PDA

View Full Version : Practice / press conference notes - week 13 (Dolphins week)

VonDoom
11-29-2017, 01:21 PM
Somehow we open as one point favorites in this game, which is weird since we've lost seven in a row and haven't won a road game all year.

Anyway, if people still care, Cutler will start for the Dolphins:

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
1h1 hour ago

Not a surprise, but #Dolphins QB Jay Cutler is out of the NFL’s concussion protocol and will start Sunday, coach Adam Gase told reporters.

Nomad
11-29-2017, 01:24 PM
So you're saying BRONCOS have a good chance to win.

VonDoom
11-29-2017, 01:26 PM
TV maps are up - not a widespread game, which shouldn't be a surprise. And FYI, we're on Fox, even though it's two AFC teams:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=13

Rick
11-29-2017, 01:26 PM
We were beaten by 3 other hapless teams so not counting on winning this 1 either.

It IS Cutler though...so maybe they beat themselves for us...

Nomad
11-29-2017, 01:31 PM
TV maps are up - not a widespread game, which shouldn't be a surprise. And FYI, we're on Fox, even though it's two AFC teams:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=13

Nothing appealing to watch this Sunday. I'll tune in to Redzone channel to follow BRONCOS. Hopefully it snows, so I'll have something to do.

VonDoom
11-29-2017, 01:39 PM
We were beaten by 3 other hapless teams so not counting on winning this 1 either.

It IS Cutler though...so maybe they beat themselves for us...

Well, Cutler put up over 300 yards against that Raiders team we just played (you know, the one where Lynch threw for 40 yards?) so it's possible he could play well. Just not likely.

Rick
11-29-2017, 02:08 PM
He probably only has to manage to lead the team to a field goal to beat us anyway.

NightTrainLayne
11-29-2017, 02:21 PM
7 losses in a row. East coast, early game. etc. etc.

Make it 8 losses in a row, just make sure practice runs smoothly coach!

underrated29
11-29-2017, 02:24 PM
I hope we lose

Freyaka
11-29-2017, 02:25 PM
I hope we lose

Man, I'm on the embrace the suck bandwagon, but I'm not sure I can stomach the sting of losing to Cutler.

VonDoom
11-29-2017, 02:48 PM
Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck
14m14 minutes ago

#Broncos Derek Wolfe (neck) and Domata Peko (knee) not practicing. DeMarcus Walker working w DLine. Would like to see him stay there remainder of season #Denver7

Freyaka
11-29-2017, 02:57 PM
14m14 minutes ago

#Broncos Derek Wolfe (neck) and Domata Peko (knee) not practicing. DeMarcus Walker working w DLine. Would like to see him stay there remainder of season #Denver7

A DE playing on the d-line...what a concept!! I would hope he stays there too... He's one of many examples of this coaching staff's incompetence...

Davii
11-29-2017, 03:04 PM
A DE playing on the d-line...what a concept!! I would hope he stays there too... He's one of many examples of this coaching staff's incompetence...

I don't see it that way. He moved outside due to a lot of injuries at OLB, lost weight for the role, didn't work out, moved back inside, needs to bulk up. He wasn't put outside because it seemed he would be great at it, he was put out there out of necessity due to injury.

VonDoom
11-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala
13m13 minutes ago

Vance Joseph on Aqib Talib’s suspension: “I was hoping for just a fine, but the process was clean.”

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis
12m12 minutes ago

Wolfe Peko Leary Lynch Sanders DNP.

5m5 minutes ago

Joseph said the flu has been going around for the Broncos. Got 4-5 players dealing with illness.

VonDoom
11-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Antwan V. Staley‏Verified account @antwanstaley
17m17 minutes ago

Jay Cutler was asked How do you look back on your three seasons in Denver?

Cutler: "I don't."

Davii
11-29-2017, 04:12 PM
17m17 minutes ago

It was a 6.

