PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

WARHORSE
12-19-2017, 11:45 AM
I love the Broncos. But Im realizing my desire to watch football is disappearing.

I have 1st row tickets behind the Broncos bench with my family when they vs KC in a week......Im not even pumped.

31 plus years of being a Bronco fan and all of a sudden, its like Im over it.

Its NOT because the Broncos are having a losing season. Ive seen losing seasons come and go, Ive always still been just as energetic.

Even watching other games.

Its just doesnt seem the same.

Anyone else feeling anything like this?

GEM
12-19-2017, 11:57 AM
I've said it during this season a couple of times. Something is off and it's not just the Broncos losing. I watch one game a week anymore.

Buff
12-19-2017, 12:04 PM
I can remember being apathetic during McDaniels' second year - winning solves most of that...

But I will say that the politics thing has thrown a wild card in this year. Whether you're annoyed with the commissioner, or the owners, or the kneeling players - it has been divisive and turned people off in a way that the NFL has never had to deal with previously...

Between the politics, the head injury stuff, and the lack of competitiveness across a lot of games - it feels like the NFL stock is declining for the first time in as long as I can remember.

But if we were gearing up for the playoffs I feel like most of that would be an afterthought.

WARHORSE
12-19-2017, 12:06 PM
I can remember being apathetic during McDaniels' second year - winning solves most of that...

But I will say that the politics thing has thrown a wild card in this year. Whether you're annoyed with the commissioner, or the owners, or the kneeling players - it has been divisive and turned people off in a way that the NFL has never had to deal with previously...

Between the politics, the head injury stuff, and the lack of competitiveness across a lot of games - it feels like the NFL stock is declining for the first time in as long as I can remember.

But if we were gearing up for the playoffs I feel like most of that would be an afterthought.

I do believe this has affected me, but still, I feel I would usually state my thoughts and then move on.

Even during the games I watch.

Im not tuning in.....even when I tune in.

Buff
12-19-2017, 12:09 PM
I do believe this has affected me, but still, I feel I would usually state my thoughts and then move on.

Even during the games I watch.

Im not tuning in.....even when I tune in.

The 8 game losing streak stole our season. We essentially got to enjoy one month of football this year and the rest has been pain.

Krugan
12-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Im with you on this one.

The leadership inside the league office and its inability to even be remotely consistent has left me unhappy for a long time.

Not to mention the parity has left me longing for players to actually stay with a team long enough to at least have a reason to buy a jersey.

And to top it off, im over all the political usage of a GAME. Great idea, wrong platform. The losing streak just cemented my tv only being on for minimal chunks, although the last 3 weeks i have watched the majority of the games, just to see how bad it really had become, i guess morbid curiosity would be a good description.

Maybe the league can right the ship, but its not looking to promising from my upper level seat.

chazoe60
12-19-2017, 12:48 PM
I think the rules and piss poor officiating are huge contributors to my lack of interest. I don't think I've watched a full 4 quarters of non-Broncos football this season, and I've only watched roughly a 3rd of Broncos games.

It's becoming an over-officiated steaming pile of garbage. I also absolutely loathe the team that has dominated the sport for the better part of a decade and a half. I don't loathe them because they dominate I loathe them because they are made up of loathsome people. A pretty boy QB who is a bitch boy, a HC that is an underhanded cheating shit stain, an OC who literally attempted to destroy my favorite team from the inside and an owner who buddies up to judges to get his cheating ass-hat of a QB off of a well deserved suspension.

The NFL is slowly becoming the NBA and that is not a good thing.

Buff
12-19-2017, 12:51 PM
I think the rules and piss poor officiating are huge contributors to my lack of interest. I don't think I've watched a full 4 quarters of non-Broncos football this season, and I've only watched roughly a 3rd of Broncos games.

It's becoming an over-officiated steaming pile of garbage. I also absolutely loathe the team that has dominated the sport for the better part of a decade and a half. I don't loathe them because they dominate I loathe them because they are made up of loathsome people. A pretty boy QB who is a bitch boy, a HC that is an underhanded cheating shit stain, an OC who literally attempted to destroy my favorite team from the inside and an owner who buddies up to judges to get his cheating ass-hat of a QB off of a well deserved suspension.

The NFL is slowly becoming the NBA and that is not a good thing.

