PDA

View Full Version : Menelik worse week 2 than awful week 1

Decuceoupe02
09-19-2017, 07:40 AM
And not Bolles is out for a while....man the O-line wont give Trevor time to look deep.

weazel
09-19-2017, 09:35 AM
http://www.learn-english-online.org/

Timmy!
09-19-2017, 09:38 AM
:lol:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-19-2017, 12:11 PM
http://www.learn-english-online.org/

Somebody is dropping deuces on the English language.

Cugel
09-19-2017, 12:34 PM
The problem with Watson is that he sucks at pass protection. But, he's excellent at run blocking. The whole OL is a premier run blocking unit, as they've demonstrated so far. But, none of them are excellent at pass-protection. Bolles is clearly the most talented of them, and now he's hurt and Barber is your new starting LT.

No, I have no idea why Donald Stephenson is even on the roster if they can't use him when the starting LT goes down. It's looking like it was a mistake to cut Schofield. No, I do not have short-term memory loss that enables me to forget what Schofield did in laying a giant deuce on the field in pass-protection. But, they need somebody, and if they're not going to use Stephenson, then what's he doing on the roster? Why not keep someone they will use?

NightTerror218
09-19-2017, 01:19 PM
The problem with Watson is that he sucks at pass protection. But, he's excellent at run blocking. The whole OL is a premier run blocking unit, as they've demonstrated so far. But, none of them are excellent at pass-protection. Bolles is clearly the most talented of them, and now he's hurt and Barber is your new starting LT.

No, I have no idea why Donald Stephenson is even on the roster if they can't use him when the starting LT goes down. It's looking like it was a mistake to cut Schofield. No, I do not have short-term memory loss that enables me to forget what Schofield did in laying a giant deuce on the field in pass-protection. But, they need somebody, and if they're not going to use Stephenson, then what's he doing on the roster? Why not keep someone they will use?

Leary had a perfect pass protection game against Dallas. Allowed no pressures on Siemian.

Magnificent Seven
09-19-2017, 02:24 PM
I think they should cut OT Watson. Keep Donald Stephenson off the field. Put Barbre and McGovern in for now.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Did you see that running play where Leary trucked the pile and moved it forward for 3 yards. That dude is a man amongst boys

weazel
09-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Did you see that running play where Leary trucked the pile and moved it forward for 3 yards. That dude is a man amongst boys

I work with a Cowboys fan... he wasn't in yesterday and is quiet today. He is upset that the Broncos have Leary though

broncofaninfla
09-19-2017, 03:59 PM
Barber actually looked good filling in for Bolles after he went out. No doubt about it though, Watson is a huge liability in pass protection but is a very good run blocker. Maybe they can scheme to help him out this season? Not sure but I doubt Elway trades for anybody and there isn't a viable replacement free agent out there. As bad as Watson is, Stephenson is ten fold worse. He is a HUGE liability any time he is on the field.

CrazyHorse
09-19-2017, 10:48 PM
Stephenson at RT for now. When Bolles comes back back Barbre moves to RT? Are the positions that more than unique than learning the blocking assignments?

Simple Jaded
09-20-2017, 12:29 AM
Two weeks in and we're already anointing this OL a premier run blocking unit?

VonDoom
09-20-2017, 08:28 AM

I don't know about all that. I will caution people not to think that the OL is "solved" with such a small sample size, though. Remember way back to weeks 1 and 2 of last year? We ran the ball really well. Take a look:

2016 (first 2 games): 60 carries, 282 yards, 4.7 YPC
2017 (first 2 games): 75 carries, 318 yards, 4.24 YPC

We fell off a cliff soon after that. So let's see if we can keep this up this time around. Having a big injury on the line already will be a test, starting this week.

Freyaka
09-20-2017, 08:33 AM

Premier may be a bit much, but we're leading the lead by a good margin in rush yards. This unit's pretty darn good against two tough front 7's

BroncoJoe
09-20-2017, 08:35 AM
I don't know about all that. I will caution people not to think that the OL is "solved" with such a small sample size, though. Remember way back to weeks 1 and 2 of last year? We ran the ball really well. Take a look:

We fell off a cliff soon after that. So let's see if we can keep this up this time around. Having a big injury on the line already will be a test, starting this week.

