PDA

View Full Version : Sloter to Vikings Practice squad?

WARHORSE
09-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Im going to be SO pissed.

Nomad
09-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Prepare to be pissed. :lol:

chazoe60
09-03-2017, 12:43 PM
We will rue this one.

Poet
09-03-2017, 12:50 PM
We will rue this one.

I'm salty.

Timmy!
09-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Traitor.

Joel
09-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Traitor.
Yeah, because we cut Oz and offered Sloter the starting QB job on a silver platter: It's EXACTLY the same. :rolleyes:

Oh, well; I like the Vikings in the same "holder for the kick is Lucy Van Pelt..." way I liked the Oilers, so I wish him all the best until they play Denver. Bradford's only there through the end of the year, who knows when or even if Bridgewater will play again (looks like giving Bradford a 2-year deal was smart) and Keenum's just a good backup, so Sloter ought to have a real shot next year.

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 01:32 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Meltdown day 2, electric boogaloo!

Timmy!
09-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Yeah, because we cut Oz and offered Sloter the starting QB job on a silver platter: It's EXACTLY the same.

What size pitchfork you prefer?

Timmy!
09-03-2017, 01:37 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Meltdown day 2, electric boogaloo!

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-21-2015/ZQDaT5.gif

Cugel
09-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Yeah, because we cut Oz and offered Sloter the starting QB job on a silver platter: It's EXACTLY the same. :rolleyes:

Oh, well; I like the Vikings in the same "holder for the kick is Lucy Van Pelt..." way I liked the Oilers, so I wish him all the best until they play Denver. Bradford's only there through the end of the year, who knows when or even if Bridgewater will play again (looks like giving Bradford a 2-year deal was smart) and Keenum's just a good backup, so Sloter ought to have a real shot next year.

Sloter will have to be the backup. He will never see the field in MN. They have not given up on Bridgewater. They got a glimpse of a really good starting QB they could build around for the future and they want him back. That leg injury was frightening, but he should be back this season. And meanwhile they have Sam Bradford. If Bradford plays well they could have a QB competition next season.

But, it will be Bradford v. Bridgewater. And they trade the loser for a 2nd round pick. And teams will be desperate enough to give them something like that. If the Broncos had either a healthy Bridgewater or Bradford they would be favoured to win the division this year.

Joel
09-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Sloter will have to be the backup. He will never see the field in MN. They have not given up on Bridgewater. They got a glimpse of a really good starting QB they could build around for the future and they want him back. That leg injury was frightening, but he should be back this season. And meanwhile they have Sam Bradford. If Bradford plays well they could have a QB competition next season.

But, it will be Bradford v. Bridgewater. And they trade the loser for a 2nd round pick. And teams will be desperate enough to give them something like that. If the Broncos had either a healthy Bridgewater or Bradford they would be favoured to win the division this year.
We'll see; anyone who pretends to know when Bridgewater will return and in what condition is just guessing, and let's not forget that Bradford was Bridgewater when Bridgewater wasn't cool. This isn't the SECAA: Starting QBs and champions are determined by onfield performance, not circular self-fulfilling popularity contests. The draft is too much of a crap shoot to hand anyone the keys just because they're a former 1st round pick who dominated amateur players a few years ago.

Ask former 1st rounder Paxton Lynch or former 2nd rounder Brock Osweiler: They have lots of time to chat warming the bench behind former 7th rounder Trevor Siemian.

Joel
09-03-2017, 01:56 PM
What size pitchfork you prefer?
Can I get one of those little plastic tridents that go in mixed drinks? Those are so fun. :)

Northman
09-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Is Warhorse on suicide watch? Does he need a friend?

WARHORSE
09-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Is Warhorse on suicide watch? Does he need a friend?

Alas.....youre all too late.....Im a goner Johnny!

;)

Cugel
09-03-2017, 04:13 PM
We'll see; anyone who pretends to know when Bridgewater will return and in what condition is just guessing, and let's not forget that Bradford was Bridgewater when Bridgewater wasn't cool. This isn't the SECAA: Starting QBs and champions are determined by onfield performance, not circular self-fulfilling popularity contests. The draft is too much of a crap shoot to hand anyone the keys just because they're a former 1st round pick who dominated amateur players a few years ago.

Ask former 1st rounder Paxton Lynch or former 2nd rounder Brock Osweiler: They have lots of time to chat warming the bench behind former 7th rounder Trevor Siemian.

This is the part that made me choke on my water: "Starting QBs and champions are determined by onfield performance, not circular self-fulfilling popularity contests."

Dude! What league have you been watching? The NFL is all about billionaires and egos, expertosis and calcification of thought being challenged occasionally by reason and practice. It's about not making mistakes.

Look, it's simple: Do ANY of you really believe in your heart that Paxton Lynch will ever be an elite starting QB in the NFL?

Any takers? Because I assume I was about as big a Paxton fan as there reasonably could be about anyone so unproven, but the handwriting is on the wall. I didn't want to admit it, but he not only was beaten out by Trevor, it wasn't even close. Trevor expanded the gap between them this year if anything!

Now, here's a question for you all: What if Trevor is kinda mediocre, OK, maybe a bit sucky this season and the team goes 8-8. That meant that Paxton was measurably worse than the guy who just proved he kinda sucked.

What left is there to prove? Why is Paxton on this team and Kyle Sloter not? Outside draft grade I mean?

But, is there one of you so dumb you would be willing to bet anything of significance that Paxton will be out there again next Summer being given One More Chance! to prove he isn't a total dud? And why? Why is he being given that ridiculous third chance? We know he's a dud! That's what he is. A busted pick. We've all had to come to deal with it. He will never full fill the potential that made him a first round draft pick.

John Elway, that's why.

ShaneFalco
09-03-2017, 04:46 PM
just another example of why yesterday was full of terrible decisions.

Tned
09-03-2017, 05:09 PM
just another example of why yesterday was full of terrible decisions.

Name one terrible decision.

ShaneFalco
09-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Letting Sloter walk, Cutting TJ ward, signing QB cancer of the testiciles

Tned
09-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Letting Sloter walk, Cutting TJ ward, signing QB cancer of the testiciles

Well, where we stand today, not a single one could be called terrible.

