PDA

View Full Version : What could have Sloter done to make the 53?

ShaneFalco
09-04-2017, 11:52 PM
My Answer. Nothing.

Organizations value high pick busts more.

He took over when Lynch got hurt and looked better then Lynch.

Didnt matter if he threw 7 tds or not.

He was not picked in the first round.

Davii
09-04-2017, 11:56 PM
My Answer. Nothing.

UDFA's stick around in Denver every year, this didn't have anything yo did with draft position. They hoped he'd make it through to the PS, they were wrong. Shit happens...

What could he have done? Look better in practice against the starting D? Have the first quarter of the last game go as well as the last 3? Make himself 6' 9"?

ShaneFalco
09-04-2017, 11:58 PM
What could he have done? Look better in practice against the starting D? Have the first quarter of the last game go as well as the last 3? Make himself 6' 9"?

Then why is Lynch on the roster?

He looked awful this preseason and in practice against the starting D.

Draft position should not matter to Elway, i dont know why it does.

So many players have proved why draft position does not matter.

Davii
09-05-2017, 12:03 AM

He looked awful this preseason and in practice against the starting D.

Draft position should not matter to Elway, i dont know why it does.

So many players have proved why draft position does not matter.

You watched practice? All things are not equal in the games. I'm no fan of PL, and I wanted Sloter to stick around, but his undrafted status had nothing to do with it.

Elway gambled and lost.

You're right about your last part, a lot have proven it doesn't matter. Ask Chris Harris.

ShaneFalco
09-05-2017, 12:15 AM
You watched practice? All things are not equal in the games. I'm no fan of PL, and I wanted Sloter to stick around, but his undrafted status had nothing to do with it.

Elway gambled and lost.

You're right about your last part, a lot have proven it doesn't matter. Ask Chris Harris.
i actually am a fan of Lynch.

But he is only on this 53 because of draft position. Along with Cody Latimer.

dogfish
09-05-2017, 12:41 AM
not suck so much. . . i am reliably informed that he's obviously not good enough to be on a roster, or he would be. . .

Northman
09-05-2017, 05:07 AM
Answer: Nothing

Sloter admitted that Elway and company told him he was expendable because Oz came on the market. Whether right or wrong the Broncos felt that Oz was more important to the team than he was. Its just good that the Vikings seem to want to give him a chance and i hope he can take advantage of it.

BroncoWave
09-05-2017, 06:36 AM
Trevor Siemian is proof that Elway gives late round/undrafted QBs a chance. That is a bad take and you should feel bad for making it!

To answer the question, had he played in camp against our starters like he did in the preseason against scrubs, he probably makes the team. Camp reports about him were not good. It's great to light up the preseason, but when you are playing against scrubs playing in a base package it's hard to put THAT much stock in it. Lynch had a good preseason last year. Tom Brandstater killed it in the preseason here. I've just seen too many shitty QBs look good in the preseason to put a lot of stock in it, and I'm sure Elway has too.

ShaneFalco
09-05-2017, 06:59 AM
"its preseason argument". Lynch sucked in preseason against the same people Sloter blew up.

I have seen QBs have good games in preseason before. What i saw from Sloter, reminded me of when i saw Russel Wilson so many years ago in a preseason game with on point ball placement. Who is this guy? Then he became starter by winning preseason games. But sloter has an even better arm.

Will he ever get the mental aspect? with 1 year experience? Maybe... maybe not. But he is a prospect with legit upside. Compared to the Qbs on the Broncos roster currently.... well except Chad kelly. :)

Stokely pretty much brings up the same point on his show. Sloters preseason was special. But they didnt bother evaluating him as a backup.

http://1043thefan.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10014192&sid=1148&n=Stokley+and+Zach

Its about draft status. It always has been. Seen it so many times.

Tned
09-05-2017, 07:28 AM
Bottom line, there is nothing Sloter could have done, other than maybe lit it up against Denver defense during training camp.

