PDA

View Full Version : Practice / press conference notes - week 15 (Colts week)

VonDoom
12-11-2017, 08:05 PM
This is the last Thursday game on the NFL schedule - I'm sure they're happy everyone will get to see this game! They are going to be using Sky Cam heavily so at least we get to see it from a unique angle. Updates in the posts below.

VonDoom
12-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Much like Wolfe, this is probably for the best:

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis
3h3 hours ago

Broncos are expected to place RG Ron Leary on season-ending IR, per locker room source. Back injury. Connor McGovern gets long look. #9sports

And even better ...

Nick Korte‏ @nickkorte
3h3 hours ago

Nick Korte Retweeted Mike Klis

This makes it much more likely that the Cowboys will only get a 4th round 2018 compensatory pick for Ron Leary, and that the Broncos' 3rd rounder for Russell Okung won't be cancelled out by Leary.

Also, we seem to have swapped out practice squad players with the Giants today:

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis
3h3 hours ago

Hunter Sharp has been signed off Broncos practice squad by NY Giants, who have put him on 53-man roster, per player source. #9sports

Ralph Vacchiano‏Verified account @RVacchianoSNY

The Denver Broncos have signed TE Matt LaCosse off the Giants practice squad.

Cecil Lammey‏Verified account @CecilLammey
2h2 hours ago

Cecil Lammey Retweeted Ralph Vacchiano

Another TE in the mix for the #Broncos - LaCosse undrafted out of Illinois in 2015, has size, speed and athleticism, can make difficult grabs

Nomad
12-11-2017, 08:28 PM
I'm looking forward to another BRONCO win.

Rick
12-11-2017, 08:29 PM
Ugh I hate Thursday games.

Magnificent Seven
12-12-2017, 12:24 AM
Broncos are eliminated from the playoff picture. Just play for pride!

Shazam!
12-12-2017, 06:30 AM
Man, I just hate the Colts.

underrated29
12-12-2017, 12:10 PM
I liked Hunter Sharp. That was a great move by the giants. Sharp caught my eye several times in TC. Kinda bummed he is gone.

Freyaka
12-12-2017, 01:41 PM
I kinda wish this wasn't Thursday night as I never get to watch Thursday night games anymore (Our youth group is on Thursdays and I unfortunately cannot skip...)

Rick
12-12-2017, 01:43 PM
God will understand.

Freyaka
12-12-2017, 01:47 PM
God will understand.

He might, but my wife will not...

dogfish
12-12-2017, 02:27 PM
I liked Hunter Sharp. That was a great move by the giants. Sharp caught my eye several times in TC. Kinda bummed he is gone.

yea, we really needed more PS scrubs to litter the WR depth chart for years to come. . .

underrated29
12-12-2017, 02:48 PM
yea, we really needed more PS scrubs to litter the WR depth chart for years to come. . .

He could be no worse than Fowler

dogfish
12-12-2017, 02:52 PM
He could be no worse than Fowler

that's my point. . . i'm glad they finally started getting latimer involved-- shockingly, he actually looks like he can play a little bit. . . maybe we should get crazy and try to develop our high picks going forward, instead of stashing them on special teams (demarcus walker says hi). . .

underrated29
12-12-2017, 03:05 PM
that's my point. . . i'm glad they finally started getting latimer involved-- shockingly, he actually looks like he can play a little bit. . . maybe we should get crazy and try to develop our high picks going forward, instead of stashing them on special teams (demarcus walker says hi). . .

Gotya.
Hey i have been saying Latimer is good. Not sucking him off like Dave has been but the kid has hands. Great hands and I think with a QB he could be pretty good. Better than the rest of the chumps aside from Maybe Carlos

VonDoom
12-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis 18m18 minutes ago

Justin Simmons did not practice. #9sports

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 17m17 minutes ago

Vance Joseph said Domata Peko (knee) “progressed fine” and should be able to play Thursday night.

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 17m17 minutes ago

Joseph said right now Ron Leary will not need surgery. Was placed on IR with a back injury.

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 16m16 minutes ago

Vance Joseph film study of the Colts’ snow game: “We tried to watch it but you can’t. ... You can’t see anything.”