Cutting TJ is arguably the closest, if you think that he's still able to play at a higher level than Simmons, and losing him will impact chemistry enough to warrant keeping him over a young player who's healthy and the front office loves.

On Sloter, we might want to wait until he at least starts a regular season game, or even a few preseason against first team defenses, before we annoint him a great QB and waiving him a terrible decision.

On Brock, they brought in a veteran QB for dirt cheap.

On a side note, how about we cut out the cancer jokes. Cancer is a serious thing. I know you have a very off color, odd sense of humor, but that's a little uncaring to those that have actually suffered the effects of cancer.

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Everything will be ok Shane. Smoke a blunt and chill. :lol:

ShaneFalco
09-03-2017, 05:33 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnJ3BooiDs8dL7W/giphy.gifhttps://media.giphy.com/media/3oEdv1EbS2Ss1NvrUc/giphy.gif

WARHORSE
09-03-2017, 05:35 PM

Cutting TJ is arguably the closest, if you think that he's still able to play at a higher level than Simmons, and losing him will impact chemistry enough to warrant keeping him over a young player who's healthy and the front office loves.

On Sloter, we might want to wait until he at least starts a regular season game, or even a few preseason against first team defenses, before we annoint him a great QB and waiving him a terrible decision.

On a side note, how about we cut out the cancer jokes. Cancer is a serious thing. I know you have a very off color, odd sense of humor, but that's a little uncaring to those that have actually suffered the effects of cancer.

I think we all understand the moves. We're just in a way crazy situation due to having a deep roster. Oz...knows the offense.....dont want to have to rely on Sloter....it would hurt team and him. Paxton? Tons of potential athletically and we havent seen the best of him....but if hes franchise....why couldnt he beat out Siemian? But I do wonder about his leadership. Siemian....we may have a real QB there, I admit simply because he too has had very little opportunity. He actually shows very well to this point in comparison to a lot of very, very good QBs in this league past and present.

Sloter........can still be signed. Im gonna hold out hope.

Gunslinger #1 needs to ride home.

ShaneFalco
09-03-2017, 05:37 PM

Its not about the play, its about losing captains.

Sloter showed more promise in 1 preseason game then Lynch has his entire career.

No they brought in a veteran giraffe on its last legs to feed the lions.

Cancer is a serious thing. And oz is cancer, depression, and humiliation all rolled into one. It could even have AIDS added into the mix.

Timmy!
09-03-2017, 05:43 PM
No they brought in a veteran giraffe on its last legs to feed the lions..

https://media.tenor.com/images/f938f0aad94a2dc8fe2dfc94020a4d47/tenor.gif

ShaneFalco
09-03-2017, 05:49 PM
There was only a bidding war for Sloter.

I am sure Elway made the right choice.

@MikeKlis

Kyle Sloter got whopping $20,000/week for Vikings practice squad. Minimum is $7,200/week. Wow. WASH, DEN also tried to sign him

Tned
09-03-2017, 05:52 PM
There was only a bidding war for Sloter.

I am sure Elway made the right choice.

@MikeKlis

Kyle Sloter got whopping $20,000/week for Vikings practice squad. Minimum is $7,200/week. Wow. WASH, DEN also tried to sign him
I guess a missed where those four teams claimed him off waivers and added him to their 53 man roster. Can you share a link to that?

ShaneFalco
09-03-2017, 05:54 PM
Den, Wash, Min

All tried to get him Tned

Timmy!
09-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Den, Wash, Min

To their PS. And he took the $. He could have came back to Denver. He has betrayed you Shane.

slim
09-03-2017, 06:00 PM
To their PS. And he took the $. He could have came back to Denver. He has betrayed you Shane.

I agree. **** that guy.

ShaneFalco
09-03-2017, 06:02 PM

probably would have come back if we didnt sign the ultimate betrayer who cost the team the year coming off a SB.

I dont blame him for not wanting to be in the same QB room as the giraffes. Especially if you are a lion like Sloter.

And why didn't Denver offer more money?

Oh right. We still looking for anther beer company for the naming rights...

slim
09-03-2017, 06:03 PM
!, let's ride.

Timmy!
09-03-2017, 06:14 PM
He could have come back Shane, but he didn't. You can never change that. Somehow, someway, we will all have to move on without the undrafted guy who has never thrown an NFL pass, despite his amazing 6-5 record at UNC, gloriously leading his team to 6th place in the big sky conference, who are known the college football world over for their amazing, bone breaking, QB wrecking defenses. We are lost. Might as well go play in the fires.

ShaneFalco
09-03-2017, 06:17 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/f938f0aad94a2dc8fe2dfc94020a4d47/tenor.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/13XEXC59E7asI8/giphy.gif

slim
09-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Sloter quit us. Shane loves quitting like BTB loves giraffe tongues

Timmy!
09-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Giraffes have a purple tongue. So do chow-chows.

#factoftheday

Nomad
09-03-2017, 06:23 PM

#factoftheday

chows are mean ass dogs. They're meaner than my pitbull

Tned
09-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Den, Wash, Min

You are wrong, Shane. Show me where those teams attempted to add him to their 53 man roster, which you claim Elway messed up in not doing.

ShaneFalco
09-03-2017, 06:27 PM
You are wrong, Shane. Show me where those teams attempted to add him to their 53 man roster, which you claim Elway messed up in not doing.

What. I just did. Kils reported it.

And it wasnt the 53 man roster, they bid for him on the PS.

Which wouldnt have happened, if he was kept on the 53.

Shazam!
09-03-2017, 06:37 PM

#factoftheday

chows are mean ass dogs. They're meaner than my pitbull

In all my experiences with chow chows they were the sweetest dogs.

I Eat Staples
09-03-2017, 06:37 PM
probably would have come back if we didnt sign the ultimate betrayer who cost the team the year coming off a SB.

He cost us a year? How? He was really bad last year, as you have pointed out numerous times, so we were better off without him anyway.

slim
09-03-2017, 06:44 PM
In all my experiences with chow chows they were the sweetest dogs.

Did you add sugar to the rub?

