PDA

View Full Version : Chargers/Broncos highs and lows

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-12-2017, 11:54 AM
What were the bright spots and low spots we can take away from last nights game as week look forward?

Highs-

Spinnin' Siemian; he flat out balled. He was showing good arm talent last night. I was impressed with some of the tight windows he fit passes into.

Secondary-
The No Fly Zone is as good as every. Roby is a luxury as a #3. Stewart looks explosive at SS. The play where he exploded from the opposite side of the box to stop the RB for a short gain was impressive, and Gordon is quick to the edge. It would have likely been a long gain otherwise. I don't know if TJ could have closed that fast.

Run Blocking-
We managed 140 yards on the ground with 4.0 ypc from both Charles and Anderson. This is impressive considering how good the Chargers front seven is.

Run defense- We were looking like the run defense of 2015 last night holding the Sparklers to 3.0 ypc.

We should be able to compete with anyone this year if we can run the ball and stop the run.

Lows-

Pass protection
Still needs a lot of work. I know Watson wiffed a lot last night, but you can't leave a RT one on one with a speed guy like Ingram. I put that issue as much on coaching as on Watson. There were also numerous times where Siemian couldn't step into the pocket when Watson was pushing Ingram wide because of the inside push, so he would have step wide which would result in huge losses.

Pass rush-

I know our pass rush was good last night. However it wasn't elite and I believe the Chargers was better (Bosa, Ingram, Luiget). We really need an inside rusher combined with the return of Shane Ray to be the best again.

What say you Bronco nation?

BroncoWave
09-12-2017, 11:57 AM
I don't know that I agree that the no fly zone was "as good as ever". They burnt us a few times. Not that they still weren't good overall, but it wasn't their best game. I was actually happier with the run D overall.

slim
09-12-2017, 12:14 PM
I don't know that I agree that the no fly zone was "as good as ever". They burnt us a few times. Not that they still weren't good overall, but it wasn't their best game. I was actually happier with the run D overall.

River's had like 70 yards passing early in the 4th quarter. He didn't do anything until the offense started coughing it up and gave them short fields to work with.

Mike
09-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Some blown coverages late in the game are concerning. Harris in particular had a rough game.

I would add that 3rd down conversions were great. Keep that up.

21 points by the offense is good enough to win a lot of games this year. Keep that up.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2017, 12:30 PM
As far as the secondary, I think a lot of it was Roby. He made some nice plays, but he was called for PI twice (and could've been on his INT which would've been 3 times) and it was actually him who gave up the big play to Benjamin. Everyone saw Stewart giving chase, but that was Roby's man. Roby got crossed up and jumped on the underneath route which was already covered by the nickle/slot corner and just allowed Benjamin to run by him untouched. There was no way Stewart (who was playing center field at the time) could get over there in time. Roby had a shitty game that looked okay based on an INT that was PI and a nice pass breakup late in the game.

Roby has always been a risk/reward player. He gambles a lot and he holds/interferes way more than he's called on it. He's a good corner, but he plays in extremes. Either he gets a pick or gets a penalty.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-12-2017, 12:52 PM
As I saw it:

Highs:
-The running game. It wasn't awesome, but it was effective enough for the Chargers D to have to respect it which opened up play action.
-Siemian. He played a good, solid game for the most part. That near pick early was a terrible decision and even though I appreciated the moxie, he needs to stop going head first if he decides to run. He's not Cam Newton. Even Aaron Rodgers throws it away or slides. I don't want to see Brock so Siemian needs to stay healthy. He spread the ball around and got more than DT and ES involved which made a huge difference. He was in charge and made good decisions pre-snap in most cases.
-the run defense. Much improved line play from last year. There just weren't a lot of holes to run through and guys were attacking the ball carrier.

Needs work:
-pass protection. McCoy and Siemian need to communicate if Watson is getting beaten repeatedly and need to change protections. The Chargers were chipping Von and Shaq all night. Why don't we do that? It seemed that we still can't learn to help out a guy who's struggling on an island. Same problem as last year. It also was evident when Leary went out. Lots of inside pressure which made Ingram's and Bosa's jobs easier once McGovern came in. Luiget and Mebane were blowing by McGovern every play. If it looked like Siemian was under more pressure late in the game, it's because he was. Bolles did a very good job vs some great DEs though. He looks like a keeper.
-playcalling late. I absolutely hate it when we kill our own momentum by taking our foot off the gas. The offense and playcalling were working. Why stop your own momentum? Just because you don't want to make a mistake to let the other team back in it doesn't mean you stop doing what's working. We got conservative and still turned the damned ball over.

Hawgdriver
09-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Woods is a fine DC.

Gotsis is disruptive. Lead team in tackles. Think on that.

Shelby Harris played 33 of 59 snaps and held the Changers to 64 yards rushing on 22 attempts. This guy is legit and the best rookie so far outside of Bolles.