If Lynch hadn't gotten hurt, then there is a chance that Sloter's preseason play might have forced the Broncos to carry three QBs, the way Siemian's play did in '15, but once Lynch got hurt, then that possibility went out the window. I doubt there was anything that Sloter could have done to convince the front office that he could be Siemian's backup for 3-6 weeks while Lynch was out with an injury.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-05-2017, 07:44 AM
Other than pulling a Tonya Harding on Siemian, probably nothing. For some reason, and it's been that way since Shanahan, we only carry 2 QBs on the roster (usually we have one on the PS too) unless one gets hurt. I know roster space is valuable, but carrying 6 WRs and 4 TEs, most of which are scrubs, has always kinda baffled me. STs I guess.

BroncoWave
09-05-2017, 07:48 AM
Other than pulling a Tonya Harding on Siemian, probably nothing. For some reason, and it's been that way since Shanahan, we only carry 2 QBs on the roster (usually we have one on the PS too) unless one gets hurt. I know roster space is valuable, but carrying 6 WRs and 4 TEs, most of which are scrubs, has always kinda baffled me. STs I guess.

It's 100% because of special teams. Backup QBs eat up a roster spot and can do absolutely nothing but sit on the bench. You obviously have to have one backup in case the starter goes down, but keeping 3 is tougher. In general, it's better to use that roster spot on a guy who can contribute on ST than on a guy who will literally never see the field barring a total disaster (at which point your team is probably screwed regardless).

I definitely see the logic in not keeping 3 guys. There will always be a FA out there you can sign in a pinch if needed who probably is just as good as whomever you would have kept as the #3 guy.

Dapper Dan
09-05-2017, 07:54 AM
We have a 4th rounder and a 6th rounder starting on the OL. We traded away a 2nd rounder. By your logic, that shouldn't have happened.

BroncoWave
09-05-2017, 07:57 AM
We have a 4th rounder and a 6th rounder starting on the OL. We traded away a 2nd rounder. By your logic, that shouldn't have happened.

And a 7th rounder starting at QB, and an UDFA starting CB. And by all accounts we cut Ward to be able to keep the UDFA Carter. The whole "he didn't get a chance because he was undrafted" narrative is stupid.

ShaneFalco
09-05-2017, 09:11 AM

for giraffes its different. sam wasnt a giraffe

ShaneFalco
09-05-2017, 09:12 AM
The whole "he didn't get a chance because he was undrafted" narrative is stupid.

Then why are you still posting in the thread?

Shazam!
09-05-2017, 09:17 AM
The important question is let us see how he does in Minny. IF he truly is the secind coming, he should start there immediately yes?

At least hes not in the AFC.

Tned
09-05-2017, 09:18 AM
for giraffes its different. sam wasnt a giraffe

Can you post in a manner that is comprehensible?

ShaneFalco
09-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Can you post in a manner that is comprehensible?

7 ft tall QBs.

Northman
09-05-2017, 09:21 AM
It's 100% because of special teams. Backup QBs eat up a roster spot and can do absolutely nothing but sit on the bench. You obviously have to have one backup in case the starter goes down, but keeping 3 is tougher. In general, it's better to use that roster spot on a guy who can contribute on ST than on a guy who will literally never see the field barring a total disaster (at which point your team is probably screwed regardless).I definitely see the logic in not keeping 3 guys. There will always be a FA out there you can sign in a pinch if needed who probably is just as good as whomever you would have kept as the #3 guy.I would think it would be easier to pick up a guy for special team needs than to find a decent Qb on the fly. Your argument actually works against you there.

ShaneFalco
09-05-2017, 09:22 AM
I would think it would be easier to pick up a guy for special team needs than to find a decent Qb on the fly. Your argument actually works against you there.

"just a stupid narrative"

:salute:

Plenty of Brandon Weedens to grab in the world North! Not many decent backups....

We men of the north have to stick together. Winter is here.....

Freyaka
09-05-2017, 09:30 AM
My Answer. Nothing.

Shane...get over it. If we valued high value picks more, guys like Harris, B-Marsh, ect... wouldn't be here and we wouldn't have a 7th round draft pick as our starter. Sloter didn't make the cut because we didn't have enough roster spaces and they didn't feel comfortable carrying him as a backup QB. Period... There is no grand conspiracy here, no failure on the FO part.

He was a 3rd string QB, who showed promise in the future, but had not yet faced real adversity against real opponents (1 team). He was raw and not yet ready to lead a team which is why they had hoped he'd end up on our PS.

