PDA

View Full Version : Who would you hire to be the next HC of the Denver Broncos?

broncofaninfla
12-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Given it's almost a certainty that VJ will be fired, who would you like to see be the next head coach of the Denver Broncos and why?

chazoe60
12-04-2017, 09:44 AM
As much as we want it to happen I'm not convinced it's a certainty that this dipshit will be fired. If we are fortunate and Elway sees the error of his ways I would like to see us go after someone with a proven track record of some sort. Maybe we could pry Sean Payton from New Orleans.

chazoe60
12-04-2017, 09:45 AM
I think my dream scenario would be to pry Payton from New Orleans and trade whatever we need to to get Luck from Indy. That would be a great pairing.

EastCoastBronco
12-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Maybe Elway could lure The Chin from the desk at CBS and get him back in the game.
He'd get this uninspired, disorganized bunch back into game shape in no time.

broncofaninfla
12-04-2017, 09:58 AM
My hope is that we can talk Bill Cowher out of retirement. This team needs a overhaul and a leader, Cowher is proven and can bring both. At this stage of where the Broncos are at I would risk hiring another unproven HC. Cowher is a big name and would bring excitement back into Denver.

Davii
12-04-2017, 10:00 AM
As much as we want it to happen I'm not convinced it's a certainty that this dipshit will be fired. If we are fortunate and Elway sees the error of his ways I would like to see us go after someone with a proven track record of some sort. Maybe we could pry Sean Payton from New Orleans.

This is where I'm at. We gave two young, first-time head coaches an opportunity and it bit us in the ass both times. I want to see an established coach with a proven track record here. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but it seems young coaches just don't get as much respect from the players as coaches that can say, "this is what I've done, this is where I've been, these are the teams I led to here and there, etc."

Sean Payton would be huge, but I don't think he's leaving NOLA as long as Drew is still there. Maybe Bill Callahan from the Skins. He's their OL coach right now, and is a damn good one at that, and as a HC he did win an AFC championship with the Faiders. I could see Steve Spags getting another shot, I wouldn't mind seeing him here.

Mike Smith (Bucs D Coordinator) was the head coach of the Falcons for 6 years, did great the first 4, was the guy that got Matt Ryan's career started, had an overall record of 66-46, and was even named coach of the year in 2012. I think he's due for another shot and he would probably be my first choice of the guys available. He's a defensive guy though, even though the Falcons offense flourished under him, and I would really like to see us bring in a young X's and O's offensive coordinator to serve under him if we were to bring him in as HC. Not a retread HC, too many chiefs and not enough Indians type scenario. A young up and comer for OC that is willing to take risks, change things up, etc.

Pipe dream would of course be Gruden. He's signaled a willingness to come out and coach again, but even if he did I doubt it would be here.

BroncoWave
12-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Gruden would be my pipe dream as well. Would love to have him here.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-04-2017, 10:45 AM
John Harbaugh. No, not his petulant, overpaid, overrated, Wolverine brother. The current Ravens HC. There are some rumblings that he might be fired if the Ravens miss the playoffs. I’d take him in a heartbeat. Dude’s a badass.

Hawgdriver
12-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Cooter!

HORSEPOWER 56
12-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Cooter!

Jim Bob? Well yeehaw to that!

Tned
12-04-2017, 10:57 AM
Agreed on Harbough if fired, but as others said, I think Payton is extremely unlikely. The Saints aren't going to fire him and he just signed a big contract extension. The only real scenario is a trade like Gruden back in the day, but that's close to zero in terms of likelihood.

Other than pulling someone from a broadcast job (Gruden/Cowher), the other HC options typically fall into one of two categories:

1. Retread HC. Maybe had success elsewhere and then struggled and was fired. Maybe success in first stint and failure in next. Very few sure thing, no brainer great coaches among retreads.
2. First time HCs and these are massive crap shoots, as there is a lot more to being HC than being an OC or DC.