Shaq is baq.

I want to see Jano get more targets and carries, I'm sure one week or another we'll see that.

36 rush / 28 pass seems right.

This is a playoff-caliber team if the O line can jell.

VonDoom
09-12-2017, 01:44 PM
As far as the secondary, I think a lot of it was Roby. He made some nice plays, but he was called for PI twice (and could've been on his INT which would've been 3 times) and it was actually him who gave up the big play to Benjamin. Everyone saw Stewart giving chase, but that was Roby's man. Roby got crossed up and jumped on the underneath route which was already covered by the nickle/slot corner and just allowed Benjamin to run by him untouched. There was no way Stewart (who was playing center field at the time) could get over there in time. Roby had a shitty game that looked okay based on an INT that was PI and a nice pass breakup late in the game.

Roby has always been a risk/reward player. He gambles a lot and he holds/interferes way more than he's called on it. He's a good corner, but he plays in extremes. Either he gets a pick or gets a penalty.

At least one of the PI calls on Roby was BS. I'd have to watch again to confirm. That being said, he didn't have a great game, and I think it did impact the secondary as a whole. Rivers was clearly targeting him (rather than throw at Harris and Talib, which is what we call a wise decision). And you are correct on the long TD - that was Roby's man and he messed that up. He's going to have to expect to be picked on as the "weak link" out there and hopefully embrace that.

underrated29
09-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Woods is a fine DC.

Shelby Harris played 33 of 59 snaps and held the Changers to 64 yards rushing on 22 attempts. This guy is legit and the best rookie so far outside of Bolles.

Shaq is baq.

I want to see Jano get more targets and carries, I'm sure one week or another we'll see that.

Shelby is not a rookie. Pretty sure he was drafted by the raiders 1 or 2 years ago in the 5th round.
You are correct that he is a badass though. Reminds me of Malik. Glad we have him and glad we started him. He is waaaaaaay better than Crick!

Hawgdriver
09-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Shelby is not a rookie.

This is what you get when you don't pay for Premium Hawg.

NightTerror218
09-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Good was offense moving the ball. Defense was good as well.

Bad were a couple Siemian throws. Jamaals fumble. Few Watson blocks.

Von was good double teamed or triple teamed and still got close to rivers he had to hurry. Basically took TE or RB out of offense if they have to,put additional man on him.

I like how our ground game and run defense is better. Decnese is a step back. There is less pressure on QB and secondary is not same imo without ward. Like I said before he set a tone with the defense and was the fiery headed leader.

I wanted to see more deep passes from Siemian but that could have been play calling. Not a lot of shots down field. But 3rd down conversions percentage was awesome and our line lokks much improved.

underrated29
09-12-2017, 02:41 PM
This is what you get when you don't pay for Premium Hawg.

Sounds Dreamy!
I want to pay for some of that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-12-2017, 03:23 PM
Woods is a fine DC.

Shaq is baq.

I'm glad you mentioned Gotsis. He looked both disruptive and strong at the point of attack last night. He is looking like he might prove to be better than where he was drafted

Buff
09-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Highs: Sergio Dipp, Latimer, Gotsis, Fowler, Siemian, Bolles, Marshall, Davis, Barrett.

I liked the look of the new offense - we didn't seem to be telegraphing run or pass in our formations, good variety and balance. Easy to take for granted that the running game looked good - it's been such a struggle in recent years that I was really encouraged by our productivity and talent in the backfield. Charles clearly still has burst - but I worry about his durability and ball security. We need to find a way to keep him involved without asking too much of him... I feel like I've seen that exact late game fumble in a critical spot out of him many times over the years.

That late throw from Siemian to Green was one of those clutch conversions we missed last year. Overall, better 3rd down efficiency, which I think also ties in with the offensive scheme and Siemian's experience. Even when we were misfiring, I didn't get the feeling like we were beating our heads against a wall like I did at times under Kubiak's offense. Good gameplan.

Really happy with Barrett's production after missing all of the preseason. I worried quite a bit about him starting slow with Ray on the shelf.

Lows: McManus, Watson, Jamaal Charles' pants, 2nd half defense, Rex Ryan

The combination of turnovers on offense and bad defense in the 2nd half was pretty alarming - looked like we might manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Credit to Woods for keeping the defense aggressive - Rivers never looked comfortable even when he was slinging it in the 2nd half.

I'm not sure if this goes in highs or lows - but as much as I love to hate Rivers, it's fun how he always brings that fire with him. I tipped my cap to him on that deep ball to Benjamin.

nevcraw
09-12-2017, 06:53 PM
Not yet mentioned - (either oversite or people still mad about ward)Simmons balled out. He was at the ball every freaking play. An inch higher with helmet and he would have caused a fumble on the touchdown dive.