I don't know man - ever since we lived through replacement officials during the referee lockout, I have a new found appreciation for them. If anything, I think the rules committee is more to blame for all of their nonsense rules like what is a catch vs not a catch, celebrating vs not celebrating, etc. I think the officials do a pretty good job.

chazoe60
12-19-2017, 12:52 PM
I don't know man - ever since we lived through replacement officials during the referee lockout, I have a new found appreciation for them. If anything, I think the rules committee is more to blame for all of their nonsense rules like what is a catch vs not a catch, celebrating vs not celebrating, etc. I think the officials do a pretty good job.

I'm probably too hard on officials and I agree it's more the rules than the men enforcing them. You're right.

MOtorboat
12-19-2017, 12:57 PM
I’ve found myself more interested in the league this year than the last couple. I watch the Broncos regardless, but I have just been more in-tune with what’s going on around the league more so than I have for probably three or four years. I don’t really see the problems in officiating some do and I don’t care about the politics, either way.

Maybe I’m an outlier.

NightTrainLayne
12-19-2017, 01:01 PM
The 8 game losing streak stole our season. We essentially got to enjoy one month of football this year and the rest has been pain.

I guess this is it. I was really excited to play the Cowboys. The Buffalo loss worried me, but still was amped for the Raiders and Giants games.

But man. . .after that Giants game I knew we were in trouble, and haven't been able to enjoy one since.

It is interesting though. In previous seasons when I knew we weren't good, I still enjoyed watching other teams. I didn't even turn on MNF last night. That's different. But I think it might be after our Great Manning Years, it's such a let down that it's affecting my interest in all games for a bit. I'm guessing it will come back.

Rick
12-19-2017, 01:02 PM
I have only watched Denver games for years.

I do have to say it annoys the crap out of me when they have to pan over the players and talk to death about who is kneeling or sitting or doing handstands but it is just an annoyance and doesn't change whether I watch or not, I just don't watch the anthem.

Slick
12-19-2017, 01:02 PM
My 1 and a half year old is the reason why I'm not watching as much football as I used to. She won't let me sit on my ass for 3 hours staring at the TV.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-19-2017, 01:03 PM

This.

I would be more interested in the Broncos this year, as Buff stated, but my overall interest in the league as a whole is likely gone forever. Denver is the only game I care to watch in its entirety anymore. I just don’t care how the rest plays out.

Shazam!
12-19-2017, 01:12 PM
Its just because of how bad the team has been this year. I doubt anyone made statements like this when PFM arrived to his departure.

Dreadnought
12-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Its been a long time coming for me; I think the success we had from 2011-16 papered over a lot of my issues, but this year has revived whats really been brewing a long time.

I find I increasingly don't like a good number of the players. Part of rooting for a team for many is suspending your disbelief; the guys on MY team are all straight-shooters who are good sportsmen and who beat YOUR team fair and square. Then they go home to their wives and kids and help underprivileged youths...while the guys from YOUR team are no-good cheating thugs and goons, and whose fans are either convicts or mullet-wearing goobers who date blood kin. None of that was ever true, obviously. Duh.

Over the past years its become harder to make believe my guys are actually the good guys. The league is full of Prima-Donnas who posture after making even a decent play and do celebrations when they score and are still down by 17. I hate that kind of shit, and yes, that includes Aqib Talib, as good as he is. Throw in the fact that pass heavy offenses bore me, then all the political bullshit, and I'm kind of drifting away

Nomad
12-19-2017, 01:41 PM
I say I'm losing interest, but with the lousy winter we're having (little to no snow), I find myself watching and complaining. :D

Freyaka
12-19-2017, 01:42 PM
I've said it during this season a couple of times. Something is off and it's not just the Broncos losing. I watch one game a week anymore.

I didn't even lose interest the 4-12 year. This season, if we get down by a big amount by half, I'm off doing something else. If I watch another game other than the Broncos, it's the Jaguars and only if I don't have other things to do.

Nomad
12-19-2017, 01:45 PM

We refer to the officiating, but for most, more than likely mean the rules. I get the safety aspect, but the league has watered down its product.

broncofaninfla
12-19-2017, 01:50 PM
The politics ruined a lot of it for me. I usually fly to 2-3 games a year, buy 2-3 shirts or jerseys but after the mass kneeling I took a break and stopped watching which is unheard of for me and have stopped buying anything NFL. It just lost it's luster with the ignorance, I saw the players in a different light and lost my desire to support them. Add to it the way the season has went and the lack of hope with VJ at the helm, it's tough to adjust my schedule or make much of an effort to watch them. I go way back as a Broncos fan, up until this season I've watched nearly every game since the mid to late 70's but couldn't stomach the politics when the protests started so I canceled Sunday Ticket and stopped watching. I've watched a couple of the recent games but just isn't the same. There's nothing like winning to excite a fan base but with VJ and some of players it's tough to have any optimism. I know a lot of fans who stopped watching this season, I don't think its gong to get any better anytime soon.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Hey, what the freak is wrong with mullets?!

