PDA

View Full Version : Paxton Lynch to miss a couple games with shoulder injury

Denver Native (Carol)
08-28-2017, 01:56 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Quarterback Paxton Lynch will miss "a couple games" because of a sprained right shoulder suffered early in the third quarter of Saturday's preseason win over the Green Bay Packers, Head Coach Vance Joseph announced after practice Monday.

Lynch was injured when he was sacked by Packers linebacker Reggie Gilbert and landed hard on his throwing shoulder. He did not return to the game and underwent an MRI examination a day later, which revealed the extent of the injury.

Lynch's injury will likely impact the overall roster construction, as it will almost certainly force the Broncos to keep three quarterbacks on their 53-man roster heading into Week 1. The team must pare its roster to 53 players by 2 p.m. MDT on Saturday, Sept. 2.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Paxton-Lynch-to-miss-a-couple-games-with-shoulder-injury/4c7a705f-d5d8-4b6a-a9bd-40fdbf5db303

slim
08-28-2017, 02:00 PM
Sloter!!!!

weazel
08-28-2017, 02:03 PM
maybe they can put him on IR for the entire season.

slim
08-28-2017, 02:04 PM

In a paper bag with an apple!!!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-28-2017, 02:08 PM

Then he wouldn't be allowed to practice. They might as well cut him if they're going to do that.

This will give is an idea if Sloter is a better #2. I'm persuaded he is.

slim
08-28-2017, 02:09 PM
So Sloter is going to play the entire game next week?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-28-2017, 02:10 PM
So Sloter is going to play the entire game next week?

Yes

slim
08-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Yes

Sweet! Now I have a reason to watch!!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Sweet! Now I have a reason to watch!!

I thought you watched games with Trevor's mom?

slim
08-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Don't they have to sign a veteran now to be QB2?

Joel
08-28-2017, 02:49 PM
Sloter!!!!
Agreed!!!

I thought you watched games with Trevor's mom?
Is this a euphemism?!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-28-2017, 03:00 PM
But the bigger concern is beyond Thursday. Joseph’s original plan was to keep only two quarterbacks on the active roster: Siemian as No. 1 and Lynch as No. 2. But Lynch’s injury could sideline him for the first couple of weeks, at least.

With roster cuts looming (Sept. 2), the Broncos could keep Sloter as the quarterback for the fourth preseason game, then look outside for veteran help, either among the pool of free agents or via trade. Doing so will require using a spot on the 53-man roster that would otherwise be allocated elsewhere, and if a vested veteran is on the active roster for Week 1, his salary for the season is guaranteed.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/28/paxton-lynch-shoulder-injury/

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 23m

Talking with source close to Lynch, said no surgery needed. But going to need some rest, obviously. At least 3 weeks, 2 regular season gms

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 2h

#Broncos VJ said Jordan Taylor is the emergency QB this week. It's Sloter's game @DenverChannel

Denver Native (Carol)
08-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 38s

Isaiah McKenzie asked how he'd do at QB: "Yeah, don't ask me. I'm too short to see over the line."

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Agreed!!!

Is this a euphemism?!!!

Indeed-

slim
08-28-2017, 04:44 PM
I feel bad for T-Sim's mom....I mean, have seen the size of that guys melon?

dogfish
08-28-2017, 09:08 PM
just when he was on the cusp of really breaking out, too. . .

Hawgdriver
08-28-2017, 09:39 PM
just when he was on the cusp of really breaking out, too. . .

You talking about Lynch, or Siemian's melon?

Poet
08-28-2017, 10:27 PM
If we were lucky this would have happened to TS again and then the talented guys could have played in the regular season.

dogfish
08-28-2017, 10:51 PM
You talking about Lynch, or Siemian's melon?

that metrosexual pirate is too nice to go tanya harding. . . tanya had serious grit. . .

Tned
08-28-2017, 10:52 PM
If we were lucky this would have happened to TS again and then the talented guys could have played in the regular season.

Spoken like a true Bengals fan.

Did you mean Sloter and Jordan Taylor?

Tned
08-28-2017, 10:54 PM
that metrosexual pirate is too nice to go tanya harding. . . tanya had serious grit. . .

Ok, gun to your head, which one would you have done? Harding or Kerrigan?

dogfish
08-28-2017, 10:59 PM
Ok, gun to your head, which one would you have done? Harding or Kerrigan?

tanya for sure-- you know she's a freaky chick. . . :laugh:

Tned
08-28-2017, 11:02 PM
tanya for sure-- you know she's a freaky chick. . . :laugh:

I knew you would go there. I would probably go for the prissy, uptight ice queen next door, Kerrigan.

chazoe60
08-28-2017, 11:18 PM

That's a pretty shit thing to say.