Freyaka
11-29-2017, 04:17 PM
17m17 minutes ago

You stay classy captain ass hat...

slim
11-29-2017, 05:11 PM
I don't see it that way. He moved outside due to a lot of injuries at OLB, lost weight for the role, didn't work out, moved back inside, needs to bulk up. He wasn't put outside because it seemed he would be great at it, he was put out there out of necessity due to injury.

It was a bad decision, IMO.

Maybe sign an OLB to play OLB and leave the DL in his natural position.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-29-2017, 06:08 PM
17m17 minutes ago

Very Cutleresque. :laugh:

Davii
11-29-2017, 06:34 PM
It was a bad decision, IMO.

Maybe sign an OLB to play OLB and leave the DL in his natural position.

And cut whom?

VonDoom
11-29-2017, 06:53 PM
And cut whom?

Kyle Peko :lol:

dogfish
11-29-2017, 07:00 PM
And cut whom?

how about donald stephenson?

i see what you're saying about necessity. . . but given the value we got out of the move (none whatsoever), was it worth sacrificing the guy's whole rookie season? he was supposed to provide the reinforcements our pass rush needed, particularly as a three-tech in the nickel packages-- instead, we just delayed his development by at least a year. . . i try not to be a second-guesser, but i hated this move when we made it-- it reeked of desperation, and those types of moves rarely work out. . . when we put ray on IR, they should have used that spot to sign another true OLB, rather than asking a promising rookie to do something he had little to no chance of succeeding at. . . instead, we used the roster spot to keep an extra warm body like a peko or stephenson, who probably never even saw the field. . . just not efficient use of our resources, IMO. . . particularly when shaq barrett was expected to be ready for the start of the season. . .

VonDoom
11-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Dolphins picked up AJ Derby on waivers, btw

VonDoom
11-29-2017, 07:18 PM
And cut whom?

Also the real answer to this would have been to IR Lynch, who wasn’t physically ready to play until week 11 or so. If not that, then I’d have to see who was on the roster at the time. It always made more sense to try to develop Walker at his natural position instead of jerking him around and during his rookie season at that

Davii
11-29-2017, 07:47 PM
how about donald stephenson?

i see what you're saying about necessity. . . but given the value we got out of the move (none whatsoever), was it worth sacrificing the guy's whole rookie season? he was supposed to provide the reinforcements our pass rush needed, particularly as a three-tech in the nickel packages-- instead, we just delayed his development by at least a year. . . i try not to be a second-guesser, but i hated this move when we made it-- it reeked of desperation, and those types of moves rarely work out. . . when we put ray on IR, they should have used that spot to sign another true OLB, rather than asking a promising rookie to do something he had little to no chance of succeeding at. . . instead, we used the roster spot to keep an extra warm body like a peko or stephenson, who probably never even saw the field. . . just not efficient use of our resources, IMO. . . particularly when shaq barrett was expected to be ready for the start of the season. . .

Cant tell, maybe there was no chance to contribute at de. Had he been blowing the middle up and looking like a stud DE they wouldn't have moved him.

I'm not disagreeing Dog, just saying there's no evidence to support that his impact would've been any different.

Freyaka
11-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Kyle Peko :lol:

Poor guy has been cut more than the arms of an emo teen...

Cugel
11-29-2017, 10:59 PM
You stay classy captain ass hat...

Cutler just absolutely robbed the Dolphins. He stayed retired, but he just didn't tell them. As for his time in Denver, he just doesn't give 2 ****s. Not even 1 ****. About anything. Not being classy is the least of his problems. My fingers would grow too tired if I tried to type out all his problems.

Cugel
11-29-2017, 11:02 PM
Somehow we open as one point favorites in this game, which is weird since we've lost seven in a row and haven't won a road game all year.

Anyway, if people still care, Cutler will start for the Dolphins:

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
1h1 hour ago

Not a surprise, but #Dolphins QB Jay Cutler is out of the NFL’s concussion protocol and will start Sunday, coach Adam Gase told reporters.

If Cutler doesn't care, why should anybody else? And is there any doubt he doesn't care. At all. About doing his job. "I'm rich and famous and you're not" pretty much sums up his attitude.