Dreadnought
12-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Hey, what the freak is wrong with mullets?!

Not a thing for the fine people of Western MO, Eastern KS, and Arkansas

BroncoNut
12-19-2017, 02:22 PM
yeah, it's called growing up and realizing that there is more to life than a silly football team. like work and stuff

HORSEPOWER 56
12-19-2017, 02:30 PM
Not a thing for the fine people of Western MO, Eastern KS, and Arkansas

I’m too old for a mullet now, but I soon hope to start work on my “skullet”. That is, as soon as Mother Nature finishes taking my top hair... I threaten the wife with it often. :D

I think the biggest problem I have this season, other than it just being a bad year for the Broncos, is a stunning lack of execution. You can see where the league is going and it’s college. Instead of elevating college players to pro skills, the NFL is catering to these spread shotgun, can’t pass block, can’t read a defense, dink and dunk zone read offenses and it sucks. I have a bad feeling it’s only going to get worse. Pretty soon guys like Bolles will be the “elite” LTs.

Hawgdriver
12-19-2017, 02:34 PM
When WARHORSE gets emo, you know shit has gone sideways.

Dreadnought
12-19-2017, 03:55 PM
You can see where the league is going and it’s college. Instead of elevating college players to pro skills, the NFL is catering to these spread shotgun, can’t pass block, can’t read a defense, dink and dunk zone read offenses and it sucks. I have a bad feeling it’s only going to get worse. Pretty soon guys like Bolles will be the “elite” LTs.

And I concur with this completely

BroncoJoe
12-19-2017, 04:06 PM
I still enjoy Sundays watching football. Redzone when the Broncos aren't on, and Redzone on the tablet when the Broncos are playing. Thursday, Monday and Sunday night simply depend on the teams playing.

Timmy!
12-19-2017, 06:43 PM
I'm watching less, but that's probably because I don't have Sunday ticket anymore.

Hawgdriver
12-19-2017, 06:48 PM
It's not just you btw.

aberdien
12-19-2017, 07:08 PM
yeah, it's called growing up and realizing that there is more to life than a silly football team. like work and stuff
Bingo. I grew up watching the team ritualistically as a kid, getting Madden for my birthday every year, staying up all night playing it, going outside and playing catch, watching NFL Primetime every Sunday night, etc. I feel like nostalgia is the thing that has kept me invested the most, and less nostalgic I am about my youth, the less I care about football. I got to see my favorite team be successful for years and win a Superbowl. My childhood desire has been fulfilled. There's not much left for me other than occasional entertainment.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-19-2017, 07:20 PM
It's not just you btw.

You chose option a.
I was leaning towards b or c.

“Yes, it’s you”
Or just leave him hangin

ShaneFalco
12-19-2017, 07:37 PM
they also moved teams out of SD, STL, and Oakland.

Imagine being one of the people in those cities and trying to watch the NFL.

WARHORSE
12-20-2017, 12:58 AM
When WARHORSE gets emo, you know shit has gone sideways.

Damn.

See?

Emo?

Smh.

lol

Its sickening

WARHORSE
12-20-2017, 01:13 AM
Some of whatt drives me nuts and has taken a huge step upwards is the time players use the microphone to spout their hate of the league, the commissioner, the flag, the president, their contract, the black coaches, the country, being gay, supporting my gay teamate for coming out, the salary cap, the collective bargaining agreement, Elway cutting a player they dont think is right, big corporations taking advantage of the little players, (aghast!) , the kneeling, etc.

Its becoming politicized and politically corrected.

Since when did football give a rip if you were gay? Just get your lips punched in or punch someone elses in and then on to the next play. Be a man.

And who gives a rip if you dont like the president? Shut the hell up and try to make a play, I dont tune in to hear your hurt feelings.

Do your political fighting on your own time.

It used to be about the Broncos breakin a foot off in Bradys ass and makin him beg for more.

The pureness of team and football is now gone.

I think thats what it is for me.......

weazel
12-20-2017, 01:30 AM
I love the Broncos. But Im realizing my desire to watch football is disappearing.

I have 1st row tickets behind the Broncos bench with my family when they vs KC in a week......Im not even pumped.

