PDA

View Full Version : The Roster Moves In One Place!

Cugel
09-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Rather than buried in tidbits, I've taken the list of all the roster cuts and put it here so you can see every one cut in one place. *

Players who have been cut/traded:
Ty Sambrailo traded to the Atlanta Falcons for a 5th rounder
Running back Stevan Ridley has been released
Wide receiver Anthony Nash has been waived
Running back Juwan Thompson has been waived
Undrafted rookie tight end Steven Scheu has been waived
Outside linebacker Danny Mason has been waived
Undrafted rookie safety Dante Barnett has been waived
Undrafted rookie linebacker Deon Hollins has been waived
Undrafted rookie Cameron Hunt has been waived
Linebacker Quentin Gause has been waived
Outside linebacker Vontarrius Dora has been waived
Undrafted rookie edge rusher Ken Ekanmen has been waived
Undrafted rookie defensive lineman Shakir Soto has been waived
Left tackle Justin Murray has been waived
Undrafted rookie defensive lineman Nelson Adams has been waived
Safety T.J. Ward has been released
Wide receiver/kick returner Kalif Raymond has been waived
Guard/Tackle Michael Schofield has been waived
Tight end Austin Traylor has been waived
Rookie safety Dymonte Thomas has been waived
Rookie nose tackle Tyrique Jarett has been waived
Undrafted rookie quarterback Kyle Sloter has been waived
Wide receiver Marlon Brown has been released
Center Dillon Day has been waived
Undrafted rookie tackle Elijah Wilkinson has been waived
Rookie wide receiver Carlos Henderson was placed on the injured reserve
Rookie quarterback Chad Kelly was placed on the NFI list
Veteran cornerback Chris Lewis-Harris has been released
Outside linebacker Shane Ray placed on the injured reserve/desiginated to return
Rookie tight end Jake Butt has been placed on the PUP
Running back Stanley Williams has been waived
Undrafted rookie safety Orion Stewart has been waived
Wide receiver Hunter Sharp has been waived
Undrafted rookie corner Marcus Rios has been waived
Linebacker Deiontrez Mount has been waived
Nose tackle Kyle Peko has been waived
Offensive tackle Cedric Lang has been waived
Linebacker Kevin Snyder has been waived/injured
Undrafted rookie linebacker Jerrol Garcia-Williams has been waived

*Players highlighted in Red will probably return this season. Yellow = traded for value. The Broncos can designate 2 and only 2 players from IR to come back after week 6.

Notice that the Broncos cannot now get all 4 players back on the active roster this season. That is a big reason why they refused to put Paxton on IR to start because they already needed that designation to return for Shane Ray and Jake Butt. They have not got a pass-receiving threat at TE so they want Jake Butt, and Shane Ray is their best pass rusher outside of Von.

That means that both Chad Kelly and Carlos Henderson are taking a red shirt season.

EDIT: To clarify, the Broncos can get any of their players off IR and don't have to designate them for return until they actually return. But, it's obvious which players they will activate: Butts and Ray.

There is a possibility that they will be forced to acknowledge that Paxton's injury is worse than they hoped and that he won't be available this season. At some point they might have to put him on season ending IR.

But, for now they are resisting that in hopes he can return after a month or so and at that point they can get rid of Brock and only carry 2 QBs on the active roster.

They only planned to carry two QBs. Those 2 were supposed to be Kyle Sloter and Trevor if the team didn't sign Brock and if they didn't decide to carry Paxton on the 53 despite his injury.

Of course, if Brock is forced into games because of Trevor's injury and plays well, they might just designate Paxton for IR at that point, and free up a roster spot to pick up a player later who could add to their roster.

Simple Jaded
09-04-2017, 02:34 PM
They might have to IR Lynch.......there's probably a 285lb NT or a 5.1 in the 40 OLB out there they absolutely have to have.

Cugel
09-04-2017, 03:56 PM
They might have to IR Lynch.......there's probably a 285lb NT or a 5.1 in the 40 OLB out there they absolutely have to have.

