PDA

View Full Version : Practice / press conference notes - week 14 (Jets week)

VonDoom
12-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Remember before the season when this looked like the easiest game on the schedule?

TV Maps are up:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=14

Davii
12-06-2017, 01:35 PM
Remember any number < 8 weeks ago where we thought we might win a game?

We're probably going to lose this one as well. Oh well. I'm hoping this spurs as much offensive growth as the last terrible year spurred defensive growth.

underrated29
12-06-2017, 01:44 PM
I hope we lose. We need to keep losing. It gives us more Ammo for Rosen or a trade for luck!

I wish Isiah Mckenzie was still on PR/KR

Shazam!
12-06-2017, 02:34 PM
I never thought I'd see a Broncos game vs the NYJ where they have virtually no chance of winning.

Nomad
12-06-2017, 06:05 PM
Another 'meh' of NFL games during the day on Sunday. I didn't see who played Sunday night.

Rick
12-06-2017, 07:25 PM
This might be the first game in years I may not watch. I turned off the one last week pretty early on.

Team is pretty unbearable to watch right now.

slim
12-06-2017, 09:10 PM
I hope we lose. We need to keep losing. It gives us more Ammo for Rosen or a trade for luck!

You are a strange duck.

underrated29
12-07-2017, 01:44 AM
You are a strange duck.

Go on....

slim
12-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Go on....

No, that was it.

Cugel
12-07-2017, 11:10 AM

Don't worry! The Broncos will just find some other way to lose. The problem with drafting either Rosen or Darnold is two fold: 1. Cleveland, the Giants and the 49ers are all ahead of them in the draft order. All of them could want QBs so neither player might be there at #4. Plus, the Broncos might win another game which would probably drop them to around #7.

This is a year when there are possibly 4 or 5 QBs taken in the first round, but the top 2 or 3 will go in the first five picks.

#2. Nobody wants to go to Cleveland and they have the #1 overall pick. So, whoever really doesn't want to be drafted by the Browns might simply elect to return to college. That would screw everything up, since the Broncos cannot possibly get the #1 overall pick.

In short the Broncos will probably have to trade up to #2 to get one of the top QBs of their choice. That might not be possible.

When the Panthers looked at Cam Newton, they decided he was their future franchise Qb. At that point, they told all the other teams "we're not interested" in a trade. Nothing anybody could offer them would entice them to part with that pick. Teams fall in love with a QB - it's like telling them "trade me your wife in exchange for a different woman, plus some cash."

It might look like a deal - but if you love your wife you don't want the other woman!

This is a year when there are a LOT of terrible teams competing with the Broncos to be the worst. In 2011 the last time the Broncos sucked this bad, they were 4-12 and got the #2 overall pick. This year 4-12 probably gets them outside the top 5.

Cugel
12-07-2017, 11:12 AM
This might be the first game in years I may not watch. I turned off the one last week pretty early on.

Team is pretty unbearable to watch right now.

I can't watch at all. I watch in snatches, and then tune in later for the lowlights. THere is just no way I could go to the game and sit through this fiasco.

underrated29
12-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Don't worry! The Broncos will just find some other way to lose. The problem with drafting either Rosen or Darnold is two fold: 1. Cleveland, the Giants and the 49ers are all ahead of them in the draft order. All of them could want QBs so neither player might be there at #4. Plus, the Broncos might win another game which would probably drop them to around #7.

This is a year when there are possibly 4 or 5 QBs taken in the first round, but the top 2 or 3 will go in the first five picks.

#2. Nobody wants to go to Cleveland and they have the #1 overall pick. So, whoever really doesn't want to be drafted by the Browns might simply elect to return to college. That would screw everything up, since the Broncos cannot possibly get the #1 overall pick.

In short the Broncos will probably have to trade up to #2 to get one of the top QBs of their choice. That might not be possible.

When the Panthers looked at Cam Newton, they decided he was their future franchise Qb. At that point, they told all the other teams "we're not interested" in a trade. Nothing anybody could offer them would entice them to part with that pick. Teams fall in love with a QB - it's like telling them "trade me your wife in exchange for a different woman, plus some cash."