Its NOT because the Broncos are having a losing season. Ive seen losing seasons come and go, Ive always still been just as energetic.

totally agree, I haven't seen the last 6 games and missed a couple of the first 4 when they were winning. I watched a lot of college ball this year though.

dogfish
12-20-2017, 01:44 AM
aside from despising goodell, i really don't give a shit about any politics. . . i'm more with chazzy-- the officiating absolutely has taken away a lot of my enjoyment of the game. . . and yes, that is for sure more on the league office than the refs themselves. . . the lack of clarity over what is a catch is just asinine, and i am terribly sick of DBs getting flagged for not getting out of the receiver's way and allowing the catch. . . which is, of course, completely the league office's fault for their tremendous bungling of the concussion issue. . . plus, play overall is sloppier (and O-line play in general is shit) because they don't have nearly enough padded practices anymore-- chalk that up to the brain damage issue as well. . . but regardless of the reasons behind it, i just find it increasingly less interesting to watch a game that stops every three damn plays for another penalty. . . the other penalty issue that just pisses me off is the automatic first down for illegal contact. . . that's the most bullshit rule in the game! it should be five yards and replay the down. . . stop giving offenses cop-out 1sts on ticky-tack hand-fighting when it's third and long, or third and forever. . .

i also am increasingly turned off by the league's blatant greed, particularly when they mix it with such a spectacular brand of hypocrisy. . . full-price pre-season games, thursday games all year, saturday games, games in foreign countries (with a desire to expand further), the attempt to add more regular season games and/or more playoff teams. . . and on and on, all while talking player safety out the side of their mouths. . . it's gets a little hard to swallow after a while, on top of the price-gouging that's happened at stadiums for years. . . throw in their shamefully inconsistent and random discipline policies (gronk should have been suspended a month), it really makes their brand less appealing. . .

and really, the quality of games is low overall. . . they still have more parity than other leagues, but with the way today's rules favor the passing game, there are quite a few teams out there who have no QB, and little to no hope. . . and with shit line play and a real dearth of impact running backs, it's not like there's much chance of building a solid offense around a running game anymore-- you CAN still build a defensive powerhouse, but we've seen that the window tends to be small for them. . . a lot of games that were legit defensive struggles in the 80s and 90s are now just brutal puntfests that feature incompetent offenses rather than tough, physical, close-played football. . . for me, there was more drama to the game when teams didn't jump in the no-huddle and move up and down the field at will. . . some of the changes were inevitable, but but that doesn't mean i have to like them. . . i still watch and enjoy, but the magic's mostly gone. . . they managed to kill it with their greed and stupidity. . .

Cugel
12-20-2017, 11:31 AM

I think a lot of people hate the Patriots because they are so smug and conceited and because they were never satisfied with being good, they had to bend the rules constantly.

Deflate-gate was really a bunch of B.S. It never had any chance of changing the outcome of games. It probably wasn't even intentional cheating. It was just another in a long string of things the Patriots did that infuriated people when they learned of it.

Personally, I hate the Patriots and cannot like Brady, but your carping sounds totally like sour grapes, because "pretty boy" is just jealousy not an actual complaint. He's the best QB of all time. He's won more SBs than anybody.

But, I think fans are disgruntled seeing the Patriots win every damn year. I'd like to see someone else win this year. That's why the blown call against the Steelers TD in the last game made so many people so unhappy.

Cugel
12-20-2017, 11:36 AM
and really, the quality of games is low overall. . . they still have more parity than other leagues, but with the way today's rules favor the passing game, there are quite a few teams out there who have no QB, and little to no hope

Now THIS is a very good criticism. Does the NFL want to become like basketball where teams only have a chance if they have Lebron or Steff Curry? 28 out of 30 teams have zero chance.

I predicted before the season that the GSW would win in 5 games because the NBA would be too embarrassed to permit a sweep, so in game 4 the refs came out and started calling every thing against the GSW. Once that mission was accomplished, and the series was extended to game 5 they could relax and just let GSW win it. And that's what they did. I don't do coronations so I didn't bother to watch.

Apparently people love these super-teams, but I hate them and refuse to watch NBA basketball at all. If the NFL wants to go in the direction of having about 6 or 8 teams that have a chance every year to win the SB because they have an elite QB I won't watch very long.

The one thing the NFL has going for it is parity. The notion that the Carolina Panthers and Broncos are the worst 2 teams in the NFL in 2011, but in 2015 they meet in the SB. That could never happen in basketball or baseball.

But, if everything is dependent on having an elite QB and there are only about 6 or 8 of them in the NFL that sucks for 24 or 26 other teams, whose fans have no chance.

