PDA

View Full Version : Taking Stock of the Schedule at the Bye

NightTrainLayne
10-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Plenty of other posters do weekly breakdowns of stats, and where we stack up with the league statistically and differing versions of power rankings.

Our bye is early this year, but every year I take a look at the bye and see how the rest of our schedule appears to shape up. We usually know enough about the team and the NFL in general to make some pretty solid projections about the rest of the season. This year it's a little on the early side, but here's how I see the rest of the schedule:

Giants - Win

At Chargers- Win, a tough divisional game, but we should be able to win there. .. .it will be a home game in practice.

At Chiefs - Loss. Not much to say, the Chiefs are damn good, and at home.

At Eagles - Loss. This one is really a toss-up for me at this point. I think we could win it, but East Coast/Early game, on the road etc.

Patriots - Win. At home we own these guys, and they have the worst defense in the league.

Bengals - Win.

At Raiders - Loss. Split the series, I'll take it.

At Dolphins - Win. Cutler ain't doing Jack against the No-Fly zone.

Jets - W. I. N. Win

At Colts - Win.

At Redskins - Loss. Another toss-up. We are more talented, but they're at home.

Chiefs - Win. Mile High's got to bring some magic for a week 17 showdown.

Predicted record: 11 - 5

What do the rest of you think?

MOtorboat
10-02-2017, 05:11 PM
The Chargers to Raiders stretch is really tough. I still think 8-8 or 9-7 unless they can steal two or three in that stretch. If they can do that, 10-6, 11-5 is not out of the realm.

wayninja
10-02-2017, 05:42 PM
I still think we can win out.

Nevermind that I predicted 6 wins before the season started...

tripp
10-02-2017, 06:53 PM
I still think we can win out.

Nevermind that I predicted 6 wins before the season started...

I think we can as long as our offense is consistent in the 2nd half. It can't become lifeless as it has in recent weeks

CrazyHorse
10-02-2017, 07:10 PM
The Chiefs and Patriots are the only teams that really worry me. I think the Broncos are better than the rest. 10-12 wins might be on the optimistic side of realistic expectations. I wouldn't be surprised to see this team go 7-9 though, especially if injuries occur.

Tned
10-02-2017, 07:10 PM
I'll stick with my 11-5 prediction, swapping the Bills/Raiders W/L.

Injuries on defense has me worried, assuming Wolf, Crick and Walker aren't long term injuries, then I think something like this:

W - Week 1 - vs Chargers MNF late game
W - Week 2 - vs Cowboys
W - Week 3 - at Bills (11:00 MT)
L - Week 4 - vs Raiders
Week 5 - Bye
W - Week 6 - vs Giants SNF
L - Week 7 - at Chargers
L - Week 8 - at Chiefs MNF
W - Week 9 - at Eagles (11:00 MT)
W - Week 10 - vs Patriots SNF
W - Week 11 -vs Bengals
L - Week 12 - at Raiders
W - Week 13 - at Dolphins (11:00 MT)
W - Week 14 - vs Jets
L - Week 15 - at Colts TNF
W - Week 16 - at Redskins (11:00 MT)
W - Week 17 - vs Chiefs

11-5, but could easily swing anywhere from 9-7 to 12-4. I put the likelihood of worse than 9 wins or better than 12 as pretty unlikely. So, I'l call the 9-12 win range as 80% confidence and more like 65% confidence level in the 11 wins.

Tned
10-02-2017, 07:12 PM
The Chiefs and Patriots are the only teams that really worry me. I think the Broncos are better than the rest. 10-12 wins might be on the optimistic side of realistic expectations. I wouldn't be surprised to see this team go 7-9 though, especially if injuries occur.

Really think the team could go 4-8 from here on out?

Dreadnought
10-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Plenty of other posters do weekly breakdowns of stats, and where we stack up with the league statistically and differing versions of power rankings.

