PDA

View Full Version : Practice / press conference notes - week 12 (Raiders week)

VonDoom
11-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Nothing official happening today, but it looks like Lynch will indeed get the start on Sunday:

Orange & Blue 760‏ @OrangeBlue760
35m35 minutes ago

Elway on Paxton Lynch: “I talk to Vance every single day, we’ll talk about that, but ultimately it’s gonna be Vance’s decision...if you look at where we are, I’d anticipate at some point in time we’ll see Paxton.”

Benjamin Allbright‏Verified account @AllbrightNFL
10m10 minutes ago

Just got a text from a team source stating Paxton Lynch has been named #Broncos starting QB.

Magnificent Seven
11-21-2017, 03:09 PM
I think Elway is trying to avoid 3 words "NFL Draft Bust." I think Paxton Lynch is a bust.

dogfish
11-21-2017, 03:13 PM
thank gawd. . . not that i have particularly high hopes, but it's at least time to find out. . .

Magnificent Seven
11-21-2017, 03:21 PM
I hope Paxton Lynch could fit in Bill Musgrave's offense.

Shazam!
11-21-2017, 04:23 PM
I think Elway is trying to avoid 3 words "NFL Draft Bust." I think Paxton Lynch is a bust.

After 2 games? That's it?

I'm thrilled to see what he can do so they know where to go next year with him.

VonDoom
11-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Well, we fired our OC this week and the Raiders apparently just fired their DC:

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
1m1 minute ago

Sources: The #Raiders have fired defensive coordinator Ken Norton, per @MikeSilver and me. Big change.

Josina Anderson‏Verified account @JosinaAnderson
now

Breaking: Source: The #Raiders are relieving Ken Norton of his defensive coordinator duties. John Pagano will take over.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Troy Renck Retweeted
Patrick Smyth‏Verified account @psmyth12
2h2 hours ago

Broncos GM John Elway to @OrangeBlue760 on his comments last week: "I was talking about everybody in the organization and the track record we have... I put myself first in line there... My job is not to be liked. My job is to win football games."

Troy Renck Retweeted
Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck
1h1 hour ago

#Broncos Paxton Lynch will start against Oakland. Denver winless on road and thrown 8 picks. Time to see what Lynch can do. #Denver7 http://bit.ly/2jcps4Z

Nicki Jhabvala Retweeted
Orange & Blue 760‏ @OrangeBlue760
3h3 hours ago

Elway on soft comments reaction from players: “I was talking about everybody in the organization, and the track record we’ve had...when you’ve had success sometimes you get soft. I’d put myself at the front...I knew before I said it that some guys were not gonna like that.”

Tned
11-21-2017, 05:29 PM

Ditto. Not sure how the sentiment soured so much on Lynch in one off season, considering he was always considered a multi year project.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-21-2017, 05:52 PM
Brandon Marshall took offense. Vance Joseph was initially taken aback. Von Miller was a bit, too.

John Elway‘s four-letter description of his team — that it got “soft” since the bye — struck a chord with players.

“I felt like if anybody has any type of pride about them, it should have struck a competitive chord,” Marshall said Monday. “I wasn’t taking shots at him. I think everybody said, ‘Oh, he’s taking shots at the GM.’ That’s just ridiculous. I’m a competitive guy and I have skin in the game. I’m out here running around busting my tail, so if somebody said that, it really makes me feel some type of way.”

Tuesday, in an interview with Orange and Blue 760 radio’s Dave Logan, Elway explained his thinking and why he falls under the label of “soft,” too.

“I think first of all if you think about the comment: No. 1 I was talking about everybody. … I wasn’t just talking about the football team and I wasn’t just talking about the coaches. I was talking about everybody in the organization and kind of the track record that we’ve had. And sometimes success will make you soft and you won’t pay attention to some of the details that you need to pay attention to. I put myself first in line there. … ‘Wait, I got to think about this and we’ve got to now put the hammer back down and get back to our winning ways.'”

Logan, a former NFL receiver, told Elway that if someone had called him soft, he would have had a similar reaction to Broncos players. He, too, would have been offended.

“Now, if someone took offense to that, I would understand that,” Elway continued. “And you know what? I would have welcomed a response that you just told me, that you would’ve gotten mad. That was the intent, that at some point in time we needed a little jolt and I knew before I said it that some guys weren’t going to like it. But my job is not to be liked. My job is to try to win football games. So therefore, I made that comment and hopefully we can get this thing going.”

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/21/john-elway-soft-comment/

slim
11-21-2017, 05:59 PM

I agree. The 7th round QB gets 1.5 years to show what he can do, but the 1st round QB only gets 2 games? Makes no sense to me.

Simple Jaded
11-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Well, we fired our OC this week and the Raiders apparently just fired their DC:

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
1m1 minute ago

Sources: The #Raiders have fired defensive coordinator Ken Norton, per @MikeSilver and me. Big change.

Josina Anderson‏Verified account @JosinaAnderson
now

Breaking: Source: The #Raiders are relieving Ken Norton of his defensive coordinator duties. John Pagano will take over.
Pagano is a legitimate DC, sucks.

VonDoom
11-21-2017, 06:54 PM
Pagano is a legitimate DC, sucks.

I’m sure they’ll have the game of their season against us this week

Simple Jaded
11-21-2017, 07:04 PM
I’m sure they’ll have the game of their season against us this week

Yup, Oakland was an ideal first game for PL cause they suck in pass defense.

Tned
11-21-2017, 07:16 PM
I agree. The 7th round QB gets 1.5 years to show what he can do, but the 1st round QB only gets 2 games? Makes no sense to me.

Fans can sometimes be emo and irrational. It's ridiculous how so many fans have labeled Lynch a bust after 2.5 games.

VonDoom
11-21-2017, 07:19 PM
Fans can sometimes be emo and irrationals. It's ridiculous how so many fans have labeled Lynch a bust after 2.5 games.

