PDA

View Full Version : McCoy and players talk about the offense

Tned
09-18-2017, 07:48 AM
Real good article with lots of quotes on NFL.com.

Here's some of the quotes from McCoy and players.

Quote from McCoy:

"We should have put up 50," McCoy said, flashing an ice-cold glare. "Look, I want to score every single time we have the ball, and then I want to score some more -- that's my mentality, and that's how I approach it. I love our defense, and they're capable of carrying us, but I'm trying to give them as much of a cushion as I can. So I'm going to try to get the ball in the end zone, until (head coach Vance Joseph) tells me to stop."

And DT talking about McCoy:

"Oh man -- how do you want me to even start?" asked receiver Demaryius Thomas, who helped torment an undermanned Cowboys secondary with six receptions for 71 yards. "Mike is super-aggressive. He knows how to outscheme people, and he's trying to put up as many points as he can. He wants the players to come to him during the game and tell him what we think will work. If we bring it to him and he sees it, he'll try it."

And CJ:

"In the other scheme, it was, 'we're gonna run what we run,'" Anderson said of Kubiak's system. "This one is, 'we're gonna put our athletes in the best position to make plays.'"

Harris calling out the world, and Broncos Country about his dawg, Trevor:

"They better stop sleeping on my dawg -- Broncos country included," said Harris, whose deployment at safety confused the Cowboys early in the game. "Trevor is a great quarterback. As long as you give him time, he's gonna dot you up. Don't even get me started."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000847373/article/mike-mccoys-broncos-offensive-makeover-on-display-in-win

Joel
09-18-2017, 01:10 PM
More seriously, and nothing against CJ, I still think Kubiak "ran what we ran" BECAUSE he was putting our players in the best position to succeed, despite the limited options our line allowed. We couldn't air it out downfield nor run the patented Broncos stretch play because our blocking couldn't hold together long nor move well enough: We needed plays that develop very quickly, before our tissue paper line shredded, so lots of dink and dunk passing complemented by runs up the gut and off tackle.

Yes, drafting a 1st round OT and adding not one but TWO FAs from elite lines changes that dynamic radically (even if Watson looks like a swindle so far.)

Tned
09-18-2017, 02:04 PM
More seriously, and nothing against CJ, I still think Kubiak "ran what we ran" BECAUSE he was putting our players in the best position to succeed, despite the limited options our line allowed. We couldn't air it out downfield nor run the patented Broncos stretch play because our blocking couldn't hold together long nor move well enough: We needed plays that develop very quickly, before our tissue paper line shredded, so lots of dink and dunk passing complemented by runs up the gut and off tackle.

Yes, drafting a 1st round OT and adding not one but TWO FAs from elite lines changes that dynamic radically (even if Watson looks like a swindle so far.)

No, Kubiak, who I loved as a player and as an OC in his first stint, was and is a one trick pony. Look at the '05 AFCCG. The Broncos have zero running game, and in the third quarter, trailing badly and he's still running play action.

With the Broncos lack of pass protection last year, he should have moved to shotgun heavy, quick hitting scheme. He was not willing to do so, instead he kept running the ball with no success and saying after the game, "we should be able to run. We need to be able to run."

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 02:10 PM
So the key all along was running more of the shit that didn't work and less of the other shit that didn't work?

Broncos fans logic.

Tned
09-18-2017, 02:20 PM
So the key all along was running more of the shit that didn't work and less of the other shit that didn't work?

Broncos fans logic.

Can someone translate Jaded for me? :confused:

Freyaka
09-18-2017, 02:21 PM
"They better stop sleeping on my dawg -- Broncos country included," said Harris, whose deployment at safety confused the Cowboys early in the game. "Trevor is a great quarterback. As long as you give him time, he's gonna dot you up. Don't even get me started."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000847373/article/mike-mccoys-broncos-offensive-makeover-on-display-in-win

Chris Harris just put those of you still holding out on notice! :D

Valar Morghulis
09-18-2017, 02:23 PM

Yeah sure, he said something about peko Jr, the shit gun and being a basrerd coated basterd

Tned
09-18-2017, 02:23 PM
Chris Harris just put those of you still holding out on notice! :D

I loved that. He pretty much called out the fans who have been oblivious to what's in front of their eyes and trashing Siemian. Harris putting them fans on notice.

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 02:25 PM

That's your logic, suppose you 'splain?