They won't IR Lynch unless they're sure he can't come back this season. The fans may have given up on him but the organization has not. They want him as their backup, not Brock. Elway has not given up on Paxton, and that means the organization has not given up on him. He's getting more chances. Count on it!

topscribe
09-04-2017, 04:44 PM
They won't IR Lynch unless they're sure he can't come back this season. The fans may have given up on him but the organization has not. They want him as their backup, not Brock. Elway has not given up on Paxton, and that means the organization has not given up on him. He's getting more chances. Count on it!
Elway's in a win-win situation now. If one flames out and the other sticks, Elway's boy still made it. :)

UnderArmour
09-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Butt is on the PUP list, so he doesn't count against the IR-designated-to-return players. He is automatically shelved for 6 weeks, then the Broncos will have until week 11 to remove him from the PUP list. THEN, the Broncos can take up to 3 weeks of practice to decide whether to put him on the 53 man roster based on practice. Broncos could still IR and return Lynch if they need to.

Joel
09-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Elway's in a win-win situation now. If one flames out and the other sticks, Elway's boy still made it. :)
Seems to be the logic, but only applies if one or the other of them sticks; if NEITHER, we keep riding with Siemian. On that note:

We have him for another year at $705K (i.e. vet minimum.) If we STILL don't have a different starter after that, well, things are gonna get really interesting, because you can't re-sign a three-year starting NFL QB for a couple million a year, but who here thinks Siemian's worth $10-15M/yr?

topscribe
09-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Seems to be the logic, but only applies if one or the other of them sticks; if NEITHER, we keep riding with Siemian. On that note:

We have him for another year at $705K (i.e. vet minimum.) If we STILL don't have a different starter after that, well, things are gonna get really interesting, because you can't re-sign a three-year starting NFL QB for a couple million a year, but who here thinks Siemian's worth $10-15M/yr?
I thought about that. But if both flame out, Trevor is still Elway's boy, if only a bit further
down the draft. And to aver that Trevor won't be worth that kind of money is a bit
premature, isn't it? You don't know how he will do any more than I do. The parameters
for him are wide, all the way from an absolute bust to stardom. We'll see . . .

Tned
09-04-2017, 09:28 PM

He doesn't really think he will IR him, he's just angry that they resigned Peko to the active roster rather than keeping Ward or Sloter. The fact the backup NT is injured and neither Sloter nor Ward can play NT doesn't seem to factor into the trash Elway for resigning Peko narrative.

Tned
09-04-2017, 09:34 PM

Let's wait until after this year before deciding on what he should be signed for. If he starts a second, and possibly third year and improves on his impressive first year starting, he will go for at least that range. Brock was signed to $16 per.

It's just impossible to say, because he's only had one year starting. He could warrant something like two years, $10 million or it could be more like 3 years at $54 million or higher.

What is a pretty safe bet is that if he's the Broncos starting QB in 2018, then odds are he's more likely be signing a contract north of $15 per year than in the $5 per range. If someone else is starting in '18, then the reverse will be true.

Cugel
09-04-2017, 10:42 PM
The price for any decent starting QB is now getting into the $20M range because the salary cap keeps going up. Brock Osweiler got $37 million guaranteed after playing in 7 games. It turned out that was not a sufficient sample size. But, desperate teams will take desperate measures.

And teams become desperate because they need a QB who can win now for them so they won't get fired. Trevor might not win any Super Bowls but he can probably take some undeserving team to 7-9, maybe 8-8. Kinda like Kyle Orton. He might be able to do more than that we'll have to see, but it's pretty clear he can do that much.

I seriously doubt Elway would lose a bidding war for Trevor's services. I doubt he will ever let it get to that again. Just because he lucked out and Osweiler turned out to be a bust, doesn't mean he liked losing. He doesn't like losing at anything. Ever.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-04-2017, 10:43 PM
Am I the only one bothered by the fact there will be no Sloter Butt connection?

topscribe
09-04-2017, 10:45 PM
Possibly. I'm not.

topscribe
09-04-2017, 10:48 PM
The price for any decent starting QB is now getting into the $20M range because the salary cap keeps going up. Brock Osweiler got $37 million guaranteed after playing in 7 games. It turned out that was not a sufficient sample size. But, desperate teams will take desperate measures.

