PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Jones among owners trying to halt Roger Goodell's extension

Denver Native (Carol)
10-29-2017, 10:57 AM
The Cowboys' Jerry Jones was a leading voice among 17 NFL owners on a conference call Thursday that discussed the possibility of halting commissioner Roger Goodell's pending contract extension, sources involved with the call told ESPN.

There is a growing difference of opinion among owners on Goodell's overall performance as commissioner, according to sources. The owners on Thursday's conference call are generally unhappy with Goodell and the NFL's front office for a variety of reasons, including the player protests staged during the national anthem, the issues regarding the relocation of teams to Los Angeles and the league's handling of the Ray Rice domestic violence case, according to sources.

"You don't get to have this many messes over the years like Roger has had and survive it," said one owner on the call.

Despite the unhappiness, this group of owners is skeptical that it will be able to outright fire Goodell, according to sources. The NFL would need 24 owners to approve Goodell's ouster. But one person involved in this past week's conference call compared the NFL's current situation with Goodell to Major League Baseball's situation with Fay Vincent in September 1992, when baseball owners voted 18-9 to force him out and replace him with Bud Selig.

"There is, and was, something that is an issue," a league source who was not on the conference call and didn't learn about it until Saturday night said. "I'd be very surprised about wanting to change Roger. I'd be shocked about that."

rest - much more - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21206250/dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-owners-trying-hijack-roger-goodell-proposed-contract-extension

Northman
10-29-2017, 11:14 AM
Im with Jones, i dont like Goodell at all.

spikerman
10-29-2017, 11:18 AM
I like him.

dogfish
10-29-2017, 11:24 AM
it's about time jerruh did something good. . .

MNPatsFan
10-29-2017, 11:58 AM
Im with Jones, i dont like Goodell at all.I'm not a fan of Goodell, but I am even less of a fan of Jerry Jones. Isn't it amazing that Jerry was a strong supporter of Roger Goodell until his player "Zeke", who is an idiot and thug, was suspended. Not to mention Jerry's 180 degree turn on the national anthem situation.:rolleyes:

Northman
10-29-2017, 12:11 PM
I'm not a fan of Goodell, but I am even less of a fan of Jerry Jones. Isn't it amazing that Jerry was a strong supporter of Roger Goodell until his player "Zeke", who is an idiot and thug, was suspended. Not to mention Jerry's 180 degree turn on the national anthem situation.:rolleyes:

Jones has his issues but Goodell has been mostly bad for the NFL. The fact that he is so wishy washy on things has not helped at all. He totally screwed the pooch on the Ray Rice issue.

spikerman
10-29-2017, 12:14 PM
The players don’t like Goodell because he holds them accountable. The owners are turning on him because they’re afraid of their players.

Simple Jaded
10-29-2017, 11:53 PM
Goodell doesn’t make these messes, he doesn’t beat his wife, murder people, get DUI’s ... that’s the players making these headlines. Fans don’t like him because he’s suspending their best players. All these messes amounts to about 5% of the leagues players.

The owners lining up to ship Goodell out are probably the ones that Goodell had the stand up to, Jones, Kraft, Bisciotti.

The problem here is some owners think they’re above the others.

Somebody has to hold all these Billionare/Millionaire infants accountable.

MNPatsFan
10-30-2017, 06:58 AM
Goodell doesn’t make these messes, he doesn’t beat his wife, murder people, get DUI’s ... that’s the players making these headlines. Fans don’t like him because he’s suspending their best players. All these messes amounts to about 5% of the leagues players.

The owners lining up to ship Goodell out are probably the ones that Goodell had the stand up to, Jones, Kraft, Bisciotti.

The problem here is some owners think they’re above the others.

Somebody has to hold all these Billionare/Millionaire infants accountable.I don't think Kraft is one of the owners who are plotting to ship Goodell off. Kraft was pissed at Goodell for screwing the pooch with the Ray Rice and Brady situations. I suspect that the owners who are plotting against Goodell are Jones, Richardson (Panthers), McNair (Texans), etc. who want to punish the minor number of players who are protesting during the national anthem.

Shazam!
10-30-2017, 07:30 AM
The NFL has changed dramatically during his tenure. Not for the better. I miss Paul Tagliabue. I am all for this and hope it happens.

