PDA

View Full Version : Justin Simmons has replaced T.J. Ward and then some

Denver Native (Carol)
12-02-2017, 03:01 PM
ENGLEWOOD—Built with the long, lean frame of a small-college shooting guard, Justin Simmons doesn’t have the look a good, NFL tackler.

Yet, if he’s not the best at making the open-field tackle among Denver Broncos, he’s by far made the most of them. In his first season as a starting safety, the 6-foot-2, 202-pound Simmons is second on the team with 61 tackles.

Only inside linebacker Brandon Marshall has more with 76 tackles, with most of his coming within the confined areas of the defensive box.

rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/justin-simmons-has-replaced-tj-ward-and-then-some/496346622

chazoe60
12-02-2017, 03:07 PM
If only it were that simple.

Buff
12-02-2017, 03:20 PM
I generally like Mike Klis as I think he's well plugged in with inside sources, but it seems like sometimes he's an extension of the front office. Praising VJ for his practices, praising Elway for his moves... Lotta softballs and not too many zingers.

Simmons has been good. I'm glad we promoted him... But at the same time, if Elway is gonna accuse the team of being soft, maybe don't cut the physical and emotional leader just prior to the season starting.

Freyaka
12-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Performance wise, I think Simmons is a great replacement, him and Parks both play the part from an on the field performance standpoint. The problem is, they aren't leaders, not yet anyway. They may both develop that leadership, but as much as I was like "we've got enough strong vocal leaders on the defense, we'll be ok" in the offseason. I was clearly wrong. We are badly lacking heart on the defensive side of the ball this year, Ward was a key to that. Talib and Von still do their part, but we're lacking that swagger this year. Part of that could be that they are all discouraged because the offense blows and drags the entire team down, but I think losing Ward hurt more than expected.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Performance wise, I think Simmons is a great replacement, him and Parks both play the part from an on the field performance standpoint. The problem is, they aren't leaders, not yet anyway. They may both develop that leadership, but as much as I was like "we've got enough strong vocal leaders on the defense, we'll be ok" in the offseason. I was clearly wrong. We are badly lacking heart on the defensive side of the ball this year, Ward was a key to that. Talib and Von still do their part, but we're lacking that swagger this year. Part of that could be that they are all discouraged because the offense blows and drags the entire team down, but I think losing Ward hurt more than expected.

Simmons and Parks were supposed to improve the defense’s ability to cover TEs. How’s that gone? Combine that with the fact that they spend more time being the recipients of big hits by RBs than the deliverers of said hits, and I honestly don’t know what they bring that Ward didn’t. Ward brought attitude and leadership.