PDA

View Full Version : No Trade: TJ Ward Cut

UnderArmour
09-02-2017, 10:43 AM
The #Broncos have informed three-time Pro Bowler and all-pro safety TJ Ward that he's been released, source said.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/904004475140141056

Thanks for the memories TJ. Wish you the best with your new team unless you sign in the division, in which case I hope you get a massive signing bonus and choke every time you play the Broncos.

GEM
09-02-2017, 10:44 AM

Hawgdriver
09-02-2017, 10:45 AM
@bossward thanks for the Championship bro

spikerman
09-02-2017, 10:46 AM
I can't help but feel like this is going to bite the team in the ass. The defensive players were so opposed to this that I worry about the locker room.

Northman
09-02-2017, 10:52 AM
I can't help but feel like this is going to bite the team in the ass. The defensive players were so opposed to this that I worry about the locker room.

Same here.

VonDoom
09-02-2017, 10:55 AM
This is a bad decision. Trading him might have been worthwhile, but cutting this dude now seems like it will create bad blood in the locker room all to save $4.5 million. Not a good look. Should have just let him play it out and then leave. At the very least, we would have gotten a comp pick next year instead of nothing this year and one less year of him playing for us.

Cugel
Huge loss of leadership. But, they may have a more realistic view of things that the SB window has closed already, mostly due to the inexperience of our QBs, and that they don't need to hold onto the ageing veterans from the Super Bowl. But, damn! The dude can still play.

And he's extremely likely now to just friggin' totally TROLL the Broncos by going to the Raiders or the Patriots. And the Raiders really could use him (I hate to see them get him). And the Patriots are notorious for their cheating ways, which always included signing key players from other teams in order to pump them for information.

Besides, TJ Ward could contribute to any team, no matter how good they already are in their secondary. Dude was in the Pro-Bowl in 2015. He is still healthy. He could make just about any roster in the NFL.

atwater27
Love that guy! He leaves behind a legacy of fine defensive backfield thumpers like Atwater, Smith and Lynch. That is too bad but I understand the reason and am excited about the talent that made him expendable. Please Boss don't sign in the AFC West!

CoachChaz
09-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Just like any team that has done this in the past, there will be initial "shock" and then the team will get over it and play like professionals. This won't change our impending 7-9 record in any way.

Buff
09-02-2017, 10:58 AM
I just don't think there is ever a justification for cutting a guy who can still produce at a Pro Bowl level. Especially when he's a locker room leader. I understand the front office feels like there won't be a dropoff - but that seems arrogant to me. He's gonna go get paid more elsewhere now. Hope it's not in the division.

VonDoom
09-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Anyone else worried about this? We lost Wade for seemingly no reason other than money or the desire to keep (a mostly unproven) Joe Woods. Ware retired, which was the right move but still hurts the locker room with the loss of his leadership. Now Ward, another leader for these guys. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked to see Talib cut after this year. We're overhauling the defense, which is odd, because that's been our strength in recent years.

weazel
09-02-2017, 11:01 AM
http://www.troll.me/images/rick-james-charlie/cold-blooded-thumb.jpg

Timmy!
09-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Well, on the bright side we can all stop overreacting about Sloter and move on to overreacting about Ward.

D1g1tal j1m
09-02-2017, 11:05 AM
I thank TJ for what he brought to our defense and the Championship he helped win us, but it was time to move on from him. We inked his replacement in Stewart to a long term extension and drafted some talented, younger and cheaper talent who will help upgrade our pass defense. Sad to see him go and I'm sure that his ex-teammates are disappointed but this is the NFL and these players know the deal and will get over the loss and just go and play and backup the teammates they have.

I don't think there will be a revolt, just a strong display of displeasure but that will pass once they all run onto the field on Sep 11 against the Sparkles....

Northman
09-02-2017, 11:05 AM
Well, on the bright side we can all stop overreacting about Sloter and move on to overreacting about Ward.

Em, not really.

One guy has proven something useful while the other hasnt. lol

CoachChaz
09-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Em, not really.

One guy has proven something useful while the other hasnt. lol

The second part of this comment is exactly the point.

Joel
09-02-2017, 11:07 AM
This is a bad decision. Trading him might have been worthwhile, but cutting this dude now seems like it will create bad blood in the locker room all to save $4.5 million. Not a good look. Should have just let him play it out and then leave. At the very least, we would have gotten a comp pick next year instead of nothing this year and one less year of him playing for us.
Yup and

I just don't think there is ever a justification for cutting a guy who can still produce at a Pro Bowl level. Especially when he's a locker room leader. I understand the front office feels like there won't be a dropoff - but that seems arrogant to me. He's gonna go get paid more elsewhere now. Hope it's not in the division.
yup.