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 23m23 minutes ago

#Broncos Vance Joseph said does not buy into losing to improve draft status. "We can win and evaluate and look to the future". Also said snowglobe game of @Colts provided zero help in scouting @DenverChannel

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 17m17 minutes ago

#Broncos Vance Joseph. "Winning is first," explained Joseph on why not just play Langley, De'Angelo Henderson, etc #Denver7

Buff
12-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 23m23 minutes ago

#Broncos Vance Joseph said does not buy into losing to improve draft status. "We can win and evaluate and look to the future". Also said snowglobe game of @Colts provided zero help in scouting @DenverChannel

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 17m17 minutes ago

#Broncos Vance Joseph. "Winning is first," explained Joseph on why not just play Langley, De'Angelo Henderson, etc #Denver7

Sorry but this makes me cringe... And I'm now convinced the NFL should move to a lottery system like the NBA that slightly de-incentivizes losing/tanking.

The needs of the organization and the needs of the coaches are not aligned right now.

We should absolutely be getting the young guys playing time, allowing them to make mistakes, and in the process giving ourselves a slightly worse chance at winning. I don't buy this idea that winning some meaningless games down the stretch is good for our culture... What would be good for our culture is getting one of the top QBs available in next year's draft.

underrated29
12-12-2017, 04:28 PM
Sorry but this makes me cringe... And I'm now convinced the NFL should move to a lottery system like the NBA that slightly de-incentivizes losing/tanking.

The needs of the organization and the needs of the coaches are not aligned right now.

We should absolutely be getting the young guys playing time, allowing them to make mistakes, and in the process giving ourselves a slightly worse chance at winning. I don't buy this idea that winning some meaningless games down the stretch is good for our culture... What would be good for our culture is getting one of the top QBs available in next year's draft.

I agree.

but I also cant blame the guy for not coming out and saying we are mailing in the season. That prob wont go over well

VonDoom
12-12-2017, 04:28 PM

A coach shouldn't advocate tanking. That being said, why would they NOT want to evaluate some of the younger guys. Deangelo Henderson is the biggest mystery to me - he played well in preseason and hasn't even been given a chance. What exactly are we playing for, coach? We were officially eliminated from the playoffs. If anything, this gives us a leg up next year to see if we have anything with these players.

Buff
12-12-2017, 04:33 PM
I agree.

but I also cant blame the guy for not coming out and saying we are mailing in the season. That prob wont go over well

A coach shouldn't advocate tanking. That being said, why would they NOT want to evaluate some of the younger guys. Deangelo Henderson is the biggest mystery to me - he played well in preseason and hasn't even been given a chance. What exactly are we playing for, coach? We were officially eliminated from the playoffs. If anything, this gives us a leg up next year to see if we have anything with these players.

I agree the coach HAS to coach to win... That's why I think the NFL should go to a lottery where you aren't explicitly rewarded or punished for wins/losses - it adds some additional uncertainty into the mix.

But the idea that Jamaal Charles is getting playing time while Henderson rots on the bench seems silly to me. I guess maybe since he's a RB he could benefit from less wear and tear on his legs this season - but you could pick another inexperienced player who could benefit from additional time and apply the same argument.

Player development should be prioritized ahead of winning at this stage.

Krugan
12-12-2017, 04:36 PM

Which QB in this years draft is your sure fire cant miss guy that the team just has to have?

I dont see darnold or rosen being cant miss guys, mayfield is questionable as well, although i do like his accuracy, Allen looks decent, but unpolished, Jackson, not sold at all.

I cant agree that tanking is ever going to be okay. 3-13, has to look like a place a older vet wouldnt want to be. why go to the basement to end your career, when you could live at least middle class....

