PDA

View Full Version : By the Numbers: Week 3

Freyaka
09-26-2017, 02:22 PM
It was really hard sitting down to do this for week three. I struggled to even get it written up, however, dejected and annoyed as I was by our outing, the show must go on. This is not the end of our season.

Offensively
Total Yards: 11th with 355.7 YPG
1st downs: 4th with 23/G
3rd down percentage: 1st with 52 pct (I figured this would come crashing down, but it only dropped 1 percent. We still moved the ball well, we just didn't finish drives this week)
Time of Possession: 5th with 32:32 (this one did trend down by a decent margin this week. Even as bad as we did, we were only 30 seconds off of a 50/50 split of time of possession vs the Bills)

Passing
Yards per game: 20th with 212.17 YPG
Touchdowns 4th with 6
1st downs: 14th with 36 pass plays resulting in a first down
1st down %: 14th with 36% of all passes resulting in a first down.
20+ yards: 7th with 12 (shocked to see us this high)
40+ yards: 15th with 1
Sacks allowed 12th with 9
QB rating 19th with 87.5
QB Hits: 13th with 18 (starting to look like maybe our o-line is doing better than we think)

Rushing
Yards Per Game: 3rd with 143.0
Touchdowns 7th with 3
1st downs: 2nd with 25 runs resulting in a first down
1st down %: 7th with 25.5 percent of all runs resulting in a first down.
20+ yard runs: 3rd with 3
no runs of 40+

Special Teams
Kick Return Average: 2nd with 28.4
Punt Return Average: 4th with 14.0

Defensively
Total Yards: 4th with 263 YPG
3rd down %: 3rd with 29
Defensive TOP: 4th with 27:28
Sacks: 17th with 7 (this goes hand in hand with the issues I'll highlight under passing defense)

Passing
Average Yards: 10th with 203 YPG
TD's allowed: 31st with 7 (this should be throwing up two warning signs...1st. The number of touchdowns combined with the low yardage tells us we're giving up a short field frequently, often due to turnovers and 2nd. Our pass defense isn't stopping TD's anymore. Neither of these are positive signs)
Interceptions: 3 (another troubling sign. We aren't turning the ball over anymore. Without the consistent pressure on the QB, the No Fly Zone looks more like the "Where would you like to fly today zone"

Rushing
Average Yards: 1st with 59.7 YPG (this is the bright spot. These are legit numbers considering the RB's we've faced so far. If we can get a pass rush going, this defense is going to get itself back on track and be a powerhouse)
1st down %: 1st with only 11.6 percent of rushing attempts ending in a first down (only 8 ground first downs allowed)
TD's 1st: We have not allowed a rushing TD this season through three games.

Sorry for not going as in depth this week, feel free to add any stats I missed, but I'm crunched for time today. Looking at week 3 vs week 2, there are still promising changes to note, especially the jump to 1st overall rush defense. We've actually improved in several important categories, and we didn't decline in nearly as many as you would have expected coming out of a poor showing.

Shazam!
09-26-2017, 04:43 PM
You know there are sites that list all this right.

Freyaka
09-26-2017, 05:58 PM

Of course there are, I got most of this from nfl.com But this is a weekly series I do compiling everything into one thread for easy viewing. It's also a place where people can add their own stats and discussions.

wayninja
09-26-2017, 06:34 PM

Yeah, it's called right ******* here.

Poet
09-26-2017, 08:31 PM
Frey likes to play around with the numbers and look at them from different ways. It's like outlining for a class. Good stuff Frey.

too bad all yo numbers don't mean shit if I disagree with them1111!!1

Freyaka
09-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Frey likes to play around with the numbers and look at them from different ways. It's like outlining for a class. Good stuff Frey.

too bad all yo numbers don't mean shit if I disagree with them1111!!1

Someone's just jelly of my mad statistician skills!

Poet
09-26-2017, 09:09 PM
Someone's just jelly of my mad statistician skills!

I'm sure someone is...I'm not sure why they would be, though.

Davii
09-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Of course there are, I got most of this from nfl.com But this is a weekly series I do compiling everything into one thread for easy viewing. It's also a place where people can add their own stats and discussions.

Appreciate the info Frey, saves a ton of time and digging for everyone.

Freyaka
09-26-2017, 09:34 PM
From a poster on the reddit version of this post

Total DVOA: 8.2% (13th)
Offensive DVOA: 3.1% (15th)
Defensive DVOA: -10.7% (9th)
Special Teams DVOA: -5.5% (28th) (this lends credence to the short field issue regarding defensive TD's allowed)
Football Outsiders: Week 3 DVOA rankings (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2017/week-3-dvoa-ratings)

Poet
09-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Second to last prong - that isn't true for the last game, though, is it?

Freyaka
09-26-2017, 09:38 PM
Second to last prong - that isn't true for the last game, though, is it?

It's from the week three games so, I would assume so.

Poet
09-26-2017, 10:15 PM
I mean to say that in the last game, did they not literally give up most of the points in the second half on a short field? I know the Bills got one drive that went the distance in like 4 plays.

Freyaka
09-26-2017, 10:19 PM
I mean to say that in the last game, did they not literally give up most of the points in the second half on a short field? I know the Bills got one drive that went the distance in like 4 plays.

