PDA

View Full Version : Could Chad Kelly be the answer to the Broncos QB questions?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Through 12 games of the 2017 season, the Denver Broncos have used a new quarterback starting under center four times, with Trevor Siemian stepping into the role twice.

And heading into the final quarter of the season at 3-9 with an eye toward a rebuild in 2018, the Broncos top priority, Hall of Fame executive Bill Polian told “Schlereth & Evans” this week, should be evaluating the quarterback position.

“Well, the first question you’ve got to solve, the overarching question, is quarterback,” Polian said. “So, who is that guy? Is he in the building?”

In Polian’s view, potentially yes, in rookie gunslinger Chad Kelly

rest - http://1043thefan.com/163980/qb-questions-broncos-kelly/

MOtorboat
12-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Feels like kicking the can down the road.

BeefStew25
12-08-2017, 02:48 PM

How

Davii
12-08-2017, 02:51 PM
How

Because they can't truly evaluate him this year since he's on IR. So that leaves that evaluation until next year.

I think they should still draft QB, or get one of the established vets, and hopefully Kelly turns into something. Either he'll be something for us, or one of the two good QBs on the roster could then be traded for something.

MOtorboat
12-08-2017, 02:59 PM
How

By ignoring the position and hoping a project can be the guy.

turftoad
12-08-2017, 03:25 PM

Well, unless we can get a proven vet, anyone else is going to be a project. Even a top five rookie wil be a project.

Shazam!
12-08-2017, 03:44 PM
I think he will be assed out because he will be overshadowed by whatever 1st Rd QB.

ShaneFalco
12-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Kelly far better then any of the busts in this draft

Slick
12-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Kelly far better then any of the busts in this draft

You thought Siemian was good.

D1g1tal j1m
12-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Way too early to tell how Kelly will be. How will he handle the NFL workload? Will his head be screwed on straight? Can he keep his focus at improving his craft? All NFL QB's have the physical tools it's on him to put it all together, after being out a whole year. Probably best not to get your hopes up at this point...

ShaneFalco
12-08-2017, 04:04 PM
You thought Siemian was good.
I said he was better then Lynch.

Which he is.

MOtorboat
12-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Well, unless we can get a proven vet, anyone else is going to be a project. Even a top five rookie wil be a project.

Unless they do get a big free agent, taking any other position at this point in the Top 5 would be a waste. Maybe that’s a little myopic, I just think that is where this team is at. And yes, I realize they’ve drafted a number of quarterbacks.

Nomad
12-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Suck for Sam. Is this the BRONCOS new motto?

Hawgdriver
12-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Rosen is the top qb in this draft.

Kelly is currently the answer. Wee.

Nomad
12-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Rosen is the top qb in this draft.

Kelly is currently the answer. Wee.

Airman came out of UCLA, so there's hope for Rosen, as long as he doesn't act like Cutler.

Northman
12-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Because they can't truly evaluate him this year since he's on IR. So that leaves that evaluation until next year.

I think they should still draft QB, or get one of the established vets, and hopefully Kelly turns into something. Either he'll be something for us, or one of the two good QBs on the roster could then be traded for something.

Pretty much my feeling. I still Denver needs to quit settling for projects and start taking the position a bit more seriously. Even if they want to keep Kelly and see what he's got i would still like to see us draft a QB high.

dogfish
12-08-2017, 07:23 PM

they're not going to do that-- don't sweat it. . . it's harmless fun for posters to speculate about kelly, but john elway isn't rolling another late round schlub out there as his starter after how this year went. . . not happening. . .

MOtorboat
12-08-2017, 07:25 PM
they're not going to do that-- don't sweat it. . . it's harmless fun for posters to speculate about kelly, but john elway isn't rolling another late round schlub out there as his starter after how this year went. . . not happening. . .

I said that last year too...

dogfish
12-08-2017, 07:31 PM
you know how the backup quarterback is usually the most popular guy in town? man, you know you must really suck bad when the warm-body 4th string QB, who's on IR, is the most popular guy in town. . . :lol: we have sunk to new lows, we're hoping for mr. irrelevant to save us. . .

Nomad
12-08-2017, 08:41 PM
you know how the backup quarterback is usually the most popular guy in town? man, you know you must really suck bad when the warm-body 4th string QB, who's on IR, is the most popular guy in town. . . :lol: we have sunk to new lows, we're hoping for mr. irrelevant to save us. . .

dog....I'll buy you a beer if you play QB this Sunday. :D

Freyaka
12-08-2017, 09:03 PM

I'm not a Kelly guy, but I think the key fact with Kelly, pre injury, he was a projected first round pick. Injury and personality issues are the only reason he went last in the draft. That's a big distinction from a QB who was a 7th round QB picked the in 7th round.

Nomad
12-08-2017, 09:12 PM
What was Kelly's injury again?

ShaneFalco
12-08-2017, 09:46 PM

Dont play yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAFFfhpLvL4

ShaneFalco
12-08-2017, 09:48 PM
im amazed at how much people try to sleep on the one QB who beat Alabama twice and had one of the greatest QB years in SEC ever.

People slept on Shane Falco as well.

Because of his Sugar Bowl disaster.

But guess what happened.

ShaneFalco
12-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Pretty much my feeling. I still Denver needs to quit settling for projects and start taking the position a bit more seriously. Even if they want to keep Kelly and see what he's got i would still like to see us draft a QB high.

i wouldnt.

I want Chad as starter with a high round OL pick.

MOtorboat
12-08-2017, 10:21 PM
im amazed at how much people try to sleep on the one QB who beat Alabama twice and had one of the greatest QB years in SEC ever.

But guess what happened.

Greg McElroy is 29 and a TV commentator. This isn’t college.

dogfish
12-08-2017, 10:34 PM
dog....I'll buy you a beer if you play QB this Sunday. :D

look, guys, nomad finally gave up hope of winning another game this year. . . :laugh:

Freyaka
12-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Dont play yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAFFfhpLvL4

That accuracy is actually really impressive, especially the threading the needle test. Doing it for the cameras and doing it when the other team's Von Miller is coming at your face is two different things though. I'd be willing to give him a shot because he was very highly projected at one point in his career. But I don't want him as our sole option going into the draft. I don't want to hang my hopes on him and him alone.

Timmy!
12-08-2017, 11:14 PM

But guess what happened.

He starred in a C- at best football movie?

BeefStew25
12-08-2017, 11:31 PM
Kelly is a 7th round pick. Little or no investment. Better pedigree than Sloter. If he shows something worst case he’s 3rd QB. We ain’t making any decisions based on anything he is doing.

BeefStew25
12-08-2017, 11:32 PM

Preach. And mostly every team has a project QB. Our issue is we had three.

dogfish
12-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Dont play yourself.

put the dabs down, weedy. . .