Tned
09-03-2017, 07:29 PM
What. I just did. Kils reported it.

And it wasnt the 53 man roster, they bid for him on the PS.

Which wouldnt have happened, if he was kept on the 53.

And not only Elway, but 31 other GM's, including the Vikings, were not willing to use a roster spot on Sloter.

Joel
09-03-2017, 07:35 PM
chows are mean ass dogs. They're meaner than my pitbullIn all my experiences with chow chows they were the sweetest dogs.
The second comment is consistent with my experience, but BOTH are consistent with what I've heard, specifically, that chows are mercurial and can turn on even longtime doting owners in an instant for little or no provocation. Never seen it myself, but I've heard plenty of tales.

G_Money
09-03-2017, 08:46 PM
This seems to be dying down, so I guess it's time to fan the flames.

Chris Tomasson‏ @christomasson 10m10 minutes ago
More
Kyle Sloter on Broncos: "They told me that had Osweiler not been available, they were looking at keeping me on the 53-man but I understand."

slim
09-03-2017, 08:47 PM

More
Kyle Sloter on Broncos: "They told me that had Osweiler not been available, they were looking at keeping me on the 53-man but I understand."

But why keep someone with potential when someone with experience is available?

GEM
09-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Eh, I will hold off freaking out until he starts and makes us look dumb. May never happen.

Northman
09-03-2017, 10:08 PM
this seems to be dying down, so i guess it's time to fan the flames.

Chris tomasson‏ @christomasson 10m10 minutes ago
more
kyle sloter on broncos: "they told me that had osweiler not been available, they were looking at keeping me on the 53-man but i understand."

lmao

pnbronco
09-03-2017, 10:39 PM

More

I was just going to post this....thanks G....:D

Sorry War....I was ticked, like yelling really bad words yesterday and today I'm just ticked off headed towards really irritated.

I can't be mad at Kyle for signing with the Vikings because the min salary of a PS player is $7200/week and that works out to $122,400 for the regular season if they stay on the whole season. Kyle will be getting $ 340K. Does anyone know if the PS money goes against the Salary Cap? Kyle just had qualities I haven't seen in a pro football player in a while and I didn't realize how much I had missed them till I saw them again in him.

ShaneFalco
09-03-2017, 11:51 PM

More
disgusting

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-03-2017, 11:53 PM

Sorry War....I was ticked, like yelling really bad words yesterday and today I'm just ticked off headed towards really irritated.

I can't be mad at Kyle for signing with the Vikings because the min salary of a PS player is $7200/week and that works out to $122,400 for the regular season if they stay on the whole season. Kyle will be getting $ 340K. Does anyone know if the PS money goes against the Salary Cap? Kyle just had qualities I haven't seen in a pro football player in a while and I didn't realize how much I had missed them till I saw them again in him.

No, it doesn't count towards the cap.

pnbronco
09-04-2017, 12:17 AM
No, it doesn't count towards the cap.

Thank you for the info.

ShaneFalco
09-04-2017, 03:14 AM
Save Us Chad kelly, you are our only hope

Broncoknight30
09-04-2017, 08:33 AM
http://rs1236.pbsrc.com/albums/ff456/AjLuci/tumblr_lxvjenfyCH1qekkfi.gif?w=280&h=210&fit=crop

HORSEPOWER 56
09-04-2017, 10:24 AM
The extremely strong possibility (near fact) remains that Oz or maybe Lynch will play in/start at least one game for us this year. I don't see TS being healthy for all 16 games. It's less likely than CJ staying healthy all season. Can't wait!

Nomad
09-04-2017, 12:12 PM

I believe chazoe is going to blow a gasket when he reads this.

pnbronco
09-04-2017, 12:52 PM
But why keep someone with potential when someone with experience is available?

Slim I get what you are saying and on paper it makes total sense. The problem for me is that Oz pretty much gave us the finger when he left Denver. Do I blame him for taking a job that would set his family up for life, no. I'm not that petty, but he wouldn't go to the Capital or the Ring Ceremony because he thought the Bronco had done him wrong. He was disrespectful to the organization that got him a ring.

I could see with my own eyes at the games I was at that he was loosing the team. His body language was getting really defensive and the SD game was falling apart. He was just fine before teams got film on him and then he couldn't adapt. There was a reason Khalil Mack sacked him so many times in that 1 Raider game and it wasn't just the O line. I can't even put into words the difference in the players and the stadium when Peyton went into the SD game...it was like everyone felt like everyone could breath again and hope came back and they won that game. Their old captain with all that knowledge was better than the young arm that didn't inspire them.

Sloter doesn't have any experience. He was a RB in college and a team needed a QB and asked is he would try and being a team player he did. So no silver spoon in his mouth, just taking the genetics he has which isn't anything close to the top players and working his tail off studying and working as hard as he can to get better and he did. He knew why the Broncos brought him in and didn't let that stop him from working his tail off to get better and it showed. He was able to bring that same hope that Peyton did way back at the SD game, yup mistakes will be made but dang it we are a team that fight together to go as far as we can. There is no statistic for that. Don't get all bent out of shape I'm not calling him the next Peyton Manning.

The last time I felt this way was when the team was playing everyone but CJ as RB. We kept saying put in CJ and they kept going with the RB that had been drafted. The rest we saw with our own eyes the difference CJ made because he prepared and studied like crazy for the day he would have that chance. Big Al calls it "IT", some players just have "IT" he saw it in CJ and he saw it in Sloter and yeah no other team put him on their 53 because they only have what's on paper in front of them. Our staff watched this kid grow leaps and bounds in front of them. Hey I know that Oz will be OK enough, esp with the O staff we have. I just wish the team had offered him a few $'s more to keep him in Denver on the PS esp since QB's are so expensive these days. He could of been a diamond in the rough or not, but in this day and age they are really rare. Give how far he progressed in the preseason, I wish the staff would have taken the time to figure out if he was a diamond.

Tned
09-04-2017, 12:57 PM
Slim I get what you are saying and on paper it makes total sense. The problem for me is that Oz pretty much gave us the finger when he left Denver. Do I blame him for taking a job that would set his family up for life, no. I'm not that petty, but he wouldn't go to the Capital or the Ring Ceremony because he thought the Bronco had done him wrong. He was disrespectful to the organization that got him a ring.

