PDA

View Full Version : New Star Wars... I don't want to go in the spoiler thread so just tell me YES or NO if you liked it

weazel
12-20-2017, 01:38 AM
is it good?

did you enjoy it?

where do you rank it out of all of them?

The reason I ask is I heard it was good and now I heard it's getting bad reviews... but that's just from friends telling me because I'm trying not to look at anything involving it as to not spoil it.

dogfish
12-20-2017, 02:24 AM
yea, i wanna know too. . . i'm not sure if i want to see it. . . rogue one was so damn good, and force awakens was very meh-- i don't know if i want to watch another star wars movie by that director. . .

MOtorboat
12-20-2017, 02:56 AM
A.) To Weazel, you seem to be critical of movies and television, whereas I do not.

That said:

B.) I thought it was decent. Just suspend belief and be entertained for 2 1/2 hours. It’s Star Wars. It’s campy. It’s not winning an Oscar.

C.) I enjoyed it.

D.) Rank: It is the second-best of the new three (Rogue One is an unequivocal masterpiece in my mind, best since Jedi). It’s better than the prequels, although Revenge of the Sith has its moments, but not better than any of the originals (which is sort of unfair, because that’s competing with nostalgia, film history and cinematic achievement). So, let’s say 4th or 5th amongst the nine Skywalker canon movies and 5th or 6th overall.

E.) That all said, I have massive expectations for the Han Solo stand-alone, which probably isn’t good, but would move this movie down a notch immediately.

Hawgdriver
12-20-2017, 03:01 AM
Was rogue one the most recent movie? I get them confused.

MOtorboat
12-20-2017, 03:48 AM
Was rogue one the most recent movie? I get them confused.

Yes. About the spies.

Hawgdriver
12-20-2017, 03:56 AM
that one was tight

ShaneFalco
12-20-2017, 04:25 AM
save your money

worst film of the saga.

Hawgdriver
12-20-2017, 04:44 AM
Shane, you more than anyone make me want to spend money on this movie. :lol:

Because I'm pretty sure it sucks but I want to know for sure!!

Mike
12-20-2017, 09:13 AM
No, I didn't care for it.

weazel
12-20-2017, 02:31 PM
A.) To Weazel, you seem to be critical of movies and television, whereas I do not.

That said:

B.) I thought it was decent. Just suspend belief and be entertained for 2 1/2 hours. It’s Star Wars. It’s campy. It’s not winning an Oscar.

C.) I enjoyed it.

D.) Rank: It is the second-best of the new three (Rogue One is an unequivocal masterpiece in my mind, best since Jedi). It’s better than the prequels, although Revenge of the Sith has its moments, but not better than any of the originals (which is sort of unfair, because that’s competing with nostalgia, film history and cinematic achievement). So, let’s say 4th or 5th amongst the nine Skywalker canon movies and 5th or 6th overall.

E.) That all said, I have massive expectations for the Han Solo stand-alone, which probably isn’t good, but would move this movie down a notch immediately.

I didn't mind the force awakens just because it was a blatant copy of the original, but it was entertaining. Rogue One was awesome. I don't hate the prequels as much as everyone else, I enjoy them but admit that there are times they get a little boring.

I will go see it, I think my daughter is buying me tickets anyway.

Timmy!
12-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Ask Cugel. The opposite of what he says is what you go with.

Devilspawn
12-20-2017, 03:29 PM
You need to see it for yourself. I've spoken in person to about 50 people about it. Most liked it, although they weren't blown away by it. A few loved it. A few hated it. There's no definitive answer.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-23-2017, 08:43 AM
It was... different. IMO, it was much better than Force Awakens which I didn’t much care for. It takes the saga in a whole new direction. I did not want to say I liked it at first, but I kinda did. As an old-school Star Wars nerd, it gets a “thought provoking”.

WTE
12-23-2017, 01:30 PM
Does he get the girl?

FanInAZ
12-23-2017, 02:27 PM
Does he get the girl?

Yes, a he did get a girl by the end of the movie.