Our bye is early this year, but every year I take a look at the bye and see how the rest of our schedule appears to shape up. We usually know enough about the team and the NFL in general to make some pretty solid projections about the rest of the season. This year it's a little on the early side, but here's how I see the rest of the schedule:

Giants - Win

At Chargers- Win, a tough divisional game, but we should be able to win there. .. .it will be a home game in practice.

At Eagles - Loss. This one is really a toss-up for me at this point. I think we could win it, but East Coast/Early game, on the road etc.

Patriots - Win. At home we own these guys, and they have the worst defense in the league.

Bengals - Win.

Jets - W. I. N. Win

At Colts - Win.

I think we beat Philly or the Skins, maybe both. I think the Faid are seriously over-rated, esp. if Carr is battling a back injury through the season. We get them for the sweep. Then we'll lose a head-scratcher to a chump team, and finish 12-4

HORSEPOWER 56
10-02-2017, 07:37 PM
I'm not much for predictions but I do know one thing. In our 3 wins, we played shit defenses. The first time our offense saw a good defense, we lost. By that standard, I think the Chiefs, Giants (because they're desperate), Redskins, and Eagles will definitely give us problems. I'm sure we'll drop a token game to another team we should beat, like Cincy or the Jets.

With our current offense, 10-6 is our peak and with our defense, I think 7-9 is our floor.

Nomad
10-02-2017, 08:12 PM
BRONCOS aren't going to do very well by not scoring touchdowns. If they can figure out the offense (no one expects the Dallas game every week), then I can see a 10-11 win season sneaking into wildcard. If they can't figure out the offense, I can see a 6-7 win season. I get we're in the same scenario as 2015 with a questionable offense, and damn good defense, but I don't think it'll happen like that again.

Buff
10-03-2017, 09:50 AM
KC is the only team that is clearly better than us IMO. We match up poorly with the Patriots because we're not designed to exploit their weak defense - you hope home field is enough to tip the scales there.

My main concern is that IF we manage to lose the NYG game it's not out of the realm of possibility that we go 1-4 over the next five games and then the season starts to look a lot different. I would be happy with 3-3 over our next 6 games, which puts us at 7-4 heading into a softer part of our schedule.

I feel like there is a pretty wide range of outcomes for this team. It wouldn't shock me if we ended up at 11-5 or 8-8. But I think 9-7 or 10-6 feels more realistic.

Hawgdriver
10-03-2017, 10:45 AM
This is a 14-2 team that constantly reverts to playing like an 8-8 team. Nearly every game you think 'they should be winning this game by 3 or 4 scores.' But they keep finding ways to step on their own feet. It's truly a strong team, much stronger than I would have guessed even with the O-line pass blocking issues. This team really will go where Trevor takes them, and that accounts for the degree of difficulty posed by the offensive line he's been given. He has to do all of these: stay healthy and upright, find the open guys and stand tall, escape pressure or throw it away, and not throw picks. A lot to ask any QB but that's big boy NFL QB play and we need it if we want to win championships.

Freyaka
10-03-2017, 02:33 PM

Giants - Win

Bengals - Win.

Jets - W. I. N. Win

At Colts - Win.

I think you give the chiefs too much credit. They are beatable. They beat the patriots, which seems impressive until you realize that the patriots defense is the third worst defense through 4 games of the last 10 years (that means of the 32 team every year for the last 10 years, only two other teams have been worse on defense statistically than the pats) The chiefs are 4-0, but they are just narrowly escaping by the skin of their teeth with a win.

They are overhyped and overrated. Their offense revolves around hunt and we will shut him down. Their defense is highly suspect.

Buff
10-03-2017, 02:42 PM
I think you give the chiefs too much credit. They are beatable. They beat the patriots, which seems impressive until you realize that the patriots defense is the third worst defense through 4 games of the last 10 years (that means of the 32 team every year for the last 10 years, only two other teams have been worse on defense statistically than the pats) The chiefs are 4-0, but they are just narrowly escaping by the skin of their teeth with a win.

They are overhyped and overrated. Their offense revolves around hunt and we will shut him down. Their defense is highly suspect.