At least with the retreads, you have some "film on them" so to speak, and have history on how they did as an HC. With the second group, you are projecting whether they can make the leap from coordinator to HC, which is a different skill set.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-04-2017, 11:55 AM
I want a HC who is a motivator. Not a nice guy. I want a coach, not necessarily a “players coach”, someone who can hold his players and assistants accountable and understands the game. I think John Harbaugh is like that. Another guy I think would be fun would be to give Jim Swartz another chance. Dude is an ******* who almost fought Jim Harbaugh in the field a few years ago. I think he can hold a team accountable. No more nice guys. This team doesn’t deserve nice guys. They need a disciplinarian *******.

dogfish
12-04-2017, 12:26 PM
I think my dream scenario would be to pry Payton from New Orleans and trade whatever we need to to get Luck from Indy. That would be a great pairing.

lol! you forgot the part where we get joe thomas from the browns for a 6th. . . :lol:

in all seriousness, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this thread is nothing but a bunch of wistful fantasies. . . reality is the fact that we don't have a deep pockets ownership group. . . and vance is going to be fired with either two or three years left on his contract that they'll still have to pay. . . there's zero chance the broncos are going to pay for a top tier coach while they still have a second contract on the books. . . i doubt they'd pay enough for harbaugh even if they weren't still paying vance. . . also, please remember that we have no quarterback-- you really think someone like john gruden is gonna give up his cushy TV job to come out of retirement and coach trevor freaking siemian? it's not happening. . . besides, a gruden, cowher or harbaugh is going to want significant control over personnel, if not final say-- and elway is not giving that up, regardless of what we want. . . in addition, please keep in mind that we fired john fox after four straight division titles, and dismissed most of gary's staff a year after a super bowl win. . . who really wants that kind of pressure?

nope. . . you don't have to like it, but the odds are the next coach will in fact be another first-timer. . . personally, i'm fine with that. . . i just hope they hire an offensive guy, so we can establish an identity on that side of the ball, and hopefully find a QB. . . i want a situation where the scheme comes from the head coach, not a hired gun OC who can leave and take his scheme with him just when a young QB starts to get comfortable. . . the defense is fine-- draft an ILB and a young corn,er and leave it alone. . . we need to fix the offense, they should hire a coach who understands offense next time. . . my choice would be to pluck frank reich from philly, where he's done an awesome job with wentz and that offense. . . would also look at jim bob, and maybe david shaw if he's interested. . . y'all are gonna be some real sad pandas if you're waiting for a big name, splashy hire. . .

turftoad
12-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Dennison anyone!?

dogfish
12-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Dennison anyone!?

please ban yourself. . . :heh:

turftoad
12-04-2017, 12:49 PM
please ban yourself. . . :heh:

Well he is an old discipline guy. The last time we got the band back together turned into a Superbowl win dog!

Hawgdriver
12-04-2017, 01:02 PM
Well he is an old discipline guy. The last time we got the band back together turned into a Superbowl win dog!

That turnip is out of blood!

Shazam!
12-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Dennison anyone!?

I was told I was insane too.

They need someone from the ole Broncos days again.

Davii
12-04-2017, 01:09 PM
lol! you forgot the part where we get joe thomas from the browns for a 6th. . . :lol:

in all seriousness, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this thread is nothing but a bunch of wistful fantasies. . . reality is the fact that we don't have a deep pockets ownership group. . . and vance is going to be fired with either two or three years left on his contract that they'll still have to pay. . . there's zero chance the broncos are going to pay for a top tier coach while they still have a second contract on the books. . . i doubt they'd pay enough for harbaugh even if they weren't still paying vance. . . also, please remember that we have no quarterback-- you really think someone like john gruden is gonna give up his cushy TV job to come out of retirement and coach trevor freaking siemian? it's not happening. . . besides, a gruden, cowher or harbaugh is going to want significant control over personnel, if not final say-- and elway is not giving that up, regardless of what we want. . . in addition, please keep in mind that we fired john fox after four straight division titles, and dismissed most of gary's staff a year after a super bowl win. . . who really wants that kind of pressure?

nope. . . you don't have to like it, but the odds are the next coach will in fact be another first-timer. . . personally, i'm fine with that. . . i just hope they hire an offensive guy, so we can establish an identity on that side of the ball, and hopefully find a QB. . . i want a situation where the scheme comes from the head coach, not a hired gun OC who can leave and take his scheme with him just when a young QB starts to get comfortable. . . the defense is fine-- draft an ILB and a young corn,er and leave it alone. . . we need to fix the offense, they should hire a coach who understands offense next time. . . my choice would be to pluck frank reich from philly, where he's done an awesome job with wentz and that offense. . . would also look at jim bob, and maybe david shaw if he's interested. . . y'all are gonna be some real sad pandas if you're waiting for a big name, splashy hire. . .

I wouldn't be so sure on that Dog. I think the difference is CLEARLY obvious to Elway AND Ellis between experienced coaches and young first-timers. I think this stings Elway bad enough that, coupled with taking over the franchise after the last first-timer, he thinks long and hard about going with anyone that isn't a PROVEN commodity. I think the team can fork up a couple extra mil to the right HC, especially given that their staff would most likely be younger coordinators not making as much as our former HC OC, former OC QB coach, etc.

