PDA

View Full Version : Local write up on Paradis

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-29-2017, 11:20 AM
Here's a local (local to me in the Boise area) article on Matt Paradis.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/bronco-beat-blog/article169108457.html

Buff
08-29-2017, 11:26 AM
I'm over the narrative that he's the league's best center. I understand PFF graded him out high last year - but he anchored one of the absolute worse lines in the league and he gets overpowered somewhat regularly. I like the guy - but he's been overhyped IMO. He's a slightly above average center, which makes him a steal as a 6th rounder, and I'm happy he's getting healthy.

Valar Morghulis
08-29-2017, 11:29 AM
I'm over the narrative that he's the league's best center. I understand PFF graded him out high last year - but he anchored one of the absolute worse lines in the league and he gets overpowered somewhat regularly. I like the guy - but he's been overhyped IMO. He's a slightly above average center, which makes him a steal as a 6th rounder, and I'm happy he's getting healthy.

Sell high

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-29-2017, 11:54 AM
I agree with you to a point. I think when healthy he's more than just slightly above average, although last year it probably fits mostly due to the lack of practice affecting cohesiveness.

Sell high
Don't be a hooker Dave!

In all seriousness, I'm not trying to hype him as one of the two or three best, but merely giving you guys a snapshot of my community. There's also a blurb about Billy Winn in the link.

Simple Jaded
08-29-2017, 08:21 PM
Sampro getting looks at C on Thursday.

McGovern looks pretty solid.

Day has stupid hair.

Sell high.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-29-2017, 08:23 PM
Sampro getting looks at C on Thursday.

McGovern looks pretty solid.

Day has stupid hair.

Sell high.

Don't bastardize my thread.

Simple Jaded
08-29-2017, 08:24 PM
Don't bastardize my thread.

I waited so long!

Eight hours!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-29-2017, 08:53 PM
I waited so long!

Eight hours!
I admit, your synicism was expected much sooner.

Simple Jaded
08-29-2017, 09:05 PM
In all seriously, I like Paradis.

And Day has stupid hair.

Joel
08-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Actually, when put "best in the league" is put in perspective as "slightly better than Alex Mack and Travis Frederick" it's a great reminder how unreliable PFF is. And when I say, "unreliable," I don't mean "they're always wrong about everything," I mean UNRELIABLE. If they were always wrong, well, that could be informative (or at least predictive) too as long as it was consistent, but they're not "always" anything. It's like Bleacher Report: One article might be unfit to line a birdcage and the next might be the most thorough, well researched and astutely observed piece you've ever seen—it all depends on which regular columnist wrote it.

Cugel
08-30-2017, 09:59 PM

Paradis played all season long with injuries to both hips that took surgery. He'd been dealing with this damage for years and finally after the season he underwent re-constructive surgery.

“This was something we knew might have to be done all the way back to his college days,” Dr. McLaughlin told The Denver Post following Paradis’ first surgery in January. “It was brought up pre-draft with a couple of teams. It was something always on the horizon. Toward the end of last year he had a little discomfort, but it wasn’t anywhere like this.”

Paradis was the only Bronco to play every offensive snap the past two seasons (2,180), and he did so despite persistent pain in his hips (http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/15/matt-paradis-successful-hip-surgery-broncos/). To preserve his center’s health for the duration of the season, former head coach Gary Kubiak had Paradis observe the majority of the team’s practices, especially late in the season.

Paradis figures to return to a revamped line with some new faces next season as general manager John Elway and new head coach Vance Joseph work to improve the offense. Although Paradis graded out as the top center in the NFL by Pro Football Focus this past season, the lack of cohesion and consistency among the front five has made the line a priority — perhaps the biggest — for the Broncos to address this off-season.

“I think our offensive line does need to play better. Our offense will go as far as our offensive line will take them,” offensive coordinator Mike McCoy said recently.

I can't even imagine playing 16 games in such serious pain that coach Kubiak held me out of practice because I was just too hurt to practice! But, I took the field on Sunday anyway and did my job. I could never do that. My hat's off to Paradis. He is one seriously tough dude.

This year for the first time since early in his college career he's healthy with two clean hip-bones all-healed up.

Despite all this he played pretty well last year. I would expect him to be among the best centers in football this year. We'll see, but he's clearly on that path. Paradis has always been well known for how smart he is, and much film work he puts in and how well he understands the offense (a major requirement for centers who must give the OL calls, so they have to understand nearly as much as the QB does about the play, and the adjustments to the play). If he's finally healthy for a season, the sky's the limit on how good he could become.

Joel
08-30-2017, 11:47 PM
Paradis played all season long with injuries to both hips that took surgery. He'd been dealing with this damage for years and finally after the season he underwent re-constructive surgery.

I can't even imagine playing 16 games in such serious pain that coach Kubiak held me out of practice because I was just too hurt to practice! But, I took the field on Sunday anyway and did my job. I could never do that. My hat's off to Paradis. He is one seriously tough dude.

This year for the first time since early in his college career he's healthy with two clean hip-bones all-healed up.

Despite all this he played pretty well last year. I would expect him to be among the best centers in football this year. We'll see, but he's clearly on that path. Paradis has always been well known for how smart he is, and much film work he puts in and how well he understands the offense (a major requirement for centers who must give the OL calls, so they have to understand nearly as much as the QB does about the play, and the adjustments to the play). If he's finally healthy for a season, the sky's the limit on how good he could become.
Not questioning his toughness or smarts; the latter is a big part of why he's such a great pass blocker: He's still underpowered as a run blocker, even at a spot that often has help blocking NTs who have as much as 50 lbs. on him. He's our best interior lineman (unless Leary wins that title) but that says more of them than of him.