Tned
08-28-2017, 11:24 PM

I'm sure he meant it as a joke, but considering his rants about Siemian last year, I'm probably being generous with that assumption.

Must remember, he's been a Broncos fan for about 10 seconds, so he might not know it isn't cool to wish or even joke about wishing injuries on Broncos players.

Cugel
08-28-2017, 11:27 PM
Now we know that the Broncos don't think much of Sloter. I don't understand it. I saw only good things from him. Yet, they appear to be ready to simply cut him and then hope he clears waivers so they can sign him to the Practice Squad.

Even if they do this, they are not thinking of him as their #2. They are signing a veteran QB to backup until Paxton is ready to come back.

My opinion is that Sloter is already better than Paxton, so what's the point of signing a veteran? Why not use Sloter until Paxton is ready to come back at least?

Noooope.

Poet
08-28-2017, 11:51 PM

Tongue and cheek, Chaz. There's levels to this shit. When it comes to QB's, we're men without a country. Most can agree that it would take a lot for TS to take a big step forward and be QBOTF. Assume it's true - if it is, making the playoffs in our division and schedule is hard. Assume we miss the playoffs and again, assume TS isn't the QBOTF - then we lost out on the season and prepping for next season while also getting what would probably be an average first round pick.

It's a scenario that's not unlikely.

I think we can probably get 9ish wins, but that's not usually enough for the WC.

dogfish
08-29-2017, 12:10 AM
Tongue and cheek, Chaz. There's levels to this shit. When it comes to QB's, we're men without a country. Most can agree that it would take a lot for TS to take a big step forward and be QBOTF. Assume it's true - if it is, making the playoffs in our division and schedule is hard. Assume we miss the playoffs and again, assume TS isn't the QBOTF - then we lost out on the season and prepping for next season while also getting what would probably be an average first round pick.

It's a scenario that's not unlikely.

I think we can probably get 9ish wins, but that's not usually enough for the WC.

i don't think that's unfair, but what exactly is the alternative? say F it, play lynch, and tank the season for a better draft pick next year?

we'll let you be the one to go explain that shit to aqib talib and von miller. . .

Poet
08-29-2017, 12:20 AM
i don't think that's unfair, but what exactly is the alternative? say F it, play lynch, and tank the season for a better draft pick next year?

we'll let you be the one to go explain that shit to aqib talib and von miller. . .

I'm not saying we should start Lynch - the pirate shivered his timbers and walked off the plank. The point is that the slightly pessimistic view almost makes it feel like the scenario plays out better on the odds.

You guys need to appreciate caustic one liners.

dogfish
08-29-2017, 12:23 AM
The point is that the slightly pessimistic view almost makes it feel like the scenario plays out better on the odds.

this i can appreciate. . .

but, let's fight!

Hawgdriver
08-29-2017, 12:33 AM
I knew you would go there. I would probably go for the prissy, uptight ice queen next door, Kerrigan.

A young bull and an old bull crest a hill and come upon a meadow filled with beautiful heffers. . .

Canmore
08-29-2017, 01:12 AM

Ice cold.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-29-2017, 08:47 AM
Now we know that the Broncos don't think much of Sloter. I don't understand it. I saw only good things from him. Yet, they appear to be ready to simply cut him and then hope he clears waivers so they can sign him to the Practice Squad.

Even if they do this, they are not thinking of him as their #2. They are signing a veteran QB to backup until Paxton is ready to come back.

My opinion is that Sloter is already better than Paxton, so what's the point of signing a veteran? Why not use Sloter until Paxton is ready to come back at least?

Noooope.

Part of me wonders if VJ is a "yes man" to John and John wants his hand picked QB to have EVERY opportunity to succeed.

slim
08-29-2017, 08:54 AM
Part of me wonders if VJ is a "yes man" to John and John wants his hand picked QB to have EVERY opportunity to succeed.

If he were truly a "yes man", then Paxton would be starting?

chazoe60
08-29-2017, 09:42 AM
Paxton is so bad that at this point I would trade him straight across for Blake Bortels.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-29-2017, 10:17 AM
If he were truly a "yes man", then Paxton would be starting?

He was given half the reps with the starters when he was clearly not ready. He should be our #3 quarterback.

slim
08-29-2017, 10:44 AM
He was given half the reps with the starters when he was clearly not ready. He should be our #3 quarterback.

I can not disagree with you.

Cugel
08-29-2017, 11:03 AM

No doubt Elway wants to see his #1 pick that he traded UP to get pay off. It's just that the team never was very high on Sloter. He "exceeded expectations" which will get you a Mocha Latte at Starbucks, if you also have around $3.