DenBronx
12-04-2017, 01:17 PM
I am liking all the suggestions. At this point anything is an upgrade over VJ.

Gruden
Cowher
Payton
Harbaugh v1
Harbaugh v2
Shanahan
Spagnolo
Fisher
Callahan
Schwartz

Out of all of these options I would like Gruden the most.

dogfish
12-04-2017, 01:22 PM
I am liking all the suggestions. At this point anything is an upgrade over VJ.

Gruden
Cowher
Payton
Harbaugh v1
Harbaugh v2
Shanahan
Spagnolo
Fisher
Callahan
Shwartz

Out of all of these options I would like Gruden the most.

if we're calling sean payton an option, i'd like to add bill walsh to the list. . . now there's a guy who can fix an offense!

harbaugh
gruden
cowher
bill walsh
tom landry
vince lombardi

Tned
12-04-2017, 01:23 PM
if we're calling sean payton an option, i'd like to add bill walsh to the list. . . now there's a guy who can fix an offense!

How about Vince Lombardi?

dogfish
12-04-2017, 01:23 PM
How about Vince Lombardi?

lol, in before the edit!

turftoad
12-04-2017, 01:30 PM
That turnip is out of blood!

Well. We did try to go a different direction. How did that turn out for us? :shocked:

Tned
12-04-2017, 01:37 PM
lol, in before the edit!

Great minds...

Rick
12-04-2017, 01:42 PM
I wonder right now if we might need it to be a defensive HC because it seems as if Woods is over his head as well.

I don't mind Woods staying as DC but I think he needs a mentor still.

MOtorboat
12-04-2017, 01:44 PM
I don't want anything to do with Gruden, Cowher or Fisher. Not particularly excited about either Harbaugh or Shanahan again.

Cooter isn't a bad idea. Mike Vrabel, Mike Munchak maybe. Someone mentioned Schwartz - I wouldn't be opposed to that - or Mike Smith.

dogfish
12-04-2017, 02:20 PM
I don't want anything to do with Gruden, Cowher or Fisher. Not particularly excited about either Harbaugh or Shanahan again.

Cooter isn't a bad idea. Mike Vrabel, Mike Munchak maybe. Someone mentioned Schwartz - I wouldn't be opposed to that - or Mike Smith.

frank reich is our guy, MO. . . backup QBs make great coaches. . .

:first:

DenBronx
12-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Wade Phillips?

Yeah yeah yeah great DC but terrible HC...

I just want the old fella baaaaack

BroncoWave
12-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Of all the realistic names mentioned, I think I'd be most on board with Mike Smith. Could probably be had cheap, and he had a good run in Atlanta. Worst case he's a John Fox type hire who can stabilize things for us and at least keep us competitive.

Buff
12-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Of all the realistic names mentioned, I think I'd be most on board with Mike Smith. Could probably be had cheap, and he had a good run in Atlanta. Worst case he's a John Fox type hire who can stabilize things for us and at least keep us competitive.

Ugh - no. He combines like the worst qualities of each of our last two coaches... You get the halfwit tendencies that VJ brings, along with the dated and conservative approach from Jon Fox. Hard pass.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Ugh - no. He combines like the worst qualities of each of our last two coaches... You get the halfwit tendencies that VJ brings, along with the dated and conservative approach from Jon Fox. Hard pass.

I actually agree with Buff here. Nice coaches, like nice guys, finish last. We need a dick HC. Just sayin’ look at history:
Bellichik
Landry
Lombardi
Noll
Jimmy Johnson
Don Shula
Mike Shanahan

All big A-holes who won championships

Now look:
John Fox
Mike Smith
Andy Reid
Marty Schottenheimer

All big “players coaches” who although they had success will never and have never won a trophy because they’re too soft in their players.

There are always a few oddballs that sneak in as deep thinker types (like Dungy and Gruden) but they never repeat because they aren’t willing to be dicks when necessary.

UnderArmour
12-04-2017, 06:45 PM
Bears DC Vic Fangio (who was absolutely screwed by the 49ers in favor of Jim Tomsula years back) or Eagles DC Jim Schwartz. This team needs an attitude and a swagger back, and both have been highly successful at motivating their side of the ball and putting their players in position to make plays.