If he had improved at all from last year, he would have won the job in preseason. Too much talk of him not being mentally ready. I hope for the sake of the team that he’s good but has anyone seen evidence of this at any point since we drafted him?

VonDoom
11-21-2017, 07:20 PM
Siemian to be the backup on Sunday, FWIW

Tned
11-21-2017, 07:22 PM
If he had improved at all from last year, he would have won the job in preseason. Too much talk of him not being mentally ready. I hope for the sake of the team that he’s good but has anyone seen evidence of this at any point since we drafted him?

He was always a 2-3 year project, and Siemian had a year of starting under his belt, so no, it's not a given that any improvement meant he would beat out Siemian.

Tned
11-21-2017, 07:24 PM

I was figuring that move might follow, since it makes sense to have Lynch and Siemian active, since if Lynch does ok between now and the end of the year, they will likely go into camp as starter/backup with Kelly battling for the 3rd QB spot.

Simple Jaded
11-21-2017, 07:47 PM

He wasn’t mentally ready, probably still isn’t.

dogfish
11-21-2017, 08:05 PM

probably never will be. . . :coffee:

HORSEPOWER 56
11-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Yup, Oakland was an ideal first game for PL cause they suck in pass defense.

Except that their best pass rusher lines up over the RT. Be prepared for Mack to stake his claim for DPOY after this week. It’s gonna be like Claiborne did to the Cowboys. I predict Mack gets at least 3 sacks.

Tned
11-21-2017, 08:11 PM
probably never will be. . . :coffee:

Don't pull any of that damn mountain boy coffee drinking shit here.

You guys are selling Lynch short.

dogfish
11-21-2017, 08:43 PM

how do you sell a 6'8" guy short?

Tned
11-21-2017, 09:02 PM
how do you sell a 6'8" guy short?

From a high horse or pedestal??? :confused:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-21-2017, 09:15 PM

Ted Gregory

Nomad
11-21-2017, 09:20 PM
No more whining for Lynch to start now.

There will be a Raiders ass kicking by the BRONCOS this Sunday....look forward to it.

Davii
11-21-2017, 10:35 PM
Except that their best pass rusher lines up over the RT. Be prepared for Mack to stake his claim for DPOY after this week. It’s gonna be like Claiborne did to the Cowboys. I predict Mack gets at least 3 sacks.

Our offensive coordinator knows Mack VERY well, and is the guy that put in extra OL to mitigate Von and help their run game. I doubt we see 3 WR sets this weekend much either.

Simple Jaded
11-21-2017, 10:47 PM

Well yeah, when you put it like that it sounds bad.

topscribe
11-21-2017, 10:48 PM
Paxton has had all of 2½ games under his belt. Sure you're not jumping the gun?

topscribe
11-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Kind of an indicator of Osweiler's ultimate fate as a Bronco?

Magnificent Seven
11-22-2017, 01:21 AM
I think Broncos will win over Oakland this Sunday. Bill Musgrave should know raiders defense's weak and strength. He was raiders' offense coordinator last year.

Raiders' defensive coordinator Norton was fired. Their new coordinator will screw raiders defense up. :D

slim
11-22-2017, 07:04 AM
Ted Gregory

lol.

Oops...

Freyaka
11-22-2017, 09:58 AM

Shhh...don't mention any of that. People want to hide their heads in the sand and assume Paxton's going to be amazing.

And I guess I'll leave my two doubloons out of it and leave them to be excited about the fact that the team is getting it's pirate on, arrr!!

Hopefully he proves us silly irrational emo doubters wrong, but when he doesn't hopefully that will be the end of it and we can stop this nonsense of giving him more time next year. If he can't prove he deserves it in the remaining games, we need to take full advantage of our high draft pick and draft a contender.

*Edit* To clarify though, I'm not saying if he doesn't show enough by years end cut him, just draft a QB with what will hopefully be a top five pick because this is a great draft class. It would suck pinning our hopes on him figuring it out next year and have to endure another season like this. Especially considering as of right now, next years QB class doesn't look nearly as nice.

Freyaka
11-22-2017, 09:59 AM

I think we'd be happy to sell him at any price...

Rick
11-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Shhh...don't mention any of that. People want to hide their heads in the sand and assume Paxton's going to be amazing.

And I guess I'll leave my two doubloons out of it and leave them to be excited about the fact that the team is getting it's pirate on, arrr!!

Hopefully he proves us silly irrational emo doubters wrong, but when he doesn't hopefully that will be the end of it and we can stop this nonsense of giving him more time next year. If he can't prove he deserves it in the remaining games, we need to take full advantage of our high draft pick and draft a contender.

*Edit* To clarify though, I'm not saying if he doesn't show enough by years end cut him, just draft a QB with what will hopefully be a top five pick because this is a great draft class. It would suck pinning our hopes on him figuring it out next year and have to endure another season like this. Especially considering as of right now, next years QB class doesn't look nearly as nice.

You are lumping a lot of people into this.

Exactly ONE poster has claimed PL will be amazing.

The rest of us are rational and want him to play and HOPE there is SOMETHING that materializes so that we don't have to spend ANOTHER first round pick on a QB, but we are not assuming he will be great, we are HOPING. There is a difference.

Nomad
11-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Beat them Raiders, Paxton. TIA

Freyaka
11-22-2017, 10:27 AM

The rest of us are rational and want him to play and HOPE there is SOMETHING that materializes so that we don't have to spend ANOTHER first round pick on a QB, but we are not assuming he will be great, we are HOPING. There is a difference.

It's 99% sarcasm in response to Tneds response about "irrational emo's." My apologies if anyone else got caught up in my derision.

I genuinely hope that Paxton does well (though not well enough to win, even if we aren't going QB, that high draft pick is key to rebuilding and we're out of the playoff picture) If we don't have to draft a QB, awesome. But I just have very little faith.