I'm not a Kelly guy, but I think the key fact with Kelly, pre injury, he was a projected first round pick. Injury and personality issues are the only reason he went last in the draft. That's a big distinction from a QB who was a 7th round QB picked the in 7th round.

meh! i don't buy it. . . QB is the most important position in sports, and the hardest to find. . . if anybody thought this guy could play, someone would have taken him in the third or fourth round at the absolute latest. . . come on, dallas spent a top 40 pick on jaylen smith knowing full well he'd need a redshirt season and possibly more-- and he's a freakin' linebacker. . .

i know you guys just wanna find something to be hopeful about, but i think you're really reaching here. . .

Broncoknight30
12-09-2017, 06:31 AM
I dont have a problem with the notion of Chad Kelly being the possible future. The ONLY way this is going to work is the Broncos will need to make plans to land a veteran next year and have that veteran mentor Kelly.

No other scenario makes any sense. Meaning, if the Broncos draft a QB in the first round YET AGAIN, that is it for Kelly. He will have NO real shot at being the starting QB.

Personally, I think Alex Smith would be an interesting signing. Yes, perhaps Eli Manning, but he would require giving up a draft pick and his salary is an issue. However, Alex Smith should come a bit a cheaper. Plus, playing for the Chiefs, there is good information that could be shared about them. If you notice teams often get players through FA from divisional rivals for the purpose. The Pats are actually quite infamous for doing such things.

I still cannot believe how good of a season Alex Smith is having this season while the Chiefs are losing. Has anyone noticed?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating

Look at that.

I am hoping that is way they go. That way they could have a few options with their draft position, which will be quite high. Someone will want to trade up to get Mayfield. They could get a number of picks that could address other real problems on this team.

Like some of these ILB prospects
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018ILB.php

Anyway, that is the way to go IMO.

Northman
12-09-2017, 06:49 AM
i wouldnt.

I want Chad as starter with a high round OL pick.

Its a possible way to go but i agree with Doggy that i highly doubt JE puts his eggs all in that basket. Kelly may have the athleticism and talent but he still has other problems that could hold him back and we've been down that road before with a QB who didnt have the mental aptitude to succeed in the NFL. If Denver managed to get a guy like Brees or Manning and then wanted Kelly to be the #2 or #3 than i can go with your thinking. But i dont see Denver getting a vet of that calibur at this juncture.

BroncoWave
12-09-2017, 07:42 AM

I never saw him projected as a first round pick. People said he had first round potential, but due to his character concerns, I never saw anyone legitimate actually predict he'd go in the first round, even before his injury.

Broncoknight30
12-09-2017, 07:59 AM
I never saw him projected as a first round pick. People said he had first round potential, but due to his character concerns, I never saw anyone legitimate actually predict he'd go in the first round, even before his injury.

Would you rather this team draft Baker Mayfield or get Alex Smith and trade down and gather picks from a team that really wants that Big XII head case?

Cause right now the way it is projected (as of now) the Broncos are in line for Mayfield. Are we all that impressed with Darnold or Rosen right now?

Or is it better to get a veteran (granted only a few veterans would do) and have Kelly develop behind that veteran? Are we that high on those rookies?

MOtorboat
12-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Would you rather this team draft Baker Mayfield or get Alex Smith and trade down and gather picks from a team that really wants that Big XII head case?

Cause right now the way it is projected (as of now) the Broncos are in line for Mayfield. Are we all that impressed with Darnold or Rosen right now?

Or is it better to get a veteran (granted only a few veterans would do) and have Kelly develop behind that veteran? Are we that high on those rookies?

I’d prefer none of these things happening.

Also, Baker Mayfield will probably not be the third, or fourth, or fifth, quarterback off the board.

dogfish
12-09-2017, 06:43 PM
I’d prefer none of these things happening.

Also, Baker Mayfield will probably not be the third, or fourth, or fifth, quarterback off the board.

who is, then? top three is loosely projected as rosen, darnold, and lamar jackson ATM? then who, josh allen? you think mayfield falls to the middle rounds?

Cugel
12-09-2017, 06:53 PM

I was thinking the same thing. "Maybe this guy!" "Oh, no! Not him! Maybe THIS guy!"
"Oh no! Not him!" "Maybe THIS guy!" It's Kelly! The "Gunslinger!"

For about 5 minutes until he appears in a game and gets schooled by a veteran DB who picks him off. Then it's "ARGH! He sucks! Three picks! Get rid of him!"

They will develop him of course, and maybe. But a better choice is to go up in the draft and get a franchise QB, because the top 5 is where they are usually drafted. There's hardly a QB in the NFL who was a 7th round pick who is a stud franchise QB today. The number of times that happens can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

So, keep Kelly, ditch Paxton, and draft a QB and sign a veteran FA who will start until the rookie is ready. Then in 2 years maybe. Maybe.

Cugel
12-09-2017, 06:56 PM

This is the trap. Just because he had "potential" to be a 1st round pick - IF only he were not a rock-head. IF only he was healthy. So people assume that if he's healthy, he's a first round pick.

No, top 5 franchise first round picks are taken there because they prove it on the field. Kelly didn't. Maybe he would have if he wasn't distracted by off-field problems, but maybe not too.

Freyaka
12-09-2017, 07:13 PM

Mayock had him going in the first at one point.

MOtorboat
12-09-2017, 07:24 PM
who is, then? top three is loosely projected as rosen, darnold, and lamar jackson ATM? then who, josh allen? you think mayfield falls to the middle rounds?

Providing the Underclassmen come out, I expect the order to be Darnold/Rosen, Allen, Jackson and then maybe Mayfield. The Oklahoma State kid (blanking on his name), Browning and Luke Falk (Wazzu) could all be taken before Mayfield. I think Mayfield will look the least impressive in workouts/combine of those eight guys and while a few people say he’s played his way into the first round (and don’t get me wrong he’s had a very prolific season), his stock might drop a little from where it is now, which is clearly the highest it’s been. Then again, it takes just one team to fall in love with a guy.

Nomad
12-09-2017, 07:51 PM
I haven't really followed Mayfield. What's his issue? It seems OU QBs play damn good college ball, but fizzle out in the NFL.

Broncoknight30
12-09-2017, 08:08 PM
I haven't really followed Mayfield. What's his issue? It seems OU QBs play damn good college ball, but fizzle out in the NFL.

Try all Big XII QBs, where the defenses use pillows to defend offenses. They have not played defense in that conference since 2000.

Hawgdriver
12-09-2017, 09:35 PM

Too many QB hungry teams for that to happen. Mayfield doesn't leave round 1.

Hawgdriver
12-09-2017, 09:36 PM

Was Bradford OU?

dogfish
12-09-2017, 09:39 PM
It seems OU QBs play damn good college ball, but fizzle out in the NFL.

isn't that true of most or all schools, though? there really isn't a "quarterback U," is there?

hawg, yes, sam was a sooner. . .