Ask whichever Broncos stud(s) happen(s) to be your favorite whether they're more or much less inclined to take a little less cold hard cash just for the sake of sticking with our successful professional "family." Elway just made it clear that anyone and everyone is expendable, and will be gone the instant he concludes (rightly or wrongly) that will give the remaining Broncos even a slight advantage anywhere else.

I guess it's been coming for a while, what with forcing a restructure, not just on guys like Stephenson or Vasquez, but PFM himself, and lowballing guys like Wolfe when it was time to renegotiate a new contract. But if we look around the league at tight-fisted teams like Cleveland and Jax, their financial success hasn't exactly translated to success on the field.

#WealthfromNowon?

Timmy!
09-02-2017, 11:08 AM
I don't think there will be a revolt, just a strong display of displeasure but that will pass once they all run onto the field on Sep 11 against the Sparkles....

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's as if you think these guys are professionals making millions of dollars or something.

Nomad
09-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Oh well......thanks for being a BRONCO, TJ. Your presence will be missed. I guess we'll see how much of a guru JE is, so far, I'm not impressed with his franchise QB search.

Valar Morghulis
09-02-2017, 11:10 AM
This is ashitty move and we are worse because of it

Win now on?

Cugel
09-02-2017, 11:11 AM
EDIT: I believe they think that Trevor is probably too inexperienced for the Broncos to win the SB this season. And, if they don't, then you are three years removed from winning the SB with a bunch of guys who are no longer on the team: Peyton, DeMarcus, TJ, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, Wade Phillips.

At that point, you might be 8-8. And faced with the reality: "the Broncos, lacking an elite QB, are simply no longer an elite SB caliber team. They are no longer any real challenge to the Patriots or Steelers or other teams in the AFC with elite QBs. Possibly even the hated Raiders because they have Derek Carr."

This could be a LONG term project to return to the SB. Even if Trevor is ultimately going to continue to develop into a top 10 QB, it might take a couple of years. This is year two. He could take a while. Like 3 or 4 years of experience as a starter.

In that case, a bunch more of the SB veterans will not be a part of this defense when the offense is ready to compete with the Patriots and Steelers and other elite teams of the AFC.

Northman
09-02-2017, 11:14 AM
The second part of this comment is exactly the point.

?

He implication is that people overreacting to Ward is the same as Sloter. They couldnt be more different. If he stated "people cant stop overreacting to Sloter to actually reacting to a much better player in Ward" than it would make sense. Losing Ward (while not the end of the world) is certainly something to be a bit upset about. Being concerned about a 3rd string QB is nowhere in the same hemisphere.

Northman
09-02-2017, 11:15 AM
This is ashitty move and we are worse because of it

Win now on?

Maybe they are just tanking the season for a top 5 pick.

Tned
09-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Anyone else worried about this? We lost Wade for seemingly no reason other than money or the desire to keep (a mostly unproven) Joe Woods. Ware retired, which was the right move but still hurts the locker room with the loss of his leadership. Now Ward, another leader for these guys. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked to see Talib cut after this year. We're overhauling the defense, which is odd, because that's been our strength in recent years.

Worried? No. Surprised? Yes. While it was looking more likely in the last 24 hours, I didn't really think they would cut him. I could see the logic around the trade, but not as much the cut. Hopefully, it's less about the money and more about thinking they have two or three safeties behind him that they think are key for the now and now on, and don't have the roster spot to spare.

Simple Jaded
09-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Teams do this all the time, and even if the lockerroom hates the move you can't let the players override personnel decisions.

chazoe60
09-02-2017, 11:17 AM
https://youtu.be/WBA-01wn_fk

Northman
09-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Teams do this all the time, and even if the lockerroom hates the move you can't let the players override personnel decisions.

All true, however if the team feels that it was a bad move and the dislike for the move starts being reflected on the field it can become a problem.

Timmy!
09-02-2017, 11:19 AM
?

He implication is that people overreacting to Ward is the same as Sloter. They couldnt be more different. If he stated "people cant stop overreacting to Sloter to actually reacting to a much better player in Ward" than it would make sense. Losing Ward (while not the end of the world) is certainly something to be a bit upset about. Being concerned about a 3rd string QB is nowhere in the same hemisphere.

Your timmy translator is malfunctioning.

Northman
09-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Your timmy translator is malfunctioning.

Must be, it must be because im in total distress right now.... lol

Timmy!
09-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Im calling a Simmons/Parks/Carter int in game one.

#nostratimmy

Timmy!
09-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Must be, it must be because im in total distress right now.... lol

You could cuddle with Chaz if you want.

Cugel
09-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post

I don't like this move either, but it's not about saving money. They could afford TJ, it's just that they believe that Justin Simmons is going to be just as good or maybe better in the future than TJ and he's on his rookie deal, and thus cheaper. But, mostly he's younger and thus, "the future." Ward is 31 and this is his last year on his contract. They already decided earlier in the spring that Ward wanted more $ than they were willing to pay him for 2018. So, this was going to be his last year.