Magnificent Seven
12-23-2017, 03:32 PM
7/10 for me. They gave us some bad and good surprises. Empire Strikes Back is still the best of all.

dogfish
12-24-2017, 03:02 AM
weaz, i ended up seeing it because i was stuck in boulder with an afternoon to kill, and nothing else to do. . . i wouldn't bother unless somebody is buying your ticket. . . it has some entertaining moments, but you can find something better to waste a couple hours on. . . IMO, this one and force awakens are the worst movies of the series by a wide margin. . . JJ abrams is an assclown who should have never been allowed anywhere near the franchise. . . whoever did rogue one should have done all the new ones, because that is a team who knows how to make a legit star wars movie. . .

that one, madmax fury road and the new blade runner show that you can still make a fantastic sequel to a 70's/80's legend, if it's done right. . . the abrams movies are just run of the mill weakquels. . .

Magnificent Seven
12-24-2017, 04:15 AM
weaz, i ended up seeing it because i was stuck in boulder with an afternoon to kill, and nothing else to do. . . i wouldn't bother unless somebody is buying your ticket. . . it has some entertaining moments, but you can find something better to waste a couple hours on. . . IMO, this one and force awakens are the worst movies of the series by a wide margin. . . JJ abrams is an assclown who should have never been allowed anywhere near the franchise. . . whoever did rogue one should have done all the new ones, because that is a team who knows how to make a legit star wars movie. . .

that one, madmax fury road and the new blade runner show that you can still make a fantastic sequel to a 70's/80's legend, if it's done right. . . the abrams movies are just run of the mill weakquels. . .

FYI: JJ Abrams will be directing Star Wars IX. :eek:

dogfish
12-24-2017, 04:23 AM
FYI: JJ Abrams will be directing Star Wars IX. :eek:

i know. . . i'm gonna skip it. . .

Nomad
12-24-2017, 06:09 PM
We really liked the movie, weazel.

dog.....what's wrong with Abrams? I'd have to google to see what movies he has produced.

FanInAZ
12-24-2017, 06:16 PM
We really liked the movie, weazel.

dog.....what's wrong with Abrams? I'd have to google to see what movies he has produced.

He produced The Force Awaken & wiped out the Vulcans in his Star Trek reboot.

Nomad
12-24-2017, 06:21 PM
He produced The Force Awaken & wiped out the Vulcans in his Star Trek reboot.

And this is a bad thing? I don't know much about Abrams. I thought the Force Awaken was pretty good. Were the Vulcans like Spock?

FanInAZ
12-24-2017, 06:27 PM
And this is a bad thing? I don't know much about Abrams. I thought the Force Awaken was pretty good. Were the Vulcans like Spock?

FA was little more than a rehashing of the original trilogy and yes, Spock was one of the few that weren't on the planet Vulcan when it got blown up.

chanesaw
12-24-2017, 09:54 PM
I saw it twice. The more I reflect on it, the less I like it. Wasted so much potential.

MasterShake
12-24-2017, 10:20 PM
I liked it but didn’t love it. It pushes the series in a new direction which is a good and bad thing. I’m a huge fan of the saga and my rankings are as follows from best to least to just ok:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Rogue One
5. The Last Jedi
6. Return of the Jedi
7. The Phantom Menace
8. The Force Awakens
9. Attack of the Clones

I do like all the films for different reasons and put the new one somewhere in limbo right in the middle. The last 45 minutes are some of my favorite moments of the saga.

underrated29
12-24-2017, 10:54 PM
I liked it.
It had some stupid moments that I thought maybe this is a kids movie, like what I thought about the hobbit movies. But overall I liked it. I understand it’s a new movie in the Star Wars theme not a remake. Less kiddie would have been nice.

I really liked the force awakens though. Maybe even more than rogue one. But the force awakens also had some stupid kiddie parts to it. Maybe it’s that director

dogfish
12-24-2017, 11:51 PM
dog.....what's wrong with Abrams?

i think both of his star wars movies have sucked. . .