VonDoom
11-30-2017, 04:16 PM
29m29 minutes ago

#Broncos Joseph said Wolfe still getting tests on neck. "We are going to be careful and smart" #Denver7

29m29 minutes ago

#Broncos Leary could miss game with back injury. Has not practiced last 2 days. #Denver7

23m23 minutes ago

Joseph said winning is more important than getting a look at a young player. He says he’s been given no mandate to play younger guys for evaluation.

slim
11-30-2017, 04:26 PM
Joseph is going to be careful and smart?

That would certainly be an improvement.

Buff
11-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Poor guy has been cut more than the arms of an emo teen...

He is the modern day Chad Mustard.

dogfish
11-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Cutler just absolutely robbed the Dolphins. He stayed retired, but he just didn't tell them. As for his time in Denver, he just doesn't give 2 ****s. Not even 1 ****. About anything. Not being classy is the least of his problems. My fingers would grow too tired if I tried to type out all his problems.

it really would be nice to see von and co. break this chump. . .

dogfish
11-30-2017, 06:41 PM
Joseph said winning is more important than getting a look at a young player. He says he’s been given no mandate to play younger guys for evaluation.

"Guys, scratching out a win so I can save my job is our highest priority moving forward."

underrated29
11-30-2017, 06:42 PM

Break him but still lose the game :salute:

underrated29
11-30-2017, 06:47 PM
T

Bullshit it is! If we drop 3-5 spots on the draft to win a pointless game is foolish! We know the defense mailed it in, no one is going to play hard right now. Forget winning. Secure that ammo for Luck, or a QB or whatever....We have a plethora of picks this year...The higher the better, the less likely they are to Fvck them up! And did i mention that we have a plethora of picks....We can redesign our core with this draft if we draft solid!

Nomad
11-30-2017, 07:34 PM

You're on board with Cutler losing?

dogfish
11-30-2017, 07:38 PM
You're on board with Cutler losing?

what? always. . . :laugh:

MOtorboat
11-30-2017, 08:01 PM
So glad Cutler was traded. He’s a POS.

slim
11-30-2017, 08:17 PM
"Guys, scratching out a win so I can save my job is our highest priority moving forward."

Yeah, **** Cutler.

I hope they destroy him

Nomad
11-30-2017, 10:38 PM
what? always. . . :laugh:

Sorry. I get confused on who is on the "lose at any cost" bandwagon.

dogfish
12-01-2017, 12:02 AM
Sorry. I get confused on who is on the "lose at any cost" bandwagon.

my brain understands that it's what's best for us, but my heart can't root for us to lose. . .

The Glue Factory
12-01-2017, 10:13 AM
my brain understands that it's what's best for us, but my heart can't root for us to lose. . .

Before McDouchenozzle showed up we were the *only* team in the NFL that had never had fewer than a 5 win season. I don't know how many teams have never had fewer than 4, but I'd like us to get to 4 wins. Don't want to get too close to being confused with some hopeless team like the Raiduhs!

Nomad
12-01-2017, 10:18 AM

Who's your #1 draft pick for the BRONCOS if in the top 5? I don't see any QBs worth sucking for to be in the top 5.

Nomad
12-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Yeah, **** Cutler.

I hope they destroy him

We love to hate'em. :D

The Glue Factory
12-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Who's your #1 draft pick for the BRONCOS if in the top 5? I don't see any QBs worth sucking for to be in the top 5.

So get a top 5 pick and trade down to get more picks later in the draft isn't a viable option? Think outside the box man!

Nomad
12-01-2017, 11:14 AM
So get a top 5 pick and trade down to get more picks later in the draft isn't a viable option? Think outside the box man!

It could be an option, and it's never been ruled out, but it's not the answer to my question. I keep seeing the reference to Von Miller as one reason to suck, and was curious as to anyone one player that's a 'Von Miller' in the top 5.

Looking up Walter's...he has the BRONCOS at #3 or 4, and taking a S/CB from Alabama.

slim
12-01-2017, 11:14 AM
It could be an option, and it's never been ruled out, but it's not the answer to my question. I keep seeing the reference to Von Miller as one reason to suck, and was curious as to anyone one player that's a 'Von Miller' in the top 5.