But the biggest reason: They want to give Simmons more playing time, the way that they promoted Chris Harris when he proved himself better and better. And Will Parks is nearly as good, giving them good depth at the position and three superb cover S's in Stewart, Simmons and Parks, plus 3 really elite cover C's in Aqib, Harris and Roby.

It's a dead loss in leadership in the locker room to lose a pro-bowl calibre veteran, but they believe Simmons & Parks are probably a better fit for the new style of defense Joe Woods wants to run. (It's not exactly the same as Wade's defense. There's more designed pressures and that will demand more extended coverages in the secondary.

TJ was that enforcer in the middle of the field. Parks & Simmons are more center fielders. They now have two ball hawks starting at S, but will lose that run support S presence.

CoachChaz
09-02-2017, 11:24 AM

Exactly. I remember the heresy that was claimed when Dallas cut Ware. Fans couldn't care less now. Same when Carolina cut Smith. All they did was go to a Super Bowl a year later.

Nomad
09-02-2017, 11:24 AM
Just like any team that has done this in the past, there will be initial "shock" and then the team will get over it and play like professionals. This won't change our impending 7-9 record in any way.

Yeah, the initial shock sucks, because TJ was an important presence on the team and to the fans. Hopefully, one of these young guys fills his shoes on the field, then it'll lead up to respect in the locker room.

MOtorboat
09-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Seems to go against what most of us thought, including myself.

https://twitter.com/nickijhabvala/status/904015116127019008

Northman
09-02-2017, 11:26 AM
They now have two ball hawks starting at S, but will lose that run support S presence.

Allegedly.

We shall see what happens this year but as they say dont count your chickens before they hatch. This could easily backfire on them.

CoachChaz
I don't like this move either, but it's not about saving money. They could afford TJ, it's just that they believe that Justin Simmons is going to be just as good or maybe better in the future than TJ and he's on his rookie deal, and thus cheaper. But, mostly he's younger and thus, "the future." Ward is 31 and this is his last year on his contract. They already decided earlier in the spring that Ward wanted more $ than they were willing to pay him for 2018. So, this was going to be his last year.

But the biggest reason: They want to give Simmons more playing time, the way that they promoted Chris Harris when he proved himself better and better. And Will Parks is nearly as good, giving them good depth at the position and three superb cover S's in Stewart, Simmons and Parks, plus 3 really elite cover C's in Aqib, Harris and Roby.

It's a dead loss in leadership in the locker room to lose a pro-bowl calibre veteran, but they believe Simmons & Parks are probably a better fit for the new style of defense Joe Woods wants to run. (It's not exactly the same as Wade's defense. There's more designed pressures and that will demand more extended coverages in the secondary.

TJ was that enforcer in the middle of the field. Parks & Simmons are more center fielders. They now have two ball hawks starting at S, but will lose that run support S presence.
I think a 220 pound sure tackler like Stewart wi'll be just fine in run support.

BroncoJoe
Thanks TJ for all you did while here.

That said, I don't think it's a super big deal. The $4.5 million is icing on the cake because we have guys that can replace his play on the field, which is the cake.

We have leaders on the defense, or did people forget about Von, Wolfe, Harris and Talib?

I agree is sucks, but it's not worth the outrage.

Timmy!
09-02-2017, 11:32 AM
If Simmons/Parks come in and play well, it's a decent move.

If Simmons/Parks come in and play great and one develops into a pro bowler, it's a great move.

If Simmons/Parks come in and play shitty and we get the ball ran down our throats, it's a horrible move.

Place your bets.

Nomad
09-02-2017, 11:32 AM

That said, I don't think it's a super big deal. The $4.5 million is icing on the cake because we have guys that can replace his play on the field, which is the cake.

We have leaders on the defense, or did people forget about Von, Wolfe, Harris and Talib?

Hopefully Von keeps his chicken named TJ on the chicken farm. :D

Timmy!
09-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Hopefully Von keeps his chicken named TJ on the chicken farm. :D

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/09/21/multimedia/clark-roast-chicken/clark-roast-chicken-superJumbo.jpg

Buff
09-02-2017, 11:35 AM
I don't think people are wrong for having faith in Elway and the staff. I also don't think people are wrong to be skeptical and question whether these kids can really produce at Boss Ward's level.

The part I have a little trouble with is that he played injured, he brought all of the intangibles that helped make the defense into what it is, I just wonder if the $4.5 million longterm cap savings will be worth the lack of his presence... Especially if he goes on to have a good season elsewhere within the AFC. I don't think it's clear at this point what the net effect will be.