Hawgdriver
12-09-2017, 09:40 PM
hawg, yes, sam was a sooner. . .

bradford, misunderstood as he is, can ball NFL style.

Nomad
12-09-2017, 09:56 PM
I saw Baker Mayfield is the Heisman Trophy winner. Does this raise his stock?

MOtorboat
12-10-2017, 01:15 AM
bradford, misunderstood as he is, can ball NFL style.

Yeah, I don't really care what conference you played in. If you can play, you can play. Now, I don't really think Mayfield is an NFL quarterback, but he'll get his chance, obviously.

I don't think it does. But then again, I notably don't like him, so, maybe take that with a grain of salt.

Joel
12-10-2017, 05:56 AM
No. And the FIRST question to be solved isn't QB, it's the line; solve the QB question with neither protection NOR run support and you're just dooming the next David Carr or Vinny Testaverde. Ya'll remember Vinny, right; the Heisman winner Tampa drafted #1 overall because their starting QB Steve Young turned out to be "a loser"? Anyone who thinks the Texans are two-time defending AFCS Champs because Oz>Luck is loopy.

Drafting Bolles and signing Leary were quality moves, and we've got a capable if unimpressive center, so no longer face a complete rebuild: All we need to is apply the same careful rigor to the right side and the current failed starters there complete the package as respectable depth. THEN we can start looking for a franchise QB with the confidence we can keep him upright long enough to learn how to read blitzes and coverage before and after the snap and go through progressions because he'll have >2 seconds to do it and a solid running game to avoid living in 3rd and 13.

Why do we care what Bill Polian thinks anyway? His resume's as unimpressive as it is long apart from Mannings Indy years, but if winning a SB with Manning is enough to make a GM a guru, Elway doesn't need Polians help nor anyone elses to right the ship.

Chad Kelly though? Even if we had the offense to enable QB success, it couldn't enable THAT QBs success.

Shazam!
12-10-2017, 06:17 AM
No. And the FIRST question to be solved isn't QB, it's the line; solve the QB question with neither protection NOR run support and you're just dooming the next David Carr or Vinny Testaverde. Ya'll remember Vinny, right; the Heisman winner Tampa drafted #1 overall because their starting QB Steve Young turned out to be "a loser"? Anyone who thinks the Texans are two-time defending AFCS Champs because Oz>Luck is loopy.

Drafting Bolles and signing Leary were quality moves, and we've got a capable if unimpressive center, so no longer face a complete rebuild: All we need to is apply the same careful rigor to the right side and the current failed starters there complete the package as respectable depth. THEN we can start looking for a franchise QB with the confidence we can keep him upright long enough to learn how to read blitzes and coverage before and after the snap and go through progressions because he'll have >2 seconds to do it and a solid running game to avoid living in 3rd and 13.

Why do we care what Bill Polian thinks anyway? His resume's as unimpressive as it is long apart from Mannings Indy years, but if winning a SB with Manning is enough to make a GM a guru, Elway doesn't need Polians help nor anyone elses to right the ship.

Chad Kelly though? Even if we had the offense to enable QB success, it couldn't enable THAT QBs success.

For the first time i think i agree with you.

Why was Manning in decline in 2015? It began in 2014 with the Offensive Line. Manning was defeated by the Denver Broncos who failed to protect a 38 year old QB who is a statue. The whole offense collectively began its slide in 2014. It wasn't just him, the Line was horrific. If they hadnt bought back Ryan Harris in 15 they woukd have been ****ed and probably never won the Ship.

Siemien has been ruined by the Line, like David Carr in Houston. Physically beaten to a pulp it destoyed him mentally.

This Line is SO BAD its putrid. It is one of the worst OLines I have ever seen, and i think only half of the problem is personnel.

Elway needs to go ALL IN on OLine. Retain only McGovern, Bolles, Leary and Paradis.

Ziggy
12-10-2017, 10:49 AM

The play that got him that Heisman has raised his stock over the season. Some folks think he's the next Drew Brees. Others see more Colt McCoy in him.

MOtorboat
12-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Quarterback is the most important position on the field. Denver’s quarterback situation is better than, maybe, two teams. If they do nothing at the position and just try to change shit on the line, they’ll be drafting top 10 again.

Northman
12-10-2017, 11:08 AM
The Patriots Oline is ranked 13th this year and yet they are winners. The Raiders are 6-6 with a top 10 Oline, The lions and Packers have worse Olines than Denver and yet have better records. Oline plays a factor for every team but its not the biggest problem for the Denver Broncos, it just simply isnt.

Freyaka
12-10-2017, 11:15 AM

The good news is that Connor McGovern looked pretty decent at guard last week. If he can step up in that guard position and make an impact, we can move leary to the otherside. That just basically leaves us in need of upgrading our RT position or LT and moving Bolles right. We aren't miles away from a solution on the line.

Ziggy
12-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Schefter: At least three teams have told me (Baker Mayfield) is the QB who they love.

“He’s going to go higher than you think.”

— Dan Kadar (@MockingTheDraft) December 10, 2017

Freyaka
12-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Schefter: At least three teams have told me (Baker Mayfield) is the QB who they love.

I could easily see him here

Cugel
12-10-2017, 01:21 PM

YOu coulda stopped after the first paragraph with the David Carr references. The Broncos drafted their LT in the first round last year and will either acquire a RT in FA or perhaps in the 2nd round of the draft, where you can still find quality RTs. There's no need to draft a T in the top 5! They could do it IF there is no QB available that they really like.

But, they better have already signed a veteran FA QB they believe is ready to be a top 10 QB for them right now if they draft a T. Because Paxton Lynch is never going to be anything. That ought to be abundantly clear to everybody by now. Him being out with an ankle strain is kind of a mercy-killing for him. NO point in sending him out there to fail any more this season.

Elway may still suffer from the delusion that Paxton is ever going to be anything, but no fan thinks so. Well, maybe there are a few delusional souls still holding out hope. I mean it's been 2 seasons and the dude still sucks and looks utterly lost out there. He ain't diddly do.

And you can't count on Chad Kelly to ever develop. He might, but they haven't even seen him in training camp.

So, they don't have a guy they can count on. They must get at least 1 more QB and probably 2 this off-season. Osweiler failed his audition and is gone. And Trevor is just a career backup. They stupidly gave him 2 seasons starter experience which will guarantee him a job in the NFL as a backup for years to come. At Denver's expense.

Cugel
12-10-2017, 01:31 PM

All it takes is one team with a top 10 pick to believe in him and he's a top 10 pick.