Cugel
12-20-2017, 11:39 AM
I'd also say Dogfish is right and the NFL catch rule is hated by everybody. I don't know one person who likes it. Why can't they just say "if it looks like a catch without super-slo-mo then it's a catch. Forget the stupid fancy rules."

MOtorboat
12-20-2017, 12:28 PM
I'd also say Dogfish is right and the NFL catch rule is hated by everybody. I don't know one person who likes it. Why can't they just say "if it looks like a catch without super-slo-mo then it's a catch. Forget the stupid fancy rules."

Holy smokes would this be a disaster? No. The rule is quite specific, and I’d prefer that. I’m sorry if this pisses anyone off, but it really doesn’t seem that complicated to me. Going to the ground, don’t bobble it or let the ground move it. Standing up, two feet and a football move. I think it’s actually fairly consistent.

ShaneFalco
12-20-2017, 03:19 PM
you can solve lack of qbs by adding a bigger roster.

Sloter would still be a Bronco

tripp
12-20-2017, 03:47 PM
The magic when Peyton was here gave every game, and every season something to be excited about. Now that he's gone it's left a void for me.

The politics surrounding Kap, the kneeling during the national anthem, and owners being closet racists is becoming too much of a soap opera for me (I understand these are real and important issues).
Nearly every big play is more than likely to go back because of a flag. Not allowed big hits anymore, doesn't really seem to be any big rivalries anymore between any teams (outside of Pit & Cinci).
Drives me nuts how everything little thing is analysed by the media and former players. Tom Brady is allowed to yell at Josh McD, but Antonio Brown can't yell on the sidelines, it's too much.

And to be honest I'm not excited about the future of this organization with VJ leading the team, I'm not excited about Paxton Lynch, and the defense is losing it's grip as #1 defense in the NFL.

Now if we were to somehow get Kirk Cousins in the off-season along with an OL, it'd be very hard not to be excited about the future with this team.

At the end of the day, give me a competent QB, and make us competitive, and I'll be happy. Don't have to be the Patriots every year, just keep us in the mix each season would be nice.

dogfish
12-20-2017, 07:08 PM
Holy smokes would this be a disaster? No. The rule is quite specific, and I’d prefer that. I’m sorry if this pisses anyone off, but it really doesn’t seem that complicated to me. Going to the ground, don’t bobble it or let the ground move it. Standing up, two feet and a football move. I think it’s actually fairly consistent.

the enforcement of the rule is incredibly inconsistent. . .

The Glue Factory
12-20-2017, 07:14 PM

Sounds like 90% of all the rules.

MOtorboat
12-20-2017, 08:03 PM

Is it?

topscribe
12-20-2017, 10:23 PM
I'm not much of a football fan anymore. I'm a Broncos fan.

I'm there for the Broncos. I don't care much for anything else.

Probably won't even watch the Super Bowl this year . . .

Shazam!
12-21-2017, 06:07 AM
The magic when Peyton was here gave every game, and every season something to be excited about. Now that he's gone it's left a void for me...

Do you think that was any better when John Elway retired? That time was even worse.

Its because the Broncos have been so bad you feel this way, we as fans havent felt this was in years. That's why i asked did you feel this way during the Manning era.

This offseason will be an exciting one. New QB coming to town. Hope they invest in a young star like Mayfield and not Cousins.

tripp
12-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Do you think that was any better when John Elway retired? That time was even worse.

Its because the Broncos have been so bad you feel this way, we as fans havent felt this was in years. That's why i asked did you feel this way during the Manning era.

This offseason will be an exciting one. New QB coming to town. Hope they invest in a young star like Mayfield and not Cousins.

That's where I disagree because I'm not interested in grooming a QB and being mediocre with a top 5 defense when we can win now with Cousins. I would have no problem with drafting a young QB if we didn't have the likes of Wolfe, Von, CHJ, in their prime and locked up long term (not to mention we have Roby, Ray, Barrett, Simmons all stud defenders).

FanInAZ
12-22-2017, 01:57 AM

Post Elway is different for me then post Manning. I haven’t had near the passion for football since we won our 1st under Elway. We reached the top of the mountain, now what? We would need to be on the verge of doing something unprecedented in league history, like winning 3 SBs in a row. When he retired, we had every reason to believe that we could continue our success with Brian Griese who had been groomed to be his successor. We had TD as our RB and the best OL in football. Our D was one of the league’s best as well. His failure to live up to our expectations was very disappointing to watch.

