PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like the Chiefs are Starting Mahomes

spikerman
12-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Chiefs head coach Andy Reid announced Wednesday that they’re starting QB Patrick Mahomes for Sunday’s game against the Broncos, per BJ Kissel.

http://nfltraderumors.co/chiefs-starting-rookie-qb-patrick-mahomes-week-17/

*Can a mod please correct the typo in the title? Thanks.

Rick
12-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Sounds reasonable if they don't need the win to change anything. Just like us with PL, they need to see what they have.

Northman
12-27-2017, 01:11 PM
Mahommes will out play Lynch.

BeefStew25
12-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Bold statement Cotton.

Rick
12-27-2017, 01:22 PM
If Mahomes plays the entire game, then he will already out perform Lynch.

broncofaninfla
12-28-2017, 01:34 PM
I'm hoping Mahomes plays lights out so they cut Smith this offseason. Smith would be a nice veteran addition to the Broncos.

Cugel
12-28-2017, 01:55 PM

My cat could outplay Lynch. And he's been dead for since 1979.

Cugel
12-28-2017, 02:00 PM
I'm hoping Mahomes plays lights out so they cut Smith this offseason. Smith would be a nice veteran addition to the Broncos.

#1. Alex Smith is gone next year whether Pat Mahomes does well or not. Andy Reid did not hesitate to cut Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith is due $20m next year. Chances he stays in KC are zero unless they Chefs win the SB. And who believes they will do that?

#2 With Smith under contract, he'd have to be traded. The CHefs will field numerous offers for him, but with the multitude of FA QBs the price might not be too high for a team like the Broncos. Normally a team won't trade within their division, but Andy Reid did that with McNab so . . . .

The question is whether the Broncos want to pay Alex Smith $20m a year and whether he would want to come here when clearly the Broncos are trying to draft a QB with a top 5 pick.

POssibly not. I wouldn't do it if I were Alex Smith. There are better offers that will be available.

Cugel
12-28-2017, 02:02 PM
If Mahomes plays the entire game, then he will already out perform Lynch.

Now you're frightening me. What if Lynch gets hurt again and they have to go to Osweiler, and he plays well and the Broncos win? That would screw them out of their top 5 draft pick!

Of course Osweiler did have that stinker against the Redskins, so there's hope in that scenario. But, I feel a lot more confident with Lynch in the game that the Broncos will lose.

FanInAZ
12-28-2017, 11:54 PM
#1. Alex Smith is gone next year whether Pat Mahomes does well or not. Andy Reid did not hesitate to cut Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith is due $20m next year. Chances he stays in KC are zero unless they Chefs win the SB. And who believes they will do that?

#2 With Smith under contract, he'd have to be traded. The CHefs will field numerous offers for him, but with the multitude of FA QBs the price might not be too high for a team like the Broncos. Normally a team won't trade within their division, but Andy Reid did that with McNab so . . . .

The question is whether the Broncos want to pay Alex Smith $20m a year and whether he would want to come here when clearly the Broncos are trying to draft a QB with a top 5 pick.

POssibly not. I wouldn't do it if I were Alex Smith. There are better offers that will be available.

The only teams I could see trading for him are those who believe that they're just 1 QB upgrade away from winning the SB in 2018. Its theoretically possible that some in Green Bay & Pittsburgh might believe that they'd be better off with QBs that could stay healthy for an entire season, but that's the only thing that Smith can do better the Rodgers & Roethlisberger. As far as his actual on field performance, he's obviously a downgrade. As far as the other play-off teams, who's QB can he actually out perform?

Smith might want to dictate terms to his next team this off-season, but I don't know just how much leverage he might have. I think he should be happy to sign as a FA to do what he did in KC this year, groom their QB of the future. If he's willing to accept that role, as well as the salary that comes with it, then I think Elway would give him serious consideration and I'd be happy to see him here.

