PDA

View Full Version : Wade Phillips is Smiling

WARHORSE
11-08-2017, 01:41 PM
I can understand the reasoning why Elway let Wade go. Unfortunately, it was the wrong thing to do.

Does ANYONE have to look past New England to understand how important coaching is?

Good coaches with lots of experience trump up and comers all day every day.

As a business owner who works in the field of concrete, I have very good foremen, but when I walk out on the job Im the guy who knows everything about anything. I know all the things they have yet to learn and it comes to mind in an instant.

Thats what Wade Phillips has and Joe Woods and Joseph dont.

Anyone noticed how good the Rams are playing on D this year?

smh

I love you Elway. Bad move. Should have paid the man.

weazel
11-08-2017, 01:46 PM
bum skid... great DC, horrible HC

NightTerror218
11-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Rams defense was bad to start season and are clicking now

Hawgdriver
11-08-2017, 01:56 PM
I love you Elway. Bad move. Should have paid the man.

Had to save room in org payroll for Elway's new contract.

I jest.

GEM
11-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Had to save room in org payroll for Elway's new contract.

I jest.

Shazam!
11-08-2017, 03:57 PM
It isn't the Defense thats hurting this team and i don't care how many they give up vs. Philly. Its not like Ward would have made a difference. If this Offense could score 20 every game and do SOMETHING productive on the reg they'd be in better shape.

The Offense is mediocre in all phases and positions.

The D GAVE UP on carrying this team for two years. Expecting your Defense to literally win the game for you because they have to play 100% perfect to have a chance to win is lunacy.

Tbolt
11-08-2017, 06:12 PM
It isn't the Defense thats hurting this team and i don't care how many they give up vs. Philly. Its not like Ward would have made a difference. If this Offense could score 20 every game and do SOMETHING productive on the reg they'd be in better shape.

The D GAVE UP on carrying this team for two years. Expecting your Defense to literally win the game for you because they have to play 100% perfect to have a chance to win is lunacy.

You keep repeating that, as if they could not catch their breath because they were so exhausted from the last 2 years. And if the Offense scored just 20 points a game, we would be 2-6 instead of 3-5. This Defense is nowhere close to what it was, just last year. Stop giving Woods a pass. Wade Phillips got big plays out of the weakest links on Defense. He set that in motion. It's OK to acknowledge we let the BEST DC in the NFL walk. How could there not be a drop off? He is a freaking wizard on Defense.

NightTerror218
11-08-2017, 06:16 PM
You keep repeating that, as if they could not catch their breath because they were so exhausted from the last 2 years. And if the Offense scored just 20 points a game, we would be 2-6 instead of 3-5. This Defense is nowhere close to what it was, just last year. Stop giving Woods a pass. Wade Phillips got big plays out of the weakest links on Defense. He set that in motion. It's OK to acknowledge we let the BEST DC in the NFL walk. How could there not be a drop off? He is a freaking wizard on Defense.

Wanting a QB who can not turn it over is nit how you pick your starting QB. Siemian can come in and take a knee and nevwr turn it over again. Need a playmaker. Offense is dragging team down. Defense is tired and frustrated. Offense nwed to score and keep defense off the field. Our defensive players are not ment to play from behind. Man to man and let pass rush hit home. Soft zone is not working either which us on vance

Tbolt
11-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Wanting a QB who can not turn it over is nit how you pick your starting QB. Siemian can come in and take a knee and nevwr turn it over again. Need a playmaker. Offense is dragging team down. Defense is tired and frustrated. Offense nwed to score and keep defense off the field. Our defensive players are not ment to play from behind. Man to man and let pass rush hit home. Soft zone is not working either which us on vance

Even more reason to coach aggressively! You know, Wade Phillips forte! The Bears went to a SB with possibly a worse offense, because they played so damn aggresive. How do you help a middling offense? Turnovers. They don't just come to you when you lay back, our current style. Wade Phillips was a mediocre Offenses best friend. If they were more aggresive, they would get off the field quicker too.

wayninja
11-08-2017, 06:33 PM
If it's so easy to just "be aggressive", why haven't they done that? That's a pretty severe generalization, isn't it?

