PDA

View Full Version : Why Sloter Stays

WARHORSE
09-02-2017, 11:41 PM
I think I know now why they let Sloter go. I cant see Denver letting go of a kid who has 19 of his 29 TD passes in college go for more than 20 yards, then comes into the preseason and throws strikes at 21, 47, 21 and 21 yards.

If they put him on the roster, he possibly ends up getting stuck in a game if Siemian goes down because Pax is out. NOT what you want to Sloter at this time, sorry hes not ready. He needs to be brought along RIGHT....slowly.

Kyle is NOT ready to step onto the field and it would not HELP him in his development to do so. I think thats McCoys assessment, Elways assessment, Josephs assessment, Sloters assessment, Sloters agents assessment.

It would also hinder his development to go to another team, try to learn an offense on the fly, get no practice reps, then get put into a game and suck. This is the NFL.

I think Sloter tells anyone who tries to sign him: No thanks, Im staying in Denver.

I really believe its to his advantage to stay in this offense and LEARN.

So I think he ends up on the PS.....continues to learn......and possibly steps in later when ready.....AFTER we've released OZ and traded Pax. lol

Tned
09-02-2017, 11:59 PM
I think I know now why they let Sloter go. I cant see Denver letting go of a kid who has 19 of his 29 TD passes in college go for more than 20 yards, then comes into the preseason and throws strikes at 21, 47, 21 and 21 yards.

If they put him on the roster, he possibly ends up getting stuck in a game if Siemian goes down because Pax is out. NOT what you want to Sloter at this time, sorry hes not ready. He needs to be brought along RIGHT....slowly.

Kyle is NOT ready to step onto the field and it would not HELP him in his development to do so. I think thats McCoys assessment, Elways assessment, Josephs assessment, Sloters assessment, Sloters agents assessment.

It would also hinder his development to go to another team, try to learn an offense on the fly, get no practice reps, then get put into a game and suck. This is the NFL.

I think Sloter tells anyone who tries to sign him: No thanks, Im staying in Denver.

I really believe its to his advantage to stay in this offense and LEARN.

So I think he ends up on the PS.....continues to learn......and possibly steps in later when ready.....AFTER we've released OZ and traded Pax. lol

That theory only works if he clears waivers and becomes a free agent. Then, if the Broncos offer him a spot on the practice squad, and other teams do as well, they he could do what you say.

If he's claimed during the waiver process, then the claiming team owns him and his three year contract and Sloter can't do a think about it other than hold out, and no UDFA is going to do that.

Davii
09-03-2017, 12:36 AM
That theory only works if he clears waivers and becomes a free agent. Then, if the Broncos offer him a spot on the practice squad, and other teams do as well, they he could do what you say.

If he's claimed during the waiver process, then the claiming team owns him and his three year contract and Sloter can't do a think about it other than hold out, and no UDFA is going to do that.

They have 24hrs right? So what's the deadline for someone to claim him?

Tned
09-03-2017, 12:48 AM
They have 24hrs right? So what's the deadline for someone to claim him?

This from NFL operations site (both blurbs were for 9/3 in calendar):

Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12:00 noon, New York time.

Upon receipt of the Personnel Notice at approximately 1:00 p.m., New York time, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of 10 players (the four designated clubs (NFC South) may sign one player to an International Practice Player Contract.) No club, including the player’s prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a Practice Player Contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above Personnel Notice that such player’s prior NFL Player Contract has been terminated via the waiver system.

http://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2017-18-important-nfl-dates/

Simple Jaded
09-03-2017, 12:51 AM
Teams have just begun to assess what's out there.

WARHORSE
09-03-2017, 02:21 AM

True. But I dont see a team signing a guy who says "Im not interested in playing for you". The team I fear the most? Jets.

Tned
09-03-2017, 02:25 AM
True. But I dont see a team signing a guy who says "Im not interested in playing for you". The team I fear the most? Jets.

If claimed off waivers, he doesn't sign with them. It's the equivalent of being traded.

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 05:46 AM
That's some nice spin War, but it's starting to look like you took a pretty hard L on Sloter.