Cugel
09-02-2017, 11:36 AM
Seems to go against what most of us thought, including myself.

https://twitter.com/nickijhabvala/status/904015116127019008

This confirms what everybody is saying: It was just that Simmons is younger and they like his cover skills more than TJ's and Simmons seems to fit better as a starter in Joe Wood's scheme. They want to play Simmons more, and there wasn't room for TJ as a starter, and paying $5 M for a backup is not cost effective.

I think that kind of thinking is too rigid though. I'm in favour of keeping as many good players on the roster as you can get. Especially team leaders who help hold other guys accountable for success. It's a blow. No doubt, no matter what happens on the field, but they believe that Simmons is ready to take the starting role and they opened a place for him.

There won't be a problem in the locker room over that.

Timmy!
09-02-2017, 11:37 AM
I don't think people are wrong for having faith in Elway and the staff. I also don't think people are wrong to be skeptical and question whether these kids can really produce at Boss Ward's level.

The part I have a little trouble with is that he played injured, he brought all of the intangibles that helped make the defense into what it is, I just wonder if the $4.5 million longterm cap savings will be worth the lack of his presence... Especially if he goes on to have a good season elsewhere within the AFC. I don't think it's clear at this point what the net effect will be.

I'm really hoping he goes to the NFC north or something.

tomjonesrocks
09-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Seems like we are outsmarting ourselves. This is a move that works for the Pats and no one else.

Northman
09-02-2017, 11:40 AM
I'm really hoping he goes to the NFC north or something.

He will probably end up with the Patriots.

Buff
09-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Here's the flip side of this - Wolfe, arguably our most loyal player who took an undermarket deal - reads between the lines when this stuff happens. Ain't no loyalty coming back their way, so players have no reason to show any either.

https://twitter.com/Derek_Wolfe95/status/904020602872184832

CoachChaz
09-02-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm thinking Dallas.

Northman
09-02-2017, 11:43 AM
Here's the flip side of this - Wolfe, arguably our most loyal player who took an undermarket deal - reads between the lines when this stuff happens. Ain't no loyalty coming back their way, so players have no reason to show any either.

https://twitter.com/Derek_Wolfe95/status/904020602872184832

Agreed.

BroncoWave
09-02-2017, 11:59 AM

Completely agree. If only you were this rational all the time! :D

Tned
09-02-2017, 12:02 PM
@TroyRenck
9m
Wasn't about his salary..Was about going with younger players. I would never suggest an NFL cut salary in a league where they play 2-3 years

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Troy Renck Retweeted
Cj Anderson‏Verified account @cjandersonb22 26m

I'm going to miss @BossWard43 however @PhillyWill11 and @jsimms1119 I got y'all back let's grow and eat together 💯

Troy Renck Retweeted
Brandon Marshall‏Verified account @BMarshh54 18m

Going to miss my Dawg! Irreplaceable Passion, Leadership, and just a DOG on the field!! I've… https://www.instagram.com/p/BYi80Xolu7a/

Troy Renck Retweeted
Chris Harris‏Verified account @ChrisHarrisJr 1h

😡😡 Ima miss my dawg @BossWard43

Simple Jaded
09-02-2017, 12:27 PM
All true, however if the team feels that it was a bad move and the dislike for the move starts being reflected on the field it can become a problem.

Lets hope they can get over it cause this also coincides with losing Wade and Ware, this could get ugly.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-02-2017, 12:32 PM
**** this pisses me off.

Northman
09-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Lets hope they can get over it cause this also coincides with losing Wade and Ware, this could get ugly.

Chances are they will, the instances to which teams tear themselves apart on issues like this is rare and often only affects really shitty teams.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Pinned Tweet
Denver Broncos‏Verified account @Broncos 3m

https://twitter.com/Broncos?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ct wgr%5Eauthor

Thank you, @BossWard43.

Simple Jaded
09-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Chances are they will, the instances to which teams tear themselves apart on issues like this is rare and often only affects really shitty teams.

At least they didn't cut Ward to make room for Dale Carter.

VonDoom
09-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Renck speculates that the Raiders might look at Ward. Ugh, that would be rough

slim
09-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Im calling a Simmons/Parks/Carter int in game one.

#nostratimmy

A three way on prime time tv? Oh man, put the kids to bed early!!

Northman
09-02-2017, 03:11 PM

Would be a good move for them, they are a team on the rise.

Northman
09-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Some dude named Dj Anubis gave TJ some farewell love. Classy

Dj Anubis (MT Radio)‏ @TheRealNoobs (https://twitter.com/TheRealNoobs) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/TheRealNoobs/status/904075734137831424)More

@BossWard43 (https://twitter.com/BossWard43) - As a longtime Bronco fan thanks for everything TJ. Remember loving you at Cleveland and was ecstatic when you became a Bronco.