I know what you are saying, but it's not like it's all reward and no risk and pays off 100% of the time. There's luck involved. There's nuance involved. Wade is a great coach, and I wish we had kept him to, but his mere presence doesn't guarantee that the ball always falls your way.

Tbolt
11-08-2017, 06:52 PM
If it's so easy to just "be aggressive", why haven't they done that? That's a pretty severe generalization, isn't it?

I know what you are saying, but it's not like it's all reward and no risk and pays off 100% of the time. There's luck involved. There's nuance involved. Wade is a great coach, and I wish we had kept him to, but his mere presence doesn't guarantee that the ball always falls your way.

Wade schemed to dictate the action, and set up big play potential. We did something similar in the SB against GB (Greg Robinson DC) bringing safety and corner blitzes and bringing pressure from different places. This is something that Wade Phillips is a master of. Sometimes that aggressiveness gets you beat, so knowing when to play that card and disguising your looks is key. We play such a vanilla style this year, that does not dictate pace.

It is all about style. These clowns and their know it all 'ground control' approach think they know better and are so risk averse, they don't do anything to force the action, when most of our playmakers are on that side of the ball. It's not just about playing man or bringing the house, disguising your looks, playing aggressive, that was Wade Phillips style, and it is sorely missing this season.

Ziggy
11-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Wade put the players in the best position to succeed. That's why the Broncos won Super Bowl 50. Period. Now we have a conservative defensive coordinator who can't create turnovers, can't put pressure on the QB, and can't find a way to keep Von from getting double teamed on nearly every play. This D was built for man coverage with aggressive blitz packages. Woods just doesn't get it. What a horrible hire. Wade would have this D dominating with the vastly improved D line that we have this year. Letting Wade go was almost as bad of a move as hiring Vance Joseph.

Shazam!
11-08-2017, 08:16 PM
The D is not the weak link. Its ridiculous to insinuate that its dragging down the team.

Cugel
11-08-2017, 08:44 PM

They get mentally tired and physically beaten down. "When it 's this bad, and the average score is 31-13, you know you have to go back to the 1960s to find a Broncos equivalent." -- Mike Klis. "When you get a 50 burger put on you that's on the coach." -- Ray Crockett.

Quote of the Week: "If Tom Brady gets the wind knocked out of him in the first quarter, then I think the Broncos have a chance." -- Mike Klis.

Simple Jaded
11-08-2017, 10:25 PM
I think I would’ve rather kept Phillips than John Elway. VJ better be worth it.

wayninja
11-08-2017, 11:36 PM
I think some folks in here underestimate the Demarcus Ware compliment to Von Miller.

I'm not taking anything away from Wade, but this is isn't the same defense as 2015.

Hawgdriver
11-08-2017, 11:40 PM
I think some folks in here underestimate the Demarcus Ware compliment to Von Miller.

I'm not taking anything away from Wade, but this is isn't the same defense as 2015.

*complement

Take 5, MO.

WARHORSE
11-09-2017, 01:57 AM

What you mean is, the defense has all the talent and depth needed and the offense sucks......I agree. And bad offense adversely affects good defenses.

But have you noticed theres no turnovers?

Good defense and great defense make the worlds of difference.

BroncoTech
11-09-2017, 04:11 AM
Wade put the players in the best position to succeed. That's why the Broncos won Super Bowl 50. Period. Now we have a conservative defensive coordinator who can't create turnovers, can't put pressure on the QB, and can't find a way to keep Von from getting double teamed on nearly every play. This D was built for man coverage with aggressive blitz packages. Woods just doesn't get it. What a horrible hire. Wade would have this D dominating with the vastly improved D line that we have this year. Letting Wade go was almost as bad of a move as hiring Vance Joseph.
Peko was a good pickup but Shane Ray has been a big disappointment and looks lost, we looked better before he came back. Talib isn't playing to his normal standard and stupid penalties plague Von.We're missing Ware, Ward, Wade and Travathan.

DenBronx
11-09-2017, 06:08 AM
It was a terrible decision to let Wade go. Maybe the single worst move of the whole offseason. And for the life of me...I can not understand why. I liked Wade as a DC, our players loved him and he got the job done. Why would we mess with that?

Then, we hire VJ, another bad move.

We've lost so many key players and coaches from our SB team. We also COULD have upgraded the QB position. No wonder this team is hot garbage right now!