It might look like a deal - but if you love your wife you don't want the other woman!

This is a year when there are a LOT of terrible teams competing with the Broncos to be the worst. In 2011 the last time the Broncos sucked this bad, they were 4-12 and got the #2 overall pick. This year 4-12 probably gets them outside the top 5.

The giants dont pick ahead od us unless we win and they lose.
The 9ers have their Qb in garappalo.

If we keep this up we should be able to land Rosen or Darnold and imo Rosen is waaaaaaaaaaay better.

Davii
12-07-2017, 11:34 AM

If we keep this up we should be able to land Rosen or Darnold and imo Rosen is waaaaaaaaaaay better.

Who is the TALLEST QB in the draft? We all know that's the only measurable that will come into play.

underrated29
12-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Who is the TALLEST QB in the draft? We all know that's the only measurable that will come into play.

There isnt one, but I heard Elway wants to move Jordan Taylor to QB so we can once again have the tallest QB in the league.

VonDoom
12-07-2017, 11:41 AM

As of now, the Giants are picking ahead of us - they have two wins, we have three.

underrated29
12-07-2017, 12:10 PM
As of now, the Giants are picking ahead of us - they have two wins, we have three.

Well shit balls, I thought they had 3 and had the tie breaker over us....Good thing Eli is back in the fold! Go Eli!!!!!!!!!!

Buff
12-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Pretty sure our head to head matchup against the Giants is a non-factor in determining draft order. The tiebreaker if we both finish with the same record is strength of schedule (the team with the EASIER schedule gets the better pick, because in theory they have lost to lesser competition and are the worse team).

Not positive about this, but I believe we had the most difficult schedule headed into the year, which means we are likely to lose any tiebreaker scenarios.

VonDoom
12-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala
2m2 minutes ago

Broncos signed Jhaustin Thomas, a DE out of Iowa State, to their practice squad.

VonDoom
12-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Pretty sure our head to head matchup against the Giants is a non-factor in determining draft order. The tiebreaker if we both finish with the same record is strength of schedule (the team with the EASIER schedule gets the better pick, because in theory they have lost to lesser competition and are the worse team).

Not positive about this, but I believe we had the most difficult schedule headed into the year, which means we are likely to lose any tiebreaker scenarios.

You're correct in that strength of schedule is essentially the only tiebreaker when it comes to non-playoff team draft position. But our schedule LOOKED like the most difficult heading into the year - that has not been the case so far. If this website is right, our SOS is actually easier than most other bad teams (hence why we are currently #4, ahead of the also 3-9 Bears and Colts). If the Giants or 49ers win this week and we lose, we'll probably be ahead of them as well (though SOS is constantly changing):

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

NightTerror218
12-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Aeticles already have Broncos,drooling of ND guard as top pick.

If that us Just scout chatter then Elway may be prepping for big QB splash in FA.

Buff
12-07-2017, 01:28 PM
You're correct in that strength of schedule is essentially the only tiebreaker when it comes to non-playoff team draft position. But our schedule LOOKED like the most difficult heading into the year - that has not been the case so far. If this website is right, our SOS is actually easier than most other bad teams (hence why we are currently #4, ahead of the also 3-9 Bears and Colts). If the Giants or 49ers win this week and we lose, we'll probably be ahead of them as well (though SOS is constantly changing):

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Man it's hard to believe we are a worse team than the Colts and Bears, and yet here we are.

Hawgdriver
12-07-2017, 01:32 PM

If that us Just scout chatter then Elway may be prepping for big QB splash in FA.

In English? :D

MOtorboat
12-07-2017, 01:39 PM
In English? :D

QB in free agency. Guard with top pick.

MOtorboat
12-07-2017, 01:44 PM
That guard better be damn impressive. Only four guards taken in the Top 5 since the merger and none since 1985.

Hawgdriver
12-07-2017, 01:48 PM
That guard better be damn impressive. Only four guards taken in the Top 5 since the merger and none since 1985.

Glad it's not my call. That would be a difficult trigger to pull.

dogfish
12-07-2017, 01:54 PM
yea, you can't take a guard with a #3 or #4 overall. . . dude better be larry freaking allen 2.0 if you do. . .

dogfish
12-07-2017, 01:55 PM

good lord, man! who is in charge over there, you or your phone? take the ten extra seconds, and spare our bleeding eyes. . .