View photos

"Mayfield is going to have to work out well and ace his interviews – which will feature a lot of probing questions meant to test his maturity. Don’t be surprised if you persistently hear the Johnny Manziel comparison attached to Mayfield. In a half-compliment/half-swipe, one evaluator said, “I think he’s a lot like a physically built-up Johnny Manziel. That’s what he looks like when I watch him.”
(https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-nfl-talent-evaluators-loveloathe-qb-prospects-rosen-darnold-allen-mayfield-015850432.html)
That’s where some of the disagreements come in. Some like his football aptitude and throwing ability – not to mention that he can make the necessary NFL throws. Others were put off by Mayfield’s immaturity (his embarrassing drunken arrest video in which he ran from the police; the crotch-grabbing on national TV; the flag-planting against Ohio State; the trash-talking with opposing players).

Said one evaluator, “There’s a difference between being a fiery guy and being an emotional hothead. Mayfield is probably both. That could still be OK if he’s more of a leader and less of a hothead.”

Of the quartet, Mayfield will likely get the most off-field and locker room work when it comes to character (though to be fair, Rosen will get his share, too). Evaluators like his skills and smarts as a football player, and his leadership and work ethic all got positive reviews. But the height will continue to be a big hurdle, especially if there are any other perceived drawbacks. As one evaluator said, “There are more guys his size who have shown you can be successful starters [in the NFL], but let’s be honest: For every Russell Wilson, there are 100 guys who didn’t make it.”

In June, a group of NFL personnel men stood on the sideline of Nicholls State University, having made the annual pilgrimage to watch the next wave of quarterback talent at the Manning Passing Academy. Watching from afar – and with players lacking names on their shirts – one player with prototypical tools and a lofty draft status began drawing steady criticism.

As for Sam Darnold:

“Who’s the kid with the big windup?” one longtime NFL evaluator asked, settling among a group of friends and focusing on a reddish blonde camp counselor with a zippy arm and ideal frame.

“That’s [Sam] Darnold,” an NFC personnel man answered.

The two raised their eyebrows at each other. Darnold’s delivery was unquestionably long, dropping the football down and backward with regularity. It was adding fractions of time to his delivery, separating the USC star from the crowd based on a concerning mechanical flaw.

“You can have him,” the NFC personnel man concluded within the group. “Loopy motion. Bad face. Overrated.”

Months later, this Darnold deliberation is just getting started, epitomizing what will be another hotly debated NFL quarterback class. Yahoo Sports spoke to seven NFL evaluators who have either seen the quarterbacks live (in games or offseason camps), or watched tape on potential picks in the coming draft. The consensus of the group is that at least four quarterbacks will settle into the first round of the 2017 draft: Darnold (if he declares), UCLA’s Josh Rosen, Wyoming’s Josh Allen and Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield.

Louisville’s Lamar Jackson also drew consideration, although the consensus appeared to place him somewhere in the second round.

Cugel
12-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Supposedly, Josh Allen is the QB the Broncos like best. There are some disturbing issues regarding him:

View photos

Allen is going to be a significant wild card in the mix. The consistency that evaluators rave about his size/arm/skills is striking. But there are a lot of “project” concerns, too. One evaluator called continued comparisons to Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz “insulting,” noting that Wentz had a mental acuity and “feel” that Allen doesn’t share. Another said Allen will be a top 20 lock largely because of his size and arm strength, similar to what floated Joe Flacco’s stock coming out of Delaware in 2008.

Overall impressions were that Allen has a future as a big downfield passer but tries to fire a cannon too often. He’s unpolished in the short or intermediate game and is more about power than perfect ball placement. But even with that, there is an aspect that everyone agreed could propel Allen into a real debate with Darnold and possibly Rosen at the top of the draft: When he throws in shorts, he has the ability to blow you away. He looks like a monster prospect in workouts because of his arm and ability to move at 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds. One evaluator said it was Allen – and not Darnold – who was the talk of the Manning Passing Academy in 2017.

“When I walked in [to the Manning Passing Academy], the first thing I heard was, ‘The most impressive guy here is Josh Allen.’”

There seems to be little debate that Allen could light a fire in the draft process, particularly if he can qualify for a Senior Bowl appearance and show well. But at least one evaluator had a frightening warning about getting too excited: “JaMarcus Russell looked like an All-Pro in his workout [at LSU], and Allen has some of those same physical abilities. He’s going to be eye-candy for guys who fall for the great workouts.”

dogfish
12-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Supposedly, Josh Allen is the QB the Broncos like best.

from what little i've read about the draft, this terrifies me. . . i'm under the impression that he's one of the least polished or ready of the top prospects. . . are we really going to take on another "three year project" based mostly on raw physical tools, rather than proven football abilities and performance?

"he has a really big arm!"

Cugel
12-10-2017, 02:39 PM
from what little i've read about the draft, this terrifies me. . . i'm under the impression that he's one of the least polished or ready of the top prospects. . . are we really going to take on another "three year project" based mostly on raw physical tools, rather than proven football abilities and performance?

WEll, at this point it's all rumors. And they probably are not set as to who they like best right now anyway. There is always the Senior Bowl, the combine, interviews, and so on. They will get a lot more info before they have to make a decision next April.

Northman
12-10-2017, 02:56 PM

God i hope not....

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-10-2017, 05:08 PM
I think people are selling Allen short. He interviews well and should be able to develop quickly. He’s also a better athlete than Lynch and would have better ability to make plays with his feet if necessary.

dogfish
12-10-2017, 08:28 PM
He’s also a better athlete than Lynch and would have better ability to make plays with his feet if necessary.

big deal. . . do better, mayor!

we gonna need a LOT more than that from you in an election cycle. . . :listen:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-10-2017, 11:09 PM
big deal. . . do better, mayor!

we gonna need a LOT more than that from you in an election cycle. . . :listen:

In true political fashion you edited my quote, and removed the meat of my statement!

Fake news! :D

ShaneFalco
12-11-2017, 05:26 PM
in 2 years. Chad kelly threw for 6,800 yds and 50 tds with 21 Ints in the toughest conference in football, playing for Ole Miss, who dont even reach top 20 in recruiting. Beat Alabama twice.

in 2 years Darnold threw for 6,873 yds , and 57 tds with 21 Ints in the PAC 12, playing for USC, who are top 5 every single year in recruiting classes. Played against Alabama for a series and flopped after starting QB went down.

So not only did Chad Kelly put up similar numbers with less talent around him, he beat better teams.

Oh and he didnt cost the Broncos a 1st round pick in the top 5.

Northman
12-11-2017, 06:27 PM
If Kelly was all that and a bag of chips he would of gone first round hands down. There is a reason why he fell and its important to remember that when glorifying his college stats. If he can overcome those issues great, but he will have to earn it just like every other QB who works to be the starter in Denver. If Denver drafts a top 5 guy and Kelly can beat him? Awesome, good problem for Denver to have in my book.

JPPT1974
12-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Kelly should be at least giving the chance. If Siemian continues to falter. But at least he snapped the Broncos losing streak.