Everyone keeps saying "oh it's only been 2.5 games" It's a lot more than that. There have been countless reports regarding his work ethic, his lack of mental capacity for the game of football, ect... The evidence is there, we can employ wishful thinking, but there is a reason he hasn't managed to win the starting job.

Unless he makes some huge leap forward, he doesn't seem very promising at all.

Tned
11-22-2017, 10:37 AM

Exactly, and we recognize that you can't make a determination of bust after seeing 2.5 games, especially in a player that was never expected to be able to compete for the job as a rookie (when he played those 2.5 games) and even was considered a long-shot to be ready in his second year. Now that he's been with the team for a season and a half, now and next training camp is when we should start to see indications of whether he can or can't be a viable NFL starter.

If he looks as lost now as he did as a rookie, that will be concerning. However, we also have to recognize that due to his shoulder injury, he's been severely limited in terms of reps over the first 11 weeks of the season (plus the couple weeks at the end of preseason), and that will probably hurt his timing/accuracy.

Tned
11-22-2017, 10:44 AM
It's 99% sarcasm in response to Tneds response about "irrational emo's." My apologies if anyone else got caught up in my derision.

I genuinely hope that Paxton does well (though not well enough to win, even if we aren't going QB, that high draft pick is key to rebuilding and we're out of the playoff picture) If we don't have to draft a QB, awesome. But I just have very little faith.

Everyone keeps saying "oh it's only been 2.5 games" It's a lot more than that. There have been countless reports regarding his work ethic, his lack of mental capacity for the game of football, ect... The evidence is there, we can employ wishful thinking, but there is a reason he hasn't managed to win the starting job.

Unless he makes some huge leap forward, he doesn't seem very promising at all.

Yes, a very good reason, he was a 2-3 year project that came out of a spread offense where they called plays in from the sideline.

Freyaka
11-22-2017, 10:49 AM
Yes, a very good reason, he was a 2-3 year project that came out of a spread offense where they called plays in from the sideline.

Eventually you have to stop clinging to the "2-3 year project" and start calling a spade a spade.

We'll see what we have Sunday.

I'm all for him starting the rest of the year. But I would hope by that point if he still hasn't shown anything more than we've seen so far we can wash our hands of this.

If we give him another year next year, this team is going to be a hot mess in 2018 just like it was this year.

He needs to either step his ass up and QB this football team, or we need to sign, trade or draft someone who will. I don't have have a lot of patience for this crap.

We've basically suffered through 3 years of terrible QB'ing. Yes we won the Superbowl one of those three years, but enough is enough. I made excuses for and pinned my hopes on Trevor, I'm not going to do the same thing again for another year with Paxton. He's either got it or he doesn't. Finish the year out and figure out which one it is.

Rick
11-22-2017, 10:53 AM
Eventually you have to stop clinging to the "2-3 year project" and start calling a spade a spade.

I'm all for him starting the rest of the year. But I would hope by that point if he still hasn't shown anything more than we've seen so far we can wash our hands of this.

If we give him another year next year, this team is going to be a hot mess in 2018 just like it was this year.

He needs to either step his ass up and QB this football team, or we need to sign, trade or draft someone who will. I don't have have a lot of patience for this crap.

Remember it took 16 games for Goff to not look like a possible bust.

What we need to look for is improvement, we may not see what is needed to be seen for a few weeks as he gets more live action.

Freyaka
11-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Remember it took 16 games for Goff to not look like a possible bust.

What we need to look for is improvement, we may not see what is needed to be seen for a few weeks as he gets more live action.

If we see signs of improvement (and not small improvement like signs he's actually capable of grasping an NFL offense) I'm fine with him sticking around, but if he continues to look like a lost puppy out there...I don't really want to throw another season away based on what some other QB was able to accomplish.

There has to be signs of growth and development there.

Rick
11-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Agreed. We probably will be top 5 in the draft, if he doesn't show enough we will probably need to take a QB as this will be the best opportunity to do so.

arapaho2
11-22-2017, 11:03 AM

that's usually what happens to qbs deemed a 2-3 year project...right?

all I know is pax has as much raw physical talent as any qb in the game...now if the coaches can get his head screwed on right and he starts to see the field ...we may have something

arapaho2
11-22-2017, 11:10 AM

your basing that on the assumption Musgrave doesn't slide help over to the RT I guess, since kubiak and McCoy never would

I recall what he did to von last year, do you?, as I recall the first series von sacked carr, and Musgrave put in six olinement to eliminate von

Freyaka
11-22-2017, 11:10 AM
Agreed. We probably will be top 5 in the draft, if he doesn't show enough we will probably need to take a QB as this will be the best opportunity to do so.

That's kind of the biggest reason for my impatience here. We're likely going to own a high draft pick and have our choice of a top QB and this is one of the best QB classes in the last decade or so (Since the QB class with big ben, eli, rivers, ect...) If we're going to snag one this is probably going to be the best chance of snagging a franchise QB.

If Paxton grows and shows enough to assume he can be the guy, then we can use that pick on a DE or trade back and gain a lot of ammo to fix the line, if not, it's very important we get a QB this year and not wait through another year of Paxton.

Like I said, I'm all for him starting the rest of the year, this season is done, we need to know what he's got so we can make a definitive choice.

Freyaka
11-22-2017, 11:11 AM
your basing that on the assumption Musgrave doesn't slide help over to the RT I guess, since kubiak and McCoy never would

I recall what he did to von last year, do you?, as I recall the first series von sacked carr, and Musgrave put in six olinement to eliminate von

Musgrave knows that defense, that's a benefit to us. Hopefully he makes better adjustments than McCoy has been shown to do so far.

Freyaka
11-22-2017, 11:19 AM
that's usually what happens to qbs deemed a 2-3 year project...right?

To play devils advocate here though. How many QB's deemed 2-3 year projects can you name that have ever made it as a QB with their original team? How many of them were drafted with a first round pick.