Sorry for sounding bitter guys but it just makes no sense.

Side note: sounds like Irsay is going to run Luck out of Indy. Elway should really try and swing a deal with Indy this offseason.

Shazam!
11-09-2017, 06:09 AM

What you mean is, the defense has all the talent and depth needed and the offense sucks......I agree. And bad offense adversely affects good defenses.

But have you noticed theres no turnovers?

Good defense and great defense make the worlds of difference.

There is a very conservative game plan with Denver's opponents. They arent taking a lot of chances. Because they know they're going to get the ball back almost immediately. Let Denver beat themselves is almost the approach.

Northman
11-09-2017, 06:12 AM

Indeed, not quite the same as 2015 and on the field they certainly lost some leadership in Ware and Ward. That much cant be ignored no matter how hard Shazam stomps his feet. Likewise, Phillips has always been very very good as a DC so again people need to understand that while he wasnt a very good HC he certainly knew how to work the defense when he had the talent there.

All that aside, Shazam isnt totally wrong either. The biggest issue in Denver is the offense, there is no getting around that. If not for the garbage time TD late and the defensive TD when Foles came in the Broncos offense would have scored just 9 points! 9 people. Thats not a good offense especially with the kind of talent that is there at receiving and in the running backs.

Either way, its going to get worse before it gets better. Denver is not going to avoid having to either fire more coaching staffs, cut dead weight players, or watch talent go elsewhere so the important thing for Mr. Elway right now is to draft smart (like real smart, no more projects (Lynch), or risks (Shane Ray), and start going after bonafide playmakers in the draft and in FA. As a fan i can live with a down year so as long as we can right the ship for the long haul but if this downtime starts to trickle for 2-4 years that could be a real problem for Elway since as of now he has taken a lot of the credit for their success the last 4-5 years.

Either he got lucky with Manning and Miller or he is the real deal in terms of building a competitive franchise with a chance at a dynasty the next 15 or so years. I think a lot will be answered after this season one way or another.

Shazam!
11-09-2017, 09:47 AM

Indeed, not quite the same as 2015 and on the field they certainly lost some leadership in Ware and Ward. That much cant be ignored no matter how hard Shazam stomps his feet. Likewise, Phillips has always been very very good as a DC so again people need to understand that while he wasnt a very good HC he certainly knew how to work the defense when he had the talent there.

All that aside, Shazam isnt totally wrong either. The biggest issue in Denver is the offense, there is no getting around that. If not for the garbage time TD late and the defensive TD when Foles came in the Broncos offense would have scored just 9 points! 9 people. Thats not a good offense especially with the kind of talent that is there at receiving and in the running backs.

Either way, its going to get worse before it gets better. Denver is not going to avoid having to either fire more coaching staffs, cut dead weight players, or watch talent go elsewhere so the important thing for Mr. Elway right now is to draft smart (like real smart, no more projects (Lynch), or risks (Shane Ray), and start going after bonafide playmakers in the draft and in FA. As a fan i can live with a down year so as long as we can right the ship for the long haul but if this downtime starts to trickle for 2-4 years that could be a real problem for Elway since as of now he has taken a lot of the credit for their success the last 4-5 years.

Either he got lucky with Manning and Miller or he is the real deal in terms of building a competitive franchise with a chance at a dynasty the next 15 or so years. I think a lot will be answered after this season one way or another.

How long have we ALL been watching this team?

Never have we seen an offense totally broken, dysfunctional and inept. And QB play is a reflection of that.

There is not a single thing the Broncos offense can do productively. Some teams can do a few good things well and they overkill it with smoke and mirrors, which will get you by until a team faces elite talent. This offense cant do ANYTHING.

Wasted two good years of a dominant D. With an offense as putrid collectively as any team weve seen in Jax or Cleveland, Im sorry.

Shazam!
11-09-2017, 09:48 AM

...and North I do not question the lack of Leadership at all. The team is directionless without Manning or secondly Ware. No offensive leadership.

WARHORSE
11-09-2017, 12:27 PM
...and North I do not question the lack of Leadership at all. The team is directionless without Manning or secondly Ware. No offensive leadership.

Those are valid. Peyton and Wares presence brought accountability and leadership that are now voids. Agreed.

