PDA

View Full Version : Missed assignments ignite Broncos player-only meetings

Denver Native (Carol)
10-29-2017, 08:58 AM
ENGLEWOOD—Sometimes, it’s easier to get work done when the bosses aren’t around.

The Denver Broncos are struggling mightily and while head coach Vance Joseph indicated earlier in the week he wanted less meetings and more on-field work for his team while preparing for its next game Monday night against the Kansas City Chiefs, the players took it upon themselves to put in extra work.

“That’s important, too, because the coaches can give you the solid game plan and they can give you time, but for players to get better with their details it takes more of your own time,’’ Joseph said following the team’s walkthrough-like practice Saturday. “The players this week had more player-to-player meetings and guys are taking their work home and studying. That’s important. It’s professional football, so for you to nail your job it’s has to be sometimes homework. That’s part of their jobs.”

Broncos players, particularly those on offense, talked all week about how most of their problems have been missed assignments. Trevor Siemian calls the plays, or changes the play at the line of scrimmage, and one or two guys will invariably go the wrong way or do the wrong thing.

One reason, perhaps, why Joseph has not placed more blame for the Broncos’ inept offense on the quarterback than other players.

The player meetings -- the offense and defense met separately -- were mostly film sessions of the game plan with the players quizzing each other on their assignments.

Maybe all this extra credit will help against the Chiefs.

rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/missed-assignments-ignite-broncos-player-only-meetings/486893499

Northman
10-29-2017, 09:40 AM
Maybe all this extra credit will help against the Chiefs.

I wouldnt count on it.

BeefStew25
10-29-2017, 10:20 AM
They are starting to jell

spikerman
10-29-2017, 11:08 AM
I predict an offensive explosion this week. Maybe even as many as 11 points.

BroncoWave
10-29-2017, 11:13 AM
Given how stupid and unpredictable this season has been, watch us come out and blow the Chiefs out.

spikerman
10-29-2017, 11:14 AM
Given how stupid and unpredictable this season has been, watch us come out and blow the Chiefs out.
Your lips to God’s ears.

spikerman
10-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Am I the only one that doesn’t like it when the Broncos have to snap the ball from the red zone? I also secretly hope that they get a penalty that pushes them out of the red zone. I think that increases the odds of a score (as long as it’s not a field goal).

dogfish
10-29-2017, 11:23 AM

you ass!

:heh:

spikerman
10-29-2017, 11:24 AM
you ass!

:heh:
Says you!

DT88TheGreat
10-29-2017, 12:36 PM

Lol you are hilarious, that would definitely be an explosion for us right now after dropping a big fat ZERO.

Davii
10-29-2017, 12:56 PM
I hope it pays off. Bring in Peyton as an offensive consultant and have him show these non point scoring jack wagons how to prepare for a game.

weazel
10-29-2017, 01:22 PM
So... Championship?

Cugel
10-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Broncos players, particularly those on offense, talked all week about how most of their problems have been missed assignments. Trevor Siemian calls the plays, or changes the play at the line of scrimmage, and one or two guys will invariably go the wrong way or do the wrong thing.

That is all the signs of an OL that doesn't have much experience playing together. They are not all on the same page anytime Trevor has to make an adjustment, some of the OL aren't getting it.

JFK said: "10% never get the word" after screwups during the Bay of Pigs Incident nearly led to nuclear war. The Broncos OL are perpetually among the 10% and have been for years now.

THAT is the biggest problem on this entire team, even bigger than Trevor's inadequacy. Because you can get by with a limited QB, as long as you don't put too much pressure on him. The defense is good enough that if the Offense were AVERAGE, then the Broncos would get into the playoffs. And if they once made the playoffs, none of the other teams in the AFC look unbeatable right now.

They let you play more Old-School Defense in the playoffs. The refs are less likely to call the defense for hand-fighting with WRs or re-directing them with their bodies, all the ticky-tack crapolla they call during the regular season. That favours the teams with the best defenses, and is the biggest reason why "defense wins championships."

But, you have to get there, and there's little chance the Broncos will - mostly because their OL simply puts all the pressure on the QB, who just isn't up to that kind of stress.