MasterShake
12-25-2017, 11:06 AM
i think both of his star wars movies have sucked. . .

He’s only done The Force Awakens. Rian Johnson is responsible for the new one.

Mike
12-25-2017, 01:11 PM
I liked it but didn’t love it. It pushes the series in a new direction which is a good and bad thing. I’m a huge fan of the saga and my rankings are as follows from best to least to just ok:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Rogue One
5. The Last Jedi
6. Return of the Jedi
7. The Phantom Menace
8. The Force Awakens
9. Attack of the Clones

I do like all the films for different reasons and put the new one somewhere in limbo right in the middle. The last 45 minutes are some of my favorite moments of the saga.

I don't mind trying new things and telling new stories, but I think with a franchise as special to people as Star Wars you have to be careful in how you do it. I do not mind killing off the old characters. But it has to be done well and with respect. The story they are telling doesn't make sense to me and it feels like they have no respect for what came before. They are moving forward without respect with what made it Star Wars.

I don't care about the race or sex of characters, but make the characters likable and well written. And for goodness sake, cast good actors/actresses to play the part. None of which has been done in the newest movie. The characters and story just aren't compelling and worth rooting for. My daughter is their target audience, she is young and all about girl-power...she doesn't like any of the new characters and didn't like the new movie. Still loves the Clone Wars and Rebels though. Those characters are written well and are likable.

Ep 8 is easily the worst of all the movies...heck, I'd put it below the Star Wars Holiday Special. It's just a mess.

MasterShake
12-25-2017, 01:20 PM
I don't mind trying new things and telling new stories, but I think with a franchise as special to people as Star Wars you have to be careful in how you do it. I do not mind killing off the old characters. But it has to be done well and with respect. The story they are telling doesn't make sense to me and it feels like they have no respect for what came before. They are moving forward without respect with what made it Star Wars.

I don't care about the race or sex of characters, but make the characters likable and well written. And for goodness sake, cast good actors/actresses to play the part. None of which has been done in the newest movie. The characters and story just aren't compelling and worth rooting for. My daughter is their target audience, she is young and all about girl-power...she doesn't like any of the new characters and didn't like the new movie. Still loves the Clone Wars and Rebels though. Those characters are written well and are likable.

Ep 8 is easily the worst of all the movies...heck, I'd put it below the Star Wars Holiday Special. It's just a mess.

I get your thought process and agree to an extent, but how we view movies is very subjective. We don’t all have to agree on this one and I’m not trying to convince anyone otherwise. There are 9 movies now and they aren’t all going to appeal to everyone. You can only watch and react at this point. I also like the prequels more than most people my age so I understand how it feels to feel a vastly different opinion than most. But it’s mine and I’ll happily enjoy what I like and move on from what I don’t. I believe you can have a reverence for Star Wars but feel wildly different from fan to fan about the movies and that’s why I love the series.

Rick
12-25-2017, 08:51 PM
Loved it.

MasterShake
12-26-2017, 08:58 AM
Loved it.

:lol: This movie is going to divide Star Wars fans worse than the prequels. I think that alone makes it a great movie!

Northman
12-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Yea, talked to my relatives at xmas who are huge SW's fans and they HATED this movie. I have no idea what to really think about it but maybe since im not as a diehard i may enjoy it more than others. Lmao

MasterShake
12-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Yea, talked to my relatives at xmas who are huge SW's fans and they HATED this movie. I have no idea what to really think about it but maybe since im not as a diehard i may enjoy it more than others. Lmao

Well in my experience it doesn't matter if you are a huge Star Wars fan. The friend I saw it with is a big fan like me but hated it, I thought it was middling with some interesting concepts, but then my wife who I dragged to the movie with my son and his friend thought it was good. Who knows?:lol:

EDIT: I think the key to this movie is how much you love the original trilogy or even The Force Awakens. I love the OT but was pretty forgiving of the prequels. The Last Jedi seems to kind of shove the OT and even parts of The Force Awakens under the bed. As a matter of fact that is the most frustrating thing of the movie to me in some ways. They are in the middle chapter of a trilogy and it feels like they hit the reset button on so many things. You could almost ignore The Force Awakens at this point given we are back to square one with bad guys vs Rebels.