When Manning retired, the only players we had confidence in were our D & our top 2 WRs. Some believed in CJ, but no one believed in our OL. Then when his groomed successor left town for more money, and a 7th round pick beat out Mark Sanchez, I had a really bad feeling about things to come. Last year turned out much better then I feared, but this year was everything I was afraid it would be.

Shazam!
12-22-2017, 05:15 AM

Post Elway is different for me then post Manning. I haven’t had near the passion for football since we won our 1st under Elway. We reached the top of the mountain, now what? We would need to be on the verge of doing something unprecedented in league history, like winning 3 SBs in a row. When he retired, we had every reason to believe that we could continue our success with Brian Griese who had been groomed to be his successor. We had TD as our RB and the best OL in football. Our D was one of the league’s best as well. His failure to live up to our expectations was very disappointing to watch.

When Manning retired, the only players we had confidence in were our D & our top 2 WRs. Some believed in CJ, but no one believed in our OL. Then when his groomed successor left town for more money, and a 7th round pick beat out Mark Sanchez, I had a really bad feeling about things to come. Last year turned out much better then I feared, but this year was everything I was afraid it would be.

I'm sorry but you are looking back on it through orange colored glasses.

No way in the world the Broncos were going to just keep marching on without Elway. Griese was just the starter by default in 99. He wasn't chosen to be the successor, Bubby Brister was supposed to take over and he fell on his face.

Broncoknight30
12-22-2017, 05:36 AM

No, its not just you.

For some reason the media seems to be only concerned about football concussions. Not the concussions in other sports that happen. Not those. At least those sports are not hyped and hollywood certainly has not made a movie about any of those sports being horrible for your heath. Every boxing movie in hollywood it seems has nothing to do with it being horrible for our health.

The NFL and football is in a death spiral. I use to care, and I really don't care all that much anymore.

FanInAZ
12-22-2017, 05:37 AM

No way in the world the Broncos were going to just keep marching on without Elway. Griese was just the starter by default in 99. He wasn't chosen to be the successor, Bubby Brister was supposed to take over and he fell on his face.

Prior to coming to the Broncos, Bubby Brister spent 7 years with the Steelers, 2 with the Eagles & 1 with the Jets. You don't bring in a 10 year vet QB, who only spent a combine 3 years with his previous 2 teams, to be you QB of the future.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrisBu00.htm

You might bring him in to be your backup QB for your HoFer and a stop gap until the 3rd round drafty QB is ready, but you'd never bring him as your long term solution.

Shazam!
12-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Prior to coming to the Broncos, Bubby Brister spent 7 years with the Steelers, 2 with the Eagles & 1 with the Jets. You don't bring in a 10 year vet QB, who only spent a combine 3 years with his previous 2 teams, to be you QB of the future.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrisBu00.htm

You might bring him in to be your backup QB for your HoFer and a stop gap until the 3rd round drafty QB is ready, but you'd never bring him as your long term solution.

Bubby Brister was to be Denver's starter in 1999. Not Brian Griese. It was a shock that Shanahan benched Brister for Griese but Brister was horrendous in preseason. Reports out of the locker room was the vets were not happy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2017, 06:15 PM
The only thing I remember about Brister from that year was letting a snap go through the end zone against Dallas.

Northman
12-22-2017, 06:29 PM
Brister had a fender bender with the Ferrari so thus Griese took over.

FanInAZ
12-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Bubby Brister was to be Denver's starter in 1999. Not Brian Griese. It was a shock that Shanahan benched Brister for Griese but Brister was horrendous in preseason. Reports out of the locker room was the vets were not happy.

Yes, he was supposed to start 1999, but that was his 11th season as a pro, which is not what your looking for in your QB of the future. Furthermore, you don't take a QB in the 3rd round (like Griese was '98) in order to be a career backup, but to eventually take over the reins when he was ready to do so. Griese was Elway's designated heir apparent the day he was drafted, Brister was just supposed to be a stop gap until he was ready. Brister was effective when starting 4 games in '98 when Elway went down with an injury (the Broncos won all 4 of those games), but failed to keep the starting job that was handed to him in the subsequent preseason.

BroncoTech
12-22-2017, 09:04 PM
they also moved teams out of SD, STL, and Oakland.

Imagine being one of the people in those cities and trying to watch the NFL.