Rick
12-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Kelly should be given a chance but shouldn't be handed the reins.

Have to at the very least bring in a vet that is truly capable of leading this team to the playoffs to compete with Kelly, Paxton and any rookie they draft.

If Kelly wins, great but can't go into the season saying my 7th round pick with 0 snaps against a pro defense will be my guy. Can't do that.

ShaneFalco
12-11-2017, 07:12 PM
If Kelly was all that and a bag of chips he would of gone first round hands down. There is a reason why he fell and its important to remember that when glorifying his college stats. If he can overcome those issues great, but he will have to earn it just like every other QB who works to be the starter in Denver. If Denver drafts a top 5 guy and Kelly can beat him? Awesome, good problem for Denver to have in my book.

he would have. He got injured at his pro day.

And had off the field issues.

Cugel
12-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Kelly should be given a chance but shouldn't be handed the reins.

Have to at the very least bring in a vet that is truly capable of leading this team to the playoffs to compete with Kelly, Paxton and any rookie they draft.

If Kelly wins, great but can't go into the season saying my 7th round pick with 0 snaps against a pro defense will be my guy. Can't do that.

THAT is what fans don't seem to understand. It's just flat insane from NFL standards. Nobody would risk their job on a totally unproven 7th round pick where you have no idea whether he can even play at all in the NFL. Some guys who look good just flat can't play. Especially at QB. Exhibit "A" Paxton Lynch.

broncofaninfla
12-12-2017, 10:38 AM
If you've ever heard a interview with Kelly or followed his social media accounts you would see why he lasted until the last pick of the draft. Add that to the issues he had in college. The kid is VERY immature and not mentally ready to viably compete at this time. Here's to hoping he grows up quick and makes this an interesting competition next season because I truly feel he has the skills to do so.

Cugel
12-12-2017, 10:45 AM
BTW Rick, Paxton, Kelly, Veteran FA and rookie draft pick means that the Broncos would have 4 Qbs. One of those guys has got to go.

It better not be the veteran FA - which is what happened when they scrambled around to find a QB after Osweiler left, settled on Butt-Fumbler who turned out to be a total bust and didn't make the team, forcing them to go with Trevor Siemian.

That leaves 3 QBs for 2 slots.

And this assumes they dump Trevor which is by no means certain. I don't think that either the team or Trevor wants to enter this off-season with another QB competition between Trevor and some other vet.

Elway keeping VJ around for another year probably means he's going to insist that Paxton Lynch remain on the roster for another year and they'll try and "develop" him. The fans won't like it at all, but Elway is too stubborn to give up on this guy.

That means VET, plus Paxton, Plus rookie make the team. No room for Chad Kelly in that scenario.

Best case scenario, they make Chad Kelly duel it out with Paxton to become the #3 QB behind a vet and a new draft pick, while ditching both Trevor and letting Osweiler walk.

We all know how that competition will turn out. Kelly with make him eat dust and we'll be rid of Paxton.

I think the fans really will riot if Kelly shows in the preseason like Kyle Sloter did and they just cut him because Elway wants to keep Paxton one more year because they drafted him.

Cugel
12-12-2017, 10:49 AM
If you've ever heard a interview with Kelly or followed his social media accounts you would see why he lasted until the last pick of the draft. Add that to the issues he had in college. The kid is VERY immature and not mentally ready to viably compete at this time. Here's to hoping he grows up quick and makes this an interesting competition next season because I truly feel he has the skills to do so.

The word out of Dove Valley (according to the former Broncos players who are media analysts and have friends still in the locker-room like Tyler Polumbus, etc.) is that Chad Kelly is spending all his time in the play book and is eager to get on the field and prove himself. He's making a maximum effort.

I have zero idea if this is true. Of course, it might not matter. He might come out and look like just any other late round QB - a long term project for a team that needs instant results, not more long term projects with "promise."

In that case he's an easy cut and they go with rookie, FA veteran and Paxton, with the FA veteran starting until the rookie is ready, with Paxton languishing on the bench and running the scout team for another year or two. And you hope he never gets into a game.

I feel pretty good about this prediction now that the season is coming to an end.

Hawgdriver
12-12-2017, 10:52 AM
BTW Rick, Paxton, Kelly, Veteran FA and rookie draft pick means that the Broncos would have 4 Qbs. One of those guys has got to go.

It better not be the veteran FA - which is what happened when they scrambled around to find a QB after Osweiler left, settled on Butt-Fumbler who turned out to be a total bust and didn't make the team, forcing them to go with Trevor Siemian.

And this assumes they dump Trevor which is by no means certain. I don't think that either the team or Trevor wants to enter this off-season with another QB competition between Trevor and some other vet.

Elway keeping VJ around for another year probably means he's going to insist that Paxton Lynch remain on the roster for another year and they'll try and "develop" him. The fans won't like it at all, but Elway is too stubborn to give up on this guy.

That means VET, plus Paxton, Plus rookie make the team. No room for Chad Kelly in that scenario.

Best case scenario, they make Chad Kelly duel it out with Paxton to become the #3 QB behind a vet and a new draft pick, while ditching both Trevor and letting Osweiler walk.

We all know how that competition will turn out. Kelly with make him eat dust and we'll be rid of Paxton.

I think the fans really will riot if Kelly shows in the preseason like Kyle Sloter did and they just cut him because Elway wants to keep Paxton one more year because they drafted him.

286 words: 2018 QB anyone's guess

Rick
12-12-2017, 11:22 AM

I agree, 1 will have to go.

PL as the former first rounder will still get a shot, but if he can't step up and prove to be the man, he will be gone.

A vet will be brought in that is proven because as with PL and Simien and Oz, we can't rely on just any Joe Shmoe. If 1 of the kids can't get it done we need a vet that can and that vet is NOT on the roster.

I see it as something like:

Bradford on 2 year deal.
Rookie.
PL.
Kelly.

Pl needs to show something immediately or is gone.

underrated29
12-12-2017, 11:40 AM
I figured it could use some refreshing....

Vance Joseph said that he thought De Jour Kelly was the best QB in that draft class.

More and more it is sounding like we are going to pull a vet from FA and see what Kelly and perhaps Paxton can do to win. Thus keeping our high round picks for some badass impact players and not developmental guys.

turftoad
12-12-2017, 01:08 PM

Vance Joseph said that he thought De Jour Kelly was the best QB in that draft class.

More and more it is sounding like we are going to pull a vet from FA and see what Kelly and perhaps Paxton can do to win. Thus keeping our high round picks for some badass impact players and not developmental guys.
I agree.

The only thing about this statement is that VJ said Kelly was the best in the draft class. Probably won't matter because VJ might not be here. At least I hope he is not.