Dj Anubis (MT Radio)‏ @TheRealNoobs (https://twitter.com/TheRealNoobs) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/TheRealNoobs/status/904075853847515136)More

@BossWard43 (https://twitter.com/BossWard43) - Cont: Sad to see you go but i know you will land on your feet. You are incredibly talented and you will be missed. Thanks man

topscribe
09-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Some dude named Dj Anubis gave TJ some farewell love. Classy

Dj Anubis (MT Radio)‏ @TheRealNoobs (https://twitter.com/TheRealNoobs) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/TheRealNoobs/status/904075734137831424)More

@BossWard43 (https://twitter.com/BossWard43) - As a longtime Bronco fan thanks for everything TJ. Remember loving you at Cleveland and was ecstatic when you became a Bronco.

Dj Anubis (MT Radio)‏ @TheRealNoobs (https://twitter.com/TheRealNoobs)7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/TheRealNoobs/status/904075853847515136)More

@BossWard43 (https://twitter.com/BossWard43) - Cont: Sad to see you go but i know you will land on your feet. You are incredibly talented and you will be missed. Thanks man

No matter who you are, you want to distance yourself from Anubis . . .

topscribe
09-02-2017, 03:31 PM
That's happened before. I can remember when Lyle Alzado came back with the Raiders and just made us miserable . . .

Valar Morghulis
09-02-2017, 03:34 PM
That's happened before. I can remember when Lyle Alzado came back with the Raiders and just made us miserable . . .

I sure hope tj doesn't end up like alzado

topscribe
09-02-2017, 03:38 PM
I sure hope tj doesn't end up like alzado
I doubt T.J. is into 'roids . . .

Simple Jaded
09-02-2017, 05:47 PM
No matter who you are, you want to distance yourself from Anubis . . .

Anubis was an awful person.

topscribe
09-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Anubis was an awful person.
Anubis covered my butt on the Mane until I learned how to conduct myself on a message board.
Those guys are vicious over there. They had my clothes off and were ready to cover me with
tar. Anubis just sweet-talked them a little, and everything was okay.

So am I grateful? No. :coffee:

slim
09-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Top, I bet you look good with your clothes off.

Northman
09-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Anubis covered my butt on the Mane until I learned how to conduct myself on a message board.
Those guys are vicious over there. They had my clothes off and were ready to cover me with

Absolutely Grey Bush....er i mean Greybeard. :)

topscribe
09-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Fabulous. But . . . have you been peeking?

Simple Jaded
09-02-2017, 06:16 PM

Pfft, how bad could it be?

topscribe
09-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Remember when I said my hard times would curl your hair?

Simple Jaded
09-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Remember when I said my hard times would curl your hair?

I had a perm once, not so bad.

MOtorboat
09-02-2017, 06:41 PM

Lol.

Nomad
09-02-2017, 06:45 PM

He's gonna go 'Bob Barker" on your 'Billy Madison' ass. :D

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-02-2017, 08:01 PM

Jsteve01
09-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Again we have a lot more Talent on this team than we did when we lost Al Wilson. But we all saw how much better owl made everyone around him. We didn't realize how bad that defense really was until Wilson got hurt and never played another down. You can move a guy who is still a leader but his play is dropped off. But when he's playing at a pro bowl level and he's the heart and soul of a defense. That one is tough. Listen you've got the guy that is replacing him saying how much he's going to miss him. And I know that part of what you're supposed to say. But Simmons was pretty adamant yesterday that he couldn't imagine them cutting a guy like Ward with how much he brings to the team.

MasterShake
09-02-2017, 09:41 PM
This is totally a "Patriots-Style" move. Get rid of a guy a year before you hope he has no gas left in the tank. Makes no sense to me, but if you follow the money I'm sure it does somehow. Thanks TJ! Feels like they are happy with the depth at Safety hope it doesn't bite us in the ass.

Simple Jaded
09-02-2017, 09:58 PM

I had a mullet perm, it was epic.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-02-2017, 11:13 PM
I had a mullet perm, it was epic.

My mullet was actually naturally curly. :lol:

Simple Jaded
09-02-2017, 11:23 PM
My mullet was actually naturally curly. :lol:

I permed just the back, feathered the top. Long too, Duran Duran style. Put a little Sun In.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-02-2017, 11:27 PM
I permed just the back, feathered the top. Long too, Duran Duran style. Put a little Sun In.

I was all business in the front

Simple Jaded
09-02-2017, 11:29 PM
I was all business in the front

Billy Ray Syrus ruined for all of us.

Simple Jaded
09-03-2017, 03:43 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5877/tj-ward

Wasn't out of work for very long.

Cugel
09-03-2017, 05:35 AM
Buccaneers agreed to terms with SS T.J. Ward, formerly of the Broncos.
Denver cut Ward to make room for promising youngsters Justin Simmons and Will Parks to play more snaps, but there are no indications Ward is washed up. Still only 30 years old, Ward forced five fumbles and tallied three sacks for the Broncos over the last two seasons. Ward is an imposing tone setter at strong safety, albeit a coverage liability. He should still start Week 1 for Tampa Bay.

