PDA

View Full Version : Elway won’t make staff changes until after the season

ShaneFalco
12-05-2017, 05:03 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/elway-won-t-staff-changes-211613873.html

The Broncos, two years after making it to the Super Bowl and winning it, have won only three of 12 games in 2017, with eight losses in a row and counting. The man running the football operation has concerns about how things have gotten to this point, but he vows to make no staff changes until the season ends.

“We’re gonna finish the season out and, you know, obviously we know the expectations of the Denver Broncos,” G.M. John Elway told Dave Logan of Orange & Blue 760. “And this has been a tough year. It’s not what the Broncos are about. I’m embarrassed about it, the fact that this has happened, and will do my part to hopefully get this thing turned around next year, and the expectations of Broncos fans should be for us to get this turned around.”

Elway pointed out that, apart from the eight straight losses, too many of them have happened by double digits. By 13 to the Giants, but 21 to the Chargers, by 10 to the Chiefs, by 28 to the Eagles, by 25 to the Patriots, and most recently by 26 to the Dolphins.

chazoe60
12-05-2017, 05:16 PM
With a little Luck we'll land David Shaw in '18. That's my new motto.

Tned
12-05-2017, 06:01 PM
With a little Luck we'll land David Shaw in '18. That's my new motto.

And hope he isn't a Jim Harbough or any other of the many, many college coaches that couldn't make the leap.

UnderArmour
12-05-2017, 09:00 PM
And hope he isn't a Jim Harbough or any other of the many, many college coaches that couldn't make the leap.

Harbaugh was a phenomenal coach for the 49ers, and led them to 3 consecutive NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl. So, I would actually hope we get a guy like Jim Harbaugh.

BroncoWave
12-05-2017, 09:07 PM

Uh, wut?

Tned
12-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Uh, wut?

Yea, brain fart. He's not a good example of struggling college coach.

FanInAZ
12-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Harbaugh was a phenomenal coach for the 49ers, and led them to 3 consecutive NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl. So, I would actually hope we get a guy like Jim Harbaugh.

This is true, but you left out the part about the team unraveling during his 4th season resulting in his abrupt departure. In all of the years I've watched the NFL, I've never seen a SB contender completely self-destructed due to personality conflicts. Can he repeat those 3 great years before repeating the self-destruction?

BeefStew25
12-05-2017, 10:40 PM
Shaw is light skinned, right?

MOtorboat
12-05-2017, 11:05 PM
Shaw is light skinned, right?

Oh dear.

UnderArmour
12-06-2017, 01:03 AM
This is true, but you left out the part about the team unraveling during his 4th season resulting in his abrupt departure. In all of the years I've watched the NFL, I've never seen a SB contender completely self-destructed due to personality conflicts. Can he repeat those 3 great years before repeating the self-destruction?

You mean the part where the coach had a power struggle with a GM and lost, only for the key players on the roster to retire in droves after the coach left? If you thought the self-destruction that took place while Harbaugh was coach was bad, go look at the following years:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/sf/year/2014 vs. http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/sf/year/2015 and http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/sf/year/2016

Harbaugh fought for more personnel say, and Baalke felt threatened hence the leaks to the press about how Harbaugh was "losing the locker room" or how he was disrespectful of the owner and that nonsense. Kaepernick hasn't looked the same since Harbaugh left and the roster fell apart with retirements as soon as Harbaugh left.

I don't know what personality conflicts you're talking about.

Cugel
12-06-2017, 03:27 AM

The personality conflicts were because the GM was a moron and fired Harbaugh. Then both the GM and his replacement coach got fired for sucking and depleting the roster of talent.

Then they hired Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch to run things and gave them just an enormous guaranteed contract. They demanded and got such a sweet deal because the roster has about zero impact players on it. Right now they have 2 wins after finishing with about that many in 2015.

Here on the Broncos there was a talent drain but there's no front office conflict. At this point, the roster needs to be blown up and start over, because there are about 3 offensive starters they will keep for next year: 1. G Ron Leary, 2. LT Bolles, and 3. C Paradis. I don't think there is anybody else.