I couldn't possibly disagree with you any more. They are a veteran group with an innovative coach, a QB who minimizes mistakes, speed at RB and WR, a weapon for a TE - and one of the league's best pass rushers. Their DBs are solid. About the only thing working against them is that Berry is out for the year. They were underrated last year and they were underrated coming into the season. They can win on the road and have one of the best home field advantages...

They are absolutely beatable - not like some of the juggernaut #1 teams in years past... But they are also the most complete team in the NFL if you ask me. I'd be willing to bet they finish as a #1 or #2 seed, and then good luck beating them in Arrowhead in January.

I hate the Chiefs - but they have my respect.

VonDoom
10-03-2017, 03:07 PM
It's so hard to predict how any given team will be doing in a month or two, so this exercise is probably futile (though I can't say I haven't thought about it myself).

Mo is right - the stretch from the Chargers through Patriots is tough, and will probably define our season. The Chiefs game looks like a big time L, though I would love to see us surprise them.

I also agree with Buff here - I'd take 4-3 over these next seven games (up through the Raiders road game, I believe) and see where we stand at that point. There are some very winnable games in the back half of this schedule, provided nothing major happens before then (and it often does). I was counting on a win at Washington, for example, but they have impressed me a lot in the last couple of weeks - that won't be an easy game.

I think we're in the mix for a playoff spot if we can survive that middle of the schedule.

VonDoom
10-03-2017, 03:08 PM
I couldn't possibly disagree with you anymore. They are a veteran group with an innovative coach, a QB who minimizes mistakes, speed at RB and WR, a weapon for a TE - and one of the league's best pass rushers. Their DBs are solid. About the only thing working against them is that Berry is out for the year. They were underrated last year and they were underrated coming into the season. They can win on the road and have one of the best home field advantages...

They are absolutely beatable - not like some of the juggernaut #1 teams in years past... But they are also the most complete team in the NFL if you ask me. I'd be willing to bet they finish as a #1 or #2 seed, and then good luck beating them in Arrowhead in January.

Sadly, I agree with all of this. Though it would be incredible if they were the one seed and then lost their first home game - their playoff record historically is not good.

Buff
10-03-2017, 03:34 PM
One other quarter pole observation - I've been very pleased with the competency of this coaching staff. VJ is aggressive. The new offensive scheme is a throwback to the Manning days where we could attack teams multiple ways. The defense hasn't missed a beat. Not easy to step in and hit the ground running with such an established team, but they've done a great job.

wayninja
10-03-2017, 04:13 PM
One other quarter pole observation - I've been very pleased with the competency of this coaching staff. VJ is aggressive. The new offensive scheme is a throwback to the Manning days where we could attack teams multiple ways. The defense hasn't missed a beat. Not easy to step in and hit the ground running with such an established team, but they've done a great job.

Hmm... I may quibble over the word "aggressive" when describing VJ. He's made some aggressive moves (fake punt lolz), but our 4th quarters (other than a slanted Cowboys game) have had us playing extremely soft.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with the coaching, but aggressive simply isn't the word I'd use. I guess compared to Fox and Kubiak... ok.

NightTrainLayne
10-03-2017, 04:14 PM

I could nit-pick a couple of things on VJ (clock management probably being the biggest), but for a 1st-time head coach he has done a tremendous job. Any criticism is most likely a function of learning on the job.

Now we'll see how he navigates and utilizes a bye week. Hopefully we can tweak and fix a couple of things.

Buff
10-03-2017, 04:39 PM
Hmm... I may quibble over the word "aggressive" when describing VJ. He's made some aggressive moves (fake punt lolz), but our 4th quarters (other than a slanted Cowboys game) have had us playing extremely soft.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with the coaching, but aggressive simply isn't the word I'd use. I guess compared to Fox and Kubiak... ok.