The only kind of QBs who could thrive in this environment by making the OL look a lot better than they are would be a guy like Peyton Manning - and experienced QB who always gets the team in the right formation, knows every single assignment better than the OL themselves, and loves to be blitzed because he always reads and reacts to it. Always.

In short, an elite veteran QB. Well, of course the Broncos don't have anything remotely like that. They knew that going into the season.

That's why the slump is so mysterious. They didn't expect this and are non-plussed to find out that their team is much less good than they thought.

Or, rather, that the parts that were good before (the defense) are still good, but the parts that sucked last year, (the offense particularly the OL) still suck just the same or worse in 2017.

They spent the entire Off-Season talking about how they were fixing the OL. It was the #1 topic of conversation on the media all off-season:

"how are they going to fix this OL? These are all the Free Agent LTs? Are they going to keep Russell Okung and sign a FA RT and then draft a T to groom for a year at RT. If so, what round should they take him in? Is there a LT worthy of the First Round? They let Okung go. They failed to sign any of the premier FA LTs, they didn't get Whitworth, they didn't get Reiff, they got Ron Landry who is a guard. And Menelik Watson, who has missed over 1/2 of his NFL career with injury. Now we're in training camp, what sign is there that Bolles will be ready to start game 1 of the regular season. Is he even in the plan to start game 1 at LT, and if not who else could they put there until he is ready? "

Multiply all that stuff by about 100 and you have pretty much described the focus of the local Broncos media during the off-season. Yet, after answering all these questions from reporters and media all off-season look at the result!

All off-season: Word Out of Dove Valley: "We got this! Nothing to see here! The OL is fixed. We got a bunch of new guys and they're working together well. Go back about your business because there's nothing to worry about!" - And the media is reporting "Ok, they sound pretty confident that Menelik Watson is the answer over on the right side. I guess we'll see."

After the OL is a disaster the first 6 games and the team is plummeting out of the sky in a vertical death spiral, having lost the last 2 games badly: "We're working on the problem. Please remain calm and stay in your seats! If the oxygen mask descends, please place it over your mouths and breath normally."

WELL: ARE YOU BREATHING NORMALLY NOW???

spikerman
10-29-2017, 01:50 PM
Cugel, give me the TL;DR version.

Cugel
10-29-2017, 02:03 PM
Cugel, give me the TL;DR version.

Say WHaat?

Timmy!
10-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Say WHaat?

He's awarding you the prize longest winded poster that nobody reads. Joel is so jealous.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-29-2017, 05:31 PM
Double digits is a bit much to ask. Let’s walk before we run.

Nomad
10-29-2017, 05:35 PM
I wonder who did most of the lecturing? I'm trying to think who would be the vocal leader on this team. I bet it was Siemian. :D

Tned
10-29-2017, 08:10 PM
Say WHaat?

tl;dr means too long, didn't read.

As a formally verbose posted, I got that on more than one occasion.

dogfish
10-30-2017, 02:30 AM
tl;dr means too long, didn't read.

As a formally verbose posted, I got that on more than one occasion.

define "more than one". . .

:D

Shazam!
10-30-2017, 07:32 AM
This is why it is the HC. Look no further.

Cugel
10-30-2017, 03:04 PM
Well, we're going to find out this evening whether that 'closed door' meeting meant anything. Player meetings often change nothing. The OL needs to come together and start playing unified. Right now, on virtually every play some guy is having a break-down, missing an assignment, or something.

Like herding cats, every cat wants to go in his own direction. And nobody is pulling the sled in the proper direction.

Simple Jaded
10-31-2017, 12:46 AM
That went well.

Hawgdriver
10-31-2017, 02:00 AM
moar meetings!

Timmy!
10-31-2017, 03:05 AM
moar meetings!

Moaaarrrrr simmmiiiiiananansbsssa!!!

BroncoWave
10-31-2017, 06:10 AM
So just to be clear, I guess we didn't jell this week?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-31-2017, 09:32 AM

Siemian threw some darts....to the other team.

Cugel
10-31-2017, 09:38 AM
Well, we're going to find out this evening whether that 'closed door' meeting meant anything. Player meetings often change nothing. The OL needs to come together and start playing unified. Right now, on virtually every play some guy is having a break-down, missing an assignment, or something.