Freyaka
09-05-2017, 09:33 AM

Because cutting him would cost us about 4 million in dead cap penalties. Basically had we cut him, we'd lose most of the money we'd gained from cutting ward. That's why he's still on the roster, because it would cost us too much money to cut him this year.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-05-2017, 09:52 AM
The important question is let us see how he does in Minny. IF he truly is the secind coming, he should start there immediately yes?

At least hes not in the AFC.

So, like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers did? C'mon absolutes in anything football related are just ridiculous. Sloter could be (and probably is) better physical talent wise than anyone on the MN roster but he's not going to magically start over Sam Bradford after one week of being signed to the PS. Remember, no Sloterites were saying he should be our starter, just that him being retained over guys like Lynch and Oz would've been prudent based on his obvious physical talents and Preseason play.

BroncoWave
09-05-2017, 10:06 AM
I would think it would be easier to pick up a guy for special team needs than to find a decent Qb on the fly. Your argument actually works against you there.

Except you almost never need a third string QB. You always need special teamers. I'd rather the last roster spot go to a guy who can definitely contribute every week over a guy who might play in a disaster scenario. And like I said, if you do get down to the third string QB, you're screwed regardless if you kept some scrub on your roster as a third stringer or if you have to sign one off the street.

Joel
09-05-2017, 11:40 AM
And a 7th rounder starting at QB, and an UDFA starting CB. And by all accounts we cut Ward to be able to keep the UDFA Carter. The whole "he didn't get a chance because he was undrafted" narrative is stupid.
That's a whole other kind of "outside the box, inside the asylum" thinking, but yeah. And Tned's right that Lynchs contract (including its fifth year option) makes a difference; we were never cutting Lynch when it meant a multi-million dollar cap hit, especially when we knew from the outset he was a project player. It's certainly ironic to think an injury to one QB made another LESS likely to make the team, but the reality is that we were always going to try PSing Sloter and the better he played in preseason the less likely that was to succeed. It sucks and I personally think we'll regret refusing to keep him as a 3rd QB on the 53, but no one knows the future.

weazel
09-05-2017, 11:43 AM
it would have been nice to have Sloter on the PS but unfortunately it didn't happen... not much to get worked up about, really.

Cugel
09-05-2017, 11:52 AM
UDFA's stick around in Denver every year, this didn't have anything yo did with draft position. They hoped he'd make it through to the PS, they were wrong. Shit happens...

But, he DID make it through to the practice squad. He cleared waivers. It's just that the Broncos wanted to offer him the league minimum for Practice Squad Players - $7,000 a game for every game he's on the roster.

The Vikings offered him $20,000 a game this season, or $320,000. The Broncos offered $115,000 a difference that is over $200,000 a year.

Now $200,000 would be a TON of money for ME. I'd gladly work a year for $200,000. But, for NFL teams it's not even tip money. The Broncos have a $165,000,000 budget for player salaries this season and this doesn't even include the money they pay the staff from Elway down to the trainers.

They simply do not believe that Sloter has a future in the NFL as a starter. Nobody else really does either or he would be on somebody's active roster right now. Because they sure as hell did not let him go because he was making too much money.

The league rookie minimum for active roster players is $465,000. The Broncos did not want to pay that much because Sloter has no future. That's how they see it. Money talks and B.S. walks.

Cugel
09-05-2017, 12:01 PM
That's a whole other kind of "outside the box, inside the asylum" thinking, but yeah. And Tned's right that Lynchs contract (including its fifth year option) makes a difference; we were never cutting Lynch when it meant a multi-million dollar cap hit, especially when we knew from the outset he was a project player. It's certainly ironic to think an injury to one QB made another LESS likely to make the team, but the reality is that we were always going to try PSing Sloter and the better he played in preseason the less likely that was to succeed. It sucks and I personally think we'll regret refusing to keep him as a 3rd QB on the 53, but no one knows the future.

The only difference is that the fan reaction would have been much worse if Sloter started the season on the 53 man roster. I think one BIG reason why Elway got rid of Sloter is so they won't keep getting asked questions "Kyle had another good week of practice and Paxton sucked once again and threw several picks and looked utterly lost out there. Is Kyle moving up the depth chart to two this week? How about now? Now? What about now? Are we there yet?"