I think we may not have defended leads very well, but there are indicators that I think are promising and hint towards an overall aggressive philosophy - fake punt in an unconventional spot, aggressively calling a timeout to preserve time at the end of the half (that turned out to be an error, which he admitted because he misjudged the yardage, but I appreciate his intentions there), going for it on 4th and short, staying aggressive on defense, etc.

Slick
10-03-2017, 05:31 PM
I think we may not have defended leads very well, but there are indicators that I think are promising and hint towards an overall aggressive philosophy - fake punt in an unconventional spot, aggressively calling a timeout to preserve time at the end of the half (that turned out to be an error, which he admitted because he misjudged the yardage, but I appreciate his intentions there), going for it on 4th and short, staying aggressive on defense, etc.

When did he go for it on 4th and short? I don't remember that.

I remember last game putting the offense out there twice, trying to draw the defense offside and ultimately taking a penalty and punting both times. Thinking to myself, that isn't very aggressive, Coach.

Buff
10-03-2017, 08:16 PM
When did he go for it on 4th and short? I don't remember that.

I remember last game putting the offense out there twice, trying to draw the defense offside and ultimately taking a penalty and punting both times. Thinking to myself, that isn't very aggressive, Coach.

I stand corrected, I think I was giving him credit for sending the offense out there on 4th... Perhaps I'm premature in praising his aggressiveness, but we've also been playing with leads and with the best defense in the league, and I have gotten an aggressive vibe from him between the fake punt and the willingness to calling timeouts to preserve time for his offense (plus competent and attacking offensive and defensive schemes).

BeefStew25
10-03-2017, 11:17 PM
We just need to jell

Freyaka
10-04-2017, 07:24 AM
I couldn't possibly disagree with you any more. They are a veteran group with an innovative coach, a QB who minimizes mistakes, speed at RB and WR, a weapon for a TE - and one of the league's best pass rushers. Their DBs are solid. About the only thing working against them is that Berry is out for the year. They were underrated last year and they were underrated coming into the season. They can win on the road and have one of the best home field advantages...

The Chiefs are a team that show up strong early. They won't be there come January... They will get their first loss this week and then I wouldn't be shocked if they drop 2-3 more with their upcoming schedule (steelers, raiders, broncos, cowboys) I think too many people have bought into the hype. I guess we'll find out in coming weeks if the hype is real, but I don't buy it.

This is what Kansas City does, they suck you into the hype with strong early games and then disapear midseason.

MasterShake
10-04-2017, 07:36 AM

I think my big complaints are red zone TD efficiency and special teams, both of which can be fixed. We have the personnel for both so it comes down to schemes and coaching which I am confident in. I remember being very high on getting Shanahan in here but I am more than impressed with Vance Joseph. Joe Woods was also a homerun, that dude is keeping Wade's basic concepts and putting in enough wrinkles to make it his own. He got a little cute in Buffalo but he learned from his mistakes. I can't even tell you how impressive the turnaround on run defense has been.

Offense - B
Defense - A
Special Teams - C
Coaching - A

I see room for improvement everywhere but no gaping holes that make me super nervous.

wayninja
10-04-2017, 09:49 AM
I'd probably swap special teams and offense on those grades, but otherwise agree.

MasterShake
10-04-2017, 11:46 AM
I'd probably swap special teams and offense on those grades, but otherwise agree.

Yeah I thought about it, but the running game and movement between the 20's is really good. The Red Zone issues can be fixed, but I am seeing more problems on special teams with penalties and missed Field Goals. I guess if I lumped in Pass Protection on the offense it would bump down to a 'C' as well.

wayninja
10-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Yeah I thought about it, but the running game and movement between the 20's is really good. The Red Zone issues can be fixed, but I am seeing more problems on special teams with penalties and missed Field Goals. I guess if I lumped in Pass Protection on the offense it would bump down to a 'C' as well.

Fair point. For some reason, I don't think of FG's as special teams, but you are right, they are. I guess I lumped those in with "offense" and took them away from ST's (which made me want to reverse your grades). Our punt/kick coverage has been really good, and we've had a few nice returns resulting in good field position.