I'd imagine there's some bad blood between Elway and the Fox coaching tree due to the rumors of what happened to Adam Gase (on top of what happened to Fox himself). This team doesn't need to make a splashy hire; they just need to make sure the coach they get knows what they are doing. There are going to be some hot names available for offensive coordinator depending on how Black Monday turns out, so whoever the HC is will have his pick of the litter.

BroncoWave
12-04-2017, 07:40 PM

Surely the success Atlanta had when he was there wasn't completely in spite of him. I'm not saying he's some elite coach, but he might be the best we can do.

BroncoWave
12-04-2017, 07:41 PM
So we need a dick head coach, but you all hated McD because he was a dick. Huh.

spikerman
12-04-2017, 07:48 PM

I didn’t like him because he was a terrible head coach.

I don’t think VJ is going anywhere.

BroncoWave
12-04-2017, 07:51 PM
I didn’t like him because he was a terrible head coach.

I don’t think VJ is going anywhere.

Sadly I agree. I don't think Elway will cut bait after a year. I wish he would though.

WARHORSE
12-04-2017, 08:26 PM
To me, probably apples to apples in what we see in todays NFL landscape, McDaniels would be the best choice.

Im NOT saying we should hire him. I AM saying hes probably the best choice.

Falling flat on your face and having to go back to your old job will do WONDERS in opening your eyes to what you didnt see the first time around.

heh heh I bet that caused an anus or two to pucker.

McDaniels is a different guy today than when he came here the first time.

Cugel
12-04-2017, 08:36 PM

Neither Sean Peyton nor Drew Brees is coming here. You didn't bother to check his contract situation before you texted that nonsense:

Sean Payton just signed the $45 million contract extension he's been carrying around in his briefcase
Payton has the winningest record of any head coach in New Orleans history.
by Jeanna Thomas@jeannathomas Mar 23, 2016, 9:41am EDT

Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports

Speculation abounded following the 2015 NFL season that head coach Sean Payton and quarterback Drew Brees might not be returning to the New Orleans Saints in 2016. Instead, the Saints have announced that Payton has signed a five-year contract extension. The extension is worth slightly over $45 million, according to ESPN's Ed Werder.

He's in year two of a $45,000,000, 5-year contract: 100% guaranteed. To fire him now would cost them the $28,000,000 he's got left on his contract (not a cap hit). Not a chance in Hell they do that.

But you are right that VJ might not get fired. Sean Peyton went 3-13 his first year with the Saints. The next year they got Drew Brees in FA from the Chargers and the rest is history. Of course it's impossible to see another Drew Brees coming here now. He ain't leaving and the Broncos couldn't afford him if he were (not at $29m. Which is what he'll make next season according to his old contract, which gives us an idea what salary he'd get).

Cugel
12-04-2017, 08:44 PM
Sadly I agree. I don't think Elway will cut bait after a year. I wish he would though.

There is something to be said for giving VJ another year. He'll be the fall guy for another terrible season.

Let's face it, the Broncos are going to suck in 2018. They will be starting a rookie draft pick at QB. They still need to re-build their OL and Garrett Bolles is leading the league in holding penalties, which begs the question, "what if he too turns out to be a bust?" Ty Sambrailo was. T George Foster was a bust, and the Broncos got him high in the draft. So, it can certainly happen that Elway has screwed the pooch once again and that Bolles will never be a great LT. In that case they can move him to RT and get a veteran FA LT who doesn't suck.

That didn't work before because Elway tried to be cheap and get a 'bargain' at LT two years in a row. And it was a disaster both times. Donald Stephenson was cheap and so was Russell Okung, and so was Menelik Watson. All sucked terribly. We would be a lot better off now though if we still had Okung at LT so that Bolles could play RT his rookie year. That would have been a MUCH BETTER PLAN!

Then this off-season, they ship out Okung, slip veteran Bolles over to LT and draft a RT and find another in FA and repeat the process over on the right side.

Instead the OL has been horrible once again and the team is losing 12 or 13 games.

Magnificent Seven
12-04-2017, 11:28 PM
Mike Shanahan

aberdien
12-05-2017, 12:08 AM
Todd Haley's previous HC experience is a little hazy to me, but he is certainly a dick with an offensive mindset who is likely looking at another HC opportunity.

MOtorboat
12-05-2017, 12:51 AM

WWJMcDD?