MOtorboat
12-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Well in my experience it doesn't matter if you are a huge Star Wars fan. The friend I saw it with is a big fan like me but hated it, I thought it was middling with some interesting concepts, but then my wife who I dragged to the movie with my son and his friend thought it was good. Who knows?:lol:

EDIT: I think the key to this movie is how much you love the original trilogy or even The Force Awakens. I love the OT but was pretty forgiving of the prequels. The Last Jedi seems to kind of shove the OT and even parts of The Force Awakens under the bed. As a matter of fact that is the most frustrating thing of the movie to me in some ways. They are in the middle chapter of a trilogy and it feels like they hit the reset button on so many things. You could almost ignore The Force Awakens at this point given we are back to square one with bad guys vs Rebels.

Maybe I’m just not thinking about this very hard, but what has to be reset? And how did it shove the past movies under the bed?

MasterShake
12-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Maybe I’m just not thinking about this very hard, but what has to be reset? And how did it shove the past movies under the bed?

Spoilers:

The Original Trilogy and even Prequel Trilogy set up the Skywalker family as possibly the most important people in the Universe. Anakin was labeled the "chosen one" who would bring balance to the Force, and he did but only after his son helped him redeem himself at the end of Return of the Jedi.

In The Force Awakens as far as we know The Skywalkers and their sacrifice to bring balance to the Force across 6 movies was still in play and Luke was in hiding but he left a map to himself for some odd reason. One could assume it was that he was training to be more of a badass then ever by going to the original Jedi temple and would return to cement the Skywalker legacy. At the same time we see Rey with a mysterious past who could be either a Solo/Kenobi/Skywalker herself and seems to have a connection with Luke's lightsaber and even flashes back to key events in his life when she encounters it. Meanwhile, Han Solo's kid has turned to the tutelage of a Dark Side user that saw the rise and fall of the Empire and could be an ancient evil the predates even the Sith! We establish that Leia is part of the Galactic Republic but still operates a "Resistance" under the table as the First Order scrambles to piece itself back together from the remnants of the Empire. The Resistance is dealt a huge blow with the loss of most of their capital system and fleet, and Rey defeats Kylo but loses Han Solo before traveling to meet Luke who stares at her with great apprehension opening the door for him to come back and kick all kinds of ass. Cool setup!

Then The Last Jedi basically comes in and says Rey is not important, the First Order is now the dominant military force in the galaxy once again, the Resistance are now the Rebels again, and Snoke was just a guy in the way of Kylo being the new bad guy so let's cut him in half. On top of all that, Luke tosses his lightsaber over his shoulder in the first scene in a questionable comedic moment and it turns out he just wants to die in seclusion. All of the mysteries setup in the Force Awakens mean nothing and The Last Jedi essentially resets the Galaxy to the same nature of the Galactic Civil War. In the end Luke does do some crazy ass powerful crap without leaving his island, but what we see of Luke is not a natural progression of his character from the original movies and even Hamill himself has bitched about it.

I know it sounds like I am ripping the movie, but I am merely laying out what I perceive as the big pain points some fans have with it. Now we are basically where Episode VII should have started us with only one movie left in this trilogy. They have a lot to clean up storywise and the Skywalker story as of right now basically ended with Luke giving his friends time to escape but still made the whole "Balance of the Force" narrative from the first movies seem shallow. Just my observation. I still mostly dug the new flick.

underrated29
12-26-2017, 12:59 PM
How do you do the spoiler thing because I have a reply I would like to make

MasterShake
12-26-2017, 01:24 PM
How do you do the spoiler thing because I have a reply I would like to make

use "[ ]" brackets with "spoiler" in between before you start your response, then close with "/spoiler" in brackets as well. Basically:

[spoiler] type your response then close it off with the /spoiler in brackets.