And teams become desperate because they need a QB who can win now for them so they won't get fired. Trevor might not win any Super Bowls but he can probably take some undeserving team to 7-9, maybe 8-8. Kinda like Kyle Orton. He might be able to do more than that we'll have to see, but it's pretty clear he can do that much.

I seriously doubt Elway would lose a bidding war for Trevor's services. I doubt he will ever let it get to that again. Just because he lucked out and Osweiler turned out to be a bust, doesn't mean he liked losing. He doesn't like losing at anything. Ever.
I don't understand the constant Trevor Siemian/Kyle Orton comparisons. They're two
different players. They're nothing alike. Nothing.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-04-2017, 11:44 PM
Possibly. I'm not.

It was a poor attempt at slap stick humor. Buttocks being slaughtered?

Sloter Butt?

Oh nm

topscribe
09-04-2017, 11:45 PM
It was a poor attempt at slap stick humor. Buttocks being slaughtered?

Sloter Butt?

Oh nm
:faint:

Joel
09-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Please: As much as I like Sloter, NOTHING beats Siemian on your Butt—I mean, that's what I hear, um... how are the Nuggets doing this year...? :)

Cugel
09-05-2017, 06:04 PM

Nobody today. But, if he has a successful season then he'll want more than $15M. As the salary cap keeps increasing, starting QB salaries keep going up every year. We saw the Texans offer Brock $37M guaranteed contract after he played in 7 games. What will Trevor be worth with another season's experience?

But, this assumes he plays well.

Simple Jaded
09-06-2017, 02:29 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11405/jonathan-williams

Btw, haven't seen it posted but Jonathan Williams is a Bronco, PSed him yesterday. This is a steal if he is healthy.

http://archive.draftbreakdown.com/video/jonathan-williams-vs-texas-tech-2014-2/

topscribe
09-06-2017, 09:52 AM

Btw, haven't seen it posted but Jonathan Williams is a Bronco, PSed him yesterday. This is a steal if he is healthy.

Power. If he can show that kind of power in the pros, then we have something there . . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-06-2017, 10:44 AM

I don't have time to watch the whole tape. Does he have any speed?

topscribe
09-06-2017, 10:52 AM
From what little I've seen of him, looks like C.J. type speed. Not slow, but not a burner by any means.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-06-2017, 10:53 AM
From what little I've seen of him, looks like C.J. type speed. Not slow, but not a burner by any means.

I like his awareness. He's not just a running back. He's a football player.

Tned
09-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Wooo Pig Sooie!!

topscribe
09-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Wooo Pig Sooie!!
I thought you might be a fan of his. :D

Tned
09-06-2017, 01:40 PM
I thought you might be a fan of his. :D

I love Hillis, errr, whatever this guys name is...

topscribe
09-06-2017, 01:45 PM
I love Hillis, errr, whatever this guys name is...
lol

Hawgdriver
09-06-2017, 01:57 PM

Sloter connecting to Butt has you bothered, eh? Need to get your mind off it, man.

Hawgdriver
09-06-2017, 02:03 PM
This Williams kid looks like a short-yardage thug with good balance and some vision.

Buff
09-06-2017, 02:23 PM
This Williams kid looks like a short-yardage thug with good balance and some vision.

I read this and was going to say we haven't had one of those since Hillis - didn't know about the Arkansas connection until I scrolled up.

BroncoWave
09-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Good God please not another Hillis!

Buff
09-06-2017, 02:43 PM

He should secure his roster spot before he moves in on VJ's wife.

Traveler
09-06-2017, 03:02 PM

The writing is on the wall. CJ Anderson will be the next veteran to be shown the door the Front Office IMO. I believe this is the last year on his contract and if this Williams kid is healthy, he will fill the spot to be vacated by Anderson after the season.

Joel
09-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Power. If he can show that kind of power in the pros, then we have something there . . .
Nice blocking, too; hard to find in a rookie RB. What impressed me most though was his balance, which made his power that much more devastating. He got a lot of yards in those clips (and a couple TDs) despite contact with not only tackers but the GROUND, because he kept finding ways to twist and lean as he stumbled forward so nothing but his hands or feet hit the turf before he'd picked up an extra 5 yds or so.