:welcome:

dogfish
12-07-2017, 02:08 PM
hey, can one of you guys fire up the tweeter, and ask somebody like mase or klis why we never brought carlos henderson back from IR? TIA. . .

underrated29
12-07-2017, 02:16 PM

I knew what you meant

VonDoom
12-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis
5m5 minutes ago

Ron Leary missed practice again with back. #9sports

3m3 minutes ago

Vance Joseph said he was impressed with Donald Stephenson last week and he will “absolutely” start at RT vs Jets

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck
52s52 seconds ago

#Broncos Joseph said defense has taken more chances. Said overall D has played well. But sudden change points been issue. #Denver7

VonDoom
12-07-2017, 03:40 PM
If I understand compensatory picks (and I don't really, since no one fully does), playing time factors in to how FA's cancel out, not just salary. Point being, the comp pick guru at Over the Cap has been saying that he's not sure whether we're getting a third round pick for Okung or if he's cancelled out by Leary. Though he tweeted last week that if Leary plays less, it gives us a better chance of getting that third rounder. So basically I'm saying ... sit Leary as much as necessary for the rest of the year.

LawDog
12-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis
5m5 minutes ago

Ron Leary missed practice again with back. #9sports

3m3 minutes ago

Vance Joseph said he was impressed with Donald Stephenson last week and he will “absolutely” start at RT vs Jets

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck
52s52 seconds ago

#Broncos Joseph said defense has taken more chances. Said overall D has played well. But sudden change points been issue. #Denver7

Expectations for Stephenson had to be pretty low in order to be "impressed" I should think.

Davii
12-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Expectations for Stephenson had to be pretty low in order to be "impressed" I should think.

Probably based on previous play, which would mean they were extremely low. Don't let people by in less than a second probably.

spikerman
12-07-2017, 08:54 PM
You guys are harsh. I’ll bet he had a great week of practice. Honestly, the skepticism is puzzling.

spikerman
12-07-2017, 09:34 PM
Hello? Is this thing on?

BeefStew25
12-07-2017, 10:20 PM
I’m here pal.

GEM
12-08-2017, 09:31 AM
So Vance took the guys inside the bubble after 30 minutes outside yesterday for fear that the guys would lose focus due to the cold. FFS no wonder this team is soft.

Tned
12-08-2017, 09:39 AM
So Vance took the guys inside the bubble after 30 minutes outside yesterday for fear that the guys would lose focus due to the cold. FFS no wonder this team is soft.

I have it on good authority (Brandon Marshall and others) that this team is not soft.

The Glue Factory
12-08-2017, 10:30 AM
I have it on good authority (Brandon Marshall and others) that this team is not soft.

I'd like to see some physical evidence (outside of winning on Wednesday) to support that claim. I dunno, maybe something like... Hmmm... a loss by less than 7 points instead of more than 10 on Sunday? That'd be a start.

Davii
12-08-2017, 10:31 AM

Shane Ray also says no offense can beat them. Nevermind those beatings that have been put on them.

Freyaka
12-08-2017, 11:03 AM

This guy is the most easily impressed person in the world...I could probably impress VJ at RT and I'm a fat blob.

Freyaka
12-08-2017, 11:05 AM

Yea...I can remember times we've seen them working out with snow on the ground, but lets get them inside, can't have them losing focus and ruining our new perfect practice streak.

Cugel
12-08-2017, 01:37 PM

"I thought we had an excellent week of practice!" Isn't that VJs presser after every blow-out loss? "Pretty impressive" means Stephenson will be absolutely terrible on Sunday.

Cugel
12-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Yea...I can remember times we've seen them working out with snow on the ground, but lets get them inside, can't have them losing focus and ruining our new perfect practice streak.

It probably doesn't benefit teams to make them practice in cold weather to "get used to it." Mark Schlereth says that players never do get used to it, they just endure it. But, trying to keep warm and wanting to go inside is detrimental to concentrating on what they are trying to learn. And with this team, that's a lot.

