PDA

View Full Version : Your Top Movies of 2017

MasterShake
12-28-2017, 08:47 AM
I always like to do these to compare with others and maybe pick up on some movies I missed. Here are mine from favorite to least favorite. I did 10 for now and only the big theater releases but I will add more later probably:

Blade Runner 2049
Coco
Dunkirk
Lady Bird
The Big Sick
The Lego Batman Movie
Justice League
Wonder Woman
Logan
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Some movies I still need to see are Get Out, The Florida Project, The Shape of the Water, and Mudbound which all look really good.

chazoe60
12-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Blade Runner
Baby Driver
Get Out
It
Logan Lucky

I didn't watch as many movies this year. I always seem to be abyear behind on these lists. I need to watch Dunkirk, The Big Sick and a few others.

BeefStew25
12-28-2017, 09:16 AM
Ex Machina
Sicario
Drive
Silence of the Lambs

chazoe60
12-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Ex Machina
Sicario
Drive
Silence of the Lambs

Such a great up-to-date list. I should have added Metropolis to mine.

Northman
12-28-2017, 09:29 AM
I didnt get out as much as i usually do this year in terms of movies, at least the big names. Have not seen Blade Runner, Dunkirk, or The Shape of Water.

But of the stuff i did see these were my favorites followed by honorable mentions,

Thor: Ragnarok
Logan
Beauty and the Beast
The Girl with All the Gifts

Honorable:

Wonder Woman
Kong: Skull Island
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming

BeefStew25
12-28-2017, 09:46 AM
Such a great up-to-date list. I should have added Metropolis to mine.

I’m going to punch you in the dick with my face.

aberdien
12-28-2017, 10:22 AM
I think I only watched three 2017 movies:

1. Atomic Blonde
2. Baby Driver
3. Logan

olathebroncofan
12-28-2017, 10:37 AM
Get Out
Thor Ragnorok
Spiderman
Planet of the apes
Cars 3
Finding dory
Ferdinand
Smurf
Sing
Despicable me 3

The the IMAX with the 13 y/o watching Star wars, and gonna hit up Jumanji with the wife tomorrow.

I might have seen another animated movie or two.

olathebroncofan
12-28-2017, 10:43 AM
I always like to do these to compare with others and maybe pick up on some movies I missed. Here are mine from favorite to least favorite. I did 10 for now and only the big theater releases but I will add more later probably:

Blade Runner 2049
Coco
Dunkirk
Lady Bird
The Big Sick
The Lego Batman Movie
Justice League
Wonder Woman
Logan

Some movies I still need to see are Get Out, The Florida Project, The Shape of the Water, and Mudbound which all look really good.

Shake...explain how Coco was better than any of the superhero movies and Dunkirk? Was it really that good?

MasterShake
12-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Shake...explain how Coco was better than any of the superhero movies and Dunkirk? Was it really that good?

The Super Hero offerings were pretty much par for the course and offered nothing new. Coco hit me in a very unexpected way and had a pretty flawless story. It was very emotionally manipulating in a way that only Pixar can pull off, and despite not knowing much about Día de los Muertos I thought using that as a backdrop for a story about family, memories, and death. Dunkirk was fantastic but I enjoyed Coco more on nearly every thematic level.

MasterShake
12-28-2017, 12:14 PM
I didnt get out as much as i usually do this year in terms of movies, at least the big names. Have not seen Blade Runner, Dunkirk, or The Shape of Water.

But of the stuff i did see these were my favorites followed by honorable mentions,

Thor: Ragnarok
Logan
Beauty and the Beast
The Girl with All the Gifts

Honorable:

Wonder Woman
Kong: Skull Island
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming

Forgot about Kong! That was a pretty fun movie. I didn't care much for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 but Spider-man was also very good!

MOtorboat
12-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Shake and the conversations he starts always reminds me how many movies I need to see.

I think the Big Sick and Wonder Woman were the two best 2017 movies I saw this year. Logan was decent, probably No. 3 followed by Spider-man and Star Wars.

I have not seen Dunkirk, Lady Bird, Coco, Ragnorok, Blade Runner, Justice League or Get Out, so I’m missing some movies mentioned here.

MasterShake
12-28-2017, 02:25 PM
Shake and the conversations he starts always reminds me how many movies I need to see.