A QB who isn't ready, and may or may not ever be ready, it amazes me that he managed to be a first round draft pick.

BroncoJoe
11-22-2017, 11:21 AM
That's kind of the biggest reason for my impatience here. We're likely going to own a high draft pick and have our choice of a top QB and this is one of the best QB classes in the last decade or so (Since the QB class with big ben, eli, rivers, ect...) If we're going to snag one this is probably going to be the best chance of snagging a franchise QB.

If Paxton grows and shows enough to assume he can be the guy, then we can use that pick on a DE or trade back and gain a lot of ammo to fix the line, if not, it's very important we get a QB this year and not wait through another year of Paxton.

Like I said, I'm all for him starting the rest of the year, this season is done, we need to know what he's got so we can make a definitive choice.

You've said this a few times, and I've never really seen any reports like that. In fact, I've seen the opposite (that this isn't a very good draft for QB's).

Is this your opinion, or is there an article or something you can point me to? I'm not doubting you, as I don't really follow college football outside of Colorado, and it's somewhat contrary to what I've read.

Nomad
11-22-2017, 11:25 AM
You've said this a few times, and I've never really seen any reports like that. In fact, I've seen the opposite (that this isn't a very good draft for QB's).

Is this your opinion, or is there an article or something you can point me to? I'm not doubting you, as I don't really follow college football outside of Colorado, and it's somewhat contrary to what I've read.

MO knows.

BroncoJoe
11-22-2017, 11:29 AM
MO knows.

Well, where the hell is he? I need answers!

Freyaka
11-22-2017, 11:32 AM

It's partially my opinion, as for reports, it depends on who you are listening to some praise it, some don't. There are about 6 QB's projected to go in the top 20 this year. It's not a deep draft, but those 6 QBs are in my opinion really good prospects. Time will tell if it's really as good as it seems, but I like a lot of the guys projected to go in the first round this year.

You've got Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Falk, Rudolph, Mayfield and Jackson all likely to go early. With that many solid prospects, and the possibility of a top 5 or better pick, it's a good year to draft. That's my opinion I don't claim to be an infallible football genius (I have been wrong more than i've been right this season sadly) but I just really like this draft.

Tned
11-22-2017, 12:03 PM

Agreed, maybe after say 2 or 3 years? Wouldn't you think that if you have a 2-3 year project, that calling him a bust after one season is a little silly?

We've basically suffered through 3 years of terrible QB'ing. Yes we won the Superbowl one of those three years, but enough is enough. I made excuses for and pinned my hopes on Trevor, I'm not going to do the same thing again for another year with Paxton. He's either got it or he doesn't. Finish the year out and figure out which one it is.

As I said earlier in this thread or another, while we could see a rocky start since he's had very limited reps over the last 13 weeks or so, if he starts the rest of the year, then between that and the offseason/training camp, we will be in a very good position to know whether he's boom or bust.

From the front office perspective, they need to see enough between now and the end of the year to decide if they need to get another QB in the offseason.

All of that doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculous to call him a bust after 2.5 games of playing time.

Tned
11-22-2017, 12:04 PM
To play devils advocate here though. How many QB's deemed 2-3 year projects can you name that have ever made it as a QB with their original team? How many of them were drafted with a first round pick.

A QB who isn't ready, and may or may not ever be ready, it amazes me that he managed to be a first round draft pick.

How many QBs drafted in the first round ever make it with their original team? That's a good starting point, because you know it's going to be a subset of that.

Tned
11-22-2017, 12:05 PM

Unless things change dramatically this college season, everything I've read is that this is one of the weakest QB classes (certainly at the top, in terms of can't miss prospects) in the last decade or longer.

Slick
11-22-2017, 12:23 PM
If Denver winds up in the top 5 they certainly draft a QB. If they're not in the top 5 it means Lynch played much better than we all thought. Starting him at this point is a no brainer.

LawDog
11-22-2017, 12:27 PM
If Denver winds up in the top 5 they certainly draft a QB. If they're not in the top 5 it means Lynch played much better than we all thought. Starting him at this point is a no brainer.

With a top 5 pick I'd rather see them swap firsts and throw in a 2nd to trade for a quality vet QB with a good 5-6 years left in the tank. Now, I have no idea which QB that would be or which team would make that trade, it's just the scenario I would prefer.

Slick
11-22-2017, 12:28 PM
With a top 5 pick I'd rather see them swap firsts and throw in a 2nd to trade for a quality vet QB with a good 5-6 years left in the tank. Now, I have no idea which QB that would be or which team would make that trade, it's just the scenario I would prefer.

I might agree if I knew which QB Denver ends up with.

VonDoom
11-22-2017, 12:30 PM
Unless things change dramatically this college season, everything I've read is that this is one of the weakest QB classes (certainly at the top, in terms of can't miss prospects) in the last decade or longer.

Before the season, this was considered one of the best QB classes. Now that they’ve played, some of the shine is off

VonDoom
11-22-2017, 12:30 PM
TV maps are up

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=12

LawDog
11-22-2017, 12:32 PM

It would have to be a team that has a young back up that is ready to take the reins, and has some glaring need to pick up a top draftee at some other position. I would say Brees, but he's too old and wouldn't leave NO, and I don't know who their back up is. Somebody in the Stafford neighborhood in terms of talent and time left on the clock.

Nomad
11-22-2017, 12:33 PM
TV maps are up

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=12

Boooo!

Freyaka
11-22-2017, 12:36 PM
It would have to be a team that has a young back up that is ready to take the reins, and has some glaring need to pick up a top draftee at some other position. I would say Brees, but he's too old and wouldn't leave NO, and I don't know who their back up is. Somebody in the Stafford neighborhood in terms of talent and time left on the clock.

Alex Smith? Before this year, I'd have laughed at suggesting it, but...