But Wade is another factor and you cant just plug a DC in place just because you have great personnel. PLAYCALLING and scheme are paramount factors.

...which apparently John Gun didnt know. :(

Tbolt
11-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Those are valid. Peyton and Wares presence brought accountability and leadership that are now voids. Agreed.

But Wade is another factor and you cant just plug a DC in place just because you have great personnel. PLAYCALLING and scheme are paramount factors.

...which apparently John Gun didnt know. :(

This. Not like we had Ware on the field much last year either. Though to lose Ware/Ward/Wade, that is just too much. I think Ward had much more impact on the NFZ than his overall numbers graded out at. Having an enforecer roaming the secondary causes problems.

Again, I am not saying this years Defense is bad. It just has taken several steps back. I put 75% of that on losing Wade.

Shazam!
11-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Is the Defense as good as it was without Ward, i think he was the bigger loss. But againit isn't Defense hilding this team back. So it is moot.

wayninja
11-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Though to lose Ware/Ward/Wade

I have no idea why, but this is making me giggle.

DT88TheGreat
11-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Smiling for what? The Broncos defense isn't a problem.

What do you think if we had wade we'd somehow be winning these game's?

DT88TheGreat
11-10-2017, 08:55 PM

It must suck to know that the Broncos have been the number one defense all season long..... You know ahead of the rams..... But I suppose when a portion of the fan base doesn't have any real knowledge about what the he'll is going on you get a i miss wade thread with a bunch of non factual emotional rants.

Hawgdriver
11-10-2017, 09:00 PM
It must suck to know that the Broncos have been the number one defense all season long..... You know ahead of the rams..... But I suppose when a portion of the fan base doesn't have any real knowledge about what the he'll is going on you get a i miss wade thread with a bunch of non factual emotional rants.

Ya, Wade was a 50-burger factory just like this new guy. Also couldn't generate takeaways to save his skin.

Broncoknight30
11-11-2017, 03:04 AM

Yeah, that nuance is timely turnovers. That is what carried this team in 2015. It is really a signature of Wade Philips. I do know that timely pressure through certain stunts often puts certain pressure on the OL. Meaning, their communication is usually the most crucial communication that happens. Once a defense becomes predictable in their stunt (blitz) packages, that translates to LESS pressure on the QB. That, leads to less turnovers. That, leads to a defense wearing down. Since this franchise has not had an effective offense since the first half of the 2014 season, it is rather imperative I would say for those turnovers to be at an optimum level.

It is also true that not all defensive plays is about "blitzing." It is about causing the offense (OL and QB) to become confused. Sometimes, if they anticipate Von Miller cause he is showing blitz, creates crucial turnovers. Here is an example of that. Brady, anticipates Von Miller coming in. He is showing blitz. He is going to his hot read. Miller, dropped into coverage and superman did not see him.

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/tom-brady-picked-off-by-von-miller.gif?w=1000

Right now, as the season is progressing, opposing OCs are effectively scouting this team. I think it surprise fans how many things coaches run in order to put pressure on teams scouting them for future games. Belichick does that all of the time. Especially when he has games relatively in hand. He runs certain plays in order to apply pressure to upcoming opponents. The more he shows, the more opposing teams need to prepare for.

The bottom line is Wade Philips defenses get stronger as the season goes forward. That, is the sign of an effective coach that understands the NUANCE of a long NFL season. We have coaches right now that are inexperienced at this level. I like Woods, and I think he is a bit old school. He is effective (has been effective) in stopping the run. This defense needs to generate turnovers for this team to have any chance. They are not and it is reflecting in a 4 game embarrassing losing streak.

Elway ****** up by getting rid of Philips. I heard or maybe read things that he did not like that Philips was supposedly causing division between the defense and offense last year. Or, worse yet that he did not like the fact that Philips was getting so much credit for SB 50. What we do know is Philips was the most Valuable Bronco in that run, and now he is gone. Which was very very odd to me when it was becoming obvious that he was not returning.

Shazam!
11-11-2017, 03:39 AM
All the problems on this team have nothing to do with Defense.

Broncoknight30
11-11-2017, 03:42 AM

Aren't you the one that said the Chiefs "let the Broncos" rush on them?

Shazam!
11-11-2017, 04:11 AM

Aren't you the one that said the Chiefs "let the Broncos" rush on them?