And then when Paxton returns they cut Sloter and there's another angry fan outburst to deal with. Because they always intended to go with 2 QBs on the active roster, not 3. The only reason there are 3 now is Paxton's injury.

All the fan criticism and the questioning by the media is because the fans and media are tired of the "Paxton sucks" story and want to move on to something else, but Elway & co. are still bent on proving that Paxton just needs more time. Since they're running the team, Paxton will get more time to prove he sucks.

We need to accept it. The future is still Paxton Lynch as far as John Elway is concerned. Paxton's failure so far is a setback, but they didn't hire all those QB coaches for their health. They want to develop him and "see what we've got."

Well, we got two giraffes, that's what.

Joel
09-05-2017, 12:14 PM
"just a stupid narrative"

:salute:

Plenty of Brandon Weedens to grab in the world North! Not many decent backups....

We men of the north have to stick together. Winter is here.....
First time anyone's ever considered Missouri "the North." ;)

Tned
09-05-2017, 12:16 PM
But, he DID make it through to the practice squad. He cleared waivers. It's just that the Broncos wanted to offer him the league minimum for Practice Squad Players - $7,000 a game for every game he's on the roster.

The Vikings offered him $20,000 a game this season, or $320,000. The Broncos offered $115,000 a difference that is over $200,000 a year.

Now $200,000 would be a TON of money for ME. I'd gladly work a year for $200,000. But, for NFL teams it's not even tip money. The Broncos have a $165,000,000 budget for player salaries this season and this doesn't even include the money they pay the staff from Elway down to the trainers.

They simply do not believe that Sloter has a future in the NFL as a starter. Nobody else really does either or he would be on somebody's active roster right now. Because they sure as hell did not let him go because he was making too much money.

The league rookie minimum for active roster players is $465,000. The Broncos did not want to pay that much because Sloter has no future. That's how they see it. Money talks and B.S. walks.

Not just about the money. Sloter said he would be the 4th guy in Denver when Paxton came back, and the 3rd guy in Minn and get more reps there. It was a better opportunity with Vikings. The money was a factor buy not primary.

Joel
09-05-2017, 12:20 PM
If you could effectively keep a 54-man roster with 6 gameday inactives instead of a 53 with 5, with an equal cap hit, and all you had to do was pay the 54th slightly less than REQUIRED on the 53, would you do it? If your two best QBs had torn ACLs three of the last five seasons, and the other was born to be a journeyman backup?

It may sound weird to say there was a BIDDING WAR to sign a UDFA to a PS, but that's exactly what happened, however small scale it was.

Cugel
09-05-2017, 12:26 PM
Yeah, Joel, but $200k is such chump change to NFL teams that they NEVER lose a player they really want to keep over $200k. The only conclusion is that they did not value him nearly as highly as Broncos fans did. He was barely worth keeping to them - $115k a season is the least they could possibly pay any player and that's what they wanted to pay Sloter.

Elway addressed this in talking to Mike Klis. It wasn't about the money for them. Apparently, Sloter did not look good in practices like he did in games. So, sayonara.

What I am saying is that the Broncos simply don't value him or he'd be here. Now if the dude was scheduled to make $10M a year or something - fine.

I can accept cutting TJ Ward in order to save $4.5 Million they could use elsewhere. But, $200,000 doesn't buy shoe-strings in the NFL. The rookie minimum is $465k.

Joel
09-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Not just about the money. Sloter said he would be the 4th guy in Denver when Paxton came back, and the 3rd guy in Minn and get more reps there. It was a better opportunity with Vikings. The money was a factor buy not primary.
Not so sure about that: Sloters degree is in finance. Notice I didn't say, "he was a finance MAJOR:" He actually attended and passed the classes; since Northern Colorado refused to transfer most of them, he passed many of them TWICE, with a high enough GPA he had a job offer from a financial firm before he had one from Denver.