Rick
11-22-2017, 12:41 PM
More likely than Smith to me still is if they need to draft a guy, they still take the guy top 5 and sign Bradford to compete who would be the equivalent to someone like Smith without having to give up a pick. Or possibly sign Taylor if cut.

VonDoom
11-22-2017, 01:18 PM
More likely than Smith to me still is if they need to draft a guy, they still take the guy top 5 and sign Bradford to compete who would be the equivalent to someone like Smith without having to give up a pick. Or possibly sign Taylor if cut.

I’d sign a FA (maybe Taylor) and use our first rounder on a QB.

Spiritguy
11-22-2017, 01:20 PM
He was always a 2-3 year project, and Siemian had a year of starting under his belt, so no, it's not a given that any improvement meant he would beat out Siemian. Then add that his second year is a whole new system. Don't think they planned on that when they anticipated 2-3 years for him to get a handle on the PRO system vs the crap his college did. Will he be good? who the heck knows, but at least give him the time to LEARN what other QB's learned during college.

dogfish
11-22-2017, 01:23 PM

if we're signing a vikes QB, i'll take keenum over broke-down sam. . .

Rick
11-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Broke down Sam might be the best available. And keep in mind, if Elway drafts a guy top 5 he isn't wanting to sign a guy who will command a long contract, he will want a vet for a year or 2.

Freyaka
11-22-2017, 03:22 PM
Then add that his second year is a whole new system. Don't think they planned on that when they anticipated 2-3 years for him to get a handle on the PRO system vs the crap his college did. Will he be good? who the heck knows, but at least give him the time to LEARN what other QB's learned during college.

So what? We basically just suck for 2-3 more years since it's a new system and hope he gets it?

That's a hard pass for me.

tripp
11-22-2017, 03:34 PM
Alex Smith? Before this year, I'd have laughed at suggesting it, but...

Call me crazy, but I'd offer SD something for Philip Rivers.

dogfish
11-22-2017, 04:53 PM

they're starting to play well. . . no chance they deal their QB to a division rival. . .

Davii
11-22-2017, 07:48 PM

Call me crazier id offer Indy something for Luck.

Rivers would retire before he'd move.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Boooo!

No shit, right? WTF is going on that CBS is showing an exclusively NFC game (with their top crew calling it) instead of the Broncos or any AFC team? CBS is supposed to cover the AFC and Fox the NFC. What gives?

Simple Jaded
11-22-2017, 10:12 PM
if we're signing a vikes QB, i'll take keenum over broke-down sam. . .

No.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-22-2017, 10:52 PM
No.

Sloter

dogfish
11-22-2017, 11:42 PM
No.

yes. . .

QB on the field >> QB on the bench

#It'sScience

Simple Jaded
11-22-2017, 11:52 PM
yes. . .

QB on the field >> QB on the bench

#It'sScience

Not if that coach on the field has a weaker arm than my mom.

VonDoom
11-23-2017, 07:46 AM
No shit, right? WTF is going on that CBS is showing an exclusively NFC game (with their top crew calling it) instead of the Broncos or any AFC team? CBS is supposed to cover the AFC and Fox the NFC. What gives?

There’s been a lot of cross flexing this year. Plus let’s face it - Saints / Rams is a much more compelling game than ours to most people

Nomad
11-23-2017, 09:52 AM
There’s been a lot of cross flexing this year. Plus let’s face it - Saints / Rams is a much more compelling game than ours to most people

This is another turn off of the NFL, besides other factors. I liked that CBS was solely AFC games, regardless if the AFC is a little weak this year, plus this is a division rivalry game. I'll tune in to Redzone channel to follow the game, before I sit and watch a Saints/Rams game. I get the 'quality aspect', but the NFL is losing fans who watch football just watch football. Yeah, I get there is Sunday Ticket, but again, not feasible for where I live.

Tned
11-23-2017, 10:56 AM

I'm not sure there are a lot like that. Alex Smith, but not sure division rivals would do that. It would take a team with a vet QB with a young QB waiting in the wings they really like, or a team that's so awful that even with a good starting QB they don't think they can win for years, so will trade him to draft a young Q.

I can't remember too many trades of good QBs in this league. Rarely does a team trade their starting QB (obviously Broncos with Cutler was an exception, and they got Orton in return) and certainly not a good one.

Tned
11-23-2017, 11:03 AM

Considering the league and networks are really feeling the pain of a year and a half of ratings decline, they are probably doing anything they can to get ratings back up, as it's starting to hurt with ad revenue.

Tned
11-23-2017, 12:02 PM
https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/933742275489755136

LawDog
11-23-2017, 12:05 PM

Playoffs!

Slick
11-23-2017, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure there are a lot like that. Alex Smith, but not sure division rivals would do that. It would take a team with a vet QB with a young QB waiting in the wings they really like, or a team that's so awful that even with a good starting QB they don't think they can win for years, so will trade him to draft a young Q.

I can't remember too many trades of good QBs in this league. Rarely does a team trade their starting QB (obviously Broncos with Cutler was an exception, and they got Orton in return) and certainly not a good one.

Right. I didn't have the heart to say LawDog's scenario was about as likely as me winning the lottery.

dogfish
11-23-2017, 01:00 PM
Not if that coach on the field has a weaker arm than my mom.

can she throw the slant with zip? sign her up. . .

LawDog
11-23-2017, 01:19 PM
Right. I didn't have the heart to say LawDog's scenario was about as likely as me winning the lottery.

That’s kinda the nature of being a fan, hope and pray for the unlikely.

Tned
11-23-2017, 01:39 PM

I'm still buying lottery tickets, I could be that one in 290 million

Slick
11-23-2017, 01:42 PM
upPCQLMl0Zo

Simple Jaded
11-23-2017, 02:08 PM
can she throw the slant with zip? sign her up. . .

Yeah but she’s a total Ass hole, imagine me but 25 years older.