Like herding cats, every cat wants to go in his own direction. And nobody is pulling the sled in the proper direction.

I was afraid of that. Losing teams often have "player only meetings" in which guys try and talk out whatever issues they have and turn things around. Usually however, nothing changes and the team continues to be horrible.

John Elway has to regret hiring Vance Joseph right now. He's clearly lost this team entirely. They are not performing even simple things like, just don't turn the ball over. IF you have to punt, punt, but don't give it away.

DT88TheGreat
11-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Dude you are quoting yourself and actually responding to yourself. This is astonishing.

Davii
11-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Dude you are quoting yourself and actually responding to yourself. This is astonishing.

Ironic that we think the same when people quote and respond to you

LawDog
11-02-2017, 02:39 PM

Considering there was an intervening (means in the middle) event, the second post was absolutely appropriate to follow up on the first. You obviously failed to notice that or you wouldn't have been astonished.

dogfish
11-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Considering there was an intervening (means in the middle) event, the second post was absolutely appropriate to follow up on the first. You obviously failed to notice that or you wouldn't have been astonished.

maybe he's just easily astonished?

:noidea:

DT88TheGreat
11-02-2017, 09:38 PM

Call it what you feel, it's astonishing and very weird. Similar to hi fiving your own post that I see from a couple.

spikerman
11-02-2017, 10:04 PM
Call it what you feel, it's astonishing and very weird. Similar to hi fiving your own post that I see from a couple.

People who hi-five their own posts are the worst.

Simple Jaded
11-02-2017, 10:11 PM

Losers!

dogfish
11-02-2017, 10:37 PM

i know, right? what a bunch of jackasses. . .

slim
11-02-2017, 10:39 PM

Good call.

EastCoastBronco
11-03-2017, 10:49 AM

I've been on these boards for a long time and I had no idea I could "High-Five" myself.
I'll be in my bunk...

LawDog
11-03-2017, 11:38 AM
I've been on these boards for a long time and I had no idea I could "High-Five" myself.
I'll be in my bunk...

With a tube sock?

MOtorboat
11-03-2017, 12:52 PM

Right?

Cugel
11-03-2017, 01:48 PM

They "jelled" the way a turd freezes.

MOtorboat
11-03-2017, 01:51 PM
They "jelled" the way a turd freezes.

Do you freeze a lot of turds, Cugel? What is the purpose of doing so?

underrated29
11-03-2017, 02:02 PM

To use as a dildo.

slim
11-03-2017, 02:35 PM

That sounds like a dangerous game.

On a drunken night, looking for some ice cream....:shocked:

LawDog
11-03-2017, 02:59 PM

An amusing anecdote...

When I was much, much younger I spent a few years living in Canada (Alberta for those curious). When I got married, I told my sister-in-law that I hated spring in Canada because when it finally warmed up a little all the frozen farts from the winter would thaw out and it would stink for like two weeks. Pretty sure she still believes that to be true. She also asked if I had to learn to speak Canadian when I lived there, so it wasn't a particularly difficult con.

Cugel
11-03-2017, 03:13 PM

No, but you're clearly knowledgeable in the area. Perhaps you spend a lot of time in cold storage?

Simple Jaded
11-03-2017, 07:53 PM
An amusing anecdote...

When I was much, much younger I spent a few years living in Canada (Alberta for those curious). When I got married, I told my sister-in-law that I hated spring in Canada because when it finally warmed up a little all the frozen farts from the winter would thaw out and it would stink for like two weeks. Pretty sure she still believes that to be true. She also asked if I had to learn to speak Canadian when I lived there, so it wasn't a particularly difficult con.
Is your SIL blonde?

LawDog
11-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Is your SIL blonde?

No, just dim.

I got the bright one of the bunch.

Simple Jaded
11-03-2017, 08:03 PM
No, just dim.

I got the bright one of the bunch.

Is she hot?

LawDog
11-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Is she hot?

The SIL? Most assuredly not.

Again, I poached the talent.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-03-2017, 11:09 PM
An amusing anecdote...

That is a beautiful story. :laugh: