PDA

View Full Version : Didnt get to watch the game live but...

Northman
09-12-2017, 04:57 AM
I woke up about 1am needing to take a piss. Being on the east coast the time of the game last night was just WAY to late for an old man like me (I miss being in my 20's....). But, i did wake up enough to catch Harris block the last second FG attempt by the Chargeless. Just got done looking at some of the highlights and here are some of my takeaways.

1) Looking at the box score i was a bit disappointed we blew a 24-7 lead. But from what NFL.com was saying it seems that Vance went into a bit of a conservative mode going into the fourth but that would be a learning experience for him. Can anyone elaborate more on that or confirm that? Obviously, its hard to keep a guy like Phyliss down for long anyway but im hoping going forward VJ just lets the offense be the offense.

2) The INT by the Chargers seems like blatant PI to me as the defender was draped all over the receiver. Anyone else feel like that also?

3) Siemian looked REALLY good. Granted, im only going by highlights but holy **** his passes had some zip. Even the rollout TD pass was very nice as well as the TD run.

4) After the TD run by Siemian the team mobbed him, that was GREAT to see. The team seems to really like him and have rallied around him which is what you want. If things like this progress more for Trevor i dont see Paxton ever taking the reigns or any QB at this point.

5) Sanders- The one highlight i saw was him catching a pass and running like 50 yds just for a 10 yd first down. No complaint, just thought it was funny but its Sanders doing Sanders things which makes him special.

Im going to read some of the gameday thread now but its probably not going to give me any in depth analysis as everyone is watching the game live so my question for you is this. What did you take away from the game? I know its only one game but did it show you anything different in terms of Trevor, the defense, play calling, etc? Does the team seem like it can compete for the division and/or a championship this year? Do you think we just got lucky against one of the lesser teams in the division? Where are your thoughts at?

Valar Morghulis
09-12-2017, 05:46 AM
I think McCoy returned to the ravens play of loss for his strategy in the fourth.

Both dt and Sanders had drops

Right tackle is a problem

Will we win the Superbowl.... No, but we will be difficult for a lot of teams

Bolles impressed me the most

Hardly any offensive holding penalties

Charles did a Charles thing

Tned
09-12-2017, 07:03 AM
I woke up about 1am needing to take a piss. Being on the east coast the time of the game last night was just WAY to late for an old man like me (I miss being in my 20's....). But, i did wake up enough to catch Harris block the last second FG attempt by the Chargeless. Just got done looking at some of the highlights and here are some of my takeaways.

1) Looking at the box score i was a bit disappointed we blew a 24-7 lead. But from what NFL.com was saying it seems that Vance went into a bit of a conservative mode going into the fourth but that would be a learning experience for him. Can anyone elaborate more on that or confirm that? Obviously, its hard to keep a guy like Phyliss down for long anyway but im hoping going forward VJ just lets the offense be the offense.

2) The INT by the Chargers seems like blatant PI to me as the defender was draped all over the receiver. Anyone else feel like that also?

3) Siemian looked REALLY good. Granted, im only going by highlights but holy **** his passes had some zip. Even the rollout TD pass was very nice as well as the TD run.

4) After the TD run by Siemian the team mobbed him, that was GREAT to see. The team seems to really like him and have rallied around him which is what you want. If things like this progress more for Trevor i dont see Paxton ever taking the reigns or any QB at this point.

5) Sanders- The one highlight i saw was him catching a pass and running like 50 yds just for a 10 yd first down. No complaint, just thought it was funny but its Sanders doing Sanders things which makes him special.

Im going to read some of the gameday thread now but its probably not going to give me any in depth analysis as everyone is watching the game live so my question for you is this. What did you take away from the game? I know its only one game but did it show you anything different in terms of Trevor, the defense, play calling, etc? Does the team seem like it can compete for the division and/or a championship this year? Do you think we just got lucky against one of the lesser teams in the division? Where are your thoughts at?

It was Sanders being Sanders, but I think if he hadn't taken that circle route, they wouldn't have gotten the first down. If he just turned it up field, he would have been short.

VonDoom
09-12-2017, 07:07 AM
Fowler got mugged on the INT. Should have been called.

We also went into turtle mode after getting the lead. The first play when we needed to pass again was the big pass to Green.

spikerman
09-12-2017, 07:48 AM
By rule, you can't have DPI behind the LoS. You could make the argument that it was holding, but I'd need to see more replays.

Tned
09-12-2017, 07:49 AM
By rule, you can't have DPI behind the LoS. You could make the argument that it was holding, but I'd need to see more replays.

There appeared to be enough pulling on the jersey that Fowler was turned about 1/4 or so way around from the pull on the jersey. He appeared to be clearly hindered by the jersey pull, but maybe that was hidden to the officials.

VonDoom
09-12-2017, 08:11 AM

I saw people on Twitter saying that he was at or beyond the LOS, but I didn't bother to study it that closely. Fowler was being dragged down from behind before the ball got there, though. Something should have been called.

Mike
09-12-2017, 08:24 AM
It was a blatant missed call and changed the game. Unacceptable. I also didn't care for the PI against Roby to put the Chargers in field goal position at the end of the game.

I hated the conservative playcalling in the second half. I would have loved to have seen them call for a long shot to DT after the big 4th down stop. DT was beasting after his drop, so what do we do? Turtle up. I also didn't care for the playcalling down when they were inside the 10 when they had to settle for a field goal.

RT is a major problem and Garcia isn't far behind.

Was surprised at the lack of pass rush most of the game and the blown coverages.

There is some stuff to fix, but this is a team that can be worked with.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-12-2017, 08:26 AM

I thought it was holding at the time. He was grabbing him and pulling him down before the ball got there.

VonDoom
09-12-2017, 08:29 AM
It was a blatant missed call and changed the game. Unacceptable. I also didn't care for the PI against Roby to put the Chargers in field goal position at the end of the game.

I've been thinking about the Roby call as well. His hand glanced the receiver's helmet, which I guess is why they called it, but it was kind of a cheap call. It didn't impact the receiver in any way, if I remember correctly.

BigDaddyBronco
09-12-2017, 10:03 AM
I've been thinking about the Roby call as well. His hand glanced the receiver's helmet, which I guess is why they called it, but it was kind of a cheap call. It didn't impact the receiver in any way, if I remember correctly.

He was falling already before the hand hit the helmet. Incidental contact.

Davii
09-12-2017, 10:22 AM
He was falling already before the hand hit the helmet. Incidental contact.

Even the sparkler fans behind us called BS on it.

spikerman
09-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Yeah, at first blush I did not think that was DPI. There has to be some material effect on the play. Roby touched him, he didn't affect the receiver's efforts to try to get to the ball. I thought it was a missed call.

NightTrainLayne
09-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Yeah, at first blush I did not think that was DPI. There has to be some material effect on the play. Roby touched him, he didn't affect the receiver's efforts to try to get to the ball. I thought it was a missed call.

And Roby was totally playing for the ball. Just no way that call should have been made imo. Luckily all's well that ends well.