I could see with my own eyes at the games I was at that he was loosing the team. His body language was getting really defensive and the SD game was falling apart. He was just fine before teams got film on him and then he couldn't adapt. There was a reason Khalil Mack sacked him so many times in that 1 Raider game and it wasn't just the O line. I can't even put into words the difference in the players and the stadium when Peyton went into the SD game...it was like everyone felt like everyone could breath again and hope came back and they won that game. Their old captain with all that knowledge was better than the young arm that didn't inspire them.

Sloter doesn't have any experience. He was a RB in college and a team needed a QB and asked is he would try and being a team player he did. So no silver spoon in his mouth, just taking the genetics he has which isn't anything close to the top players and working his tail off studying and working as hard as he can to get better and he did. He knew why the Broncos brought him in and didn't let that stop him from working his tail off to get better and it showed. He was able to bring that same hope that Peyton did way back at the SD game, yup mistakes will be made but dang it we are a team that fight together to go as far as we can. There is no statistic for that. Don't get all bent out of shape I'm not calling him the next Peyton Manning.

The last time I felt this way was when the team was playing everyone but CJ as RB. We kept saying put in CJ and they kept going with the RB that had been drafted. The rest we saw with our own eyes the difference CJ made because he prepared and studied like crazy for the day he would have that chance. Big Al calls it "IT", some players just have "IT" he saw it in CJ and he saw it in Sloter and yeah no other team put him on their 53 because they only have what's on paper in front of them. Our staff watched this kid grow leaps and bounds in front of them. Hey I know that Oz will be OK enough, esp with the O staff we have. I just wish the team had offered him a few $'s more to keep him in Denver on the PS esp since QB's are so expensive these days. He could of been a diamond in the rough or not, but in this day and age they are really rare. Give how far he progressed in the preseason, I wish the staff would have taken the time to figure out if he was a diamond.

I hear everything you are saying and agree. The challenge they had was the roster spot. I wonder if Lynch hadn't gotten hurt if they would have opted to go with 3 QBs and keep Sloter, the way they did with Siemian a couple years ago. But, once Lynch got hurt, they needed a backup for the first 4-6 games, and I think we can understand why they were concerned about Sloter being that guy. He has such limited experience at QB, not just NFL.

So, do they risk the season carrying Sloter as the backup until Lynch is healthy or get a veteran QB? Once they decide to get a vet QB, do they use 4 roster spots for QB? If so, who goes, the backup NT? Third TE?

Due to Lynch's injury, I just don't see how they could have kept him.

Cugel
09-04-2017, 01:12 PM

It's such a piddling amount that it doesn't matter.

This is just brutal: The Broncos gambled that Sloter would clear waivers and he did. But, they failed to re-sign him because they refused to offer him the extra $204,800 (the difference between what the Broncos offered and what the Vikings offered).

To an ordinary person who has never had a starting player NFL contract that is big money, but to NFL teams that's trash money. They spend more than that on chartering player flights, probably spend more on security for the facility than that! The NFL minimum for rookies on the 53 man roster is $465,000. So the Broncos were unwilling to spend $140,000 less than the minimum rookie wage scale on the active roster!

It's just such a ridiculously low figure that the only way we can justify this decision is if the Broncos just flat don't care about Kyle Sloter. They don't view him as a future starting NFL QB, despite what he did in the pre-season.

OK. But, he better not appear later as a top 15 starter in the NFL while both Paxton and Brock are commentating for ESPN in a couple of years!

Then they failed to re-sign him to the practice squad and let the Vikings sign him to THEIR practice squad because they didn't value him enough to offer him the extra $

Joel
09-04-2017, 01:13 PM
I hear everything you are saying and agree. The challenge they had was the roster spot. I wonder if Lynch hadn't gotten hurt if they would have opted to go with 3 QBs and keep Sloter, the way they did with Siemian a couple years ago. But, once Lynch got hurt, they needed a backup for the first 4-6 games, and I think we can understand why they were concerned about Sloter being that guy. He has such limited experience at QB, not just NFL.

So, do they risk the season carrying Sloter as the backup until Lynch is healthy or get a veteran QB? Once they decide to get a vet QB, do they use 4 roster spots for QB? If so, who goes, the backup NT? Third TE?

Due to Lynch's injury, I just don't see how they could have kept him.
Well, before Lynchs injury Joseph outright said they wouldn't keep 3 active QBs, and it's hard to believe even Sloters final preseason performance would've changed that by itself. My objections are these:

So, do they risk the season carrying Sloter as the backup until Lynch is healthy...?
No, because even 4 games isn't the season, it's ¼ the season, and that's even presuming Siemian gets a bad/persistent injury Opening Day. But even if they decide to play ultra-safe with a veteran QB (Oz actually qualifies with only 21 starts and just seventeen PLAYS before that?)...

do they use 4 roster spots for QB? If so, who goes, the backup NT? Third TE?
Either: No one would poach Kyle Peko off our PS (and that's where Elway and Co. tried to stash Sloter until Minny offered him more money) and if one of our rotating pair of NTs gets hurt we just play the rest of the game without him, then either IR him or demote the final TE or someone else to the PS so we can bring Peko back to the 53.

Joel
09-04-2017, 01:17 PM

This is just brutal: The Broncos gambled that Sloter would clear waivers and he did. But, they failed to re-sign him because they refused to offer him the extra $204,800 (the difference between what the Broncos offered and what the Vikings offered).

To an ordinary person who has never had a starting player NFL contract that is big money, but to NFL teams that's trash money. They spend more than that on chartering player flights, probably spend more on security for the facility than that!

It's just such a ridiculously low figure that the only way we can justify this decision is if the Broncos just flat don't care about Kyle Sloter. They don't view him as a future starting NFL QB, despite what he did in the pre-season.

OK. But, he better not appear later as a top 15 starter in the NFL while both Paxton and Brock are commentating for ESPN in a couple of years!