He wound up on Tampa Bay because "how many former Broncos can you sign here?" seems to be their motto. You can see why the Broncos cut him. Around the league he's viewed as "albeit a coverage liability". TJ is hardly obsolete. He's a physical intimidating player in the middle of the defense. But, they want ball coverage guys and Justin Simmons is clearly better at that. He's also younger and cheaper and they need an extra roster spot because they had to sign Brock Osweiler, because "You can never have enough Bean-Pole QBs who can't play dead in a Western!" -- John Elway

Tampa Bay is taking the position: "If the Broncos wanted him, then we want to pay him double!" Zane Beadles, Julius Thomas, Malik Jackson, now TJ Ward. They still suck however. But, they have fond hopes of winning the NFC South.

Valar Morghulis
09-03-2017, 05:38 AM
He wound up on Tampa Bay because "how many former Broncos can you sign here?" seems to be their motto. You can see why the Broncos cut him. Around the league he's viewed as "albeit a coverage liability". TJ is hardly obsolete. He's a physical intimidating player in the middle of the defense. But, they want ball coverage guys and Justin Simmons is clearly better at that. He's also younger and cheaper and they need an extra roster spot because they had to sign Brock Osweiler, because "You can never have enough Bean-Pole QBs who can't play dead in a Western!" -- John Elway Tampa Bay is taking the position: "If the Broncos wanted him, then we want to pay him double!" Zane Beadles, Julius Thomas, Malik Jackson, now TJ Ward. They still suck however. But, they have fond hopes of winning the NFC South.

What are you talking about, they all went to Florida granted, but none went to Tampa

VonDoom
09-03-2017, 06:28 AM
What are you talking about, they all went to Florida granted, but none went to Tampa

Cugel seems to be confusing Tampa and Jacksonville.

Tampa is a good spot for Ward. He gets basically what he was going to get from us and that is a team on the rise. Good for him

Cugel
09-03-2017, 07:24 AM

Oh, you're right. I keep lumping all those crappy Florida teams together and mixing them up. They all suck the same. Every one of them. Jacksonville is now the Little Engine that Could - until of course they can't, which is when they meet the Patriots twice.

Cugel
09-03-2017, 07:27 AM
Cugel seems to be confusing Tampa and Jacksonville.

Tampa is a good spot for Ward. He gets basically what he was going to get from us and that is a team on the rise. Good for him

Am I the only one? Is Tampa any better than Jacksonville? Or Miami?

I'm just glad he's now in the NFC and we don't have to play him twice a year.

tomjonesrocks
09-03-2017, 08:18 AM
Report: Former Broncos safety T.J. Ward is expected to sign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2017/9/2/16248508/report-former-broncos-safety-t-j-ward-is-expected-to-sign-with-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers

If true, as good a situation as could be hoped for for all involved. Cutting Ward will prove to be Elway's worst decision to date IMO - but this could make it marginally less painful for fans.

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Report: Former Broncos safety T.J. Ward is expected to sign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2017/9/2/16248508/report-former-broncos-safety-t-j-ward-is-expected-to-sign-with-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers

If true, as good a situation as could be hoped for for all involved. Cutting Ward will prove to be Elway's worst decision to date IMO - but this could make it marginally less painful for fans.

Oh give me a break. He was gone after next year anyway. If that's the "worst" decision Elway ever makes as a GM, then I will absolutely take that.

Northman
09-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Good luck to TJ, Tampa is getting things together there.

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Good luck to TJ, Tampa is getting things together there.

Glad he didn't go to the Raiders.

Valar Morghulis
09-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Glad he didn't go to the Raiders.

If I was him, I would have driven up to the bay area and demanded they sign me.

I would have played the Broncos twice with a ninja level chip on my shoulder

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 08:31 AM
If I was him, I would have driven up to the bay area and demanded they sign me.

I would have played the Broncos twice with a ninja level chip on my shoulder

I would have gone to the team that paid me the most money.

chazoe60
09-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Oh, you're right. I keep lumping all those crappy Florida teams together and mixing them up. They all suck the same. Every one of them. Jacksonville is now the Little Engine that Could - until of course they can't, which is when they meet the Patriots twice.

Jax doesn't play the pats twice that's Miami. I knew you didn't actually watch football, I could tell by your posts.

BroncoWave
09-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Jax doesn't play the pats twice that's Miami. I knew you didn't actually watch football, I could tell by your posts.

LOL. Cugel is the one poster on this site I have on ignore. Not because I find anything he says offensive, just because I can't take the rambling nonsense.