MOtorboat
10-04-2017, 11:55 AM
The Chiefs are a team that show up strong early. They won't be there come January... They will get their first loss this week and then I wouldn't be shocked if they drop 2-3 more with their upcoming schedule (steelers, raiders, broncos, cowboys) I think too many people have bought into the hype. I guess we'll find out in coming weeks if the hype is real, but I don't buy it.

This is what Kansas City does, they suck you into the hype with strong early games and then disapear midseason.

I mean, I'd like to believe this, but the Chiefs are 16-2 in November and December the last two seasons.

Freyaka
10-04-2017, 12:58 PM
I mean, I'd like to believe this, but the Chiefs are 16-2 in November and December the last two seasons.

In 2015, they started the season 3-5. They clicked off a string of wins against an easy schedule to finish 11-5. Last year, the schedule was a bit more difficult, but with losses to the titans and bucs in November/December. They only decisively won one game (against us in Kansas City in December, we historically struggle at arrowhead in december) Most of those wins were less than a single touchdown. Yes, I understand a win is a win and you are right, that is their record during that time, but this talk of them being the top AFC team... They haven't hit the meat of their schedule yet, it's coming up, when they do, we'll see what they are really made of. I don't think they are the top team in the AFC. I don't think we are either, but I think that we've got a great chance of going into to KC and beating them and then following up at home.

They are a good team, but they aren't nearly as good as people think they are in my opinion. I've been wrong before, I can be wrong again, but that's how I feel about them.

Plus screw them, I hate those guys!

wayninja
10-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Hard to gauge abstract things like "how good they are" and "how good people think they are"

By the stats, they are a very good team.

By their record, they are the best team.

By the "eye" test, I personally feel they are one of the most complete teams in the NFL.

I don't think they are overrated. They are beatable, and I would be shocked if they went undefeated, but they deserve their 4-0 record and have had some solid performances.

sneakers
10-13-2017, 05:44 AM
Anyone shoot themselves in the leg?

Freyaka
10-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Anyone shoot themselves in the leg?

No one talib'ed that I know of.

Cugel
10-17-2017, 12:04 PM
No one talib'ed that I know of.

In fairness Aqib only shoots himself in the OFF-season! During the regular season he manages to keep his gun in the holster. Baby steps!

NightTrainLayne
10-17-2017, 01:21 PM

Giants - Win

Bengals - Win.

Jets - W. I. N. Win

At Colts - Win.

So. . . a course correction based on new information.

Giants - Loss

@ Chargers - Loss

@ Chiefs - Loss

@ Eagles - Loss

Patriots - Win

Bengals - Win

@ Raiders - Loss

@ Dolphins - Win

Jets - Win

@ Colts - Loss

@ Redskins - Loss

Chiefs - Loss

Predicted Record 7 - 9

Slick
10-17-2017, 02:38 PM

Giants - Loss

@ Chargers - Loss

@ Chiefs - Loss

@ Eagles - Loss

Patriots - Win

Bengals - Win

@ Raiders - Loss

@ Dolphins - Win

Jets - Win

@ Colts - Loss

@ Redskins - Loss

Chiefs - Loss

Predicted Record 7 - 9

That's pretty much where I am at his point.

@ Chargers- Win
@ Chiefs- Loss
@Eagles- Loss
Patriots- Loss
Bengals- Win
@ Raiders- Loss
@ Dolphins- they never play well there=Loss
Jets- Win
@Colts- Should win
@Redskins-Loss
Chiefs- Loss

7-9 possibly 6-10 or even as worse as 5-11 if they lose this Sunday

If they go 8-8 or better I will be shocked.

Buff
10-17-2017, 03:03 PM

Giants - Loss

@ Chargers - Loss

@ Chiefs - Loss

@ Eagles - Loss

Patriots - Win

Bengals - Win

@ Raiders - Loss

@ Dolphins - Win

Jets - Win

@ Colts - Loss

@ Redskins - Loss

Chiefs - Loss

Predicted Record 7 - 9

KC is the only team that is clearly better than us IMO. We match up poorly with the Patriots because we're not designed to exploit their weak defense - you hope home field is enough to tip the scales there.