Then they failed to re-sign him to the practice squad and let the Vikings sign him to THEIR practice squad because they didn't value him enough to offer him the extra $
That's another interesting point, if what others have said about PS salaries not counting toward the cap is true. If the Denver Broncos—who get >$300,000,000 in annual revenue-sharing PLUS stadium revenue—are so strapped for cash just two years after winning the SB that an extra $200,000 would break them, well, they have much bigger problems than deciding who'll play QB the next few years.

Tned
09-04-2017, 01:22 PM

To an ordinary person who has never had a starting player NFL contract that is big money, but to NFL teams that's trash money. They spend more than that on chartering player flights, probably spend more on security for the facility than that! The NFL minimum for rookies on the 53 man roster is $465,000. So the Broncos were unwilling to spend $140,000 less than the minimum rookie wage scale on the active roster!

Based on some of the media reports, the money was only part of the attraction to the Vikings. Being closer to getting on the field was the big attraction. He'll be QB3 pretty much immediately, and probably sees Bradford as short term, and there are still plenty of questions about what type of QB Bridgewater is, so he sees a clearer path to backup, and possibly starter.

Whether the Broncos did or were willing to offer matching money, I don't know, and don't know based on what I read whether Sloter would have signed with Denver if he matched.

MOtorboat
09-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Based on some of the media reports, the money was only part of the attraction to the Vikings. Being closer to getting on the field was the big attraction. He'll be QB3 pretty much immediately, and probably sees Bradford as short term, and there are still plenty of questions about what type of QB Bridgewater is, so he sees a clearer path to backup, and possibly starter.

Whether the Broncos did or were willing to offer matching money, I don't know, and don't know based on what I read whether Sloter would have signed with Denver if he matched.

He's in the exact same spot he would have been in Denver. He's behind a healthy Bradford and Keenum and a injured backup in Bridgewater. Healthy Siemian and Osweiler, injured Lynch.

Tned
09-04-2017, 01:36 PM
He's in the exact same spot he would have been in Denver. He's behind a healthy Bradford and Keenum and a injured backup in Bridgewater. Healthy Siemian and Osweiler, injured Lynch.

Again, I'm just repeating what media types have said about him feeling the opportunity is better.

As to the same situation, I would disagree. I doubt even Sloter thinks he's ready this year. Next year, Bradford is gone unless they resign him (same with Keenum), and then what's in front of him is Bridgewater, meaning if Sloter is a real QB option, then worst case he's backup and best case he's competing for the starting job next year.

In Denver, he's looking at Siemian and Lynch, possibly Kelly in the mix and even possibly Osweiler (I assume he was signed to a one year deal and is gone by next year if not mid year, but who knows).

He has a much easier path to both backup and starter in '18 with Vikings over Denver.

pnbronco
09-04-2017, 03:29 PM

Hey MO please correct Sloters past...I really wasn't listening that much when they said it. I just remembered that he had done something else in college. Like I said I barely paid attention to the guy.

I'm not sure if they were offering him the league min, so please don't think that...it was just what I could find as far as #'s. I do know that the Vikings offered him the most. Jeff Legwold said that the Vikings offered him more.

I wasn't sure if I should post this but I talked to a family member on Thurs before the game....nice family, he wanted to wish Kyle good luck. His whole family was so excited that Kyle was offered $2000 to do a public appearance. Their world is so much more like ours in that the extra will make a big difference in his family. So another thing that pulled at my heart strings.

I can't figure out for the life of me why they have not found a sponsor for the Stadium. If cash flow is tight, then maybe it's time to hire someone for a fair wage to do the ground work.

Thanks guys for this thread and a place to vent my frustrations. Tned....the injury to Paxton did really muddy the waters. I don't hate Oz and I don't hate that he took money that would set him and his family up for life. I hated his attitude once he got benched. I hate that he basically flip off anything Broncos after he got signed by TX. I would of liked to see a man have some class and grace towards the team that got him that big pay off before he had to come crawling back after he got cut from the Browns and yeah I know why the Browns cut him.

pnbronco
09-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Tned you're right.....I think he will have a better chance in MN. IMO they just showed him with that money that they take what they have seen serious and that could have a chance somewhere down the road to compete for a job on the 53. I can't help wish it had been us that took him serious and said PS for now and here is our good faith money to show you we believe in you.

Denver gave him a standing ovation after the game and was chanting his name at the tunnel. He got some real warm and fuzzies from us, I think had Denver offered him a little more than MN he seemed like he really wanted to stay.

MOtorboat
09-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Hey MO please correct Sloters past...I really wasn't listening that much when they said it. I just remembered that he had done something else in college. Like I said I barely paid attention to the guy.

I'm not sure if they were offering him the league min, so please don't think that...it was just what I could find as far as #'s. I do know that the Vikings offered him the most. Jeff Legwold said that the Vikings offered him more.

I wasn't sure if I should post this but I talked to a family member on Thurs before the game....nice family, he wanted to wish Kyle good luck. His whole family was so excited that Kyle was offered $2000 to do a public appearance. Their world is so much more like ours in that the extra will make a big difference in his family. So another thing that pulled at my heart strings.

I can't figure out for the life of me why they have not found a sponsor for the Stadium. If cash flow is tight, then maybe it's time to hire someone for a fair wage to do the ground work.

Thanks guys for this thread and a place to vent my frustrations. Tned....the injury to Paxton did really muddy the waters. I don't hate Oz and I don't hate that he took money that would set him and his family up for life. I hated his attitude once he got benched. I hate that he basically flip off anything Broncos after he got signed by TX. I would of liked to see a man have some class and grace towards the team that got him that big pay off before he had to come crawling back after he got cut from the Browns and yeah I know why the Browns cut him.

Sloter went to Southern Miss as a QB, and his coach moved him to WR to get him on the field. After the season, the coach told him it was a mistake and he was moving him back to QB, but then that coach got fired. The new one outright released him from his scholarship and he ended up at Northern Colorado.

Cugel
09-04-2017, 03:44 PM

I don't dispute your sources, but it doesn't make any sense. Bridgewater's injury was severe, but they really love him and want him back. They are going to give him until next off-season to prove that he can't get healthy before they move on from him.

So, basically every other QB on that roster is just holding the clip-board for Teddy B.