As a fan in Oakland, I don't have to imagine. The NFL enters into exclusive agreements that screw orphaned fans. The rules make it so we have to consult with NY to know if it's a catch. Players kneeling don't bother me, but watching Lincoln Kennedy on Raiders chalk talk showing how our linebacker follows the outside man on crossing routes instead of covering the guy crossing to the inside was bad enough the first time. I then watched the Raiders run that play, Kansas City, the Indy all making big gains on our poor coverage. This team is poorly coached and executes poorly. It's no fun to watch but even so, I'm rather indifferent and caring less and less. I've been a fan since '63.

No, you are not the only one.

Ground Control
12-23-2017, 01:45 AM

Political statements are no new wildcard. They have existed as long as athletes have competed together, and have shared the prestige of being representatives of their cultures, and as long as they have realized thier voices carry strength. It's certainly not new in America, regarding racial oppression. So what's left is a guy feeling heavy after decades of being a fan of a team that is a multi-billion dollar enterprise, that cares little about him, outside of his commercial value. That is a real threat to NFL stock, but it's also nothing new.

Maybe what is new is the games being played by owners regarding viewer access to match-ups that matter to them, camera views, and the competition for attention that has become reality in the modern era. When we have so many other high quality entertainment options available, it's much harder to remain engaged with a sports team that refuses to remain engaged with us.

Kneeling and rules definitely play a part but most of America has moved past the chains that the NFL tries to impose on it's products. This is much more important to our ennui than players that we politically disagree with. If every player we hated made us stop watching games, the NFL would have ended decades ago.

Shazam!
12-23-2017, 03:26 PM

Yes, he was supposed to start 1999, but that was his 11th season as a pro, which is not what your looking for in your QB of the future. Furthermore, you don't take a QB in the 3rd round (like Griese was '98) in order to be a career backup, but to eventually take over the reins when he was ready to do so. Griese was Elway's designated heir apparent the day he was drafted, Brister was just supposed to be a stop gap until he was ready. Brister was effective when starting 4 games in '98 when Elway went down with an injury (the Broncos won all 4 of those games), but failed to keep the starting job that was handed to him in the subsequent preseason.

Um. Right. I was saying he was thrust into the job and it wasn't just 'his job' by default. It was earlier compared to Mannings retirement and the circumstances were different in 99.

FanInAZ
12-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Um. Right. I was saying he was thrust into the job and it wasn't just 'his job' by default. It was earlier compared to Mannings retirement and the circumstances were different in 99.

There is a big difference between Griese being promoted ahead of schedule and Siemian being given a promotion that he was never supposed to be considered for. Furthermore, there is far more to comparing post Elway to post Manning then just the QBs that took over for them. The O that Griese inherited from Elway was loaded with talent, while who Siemian inherited from Manning was lacking.

Do I really need to do a position by position comparison of ’99 and ’16 teams to determine which one had more talent? It could be debated that Thomas & Sanders are better than Smith & McCaffrey, but what about the other 8 players? TD vs. CJ? Sharpe vs. I have no idea who I should list as our #1 TE. Was there a single player on the ’16 OL who was better than his counterpart in ’99? Yes, the D that was inherited by the ’16 team was better than the ’99, but the disparity in talent when comparing the Ds isn’t close to what it is when comparing the Os.

Broncoknight30
12-23-2017, 06:42 PM
There is a big difference between Griese being promoted ahead of schedule and Siemian being given a promotion that he was never supposed to be considered for. Furthermore, there is far more to comparing post Elway to post Manning then just the QBs that took over for them. The O that Griese inherited from Elway was loaded with talent, while who Siemian inherited from Manning was lacking.

Do I really need to do a position by position comparison of ’99 and ’16 teams to determine which one had more talent? It could be debated that Thomas & Sanders are better than Smith & McCaffrey, but what about the other 8 players? TD vs. CJ? Sharpe vs. I have no idea who I should list as our #1 TE. Was there a single player on the ’16 OL who was better than his counterpart in ’99? Yes, the D that was inherited by the ’16 team was better than the ’99, but the disparity in talent when comparing the Ds isn’t close to what it is when comparing the Os.

Pretty sure sharpe and TD were both injured early on for the season.

I know Griese actually had a pro bowl caliber season in 2000 with 19TDs to only 3 ints.

He got injured and he was actually off to a good season in 2001. Sept 10th, 2001 he had a really good game against the Giants. He started off 2-0 that season.

Then he was literally traumatised by the Ravens defense. They beat him senseless and he was literally never the same.

FanInAZ
12-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Pretty sure sharpe and TD were both injured early on for the season.

I remember TD's injury, but they stop showing Broncos when they started sinking to the bottom, so I don't recall Sharpe getting injured.

I know Griese actually had a pro bowl caliber season in 2000 with 19TDs to only 3 ints.