MasterShake
12-26-2017, 01:26 PM
Spoilers:

The Original Trilogy and even Prequel Trilogy set up the Skywalker family as possibly the most important people in the Universe. Anakin was labeled the "chosen one" who would bring balance to the Force, and he did but only after his son helped him redeem himself at the end of Return of the Jedi.

In The Force Awakens as far as we know The Skywalkers and their sacrifice to bring balance to the Force across 6 movies was still in play and Luke was in hiding but he left a map to himself for some odd reason. One could assume it was that he was training to be more of a badass then ever by going to the original Jedi temple and would return to cement the Skywalker legacy. At the same time we see Rey with a mysterious past who could be either a Solo/Kenobi/Skywalker herself and seems to have a connection with Luke's lightsaber and even flashes back to key events in his life when she encounters it. Meanwhile, Han Solo's kid has turned to the tutelage of a Dark Side user that saw the rise and fall of the Empire and could be an ancient evil the predates even the Sith! We establish that Leia is part of the Galactic Republic but still operates a "Resistance" under the table as the First Order scrambles to piece itself back together from the remnants of the Empire. The Resistance is dealt a huge blow with the loss of most of their capital system and fleet, and Rey defeats Kylo but loses Han Solo before traveling to meet Luke who stares at her with great apprehension opening the door for him to come back and kick all kinds of ass. Cool setup!

Then The Last Jedi basically comes in and says Rey is not important, the First Order is now the dominant military force in the galaxy once again, the Resistance are now the Rebels again, and Snoke was just a guy in the way of Kylo being the new bad guy so let's cut him in half. On top of all that, Luke tosses his lightsaber over his shoulder in the first scene in a questionable comedic moment and it turns out he just wants to die in seclusion. All of the mysteries setup in the Force Awakens mean nothing and The Last Jedi essentially resets the Galaxy to the same nature of the Galactic Civil War. In the end Luke does do some crazy ass powerful crap without leaving his island, but what we see of Luke is not a natural progression of his character from the original movies and even Hamill himself has bitched about it.

I know it sounds like I am ripping the movie, but I am merely laying out what I perceive as the big pain points some fans have with it. Now we are basically where Episode VII should have started us with only one movie left in this trilogy. They have a lot to clean up storywise and the Skywalker story as of right now basically ended with Luke giving his friends time to escape but still made the whole "Balance of the Force" narrative from the first movies seem shallow. Just my observation. I still mostly dug the new flick.

Also I would just like to point out that the reason I am OK with The Last Jedi is that the next movie can basically pull this all together and make it really cool. In my review I basically said they did some interesting things but it has to pay off in the next movie. Right now I am ok with it but TLJ can be retroactively worse or better depending on how they proceed.

MOtorboat
12-26-2017, 01:34 PM
Spoilers:

Then The Last Jedi basically comes in and says Rey is not important, the First Order is now the dominant military force in the galaxy once again, the Resistance are now the Rebels again, and Snoke was just a guy in the way of Kylo being the new bad guy so let's cut him in half.

Why should we believe Kylo's word?

On top of all that, Luke tosses his lightsaber over his shoulder in the first scene in a questionable comedic moment and it turns out he just wants to die in seclusion.

Fair criticism, as I see it. That was kind of dumb, but I laughed.

All of the mysteries setup in the Force Awakens mean nothing and The Last Jedi essentially resets the Galaxy to the same nature of the Galactic Civil War. In the end Luke does do some crazy ass powerful crap without leaving his island, but what we see of Luke is not a natural progression of his character from the original movies and even Hamill himself has bitched about it.

What should have been the natural progression? And are we confusing the "natural progression" with what we wanted to see?

We think the Skywalker storyline has ended? Has it?

Not brought up here, but what if the Benicio Del Toro/Finn/Rose plot's payoff is in the third episode?

Further questions above.

underrated29
12-26-2017, 01:36 PM
After all of this I forgot what I was going to say, but wanted to practice this while I can

underrated29
12-26-2017, 01:36 PM
I did it!

MOtorboat
12-26-2017, 01:44 PM
Good grief.