Let them practice inside. It's not like they are going to win anyway.

topscribe
12-08-2017, 01:50 PM
It probably doesn't benefit teams to make them practice in cold weather to "get used to it." Mark Schlereth says that players never do get used to it, they just endure it. But, trying to keep warm and wanting to go inside is detrimental to concentrating on what they are trying to learn. And with this team, that's a lot.

Let them practice inside. It's not like they are going to win anyway.
The players don't think that way. They play to win. Maybe practicing outside will help their
game, and maybe it won't. But you can be certain they will do everything they can to win
the game.

Rick
12-08-2017, 01:51 PM

Had a great Wednesday practice.

Rick
12-08-2017, 01:52 PM
This guy is the most easily impressed person in the world...I could probably impress VJ at RT and I'm a fat blob.

How tall are you?

VonDoom
12-08-2017, 02:01 PM
14m14 minutes ago

Broncos G Ron Leary (back) and QB Paxton Lynch (ankle) ruled OUT vs. Jets on Sunday.

13m13 minutes ago

Connor McGovern to start in place of Ron Leary at RG again.

13m13 minutes ago

DE Adam Gotsis dealing with the illness that has made his way around the Broncos’ locker room. He’s questionable for Sunday.

13m13 minutes ago

Domata Peko (knee) and Emmanuel Sanders (ankle) also questionable to play Sunday.

Nomad
12-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Lynch seems to always be hurt.

Rick
12-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Did anyone notice how well McGovern played in place of Leary at RG last week?

Would be nice if he could step in there and Leary back to LG, and have the guard problem solved.

Hawgdriver
12-08-2017, 03:14 PM
DE Adam Gotsis dealing with the illness that has made his way around the Broncos’ locker room. He’s questionable for Sunday.

But it doesn't say how Gotsis is dealing with VJ...

dogfish
12-08-2017, 03:20 PM
But it doesn't say how Gotsis is dealing with VJ...

lots of fluids, rest, and a good course of penicillin. . .

Freyaka
12-08-2017, 03:57 PM
How tall are you?

5-11.

Freyaka
12-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Would be nice if he could step in there and Leary back to LG, and have the guard problem solved.

Yea, if the only thing we have to fix is a RT, we could have a significantly easier job fixing this mess.

Rick
12-08-2017, 04:19 PM
5-11.

QB is out, Elway won't give you a sniff.

Freyaka
12-08-2017, 07:22 PM
QB is out, Elway won't give you a sniff.

If I lose 100 lb's I might have a shot as punt returner, I can fumble a ball on command. But I think I like Pizza too much to return punts for the Denver Broncos.

slim
12-08-2017, 09:59 PM
I have strong retinas, but I am slow and have a 10 cent head.

topscribe
12-08-2017, 11:49 PM
If I lose 100 lb's I might have a shot as punt returner, I can fumble a ball on command. But I think I like Pizza too much to return punts for the Denver Broncos.
You might be the wide body they need at guard. :whistle:

Freyaka
12-09-2017, 10:21 PM
You might be the wide body they need at guard. :whistle:

Well, I am good at moving out of the way and allowing people to get around me. You may be onto something Top, I'd fit in perfectly as is! I'm going to send in my highlight reel!

LawDog
12-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Well, I am good at moving out of the way and allowing people to get around me. You may be onto something Top, I'd fit in perfectly as is! I'm going to send in my highlight reel!

Not sure two polaroid stills count as a highlight reel, but go get’em tiger.

Davii
12-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Not sure two polaroid stills count as a highlight reel, but go get’em tiger.

Don't discount his Snapchat reel!

Cugel
12-10-2017, 01:11 PM

That is undoubtedly what VJ and Elway are thinking. They want to have that solved so they are eager to see if McGovern can start at RG. This is his big chance to win a starting job in the NFL. If he plays well this season he's virtually guaranteed of a roster spot next year.

He's under contract for 2 more seasons.

dogfish
12-10-2017, 02:14 PM
can someone explain to me why it's so critical that ron leary play left guard instead of right guard? is there some kind of magic that i'm unaware of? what does it matter which side of the center he lines up on? all due respect, i hope they keep him on the right forever, just because it's comical seeing how bent people are about a meaningless detail. . .