NightTerror218
09-03-2017, 12:08 PM
IMO losing ward and DL,injuries will make us still a top 10 defense but not top 5. Our secondary will not be best pass defense.

topscribe
09-03-2017, 12:18 PM
IMO losing ward and DL,injuries will make us still a top 10 defense but not top 5. Our secondary will not be best pass defense.
Considering that Simmons and Stewart both are far better at pass coverage than T.J., I don't
know where you get that assumption, at least at that position.

And we have Wolfe and Crick returning for the regular season, and Shaq is healthy again, and
Edebali gave a good account of himself. So I'm a bit more optimistic. Until Ray gets back and
Kerr regains his health, I say overall Top Five but not #1 yet. And still #1 at the pass defense.

gregbroncs
09-03-2017, 05:19 PM
This confirms what everybody is saying: It was just that Simmons is younger and they like his cover skills more than TJ's and Simmons seems to fit better as a starter in Joe Wood's scheme. They want to play Simmons more, and there wasn't room for TJ as a starter, and paying $5 M for a backup is not cost effective.

I think that kind of thinking is too rigid though. I'm in favour of keeping as many good players on the roster as you can get. Especially team leaders who help hold other guys accountable for success. It's a blow. No doubt, no matter what happens on the field, but they believe that Simmons is ready to take the starting role and they opened a place for him.

There won't be a problem in the locker room over that.It can destroy the team to keep a team leader and make him a backup though. If they think Simmons/Parks are ready for the starting role and favor them over Ward then Ward probably really did need to go.

It's not all about salary and just keeping better players is not always the best option for the locker room.

That said I was surprised by this move, I hope it proves to be a great move.

Cugel
09-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Oh give me a break. He was gone after next year anyway. If that's the "worst" decision Elway ever makes as a GM, then I will absolutely take that.

It's not even the worst decision Elway made in the last 2 years. Moving up in the draft to take Paxton was obviously worse! Cutting Sloter could conceivably turn out to be worse than cutting TJ.

Cugel
09-03-2017, 08:31 PM
It can destroy the team to keep a team leader and make him a backup though. If they think Simmons/Parks are ready for the starting role and favor them over Ward then Ward probably really did need to go.

It's not all about salary and just keeping better players is not always the best option for the locker room.

It's not going to be a "great move." How can it? Losing Ward does not help the team. At best Simmons turns out to be a Pro-Bowl S which TJ already was.

But, despite all the hype about how hard it would be to put TJ on the bench, who really cares? That happens all the time to veterans. I don't know why that's supposed to be such a big deal that they have to release him.

slim
09-03-2017, 08:33 PM

Folks like and respect with TJ brought to the org. BFD.

Why are you guys always so eager to tell people how they should feel? A little free advice from a vet to a newlywed, never tell someone their feelings aren't valid. That is "advice" that is NEVER well received.

gregbroncs
09-03-2017, 08:38 PM
It's not going to be a "great move." How can it? Losing Ward does not help the team. At best Simmons turns out to be a Pro-Bowl S which TJ already was.

But, despite all the hype about how hard it would be to put TJ on the bench, who really cares? That happens all the time to veterans. I don't know why that's supposed to be such a big deal that they have to release him.He was a pro bowler 2 years ago. And if that guy becomes a distraction then it's an issue that he's on the bench. Also they didn't want to pay a backup 4.5M. It also allows the player to go find a starting job that he lost here. I don't like the move but If Simmons/Parks show to be near as good as Ward this season then it was a good move. If they are all that much better next year because of playing without looking over their shoulders all of this year then it could be a great move.

Cugel
09-03-2017, 08:40 PM
It can destroy the team to keep a team leader and make him a backup though. If they think Simmons/Parks are ready for the starting role and favor them over Ward then Ward probably really did need to go.

They did that to DeMarcus Ware pretty much his last season. They turned him into a 3rd down specialist and limited his snaps because of his bad back. Even that work load was too much for him though.

I suppose that's somewhat different in that DeMarcus was hurt, but he could still play in any game. They could start TJ, then substitute him out on the first series and then use Simmons if they wanted. It would make little difference.

They wanted the roster space. They didn't want to pay him $5m. That's about as cold blooded as it was. They did this with Steve Atwater in 1999 as I recall and shipped him out (I think he played with the Jets or something).

Cugel
09-03-2017, 08:42 PM
He was a pro bowler 2 years ago. And if that guy becomes a distraction then it's an issue that he's on the bench. Also they didn't want to pay a backup 4.5M. It also allows the player to go find a starting job that he lost here. I don't like the move but If Simmons/Parks show to be near as good as Ward this season then it was a good move. If they are all that much better next year because of playing without looking over their shoulders all of this year then it could be a great move.

Well this part is certainly right: "they didn't want to pay a backup $4.5 M."