Mike
10-30-2017, 08:27 AM
I hope he gets enough owner support to cancel the extension. The NFL has spiraled down under Goodell's watch. I didn't watch a minute of any game this weekend and didn't miss it.

BeefStew25
10-30-2017, 09:04 AM
The owners just need to gel.

Dreadnought
10-30-2017, 10:48 AM
I hope he gets enough owner support to cancel the extension. The NFL has spiraled down under Goodell's watch. I didn't watch a minute of any game this weekend and didn't miss it.

Everyone involved, the Owners, Goodell, the players, have all seemingly forgotten that they are all replaceable. The fans are not so easily replaced. I think these idiots may have actually killed that proverbial golden goose.

PS - Yesterday i went to church, went out to lunch, went grocery shopping, took a nap, read a book, and watched the superb WS game at night. I'll watch the Broncos tonight, though I suspect I'll regret that decision...

slim
10-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Everyone involved, the Owners, Goodell, the players, have all seemingly forgotten that they are all replaceable. The fans are not so easily replaced. I think these idiots may have actually killed that proverbial golden goose.

PS - Yesterday i went to church, went out to lunch, went grocery shopping, took a nap, read a book, and watched the superb WS game at night. I'll watch the Broncos tonight, though I suspect I'll regret that decision...

I didn't watch any football yesterday either. It was a fantastic day!

BroncoJoe
10-30-2017, 11:50 AM
I watched a little RedZone between the 12 bags of leafs I had to bag. Only because I had heard the Raiders were getting ass-whooped.

Dreadnought
10-30-2017, 12:36 PM
... Only because I had heard the Raiders were getting ass-whooped.

That is a good thing, even to this day

MNPatsFan
10-30-2017, 05:41 PM
I watched a little RedZone between the 12 bags of leafs I had to bag. Only because I had heard the Raiders were getting ass-whooped.Hmmm, pot is legal in Colorado and you were bagging 12 bags of leaves. You must be a rich man Joe!!;)

:lol:

MNPatsFan
10-30-2017, 05:48 PM
I hope he gets enough owner support to cancel the extension. The NFL has spiraled down under Goodell's watch. I didn't watch a minute of any game this weekend and didn't miss it.Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing Goodell sent packing. But it must be a package deal where Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder have to be sent packing too!!:elefant:

Dreadnought
10-30-2017, 07:30 PM
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing Goodell sent packing. But it must be a package deal where Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder have to be sent packing too!!:elefant:

I promise you it causes me near real physical pain to agree with Jerry Jones about anything, but there ya go

BroncoWave
10-30-2017, 09:02 PM
I think anger toward Goodell is misplaced. He's nothing more than a meat shield for the owners. He basically does what they want him to. Bring in any other commissioner and the league won't be any different most likely. The owners will just bring in another puppet to do their bidding.

slim
10-30-2017, 11:38 PM
I think anger toward Goodell is misplaced. He's nothing more than a meat shield for the owners. He basically does what they want him to. Bring in any other commissioner and the league won't be any different most likely. The owners will just bring in another puppet to do their bidding.

Agree. Goodell is no Mack.

Simple Jaded
10-30-2017, 11:48 PM

This is absolutely not true, people forget what a whirlpool of bullshit the NFL was under Tagliabue. Broncos included, Bowlen once said something about bailing players out of jail if they win. Tagliabue was the impetus for Goodell’s iron fist up players asses.

Simple Jaded
10-30-2017, 11:52 PM
I don't think Kraft is one of the owners who are plotting to ship Goodell off. Kraft was pissed at Goodell for screwing the pooch with the Ray Rice and Brady situations. I suspect that the owners who are plotting against Goodell are Jones, Richardson (Panthers), McNair (Texans), etc. who want to punish the minor number of players who are protesting during the national anthem.
Goodell didn’t screw the pooch on Brady, stop ****** cheating and the other owners wouldn’t force Goodell’s hand.

TB12 is a fag.

Thank you.

#thankyou

Simple Jaded
10-30-2017, 11:57 PM

I think we’re getting a little carried away with our self-importance.

It’s the concussion issue that’ll kill the golden goose.

Dapper Dan
10-31-2017, 09:06 AM

I'm sure there are a lot of politics at play also. I'll just leave it at that.

Dapper Dan
10-31-2017, 09:07 AM
Jerry Jones can go David Carradine himself.