My main concern is that IF we manage to lose the NYG game it's not out of the realm of possibility that we go 1-4 over the next five games and then the season starts to look a lot different. I would be happy with 3-3 over our next 6 games, which puts us at 7-4 heading into a softer part of our schedule.

I feel like there is a pretty wide range of outcomes for this team. It wouldn't shock me if we ended up at 11-5 or 8-8. But I think 9-7 or 10-6 feels more realistic.

Ugh - I hate overreacting to a single loss, but it really changed the trajectory of the whole season IMO. The defense will keep us in games, but now we're underdogs against the Chargers - suddenly look like the 3rd best team in our division, and could find ourselves in a tailspin if the injuries and losses continue to mount.

NightTrainLayne
10-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Ugh - I hate overreacting to a single loss, but it really changed the trajectory of the whole season IMO. The defense will keep us in games, but now we're underdogs against the Chargers - suddenly look like the 3rd best team in our division, and could find ourselves in a tailspin if the injuries and losses continue to mount.

Yeah, I try to keep the "never as good as your best win, never as bad as your worse loss" mantra in front of me, but even so, I can't see us as much better than an 8-8 team with this offense.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-17-2017, 05:52 PM
I still think the defense wins at least half the rest of our games for us. I see 9-7

Shazam!
10-17-2017, 06:54 PM
I still think the defense wins at least half the rest of our games for us. I see 9-7

If they go 9-7 after a 3-1 start, after being 9-7 last year, the Season was a failure. And I'm usually optimistic.

Timmy!
10-17-2017, 07:12 PM
I'm still at 10-6

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2017, 12:01 AM
Didn’t Joseph say last week they had the best Wednesday practice of the year?

VonDoom
10-18-2017, 06:45 AM

Yeah. I see it translated well to the game, right?

Freyaka
10-18-2017, 08:08 AM

Maybe our Wednesday practices should blow chunks going forward.

Hawgdriver
10-18-2017, 09:41 AM

Prior to one of my check rides in Pilot training I felt that I was near perfect. I was practicing like crazy and just nailing everything. I was also meditating at the time and everything just seem to be right on the money and balanced and centered. I felt my preparation was excellent and I was going to nail the flight.

So you know how the story ends...

Sometimes it ain't your day.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2017, 09:24 PM
Prior to one of my check rides in Pilot training I felt that I was near perfect. I was practicing like crazy and just nailing everything. I was also meditating at the time and everything just seem to be right on the money and balanced and centered. I felt my preparation was excellent and I was going to nail the flight.

So you know how the story ends...

Sometimes it ain't your day.

Monday you resonated and Tuesday you crapped the bed?

Hawgdriver
10-18-2017, 09:35 PM
Monday you resonated and Tuesday you crapped the bed?

When I made a mistake, in that very moment I asked myself wtf???? Dude... You crush this every. fricking. time.

wayninja
10-18-2017, 10:05 PM
When I made a mistake, in that very moment I asked myself wtf???? Dude... You crush this every. fricking. time.

for those of us that don't know the story...

NightTrainLayne
12-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I try to keep the "never as good as your best win, never as bad as your worse loss" mantra in front of me, but even so, I can't see us as much better than an 8-8 team with this offense.

Ala Slick, I'm bumping this thread.

I think we might be as bad as our worst loss.

Buff
12-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Speaking of this thread, I'm as surprised by the Chiefs total collapse as our own. They've lost 6 of 7 and their only win in that stretch was against us.

NightTrainLayne
12-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Speaking of this thread, I'm as surprised by the Chiefs total collapse as our own. They've lost 6 of 7 and their only win in that stretch was against us.

Cold comfort.

Slick
12-04-2017, 12:48 PM

Yeah, you were drinking the KC kool aid big time.

MOtorboat
12-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Yeah, you were drinking the KC kool aid big time.

So was I.