And? What does that have to do with this? No one in their right mind can say the Defense is the problem.

And yes KC didnt play to stop the run they played conservative and contain. Because they know, as all teams do, Broncos cannot protect their QBs.

Broncoknight30
11-11-2017, 05:33 AM
And? What does that have to do with this? No one in their right mind can say the Defense is the problem.

And yes KC didnt play to stop the run they played conservative and contain. Because they know, as all teams do, Broncos cannot protect their QBs.

First of all, saying the defense is THEEE problem and pointing out the problems with the defense, are two different things. I will let you distinguish the difference.

Your other point is too ridiculous to address.

Nomad
11-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Wade knew he wanted to be with his son in LA, and the BRONCOS couldn't offer enough.

Shazam!
11-11-2017, 11:30 AM
This is not even worth a !$&%ing thread. Its just a waste of time.

The only part of the Field Denver can play consistently is DEFENSE. Yet, continue to complain about it.

I swear I feel sometimes like I forgot more about this game than some here could ever know.

Nomad
11-11-2017, 11:32 AM

The only part of the Field Denver can play consistently is DEFENSE. Yet, continue to complain about it.

I swear I feel sometimes like I forgot more about this game than some here could ever know.

You have been very salty as of late, my friend. :D

Broncoknight30
11-11-2017, 11:52 AM

It was not an illusion. That was 51 points the eagles scored last week.

Shazam!
11-11-2017, 01:04 PM
It was not an illusion. That was 51 points the eagles scored last week.

...and why did that happen? The cumulation of a broken offense had nothing to do with the Defense throwing in the towel.

Now, one person here says the Broncos are a top rushing team (no i am serious) and the Defense now.l is pathetic and can't stop anyone.

And any Denver QB is supposed to be productive behind THAT OLine? The Line that killed Peyton Manning.

Its laughable. It really is.

Broncoknight30
11-11-2017, 01:34 PM
...and why did that happen? The cumulation of a broken offense had nothing to do with the Defense throwing in the towel.

Now, one person here says the Broncos are a top rushing team (no i am serious) and the Defense now.l is pathetic and can't stop anyone.

And any Denver QB is supposed to be productive behind THAT OLine? The Line that killed Peyton Manning.

Look, no one is saying the defense is the reason this team sucks. However, there are issues with the defense. There were issues with last year's defense as well. The 2015 defense, was as close to perfect as we will see.

The issues this year are the lack of turnovers being generated. That is a contributing factor.

Of course the major issue is suckass QB play. However, this thread about what we are missing from a Wade Philips defense. Which ironically he is coaching a defense that is among league lead in turnovers. Is that a coincidence?

Is the lack of turnovers (Broncos are last in generating fumbles) an issue and do we think wade Philips not being here is a factor?

wayninja
11-11-2017, 01:49 PM
Wade is a better defensive coach than Woods.

While not at their 2015 prime, the problem with this team is not the defense.

I'm not sure what else there is to say.

Broncoknight30
11-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Wade is a better defensive coach than Woods.

While not at their 2015 prime, the problem with this team is not the defense.

I'm not sure what else there is to say.

True, but there are issues with the defense. Is the lack of offense a factor?

Yes.....

I am.personally expecting Von to have a big game against the Pats OL. Their back up RT is in there.

I am expecting the Pats to try and get James White active. Also, the Broncos defense has struggled against TEs all season. The Eagles back up TE had a big game last Sunday and it has been a common theme all season.

We will see. Imo, there is no excuse for 51 points. None.

wayninja
11-11-2017, 02:14 PM
I see your point, knight, and your arguments are well reasoned. I can admit that there are some problems on defense. They simply pale in comparison to the problems on the other side of the ball.

I can't help but feel the pass rush issues are mostly related to the loss of Ware. Teams having to account for that duo, was simply too much. The scheme helped, but Shane Ray simply isn't Demarcus Ware. I'm hoping he can get there, but so far, he still has a lot of rust.

But I hope you are right, and tomorrow see's Tom Brady eat 3 lbs of Freshly manicured Denver turf.

:beer:

Hawgdriver
11-11-2017, 03:17 PM

51 pts were scored on the Broncos offense?

Shazam!
11-11-2017, 03:41 PM

51 pts were scored on the Broncos offense?