I and a lot of other people are really high on Sloter, probably far TOO high, but we have that living room luxury: It's his actual LIFE, and future, and he's smart enough to know the odds are very high against him even managing to scrap by with a 5-6 year backup career and walk away with a few million in the bank, much less ever win a starting job from 4th place on the depth chart. So yeah, I think nearly $350,000 instead of a little over $100,000 was a big, perhaps THE, factor in his decision.

BeefStew25
09-05-2017, 12:38 PM
And his mom is hot.

Joel
09-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Yeah, Joel, but $200k is such chump change to NFL teams that they NEVER lose a player they really want to keep over $200k. The only conclusion is that they did not value him nearly as highly as Broncos fans did. He was barely worth keeping to them - $115k a season is the least they could possibly pay any player and that's what they wanted to pay Sloter.

Elway addressed this in talking to Mike Klis. It wasn't about the money for them. Apparently, Sloter did not look good in practices like he did in games. So, sayonara.

What I am saying is that the Broncos simply don't value him or he'd be here. Now if the dude was scheduled to make $10M a year or something - fine.

I can accept cutting TJ Ward in order to save $4.5 Million they could use elsewhere. But, $200,000 doesn't buy shoe-strings in the NFL. The rookie minimum is $465k.
If they didn't want him, why offer him ANYTHING; there are only 10 PS spots, after all, and they come in handy as injuries mount over the months. Why did Washington? Why did Minnesota offer him just under THREE TIMES the PS minimum? Speaking of which, was $200,000 our actual offer? Because the number I keep seeing for minimum PS salary is $7200/gm for a maximum of 16 games, which is "only" $115,200. That's a lot closer to $100K than $200K—but both are far from $340K.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-05-2017, 03:07 PM
If they didn't want him, why offer him ANYTHING; there are only 10 PS spots, after all, and they come in handy as injuries mount over the months. Why did Washington? Why did Minnesota offer him just under THREE TIMES the PS minimum? Speaking of which, was $200,000 our actual offer? Because the number I keep seeing for minimum PS salary is $7200/gm for a maximum of 16 games, which is "only" $115,200. That's a lot closer to $100K than $200K—but both are far from $340K.

It's not per game it's per week of the season. That counts the bye week and post season as well. It runs until the end of the league year IIRC.

Tned
09-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Well, I think we can rule out the Broncos just refusing to pay practice squad players a lot of money as the reason they opted not to match Sloter's Viking offer.

@ZacStevensBSN
4m
#Broncos sign RB Jonathan Williams to practice squad for a massive $510,000. Minimum for practice squad is about $120k. Must reallylike him!

BroncoWave
09-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Well, I think we can rule out the Broncos just refusing to pay practice squad players a lot of money as the reason they opted not to match Sloter's Viking offer.

@ZacStevensBSN
4m
#Broncos sign RB Jonathan Williams to practice squad for a massive $510,000. Minimum for practice squad is about $120k. Must reallylike him!

I think mostly people are just lashing out because they had this idea of Sloter built up in their head from seeing him in the preseason that clearly has not been reflected by the Broncos or really any other team. It's easier to just say "Oh Elway screwed up" than "huh, maybe I put too much stock into preseason games and was wrong about him".

BroncoJoe
09-05-2017, 03:38 PM
I think mostly people are just lashing out because they had this idea of Sloter built up in their head from seeing him in the preseason that clearly has not been reflected by the Broncos or really any other team. It's easier to just say "Oh Elway screwed up" than "huh, maybe I put too much stock into preseason games and was wrong about him".

I was (and am?) a Sloter fan. Let's revisit this in a couple years and see where he's at.

Dude has talent - no doubt. BUT, can that translate to the NFL going up against the best in the league? Who knows. Clearly the Broncos didn't think so.

Northman
09-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Except you almost never need a third string QB. You always need special teamers. I'd rather the last roster spot go to a guy who can definitely contribute every week over a guy who might play in a disaster scenario. And like I said, if you do get down to the third string QB, you're screwed regardless if you kept some scrub on your roster as a third stringer or if you have to sign one off the street.

Are you implying that all 53 players are on the field on gameday? :lol:

Sorry man, it was too easy. But there are plenty of players who are on the bench throughout the season, even back up special teams guys. And while i understand your point the problem is that is only really with teams that have a stable starter at QB. Denver isnt one of those teams as they are still trying to find out who that guy is. Siemian might have the starting job now but the leash is very short with him and i think even you know that.

ShaneFalco
09-06-2017, 12:03 AM
@RapSheet

The #Broncos are signing former #Bills RB Jonathan Williams to their practice squad, source said. He gets a whopping $510,000 salary.

Guess RBS are more important

Freyaka
09-06-2017, 12:22 AM
@RapSheet

The #Broncos are signing former #Bills RB Jonathan Williams to their practice squad, source said. He gets a whopping $510,000 salary.

Guess RBS are more important

Guess so...

Cugel
09-06-2017, 12:48 AM

No. The Broncos reportedly offered the rookie PS minimum = $115k ($7k/game). The Vikings offered $20,000 per game = $320k. 320-115 = $205 = about $200k. That $200k is the maximum difference between the Vikings offer and the Broncos offer. It could be less than that of course because the Broncos could have offered more than that, we don't have their statement to that effect. But, either way it's not a lot of $ for an NFL team with a $165,000,000 budget or whatever the exact cap figure is.

It doesn't matter. Like most 7th round picks, Sloter will probably never be a franchise QB in the NFL let alone win a SB. If he does, it will be another huge black eye for Elway of course, but not the first. He's developing quite the reputation for blowing it and not selecting the right QB over and over.

He could have drafted Russell Wilson instead of Osweiler, and we wouldn't be wasting endless amounts of time talking about Broncos QBs. They are not having QB discussions much in Seattle. But, Brock is tall. Never mind Elway's Giraffe fetish.

He could have let Dallas trade up ahead of the Broncos and take Paxton, taking Dak Prescott in the 3rd. While Prescott might conceivably flame out this year, he's done pretty well so far and Paxton has been a total bust. Even if he suddenly flourishes in his third year, it's probably too late for him. But, Paxton is tall!

Then there's Sloter, who could POSSIBLY turn out to be good, but right now is just a developmental QB in MN. I don't know why people keep saying how wonderful his chances in MN are though. The Vikings really want Bridgewater back. That's going to be plan A for them next year. If you have a starting QB who doesn't suck in the NFL, it's so rare that you hold onto that guy if possible.

And Sam Bradford is Plan B. Sloter is actually plan "D", behind three other QBs.

7DnBrnc53
09-06-2017, 01:04 AM
I was (and am?) a Sloter fan. Let's revisit this in a couple years and see where he's at.

Dude has talent - no doubt. BUT, can that translate to the NFL going up against the best in the league? Who knows. Clearly the Broncos didn't think so.

Nah, I think that Elway is afraid. What if Sloter came in for an injured Siemian, played well, and the team was winning? If Kyle kept it up, Elway would be staring another Tebow-esque situation in the face, and he would have a hard time ever getting his guy (Lynch) in there (not that he will be good enough by next year, anyway) because the fans would be behind Sloter.

Tned
09-06-2017, 07:09 AM
No. The Broncos reportedly offered the rookie PS minimum = $115k ($7k/game). The Vikings offered $20,000 per game = $320k. 320-115 = $205 = about $200k. That $200k is the maximum difference between the Vikings offer and the Broncos offer. It could be less than that of course because the Broncos could have offered more than that, we don't have their statement to that effect. But, either way it's not a lot of $ for an NFL team with a $165,000,000 budget or whatever the exact cap figure is.

According to Sloter, who was interviewed on 104.3, the Broncos did increase their offer (he didn't say how much), but didn't go all the way to matching the Vikings offer.

ShaneFalco
09-06-2017, 07:18 AM
its all good. Qbs are overrated.

We got Bills RB Jonathan Williams for $510,000 on the PS

BroncoWave
09-06-2017, 09:03 AM
its all good. Qbs are overrated.

We got Bills RB Jonathan Williams for $510,000 on the PS

Shane, have you stopped for even a second to consider that maybe Sloter just isn't that good and you were wrong about him?

Wait, no, you still think Tebow was good, so clearly you don't have that type of ability to critically challenge your own opinions.

slim
09-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Shane, have you stopped for even a second to consider that maybe Sloter just isn't that good and you were wrong about him?

Wait, no, you still think Tebow was good, so clearly you don't have that type of ability to critically challenge your own opinions.