#bringbackJosh
#tradetheQB

MOtorboat
12-05-2017, 12:52 AM
You know, if the Broncos want to go full dick, Bo Pelini is just toiling in I-AA a Youngstown. He's a full dick.

chazoe60
12-05-2017, 12:54 AM
Is David Shaw from Stanford NFL material? I always liked that guy

turftoad
12-05-2017, 12:55 AM
To me, probably apples to apples in what we see in todays NFL landscape, McDaniels would be the best choice.

Im NOT saying we should hire him. I AM saying hes probably the best choice.

Falling flat on your face and having to go back to your old job will do WONDERS in opening your eyes to what you didnt see the first time around.

heh heh I bet that caused an anus or two to pucker.

McDaniels is a different guy today than when he came here the first time.

Read my sig.

Hawgdriver
12-05-2017, 12:56 AM

Idk, but tell me more lol. I like Shaw too.

aberdien
12-05-2017, 12:57 AM
Let's do it

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1941057/bomad.gif

chazoe60
12-05-2017, 12:57 AM
Neither Sean Peyton nor Drew Brees is coming here. You didn't bother to check his contract situation before you texted that nonsense:

He's in year two of a $45,000,000, 5-year contract: 100% guaranteed. To fire him now would cost them the $28,000,000 he's got left on his contract (not a cap hit). Not a chance in Hell they do that.

But you are right that VJ might not get fired. Sean Peyton went 3-13 his first year with the Saints. The next year they got Drew Brees in FA from the Chargers and the rest is history. Of course it's impossible to see another Drew Brees coming here now. He ain't leaving and the Broncos couldn't afford him if he were (not at $29m. Which is what he'll make next season according to his old contract, which gives us an idea what salary he'd get).

Where Did I mention Drew Brees dipshit?

MOtorboat
12-05-2017, 01:00 AM

Possibly.

chazoe60
12-05-2017, 01:00 AM
I think some people don't understand What "dream scenario" means. FFS

chazoe60
12-05-2017, 01:01 AM
Idk, but tell me more lol. I like Shaw too.

He consistently wins in the Pac 12 with a power running game and seems to run a tight ship. I like him a lot.

Hawgdriver
12-05-2017, 01:04 AM
He consistently wins in the Pac 12 with a power running game and seems to run a tight ship. I like him a lot.

I heard some other great stuff out of the Stanford program too.

dogfish
12-05-2017, 01:10 AM

I heard some other great stuff out of the Stanford program too.

pro style offense. . . their program is known for fundamentals-- we saw how well harballs adjusted to the NFL. . .

Buff
12-05-2017, 01:12 AM

This is actually one of the best suggestions I've heard so far... He's always run a pro system, has always gotten a ton out of his limited talent, has been a former NFL assistant - and JMFE might be able to work his Stanford ties to lure him away.

dogfish
12-05-2017, 01:16 AM
This is actually one of the best suggestions I've heard so far...

well in that case, i would like to point out that i also suggested it pages ago. . .

my choice would be to pluck frank reich from philly, where he's done an awesome job with wentz and that offense. . . would also look at jim bob, and maybe david shaw if he's interested. . .

:welcome: :lol:

Buff
12-05-2017, 01:25 AM
well in that case, i would like to point out that i also suggested it pages ago. . .

:welcome: :lol:

Just let chaz have his moment in the sun you glory hog.

MOtorboat
12-05-2017, 05:48 AM
I was told I was insane too.

They need someone from the ole Broncos days again.

Shazam, you think this is the worst line you’ve ever seen. Is that an accurate statement?

Broncoknight30
12-05-2017, 06:05 AM

This is a nice suggestion padawan...

Northman
12-05-2017, 06:14 AM
I think Northman would be a great hire. He's a no bullshit kind of guy.

Broncoknight30
12-05-2017, 06:15 AM
Here is a coach that is getting some print and starting to climb.

Mike Vrabel, defensive coordinator, Houston Texans
"Great football coach," Texans head coach Bill O'Brien said of Vrabel in January, via the Houston Chronicle. "Communicates well, very knowledgeable of the game."

Vrabel attracted some head-coaching interest from the Los Angeles Rams in this past cycle, but was eventually promoted from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator in Houston, a nod to how much he had to do with Houston's spectacular defense last year. With Vrabel still just 42, it seems like the former Pro Bowl linebacker (and three-time Super Bowl champ) is biding his time for the right job. Remember, he opted not to be Chip Kelly's defensive coordinator in San Francisco back in 2016 -- something that, to me, shows he is patient for the ideal opportunity and not just the first one.