Did you even watch it? Or any of the games the last two Seasons?

How long did the Defense have to go before they mailed it in and said "$!#& this" as a result on carrying this Team?

People just don't want to see what the problem is even when it is smacking them in the face.

Its like Stockholm or something I swear.

Hawgdriver
11-12-2017, 12:29 AM

How long did the Defense have to go before they mailed it in and said "$!#& this" as a result on carrying this Team?

People just don't want to see what the problem is even when it is smacking them in the face.

So that's a yes? Or a no?

sneakers
11-12-2017, 12:39 AM
I don't think I have seen a play (maybe one) made by the two bronco safetys all year long

DT88TheGreat
11-12-2017, 12:48 AM
I don't think I have seen a play (maybe one) made by the two bronco safetys all year long

Simmons has made some nice play's on the ball where u seen the range potential he has, he just has to keep grinding and he'll start getting some ints.

DT88TheGreat
11-12-2017, 12:49 AM
Now steward has regressed. He just doesn't have the wheels to get to the ball anymore. Which is what makes me look at derwin james out of FSU top 5.

Shazam!
11-12-2017, 04:06 AM

So that's a yes? Or a no?

Yes they did.

Did you watch the game?

Probably not.

BeefStew25
11-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Now steward has regressed. He just doesn't have the wheels to get to the ball anymore. Which is what makes me look at derwin james out of FSU top 5.

It’s stewart.

DT88TheGreat
11-12-2017, 11:10 AM
It’s stewart.

Thanks stew.

Shazam!
11-12-2017, 12:55 PM
So, its apparently the Defense's fault now that they couldn't muster a single Field Goal at Low Angeles in an empty stadium according to this logic. Copy that!

Broncoknight30
11-12-2017, 05:05 PM
So, its apparently the Defense's fault now that they couldn't muster a single Field Goal at Low Angeles in an empty stadium according to this logic. Copy that!

Can you please give it a rest?

Thanks

Shazam!
11-12-2017, 08:11 PM

Can you please give it a rest?

Thanks

Dont like it, don't comment.

Thanks.

Hawgdriver
11-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Yes they did.

Did you watch the game?

Probably not.

It's interesting that the Rams were 4-12 last year, 7-2 this year.

Broncos 9-7, now 3-5.

One team added Wade, the other team lost Wade.

Shazam!
11-12-2017, 08:52 PM
Yes they did.

Did you watch the game?

Probably not.

It's interesting that the Rams were 4-12 last year, 7-2 this year.

Broncos 9-7, now 3-5.

One team added Wade, the other team lost Wade.

Hawg. REALLY??

Does anyone on the Broncos Defense play offense or Special Teams? Im curious.

How have the Rams fared offensively Hawg? Are they a balanced team?

atwater27
11-12-2017, 08:55 PM
I told everyone we should not have let Wade Phillips go for 'the next young phenom' BS. And got roundly laughed out of the room.

Hawgdriver
11-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Wade > Joseph + Woods.

At least this year.

Shazam!
11-12-2017, 09:28 PM
Wade > Joseph + Woods.

At least this year.

Wade must be responsible for the Rams who are Top Ten in total offense too.

DT88TheGreat
11-12-2017, 09:43 PM
I'm sure wade is responsible for drafting Goff number one and todd gurley what top 3?

Hawgdriver
11-12-2017, 09:46 PM

Shazam, do you think Denver's offensive woes bleed into shoddy Denver D?

Shazam!
11-12-2017, 10:19 PM

Shazam, do you think Denver's offensive woes bleed into shoddy Denver D?

There's nothing wrong with the Broncos juggernaut offense Hawg you know that.

topscribe
11-12-2017, 11:50 PM
What I don't understand is what they saw in Woods that they let Wade walk. :tsk:

Broncoknight30
11-13-2017, 05:33 AM
Every aspect of this sucks. Including the defense.

Actually, just really one exception. Emmanuel Sanders and that is about it.

Dont want to hear the excuses for the defense. Fine, the STs and offense suck too. Well, the defense sucks right now too.

This whole team sucks. They lost to the damn Giants at home and the game was not close. The Giants have won one game all season. They turned the ball over in every game this season, except for one game.