MasterShake
12-26-2017, 01:59 PM
Further questions above.

Just to clarify, those are not my criticisms personally but a summation of what I have gathered from friends and complaints on the Internet. I am of the mind that this all could very well wrap up nicely in Episode 9 and make The Last Jedi a retroactive great film instead of just the good film I think it is now.

The one question I will answer on my own behalf is the natural progression one. I think part of it is what we wanted to see, but it is also based on what we know to be true of the character. Luke was the definition of hope and morality for 3 movies and redeemed one of the most evil men in the Galaxy through sheer will. Even as a kid I never thought Luke would give up on Vader or turn his back on his friends. What they did in The Last Jedi as atypical of the character as written and expressed in the existing canon, but it came to a nice closure in my opinion and made Luke a more dynamic character. And you know Force Ghost Luke will probably play a big part moving forward

We are hijacking this thread! Any further discussions should go back to the spoiler thread.

ShaneFalco
12-26-2017, 05:39 PM
:lol: This movie is going to divide Star Wars fans worse than the prequels. I think that alone makes it a great movie!

just like north korea.

Some people love kim, some people hate him

dogfish
12-27-2017, 04:04 AM
Spoilers:

i wish the people making the damn movies cared half as much as you do. . . :laugh:

MasterShake
12-27-2017, 08:39 AM
i wish the people making the damn movies cared half as much as you do. . . :laugh:

Actually I think part of the problem is that fans are making the movies. Both JJ and Rian Johnson were fanboys and both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi seem like reactions to the films that came before them. Say what you want about George Lucas, but at least he was essentially a giant self funded studio unto himself with a great creative vision. The best Star Wars movie was were George had creative and story control and director Irvin Kershner executed his vision for him in The Empire Strikes Back. The new Art of The Last Jedi book has some of George Lucas' story treatments in them and they sound much more in line with want fans would've liked, but he needs a good director to usher forth his ideas.

I think it's telling that without George Lucas the only really universally acclaimed of the new films among fans was Rogue One, and I believe that is because it worked within the confines of the original stories without dismissing them. With the other two episodic movies so far we get a soft reboot of A New Hope and then a hodgepodge of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi with subversive elements. It ALMOST makes me long for the days about original stories involving trade disputes and podracing. :lol:

ShaneFalco
12-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Actually I think part of the problem is that fans are making the movies. Both JJ and Rian Johnson were fanboys and both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi seem like reactions to the films that came before them. Say what you want about George Lucas, but at least he was essentially a giant self funded studio unto himself with a great creative vision. The best Star Wars movie was were George had creative and story control and director Irvin Kershner executed his vision for him in The Empire Strikes Back. The new Art of The Last Jedi book has some of George Lucas' story treatments in them and they sound much more in line with want fans would've liked, but he needs a good director to usher forth his ideas.

I think it's telling that without George Lucas the only really universally acclaimed of the new films among fans was Rogue One, and I believe that is because it worked within the confines of the original stories without dismissing them. With the other two episodic movies so far we get a soft reboot of A New Hope and then a hodgepodge of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi with subversive elements. It ALMOST makes me long for the days about original stories involving trade disputes and podracing. :lol:

No one will ever convince me Rian Johnson is a fan of star wars.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlissfulTartArmyworm-max-1mb.gif

Shazam!
04-04-2018, 05:42 AM
The Mouse has killed Star Wars.

People thought the prequels were bad. They have been redeemed through time and Disneys horrific management of one of the most beloved series of all time.

The Force Awakens felt forced and desperate to try and catch that Star Wars charm and it never achieves it.

Rogue One was nauseating, with the exception of the 2 minute end scene.

All i heard of the Last Jedi makes me nof want to see it. Critics gave it great reviews (i think most are afraid to pan a Disney flick because of fear of retaliation by Disney with their many, many movies), but real fandom has not been kind.

Solo? OMG it looks laughably bad, and the lead doesnt even rsemble a young Harrison Ford.