There will be other offensive players kept, but not starters. On defense I imagine they will get rid of some of them as well. No point paying Talib $12m to start on a 3-13 team. They already tried to deal D.T., and will get rid of him in the off-season too if they can find a way to dump his guaranteed contract. Emanuel Sanders is likely to be dealt too.

They will free up cap space for future moves and rebuild through the draft.

Davii
12-06-2017, 07:20 AM
The personality conflicts were because the GM was a moron and fired Harbaugh. Then both the GM and his replacement coach got fired for sucking and depleting the roster of talent.

Then they hired Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch to run things and gave them just an enormous guaranteed contract. They demanded and got such a sweet deal because the roster has about zero impact players on it. Right now they have 2 wins after finishing with about that many in 2015.

Here on the Broncos there was a talent drain but there's no front office conflict. At this point, the roster needs to be blown up and start over, because there are about 3 offensive starters they will keep for next year: 1. G Ron Leary, 2. LT Bolles, and 3. C Paradis. I don't think there is anybody else.

There will be other offensive players kept, but not starters. On defense I imagine they will get rid of some of them as well. No point paying Talib $12m to start on a 3-13 team. They already tried to deal D.T., and will get rid of him in the off-season too if they can find a way to dump his guaranteed contract. Emanuel Sanders is likely to be dealt too.

They will free up cap space for future moves and rebuild through the draft.

So you don't think that either DT, Sanders, or CJ are here next year? I could see one or two of them leaving but I don't think there's any way all three are gone. I'd actually be very surprised if Emmanuel isn't retained.

BroncoWave
12-06-2017, 07:21 AM
So you don't think that either DT, Sanders, or CJ are here next year? I could see one or two of them leaving but I don't think there's any way all three are gone. I'd actually be very surprised if Emmanuel isn't retained.

Plus it would be too expensive to get rid of DT. Would probably have to trade him, but I don't think we'd get anything close to equal value in return.

Davii
12-06-2017, 07:40 AM
Plus it would be too expensive to get rid of DT. Would probably have to trade him, but I don't think we'd get anything close to equal value in return.

If, for some reason, John just wanted to free up the cap space I don't think he'd be worried about equal value. That being said though, I don't see both DT and ES being gone next year. DT is, IMO, the only one of those two that might not be here. Why would you get rid of the one guy that consistently performs and works his ass off (ES)?

BroncoWave
12-06-2017, 08:20 AM
If, for some reason, John just wanted to free up the cap space I don't think he'd be worried about equal value. That being said though, I don't see both DT and ES being gone next year. DT is, IMO, the only one of those two that might not be here. Why would you get rid of the one guy that consistently performs and works his ass off (ES)?

Totally agree. Sanders is one of the few guys who seems to give a shit week in and week out. I'd hate to see him go.

Nomad
12-06-2017, 08:31 AM

If Michigan losses their bowl game, Harbaugh may be looking for a quick exit. It's not going as he hoped up there.

BeefStew25
12-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Is Harbaugh light skinned?

Edmonton Bronco Fan
12-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Peyton Manning as GM.

Mike Leach as Head Coach.

BroncoJoe
12-07-2017, 05:37 PM
I'm glad he's not making any substantial changes during the season. That's a POS move, unless there's something really bad happening (i.e. other than losing games).

Let's see how the dust settles after the season is over.

Buff
12-07-2017, 05:53 PM
I'm glad he's not making any substantial changes during the season. That's a POS move, unless there's something really bad happening (i.e. other than losing games).

Speaking of which, a POS move is firing a perfectly good and experienced OC who turned down other opportunities to come here midseason and then not seeing a single improvement in that unit.

BroncoJoe
12-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Speaking of which, a POS move is firing a perfectly good and experienced OC who turned down other opportunities to come here midseason and then not seeing a single improvement in that unit.

Wait. What?

Buff
12-07-2017, 06:52 PM
Wait. What?

What was unclear?

Hawgdriver
12-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Wait. What?

I didn't understand it either, Joe. It's reassuring that even the best of us have moments of opacity.

MOtorboat
12-07-2017, 07:09 PM
I didn't understand it either, Joe. It's reassuring that even the best of us have moments of opacity.

It’s a good post.

Hawgdriver
12-07-2017, 07:36 PM
It’s a good post.

