PDA

View Full Version : Uh-Oh Menelik Watson

Decuceoupe02
09-12-2017, 11:42 AM
I watched Melvin destroy Watson all night long, and I saw him get beat badly a couple of times in the pre-season. I am VERY concerned to what Mack (Twice), Houston (twice), Pierre-Paul, and others will do to that edge going forward.... YIKES

NightTrainLayne
09-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Hey, JWalk's back!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Leaving a speed rusher one on with a RT is generally a bad idea. The Chargers were smart enough to chip Von all evening. Von had zero sacks on the night

slim
09-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Hey, JWalk's back!

Thank God!!!

Buff
09-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Stink was saying his footwork looked pretty bad and it was alarming to see him lose the leverage game so badly a couple times.

BeefStew25
09-12-2017, 12:05 PM
It's like he was wearing ballet slippers.

Devilspawn
09-12-2017, 07:00 PM
You're welcome, guys. :elefant:

He wasn't abysmal with us but wasn't that good nonetheless. I thought his injury history held back his potential. Turns out his potential is held back by not being there.

OrangeHoof
09-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Chipping Von was the right thing for SD to do but it opened Barrett to one sack and at least one hurry.

BigDaddyBronco
09-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Stink was saying his footwork looked pretty bad and it was alarming to see him lose the leverage game so badly a couple times.

He was talking this morning about how Menelik had additional edge protection from a RB, but allowed the edge rusher to roll back inside and get pressure. Stink thought this was unacceptable and was a mental error. At least it's mental and technique and not a physical limitation, there is some hope.

Hawgdriver
09-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Polumbus today said, essentially, they need to replace Watson via trade or something major. Footwork was horrendous, giving examples of crossovers and just things that NFL O-linemen should never do.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-13-2017, 11:48 AM
He was talking this morning about how Menelik had additional edge protection from a RB, but allowed the edge rusher to roll back inside and get pressure. Stink thought this was unacceptable and was a mental error. At least it's mental and technique and not a physical limitation, there is some hope.

Maybe it's rust. It's the first game he's played in a quite a while

Valar Morghulis
09-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Maybe it's rust. It's the first game he's played in a quite a while

Maybe it's just the fact he's terrible

topscribe
09-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Or engineering boots . . .

topscribe
09-13-2017, 01:39 PM
Chipping Von was the right thing for SD to do but it opened Barrett to one sack and at least one hurry.
And it's been a year since Shaq has even been on the field, practice or games. Pretty encouraging . . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Maybe it's just the fact he's terrible

Your accent is terrible

Valar Morghulis
09-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Your accent is terrible

You're terrible

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-13-2017, 02:13 PM
You're terrible
Somewhere a kitty just cried

Valar Morghulis
09-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Somewhere a kitty just cried

Was it WTE's?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-13-2017, 02:18 PM
Was it WTE's?

Yes

Ziggy
09-13-2017, 02:34 PM

And it's been a year since Shaq has even been on the field, practice or games. Pretty encouraging . . .

Shaq had 1 sack and 6 QB pressures. Looks like he's rounding into shape well.

dogfish
09-13-2017, 04:43 PM

Or engineering boots . . .

split the difference and call it rollerskates?

in any case, he sucks. . . we may be stuck with him, though. . . we sure as hell don't have any quality options to replace him internally. . . i love the idea of a trade as much as anyone, but freakin' everyone needs more decent O-tackles-- it's not like there are a lot of usable ones available, and anybody who does happen to have one is going to ask a premium when guys like russell ocrap and andrew whitworth's corpse got paid like they did this past off-season. . . hell, we got a 5th for samfrailo, and i don't think he can play at all. . . what's it's gonna cost for a guy who's an upgrade from watson?

it's a total seller's market, even for dudes who are way over the hill, or just plain not very good. . . which is why i'd be totally cool with them going back for another OT with our first pick next year. . . it's getting so tough to find legitimately good linemen-- they're worth their weight in gold in today's NFL. . . i hope to hell they can get bowles' pass pro cleaned up, because you gotta love his mentality. . .

Cugel
09-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post

Not ballet slippers, ice skates. Slippers don't slide backward as easily as Watson did. He's got skate blades on his cleats.

broncofaninfla
09-14-2017, 01:15 PM
Watson was owned during the preseason and that trend continued in game 1. Rock solid run blocker but HUGE liability on pass protection.

NightTerror218
09-14-2017, 03:27 PM
Watson was owned during the preseason and that trend continued in game 1. Rock solid run blocker but HUGE liability on pass protection.

Ingram and bosa are top shelf rushers, lets see what happens when a lesser DE comes at Watson. Bad coaching decision to not chip on his side. Bolles did great for 1st official start.

Joel
09-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Ingram and bosa are top shelf rushers, lets see what happens when a lesser DE comes at Watson. Bad coaching decision to not chip on his side. Bolles did great for 1st official start.
I forgot where in these threads, but one of our regulars quoted a commentator (Polumbus?) saying they DID give Watson some help chipping: It just did no good. :(

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-14-2017, 04:20 PM
I forgot where in these threads, but one of our regulars quoted a commentator (Polumbus?) saying they DID give Watson some help chipping: It just did no good. :(

I watched the same game Polumbus did. They gave him help in the first half, but not much at all in the second.

Canmore
09-14-2017, 04:50 PM
split the difference and call it rollerskates?

in any case, he sucks. . . we may be stuck with him, though. . . we sure as hell don't have any quality options to replace him internally. . . i love the idea of a trade as much as anyone, but freakin' everyone needs more decent O-tackles-- it's not like there are a lot of usable ones available, and anybody who does happen to have one is going to ask a premium when guys like russell ocrap and andrew whitworth's corpse got paid like they did this past off-season. . . hell, we got a 5th for samfrailo, and i don't think he can play at all. . . what's it's gonna cost for a guy who's an upgrade from watson?

it's a total seller's market, even for dudes who are way over the hill, or just plain not very good. . . which is why i'd be totally cool with them going back for another OT with our first pick next year. . . it's getting so tough to find legitimately good linemen-- they're worth their weight in gold in today's NFL. . . i hope to hell they can get bowles' pass pro cleaned up, because you gotta love his mentality. . .

Agreed.Just look at the Dallas offensive line.

MOtorboat
09-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Shaq had 1 sack and 6 QB pressures. Looks like he's rounding into shape well.

...Russell Okung...

Man, so glad they drafted Bolles instead of paying him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-14-2017, 09:08 PM
...Russell Okung...

Man, so glad they drafted Bolles instead of paying him.

Indeed. I thought he did an exceptional job against Bosa.

Joel
09-15-2017, 10:19 AM
. . . which is why i'd be totally cool with them going back for another OT with our first pick next year. . .Agreed.Just look at the Dallas offensive line.
Ya'll just straight up trollin' me now. :(