Looking up Walter's...he has the BRONCOS at #3 or 4, and taking a S/CB from Alabama.

Elway doesn't draft players from Alabama :D

Nomad
12-01-2017, 11:19 AM
Elway doesn't draft players from Alabama :D

Walter's reasoning was that Roby and Stewart basically aren't working out as far as performance on the field.

dogfish
12-01-2017, 11:33 AM

i don't watch college ball. . . whichever QB they like best works for me. . .

Hawgdriver
12-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Walter's reasoning was that Roby and Stewart basically aren't working out as far as performance on the field.

Walter has a list of 'consensus elite' prospects. There are five names.

Hawgdriver
12-01-2017, 11:34 AM
None are a QB.

Nomad
12-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Walter has a list of 'consensus elite' prospects. There are five names.

His is the first I could think of to look up, and in no way do I believe his mock's are gospel. He does have Cleveland taking Rosen at #1.

Nomad
12-01-2017, 11:43 AM

Are you sure about that? Elway read defenses his whole career, and knows how to get defensive players, but he may want to consider an offensive consultant to help with offense. Do we trust VJ's as a talent evaluator? I guess we'll find out, because he's not going anywhere.

dogfish
12-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Are you sure about that? Elway read defenses his whole career, and knows how to get defensive players, but he may want to consider an offensive consultant to help with offense. Do we trust VJ's as a talent evaluator? I guess we'll find out, because he's not going anywhere.

oh, i definitely wish they'd hire someone like scott mccloughan to help with the draft. . . i don't trust VJ to tie his own shoes. . .

The Glue Factory
12-01-2017, 01:03 PM

Uuuhhhh....

You hear of this guy named Gary Kubiak? I hear tell he's tasked with finding offensive talent, but that could be just a nasty rumor.

Rick
12-01-2017, 01:08 PM
oh, i definitely wish they'd hire someone like scott mccloughan to help with the draft. . . i don't trust VJ to tie his own shoes. . .

He wears Velcro.

VonDoom
12-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Injury report will be rough this week - seems like the tank is on:

52m52 minutes ago

G Ron Leary (back), DE Derek Wolfe (neck) and NT Domata Peko (knee) not at Broncos practice.

50m50 minutes ago

Shane Ray is out here but with no helmet. #9sports

VonDoom
12-01-2017, 02:08 PM
13m13 minutes ago

Broncos G Ron Leary (back), DE Derek Wolfe (neck) and NT Domata Peko (knee) are OUT for Sunday's game at Miami. So three starters on the lines -- out.

12m12 minutes ago

For Broncos players questionable: Jeff Heuerman (knee), then Shane Ray, Todd Davis and DeMarcus Walker all with the illness going around.

12m12 minutes ago

Connor McGovern will start at RG. CB Marcus Rios coming up from practice squad. #9sports

12m12 minutes ago

Donald Stephenson will start at RT this week for Broncos.

now10 seconds ago

Domata Peko’s starting streak ends at 123 games, longest among active D-linemen.

Rick
12-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Guess we can see if McGovern would be a viable option to start at RG down the road.

GEM
12-01-2017, 02:21 PM
14m14 minutes ago

Just shut Wolfe down for the remainder of the season. :tsk:

GEM
12-01-2017, 02:23 PM
17m17 minutes ago

How fans answer that...

Reporter: How do you look back on Cutler's time with the Broncos?

Fan: He's a 6. He's also a **** muncher.

dogfish
12-01-2017, 02:26 PM

they really should. . . neck injuries are nothing to eff around with, and we gotta have that dude going forward. . .

dogfish
12-01-2017, 02:27 PM
He wears Velcro.

:laugh:

GEM
12-01-2017, 02:29 PM

Who likes? Cause Elway picks guys like Oz and Lynch. :tsk:

VonDoom
12-01-2017, 02:39 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's worth the risk of playing him for the rest of this year. Knowing him, he'll want to be out there as soon as possible, but there's very little benefit in him playing with that kind of injury when we're 3-8.