Broncoknight30
12-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Alex Smith. He has a working knowledge of how the Chiefs run their offense, he is not brittle glass Bradford and he is actually quite effective.

That is the veteran to target and then have Chad Kelly groomed as a back up.

I know that wont happen. Elway will want to stick with Lynch.

Sigh.....

dogfish
12-12-2017, 02:02 PM

before we drafted him, or after?

Rick
12-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Did he scout him on a Wednesday?

dogfish
12-12-2017, 02:23 PM
"Save us, Swag Kelly, you're our only hope!!"

:lol::lol:

Rick
12-12-2017, 02:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsNM7tLSl1w

underrated29
12-12-2017, 02:47 PM
before we drafted him, or after?

I think he said it after the draft.

dogfish
12-12-2017, 02:50 PM
I think he said it after the draft.

yea, me too. . . :laugh:

underrated29
12-12-2017, 03:18 PM
Lol setting them up and knocking them down.

Shazam!
12-12-2017, 07:11 PM
Alex Smith. He has a working knowledge of how the Chiefs run their offense, he is not brittle glass Bradford and he is actually quite effective.

That is the veteran to target and then have Chad Kelly groomed as a back up.

I know that wont happen. Elway will want to stick with Lynch.

Sigh.....

I think Siemien is very Alex Smithey.

Davii
12-20-2017, 12:13 PM
I think Siemien is very Alex Smithey.

I wish Siemian was very Alex Smithy.

Freyaka
12-20-2017, 01:49 PM
I wish Siemian was very Alex Smithy.

Have you seen Alex smith lately?

Captain inconsistency, just like TS.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-20-2017, 02:46 PM

He usually faults towards being overly conservative, not throwing into triple coverage on the run, across the grain (translation-really stupid throws)

Cugel
12-20-2017, 03:14 PM

I doubt that KC would trade Smith here but would you want him if they did? No.

Is there any fans who want to see Alex Smith paid about $10-$15m or whatever he would want (he earned $16.9m last year and was due $20m next year if they kept him.)

Rick
12-20-2017, 03:20 PM
KC may very well trade him next year to avoid the risk he comes here.

If they are sold on Mahomes they could very well cut Smith as well, would save them 13 mil next year.

There is a real solid chance they could get a third or something from a team like the Browns though considering he has only 1 year left on his contract and would be a great bridge QB. Dorsey being over there could actually make that a possibility.

Cugel
12-20-2017, 03:24 PM
KC may very well trade him next year to avoid the risk he comes here.

If they are sold on Mahomes they could very well cut Smith as well, would save them 13 mil next year.

There is a real solid chance they could get a third or something from a team like the Browns though considering he has only 1 year left on his contract and would be a great bridge QB. Dorsey being over there could actually make that a possibility.

Oh, I think there's no doubt that KC trades him and rolls with Pat Mahomes, unless Alex Smith wins the SB or something. If they go 1 and done in the playoffs (likely), Alex Smith is toast. They just wouldn't trade him here inside the division.

They have to roll with Mahomes now that Alex Smith has reverted to the normal Alex Smith.

BroncoJoe
12-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Alex Smith will probably pass for over 4,000 yards for the first time in his career.

His last three games, passer rating has been 135.9, 71.7 and 120.3. For the year, it's 105.4 - his best ever. His TD/INT ratio is 25/5, again career best.

Saying he's on a downhill slide is Cugelish, aka: wrong and uninformed.

Freyaka
12-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Alex Smith will probably pass for over 4,000 yards for the first time in his career.

His last three games, passer rating has been 135.9, 71.7 and 120.3. For the year, it's 105.4 - his best ever. His TD/INT ratio is 25/5, again career best.

Ah yes, passer rating. The end all be all of QB evaluation...Well crap...I guess Joe proved me wrong. Alex Smith isn't inconsistent at all.

BroncoJoe
12-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Ah yes, passer rating. The end all be all of QB evaluation...Well crap...I guess Joe proved me wrong. Alex Smith isn't inconsistent at all.

Funny you only picked out passer rating to cry about out of the other stats he's put up this year and I posted.

Broncoknight30
12-20-2017, 04:22 PM

He is actually the top rated QB. His YPA is over 8. His TD to INT ratio is outstanding. He is very mobile.

He may be the best QB to land if they could.

ShaneFalco
12-20-2017, 04:30 PM
Chad Kelly is already on the team.

Freyaka
12-20-2017, 04:33 PM
Funny you only picked out passer rating to cry about out of the other stats he's put up this year and I posted.

The thing on it is Joe, he was really hot early in the year when much of those stats were earned. But the thing about Smith is he'll be really hot, then really cold. There was a big gap in the middle (outside of the last three games) where he was really cold.

Yes, overall the numbers are great, but none of that takes away from the fact that he's an incredibly inconsistent performer and has been most of his career.

BroncoJoe
12-20-2017, 04:38 PM
The thing on it is Joe, he was really hot early in the year when much of those stats were earned. But the thing about Smith is he'll be really hot, then really cold. There was a big gap in the middle (outside of the last three games) where he was really cold.

Yes, overall the numbers are great, but none of that takes away from the fact that he's an incredibly inconsistent performer and has been most of his career.

We'll just agree to disagree. I think you're completely wrong, but whatever. Dude has had an outstanding year.

Freyaka
12-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Case in point Joe.
Week 6 19/34 246 yards 1 TD
Week 7 25/36 342 yards 3 TD
Week 8 14/31 202 yards 1 TD
Week 9 25/34 263 yards 2 TD 1 INT
Week 11 27/40 230 yards 0TD 2 INT
Week 12 23/36 199 yards 1TD 1 INT
Week 13 19/33 366 yards 4TD 0 INT

And none of those are "bad" numbers but it's like one week he's superman scoring 3/4 TD's the next his only completing 50 percent of his passes and struggling to score. Thankfully he has a good run game to pick up the slack, but it's just hit or miss. He's either really really good, or he's just kinda meh and gets inaccurate.

Is he better than what we have now? Absolutely, but he's so freaking hit or miss all the time. You never know what you are getting from one game to the next.

BroncoJoe
12-20-2017, 05:01 PM
Yeah. I've never seen a QB have a poor week during 16 game schedule.

:rolleyes:

7DnBrnc53
12-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Siemien has been ruined by the Line, like David Carr in Houston. Physically beaten to a pulp it destoyed him mentally.

The line hasn't been a friend to Siemian, but the facts are that he isn't that good. Since last year, he usually is a one-read QB, and he always seemed to either throw a key pick, or almost throw a key pick.

And the FIRST question to be solved isn't QB, it's the line; solve the QB question with neither protection NOR run support and you're just dooming the next David Carr or Vinny Testaverde. Ya'll remember Vinny, right; the Heisman winner Tampa drafted #1 overall because their starting QB Steve Young turned out to be "a loser"? Anyone who thinks the Texans are two-time defending AFCS Champs because Oz>Luck is loopy.