Simple Jaded
11-23-2017, 02:09 PM

Should pick up Jalen Collins.

Tned
11-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Yeah but she’s a total Ass hole, imagine me but 25 years older.

No words. No words. :frightening:

VonDoom
11-23-2017, 09:23 PM
Sounds like we enjoyed our Thanksgiving practice:

https://twitter.com/dailybroncos/status/933803825462255617

slim
11-23-2017, 10:06 PM
These men need a leader.

slim
11-23-2017, 10:11 PM
So Harris kicked McKenzies ass and he cried?

Oh Lord. That is fantastic.

slim
11-23-2017, 10:15 PM
Except for all the internal fighting and crying, we had a great week of practice.

Hawgdriver
11-23-2017, 10:16 PM
Except for all the internal fighting and crying, we had a great week of practice.

I wonder which Broncos team Sandy thinks is worse than this one.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-23-2017, 10:17 PM
“Since you can’t catch the damn ball why don’t you catch my damn fist!?”

slim
11-23-2017, 10:18 PM

It had to be one from the 60s. I thought 2010 was as bad as it could get. I was wrong.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-23-2017, 10:20 PM

4-12 was pretty bad. This year is worst because we have more talent than that team did.

I’m concerned Miller might be on the decline before this gets fixed. I think we should blow it up and start over.

slim
11-23-2017, 10:21 PM

If all of this is true, VJ should be fired. Now, not next week.

Davii
11-23-2017, 10:25 PM
4-12 was pretty bad. This year is worst because we have more talent than that team did.

I’m concerned Miller might be on the decline before this gets fixed. I think we should blow it up and start over.

I'll withhold judgement on which was worse. At least this team, as far as we know right now, isn't cheating and STILL losing. That was the only time I haven't been proud of the franchise, seeing that smarmy douche-hammer drive off in shame made it more palatable.

Tned
11-23-2017, 10:37 PM
And CJ debating with fans the difficulty of fielding punts and why they should give McKenzie a break.

This is a strange season.

Tned
11-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Slim, as to the "if true..." This was Renck being asked if what was listed in that tweet actually happened.

https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/933871891596550144

slim
11-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Slim, as to the "if true..." This was Renck being asked if what was listed in that tweet actually happened.

https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/933871891596550144

I wonder what Talib and 7 were discussing? Maybe how not to shoot yourself?

Davii
11-23-2017, 10:42 PM

https://twitter.com/USMCDavii/status/933900080515608576

Hawgdriver
11-23-2017, 10:49 PM
No shit Davii.

slim
11-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Hahahaha.

That is awesome

underrated29
11-23-2017, 11:08 PM
I like McKenzie.
I don’t see why vj should be fired because this stuff happened.
Blowing up the team makes no sense. We just need a qb.

slim
11-23-2017, 11:32 PM
I like McKenzie.

Shut up

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-23-2017, 11:33 PM
I like McKenzie.

And a mlb, and a RT.

I know “blowing it up” is over kill. I’m just frustrated. Nevertheless, Von will be 30 soon. Talib is 30. We are an interior rusher, mlb, a qb, and a RT away from being playoff quality. I don’t know that is attainable in one offseason unless Elway pulls off another coup for a qb. And I’m not talking about elite players, but just players who are at least good enough to start on other teams.

Hawgdriver
11-23-2017, 11:33 PM
I like McKenzie.

And Jamaal Charles ...

Timmy!
11-24-2017, 12:33 AM
And Jamaal Charles ...

UR owes us all a liter of whiskey.

underrated29
11-24-2017, 01:29 AM
UR owes us all a liter of whiskey.

Hell no.
He’s doing great for us! Not my fault McCoy runs him 4 times a game. He’s been our best rb every time he’s played

underrated29
11-24-2017, 01:31 AM
And a mlb, and a RT.

I know “blowing it up” is over kill. I’m just frustrated. Nevertheless, Von will be 30 soon. Talib is 30. We are an interior rusher, mlb, a qb, and a RT away from being playoff quality. I don’t know that is attainable in one offseason unless Elway pulls off another coup for a qb. And I’m not talking about elite players, but just players who are at least good enough to start on other teams.

Just qb and we are playoff.
A good rt and we are a deep run playoff team.
A mlb and pass rusher and we are a contender.

That’s 4 players. It’s attainable

Timmy!
11-24-2017, 01:35 AM
Hell no.
He’s doing great for us! Not my fault McCoy runs him 4 times a game. He’s been our best rb every time he’s played

281 yards, 1td, 1 td for the other team. "Great"

At least pay buff.

MOtorboat
11-24-2017, 01:57 AM
281 yards, 1td, 1 td for the other team. "Great"

At least pay buff.

*2TD for the opponent. His fumble allowed the fourth quarter near comeback in the opener for San Diego. Next play, TD.

Charles hasn't even been close to good, let alone "great."

Timmy!
11-24-2017, 02:00 AM
*2TD for the opponent. His fumble allowed the fourth quarter near comeback in the opener for San Diego. Next play, TD.

I was gonna let that one slide and then throw it in URs face when he told us how he's averaging an unprecedented 4.3 yards a carry.

MOtorboat
11-24-2017, 02:01 AM
I was gonna let that one slide and then throw it in URs face when he told us how he's averaging an unprecedented 4.3 yards a carry.

Nah. No need to wait when the word "great" is thrown around.

topscribe
11-24-2017, 11:07 AM

Actually, I don't think Charles has had enough reps to determine anything in that regard.
That's one thing I have against the erstwhile coaching staff.

Freyaka
11-24-2017, 11:19 AM

So I would assume that means we didn't have a good week in practice? VJ's gonna be PISSED.

Nomad
11-24-2017, 11:20 AM
I guess VJ has completely lost this team. It's hard not to get on the 'get rid of him' bandwagon.

Cugel
11-24-2017, 01:47 PM
And a mlb, and a RT.