While he'll immediately be associated with the horde of Belichick castaways that currently populate the coaching landscape, Vrabel also has a 14-year NFL playing career (some of which was spent under Cowher) to draw from.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000838514/article/nfl-head-coaches-in-waiting-hot-coordinators-in-2017

For those thinking that this franchise just needs an "offensive minded" head coach, that is a bit naive about the reality of being a head coach. Belichick is a defensive coach and he has had one of the best offenses for close to 20 years.

Tony Dungy was a defensive minded coach and with Manning had one of the more dynamic offenses in the history of the game.

There really aren't many coaches out there that are young that are jumping off the page. David Shaw would be an interesting hire.

sneakers
12-05-2017, 06:43 AM
Topscribe

BroncoWave
12-05-2017, 07:03 AM
I don't care if it's an "offensive" or "defensive" coach. A good head coach shouldn't be overly involved on either side of the ball. Hire good coordinators to do their job, and let the HC just oversee the ship.

chazoe60
12-05-2017, 08:41 AM
I think Northman would be a great hire. He's a no bullshit kind of guy.

I am really leery of hiring another Patriots guy though, you saw what happened the last time.

Shazam!
12-05-2017, 09:01 AM
If they want incompetent play or Coaching i am available for the League minimums.

Buff
12-05-2017, 10:42 AM
I am really leery of hiring another Patriots guy though, you saw what happened the last time.

Chaz putting up career numbers in this thread.

dogfish
12-05-2017, 12:38 PM
For those thinking that this franchise just needs an "offensive minded" head coach, that is a bit naive about the reality of being a head coach. Belichick is a defensive coach and he has had one of the best offenses for close to 20 years.

Tony Dungy was a defensive minded coach and with Manning had one of the more dynamic offenses in the history of the game.

well, shit. . . as long as we can find one of the best QBs of all time, then hell yea to a defensive coach. . . how about wink martindale?

tomjonesrocks
12-05-2017, 02:38 PM
I just hope the next coaching hire makes sense. Changing out a Super Bowl coaching staff in full 2 years later was bad enough, but if you were going to do it Shanahan was the top candidate available. From the start this seemed like an overly aggressive gamble.

aberdien
12-05-2017, 06:53 PM
Just hire somebody with credentials and a history of success...ie not Vance Joseph.

Northman
12-05-2017, 06:59 PM

I knew that was coming. :lol:

Valar Morghulis
12-05-2017, 08:12 PM
Jim Schwartz or Jim Harbaugh for me.

Or Gruden, just because.

Cugel
12-06-2017, 04:35 AM
I just hope the next coaching hire makes sense. Changing out a Super Bowl coaching staff in full 2 years later was bad enough, but if you were going to do it Shanahan was the top candidate available. From the start this seemed like an overly aggressive gamble.

From the start this seems like a recipe for disaster:

1st year head coach.
Inexperienced and uncertain QB situation.
No talent on offense.
Horrid OL.
First time special teams coach, and nobody else on the coaching staff who has special teams experience, so no way to fire the guy when STs are beyond horrible.
Mike McCoy not being able to coach the offense into any semblance of life forcing them to fire him mid season.

I'd say next time they need to get an established coach who can come in and stop the bleeding, just like with John Fox.

I know Elway would love to not have to fire his head coach after 1 season, but 3-13 and a blowout every time will probably force his hand.

Cugel
12-06-2017, 04:40 AM
Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post

Virtually no former Patriots assistant coaches have had much success in the NFL as head coaches. There's a long line of failures going back over 15 years. Remember Romeo Crennel? Charlie Weiss? Eric Mangini? Ouch!

Bill O'Brien is a total hot-head who keeps feuding with his QBs. Its only a matter of time before he blows up completely.

Shazam!
12-06-2017, 04:50 AM
Wink? Seriously?

Cugel
12-06-2017, 05:06 AM
Wink? Seriously?

That was my thought as well. I'd say: hire an experienced coach who knows what he's doing and can right the ship quickly like John Fox did. No more experiments with first year head coaches who will struggle to learn! Not with such a lackluster roster devoid of offensive talent.

Shazam!
12-06-2017, 05:55 AM
Wink? Seriously?

That was my thought as well. I'd say: hire an experienced coach who knows what he's doing and can right the ship quickly like John Fox did. No more experiments with first year head coaches who will struggle to learn! Not with such a lackluster roster devoid of offensive talent.

For a first year guy someone from the Broncos tree may be the exception.

Broncoknight30
12-06-2017, 05:55 AM

Like who? I use fallacies too to justify a point of view. For instance, I do not want a Big XII QB. Meaning, I am not high on a Baker Mayfield being drafted by the Broncos. Long list of Big XII QBs being busts or not having anywhere near what their hype was. Especially if they were first round picks.