Once Disney purchased SW i knew it was the death knell, but i tried to ne optimistic.

It feels like i lost something, that Star Wars epic, and its like a childhood friend has been gruesomely murdered.

Shane im also with you on TWD. OMG it has become unbearable. Im so invested though i feel compelled to continue, but every episode is becoming more and more filler.

Poet
04-04-2018, 08:20 PM
It's one of the greatest movies of all time.

chazoe60
04-04-2018, 09:14 PM
It's one of the greatest movies of all time.

You're so full of shit. :laugh::laugh:

Poet
04-04-2018, 09:21 PM
You're so full of shit. :laugh::laugh:

Hey man, I ******* loved that movie. It's a strong push away from the old flicks, which are good but overrated because of nostalgia. We get new character storylines, the battles were incredible, the dialogue was actually good. And they made what I felt like was a logical end for Skywalker. The casino storyline was the only weak part of the film.

chazoe60
04-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Hey man, I ******* loved that movie. It's a strong push away from the old flicks, which are good but overrated because of nostalgia. We get new character storylines, the battles were incredible, the dialogue was actually good. And they made what I felt like was a logical end for Skywalker. The casino storyline was the only weak part of the film.

Good for you bud.

Poet
04-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Good for you bud.

I just want to be happy, Chazoe.

chazoe60
04-04-2018, 09:42 PM
I just want to be happy, Chazoe.

Then become a Rockies fan.

Poet
04-04-2018, 09:45 PM
Then become a Rockies fan.

I love the Dodgers.

Tned
04-04-2018, 09:49 PM

If by new story lines, you mean orphan kid, desert planet.... Ok, i"m not going to go any farther, since this isn't a spoiler thread, but geez, while I liked these two movies, they really are more retelling the same old story, with only slightly different characters, than the original two movies. I assume they went that route for the nostalgia factor, rather than the writers simply being incompetent and unimaginative.

Again, I enjoyed both movies. A couple weekends ago I rewatched force awakens and then Jedi, but the the parallels to the first two movies are really almost comical.

Tned
04-04-2018, 09:57 PM
Just to clarify, those are not my criticisms personally but a summation of what I have gathered from friends and complaints on the Internet. I am of the mind that this all could very well wrap up nicely in Episode 9 and make The Last Jedi a retroactive great film instead of just the good film I think it is now.

The one question I will answer on my own behalf is the natural progression one. I think part of it is what we wanted to see, but it is also based on what we know to be true of the character. Luke was the definition of hope and morality for 3 movies and redeemed one of the most evil men in the Galaxy through sheer will. Even as a kid I never thought Luke would give up on Vader or turn his back on his friends. What they did in The Last Jedi as atypical of the character as written and expressed in the existing canon, but it came to a nice closure in my opinion and made Luke a more dynamic character. And you know Force Ghost Luke will probably play a big part moving forward

We are hijacking this thread! Any further discussions should go back to the spoiler thread.

I typed out a whole long response in spoiler tags before I read the hijack/go to other thread line. :(

I like this spoiler tag thing. Better than laser tag or red tag specials.

chanesaw
04-06-2018, 08:35 PM
Hated Last Jedi. So much potential wasted.

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Rogue One
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
Huge Gap
6. Revenge of the Sith
Another big gap
All the rest

Poet
04-07-2018, 12:05 AM
If by new story lines, you mean orphan kid, desert planet.... Ok, i"m not going to go any farther, since this isn't a spoiler thread, but geez, while I liked these two movies, they really are more retelling the same old story, with only slightly different characters, than the original two movies. I assume they went that route for the nostalgia factor, rather than the writers simply being incompetent and unimaginative.

Again, I enjoyed both movies. A couple weekends ago I rewatched force awakens and then Jedi, but the the parallels to the first two movies are really almost comical.

We have a former stormtrooper who is accurate (hehe) a long term grudge match between two equally talented force users, almost all the old mainstay characters being deceased, and we'll get to actually see the long term war being fought. I think there are plenty of differences in the plot and the story. And they're all coming to fruition.