Good point, Joel. People like Carmen Policy, Dwight Clark, and Charley Casserly seemed to have trouble understanding this in 1999 and 02 when they drafted Couch and Carr. Also, Vinny was a big mistake, but Tampa was a dumpster fire under owner Hugh Culvercheapskate.

dogfish
12-20-2017, 07:18 PM
smith clearly is nothing special-- he's the definition of a mediocre QB. . . that puts him light years ahead of the useless stiffs we have right now. . . and IF the chefs were to release him, he'd also be the second-best QB available in free agency-- smith is better than rollbar taylor or teddy water under the bridge, that is a fact. . . am i longing for the donkeys to sign alex? not at all. . . but if we do go the FA route, and he's available, he will be the best option in our realistic price range. . . pretty harf, but that's where we're at right now. . .

Buff
12-20-2017, 07:43 PM
smith clearly is nothing special-- he's the definition of a mediocre QB. . . that puts him light years ahead of the useless stiffs we have right now. . . and IF the chefs were to release him, he'd also be the second-best QB available in free agency-- smith is better than rollbar taylor or teddy water under the bridge, that is a fact. . . am i longing for the donkeys to sign alex? not at all. . . but if we do go the FA route, and he's available, he will be the best option in our realistic price range. . . pretty harf, but that's where we're at right now. . .

I think I'd rather take a flyer on an 85 year old Eli Manning than Smith, but generally agree with everything you said here. The thing that intrigues me about Smith is that IF we still have a top defense - then bringing in the ultimate game manager would be a nice complement. Just think about how many games we might have been able to win this year with just slightly above average QB play.

Hawgdriver
12-20-2017, 07:51 PM
I think I'd rather take a flyer on an 85 year old Eli Manning than Smith, but generally agree with everything you said here. The thing that intrigues me about Smith is that IF we still have a top defense - then bringing in the ultimate game manager would be a nice complement. Just think about how many games we might have been able to win this year with just slightly above average QB play.

I like Eli Manning for no good reason.

Buff
12-20-2017, 07:57 PM
I like Eli Manning for no good reason.

Same. I like all the narratives around Manning part deux, his standard for conduct, his propensity for winning SBs (against the Pats)...

I heard them talking on KOA a few weeks back (I couldn't tell if it was Logan or Lewis, which makes a big difference on how much stock I put in it) about how Archie dislikes John Elway and they think there is bad blood in the way Elway dealt with Peyton his last year... I tend to think that could all be water under the bridge, but it was interesting.

Davii
12-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Same. I like all the narratives around Manning part deux, his standard for conduct, his propensity for winning SBs (against the Pats)...

I heard them talking on KOA a few weeks back (I couldn't tell if it was Logan or Lewis, which makes a big difference on how much stock I put in it) about how Archie dislikes John Elway and they think there is bad blood in the way Elway dealt with Peyton his last year... I tend to think that could all be water under the bridge, but it was interesting.

I don't really see that. Peyton has been at a few Denver games this year, they weren't honouring him at half-time or anything. If there were bad blood between the Manning clan and Elway I don't think Peyton would be coming to games outside of a PR reason to be there.

Cugel
12-21-2017, 12:32 PM

OK. You win. Alex Smith is der awesome! :coffee:

Except they are getting rid of him. They drafted Pat Mahomes, moving up in the first round to get him. They did that for a reason. The reason is they don't trust Alex Smith or believe in him as their long term solution. Then he came out and for the first 1/2 of the season he looked like Tom Brady. Except better.

Then he reverted to being the Alex Smith they all know and love in KC. Now he's toast in KC. They are getting rid of him this off-season.

And just as soon as some incredibly brilliant team hired BroncoJoe to be their new GM, he will move to that city and be the highest paid QB in the NFL! Go team Smith!

BroncoJoe
12-21-2017, 12:59 PM

Except they are getting rid of him. They drafted Pat Mahomes, moving up in the first round to get him. They did that for a reason. The reason is they don't trust Alex Smith or believe in him as their long term solution. Then he came out and for the first 1/2 of the season he looked like Tom Brady. Except better.

Then he reverted to being the Alex Smith they all know and love in KC. Now he's toast in KC. They are getting rid of him this off-season.

And just as soon as some incredibly brilliant team hired BroncoJoe to be their new GM, he will move to that city and be the highest paid QB in the NFL! Go team Smith!

I'd take him over our QB's everyday and especially Sunday. Guess I didn't realize the QB is responsible for all losses, but none of the wins. His worst games are still (somewhat) better than some of our QB's best games.

PS: You're an *****.

Dreadnought
12-21-2017, 01:04 PM
He is actually the top rated QB. His YPA is over 8. His TD to INT ratio is outstanding. He is very mobile.

He may be the best QB to land if they could.

I've thought for years that Smith was massively under-rated myself

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-21-2017, 01:07 PM
I've thought for years that Smith was massively under-rated myself

The only criticism I’ve had of him in the past was his fear of throwing down the field. He seems to be doing more of it this year, even with the receivers he has.

Northman
12-22-2017, 11:36 AM
https://scontent.fphl2-4.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/25508140_1773647922646881_447049402938064505_n.jpg ?oh=aeca3a0f5d9e1940995151dc704e6221&oe=5ACEA0AC

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2017, 12:02 PM
https://scontent.fphl2-4.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/25508140_1773647922646881_447049402938064505_n.jpg ?oh=aeca3a0f5d9e1940995151dc704e6221&oe=5ACEA0AC

This reminds me of when Jake Plummer came to Denver at the end of a season with Arizona and we were speculating he might be in a Broncos uniform the next year. Although, I think Cousins is a better quarterback.

Rick
12-22-2017, 12:29 PM
What's this QB doing these days? Is he available?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXTHkseg7tg

Broncoknight30
12-22-2017, 01:40 PM
This reminds me of when Jake Plummer came to Denver at the end of a season with Arizona and we were speculating he might be in a Broncos uniform the next year. Although, I think Cousins is a better quarterback.

Has he won anything in Washington? What will he command? 40 mil per year?

No thanks.

Valar Morghulis
12-22-2017, 03:25 PM
I would pay cousins about 28 mil a year - and would not feel like we were getting ripped off. If we start encroaching on 30 mil though i would begin to cringe at it, but 40 mil a year is just not realistic

Rick
12-22-2017, 03:33 PM
No-one is worth 40.

VonDoom
12-22-2017, 03:59 PM

If we sign Cousins, he's our QB for the foreseeable future. If we sign anyone else - Eli, Smith, Taylor, etc - he doesn't have to be the long term answer. The Chiefs reached what they felt was their ceiling with him, and so be it. Smith would easily be the best QB on our roster today. If we signed him to a short term deal and groomed our first round pick behind him (which I would still strongly suggest we do, unless, again, we get Cousins), then I would have no problem with that.