The reason the Broncos are in this pathetic position of going 4-12 is because they refused to face reality. They lost Peyton Manning, DeMarcus Ware, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, TJ Ward and Wade Phillips off their SB defense and offense. NONE of the players or coaches who have replaced them are as good as their SB winning counterparts.

And the 2015 Broncos offense had already lost Wes Welker, Julius Thomas and Knowshon Moreno, and not replaced THEIR production with anything remotely as good. It hasn't improved from there.

The Broncos are a REBUILDING team, as in 'Teams that go 4-12 rebuild from scratch with a new QB and often a new head coach."

They cannot go out in FA, get Kirk Cousins, sign a FA RT, and then say "we're good to go! SB here we come!"

They are about 10 pieces away right now:

1. Elite caliber top 10 Franchise QB. No more B.S. about somehow getting by with a running game, and a mediocre QB because you have "an elite defense." The defense isn't elite any more and next season they will be without Aqib Talib and his $12M salary so it's not getting BETTER in the off season!

This means getting one of the top 3 QBs in the draft and turning that QB into a long-term franchise player. Like what they tried to do with Paxton and failed.

2. TE who is a mismatch in the red zone like Julius Thomas used to be. Maybe Jake Butt, but he's a rookie so it might take a couple of years.

3. Slot WR, since nobody ever replaced the production of Wes Welker.

4. RB, Charles and CJ won't be back Booker is totally mediocre. They need a couple of new RBs with some talent. Perhaps Carlos Henderson will eventually do something.

5. RT of course since Watson won't be back and should be driven out if he tried.

6. RG. Move Ronald Leary who is by far your best OL back to his natural position of LEFT Guard. You paid him the big $ to be LEFT guard, but because Max Garcia didn't want/couldn't play on the right side, Leary volunteered to move to the right where he has never played, to help out the team.

This is not ideal. Max Garcia is NOT going to be starting for you at LG next year or god help us! They can't go on with this crappy OL year in and year out. So, they need a RG to go with their new RT.

Or if they insist on keeping Leary at RG because reasons, then fine, go out and get a LG not named "Max Garcia." Or any of the other stiffs on this terrible roster.

7 & 8. ILB - someone who can cover TEs and RBs over the middle. No Broncos ILB can cover since Danny Trevathan. So, they need two new starters there. One does not get the impression that Brandon Marshall wants to be back the way he keeps tweeting out.

9. CB - Since they will be dumping Talib's $12m salary, moving Chris Harris and Bradly Roby into the top 2 slots, they will need a new #3 CB.

10. Kicker. Why pay for elite talent when you don't have elite talent?

Simple Jaded
11-24-2017, 08:07 PM
1) Good luck with that but Manning, Smith and a 1st round pick are better options than making a Top15 QB the highest paid player in NFL History. We’ll see what happens with Lynch. Btw I’m really not interested in your assessment of PL, so save the bandwidth. Either way, unless Luck really is tradable, the Broncos almost certainly will have to make due with less than Elite.

2) I get the feeling they’re counting on Butt but he’s not a mismatch TE so you might be waiting a while here. However, if all you’re looking for is a mismatch those are available 24/7 in the yellow pages, cause if you’re willing to put up with JT’s indifference to football the streets are littered with athletic 6-2/222 TE’s that can’t block.

3) This could (and maybe should) be solved by getting an outside receiver and moving ES to Slot. However, again I get the impression that they feel they’ve solved this with the other Henderson. They’ve got shit depth so it needs to be addressed in more way than one but there are solutions out there; I like John Brown on a one-year-prove-it deal, trading for Martavis Bryant, drafting DJ Chark. There is Plenty of answers every year so their failure here is amusing.

4) The only one I wouldn’t bring back is CJ because of money but RB’s are the least of their issues. I don’t see either CJ or Charles back though I hope I’m wrong about Charles. You don’t need David Johnson to be dynamic on offense, but with any level of QB play it doesn’t hurt though and I would jump all over Saquan if Lynch shows he can be an answer.

5 & 6) Solutions needed in FA, trade and Draft here. Although there’s talk of Solder retiring there’s also talk of him being intrigued with finishing his career with hometown Broncos. Cordy Glenn was reportedly available for trade at the deadline and perhaps the asking price would be lower if he’s available in offseason. I love this dude, he’s an option and LT, RT and G, the bonuses have been paid, which would seemingly interests a team with cash flow limitations. Nothing less than 1st and 2nd round prospects should be considered as starters, enough is enough, it’s a better OL class than last year (Which isn’t saying much) when there was no less than 5 Day One starters drafted in top 2 rounds. This has been the biggest issue 4 years and counting.

7 & 8) For one thing, cap ramifications will determine whether or not Marshall is back, not him. Secondly, the Broncos seemingly don’t value this position. However, let’s not pretend this means it’s impossible to stock this depth chart year after year, these players exist ... they just don’t exist on Denver’s roster.

9) This one is baffling, should they decide to add to their growing mountain of personnel blunders and dump Talib they get what they deserve. Replacing someone like Talib takes a Top 10 pick or a free agency homerun, and let’s be honest, FA Homer’s are no longer a thing with Elway.

10) Let’s see how McManus finishes before we count this as an immediate need, however, there’s a couple of highly regarded college PK’s and P’s if McManus’ contract isn’t another cap ramification issue. JK Scott should be replacing Ginger P regardless.

My point is, you make it sound like they’re 4 years from getting back in this, they’re not. Aside from QB, OL and CB you’re overthinking this. However, you did leave pass rush off the list, this defense needs an interior pass rusher and another OLB. But there’s options there too, Sheldon Richardson fits a 3-4 better, Ziggy Ansah is also looking at one-year-prove-it deals and top end of 1st and 2nd round.

It doesn’t take Executive of the Year to find solutions but it takes skills Elway no longer displays to pull it off. But, let’s not pretend it’s a monumental task.