I think the Big Sick and Wonder Woman were the two best 2017 movies I saw this year. Logan was decent, probably No. 3 followed by Spider-man and Star Wars.

I have not seen Dunkirk, Lady Bird, Coco, Ragnorok, Blade Runner, Justice League or Get Out, so I’m missing some movies mentioned here.

Yeah I JUST saw The Big Sick on Amazon Prime the other day, I had completely forgotten about it.

MOtorboat
12-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Yeah I JUST saw The Big Sick on Amazon Prime the other day, I had completely forgotten about it.

By far, the most enjoyable movie of the year for me. I loved it. I’m also a big Silicon Valley fan, so I may be a little biased.

MasterShake
12-28-2017, 03:28 PM
By far, the most enjoyable movie of the year for me. I loved it. I’m also a big Silicon Valley fan, so I may be a little biased.

Yeah I was able to meet him at the Adobe MAX conference this year in Las Vegas. He hosted one of the keynotes and was a really cool guy. He just hung out with a bunch of design nerds at a party and was very approachable.

Valar Morghulis
12-28-2017, 04:35 PM
in no particular order

Baby Driver
Atomic Blonde
Okja
Baywatch
Wonder Woman
Logan
Last Jedi
Passengers
Trainspotting 2
Gifted

MasterShake
12-28-2017, 04:40 PM
in no particular order

Baby Driver
Atomic Blonde
Okja
Baywatch
Wonder Woman
Logan
Last Jedi
Passengers
Trainspotting 2
Gifted

Damn! Just added Trainspotting 2 to my list... how did I forget that one?

Valar Morghulis
12-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Damn! Just added Trainspotting 2 to my list... how did I forget that one?

Have you watched gifted?

I loved it, but I watched it with my daughter who thought it was the greatest film ever, so I might have fed of her a little. Interested in another opinion.

Hawgdriver
12-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Blade Runner, Logan

MOtorboat
12-28-2017, 06:59 PM
I watched the original Blade Runner for the first time last week.

Valar Morghulis
12-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Just watched mudbound

This needs to be on my top ten

Amazing, I was entertained and angered in equal measure.

Timmy!
01-06-2018, 05:08 AM
1. Blade Runner 2049
2. Logan
3. Baby Driver
4. Apes
5. Dunkirk

Hawgdriver
02-15-2018, 02:48 AM
Not sure if I mentioned, but Blade Runner was pretty good.

:D

MasterShake
02-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Not sure if I mentioned, but Blade Runner was pretty good.

:D

We will take it into consideration...

NightTrainLayne
02-15-2018, 12:26 PM
I didn't see many movies 2017 movies. So just a top 2:

1. Coco
2. Silence

MasterShake
02-15-2018, 01:57 PM

1. Coco
2. Silence

When I put Coco on my list some people questioned it, so glad to get some confirmation from others! That movie was effortlessly emotional and entertaining.

chazoe60
02-15-2018, 03:25 PM

1. Coco
2. Silence

When I put Coco on my list some people questioned it, so glad to get some confirmation from others! That movie was effortlessly emotional and entertaining.

My wife took the kids to Coco and they all said it was great. I'm not much of a cartoon guy.

aberdien
02-15-2018, 06:24 PM

1. Coco
2. Silence

Silence was 2016!

But it's so good it should count for 2 years.

NightTrainLayne
02-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Silence was 2016!

But it's so good it should count for 2 years.

What the. .. Oh man, Dec 23, 2016.

chazoe60
02-20-2018, 03:23 PM
I watched 3 Billboards last week and would definitely add it to my list. Blade Runner 2049 is still the best movie of the year though.

Ridley Scott has the golden touch. Nobody has ever made smarter sci-fi than him. I know he didn't direct this but he had his hands all over it. Denis Villeneuve is creating quite a list of great flicks under his watch Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. Wow.

Magnificent Seven
02-20-2018, 03:31 PM
1. The Last Jedi
2. Coco
3. Alien: Covenant
4. Blade Runner 2049
5. Baby Driver

Magnificent Seven
02-20-2018, 03:34 PM

Blade Runner 2049
Coco
Dunkirk
Lady Bird
The Big Sick
The Lego Batman Movie
Justice League
Wonder Woman
Logan

I just saw "The Big Sick." I thought it was pretty good. I was surprised it was based on a true story.