Northman
12-22-2017, 05:01 PM
Smith is a good game manager but if you need him to pick the team up and win it on his shoulders he cannot do that. He fits well with what KC has currently but when push comes to shove he cant elevate that team any higher than it already is. With all that said he would be better than any QB we currently have and with our defense could easily guide this team to a SB.

Rick
12-22-2017, 05:09 PM
https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/12/22/16811834/john-elway-and-matt-russell-attend-the-potato-bowl-featuring-wyoming-quarterback-josh-allen

VonDoom
12-22-2017, 05:17 PM
https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/12/22/16811834/john-elway-and-matt-russell-attend-the-potato-bowl-featuring-wyoming-quarterback-josh-allen

Whether you like Allen or not, it makes perfect sense for Elway to be there. I’d be surprised if he wasn’t scouting every top QB

Northman
12-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Yea, i saw Elway on the sidelines. It makes sense. I hope he scouts Rosen and Darnold as well.

Rick
12-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Suppose, but if he brings that kid home in his suitcase and we end up with 3 giraffes and no QB I am going to go Cugel over here.

Northman
12-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Suppose, but if he brings that kid home in his suitcase and we end up with 3 giraffes and no QB I am going to go Cugel over here.

So you are saying that you know for sure that Allen wont pan out? Or just an opinion?

Rick
12-22-2017, 05:23 PM
I am just afraid of all the similarities. If we want another PL, we might as well just keep the one we have.

Northman
12-22-2017, 05:29 PM
I am just afraid of all the similarities. If we want another PL, we might as well just keep the one we have.

Well personally, just by watching this game here i dont see any similarities between Allen and Lynch. For starters Allen has more meat on him and can shake off defenders when the pocket collapses. He also seems to have a much better arm and better decision making. The only negative things i can point out is i did see him stare down a receiver and the quality of opponents hasnt been something to write home about. If it were my choice i would rather go after Rosen but most scouts have Allen as one of the top 3 prospects in a deep QB draft this year.

Rick
12-22-2017, 05:41 PM
I am just scared...if we draft him we better be brining in a guy that can carry us if he is shit, I don't want another mess like we have now for 2-3 years.

Northman
12-22-2017, 05:46 PM
I am just scared...if we draft him we better be brining in a guy that can carry us if he is shit, I don't want another mess like we have now for 2-3 years.

I do think we will need a vet of some kind on the team, i dont think we can rely on having nothing but young QB's with no leadership on it.

Northman
12-22-2017, 05:46 PM

We may not even get a chance to, one of the commentators said that he thought Allen would go #1 to the Browns.

Rick
12-22-2017, 05:51 PM
I do think we will need a vet of some kind on the team, i dont think we can rely on having nothing but young QB's with no leadership on it.

More than a vet of some kind, that is what we tried with Sanchize. We need a damn good vet...somehow.

Northman
12-22-2017, 06:04 PM
That corner owned that receiver for CMU. lol

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2017, 06:08 PM
Why does everyone keep calling Allen a giraffe? He’s 6’5”, and probably isn’t as tall as Manning

Northman
12-22-2017, 06:10 PM
Why does everyone keep calling Allen a giraffe? He’s 6’5”, and probably isn’t as tall as Manning

I actually thought he was shorter. I think Oz is like 6'7.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2017, 06:13 PM
I actually thought he was shorter. I think Oz is like 6'7.

The sweet spot for height is 6’2”-6’5”. Calling him a giraffe doesn’t make sense to me

Northman
12-22-2017, 06:30 PM
Lol, Allen doing his Eric Decker impression. haha

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2017, 06:33 PM
Lol, Allen doing his Eric Decker impression. haha

What do you mean?

ShaneFalco
12-22-2017, 06:37 PM
how does a thread about chad kelly turn into this

VonDoom
12-22-2017, 06:59 PM
What do you mean?

Not watching, but I’m guessing from context that he tripped over his own feet

VonDoom
12-22-2017, 07:00 PM
https://twitter.com/buckybrooks/status/944336800163794945

Northman
12-22-2017, 07:12 PM
What do you mean?

He went to run for a first down and tripped on the turf.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2017, 07:20 PM
He went to run for a first down and tripped on the turf.
The blue strikes again!

Rick
12-22-2017, 07:52 PM
https://twitter.com/buckybrooks/status/944336800163794945

unique athleticism and playmaking ability but he's a work in progress as a passer. He shows questionable pocket discipline, poise and accuracy

That is what worries me. We already have that guy.

Ground Control
12-22-2017, 09:20 PM
unique athleticism and playmaking ability but he's a work in progress as a passer. He shows questionable pocket discipline, poise and accuracy

That is what worries me. We already have that guy.

A couple of them, actually.

ShaneFalco
01-18-2018, 03:07 PM
http://www.jillk.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_0609-370x277.jpg

Cugel
01-18-2018, 06:31 PM
Is Allen Giraffe #3?

Cugel
01-18-2018, 06:32 PM
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/buckybrooks/status/944336800163794945

Mel Kiper has the Browns taking Allen at #1. If they got a veteran QB to play now and groomed Allen this might work. But, he will clearly need work.

Jsteve01
01-18-2018, 10:43 PM
How

By ignoring the position and hoping a project can be the guy. I really wish they had a chance to play him this year because then you could feel comfortable bringing in a stopgap like Tyrod Taylor or Case Keenum. But he's definitely if healthy not the project that Paxton was

Cugel
01-19-2018, 06:39 AM
I really wish they had a chance to play him this year because then you could feel comfortable bringing in a stopgap like Tyrod Taylor or Case Keenum. But he's definitely if healthy not the project that Paxton was

Well, considering that Paxton hasn't a clue how to play in this league that's not saying much. I'd agree. If there was a fair competition between Paxton and Kelly, I've said for months there's not much doubt in my mind Kelly would win.

Well, Mike Klis, Broncos 9News Insider is saying publicly that he thinks Kelly is the one QB on the roster who is certain to return this year. So, there's that.

Freyaka
01-19-2018, 08:59 AM
Mel Kiper has the Browns taking Allen at #1. If they got a veteran QB to play now and groomed Allen this might work. But, he will clearly need work.

And the Browns don't develop QB's. If he doesn't play like Montana, they'll just draft another QB in 2019.

Cugel
01-19-2018, 08:31 PM
And the Browns don't develop QB's. If he doesn't play like Montana, they'll just draft another QB in 2019.

Joe Montana couldn't win with that team. And they wouldn't draft him either. Normally I don't believe that ol' Helmet Hair is right about anything, but his mock draft makes a kind of perverse sense.

If Allen is the sort of big-armed Qb who might develop into a star in a few years, then he's the sort the Browns would normally draft and then tank.