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 02:26 PM
Yeah sure, he said something about peko Jr, the shit gun and being a basrerd coated basterd

You get me.

Tned
09-18-2017, 02:37 PM
That's your logic, suppose you 'splain?

I didn't say anything close to your condescending snark.

I said that Kubiak did not adjust to his players strengths and weaknesses. He has one scheme and one only, which is run and play action. If the run doesn't work, then he's dead in the water. He didn't adjust and create a quick hitting offense to compensate for his line's in ability to pass block.

When your QB is routinely getting less than 2.5 seconds, often less than 2.2 seconds to pass, you can't keep calling slow developing plays. Kubiak did.

Joel
09-18-2017, 03:36 PM

Broncos fans logic.

I said that Kubiak did not adjust to his players strengths and weaknesses. He has one scheme and one only, which is run and play action. If the run doesn't work, then he's dead in the water. He didn't adjust and create a quick hitting offense to compensate for his line's in ability to pass block.

When your QB is routinely getting less than 2.5 seconds, often less than 2.2 seconds to pass, you can't keep calling slow developing plays. Kubiak did.
Which were those, the slow developing quick outs and slants that had everyone screaming Siemian's too noodle-armed to throw deep and Kubiak too spineless to let him, or the slow developing runs up the gut and off tackle that had everyone screaming how unimaginative, predictable and obsolete Kubiaks playbook is? I mean, the Cowboys went to the opposite extreme in the second half yesterday: They didn't even TRY to run the REIGNING NFL RUSHING CHAMP, just pass, pass, pass, and when it consistently fails just pass s'more. Garrett's such a predictable obsolete idiot. His playcalls surely had nothing to do with the situation on the field, right?

Guess it's lucky for us all I took those Jaded as a Second Language classes. ;)

Tned
09-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Which were those, the slow developing quick outs and slants that had everyone screaming Siemian's too noodle-armed to throw deep and Kubiak too spineless to let him, or the slow developing runs up the gut and off tackle that had everyone screaming how unimaginative, predictable and obsolete Kubiaks playbook is?

As usually, your analysis falls short.

BroncoWave
09-18-2017, 03:50 PM
I'm a little surprised to see CJ put Kubes on blast like that. I'm glad he's supporting his current coach, but I don't know that the dig at Kubes was necessary. I mean, he did get a ring under Kubes' coaching.

Tned
09-18-2017, 04:03 PM
I'm a little surprised to see CJ put Kubes on blast like that. I'm glad he's supporting his current coach, but I don't know that the dig at Kubes was necessary. I mean, he did get a ring under Kubes' coaching.

Yes, even though it's the truth and anyone watching knows it, I agree, he could have just talked up McCoy and what they are doing now, without tearing Kubiak's flaws.

MOtorboat
09-18-2017, 05:05 PM

Broncos fans logic.

15 carries for 84 yards out of the shotgun: 5.6 yards per carry.

#mustrunfromundercenter
#shitgun
#runningfromshotgunworks
#stophesalreadydead

Tned
09-18-2017, 06:03 PM

#mustrunfromundercenter
#shitgun
#runningfromshotgunworks
#stophesalreadydead

So, the exact same thing we did last year? Maybe you can translate those two guys points for me, MO, cause I don't get it. :confused:

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 07:13 PM

#mustrunfromundercenter
#shitgun
#runningfromshotgunworks
#stophesalreadydead

Draw plays are the future.

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 07:14 PM
So, the exact same thing we did last year? Maybe you can translate those two guys points for me, MO, cause I don't get it. :confused:

You've got to run moar, pass moar and playcall moar than last year...but only the shit didn't work.

MOtorboat
09-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Draw plays are the future.

Poor Jaded.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/a/a9/Abraham_Simpson.png/revision/latest?cb=20151011181838

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 07:17 PM

You said they're doing more 3-wide, more shotgun, more play calling. Shit that the Broncos literally did last year, they actually, physically did those very things. A lot.

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 07:19 PM
Poor Jaded.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/a/a9/Abraham_Simpson.png/revision/latest?cb=20151011181838

They're still running from under center, and I'm not a petulant child about playcalling, so I'll be ok.

Tned
09-18-2017, 07:21 PM
You said they're doing more 3-wide, more shotgun, more play calling. Shit that the Broncos literally did last year, they actually, physically did those very things. A lot.

OK. Where did the Broncos rank in terms of plays from shotgun?