Now you can assume that he'll never be back, whatever. That is NOT the operative assumption either of Bridgewater or the Vikings. If they can get Bridewater back and he's healthy they have a really good QB.

That's Plan "A". But, let's assume not, then what's Plan "B"? That is Sam Bradford.

They give Bradford this season to see what he can do. If he's adequate, and Bradford is adequate if not great, then he keeps the job and they re-sign him to a long term contract. If not, and Bridgewater still can't come back, then it's on to Plan "C".

What is Plan "C"? Well, it's still not Kyle Sloter. Sloter is just a practice squad guy. The only way he will EVER see the field is if Bradford is hurt, and Case Keenum get hurt. If Bridgewater can't come back and Bradford fails, and Case Keenum fails they will probably look to draft another QB in the first round, because that's what teams do.

Meanwhile look at the Broncos.

They have Trevor, but if Trevor flames out (certainly possible at this point!) then what is Plan "B"?

Paxton. Only whatever John Elway may believe we all KNOW that Paxton can't play. We've seen zero sign since he's been in the NFL that he will ever be a quality NFL starter.

I would be truly shocked if he suddenly turned into a good QB. I think most of you aren't holding your breath either. In fact, I assume without knowing that probably around 70+% of the fans would say "Get rid of Paxton right now and save the roster spot for somebody good!"

HOw long before the Broncos are forced to accept the truth. Paxton can't play. And meanwhile Sloter would be on the Practice Squad waiting his chance. If Trevor failed, and Paxton inevitably is a failure, then we're already down to Plan "C"!

And Plan "C" would be Sloter, Kelly, or some draft pick, and possibly all three.

Lot better chance for Sloter here. But, it's significantly more money and if you don't have a lot of $, the prospect of $200,000 more is rather a lot! I don't blame him for taking the $.

EDIT: I omitted Brock. But, we know he can't play either. Has he not proved it much more than Paxton? He's failed with his last 2 teams after all. He sucked so hard with the Texans that they gave up a 2nd round pick just to get rid of him. And Cleveland paid $16M for that pick and then - having already paid all that money - just got rid of him. "Here's your $16,000,000 kid. Don't let that door hit you in the ass on the way out of town."

Cugel
09-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Tned you're right.....I think he will have a better chance in MN. IMO they just showed him with that money that they take what they have seen serious and that could have a chance somewhere down the road to compete for a job on the 53. I can't help wish it had been us that took him serious and said PS for now and here is our good faith money to show you we believe in you.

I don't think so. Again, the difference in $ might have been significant to Sloter but it was trivial to both teams involved. That means the Vikings have really nothing invested in Sloter. He's an emergency QB.

There is no way he's competing for a starting job with Sam Bradford and Case Keenum already established and Teddy Bridgewater waiting in the wings to resume his career as soon as he can.

Even if none of those three QBs panned out the Vikings would just go get another QB the way the Broncos went out and got Brock Osweiler, despite having Sloter on the roster.

Tned
09-04-2017, 04:05 PM
I don't dispute your sources, but it doesn't make any sense. Bridgewater's injury was severe, but they really love him and want him back. They are going to give him until next off-season to prove that he can't get healthy before they move on from him.

So, basically every other QB on that roster is just holding the clip-board for Teddy B.

Now you can assume that he'll never be back, whatever. That is NOT the operative assumption either of Bridgewater or the Vikings. If they can get Bridewater back and he's healthy they have a really good QB.

That's Plan "A". But, let's assume not, then what's Plan "B"? That is Sam Bradford.

They give Bradford this season to see what he can do. If he's adequate, and Bradford is adequate if not great, then he keeps the job and they re-sign him to a long term contract. If not, and Bridgewater still can't come back, then it's on to Plan "C".

What is Plan "C"? Well, it's still not Kyle Sloter. Sloter is just a practice squad guy. The only way he will EVER see the field is if Bradford is hurt, and Case Keenum get hurt. If Bridgewater can't come back and Bradford fails, and Case Keenum fails they will probably look to draft another QB in the first round, because that's what teams do.

Meanwhile look at the Broncos.

They have Trevor, but if Trevor flames out (certainly possible at this point!) then what is Plan "B"?

Paxton. Only whatever John Elway may believe we all KNOW that Paxton can't play. We've seen zero sign since he's been in the NFL that he will ever be a quality NFL starter.

I would be truly shocked if he suddenly turned into a good QB. I think most of you aren't holding your breath either. In fact, I assume without knowing that probably around 70+% of the fans would say "Get rid of Paxton right now and save the roster spot for somebody good!"

HOw long before the Broncos are forced to accept the truth. Paxton can't play. And meanwhile Sloter would be on the Practice Squad waiting his chance. If Trevor failed, and Paxton inevitably is a failure, then we're already down to Plan "C"!

And Plan "C" would be Sloter, Kelly, or some draft pick, and possibly all three.

Lot better chance for Sloter here. But, it's significantly more money and if you don't have a lot of $, the prospect of $200,000 more is rather a lot! I don't blame him for taking the $.

EDIT: I omitted Brock. But, we know he can't play either. Has he not proved it much more than Paxton? He's failed with his last 2 teams after all. He sucked so hard with the Texans that they gave up a 2nd round pick just to get rid of him. And Cleveland paid $16M for that pick and then - having already paid all that money - just got rid of him. "Here's your $16,000,000 kid. Don't let that door hit you in the ass on the way out of town."

See my post, which is #63 in here and I address it. It's very easy to see why Sloter would see a much clearer path to backup or starting in 2018 with Vikings vs. Broncos.

I like the kid, hope he's successful, I'm just laying out the facts, not trying to upset anyone.

Joel
09-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Sloter went to Southern Miss as a QB, and his coach moved him to WR to get him on the field. After the season, the coach told him it was a mistake and he was moving him back to QB, but then that coach got fired. The new one outright released him from his scholarship and he ended up at Northern Colorado.
Not quite right: His original Southern Miss coach recruited him to start and redshirted him, but went 0-12 along the way and immediately got fired, so the new coach brought in his own guy and Sloter VOLUNTEERED to move to WR, where he fought his way up to #3 only to have the coach inform him a year later that they were going to a 2-WR offense and he didn't even have a scholarship anymore. So he transferred to Northern Colorado hoping to start, but all the classes that were supposed to transfer with him didn't, so he spent most of the summer making up those classes while all the other QBs were learning the playbook and building chemistry with their WRs, and he wound up on the bench again until the starter got hurt his senior year.