Cugel
09-03-2017, 06:29 AM
There are lots of guys like Kyle Sloter in the NFL. Late round pick: Developmental QBs.

According to Mike Klis, he will slip through waivers without a noise, and re-sign to the practice squad because nobody else wants him on their active roster.

Denver fans see him in the pre-season. They get excited because Broncos fans do NOT pay such close attention to other teams. But good against vanilla defenses manned by 4th stringers who just got cut is not the same as good against the Chargers week 1.

Next season they'll let him compete in training camp. If Trevor is still the starter he'll compete with Chad Kelly to be the backup. If however, Trevor is gone, then there will be a wild-west competition with Sloter, Kelly and possibly Paxton. Maybe a rookie QB too.

Valar Morghulis
09-03-2017, 06:36 AM
There are lots of developmental guys..... But sloter showed real flashes of potential

Imo, cutting him was about draft position and ego. As stated by someone else, if Paxton played like sloter, he would be the starter.

Oz is still a development project as well, but proven to average when tested, sans one game against NE

Cugel
09-03-2017, 07:13 AM
There are lots of developmental guys..... But sloter showed real flashes of potential

Imo, cutting him was about draft position and ego. As stated by someone else, if Paxton played like sloter, he would be the starter.

Oz is still a development project as well, but proven to average when tested, sans one game against NE

Of course if Paxton played like Sloter he would be the starter! That's because he has much more potential as measured by scouts than Sloter, which is why he was drafted in the 1st round, instead of undrafted!

So, if they saw signs of that potential being realized they would immediately make him the starter. Sloter, however, is not expected by anybody to do anything. Scouts view of his potential is basically "camp arm."

Well, he exceeded that. Clearly he can play. But, the distance between "camp arm" and "elite NFL starting QB" is wider than the Pacific Ocean. And at each step of the way he will have to prove himself all over again.

So, step 1 is he gets signed to the practice squad.
Step 2 he participates in practices and drills all season.
Step 3 he shows up in training camp next spring and competes
Step 4 He continues to impress and out plays the other QBs
Step 5 Only then can he be considered a possible starter

And only THEN if he somehow takes Trevor's job will he get a chance to become the franchise QB.

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 07:57 AM
Can we please shut up with the "If Paxton played like Sloter he'd be the starter" hot take? No shit he would be, because Paxton was playing against starters and second stringers in the preseason, not 3rd and 4th stringers who are selling cars now.

I mean, look at our coaching staff, we have 2 QB gurus in McCoy and Musgrave. If Sloter was really the goods, don't you think one of them would have vouched for him staying on the team? Lots of reports said he struggled big time in camp against our better players. I'll admit he looked good in the preseason, but again, it was against scrubs and we don't get the full picture of what happens in practice/camp/meetings with the guy.

Maybe our coaches who saw him more than anyone are completely wrong on the guy, but I don't buy it.

Valar Morghulis
09-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Can we please shut up with the "If Paxton played like Sloter he'd be the starter" hot take? No shit he would be, because Paxton was playing against starters and second stringers in the preseason, not 3rd and 4th stringers who are selling cars now. I mean, look at our coaching staff, we have 2 QB gurus in McCoy and Musgrave. If Sloter was really the goods, don't you think one of them would have vouched for him staying on the team? Lots of reports said he struggled big time in camp against our better players. I'll admit he looked good in the preseason, but again, it was against scrubs and we don't get the full picture of what happens in practice/camp/meetings with the guy. Maybe our coaches who saw him more than anyone are completely wrong on the guy, but I don't buy it.

Wave, do you think Paxton could have played as good as sloter against the same players sloter faced

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 08:04 AM
Wave, do you think Paxton could have played as good as sloter against the same players sloter faced

Yes.

Valar Morghulis
09-03-2017, 08:05 AM
Yes.

Fair enough. I don't.

Northman
09-03-2017, 08:05 AM
Lol, man i think Warhorse is having issues dealing with reality here.

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Fair enough. I don't.