MOtorboat
09-18-2017, 07:22 PM
They're still running from under center, and I'm not a petulant child about playcalling, so I'll be ok.

They are. At 3.7 yards per clip.

#cantrunoutoftheshotgun
#mustrunfromundercenter

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 07:22 PM
OK. Where did the Broncos rank in terms of plays from shotgun?

I don't know.

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 07:25 PM

#cantrunoutoftheshotgun
#mustrunfromundercenter

Btw, I said (and so did McCoy) that it limits your run game, and it does. To glorified draw plays.

MOtorboat
09-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Btw, I said (and so did McCoy) that it limits your run game, and it does. To glorified draw plays.

Cool story.

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Cool story.

Maybe I should post it in blog form to hold your attention better?

MOtorboat
09-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Maybe I should post it in blog form to hold your attention better?

I'll hold you when it hurts.

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 07:32 PM
I'll hold you when it hurts.

You tell the sweetest lies, you're cold as ice.

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 07:41 PM
You tell the sweetest lies, you're cold as ice.

You're willing to sacrifice our love, MO.

MOtorboat
09-18-2017, 07:45 PM
I probably don't take advice.

Simple Jaded
09-18-2017, 07:48 PM
Someday you'll pay the price. I know.

WARHORSE
09-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Someday you'll pay the price. I know.

Just a spectator.......but

Ive seen it before, it happens all the time.....

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-18-2017, 08:41 PM

#cantrunoutoftheshotgun
#mustrunfromundercenter

Those numbers are skewed because short yardage situations are always done from under center.

MOtorboat
09-18-2017, 09:38 PM
Those numbers are skewed because short yardage situations are always done from under center.

No. That's false. Denver had nine runs in 2nd or 3rd down and three or less yards. Six were from shotgun. Three were from under center.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-18-2017, 09:40 PM
No. That's false. Denver had nine runs in 2nd or 3rd down and three or less yards. Six were from shotgun. Three were from under center.

I'm referring specifically to 3rd and 1. But the truth is I care not one way or the other.

MOtorboat
09-18-2017, 09:41 PM
I'm referring specifically to 3rd and 1. But the truth is I care not one way or the other.

Denver didn't have any 3rd and 1s against Dallas. They had three runs from second and 1, 1 from shotgun, 2 from under center.

:whoknows:

MOtorboat
09-25-2017, 05:08 PM
Jaded's favorite weekly segment at BF:

Against Buffalo
Shotgun rushing: 12 rushes, 91 yards, 7.6 YPC
Under-center rushing: 11, 20, 1.8
Total: 23, 111, 4.8

Season total
Shotgun rushing: 36, 220, 6.11
Under-center rushing: 62, 209, 3.37
Total: 98, 429, 4.38

Simple Jaded
09-25-2017, 10:06 PM
Jaded's favorite weekly segment at BF:

Against Buffalo
Shotgun rushing: 12 rushes, 91 yards, 7.6 YPC
Under-center rushing: 11, 20, 1.8
Total: 23, 111, 4.8

Season total
Shotgun rushing: 36, 220, 6.11
Under-center rushing: 62, 209, 3.37
Total: 98, 429, 4.38

This is how blogs are born.

Poet
09-25-2017, 10:19 PM
I love running out of the shotgun.

Timmy!
09-26-2017, 12:11 AM
MoAr fake punts from our own 30!&@&@++?!

Broncoknight30
09-26-2017, 07:48 AM
MoAr fake punts from our own 30!&@&@++?!

The part that really annoyed me about that is there was room to the right for a 747 to land. De'Angelo Henderson runs into the line where it was pretty much stuffed. In the beginning I was impressed with Henderson. Especially at TC where he was making nice catches etc.

However, as preseason went on, I grew more and more discouraged with his play. He fumbled at least once, and I had read where that was a problem with him in college. He was consistently getting stuffed and there were holes for him to run to. Then that very thing happened on Sunday during that fake punt.

I hope someone can get a Gif or a video of that and upload it to see.

BroncoJoe
09-26-2017, 08:48 AM

You can't run, King.

Freyaka
09-26-2017, 09:42 AM

I miss running...And bike riding...

Poet
09-26-2017, 04:37 PM
You can't run, King.

I can run better than you can grow hair on your head, insolent *******!

BroncoJoe
09-26-2017, 05:42 PM
I can run better than you can grow hair on your head, insolent *******!

Post reported. Savage.