All of which is what separates him from the typical college flash in the pan never good enough to start until all better players graduated and the recruits were too green, so he got to start his final season and strung together enough decent games against second tier talent to convince some GM to take a flyer on him as a camp arm.

As to whether Minnesota's a better shot for him than Denver, the difference looks negligible. It's been over a year since Bridgewater tore nearly every ligament in his knee but he STILL can't play, and may never be right. That vindicates their wisdom in signing Bradford for two years instead of just one, but he has his own ACL history, and few consider Keenum anything but a steady backup.

On the other hand, Denver's starting a questionable second year 7th rounder because their 1st and 2nd rounders have yet to do much of anything in several seasons trying, and even if Kellys wrist is healthy next year there's no guarantee his head will be: The only certainty is that 2018 is the final year of Siemians contract.

If you're Sloter though, you beat the odds to even make a PS; if someone's offering the same job as Denver for 3X the cash, take the money and run. Not to mention that Denvers GM and coach have a clearly expressed preference of whom they'd like to run the offense if possible, while Minny just wants whoever can do the job.

Tned
09-04-2017, 08:56 PM
As to whether Minnesota's a better shot for him than Denver, the difference looks negligible. It's been over a year since Bridgewater tore nearly every ligament in his knee but he STILL can't play, and may never be right. That vindicates their wisdom in signing Bradford for two years instead of just one, but he has his own ACL history, and few consider Keenum anything but a steady backup.

On the other hand, Denver's starting a questionable second year 7th rounder because their 1st and 2nd rounders have yet to do much of anything in several seasons trying, and even if Kellys wrist is healthy next year there's no guarantee his head will be: The only certainty is that 2018 is the final year of Siemians contract.

Since he's unlikely to be looking to '17 as his "shot" in the NFL, but instead 2018 and beyond. I don't see how you can claim there is negligible difference.

Bradford, Keenum and Bridgewater are free agents after this year. There is enough question about Bridgewaters health and future with the club that they didn't exercise his fifth year option.

In Denver, Siemian who's going into his second year starting is signed through 2018, and their first round pick Lynch is signed through 2020 with a fifth year option beyond that, plus you now have Osweiler as a wild card, but obviously only signed through this year and you have a second wildcard in Kelly who's signed through 2020.

So, I don't really know how you can say that Denver with a logjam of young QBs under contract in 2018 is only a negligibly harder path to start or be backup than the Vikings who currently ONLY have Sloter under contract for 2018.

:confused:

Joel
09-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Since he's unlikely to be looking to '17 as his "shot" in the NFL, but instead 2018 and beyond. I don't see how you can claim there is negligible difference.

Bradford, Keenum and Bridgewater are free agents after this year. There is enough question about Bridgewaters health and future with the club that they didn't exercise his fifth year option.

In Denver, Siemian who's going into his second year starting is signed through 2018, and their first round pick Lynch is signed through 2020 with a fifth year option beyond that, plus you now have Osweiler as a wild card, but obviously only signed through this year and you have a second wildcard in Kelly who's signed through 2020.

So, I don't really know how you can say that Denver with a logjam of young QBs under contract in 2018 is only a negligibly harder path to start or be backup than the Vikings who currently ONLY have Sloter under contract for 2018.

:confused:
Because Denver's logjam has shown far less ability than Minnesotas. Sloter can't get a shot before 2018 unless Bridgewater, Bradford AND Keenum miss most of this season, yeah: But if Bridgewater OR Bradford are healthy next year EITHER will get the starting job long before Sloter. Meanwhile, NONE of Denvers QBs need be hurt nor at the end of their contract to lose the starting job to Sloter: They could be healthy, under contract and TERRIBLE, a very attainable goal for all of them.

Though in terms of contracts: Osweilers ends this year too, and Siemian's next year, so Denver will either enter 2018 with that hanging over our heads or replace him. Again, I doubt anyone here would pay Siemian $10-15M/yr right now, but good luck finding a three-year starting QB for less. If Elway decides he's good, but not worth starter money, who's our alternative? Lynch? A journeyman FA? A draft pick to be named later?

Tned
09-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Because Denver's logjam has shown far less ability than Minnesotas. Sloter can't get a shot before 2018 unless Bridgewater, Bradford AND Keenum miss most of this season, yeah: But if Bridgewater OR Bradford are healthy next year EITHER will get the starting job long before Sloter.

Need to stop right here. Maybe you missed the part where the ONLY QB they have under contract in '18 is Sloter. Bradford could play lights out and earn himself a $30 million a year contract, but there's no way to know if Vikings will be able to resign him.

So, he's currently 3rd on Vikings depth chart, so if Bradford gets knocked out in game one, in game two Sloter is dressing and is the backup. So, while in the short term that's the same as with Denver, as soon as Lynch comes back, he would fall to 4th. That alone is a big difference for this year.

Next year, the difference is much greater, because Sloter is the ONLY QB under contract for the Vikings. They have to sign Bradford or Bridgewater to a contract, or draft/sign others to even compete with Sloter (which obviously they will). That alone is a huge difference for next year as compared to Denver.

Meanwhile, NONE of Denvers QBs need be hurt nor at the end of their contract to lose the starting job to Sloter: They could be healthy, under contract and TERRIBLE, a very attainable goal for all of them.

Yes, it's possible, but Sloter would have to outplay Siemian and Lynch, not to mention possibly Kelly. In Minnesotta, he might be battling an '18 rookie and journeyman vet that they sign.

Regardless, just because you and some other fans don't think much of Denver's current QBs, that doesn't mean that Sloter who has been playing next to them thinks they are as easily "terrible" as you.

