PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign offensive lineman J.J. Dielman off Bengals’ practice squad

Denver Native (Carol)
12-17-2017, 12:36 PM
To fill the roster spot that became vacant when quarterback Trevor Siemian was placed on injured reserve, the Broncos signed offensive lineman J.J. Dielman off the Cincinnati Bengals’ practice squad.

Dielman (6-foot-5, 309 pounds) was selected by the Bengals in the fifth round (No. 176) of the 2017 draft and, after recovering from a Lisfranc injury suffered in college, competed with the team in training camp. Dielman was waived amid final roster cuts in early September and claimed by the Rams, who cut him less than two weeks later. The Bengals added him to their practice squad Sept. 14.

A team captain at Utah, where he played alongside current Broncos left tackle Garett Bolles, Dielman started at multiple positions, first at right tackle in 2014 and 2015, then center in 2016, before his injury cut his final college season short

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/16/broncos-jj-dielman-roster-move/

Cugel
12-17-2017, 01:09 PM
OK. More filler because they didn't solve the OL problems during the preseason. Instead they hired Menelik Watson and crossed their fingers he would stay healthy for a change. Well that didn't happen. Then they got rid of their previous busts in Ty Sambrailo and Micheal Schofield and kept Donald Stephenson. That didn't work either.

This guy was on the practice squad after he suffered a lis franc injury in college.

Dielman (6-foot-5, 309 pounds) was selected by the Bengals in the fifth round (No. 176) of the 2017 draft and, after recovering from a Lisfranc injury suffered in college, competed with the team in training camp. Dielman was waived amid final roster cuts in early September and claimed by the Rams, who cut him less than two weeks later. The Bengals added him to their practice squad Sept. 14.

Basically, this guy is equivalent to someone like Schofield.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-17-2017, 01:24 PM
I was wondering if one of the reasons they signed him was because of his connection with Garett Bowles, as well as Dielman playing multiple positions at college. They had a spot available, so I don't see a problem with them signing him.

Davii
12-17-2017, 01:30 PM
I was wondering if one of the reasons they signed him was because of his connection with Garett Bowles, as well as Dielman playing multiple positions at college. They had a spot available, so I don't see a problem with them signing him.

There is no problem with it, at all. They're filling a roster spot abd getting a look at a guy. Cugel likes to complain.

Rick
12-17-2017, 02:59 PM
OK. More filler because they didn't solve the OL problems during the preseason. Instead they hired Menelik Watson and crossed their fingers he would stay healthy for a change. Well that didn't happen. Then they got rid of their previous busts in Ty Sambrailo and Micheal Schofield and kept Donald Stephenson. That didn't work either.

This guy was on the practice squad after he suffered a lis franc injury in college.

Overreact much?

What they decide to do now has nothing to do with mistakes they may have/may not have made months ago.

They have a need now, so they filled it. Should they not fill a need with a filler now?

dogfish
12-17-2017, 10:04 PM

which other available lineman would you have preferred they sign?

gregbroncs
12-17-2017, 10:10 PM
He was a really good player at Utah. Their line took a serious hit when he got hurt. He can play just about every position on the offensive line (at the college level) except probably LT. I think It's a good risk to take him. No down side and could become a good NFL lineman or backup at the least.

Timmy!
12-18-2017, 02:57 AM
Lol@cugel (that should really be somebody's sig)

It's a free look in 2 meaningless games. Dafuq were they gonna do, sign Anthony munoz?

chazoe60
12-18-2017, 09:51 AM
Lol@cugel (that should really be somebody's sig)

It's a free look in 2 meaningless games. Dafuq were they gonna do, sign Anthony munoz?

I bet Anthony Munoz today is better than anything we have at RT. Hell, I guarantee he'd commit fewer penalties than that dopey LT we have.

Shazam!
12-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Why is this a big deal again? Why are they being criticized for filling in an area of extreme need (even when healthy anyway) taht is riddled with injury?

dogfish
12-18-2017, 01:28 PM
if you can't sign an all-pro, you should just leave that roster spot open, amirite?

Cugel
12-18-2017, 01:52 PM
There is no problem with it, at all. They're filling a roster spot abd getting a look at a guy. Cugel likes to complain.

I'm not complaining about their signing a backup OL. Not at all.

I'm complaining that this is necessary 14 weeks into a 5-11 season. Why wasn't this move made sometime in August? At what point did they look up, see Menelik Watson and Donald Stephenson are going to be our Ts and say to themselves "this is OK?"