Seeing what we have in young guys in role positions isnt all that meaningful either. Having lynch play would have been ideal, but he seems to be broken more than fixed. Which should speak enough about him along with his inability to beat out the rest of the crap we have tried to field.(yep i admit I was wrong about TS, he hasnt got it)

would rather see us 7-9 going out with fight, then 4-12 dying for the sake of dying.

dogfish
12-12-2017, 04:40 PM
continuing to dress frickin' charles over henderson has been pissing me off for weeks. . . they did the right thing putting wolfe and leary on IR, i don't understand why they're being so stubborn about henderson. . . vance is such a mouth-breather. . . you don't have to TRY to lose, numbskull-- you put the kids in, and then coach and play as hard as you can. . . player development and building/maintaining a strong culture don't have to be mutually exclusive. . . ya know, at least for coaches who are competent enough to walk and chew gum at the same time. . . give me a break with this chest-beating crap-- where the hell was your prideful insistence on winning at all costs when you were running numbnuts mckenzie out there to lose games for us, you toolbag?

Buff
12-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Which QB in this years draft is your sure fire cant miss guy that the team just has to have?

I dont see darnold or rosen being cant miss guys, mayfield is questionable as well, although i do like his accuracy, Allen looks decent, but unpolished, Jackson, not sold at all.

I cant agree that tanking is ever going to be okay. 3-13, has to look like a place a older vet wouldnt want to be. why go to the basement to end your career, when you could live at least middle class....

Seeing what we have in young guys in role positions isnt all that meaningful either. Having lynch play would have been ideal, but he seems to be broken more than fixed. Which should speak enough about him along with his inability to beat out the rest of the crap we have tried to field.(yep i admit I was wrong about TS, he hasnt got it)

would rather see us 7-9 going out with fight, then 4-12 dying for the sake of dying.

This is fundamentally absurd to me. The higher draft pick is a real, tangible benefit that you can measure; the other is an intangible, impossible to quantify, *feeling* that fans have.

Krugan
12-12-2017, 04:44 PM
This is fundamentally absurd to me. The higher draft pick is a real, tangible benefit that you can measure; the other is an intangible, impossible to quantify, *feeling* that fans have.

How is presenting yourself as a team who wins not tangible?

Buff
12-12-2017, 04:52 PM
How is presenting yourself as a team who wins not tangible?

Because we just lost 8 in a row and are out of the playoffs. We're fooling ourselves if we think those matter. PLUS - we're 2 years removed from a Super Bowl championship and 5 straight AFC West titles - we're not the Browns who are trying to establish ANY winning culture whatsoever. People know we have a winning franchise.

Krugan
12-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Because we just lost 8 in a row and are out of the playoffs. We're fooling ourselves if we think those matter. PLUS - we're 2 years removed from a Super Bowl championship and 5 straight AFC West titles - we're not the Browns who are trying to establish ANY winning culture whatsoever. People know it's a winning franchise.

I could agree with this, if we didnt live in a world where memories are as long as your nose. And relevance is measured in where you are this year. Call my cynical or crazy or whatever, im just calling it as i see it.

I do appreciate the position though and how tempting it is to pull in another guy in the same quality as Von. I, as a personal position, cant stomach the idea of sucking for the sake of a few draft spots to crap shoot a questionable QB.

BroncoJoe
12-12-2017, 04:59 PM

He wouldn't even have to start them, or have them take the majority of snaps.

As dog said above, it's asinine to keep trotting Charles out there at this point. He's probably gone next year anyway. Let's see what DH has.

underrated29
12-12-2017, 06:40 PM
He wouldn't even have to start them, or have them take the majority of snaps.

As dog said above, it's asinine to keep trotting Charles out there at this point. He's probably gone next year anyway. Let's see what DH has.

Same. I feel the same for CJ too....

Id rather just run book and henderson and charles when they need a breather. CJ is gone. We know this. Charles is likely gone- although I have heard rumors that they want him back for next year (lol at the meltdown that will ensue if that happens!). Either way- we know Book and Henderson are our future. Lets get that going!

Latimer too. and Irman. Ditch green

dogfish
12-12-2017, 06:45 PM
i think traylor looks like the most promising of the TEs, honestly. . . i hope they keep finding playing time for him. . .

BroncoJoe
12-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Same. I feel the same for CJ too....