BroncoWave
12-29-2017, 07:16 AM
If Smith would be ok signing here knowing we plan to pick a QB in the first round this year (if that's the plan) I would be all on board. I would hope Elway wouldn't do him dirty like the Bears did with Glennon this offseason. That makes you the kind of franchise FAs don't want to sign with.

atwater27
09-16-2018, 11:10 PM
I have a sinking feeling deep down in my stomach that Patrick Mahomes is going to rule the AFC West for a decade or so. Please be wrong mr. stomach.

Ground Control
09-16-2018, 11:49 PM
I have a sinking feeling deep down in my stomach that Patrick Mahomes is going to rule the AFC West for a decade or so. Please be wrong mr. stomach.

Looks like your stomach is on the right tract so far (heh). We'll see how things play out with more film and scheming answers. And see how he responds to pressure/ damage. Mid season will reveal all for this year (at least as far as Broncos fans are concerned).

My gut says he's going to be really good but not unbeatable. Insert Von Miller post sack, centipede crawl here...

NightTrainLayne
09-17-2018, 01:02 PM
Mahomes has even more talent than I had given him credit for.

However, he's started all of 3 games in the NFL. Teams just now have enough tape to actually start tailoring a scheme to defend against him. He'll return to Earth in the next few weeks, and by the end of the season we'll know for sure if he's the next Joe Montana or not.

I'm a little concerned, but the Andy Reid Chiefs always seem to come out of the gates strong and fade by mid-season.

Canmore
09-17-2018, 01:23 PM

More like a decade and a half.

MOtorboat
09-17-2018, 02:34 PM

However, he's started all of 3 games in the NFL. Teams just now have enough tape to actually start tailoring a scheme to defend against him. He'll return to Earth in the next few weeks, and by the end of the season we'll know for sure if he's the next Joe Montana or not.

I'm a little concerned, but the Andy Reid Chiefs always seem to come out of the gates strong and fade by mid-season.

Oh, NTL...they’ve lost two games in December/January in the last three years (13-2)...

NightTrainLayne
09-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Oh, NTL...they’ve lost two games in December/January in the last three years (13-2)...

Last season they started off 5-0, averaging 32.8 points/game. Alex Smith looked like MVP material, and they were making SuperBowl plans.

Then they lost 6 out of the next 7 games while averaging 19.8 points/game.

MOtorboat
09-17-2018, 02:49 PM
Last season they started off 5-0, averaging 32.8 points/game. Alex Smith looked like MVP material, and they were making SuperBowl plans.

Then they lost 6 out of the next 7 games while averaging 19.8 points/game.

Fair enough. This team looks scary.

dogfish
09-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Fair enough. This team looks scary.

so did last year's in september. . . point goes to NTL on this one. . .

MOtorboat
09-17-2018, 03:01 PM
so did last year's in september. . . point goes to NTL on this one. . .

I mean...they won the division...

Northman
09-17-2018, 03:03 PM
Mahommes does look good, better than any QB that we are currently trotting out on the field but KC always starts strong and then finishes like chumps. Much like the Raiders, until they can actually close the deal with a championship that hasnt happened since many of the players dropped out of their mother's vagina's its just "impressive" not much more than that. Still have to close the deal.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-17-2018, 03:07 PM
Mahomes looks great right now... but so did Deshaun Watson last year throwing 4-6 TDs a game and playing the world beater role. Got injured. How’s he look this year? It’s great that the Queefs have something to be proud of and excited about after 2 weeks, but it’s a long season. I’m not ready to “Crown their ass” quite yet.

NightTrainLayne
09-17-2018, 03:14 PM
I mean...they won the division...

I'm not trying to make the argument that they'll be an easy out. Just not sold on the idea that these two weeks will extrapolate to an entire season, much less an entire career for Mahomes.

Freyaka
09-17-2018, 03:33 PM

Yea, lets not forget the hot start that guys like RGIII and Prescott had before crashing back down to earth. He's playing some good ball. Lets see what happens when he has some tape out there for defenses to look at.

dogfish
09-17-2018, 03:38 PM
we'll see. . . he sure looks like he has a chance to be very good, and andy knows what he's doing with QBs. . . at the end of the day, i'm a lot more concerned with our QB situation than KC's. . .