Buff
12-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Obviously I'm all about sitting down all of our vets and injured players, including Wolfe... But keep in mind a lot of these guys have performance bonuses in their contract based on games played, etc. So I think it's not always as cut and dry as it seems.

GEM
12-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Obviously I'm all about sitting down all of our vets and injured players, including Wolfe... But keep in mind a lot of these guys have performance bonuses in their contract based on games played, etc. So I think it's not always as cut and dry as it seems.

I wouldn't say sit anyone else but Wolfe. Dude has had neck issues in the past and can't feel limbs or his face. We need him long term and that should be explained to him by medical staff. He's also newly married and a stepfather, hopefully he thinks long term.

Hawgdriver
12-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Donald Stephenson will start at RT this week for Broncos.

Guess the Broncos want to make sure Trevor is not in the picture during camp next year.

dogfish
12-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Guess the Broncos want to make sure Trevor is not in the picture during camp next year.

:lol: :doh:

Denver Native (Carol)
12-01-2017, 07:32 PM
In addition to the suspensions for the Broncos’ Aqib Talib and the Raiders’ Michael Crabtree, two additional players were fined by the NFL for their roles in a brawl between the two teams last week.

Raiders offensive lineman Gabe Jackson, who was ejected from the game along with Talib and Crabtree, was fined $30,387 for making contact with a game official, and Broncos outside linebacker Shane Ray was fined $12,154 for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Broncos safety Darian Stewart was fined $24,309 for a hit later in that game that knocked Raiders receiver Amari Cooper out of the game.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/12/01/nfl-fines-two-others-fallout-broncos-raiders-brawl/914746001/

Tned
12-01-2017, 08:43 PM
I really don't understand the fine on Stewart.

Hawgdriver
12-01-2017, 10:56 PM

No, you understand it, you just don't want any part of the contradictory universe that it requires.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-02-2017, 02:39 AM

Agreed, he turned his body away from trying to avoid full contact. The fine is a load of crap.

dogfish
12-02-2017, 02:55 AM
it's effin' turrible. . .

underrated29
12-02-2017, 04:47 AM
it's effin' turrible. . .
Shall we just call it a Vance?

That call was so Vance!
What a horseshit Vance that was. I hate that call

MOtorboat
12-02-2017, 04:49 AM

“Trading down” isn’t thinking outside the box.

MOtorboat
12-02-2017, 04:51 AM
Also, if you don’t see anyone worth drafting in the top 5, others won’t either and there’s no trade partners.

Davii
12-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Also, if you don’t see anyone worth drafting in the top 5, others won’t either and there’s no trade partners.

I mean, the way I look at it, the best 5 players in any draft are worth taking in the top 5. They're only rated against the other players available.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-02-2017, 10:57 AM

Unless you find someone willing to reach for a quarterback, like we did a couple of years ago

MOtorboat
12-02-2017, 11:59 AM
The team that needs to be “reaching” for a top 5 quarterback right now is the Broncos.

Nomad
12-02-2017, 12:04 PM
The team that needs to be “reaching” for a top 5 quarterback right now is the Broncos.

Do we trust our FO to find one? 0-2 so far.....go for a proven veteran?. I'd take BPA in top 5. There isn't a QB in this draft a must-have in the top 5.

MOtorboat
12-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Do we trust our FO to find one? 0-2 so far.....go for a proven veteran?. I'd take BPA in top 5. There isn't a QB in this draft a must-have in the top 5.

I don’t really think past picks have much bearing on this pick. I just think with as gaping of a hole as they have at the position, it would be a waste to not draft a quarterback with a top five pick.

Nomad
12-02-2017, 12:43 PM
I don’t really think past picks have much bearing on this pick. I just think with as gaping of a hole as they have at the position, it would be a waste to not draft a quarterback with a top five pick.

Who would be your pick? Jake Browning in the top 5 is definitely reaching.

MOtorboat
12-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Who would be your pick? Jake Browning in the top 5 is definitely reaching.