He got injured and he was actually off to a good season in 2001. Sept 10th, 2001 he had a really good game against the Giants. He started off 2-0 that season.

It was McCaffrey that broke his leg 9/10/01, not Griese.

Then he was literally traumatised by the Ravens defense. They beat him senseless and he was literally never the same.

I thought he was on the brink of losing it going into the Monday night beat down at the hands of the Raiders 6 games later. That's when I thought I saw the last vestiges of self-confidence melt away from him.

Tbolt
12-24-2017, 03:17 AM
I’ve been losing interest in the NFL gradually for several years. This year it’s fallen off a cliff. I doubt Ive watched more than 4 or 5 complete games. Something I’d accomplish in a week in past seasons. And you know what? I’m not coming back. I spend more time on these boards than enjoying the product that produces them.

The political nonsense really just pulled the plug on interest that was already on life support. And when I do tune in, what am I treated to? Kneeling, TERRIBLE officiating, team of the week getting screwed (usually against the Patriots), lack of effort, boring games, bad rules. Basically the NBA in pads.

Broncoknight30
12-24-2017, 03:21 AM
I remember TD's injury, but they stop showing Broncos when they started sinking to the bottom, so I don't recall Sharpe getting injured.

It was McCaffrey that broke his leg 9/10/01, not Griese.

I thought he was on the brink of losing it going into the Monday night beat down at the hands of the Raiders 6 games later. That's when I thought I saw the last vestiges of self-confidence melt away from him.

No, that year in 2000 Griese had a pro bowl season and then he got injured (in 2000) and that was why Gus Ferrote started in that play off loss to the Ravens. McCaffrey got injured in 2001.

Also, in 2001, Griese started out on fire after the first two games. He was actually the top rated passer in the NFL, had 6 TD passes, zero ints and 300 yards in both games.

Then the Broncos faced the Ravens and Griese was beat up badly in that game. So, he had the pro bowl season in 2000, started out on fire in 2001 and after that Ravens game, he was literally never the same.

Tbolt
12-24-2017, 07:44 PM
And another week, same shit. Pats screw another team. Of course their fans will say look at the scoreboard as if everything would happen exactly the same.

Been happening for YEARS. Hell, pull up the 2001 AFC Championship game, 1 hour 4 minutes Bledsoe hits Patten in the back of the end zone. Patten rolls over and the ball comes out. No review. Hell, no mention of it. Should not have been a catch. 16 years of the same crap.

chazoe60
12-24-2017, 09:31 PM
And another week, same shit. Pats screw another team. Of course their fans will say look at the scoreboard as if everything would happen exactly the same.

Been happening for YEARS. Hell, pull up the 2001 AFC Championship game, 1 bout 4 minutes Bledsoe hits Patten in the back of the end zone. Patten rolls over and the ball comes out. No review. Hell, no mention of it. Should not have been a catch. 16 years of the same crap.

Big reason why I don't watch the NFL any more.

Nomad
12-24-2017, 09:31 PM
I don't believe the catch rule was in place back in 2001. I don't believe plays were reviewed as much as they are nowadays.

Tbolt
12-24-2017, 10:43 PM
I thought it changed after the Bert Emmanuel catch/no catch in 99’.

In fact, that was FAR from the only questionable call that went the Pats way that day. I’ll admit I was rooting for what I thought was a plucky not cheating cheating ass Patriots team, who screwed Oakland on the tuck rule the week before.

Just saying, this has been going on for a LONG time. NBA level bad.

olathebroncofan
12-24-2017, 11:42 PM
Im not sure where everyone else is in their careers and private lives, but i noticed that as i am trying to climb the corporate ladder, I don't have much time on Sunday days. With two active boys, Saturdays are filled with their football or basketball games. Sunday I find myself prepping for the work week. We normally tape the Broncos games, so there is no urgency for us to watch.

I think the uncertainty of this year made it hard. You knew with Peyton that we had a chance. But with all the changes i.e. wade and ward leaving, new coaching staff, I had a wait and see attitude, and am still waiting.

But after its all said and done, I will be the first one counting down the days to our first game.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-25-2017, 01:42 AM

Been happening for YEARS. Hell, pull up the 2001 AFC Championship game, 1 hour 4 minutes Bledsoe hits Patten in the back of the end zone. Patten rolls over and the ball comes out. No review. Hell, no mention of it. Should not have been a catch. 16 years of the same crap.

The Tuck Rule- “spontaneous rule to define a Tom Brady fumble to not really be a fumble”