I'm not looking for Jerome "You're on a Bus with no accelerator!" Bettis, but being a human weeble after contact is at least as important as winning the collision itself. Even Bettis handled pretty well for a bus, and I'm WAY over the "shifty scatbacks that fall over in a strong wind" runners.

Tned
09-06-2017, 05:30 PM

Go crawl up in a ball with your picture of McD!!!!

Tned
09-06-2017, 05:32 PM
The writing is on the wall. CJ Anderson will be the next veteran to be shown the door the Front Office IMO. I believe this is the last year on his contract and if this Williams kid is healthy, he will fill the spot to be vacated by Anderson after the season.

He's only in the 2nd year of the four year contract that the Broncos matched when he was going to go to Miami before last season. However, it's possible the guarantees are gone after this year and he would be an easy cut.

Simple Jaded
09-07-2017, 01:57 AM

Used to, still solid last I saw, foot injury had him running 4.5's leading up to draft.

Simple Jaded
09-07-2017, 02:00 AM
I still can't believe they let Hillis go for nothing, another victim of Hurricane Josh he was well on his way to being the 3rd best RB in Broncos history. Maybe even better.

Smdh

Can you imagine if they still had Hillis and drafted McCaffrey? ChampionshipS...plural.

Traveler
09-07-2017, 10:57 AM
He's only in the 2nd year of the four year contract that the Broncos matched when he was going to go to Miami before last season. However, it's possible the guarantees are gone after this year and he would be an easy cut.

Unless I'm misreading the figures at OTC, they could actually cut CJ right now with no dead money and a $3 million cap savings. His base salary is the only guaranteed and even that isn't set in stone until after the 1st game of the season.

Joel
09-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Unless I'm misreading the figures at OTC, they could actually cut CJ right now with no dead money and a $3 million cap savings. His base salary is the only guaranteed and even that isn't set in stone until after the 1st game of the season.
Spotrac says we'd take a $1.7M cap hit now (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/c.j.-anderson-12553/) if we cut him, because we guaranteed $7.6M and he got $6M of it last year, plus we already owe this years installment of his $100,000 annual workout bonus. NEXT year we could cut him with no hit, because we will have already paid him $9M and only promised $7.6M. That fits my hazy recollection of the contract we gave him last year: A four-year deal, but practically a two-year deal because he'd have all his guarantees by then.

For the record, Spotrac also shows his 2017 cap hit as an even $3M, so cutting him now would save us Charles' (non-incentive) salary.

Cugel
09-10-2017, 09:11 AM

CJ is done after this season unless he turns into a 1000 yard stud suddenly. He has never rushed for 1000 yards. This view is not even controversial, with Denver sportswriters openly saying to each other: "of course" CJ won't be back. His salary next season is going up by $1.5 M to $4.5 M. He's not remotely playing like a $4.5 M a year back. Unless he has a really tremendous season, it's one of the easiest predictions that he will be gone.

They always are looking to replace RBs in the NFL, they don't last long. Five years is about max normally.

Cugel
09-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Spotrac says we'd take a $1.7M cap hit now (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/c.j.-anderson-12553/) if we cut him, because we guaranteed $7.6M and he got $6M of it last year, plus we already owe this years installment of his $100,000 annual workout bonus. NEXT year we could cut him with no hit, because we will have already paid him $9M and only promised $7.6M. That fits my hazy recollection of the contract we gave him last year: A four-year deal, but practically a two-year deal because he'd have all his guarantees by then.

For the record, Spotrac also shows his 2017 cap hit as an even $3M, so cutting him now would save us Charles' (non-incentive) salary.

Since he's the starting RB they are not cutting him this season. They got rid of Ridley. Booker is injured. DeAngelo Henderson is promising, but he is just a rookie so they can't really trust him, especially as he's a smaller back who struggles in protections.

And who really knows if Jamal Charles can hold up for even 1 game? They certainly can't trust him as their feature back, they intend to use him as a 3rd down change of pace back. That could change if he shows that his knee is durable, and CJ and the others struggle, but it's not the way to bet.

CJ is the best running back on the roster right now.