When did Anderson get hurt last year?

weazel
09-20-2017, 08:59 AM
I think the line is better at run blocking this season but I'm not going to start freaking out like everyone else just yet. Anderson will also slow down or get injured like he does, here's hoping Booker has something.

VonDoom
09-20-2017, 09:26 AM
When did Anderson get hurt last year?

Week seven, I think. We were pretty much terrible from that point on running the football. I just mean that even with CJ in there, we started off great in weeks one and two, and were bad in the next couple of weeks. We need to be consistent before we declare that it's working.

BeefStew25
09-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Did you guys know Orlando Franklin is a free agent?

weazel
09-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Did you guys know Orlando Franklin is a free agent?

Verizon kiosk?

Hawgdriver
09-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Verizon kiosk?

Nah, Office Depot...his customer service is off the charts, fam.

BeefStew25
09-20-2017, 10:37 AM
He was a guard. I guess he signed with the saints this summer and lasted all of 5 days. Ouch.

Joel
09-20-2017, 11:28 AM
IF the line prevents gang tackles, CJ will be healthy; if not, not. You can't drop half a ton of humanity on a guy a couple dozen times each week and expect him to last more than a couple months. It was the same with Ball, Moreno and McGahee; the only notable exception was Hillman, who avoided multiple hits by the simple expedient of collapsing on the spot on the very first hit. Pretty straight forward, and old news.

Put me down as a fan of Garcia-->McGovern and Watson-->Barbre; the pass protection couldn't possibly be worse, and the run blocking looks like it would be comparable.

BroncoJoe
09-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Week seven, I think. We were pretty much terrible from that point on running the football. I just mean that even with CJ in there, we started off great in weeks one and two, and were bad in the next couple of weeks. We need to be consistent before we declare that it's working.

Well see, for sure.

Last year, we opened against Carolina with 148 yards rushing, Indy with 134. Then, against Cincinnati, Tampa, Atlanta and the Chargers, we got 52, 89, 84 and 84 respectively.

This year, through two games it's been 140 and 178.

I'm not too worried, but we need more games before being excited or throwing in the towel for sure.

Freyaka
09-20-2017, 12:07 PM

You bring up a good point, HOWEVER, to counter that point. The first two games of last season were against defenses that were poor against the run. This years numbers were against legitimate run stoppers.

You may still be right in this instance, but that's just something additional to consider.

Joel
09-20-2017, 12:43 PM
You bring up a good point, HOWEVER, to counter that point. The first two games of last season were against defenses that were poor against the run. This years numbers were against legitimate run stoppers.

You may still be right in this instance, but that's just something additional to consider.
The Cowboys D isn't a "legitimate" anything, except maybe charity case: Again, it's Sean Lee+DeMarcus Lawrence+9 JaGs. They gave up the least rushing yards last year, but that's only because they allowed the least rushing attempts, which was in turn because their OFFENSE averages just under 4TDs/gm and blew out opponents by an average margin of almost 2 TDs. Meanwhile, their rushing Ds average PER ATTEMPT was an 11th best 3.9 yds, or about a ball-length below the 4.2 NFL average.

Let's revisit this during the bye (i.e. ¼ of the way through the season) or, better yet, Week 9 (i.e. halfway.) Right now it's impossible to be sure.

Cugel
09-20-2017, 12:44 PM
They got stronger up front, so of course they're better at running the ball. Watson is a seriously large person. But, this does not translate to better in pass-protection of course.

Watson is the weak link on this unit. He's actually a worse tackle than Barbre at LT. At least so far, we haven't seen Barbre against Justin Houston or Kalil Mack yet. That should be unfun.

Broncoknight30
09-22-2017, 03:26 PM
If we take a look around the league, it sure seems OL is a common problem. Does anyone recall so much poor OL play? Ask the Giants etc. I think there is a real possibility that the lack of practice time due to the relatively new CBA may have real effects on the OL. I don't know where I heard that this week, but I think it is true. It is really reflecting on poor OL play all around the league.

We may also need to realize that in this hard cap era, it is literally impossible to be great at every aspect of a team. Bottom line is this team is on top of the league with rushing offense, and the Broncos are averaging 33 points per game.