This is a damn joke. Sorry, but Elway brought this HC in here. Was Sean McVay even on the radar? Just wondering.

You can all give the defense a pass. This whole team sucks.

Shazam!
11-13-2017, 05:58 AM
The Defense GAVE UP after the LA shutout. Personnel do not want to risk injury for a cause they know is lost, a clueless Coach they know is going to be fired, and a job they know they probably won't have next year.

Morale on this team totally tanked. Thanks Coach.

dogfish
11-13-2017, 06:11 AM
What I don't understand is what they saw in Woods that they let Wade walk. :tsk:

he works for less than wade does, and that's what matters to the broncos these days. . . it's a real shame that mr. B lost his health, but i guess we were spoiled with strong ownership for all those years. . .

:salute:

Shazam!
11-13-2017, 06:16 AM
It isn't so much a.personnel issue as it is Coaching. They can't even have 11 on the Field now. It IS that bad.

Slick
11-13-2017, 10:06 AM
I told everyone we should not have let Wade Phillips go for 'the next young phenom' BS. And got roundly laughed out of the room.

You weren't the only one who thought letting Wade go was a bad idea.

Rick
11-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Both the defensive "gurus" we have are way overrated.

Hire a HC who's only claim to fame is 1 shitty DC season because someone said he is the next big thing.

Don't extend the contract of Wade, promote a guy with 0 years experience as coordinator to be DC because someone says they are the next big thing.

I want to know who the **** is saying these guys are the next big thing and would someone please tell that guy to shut the **** up??

Edmonton Bronco Fan
11-13-2017, 11:41 AM
Just another ill advised move to add to the long list of ill advised and incompetent decisions Elway's made as an executive...

The Glue Factory
11-13-2017, 04:17 PM
I want to know who the **** is saying these guys are the next big thing and would someone please tell that guy to shut the **** up??

And use a baseball bat to do so. TYIA!

WARHORSE
11-13-2017, 11:12 PM
Ask any Rams fan what they think Wade brought to the table.

Ive got a friend, lifetime Rams fan. He said the difference is astounding. Theyre playing STUDLY.

Simple Jaded
11-14-2017, 12:16 AM
Both the defensive "gurus" we have are way overrated.

Hire a HC who's only claim to fame is 1 shitty DC season because someone said he is the next big thing.

Don't extend the contract of Wade, promote a guy with 0 years experience as coordinator to be DC because someone says they are the next big thing.

He’s a Leader of Men, don’t you hear good?

dogfish
11-14-2017, 01:21 PM
You weren't the only one who thought letting Wade go was a bad idea.

i hated it. . . bad idea is bad!

wayninja
11-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Well, at least we saved a few bucks which has allowed us to... have a good amount of cap space?

Hawgdriver
11-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Well, at least we saved a few bucks which has allowed us to... have a good amount of cap space?

And improve* customer experiences!

*on a per dollar basis

dogfish
11-14-2017, 11:56 PM

pay for john bowlen's lawyers. . .

Simple Jaded
11-15-2017, 10:31 AM
If OTC is accurate the Broncos will have just over $11 M to roll over into next seasons cap, giving them close to $34 M in cap space.

They won’t be able to put it to good use because Elway low-balls EVERYBODY, but it’s good in theory.

Trades and draft is where they have to concentrate, IMO, because Elway isn’t recruiting anymore.

Edit; Btw, speaking of low-ball tactics, Calais Campbell has 11 sacks so far this season ... which is more than DOUBLE the entire Broncos DL COMBINED.

Wolfe has 1.
Gotsis ... 1.
Peko ... 1.
Harris has 2. Whoot whoot.

Pa. The. Tic.

Rick
11-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Wade usually let his 3-4 Ends rush the passer. Feels like Woods running more traditional and asking the Ends to occupy space.

Cugel
11-15-2017, 11:06 AM

Coaches don't count against the cap. Only players. Wade wanted to be the highest priced DC in football or close to it. And they wanted to keep Joe Woods and the only way was to promote him.

Another decision by Elway that didn't pan out.

Cugel
11-15-2017, 11:09 AM
If OTC is accurate the Broncos will have just over $11 M to roll over into next seasons cap, giving them close to $34 M in cap space.

They won’t be able to put it to good use because Elway low-balls EVERYBODY, but it’s good in theory.