I tend to think people strongly overrate preseason performance, especially when it comes to end of the roster guys. I remember Tom Brandstater lighting it up in the preseason too. Ultimately, the preseason is a small piece of the overall puzzle of evaluating players throughout camp. And like I said, reports were that Sloter was not good in camp. I'm not saying the preseason is totally irrelevant, but I think fans put way too much stock into it. Teams are running their base/vanilla packages on defense and Sloter was facing (and yes, I realize playing with) guys who will mostly never sniff an NFL field.

I just don't think he would have been ready to step into a real NFL game had TS gone down. We need a vet backup until Lynch gets back, and Oz will suit that role fine. I'd imagine we get rid of him once Lynch comes back.

Valar Morghulis
09-03-2017, 08:19 AM
I tend to think people strongly overrate preseason performance, especially when it comes to end of the roster guys. I remember Tom Brandstater lighting it up in the preseason too. Ultimately, the preseason is a small piece of the overall puzzle of evaluating players throughout camp. And like I said, reports were that Sloter was not good in camp. I'm not saying the preseason is totally irrelevant, but I think fans put way too much stock into it. Teams are running their base/vanilla packages on defense and Sloter was facing (and yes, I realize playing with) guys who will mostly never sniff an NFL field. I just don't think he would have been ready to step into a real NFL game had TS gone down. We need a vet backup until Lynch gets back, and Oz will suit that role fine. I'd imagine we get rid of him once Lynch comes back.

Have you ever watched lynch in any game play like sloter did during his few games?

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 08:21 AM
Have you ever watched lynch in any game play like sloter did during his few games?

Keep in mind I don't think preseason performance is all that important, so it's kinda irrelevant to me if Lynch has or hasn't played that well in the preseason.

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 08:22 AM
But to answer your question, no I don't remember Lynch playing that well in the preseason and yes, I still agree with the decision to keep him over Sloter.

Valar Morghulis
09-03-2017, 08:26 AM
But to answer your question, no I don't remember Lynch playing that well in the preseason and yes, I still agree with the decision to keep him over Sloter.

Fair enough mate, a shining example on how two people can disagree with each other respectfully!!

You ******* knob

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Fair enough mate, a shining example on how two people can disagree with each other respectfully!!

You ******* knob

Eat shit, mate!

NightTrainLayne
09-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Does anyone remember last year? You know, when Lynch looked good enough in the pre-season that lots of fans wanted him to start instead of Siemian.

And then Siemian got hurt, and Lynch puked down his leg against Atlanta?

nevcraw
09-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Does anyone remember last year? You know, when Lynch looked good enough in the pre-season that lots of fans wanted him to start instead of Siemian.

And then Siemian got hurt, and Lynch puked down his leg against Atlanta?
Was going to say the same thing... YouTube is filled with Paxton Lynch highlights from preseason looking damn good. The bottom line is some very good coaches have watched every snap on tape from OTAs on - I assume they know what they are doing when they release a project.
Say what you will about oz. I'm not a big fan but he did play well enough here and in Houston to help get 2 teams to the playoffs.

Tned
09-03-2017, 12:49 PM

As they said in a famous baseball movie..... "Just a bit outside" as the ball misses the target by a mile.

Joel
09-03-2017, 01:57 PM
As they said in a famous baseball movie..... "Just a bit outside" as the ball misses the target by a mile.
Hey, the Vikings are kinda like the Jets (in all the worst ways.)

ShaneFalco
09-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Lol, man i think Warhorse is having issues dealing with reality here.

who can blame him?

The FO has made the worst moves i have ever seen in the last day.

Im still pinching myself asking to wake up.

ShaneFalco
09-03-2017, 04:54 PM

big surprise there.

Cugel
09-03-2017, 05:00 PM
Hey, the Vikings are kinda like the Jets (in all the worst ways.)

No, the Jets and Browns exist in their own level of dysfunction, just a bit lower than everybody else, a little deeper and a little bit nastier. That Jets stank like the stench of decay that comes off the Jersey swamplands when the team is in town. Equal parts despair and futility, by November people for miles around know to stay in doors, close all the windows and keep the air filter on maximum.

As for Cleveland, well, they live in their own bubble of confusion. It might as well be 1964 for all the Browns owners know about how to run an NFL franchise.