MOtorboat
12-10-2017, 02:16 PM
can someone explain to me why it's so critical that ron leary play left guard instead of right guard? is there some kind of magic that i'm unaware of? what does it matter which side of the center he lines up on? all due respect, i hope they keep him on the right forever, just because it's comical seeing how bent people are about a meaningless detail. . .

:itsmagic:

Nomad
12-10-2017, 02:18 PM

Kinda like practicing indoors.

Cugel
12-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

Mark Schlereth explains that it's the opposite of a "meaningless detail." OL practice their plant and kick leg thousands of thousands of times in practice until it's second nature. Your right leg is your plant leg, and your left leg is your kick leg. Every time.

Switch to the opposite side and everything is different. They have totally reprogram their muscle memory. Now the left leg is the plant leg and the right leg is the kick leg. Everything is literally the opposite of the way they are trained. And that is not instinctive.

Yes, they can do it but a guy who is a pro-bowler at LG (like Ron Leary) should NOT be made to switch to RG. He's adequate there, but certainly no pro-bowler. It makes a big difference.

Hawgdriver
12-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Yes, they can do it but a guy who is a pro-bowler at LG (like Ron Leary) should NOT be made to switch to RG.

Remind me the year Leary was on a pro-bowl roster?

topscribe
12-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Remind me the year Leary was on a pro-bowl roster?
I've heard it from more that one source that Leary should be in the Pro Bowl this year . . .

Freyaka
12-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Don't discount his Snapchat reel!

I've literally never used snapchat. Don't understand it...I guess I'm too old for Snapchat...I barely use instagram.

Rick
12-11-2017, 02:52 PM
I have never used Instagram, snaped my chat and have only occasionally twitterpated.

Hawgdriver
12-11-2017, 03:00 PM
I, too, snub the horseless carriage. Infernal contraption.

underrated29
12-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Snap chat is a marvelous tool that is used to getting girls. I use it all the time. It works like a charm. I love snap chat. Now to use it for documenting stuff, I think that is dumb.

Buff
12-11-2017, 03:10 PM
Snap chat is a marvelous tool that is used to getting girls. I use it all the time. It works like a charm. I love snap chat. Now to use it for documenting stuff, I think that is dumb.

No wonder I'm single. "Aye girl, check it out, I have this dog nose and a rainbow for a tongue." is the new "Wanna go for coffee?"

underrated29
12-11-2017, 03:13 PM
No wonder I'm single. "Aye girl, check it out, I have this dog nose and a rainbow for a tongue." is the new "Wanna go for coffee?"

Nah, you use it to make sure that their friends are hot and to get a good look at them. Plus, they love sending naked pics as they delete away.
It works wonders too if you meet a girl on tinder or something. Get her snap to make sure she is as pretty as advertised. You can also then show her your place so she feels comfortable coming over and badda bing badda boom you slay that snatch up in your room.

Timmy!
12-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Snap chat is a marvelous tool that is used by girls and fem guys to send totally obvious messages. Here is me with a clown wig, that means I like funny stuff. Here I am with dog ears and a tongue, that means I like it doggystyle.

Fify

underrated29
12-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Fify

That snap chat is for guys like you and buff. Those who are not in committed relationships use it as I described.

Timmy!
12-11-2017, 03:57 PM
That snap chat is for guys like you and buff. Those who are not in committed relationships use it as I described.

Pretend I'm sending you a picture of Jamal Charles in a suit made of dog shit. Pay buffalo.

BroncoJoe
12-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Pretend I'm sending you a picture of Jamal Charles in a suit made of dog shit. Pay buffalo.

Right. It's for people that have no game and no options.

underrated29
12-11-2017, 04:31 PM

But I would not open a snap from you. It would likely consist of your balls dangling in the moonlight.

underrated29
12-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Right. It's for people that have no game and no options.

That was pretty good joe

Timmy!
12-11-2017, 04:39 PM
But I would not open a snap from you. It would likely consist of your balls dangling in the moonlight.

I have never used snap chat, but that sounds like a good 1st pic.