Mo was trying to use the lack of total yards to defend our pass defense, while throwing shade on the offense. It's like "uh dude, if they have a short field, and it results in a TD, that means that A. Pass D didn't do their job and B. the total yards stat, it's going to be low due to having a short amount of yardage to travel"

It was a slap to the face of both the defense who couldn't stop Tyrod from completing passes, and the offense who put them in a bad field position. Blame deserves spread evenly over the toast that is our team like peanut butter and jelly.

wayninja
09-26-2017, 10:26 PM
I still feel like the defense allowed us to stay in the game and the offense just simply couldn't muster shit in the 2nd half. The defense doesn't get a pass, but they did ok. We are a bit spoiled with this D, so we notice a big slide when they have a below average day.

Freyaka
09-26-2017, 10:29 PM
I still feel like the defense allowed us to stay in the game and the offense just simply couldn't muster shit in the 2nd half. The defense doesn't get a pass, but they did ok. We are a bit spoiled with this D, so we notice a big slide when they have a below average day.

The offense did ok in the second half...The problem is we'd click off 2-3 first downs, then Trevor would run backwards and it would be 2nd and 20, or we'd get a penalty and it'd be 1st and 20 and we'd basically stall out. This is not an offense that can dig themselves out of a hole. Even if it's 1st and long, it's not likely we'll convert. 10 yards or less, we tend to find a way, 10+, forget about it.

Poet
09-26-2017, 10:52 PM
THe offense was really bad in the second half. And I jsut mean offense - I don't put the fake punt on them. The offense couldn't score. I think MO's point was that they got one long drive on the defense, and then a team that can run and throw the ball with it's QB got to play balls deep on us. I'ts hard to do that for the entire length of the field. The defense wasn't why we lost. They were at least a C-. IDK. I think we want to believe in TS so we'll tell some narratives to make up the difference between the offense and the defense.

Freyaka
09-26-2017, 11:01 PM
THe offense was really bad in the second half. And I jsut mean offense - I don't put the fake punt on them. The offense couldn't score. I think MO's point was that they got one long drive on the defense, and then a team that can run and throw the ball with it's QB got to play balls deep on us. I'ts hard to do that for the entire length of the field. The defense wasn't why we lost. They were at least a C-. IDK. I think we want to believe in TS so we'll tell some narratives to make up the difference between the offense and the defense.

I don't blame the defense, but I don't blame the offense, it was a team effort. It just seems to me that without a consistent pass rush, our pass defense is barely serviceable right now. Our run defense is outstanding, but teams can do just as much defense if you can't stop them from passing as they can by running. The key is gettnig to a point where we are a bit more balanced.

We also do need to stop turning the ball over. We are not getting turnovers this year, so turning the ball over more times than you get it back is always trouble.

Poet
09-26-2017, 11:04 PM
We scored three points in the second half, and the offense set up the defense to fail. I don't think we can blame anything but the offense. It's hard to pin the pass rushers loose when we're on short fields and have to respect the run, don't have a lead, and the defense is gassed. I get what you're saying, though. We'll see how it plays out.

wayninja
09-26-2017, 11:21 PM
I don't blame the defense, but I don't blame the offense, it was a team effort. It just seems to me that without a consistent pass rush, our pass defense is barely serviceable right now. Our run defense is outstanding, but teams can do just as much defense if you can't stop them from passing as they can by running. The key is gettnig to a point where we are a bit more balanced.

We also do need to stop turning the ball over. We are not getting turnovers this year, so turning the ball over more times than you get it back is always trouble.

I dunno. Any way you slice it, 16 points just typically isn't good enough to win games in the NFL. Scoring 16 and asking your defense to keep them less than this at home, on multiple short fields is just lopsided.

NightTerror218
09-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Of the 7 passing TD against our defense I think 4 came directly off turnovers

Freyaka
09-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Of the 7 passing TD against our defense I think 4 came directly off turnovers

Admittedly, those need to be greatly reduced. We have the perfect formula to win a lot of games. We have the number 1 rushing defense and the number 1 rushing attack. Normally if you control both stats, you are a dominate team. The problem is, the turnovers and poor pass defense have basically negated the advantage we get from being able to control the ground game.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-28-2017, 04:06 PM

We lost because of turnovers. Had the turnover battle been even I’m confident we would have won. We outgained them by close to 100 yards. Trevor needs to stop throwing off his back foot, it’s a bad habit

Joel
09-29-2017, 04:59 PM
We lost because of turnovers. Had the turnover battle been even I’m confident we would have won. We outgained them by close to 100 yards. Trevor needs to stop throwing off his back foot, it’s a bad habit
No QB in history's ever done that by choice. This is why I say drafting a franchise QB before drafting protectors ensures he develops bad habits. All young QBs must learn the positions professional form; if they learn crap protection is normal, by the time they get decent protection it may be too late to "unteach" their bad habits.

See: Plummer, Jake.

Jsteve01
09-30-2017, 01:20 AM
No QB in history's ever done that by choice. This is why I say drafting a franchise QB before drafting protectors ensures he develops bad habits. All young QBs must learn the positions professional form; if they learn crap protection is normal, by the time they get decent protection it may be too late to "unteach" their bad habits.

Excellent point. It's the old cart before the horse argument as it plays out with offensive line. Think Prescott is as solid as he's been the past two years without a good run game and all Pros lined up in front of him? Let's just guess at what would have happened if David Carr or Tim Couch had had strong offense of line play in front of them. When you get hit in the mouth every single time you drop back you definitely develop Happy Feet you don't run through your progressions the way that you should.

I Eat Staples
09-30-2017, 01:46 AM

You gotta watch Will Grier at West Virginia. He throws passes like he's shooting a fadeaway jumpshot a lot of times even with no pressure. It's really weird. Good player though.