If you like to see words and be confused!

LawDog
12-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Speaking of which, a POS move is firing a perfectly good and experienced OC <comma> who turned down other opportunities to come here <comma> midseason and then not seeing a single improvement in that unit.

There, that should clear up the confusion.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-07-2017, 07:54 PM
There, that should clear up the confusion.

:laugh:

dogfish
12-07-2017, 11:37 PM

particularly when the real problems with the offense weren't his fault. . .

kubes, a proven vet OC, couldn't get much out of this unit. . . and i told people musgrave wasn't going to get any more out of them, because coaching and playcalling aren't the primary issue here. . . if we don't upgrade the personnel significantly on that side of the ball, folks shouldn't expect different results next year, either, regardless of who's manning the OC spot. . .

MOtorboat
12-08-2017, 01:04 AM
If you like to see words and be confused!

I read it perfectly!

#belikemikeshanahan
#potshotatbuff

Cugel
12-08-2017, 09:59 AM

Dammit! I'm agreeing with BroncoJoe again. And it's way too early in the day to start drinking.

"You can't fire the players. You can't change over your entire roster just like that, but you can change the coach, and you can hope that is enough to fix teams." - Mark Evans. But there's no point doing that in the middle of the season.

There are no good coaching candidates now. After the season will be plenty soon enough. After all, it's theoretically possible that VJ will somehow turn things around and win a couple of games! We don't think so, but it could happen. If it did, then Elway would gladly keep him.

I'm not worried though cause monkeys will fly sooner.

Davii
12-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Dammit! I'm agreeing with BroncoJoe again. And it's way too early in the day to start drinking.

"You can't fire the players. You can't change over your entire roster just like that, but you can change the coach, and you can hope that is enough to fix teams." - Mark Evans. But there's no point doing that in the middle of the season.

There are no good coaching candidates now. After the season will be plenty soon enough. After all, it's theoretically possible that VJ will somehow turn things around and win a couple of games! We don't think so, but it could happen. If it did, then Elway would gladly keep him.

I'm not worried though cause monkeys will fly sooner.

Elway might give him another season anyhow. I, personally, think the blowouts are too much, and I don't think he'll get another year. Stranger things have happened though.

Cugel
12-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post

As a community service, I'm going to translate that into interest.

It was a "POS" move is firing Mike McCoy because he passed up all kinds of great other jobs to come here, and then they fired him in the middle of the season, but the sucky offense continued to suck.

Objection: Assumes facts not in evidence!

Mike McCoy is not a great OC. He consistently put Trevor, Brock, and Paxton in a 5 or 7 step drops and the crappy T's in single technique blocking on the outside with no help or insufficient help.

That didn't work. The Offense still sucks because they suck. But, that does not mean that they shouldn't fire McCoy. He sucks too and his offensive scheme did not fit the player personnel.

Next year we could get Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins. If not then a top 5 QB pick. Then the trajectory starts moving upward for this team. Things will definitely get better than this. And Elway is never going to rest until he gets the franchise QB he wants. And that ain't Paxton.

Cugel
12-08-2017, 10:16 AM
Elway might give him another season anyhow. I, personally, think the blowouts are too much, and I don't think he'll get another year. Stranger things have happened though.

He would love to do that, but how can he? He has to have some indication that things are getting better - just the margin of defeat has to go down as a minimum.

I'm not saying if the Broncos go 3-13 VJ he couldn't keep his job, it's all about the "kicking and screaming." So far there's been none.

Hawgdriver
12-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Broncos are so cost-conscious now, they will operate on that basis moving forward. Winning is 2d.

GEM
12-08-2017, 11:51 AM

Emmanuel posted a picture of him running down the sideline and the tag line said, "You'll miss me when I'm gone". He deleted it moments after it was posted.

GEM
12-08-2017, 11:52 AM

They explained on the fan that there is no one in the world that would trade for his contract. Not a single team would make the move, just too expensive.

Shazam!
12-08-2017, 12:19 PM
I cannot imagine Joseph being here after this kind of Season. No way. The next two games will not be kind.

IMO CJ is as good as gone and I absolutely don't see DT here next Season IF he hasn't been hampered by an undisclosed injury. I think hes done either way.