If this team could average over 25, there is a distinct possibility this could be a super bowl team.

Joel
09-22-2017, 08:46 PM
If we take a look around the league, it sure seems OL is a common problem. Does anyone recall so much poor OL play? Ask the Giants etc. I think there is a real possibility that the lack of practice time due to the relatively new CBA may have real effects on the OL. I don't know where I heard that this week, but I think it is true. It is really reflecting on poor OL play all around the league.

We may also need to realize that in this hard cap era, it is literally impossible to be great at every aspect of a team. Bottom line is this team is on top of the league with rushing offense, and the Broncos are averaging 33 points per game.

If this team could average over 25, there is a distinct possibility this could be a super bowl team.
There's been some discussion of that here and elsewhere the past few seasons, but I'm more persuaded by arguments it's the radical difference between pro and amateur football. Most college teams have always run more than the pros and still do, and good college teams can usually count on beating up on nearly their whole conference, which secures the bowl berth that keeps the coaches employed (even if their bowl opponent blows them out by 50.)

All that lets college teams get away with sandlot offense demanding no more of "blockers" than just knocking over whoever's in directly in front of them. That garbage won't "fly" in the pros (just ask Chip Kelly) where EVERYONE'S an elite athlete who doesn't just play and practice seat-of-their-pants football for a few years in between classes and parties, but eats, sleeps and breathes PROFESSIONAL systematic football for a decade or more.

The gap between college and pro blocking may be larger than ever, hence all that spread and other amateur idiocy works great for the few college teams loaded with recruiting talent their conference "rivals" can never hope to match, but fails miserably in the parity-rich NFL world.

While we're on the subject, something's been bothering me for a while. Maybe it's just me and I'm slow to notice, but the big thing that's leaped out at me the past few years is how consistently NFL blockers on pass plays lean back with their hands at their hips until the snap, but take a classic three-point stance on running plays. And if I've noticed from my couch, you can bet NFL DCs have noticed from the sideline and film room.

CrazyHorse
09-25-2017, 01:29 AM
Elway has missed with his offensive line signings. Okung, Stephenson, Watson. Same with the draft with Sambrailo, and Schofield. If Watson continues to play like he has I see no reason why Stephenson shouldn't start, especially considering their salary. Trading for a tackle doesn't sound like terrible idea at this point.

Shazam!
09-25-2017, 10:58 AM
Trading for a tackle doesn't sound like terrible idea at this point.

Other than dialing up Cleveland and we know they wont part with Thomas, I see few options out there.

Joel
09-25-2017, 01:33 PM
There are always decent FA Gs, because hardly anyone values them, in turn because their strengths tend to be in the neglected run game and their pass protection issues are more easily compensated for since the best pass rushers are usually facing OTs. However, OTs themselves are becoming like QBs for many of the same reasons: The need and thus demand is so high across the league that no one willingly parts with even an average one

Because the bottom line is still that no one likes the frustrating interminable and unreliable search for a franchise QB, but everyone can find themselves doing so all over again even AFTER they find a legit QB if they don't have protection to keep him physically and mentally healthy long enough to mature into the next Rodgers. Spending a top five pick on a QB is a blown pick without quality protection, and it almost doesn't MATTER how good the QB is/n't. How much has Luck (ever) done without a line? How good do Derek Carr and Daks line make them? A lot better than DAVID Carrs line made him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-29-2017, 08:55 AM
Elway has missed with his offensive line signings. Okung, Stephenson, Watson. Same with the draft with Sambrailo, and Schofield. If Watson continues to play like he has I see no reason why Stephenson shouldn't start, especially considering their salary. Trading for a tackle doesn't sound like terrible idea at this point.

John had some misses, and he’s had some wins too.

Leary, Bolles, and Jaded’s Adopted Bronco Paradis.

Jaded, if you don’t think Paradis is the best center in the game say something today!

VonDoom
09-29-2017, 01:06 PM
John had some misses, and he’s had some wins too.

Leary, Bolles, and Jaded’s Adopted Bronco Paradis.

Jaded, if you don’t think Paradis is the best center in the game say something today!

I see what you did there :beer: