PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Watkins tells Derek Wolfe to stop playing football rest of season

Denver Native (Carol)
12-05-2017, 11:47 AM
KUSA - After consulting with renowned spine surgeon Dr. Robert Watkins near Los Angeles on Monday, Denver Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe was told that while his injured neck would not require surgery, he would need rest for a couple months.

The diagnosis means the Broncos are likely to place Wolfe on season-ending injured reserve. The 3-9 Broncos have just four games remaining this season.

“As much as I’d like to get back out there and keep playing, when a spinal doctor tells you that you can lose use of your right arm if you don’t rest and heal properly, you listen,’’ Wolfe said in a phone call from the Los Angeles airport Monday night with 9NEWS. “I don’t want to lose the use of my right arm. I’m happy because he said I wouldn’t need surgery which would have meant all kinds of crazy things. But he said there’s no way you should play football the next two months.’’

rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/dr-watkins-tells-derek-wolfe-to-stop-playing-football-rest-of-season/496857445

Dreadnought
12-05-2017, 01:18 PM
No Brainer here

Rick
12-05-2017, 01:19 PM
I hope this isn't the beginning of the end to his football career.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-05-2017, 03:10 PM

I’m surprised he came back after what Robinson did to him.

VonDoom
12-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Makes sense. Nothing to play for, but you know Wolfe would want to get out there and compete. Glad he's taking the doctor's advice. Get well soon, Wolfe!

DenBronx
12-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Yeah put him on IR so he can heal up. Not worth the risk.

GEM
12-05-2017, 06:31 PM
It's official, he's been put on IR. Hope he heals well, if not, I hope he knows his limits so that he has a fruitful life after football.

Although the latter would break my heart as he's probably my favorite player.

aberdien
12-05-2017, 06:43 PM
If I had a spinal injury and a doctor told me I could lose my right arm I would stop playing football altogether. Spine stuff is scary. I hope Wolfe doesn't jeopardize his life for a game in which he has already accomplished so much.

BeefStew25
12-05-2017, 07:08 PM
I want him to retire.

Shazam!
12-05-2017, 07:15 PM
I think he may likely retire after the Season now.

Another void. Great.

BeefStew25
12-05-2017, 07:26 PM

Another void. Great.

It’s not always about you.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-05-2017, 08:03 PM
DENVER -- A lingering neck injury and subsequent numbness in his arm ended Derek Wolfe's season on Tuesday.

It came as no surprise. Wolfe told Denver7 he has been dealing with neck pain off and on since last season, the result of hand sparring and violence in the trenches. He experienced numbness in back-to-back games, leaving the Oakland game prematurely. After multiple doctor visits, the Broncos and Wolfe determined he should shut it down. For now, the doctors have prescribed rest.

"It's a common injury in football. I will come back stronger," Wolfe told Denver7.

rest - http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/broncos-derek-wolfe-tells-denver7-i-will-come-back-stronger

GEM
12-05-2017, 08:47 PM
He was on the fan on the way home with al and dmac. Said the injury is normal, just needs time to rest. Said he's already got most of the feeling back in quad and arm. Stays rehabbing next week and he'll be back.

It all sounded good, hope he's good.

Said this bs losing sucks and that the team can't get out of its own way. He's super competitive, says the onside kick didn't piss him off, he actually admired that gase had the nerve to do it, says he loves gase. Says he loves embarrassing olineman and if he gets them, it's the best feeling. He said he's not upset teams are not respecting us, if we don't like it, stop it. Said if you're in a fight, you don't stop hitting the guy and help them up, you get them on the ground and beat them. Pretty intense dude.

slim
12-05-2017, 08:56 PM
I want him to retire.

He is my favorite player on the team, but I hope he retires too

Hawgdriver
12-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Said this bs losing sucks and that the team can't get out of its own way. He's super competitive, says the onside kick didn't piss him off, he actually admired that gase had the nerve to do it, says he loves gase. Says he loves embarrassing olineman and if he gets them, it's the best feeling. He said he's not upset teams are not respecting us, if we don't like it, stop it. Said if you're in a fight, you don't stop hitting the guy and help them up, you get them on the ground and beat them. Pretty intense dude.

That dude might as well stay in football for as long as possible, the cartels don't pay nearly as well for the same work.

Timmy!
12-05-2017, 09:11 PM
I want him to retire.

I think Wolfe has too much fight/pride for that. Hopefully he comes back 100% with no lingering effects. If it starts to impact his life after football (more than just being a DE in the NFL will regardless), then I hope be hangs it up. Being a selfish homer, I'd love him in a Bronco uniform for another 5 years, but I get it.

Timmy!
12-05-2017, 09:12 PM
He was on the fan on the way home with al and dmac. Said the injury is normal, just needs time to rest. Said he's already got most of the feeling back in quad and arm. Stays rehabbing next week and he'll be back.

It all sounded good, hope he's good.

Wolfe is bae.

Sincerely, beef

Shazam!
12-06-2017, 02:44 AM

Another void. Great.

It’s not always about you.

Right. I am not the Team

Cugel
12-06-2017, 03:34 AM

I'm afraid that spine injuries normally don't get better to the point where there's no future problems. We saw that with DeMarcus Ware, forcing his retirement, and we are seeing it with JJ Watt whose brilliant career might be cut short with injury.

I'd say that is very possibly the beginning of the end for Wolfe, just based on the history of other players in the NFL. Just another roster position they need to strengthen before they can compete in the NFL.