Broncos need to Draft not one but TWO QBs (one if anyone actually believes Kelly can be something). Draft all offense and purge this Roster. It is that bad.

Rick
12-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Next year we could get Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins. If not then a top 5 QB pick. Then the trajectory starts moving upward for this team. Things will definitely get better than this. And Elway is never going to rest until he gets the franchise QB he wants. And that ain't Paxton.

Smith is nothing more than a band aide, same as Bradford or Eli. If we were to get any of those 3 we should still be thinking a young QB very very soon.

Cugel
12-08-2017, 12:33 PM
Emmanuel posted a picture of him running down the sideline and the tag line said, "You'll miss me when I'm gone". He deleted it moments after it was posted.

He might really want to leave, but if he doesn't he might be back. I think he will be back if the Broncos want to pay him $11m to be their #1 WR in place of DT. Otherwise no. D.T. is certainly gone. No chance they will pay him $12m next year. THey will need the money from Aqib, Sanders, CJ and D.T. if they intend to get a FA QB.

And this year's FA QB class will be the best ever. The 49ers will have the #2 pick, but are expected to keep Jimmy Garapolo who has balled-out for them, so the Broncos could conceivably move up from #4 to #2 to get a top QB prospect.

But, they could also try and throw money at Kirk Cousins. Alternatively the Vikings can't keep both Case Keenum and Teddy Bridgewater. One of them will be unhappy. Either would look good in orange & blue.

Then there's Alex Smith. He's looking rather sucky right now, but he looked like an MVP candidate for a while. While the Chiefs are in a state of collapse from 5-1 to 6-6 that is only excelled by the Broncos flop.

And he's due $20m next year and they have Pat Mahomes earning $4m a year. So, he'll be a FA.

It's looking more like Eli Manning and Drew Brees will stay with their teams. Brees is an UFA, but he only earned $19m this year and they are winning their division. They can't franchise him because he has a clause in his contract prohibiting that. So, they'd have to pay him just a ginormous long term deal, and he's 39 years old. But he's still got that 104 passer rating, 19TDs and only 6 INTs. He's still elite and right now he's the #2 QB in the NFL behind only Tom Brady. They will probably fret and re-sign him but they haven't done it yet and time is ticking. He wants to stay in NO, but they are estimated to have only $30m under the cap for 2018 and it will be difficult to get the contract done if he earns north of $20m which he is definitely worth.

So, it's barely possible he would be on the market. If so, then Elway will use every leverage he can to get him here, but I doubt Brees would be interested playing behind Denver's crappy line, with zero playmakers on offense, and for a team losing DT, Sanders and CJ. (They are going to have to cut massive salary if they are going to add a $20m+ QB. And Brees would easily get $25m a year. He's not going to take a "team friendly deal" to come here, that much is absolutely certain. He never did in NO (unlike Brady).

More sense to re-build through the draft and admit your QB is going to suck while learning. If it's the right guy, then in 2019 they could be competitive for a championship again.

Cugel
12-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Smith is nothing more than a band aide, same as Bradford or Eli. If we were to get any of those 3 we should still be thinking a young QB very very soon.

We could do both of course and probably will. If Elway is convinced that Paxton isn't really that QB of the future, then it makes sense to draft one and he will have the opportunity to get the #2 QB in the NFL draft if he wants. In fact, Cleveland might be willing to trade out of the #1 pick if Denver were willing to pay the price to move up from #4 (too big a price IMO).

The 49ers would almost certainly be open to a trade if Garapolo continues to play great for them and they should have the #2 pick.

Eli will probably stay in New York now that they've fired both GM Jerry Reese and Ben McAdoo. It's a lot easier to find a new GM than a new Franchise QB. They will almost certainly draft a QB, and that is the chief competition for the Broncos.

The problem is paying $20m+ for a stop-gap QB. But, they will definitely have the cap room to do it once they get through their salary cap cuts of DT, Aqib and CJ. That alone will net $28.5m in cap savings. If they cut Sanders that's another $11m.

I didn't mention Sam Bradford since he's washed up. I don't know if he can be considered a band-aid as much as a bad case of jock-itch at this point.