Joel
09-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Since he's the starting RB they are not cutting him this season. They got rid of Ridley. Booker is injured. DeAngelo Henderson is promising, but he is just a rookie so they can't really trust him, especially as he's a smaller back who struggles in protections.

And who really knows if Jamal Charles can hold up for even 1 game? They certainly can't trust him as their feature back, they intend to use him as a 3rd down change of pace back. That could change if he shows that his knee is durable, and CJ and the others struggle, but it's not the way to bet.

CJ is the best running back on the roster right now.
No argument there, and I frankly think he'll either have a great year or renegotiate an extension with less 2018 money. I was just filling in the blanks for folks considering the technical possibility of cutting him now: We'd still take a cap hit of $1.7M, so I doubt they'll cut the starting RB to save only $1.3M.

Simple Jaded
09-10-2017, 01:32 PM
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos

Traveler is right, as usual, there's no dead money for cutting Anderson now. Per OTC.

Joel
09-10-2017, 01:59 PM
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos

Traveler is right, as usual, there's no dead money for cutting Anderson now. Per OTC.
Fine, email that link to these guys: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/c.j.-anderson-12553/

Simple Jaded
09-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Fine, email that link to these guys: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/c.j.-anderson-12553/

They'd probably agree if they took the time to extrapolate cap situations under trades and post June 1st releases.

Spotrac is fine, lazy, but fine. If you're looking for basic numbers.

Joel
09-10-2017, 04:38 PM
They'd probably agree if they took the time to extrapolate cap situations under trades and post June 1st releases.

Spotrac is fine, lazy, but fine. If you're looking for basic numbers.
Well, all cuts the rest of this year are obviously post-June, and a trade's only relatively more likely than a pre-June cut. Yet the bottom line is we guaranteed him a little over $7½M but have only paid $6M, so if we cut him now our cap's immediately hit for the difference. However we divvy up the math, I don't see any way around that.

Tned
09-10-2017, 06:16 PM

Could be. I just knew they matched Miami's 4 year tender offer, but couldn't remember any details on guarantees or anything.

Simple Jaded
09-10-2017, 09:28 PM
Well, all cuts the rest of this year are obviously post-June, and a trade's only relatively more likely than a pre-June cut. Yet the bottom line is we guaranteed him a little over $7½M but have only paid $6M, so if we cut him now our cap's immediately hit for the difference. However we divvy up the math, I don't see any way around that.

The point I'm makin is Spotrac just has contract details, they don't go into cap ramification detail. However, if you read what little spotrac provides you might get an idea of why/how those guarantees hit the cap. For example, part of those guarantees could have included a first year salary or a roster bonus that's already been paid.

You need to put a little more effort into this.

Joel
09-11-2017, 08:57 AM
The point I'm makin is Spotrac just has contract details, they don't go into cap ramification detail. However, if you read what little spotrac provides you might get an idea of why/how those guarantees hit the cap. For example, part of those guarantees could have included a first year salary or a roster bonus that's already been paid.

Um... it DID include a first year roster bonus of $5.225M, plus a base salary last year of $675K: That's the very first line in Spotracs contract breakdown. HOWEVER, even before that it shows we guaranteed $7.6M, so 7.6-6=$1.6M that hasn't been charged to our cap yet. They show us with $1.7M dead cap if we cut him this year, but also list a $100K roster bonus each of the first two years, which is how I figure they came up with $1.7M dead cap if we cut him now: This years cap is already being charged his $100K roster bonus for this year, and if we cut him now it will be charged the remaining $1.6M we guaranteed but haven't yet charged against our cap.

Seems pretty straightforward, but then OTC comes along and says we could cut him now with NO cap hit. Since this seasons salary's fully guaranteed for anyone and everyone on the roster Opening Day, I'm pretty sure even the $1.7M cap hit for cutting him now is off the table: We're taking a 2017 cap hit of $3M for CJ, whether he plays for us, someone else or no one. For that much money, my preference is decidedly toward the first of those three options.

BroncoJoe
09-11-2017, 10:28 AM

You should know better than to disagree with Joelk. He's never wrong.

In his mind, anyway.