Simple Jaded
11-24-2017, 08:25 PM
If Lynch somehow shows something (in an NFL QB capacity) I would trade 2nd and 3rd-to-5th round picks for Glenn and David Irving, respectively, draft Quinten Nelson and never stop Talibing.

If Solder becomes a viable option I take Saquan.

If Lynch flops (we need either/or) I plan on Drafting QB top of round 1 and fill other needs thru FA and trades.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-25-2017, 03:04 AM
1) Good luck with that but Manning, Smith and a 1st round pick are better options than making a Top15 QB the highest paid player in NFL History. We’ll see what happens with Lynch. Btw I’m really not interested in your assessment of PL, so save the bandwidth. Either way, unless Luck really is tradable, the Broncos almost certainly will have to make due with less than Elite.

2) I get the feeling they’re counting on Butt but he’s not a mismatch TE so you might be waiting a while here. However, if all you’re looking for is a mismatch those are available 24/7 in the yellow pages, cause if you’re willing to put up with JT’s indifference to football the streets are littered with athletic 6-2/222 TE’s that can’t block.

3) This could (and maybe should) be solved by getting an outside receiver and moving ES to Slot. However, again I get the impression that they feel they’ve solved this with the other Henderson. They’ve got shit depth so it needs to be addressed in more way than one but there are solutions out there; I like John Brown on a one-year-prove-it deal, trading for Martavis Bryant, drafting DJ Chark. There is Plenty of answers every year so their failure here is amusing.

4) The only one I wouldn’t bring back is CJ because of money but RB’s are the least of their issues. I don’t see either CJ or Charles back though I hope I’m wrong about Charles. You don’t need David Johnson to be dynamic on offense, but with any level of QB play it doesn’t hurt though and I would jump all over Saquan if Lynch shows he can be an answer.

5 & 6) Solutions needed in FA, trade and Draft here. Although there’s talk of Solder retiring there’s also talk of him being intrigued with finishing his career with hometown Broncos. Cordy Glenn was reportedly available for trade at the deadline and perhaps the asking price would be lower if he’s available in offseason. I love this dude, he’s an option and LT, RT and G, the bonuses have been paid, which would seemingly interests a team with cash flow limitations. Nothing less than 1st and 2nd round prospects should be considered as starters, enough is enough, it’s a better OL class than last year (Which isn’t saying much) when there was no less than 5 Day One starters drafted in top 2 rounds. This has been the biggest issue 4 years and counting.

7 & 8) For one thing, cap ramifications will determine whether or not Marshall is back, not him. Secondly, the Broncos seemingly don’t value this position. However, let’s not pretend this means it’s impossible to stock this depth chart year after year, these players exist ... they just don’t exist on Denver’s roster.

9) This one is baffling, should they decide to add to their growing mountain of personnel blunders and dump Talib they get what they deserve. Replacing someone like Talib takes a Top 10 pick or a free agency homerun, and let’s be honest, FA Homer’s are no longer a thing with Elway.

10) Let’s see how McManus finishes before we count this as an immediate need, however, there’s a couple of highly regarded college PK’s and P’s if McManus’ contract isn’t another cap ramification issue. JK Scott should be replacing Ginger P regardless.

My point is, you make it sound like they’re 4 years from getting back in this, they’re not. Aside from QB, OL and CB you’re overthinking this. However, you did leave pass rush off the list, this defense needs an interior pass rusher and another OLB. But there’s options there too, Sheldon Richardson fits a 3-4 better, Ziggy Ansah is also looking at one-year-prove-it deals and top end of 1st and 2nd round.

It doesn’t take Executive of the Year to find solutions but it takes skills Elway no longer displays to pull it off. But, let’s not pretend it’s a monumental task.

Leary was a home run.

topscribe
11-25-2017, 12:31 PM
Leary was a home run.
As was Domata Peko . .

Rick
11-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Peko was more than a home run, he was kind of a grand slam considering the low price they had to pay.

VonDoom
11-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Jaded will be happy to know that we again signed Kyle Peko to the active roster

Simple Jaded
11-26-2017, 05:28 AM
Domata Peko was more like a double, I’d give him a triple but he gets dinged for being Kyle’s cousin.

VonDoom
11-26-2017, 10:51 PM
https://twitter.com/lorenzo_doss/status/934883449877430272

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-26-2017, 10:55 PM
https://twitter.com/lorenzo_doss/status/934883449877430272

What? He was let go because he kept showing up late to practice. What is he taking about?

DT88TheGreat
11-26-2017, 11:00 PM

Damarcus walker is going to be able to bring pressure from the DE position right up the gut.

Simple Jaded
11-26-2017, 11:09 PM
Damarcus walker is going to be able to bring pressure from the DE position right up the gut.

If you say so, so far he’s done nothing at DE and has since been moved to OLB ... where he’s done nothing.

Simple Jaded
11-26-2017, 11:11 PM
Btw, did y’all see all those plays Kyle Peko was making?

DT88TheGreat
11-26-2017, 11:13 PM
If you say so, so far he’s done nothing at DE and has since been moved to OLB ... where he’s done nothing.

He has been moved back too DE where he belongs, they only tried that OLB shit because say and barret was hurt. And he's not.even active all season because olivio says if he cannot play special teams then he cannot play which is downright stupid when a special team's coach can dictate when a defensive pass rusher should be playing.... There is no good reason why walker isn't getting burn.... I suppose this is about too change though since we are giving a ton of young guys some burn too develop.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-26-2017, 11:26 PM
Btw, did y’all see all those plays Kyle Peko was making?

He was a monster. I almost hope he has to sit the rest of the year. The time off at his age would be good

Simple Jaded
11-26-2017, 11:36 PM
He was a monster. I almost hope he has to sit the rest of the year. The time off at his age would be good

Dude.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-27-2017, 12:50 AM
Dude.

Oops, wrong Peko.