I'm not particularly butt-hurt over losing TJ. I don't think it's a good move, but it's not terrible either. I'm sure they'll be just fine without him. But, it is a net loss, that's all.

I Eat Staples
09-03-2017, 09:02 PM
Am I the only one? Is Tampa any better than Jacksonville? Or Miami?

I'm just glad he's now in the NFC and we don't have to play him twice a year.

Much better, yeah. I think Tampa wins that division this year.

VonDoom
09-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Roy Cummings‏ @RCummingsFRS

New #Bucs S TJ Ward said of how Broncos handled his dismissal: "completely unprofessional." Not how you should treat good employees.

Greg Auman‏Verified account @gregauman 41m41 minutes ago

T.J. Ward on Broncos cutting him loose: "It's unfortunate the way they handled that situation ... They've got to live with it."

Simple Jaded
09-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Roy Cummings‏ @RCummingsFRS

New #Bucs S TJ Ward said of how Broncos handled his dismissal: "completely unprofessional." Not how you should treat good employees.

Greg Auman‏Verified account @gregauman 41m41 minutes ago

T.J. Ward on Broncos cutting him loose: "It's unfortunate the way they handled that situation ... They've got to live with it."
Snowflake

slim
09-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Why is TJ being so emo? I don't understand.

slim
09-04-2017, 02:11 PM
He is clearly unhinged.

Simple Jaded
09-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Why is TJ being so emo? I don't understand.

They tried to trade him first, what more does he want?

Poet
09-04-2017, 02:52 PM
They floated him being 'traded' to the run of the mill media guys. I don't blame him for being pissy. He'll be fine, though.

Timmy!
09-04-2017, 04:22 PM
So we aren't gonna throw TJ under the bus for openly badmouthing the Broncos in his news conference? "Whatever happens to them.......happens to them." Go figure.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Some things from article:

CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- T.J. Ward signed with the Buccaneers and wasted no time Monday shooting a verbal cannon ball from the pirate ship at his former team.

Released last Saturday by the Broncos, Ward called Denver's treatment of him during his exit "unprofessional."

The team respectfully disagrees. Denver7 talked to multiple league sources regarding Ward's release. The Broncos' argument for the timing was simple: They did not make a decision on Ward until last week, deciding that second-year player Justin Simmons was ready after a strong preseason. They also told Ward's agent at the beginning of training camp, according to a source, that there would be no talks on a contract extension.

In the end, Ward found himself in the NFL danger zone -- an aging player who missed the final two games last season with injuries and did not play in the preseason because of a strained right hamstring.

"There was kind of a buzz, so I’m not going to say it was surprising. The buzz started a couple of days before. So, we had an idea it was going to happen. We talked about it. Him and I talked about it. We just hoped he made more money there then what he was going to make here this year. He did that, so I’m happy for him," cornerback Aqib Talib said. "I found out I got traded (from Tampa Bay to New England) while I was in a hyperbaric chamber. That's part of being a pro. TJ will do great."

Ward's exit creates an opportunity for Simmons. Teammates stress his maturity and intelligence when explaining why he's ready.

"The ball just finds him," linebacker Todd Davis said. "He's a playmaker."

While Ward is gone, he did not take the secondary's brand with him. The No Fly Zone remains. Attitude, performance, and picks required.

"Yeah, ain't nobody flying," Talib said. "They still can't fly. TJ knows we love him. We are going to miss him. We have jobs to do. That's part of being professionals. You can put us anywhere and we adapt."

full article - http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/tj-ward-rips-broncos-calls-handling-of-his-exit-unprofessional

Northman
09-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Someone's triggered. lol

Joel
09-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Someone's triggered. lol
It's OK: In two years he'll get cut because he sucks, we'll re-sign him, he'll tell the Denver media he'd have come back for bus fare and all will be forgiven. :)

Tned
09-04-2017, 09:09 PM
They did that to DeMarcus Ware pretty much his last season. They turned him into a 3rd down specialist and limited his snaps because of his bad back. Even that work load was too much for him though.

I suppose that's somewhat different in that DeMarcus was hurt, but he could still play in any game. They could start TJ, then substitute him out on the first series and then use Simmons if they wanted. It would make little difference.

They wanted the roster space. They didn't want to pay him $5m. That's about as cold blooded as it was. They did this with Steve Atwater in 1999 as I recall and shipped him out (I think he played with the Jets or something).

If they had done that, they would have to cut the UDFA Carter that other players are talking up as a find. Plus, in this day and age of going against spread offenses, it's not always easy to rotate out players the way you described.

If he lost his spot to a young player, then it's time to move on. If not for Carter, I bet they would have discussed a restructure, but having Simmons and Parks waiting in the wings and then apparently quality depth in Carter, who maybe it was Talib said reminds him exactly of Ward, there was no room for the aging vet that's struggling to stay on the field.