You still think Ronnie Hillman is good.

BroncoWave
09-06-2017, 09:43 AM
You still think Ronnie Hillman is good.

And Hillman was still in the NFL up until the other day. You won't see me sitting here years after he plays his last NFL game saying we should still sign him.

BroncoWave
09-06-2017, 09:45 AM
Hell I don't even think we should sign Hillman right now. I'm actually willing to admit his being cut from Dallas probably means he's done. Good try though, slim.

BeefStew25
09-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Tebow beat the steelers.

Freyaka
09-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Tebow beat the steelers.

Mayweather beat McGregor...oh wait, sorry, I thought we were talking about random things that don't actually matter.

Tned
09-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Tebow beat the steelers.

And the crowd went wild. I know, I was there....

BeefStew25
09-06-2017, 11:18 AM
Mayweather beat McGregor...oh wait, sorry, I thought we were talking about random things that don't actually matter.

I don't like when people discount him that season. We won a playoff game.

BeefStew25
09-06-2017, 11:19 AM
And the crowd went wild. I know, I was there....

I was too. I don't remember the game tho.

Freyaka
09-06-2017, 11:22 AM
I don't like when people discount him that season. We won a playoff game.

The Steelers lost a playoff game, the Patriots brought earth crashing back down on us when they ran a competent defensive scheme something the Steelers forgot to do for some odd reason.

Tned
09-06-2017, 11:24 AM
I was too. I don't remember the game tho.

I remember having a lead, things being great, then defense collapsing and Pitt tying it. I think with a TD in the back of the south endzone. I wish I had been drinking more.

tripp
09-06-2017, 11:31 AM
We, let me correct myself, every fan, on every football team does this in regards to their 3rd string QB who plays against guys who are now selling cell phones in shopping malls. I would take Oz over Sloter. Oz is familiar with the team, and knows the offense language.. I could be wrong in thinking this but it seems like a no brainer to me. Crazy thing is, Lynch wouldn't even be here in the first place had Oz stuck around. It seems like the tape is out on Brock and he's hot garbage but having him as a back up QB who knows the offense helps big time.

slim
09-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Hell I don't even think we should sign Hillman right now. I'm actually willing to admit his being cut from Dallas probably means he's done. Good try though, slim.

Is this where we start talking about McD?

BeefStew25
09-06-2017, 11:59 AM
The Steelers lost a playoff game, the Patriots brought earth crashing back down on us when they ran a competent defensive scheme something the Steelers forgot to do for some odd reason.

It was better than last season. Remember when Tebow looked off the safety in the Jets game?

ShaneFalco
09-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Divisional title!

VonDoom
09-06-2017, 01:37 PM
We, let me correct myself, every fan, on every football team does this in regards to their 3rd string QB who plays against guys who are now selling cell phones in shopping malls. I would take Oz over Sloter. Oz is familiar with the team, and knows the offense language.. I could be wrong in thinking this but it seems like a no brainer to me. Crazy thing is, Lynch wouldn't even be here in the first place had Oz stuck around. It seems like the tape is out on Brock and he's hot garbage but having him as a back up QB who knows the offense helps big time.

Osweiler did a decent job when he was here in 2015. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we don't get the number one seed without him, and therefore don't win the Super Bowl.

That being said - everything since he left here has been a disaster for him. He's had one regular season and two preseasons worth of games and he sucks. Houston broke him and now Elway thinks he can fix him. That's my problem with bringing him back (well, that and the fact that he was a dick on the way out the door). He's a punchline at this point. I don't care that he sat on the bench under McCoy's offense five years ago. He's a waste of roster space. Lynch is on his way too, though we'll cling to him for another offseason and hope he delivers on that "potential."

VonDoom
09-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Also, does every thread about any QB have to somehow become about Tebow? 2011 was six years ago, guys.

Hawgdriver
09-12-2017, 12:21 PM
I'd still rather have Sloter on the 53 instead of Oz or Pax. For the long run. In case TS has to tie his shoes for a long time. I'm glad we have GiraffeThing #1 as a backup, could care less that GiraffeThing #2 is around. But I'm the fan and they are the rosterbuilders.