Freyaka
09-17-2018, 04:26 PM
we'll see. . . he sure looks like he has a chance to be very good, and andy knows what he's doing with QBs. . . at the end of the day, i'm a lot more concerned with our QB situation than KC's. . .

And frankly, that's completely fair and reasonable.

Tangerine
09-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Remember Trevor Siemian led the league in TD passes after first 2 weeks last year....

The Chiefs are easily the best team in division right now, and will probably win it again this year. But... their concern should be their defense, which is playing like garbage. How long can Mahomes keep throwing 4-6 TDs a game? Because those numbers WILL drop significantly as the season drags on and the weather turns cold. Right now, their success is completely dependent on a guy's arm whose only started 3 games, historically this situation doesn't turn out well for teams.

Mike
09-18-2018, 10:56 AM

KC seems to fade into disappointment as the season goes. He looks great though. Will be interested to see if DC's can stop him once more game tape is available on him. No matter what, he is a step up from their last QB and adds another dimension to the team that it lacked in the past with capt checkdown.

BroncoJoe
09-18-2018, 11:16 AM
This kid scares the hell out of me as a Broncos fan.

BroncoWave
09-18-2018, 11:17 AM
This kid scares the hell out of me as a Broncos fan.

Same. He doesn't strike me as another flash in the pan type that defenses will figure out. I think he has the goods.

Hawgdriver
09-18-2018, 03:26 PM
One thing is for sure. You can't expect to rush 3 or 4 and find success against Mahomes. You need to make it funky for him. Have separate schemes for 4 halves of football for the two regular season meetings, all of them somewhat novel. Can't give him time. Maybe you have to sacrifice QB contain at times. Idk.

Will be a good litmus test of Woods.

Mike
09-18-2018, 03:32 PM
One thing is for sure. You can't expect to rush 3 or 4 and find success against Mahomes. You need to make it funky for him. Have separate schemes for 4 halves of football for the two regular season meetings, all of them somewhat novel. Can't give him time. Maybe you have to sacrifice QB contain at times. Idk.

Will be a good litmus test of Woods.

We're phooked.

Hawgdriver
09-18-2018, 03:39 PM
We're phooked.

Tune in and find out!

I'd love to be surprised. I doubt many of us have much confidence in his plans and defensive playcalling, but maybe he's a mad scientist in the lab so far, testing things.

Freyaka
09-18-2018, 03:45 PM
Tune in and find out!

I'd love to be surprised. I doubt many of us have much confidence in his plans and defensive playcalling, but maybe he's a mad scientist in the lab so far, testing things.

He contained Wilson with his plan against Seattle better than i've seen wilson contained in awhile... but ya, I got no faith in him at all.

Jsteve01
09-18-2018, 09:15 PM
Tune in and find out!

He contained Wilson with his plan against Seattle better than i've seen wilson contained in awhile... but ya, I got no faith in him at all.

Yeah last week ruin that for me. I do not get his obsession with changing what's worked for us in the Phillips 3/4. We've been a press Man team for the past five years we've got big physical corners and now all the sudden we're playing off man and Zone. It's ridiculous.

Northman
09-18-2018, 09:16 PM
Forget KC handling us, the Rams are going to annihilate us.

dogfish
09-18-2018, 11:02 PM
Yeah last week ruin that for me. I do not get his obsession with changing what's worked for us in the Phillips 3/4. We've been a press Man team for the past five years we've got big physical corners and now all the sudden we're playing off man and Zone. It's ridiculous.

woods has no balls. . . he coaches not to lose. . .

Hawgdriver
09-18-2018, 11:10 PM

Some coaches are 'live by the sword, die by the sword', but Woods is more of a 'live by the shield, live by the shield' type.

Freyaka
09-19-2018, 08:14 AM
Forget KC handling us, the Rams are going to annihilate us.

Case Keenum may die that week...

Freyaka
09-19-2018, 08:14 AM

Good ole Foxball....