Allen or Darnold.

I like Browning a lot, but I wouldn’t take him in that scenario.

Nomad
12-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Allen or Darnold.

I like Browning a lot, but I wouldn’t take him in that scenario.

I trust your opinion. I'd go with Allen. Wentz has proven a QB doesn't need to be in the 'big' conferences to be successful in today's NFL. Perhaps Darnold can break the 'unsuccessful' USC QB streak in the NFL.

dogfish
12-02-2017, 01:24 PM

i don't have any great degree of faith in them, no. . . i still hope they try, because i think it's the right thing to do. . . IMO, drew brees is the only one of the free agents that you'd have any chance of going to a super bowl with, and i don't think there's any chance at all that he leaves NO. . . to me, kirk cousins is maybe a top-15 QB in the league, at best. . . i don't think anybody's getting to a super bowl with him, and if we added that contract to von miller's, there's absolutely no way you're going to put a great team around them. . .

i just think going with a mid-tier at best vet is going to get us back into that no-man's land of winning 7-9 games each year. . . right where we were at the end of the shanny years, firmly mired in mediocrity-- not good enough to contend for anything serious, not bad enough to re-stock with quality draft picks. . . when you look at the QBS who play in the SB every year, most of them besides shady brady are top ten picks. . . as far as i'm concerned, if you honestly want to build that perennial contender, you almost have to find your QB in the draft. . . i know it's discouraging to swing and miss, but IMO, you have to keep swinging. . . i simply don't see another peyton manning walking through that door any time soon. . . personally, i'd rather strike out than try bunting when we're down by multiple scores. . . i'm fine if they bring in a tyrod taylor or case keenum as a transitional QB, but they better have a draft pick developing behind them-- those guys can only take you so far, and it's not where i want to go. . . JMO, obviously. . .

:defense:

The Glue Factory
12-02-2017, 01:46 PM
“Trading down” isn’t thinking outside the box.

I was responding to Nomad's comment about a top 5 pick being worthless due to anticipated lack of QB talent in 2018. I quoted him for a reason.

Nomad
12-02-2017, 02:01 PM
I was responding to Nomad's comment about a top 5 pick being worthless due to anticipated lack of QB talent in 2018. I quoted him for a reason.

Thanks for quoting me, I don't get that often. Who's your top 5 pick then? Who are the BRONCOS supposed to be losing and sucking for?

underrated29
12-02-2017, 05:55 PM
I mean, the way I look at it, the best 5 players in any draft are worth taking in the top 5. They're only rated against the other players available.

Do you mean it, davii?
Do you!

Davii
12-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Do you mean it, davii?
Do you!

I did! Not so sure now, all these posts about nobody being worth a top 5 has me unsure. Maybe the draft will start with the 6th pick this year.

Nomad
12-02-2017, 06:50 PM
I did! Not so sure now, all these posts about nobody being worth a top 5 has me unsure. Maybe the draft will start with the 6th pick this year.

No one wants to answer the question, perhaps you will, who are you wanting the BRONCOS to suck for in the top 5? Glue Factory is making me sound like I discount the top 5, which is BS, other than the QB position. No one can answer a must-have player to suck for, so why not win?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-02-2017, 10:38 PM
1h1 hour ago

Von Miller, playing in his 100th career regular-season game Sunday, already has 82 sacks to sit among some elite company ...

Hawgdriver
12-02-2017, 11:01 PM
No one wants to answer the question, perhaps you will, who are you wanting the BRONCOS to suck for in the top 5? Glue Factory is making me sound like I discount the top 5, which is BS, other than the QB position. No one can answer a must-have player to suck for, so why not win?

Rosen if his head is right.

Otherwise Darnold.

I'm open to Lamar, Barkley, and the guard from Notre Dame.

Hawgdriver
12-02-2017, 11:03 PM
I'd love to see a win, but a loss has more perceived upside now than week 1.

Davii
12-02-2017, 11:14 PM

I don't want them to suck for a top 5. I root for a win no matter what. If we can get a top 5, Darnold is my personal favorite