Though in terms of contracts: Osweilers ends this year too, and Siemian's next year, so Denver will either enter 2018 with that hanging over our heads or replace him. Again, I doubt anyone here would pay Siemian $10-15M/yr right now, but good luck finding a three-year starting QB for less. If Elway decides he's good, but not worth starter money, who's our alternative? Lynch? A journeyman FA? A draft pick to be named later?

That's a '19 problem, not an '18 problem. The fact is that where we stand today Denver will have three QBs under contract in '18 and the Vikings will have only Sloter. HUGE difference when a young QB is looking at how likely he is to be able to work his way into a starting or backup role.

ShaneFalco
09-04-2017, 11:46 PM
This is like when Green Bay cut Kurt Warner

FanInAZ
09-05-2017, 12:36 AM
This is like when Green Bay cut Kurt Warner

Kurt Warner never played for the Packers, did you mean Giants?

ShaneFalco
09-05-2017, 12:52 AM
Kurt Warner never played for the Packers, did you mean Giants?

https://www.totalpackers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/xkurt-warner-packers-750x400.jpg.pagespeed.ic.8MquI1F5FP.jpg

ShaneFalco
09-05-2017, 02:05 AM
http://1043thefan.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10014194&sid=1148&n=Stokley+and+Zach

Stokley Show pissed about it.

FanInAZ
09-05-2017, 02:14 AM
https://www.totalpackers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/xkurt-warner-packers-750x400.jpg.pagespeed.ic.8MquI1F5FP.jpg

I did some digging & not only confirmed that the 1st team to give him a shot was the Packers, but also the 2nd team would've actually been the Bears were it not for a honeymoon mishap:

Kurt presented as a free agent to the Green Bay Packers in 1994, was signed, then cut by them that same year. In 1997 he had a tryout scheduled with the Chicago Bears which fell through when an injury sustained during his honeymoon rendered him hors de combat. (A venomous spider had bitten him on his throwing elbow.) He had to muck about in the Arena and European leagues before finally being taken on by the Rams in 1997 as their third-string quarterback.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/warner.asp

ShaneFalco
09-05-2017, 02:25 AM
Yea Kurt will go down as my favorite QB of all time.

WARHORSE
09-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Sloter WANTED to be here. But no. We wanted Brock. Elway needs a slap on the back of the neck for this one.

Broncoknight30
09-08-2017, 08:32 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/1008/sn_g_favrefalc_576x712.jpg

7DnBrnc53
09-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Sloter WANTED to be here. But no. We wanted Brock. Elway needs a slap on the back of the neck for this one.

Yeah, because Brock's a veteran (lol).

Simple Jaded
09-08-2017, 09:14 PM

My Chubb is gone, WARHORSE.

Cugel
09-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Sloter wasn't good enough right now to be the backup QB. You're forgetting that Trevor is now the QB. Paxton is the backup when he comes back, and they have not given up on him. Meanwhile Brock is capable of stepping in and being ready to play in the NFL (even if he sucks). If he suddenly starts looking great, they might give him a second chance, but we all know that's unlikely.

Chad Kelly is the Developmental QB. Every team has ONE. Since he's injured they can stash him on the PUP list and keep him on the roster.

There just wasn't room on the roster for Sloter. They're not looking to develop just anybody. There aren't enough reps for that.

If Trevor falters, then Brock gets his chance. If.

And behind him they have 2 developmental QBs in Paxton & Chad Kelly.

Northman
09-10-2017, 10:30 AM

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gZwYmlR9Lh8/hqdefault.jpg

Simple Jaded
09-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Sloter wasn't good enough right now to be the backup QB. You're forgetting that Trevor is now the QB. Paxton is the backup when he comes back, and they have not given up on him. Meanwhile Brock is capable of stepping in and being ready to play in the NFL (even if he sucks). If he suddenly starts looking great, they might give him a second chance, but we all know that's unlikely.

Chad Kelly is the Developmental QB. Every team has ONE. Since he's injured they can stash him on the PUP list and keep him on the roster.

There just wasn't room on the roster for Sloter. They're not looking to develop just anybody. There aren't enough reps for that.

There's room for both on the roster.

WARHORSE
09-11-2017, 12:18 PM

I get it......still wanted Sloter on our PS instead of Vikings.

dogfish
09-17-2017, 10:59 AM
so, band-aid sam is already hurt, and the vikes have signed sloter to their 53. . . he should dress and back up case keenum today. . .

I Eat Staples
09-17-2017, 01:30 PM
They should play him. We know for a fact, 100% that Case Keenum is garbage. At least there's a CHANCE that Sloter might not be.

I'd take an unknown over verifiable garbage any day.

Joel
09-17-2017, 01:44 PM
They should play him. We know for a fact, 100% that Case Keenum is garbage. At least there's a CHANCE that Sloter might not be.

I'd take an unknown over verifiable garbage any day.
It's a 100% certain FACT Keenum's garbage? Or was he just stuck on some really crappy teams? It's not like Houston or the Rams have found any better starting QBs in several years of trying. Keenum's a lot like Sloter in that both were small school UDFAs who had to claw and scrape their way into the NFL.

Valar Morghulis
09-17-2017, 02:40 PM
It's a 100% certain FACT Keenum's garbage? Or was he just stuck on some really crappy teams? It's not like Houston or the Rams have found any better starting QBs in several years of trying. Keenum's a lot like Sloter in that both were small school UDFAs who had to claw and scrape their way into the NFL.

He was a back up on those crappy teams... He sucks balls

Joel
09-17-2017, 03:48 PM
He was a back up on those crappy teams... He sucks balls
Au contraire: He was the Rams starter last year (if partly because Goff was a rookie) and the Texans starter after Schaubs final flameout early 2013. O'Brien opting for the likes of Fitz and Mallet to replace him as Houstons starter in 2014 says more of O'Brien (i.e. the guy who paid Oz $72M, guaranteeing half) than of Keenum. Keenum's not a bad QB; he's not an especially GOOD QB, but no Christian Ponder. And he's got the experience Sloter lacks: Apart from the 2013 Texans season that was so bad it got them the #1 overall pick and Kubiak fired, Keenum has a 9-7 starting record.

Simple Jaded
09-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Keenum sucks, a 6'-nothing and rag-armed product of a college spread.