Id rather just run book and henderson and charles when they need a breather. CJ is gone. We know this. Charles is likely gone- although I have heard rumors that they want him back for next year (lol at the meltdown that will ensue if that happens!). Either way- we know Book and Henderson are our future. Lets get that going!

Latimer too. and Irman. Ditch green

I'm not high on CJ anymore either. He's a MEH player.

LawDog
12-12-2017, 07:20 PM
I'm not high on CJ anymore either. He's a MEH player.

He's above Meh, but not much. When I watch him I get frustrated because he just runs - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I never see him explode to the hole, never. I watch some of the other backs (EDIT in the league, not on the Broncos) and it seems that they are at full speed as they get the ball and just blast into the hole. Often resulting in an extra 3+ yards as they get tackled. The difference between a 2 yard or a 6 yard gain. Sometimes CJ makes a good move, gets a defender to miss, falls forward, but most often he gets stuffed at contact and it's pretty frustrating. Watching Drake last night made me yearn (literally) for an explosive back who runs with momentum and authority...

Denver Native (Carol)
12-12-2017, 11:13 PM
CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- Form follows function and colors follow emotions. As such, it is a ripe coincidence that the finally victorious Broncos will suit up Thursday night in uniforms so bright it will make hunters blush.

Their confidence and smiles are back. And yet....

In a locker room of 63 players, the retina-burning orange jerseys and pants bring mixed reviews. Color me not surprised.

"Pumpkin. I will look like a pumpkin," running back C.J. Anderson said, referring to his squatty build. "I will be a pumpkin trying to have a Cinderella night."

rest - http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/broncos-players-offer-mixed-reactions-to-thursdays-color-rush-uniforms

Von addresses his thoughts on if better if the Broncos lose out

VonDoom
12-13-2017, 12:26 PM
James Palmer‏Verified account @JamesPalmerTV
14m14 minutes ago

I’m told not only will #broncos safety Justin Simmons miss Thursday’s game vs the #colts with a left ankle injury, the team will also be placing him on injured reserve.

dogfish
12-13-2017, 01:02 PM
14m14 minutes ago

I’m told not only will #broncos safety Justin Simmons miss Thursday’s game vs the #colts with a left ankle injury, the team will also be placing him on injured reserve.

maybe deangelo henderson can play safety. . .

Cugel
12-13-2017, 02:02 PM
14m14 minutes ago

They are shutting it down and resting players whose injuries limit them. It's a lost season so there's no point hurting the long term play of guys who will be on next years' roster. Justin Simmons will be a starting safety next year so he can just rehab from here on out. If they were making a SB run they'd be trying to rush him back in time for the playoffs.

But, "Playoffs???? Don't talk about PLAYOFFS!!!"

dogfish
12-13-2017, 02:15 PM
lol! they threw out (http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/261532/snow-camouflaged-colts-so-much-that-the-broncos-turned-off-the-video) the tape of the colts game because they couldn't see them in their white unis against the snow. . . :laugh:

VonDoom
12-13-2017, 02:37 PM
lol! they threw out (http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/261532/snow-camouflaged-colts-so-much-that-the-broncos-turned-off-the-video) the tape of the colts game because they couldn't see them in their white unis against the snow. . . :laugh:

The game was fun to watch on TV, but I imagine that it had little value from a film study perspective. Even if you could see everyone, no one was running their normal offense anyway.

VonDoom
12-13-2017, 02:38 PM
The weirdest thing about the Simmons injury is that it came when he was celebrating a big play on defense (the Marshall strip sack, I believe). The first time they've had something to celebrate in two months and he gets hurt jumping up and down about it.

Magnificent Seven
12-13-2017, 02:45 PM
14m14 minutes ago

Bummer!

Dean
12-13-2017, 06:28 PM
IMO that boat has already sailed.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-14-2017, 12:57 PM

I’m actually surprised that VJ watches tape. I’m serious. I assumed the coordinators, position coaches, and players all watched tape, but with the complete lack of preparation the team shows and being devoid of any real HC style adjustments, I figured he just didn’t worry about it.

I know people think I’m joking, but I’m not. I figured the leader of men just had his assistants handle it while he stood looking “puzzled” on the sidelines.