Trades and draft is where they have to concentrate, IMO, because Elway isn’t recruiting anymore.

Edit; Btw, speaking of low-ball tactics, Calais Campbell has 11 sacks so far this season ... which is more than DOUBLE the entire Broncos DL COMBINED.

Wolfe has 1.
Gotsis ... 1.
Peko ... 1.
Harris has 2. Whoot whoot.

Pa. The. Tic.

I'd say that non-signing is working out for the Broncos. They are in a total rebuilding mode with young, low priced players who can grow with the rookie QB they will be drafting in the top 10.

Campbell cost $15M a year. There's no point hiring elite defensive players to "win now" when you don't have a Franchise QB and your offense is pure garbage. What's he going to do for you? Win a couple more games and get you a worse draft pick? They aren't competing for any SBs with this offensive roster.

They need to rebuild through the draft before they can add a few missing pieces through FA.

Cugel
11-15-2017, 11:12 AM
And improve* customer experiences!

*on a per dollar basis

What? You think they will add a Party Deck to Mile High like the Rockies did? Then the fans can get drunk enough by 1/2 time that they won't care about the Broncos not competing?

Broncoknight30
11-16-2017, 04:45 AM
Wade usually let his 3-4 Ends rush the passer. Feels like Woods running more traditional and asking the Ends to occupy space.

Yeap, and let us look at an example of what a pass rushing DE in a 3-4 (same role as a DT in the 4-3) does to a QB like Brady. Normally, Brady has a place to step into as the DEs or OLBs in a 3-4 get pressure.

What happens when there is nowhere to step into? This is what happens.

https://usatbroncoswire.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/miller-and-ware-sack.gif?w=1000

Of course that was Malik, but he was also playing a different role under Philips. Like you said, it is a different basic scheme.

DT88TheGreat
11-16-2017, 03:53 PM
So the Broncos lost a little something In pass rush mainly due to Shane Ray and barret both coming off injuries but gained something in run defense.... Because they have gotten very stout vs the run and that hasn't been the case in recent years.

wayninja
11-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Who needs to run the ball when the TE is always open?

Eifert gonna get 2 TD's from IR.

DT88TheGreat
11-16-2017, 05:32 PM
Who needs to run the ball when the TE is always open?

Eifert gonna get 2 TD's from IR.

Tight ends won't have enough time to burn us next year with the additions of roquan MLB outta Georgia and a healthy Ray x Barrett and a more experienced Justin Simmons.

Rick
11-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Barrett will be gone next year. he has enough potential that some other team will sign him to a decent deal and we won't match.

wayninja
11-16-2017, 05:58 PM
Barrett will be gone next year. he has enough potential that some other team will sign him to a decent deal and we won't match.

But just think of the cap space we will save!

Jsteve01
11-16-2017, 10:39 PM
this is essentially why I wanted to hire Phillips in the first place. The guy is such a good defensive coordinator that for a long period of time every 5 years or so people would forget what a bad head coach he was. And the other thing is when you have an older very very good defensive coordinator especially one who's failed as a head coach you don't have to worry about him getting snapped up by another team as a head coach. This obsession with hiring young coordinators who work with the team for two years and then leave really messes with continuity. Woods has done a decent job but definitely not a Wade Phillips job.

Simple Jaded
11-16-2017, 11:18 PM

2 sacks in 7 games as a starter.

Simple Jaded
11-16-2017, 11:21 PM
I'd say that non-signing is working out for the Broncos. They are in a total rebuilding mode with young, low priced players who can grow with the rookie QB they will be drafting in the top 10.

Campbell cost $15M a year. There's no point hiring elite defensive players to "win now" when you don't have a Franchise QB and your offense is pure garbage. What's he going to do for you? Win a couple more games and get you a worse draft pick? They aren't competing for any SBs with this offensive roster.

They need to rebuild through the draft before they can add a few missing pieces through FA.

No, they weren’t in rebuild mode when Elway low-balled Campbell, if they were why even offer him a contract?

Also, they can’t build only through the draft on the count of the fact that they blow so many draft picks.

Simple Jaded
11-16-2017, 11:24 PM

Btw, this logic is how we get “Trade Von Miller” takes.

DT88TheGreat
11-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Wade Phillips aint smiling today....