PDA

View Full Version : The Ringer: Siemian using lessons learned from Manning

VonDoom
09-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Saw this nice little piece today on our QB1:

“I knew Trevor had a little moxie in one of the first quarterback meetings in the room with him,” says Greg Knapp, Denver’s quarterback coach from 2013–16. “I’ve been around a couple other guys in the room with Peyton who were college free agents or late draft picks, and guys get intimidated. Even for a coach it can be intimidating to be in a room with Peyton. He’ll challenge you, and he’s a bulldog about it.

“I won’t say exactly what he said, but Peyton threw a zinger at Trevor, and it was incredible to hear how Trevor spit one back in Peyton’s face. And I’m going, I love this. Mr. Manning, you’ve got a little bit of a challenge with this rookie. Trevor doesn’t get intimidated easily.”

Siemian laughed at the memory: “That’s funny Knapp remembers that. We had a great room and a good back and forth. Maybe a little too much.”

If it came down to habits, Siemian benefited greatly from playing behind Manning in 2015, the veteran’s last season. Siemian observed Manning taking copious notes on material simple and complex alike, so he, too, took up the habit and started filling up notepads with concepts he was already familiar with, in chicken scratch handwriting only he could read.

“It’s something I still do,” Siemian says. “Being in the same room with a guy that’s done it really, really well for a number of years. If it worked for him, I figured it might work for me. You process things a little better when you put pen to paper. I still write down too much. It’s just kind of a habit I’ve started myself.”

When Siemian arrived at training camp in a competition with Lynch, he was able to direct teammates on the finer points while Lynch was still putting down a base of knowledge in a new offense. McCoy watched Siemian tutor teammates in meetings with a focus on being accountable to execute assignments on any given play.

“There are days you’re with the ones, days you’re with the twos, and he did a good job of leading in every situation,” McCoy said. “In the meetings he’s great, saying to guys this is what we’re expecting on this play. This is where you need to be in this situation.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/12/trevor-siemian-denver-broncos-nfl-week-1-peyton-manning?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Canmore
09-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Nice article.