PDA

View Full Version : Wish we could get some captions on the defensive alignments against the Broncos.

Broncoknight30
10-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Searching around and I really cannot find much. After the Cowboys game, have teams been committing 8 men or 9 men in the box? I have heard that, and I am trying to find out if that is true. It would be telling if that is true. If that is true, then the problem truly is with the coaching staff. If that is not true, then the problem is truly with the personnel.

Cause how in the world a team can run so effectively after two games and then diminish so dramatically is mysterious. I would also love to find out about the sacks. For instance, of the 22 sacks on Siemian, I am wondering how many happened within that crucial 3 second window? How many happened after 5 seconds? How many happened after the 3 step drops or 5 step drops.

Often times sacks can be on QBs as much as they are on the line. Perhaps even moreso. They can also be on the coaching staff more than they are on the line. If different blocking schemes are not called for, then that is on both the QB and the staff.

There are just some factors that we don't know that could give us a better perspective.

Cugel
10-24-2017, 09:03 AM
Of course they are putting 8 men in the box instead of 7 (4-3 or 3-4 normally).

The way to stop that is to force them to back off. Hit them for big plays over the top. Only the offensive line is putrid so they can't pass protect well enough to do that.

So, don't try and do it. If you can't protect well enough for Trevor to drop back in a 7 step drop, don't try that. Use exclusively 3 and 5 step drops with pick plays, and shallow crossing routes designed to get open quick. Since DT is being doubled all day, find someone else to stretch the middle of the field.

I don't think VJ has a clue and is in over his head, because he keeps saying "we need to execute better." It's like a man running his head into a stone wall over and over saying "I just need some more momentum before I hit that wall!" What they are trying to "execute" isn't working.

Unless something changes radically in his approach they are going to get absolutely destroyed in Kansas City and Philly. You might not have noticed but the Chiefs and Eagles are the two best teams in the NFL this season (right now anyway), and they are playing those teams on the road, where the Broncos struggle at the best of times.

Then they play the Patriots at home, followed by the Bengals (possible win) and then back on the road to the east coast to play the Dolphins where the Broncos normally lose.

This is shaping up as a 6-10 maybe 5-11 season and a top 10 draft pick. Vance Joseph was chosen for his "leadership" skills. Well, it's time to start leading son. Cause this ain't working out.

Rick
10-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Hey, don't knock VJ. We were told he is a "leader of men", whatever the **** that means.

Broncoknight30
10-24-2017, 09:18 AM
Of course they are putting 8 men in the box instead of 7 (4-3 or 3-4 normally).

The way to stop that is to force them to back off. Hit them for big plays over the top. Only the offensive line is putrid so they can't pass protect well enough to do that.

So, don't try and do it. If you can't protect well enough for Trevor to drop back in a 7 step drop, don't try that. Use exclusively 3 and 5 step drops with pick plays, and shallow crossing routes designed to get open quick. Since DT is being doubled all day, find someone else to stretch the middle of the field.

I don't think VJ has a clue and is in over his head, because he keeps saying "we need to execute better." It's like a man running his head into a stone wall over and over saying "I just need some more momentum before I hit that wall!" What they are trying to "execute" isn't working.

Yes, I agree. I just wish we had more photo evidence. There was a play that I remember Sunday that typifies the real problem, and a lot of it is scheming. Down inside Broncos 20, Broncos ran a sweep to the right. Chargers right DE just flies to CJ with ZERO concern of any sort of bootleg etc. The blocking scheme did not even account for him. It really shouldn't. Bolles went out to the back side LB, which is his job. I forget who the DE was, but he just really committed and was totally unblocked. It is hard enough getting the proper people blocked, let alone allowing the backside pursuit to stifle any cut back lanes. Hell, the backside pursuit are making first hits, which is telling unto itself.

Now, teams defenses are using their backside pursuit to collapse running lanes, then a team needs to run bootleg play action. That would be wide open. Even if you did it once, or maybe twice the backside has to stay and NOT over pursue. There is NONE of that going on. So, it is not necessarily 8 men or 9 men, but it is about basic running schemes that the defenses are exploiting. That is what I am seeing anyway.

Rick
10-24-2017, 09:42 AM
On the flip side while I am not happy with VJ so far...the guy I wanted is 0-7 so...

MOtorboat
10-24-2017, 02:01 PM
The Chargers walked a safety into the box during much of the first quarter (that's as far as I got), except on third and longs. Here are the first down plays:

MOtorboat
10-24-2017, 02:01 PM

I believe it's Addae.

Broncoknight30
10-24-2017, 02:20 PM

I believe it's Addae.

Thanks!

Seems to me when under center they are pretty much telling the Broncos you are not establishing the run. No way, no how.

When they line up in spread, they are significantly loosened up.

NightTerror218
10-24-2017, 02:37 PM
Thanks!

Seems to me when under center they are pretty much telling the Broncos you are not establishing the run. No way, no how.

Several times in the spread would be a blitz too.

MOtorboat
10-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Thanks!

They aligned in single up man-to-man almost exclusively in what I saw. They dared the Broncos to throw and Siemian couldn't do it.

Davii
10-24-2017, 02:50 PM
They aligned in single up man-to-man almost exclusively in what I saw. They dared the Broncos to throw and Siemian couldn't do it.

Can we share these photos with VJ? I'm not sure he has noticed.

Rick
10-24-2017, 06:38 PM

He throws just fine, it's just to the other team. Maybe color blind?

MOtorboat
10-24-2017, 06:46 PM
He throws just fine, it's just to the other team. Maybe color blind?

Well, he's no Jay Cutler in that regard. The third down out pass that whoever the announcer was was trying to pass off as a throw away was just an awful, awful pass. The Chargers dropped into some form of a man-cover 3 and the outside corner was heading back into deep coverage when (I think it was) Thomas made his break. The slot corner in single was torched, he was two yards behind Thomas and the pass was five yards out of bounds. It's just bad.

Softskull
10-24-2017, 07:27 PM
11 men in the box!

Davii
10-24-2017, 08:28 PM
11 men in the box!

Why not? We know Trevor isn't beating anyone if you can generate a pass rush, and that's an easy task as well.