Of course, that is a fallacy. Mayfield may have skills that translates and he has nothing to do with Brandon Wheedens failures.

Not sure what veteran coach is out there. Would you want a Jeff Fisher over a Vrabel? Not me. I do think Vrabel would have the respect of the players. I dont think he would have the chip on his shoulder like Mcdick.

The trend in the NFL right now are the new up and coming coaches. Not even necessarily young, but solid coordinators with solid track records.

Mike Zimmer for instance with the Vikings who to me is the clear coach of the year this year. He waited a long time and he is really getting the job done.

I just cannot think of a veteran coach that makes me excited right now. Who do you have in mind? Mike Smith? His philosophy on defense does NOT fit the talent on this team.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
12-07-2017, 05:37 PM
Mike Leach.

Broncoknight30
12-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Mike Leach.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/04/leaving.gif

Traveler
12-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Harbaugh or Shaw

MOtorboat
12-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Mike Leach.

Do it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Just hire somebody with credentials and a history of success...ie not Vance Joseph.

Hey man, his defense was in the top 65% of defenses in 2016. That’s pretty good right?

Jsteve01
12-07-2017, 08:23 PM

This is where I'm at. We gave two young, first-time head coaches an opportunity and it bit us in the ass both times. I want to see an established coach with a proven track record here. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but it seems young coaches just don't get as much respect from the players as coaches that can say, "this is what I've done, this is where I've been, these are the teams I led to here and there, etc."

Sean Payton would be huge, but I don't think he's leaving NOLA as long as Drew is still there. Maybe Bill Callahan from the Skins. He's their OL coach right now, and is a damn good one at that, and as a HC he did win an AFC championship with the Faiders. I could see Steve Spags getting another shot, I wouldn't mind seeing him here.

Mike Smith (Bucs D Coordinator) was the head coach of the Falcons for 6 years, did great the first 4, was the guy that got Matt Ryan's career started, had an overall record of 66-46, and was even named coach of the year in 2012. I think he's due for another shot and he would probably be my first choice of the guys available. He's a defensive guy though, even though the Falcons offense flourished under him, and I would really like to see us bring in a young X's and O's offensive coordinator to serve under him if we were to bring him in as HC. Not a retread HC, too many chiefs and not enough Indians type scenario. A young up and comer for OC that is willing to take risks, change things up, etc.

Pipe dream would of course be Gruden. He's signaled a willingness to come out and coach again, but even if he did I doubt it would be here.

The problem is that I can't see any valuable veteran head coach wanting to coach under Elway. I think best case scenario is you get a really really really good coordinator who has established the fact that he can run at least one unit effectively and build a good coaching roster around him.

Davii
12-07-2017, 09:39 PM
The problem is that I can't see any valuable veteran head coach wanting to coach under Elway. I think best case scenario is you get a really really really good coordinator who has established the fact that he can run at least one unit effectively and build a good coaching roster around him.

Why not? Is there some sort of proof Elway meddles in coaching?

BeefStew25
12-07-2017, 10:19 PM

No but he sucks at drafting.

Cugel
12-07-2017, 10:36 PM

Working for Elway might not be the dream job, but there are only 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL. If someone offers you one and you don't have a job, it's hard to say no. Of course, the top candidates may have multiple offers, in which case someone might refuse the Broncos job, but it isn't terribly likely.

In the past coaching searches Elway was able to hire whoever he wanted. The top candidates included Kyle Shanahan who wanted the job but wasn't hired. For some reason Elway thought VJ was "a leader of men" whatever that meant. It's impossible to figure out now what made Elway think that. VJ is certainly not leading them anywhere.

Meanwhile Joe Woods is clearly over his head, and none of the offensive coaches has done anything. True, the offensive talent is offensive, but the production shouldn't be this bad. Why for instance does Brock Olivo still have a job?

Riddle me that one! Is there one single poster on these boards who would not instantly fire the Special Teams Coach? The only thing special about him is the degree to which he sucks.

They pretty much need to clean house and start completely over.

They are going to dump salary, cutting or trading D.T. ($12M in 2018), Aqib ($12M in 2018), Menelik Watson ($7.4M in 2018), Donald Stephenson ($1M in 2018), CJ Anderson ($4.5m), McManus ($3.5m), Paxton Lynch? ($2.5m), Jeff Heurmann ($875k) Isiah McKenzie ($613k).

The following players are UFAs who will mostly jump the sinking ship:

Virgil Green, Todd Davis, Alan Barbre, Jared Crick, Jamaal Charles, Cody Latimer, Billy Turner, Brock Osweiler, Billy Winn, Corey Nelson.

You can bet that many of them are already counting the days until they can get out of Denver. They were used to SBs and winning 12 or 13 games a year under Peyton, and now they lose 12 straight? Ouch.

The following are Restricted FAs some of whom they may try and keep:

Shaqil Barrett
Shelby Harris
Benie Fowler
Matt Paradis

In short, about 1/2 the roster will turn over next year. By my count at least 9 and possibly as many as 12 new starters will be in place next year:

QB - Certain!
RB - Certain (CJ is gone)
WR #1 - Certain (DT is gone - they already tried to trade him)
WR #2 - Certain (they might move Sanders to #1 when DT goes thus creating a vacancy at #2 if they get rid of him, obviously a vacancy.)
WR #3 - Certain
TE - Certain
RT - Certain
RG - Either they move Leary to LG or they need a LG
C - Possible. Paradis is a RFA.

So 8 certain, and one possible change on offense.

On defense:

ILB - Likely as Todd Davis is UFA
OLB - Possible since Shaqil Barrett is a RFA. They would probably like to keep him.
CB #1 - Certain - Aqib
CB #2 - Certain since they will have to move Chris Harris into the #1 slot creating a vacancy at #2 CB.
CB #3 - They will have to move Bradley Roby to #2 CB creating another CB vacancy.

On defense 3 certain, and two possible.

11 certain, 3 possible changes. There could easily be more than this. Some of the players are simply moving to new positions, Sanders maybe, Leary probably, Harris, Jr. and Roby certainly, but that still means at least 8 new starters.

There will be other cuts or trades unexpected - like cutting TJ Ward just before the season was a surprise.

Jsteve01
12-07-2017, 10:45 PM

I don't know if there's any proof that he Metals. But it's pretty obvious that he's very vocal probably more so than any other GM in the league. If I'm building this squad. As I said before I get a veteran coordinator if possible and then I hire veteran coordinators to man offense defense and special teams. The thing that I loved about Wade Phillips when we hired him was the fact that nobody in the league is going to hire him as a head coach at this point because he's failed miserably in multiple stops at that position. But he's such a good coordinator that people think about him every once in awhile. Listen if Joe would have been great this year and we had another top 5 defense Woods would probably be gone to a head coaching position. I want continuity more than anything

Cugel
12-07-2017, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post

The hot coordinator last year was Kyle Shanahan only Elway stupidly didn't hire him. We wouldn't be in such bad shape if he had. The 49ers might suck talent wise, but Shanahan doesn't.

I wonder whether the hottest coaching candidates will want to come here though?

Shazam!
12-08-2017, 12:30 PM
I am expecting complete change at Broncos HQ, not just on the sideline. Elway needs to clean house there too. Whomever his personnel execs are, they need to GO. And i hope Kubiak is doing his homework on the QBs available in April.

Cugel
12-08-2017, 12:55 PM
I am expecting complete change at Broncos HQ, not just on the sideline. Elway needs to clean house there too. Whomever his personnel execs are, they need to GO. And i hope Kubiak is doing his homework on the QBs available in April.

He's looking at all the offensive talent in the draft and FA. The other player personnel director is looking at defensive talent. That decision is telling. The Broncos have had a lot of success drafting defensive players - Harris, Jr., Derek Wolfe, Adam Gotsis, Bradley Roby, Shane Ray. All are good players now.

Offensively though they've drafted such Hall of Famers as Montee Ball, Ty Sambrailo, Orlando Franklin, Brock Osweiler, Ronnie Hillman, Cody Latimer, Michael Schofield, Jeff Heurmann and Paxton Lynch, all in the first three rounds. Paxton might come in handy if you need to find the Black Pearl in a hurry, otherwise not.

BeefStew25
12-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Elway should go get Sashi Brown. No troll.

dogfish
12-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Elway should go get Sashi Brown. No troll.

and hire wink martindale to be the coach. . .

slim
12-08-2017, 04:41 PM
If they had fired VJ earlier they could have taken a run at Herm Edwards!

You snooze, you lose.

Nomad
12-08-2017, 05:16 PM
If they had fired VJ earlier they could have taken a run at Herm Edwards!

You snooze, you lose.

We all know Herm wouldn't tank, regardless of how bad the season is. ;) :D