The difference is that the team isn't interested in trying out untested rookies when they have expectations of going to the playoffs. You can say "it's only a backup job" but they want veteran backups too.

I think next off-season, if Sloter is still on the roster, we'll see him get a chance to compete for a job along side Chad Kelly, whom they are protecting on IR this season.

Joel
08-29-2017, 12:59 PM
No doubt Elway wants to see his #1 pick that he traded UP to get pay off. It's just that the team never was very high on Sloter. He "exceeded expectations" which will get you a Mocha Latte at Starbucks, if you also have around $3.

The difference is that the team isn't interested in trying out untested rookies when they have expectations of going to the playoffs. You can say "it's only a backup job" but they want veteran backups too.

I think next off-season, if Sloter is still on the roster, we'll see him get a chance to compete for a job along side Chad Kelly, whom they are protecting on IR this season.
Next offseason could be VERY interesting, even if Siemian has a sophomore slump and Machine Gun Kelly shoots up cheerleading practice after beating up the Punt, Pass & Kick winners. Lynch is running out of second chances to flip the switch or whatever; Sloter and Kelly may be long shots, but with all the physical tools, and we already have a guy who won the job by mastering the playbook despite merely average physical tools: The one who beat out the 1st round pick two years running.

People can say Lynchs trade value will be negligible if he's not starting by seasons end, but there are always lots of QB-desperate teams with middling draft picks willing to take a flyer trying to turn a 1st round bust into the next Steve Young or Brett Favre at a reasonable price. And if he's still "seasoning" in his THIRD season, that's probably the most value we'll ever get out of Lynch; it'll be time to let Sloter and Kelly take their turns battling Siemian to see if potential>performance while we look for a legit early round prospect in the 2018 draft.

All of which means this injury, however minor and brief, couldn't have come at a worse time. Ask Drew Bledsoe how quickly a minor injury can reduce even a #1 overall pick to permanent clipboard duty if some eager young go-getter seizes a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with both hands and refuses to let go.

LawDog
08-29-2017, 06:14 PM
Next offseason could be VERY interesting, even if Siemian has a sophomore slump and Machine Gun Kelly shoots up cheerleading practice after beating up the Punt, Pass & Kick winners. Lynch is running out of second chances to flip the switch or whatever; Sloter and Kelly may be long shots, but with all the physical tools, and we already have a guy who won the job by mastering the playbook despite merely average physical tools: The one who beat out the 1st round pick two years running.

People can say Lynchs trade value will be negligible if he's not starting by seasons end, but there are always lots of QB-desperate teams with middling draft picks willing to take a flyer trying to turn a 1st round bust into the next Steve Young or Brett Favre at a reasonable price. And if he's still "seasoning" in his THIRD season, that's probably the most value we'll ever get out of Lynch; it'll be time to let Sloter and Kelly take their turns battling Siemian to see if potential>performance while we look for a legit early round prospect in the 2018 draft.

All of which means this injury, however minor and brief, couldn't have come at a worse time. Ask Drew Bledsoe how quickly a minor injury can reduce even a #1 overall pick to permanent clipboard duty if some eager young go-getter seizes a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with both hands and refuses to let go.

The Texans already bit on that once. Not sure there's a strong market for Elway's 7-foot QB Experiment castoffs.

Joel
08-30-2017, 11:57 AM
The Texans already bit on that once. Not sure there's a strong market for Elway's 7-foot QB Experiment castoffs.
There will be multiple other teams every bit as desperate or more, but without a top ten pick for a shot at a legit prospect. Cleveland could actually manage a finish ABOVE the bottom five for a change, and the next time they don't enter the offseason in desperate need of a QB will be the first. It's not a matter of believing Lynch is just in a bad situation (though with our line and two new coaching staffs in as many season there's an argument for that.) It's more that when you have ONLY one shot it's automatically your BEST shot—even if it's still pretty bad. Here's the current QB depth chart for all 32 teams:

Arizona: A 37-year-old Palmer, Stanton and Gabbert
Atlanta: Ryan, Schaub, Chris Simms' kid brother and Alex Torgersen
Baltimore: Flacco and Mallett
Buffalo: Tyrod, Yates and Nathan Peterman
Carolina: Cam, Derek Anderson (who's somehow still playing) and Joe Webb
Chicago: Glennon, Trubisky and Butt Fumble
Cincinatti: Dalton, McCarron and Jeff Driskel
Cleveland: Kizer, Oz and Kessler
Dallas: Dak, Moore, Luke McCown and Cooper Rush
Detroit: Stafford, Jake Rudock and Brad Kaaya
Green Bay: Rodgers, Hundley and Joe Callahan
Houston: Savage, Watson and Weeden. Sidebar: Good job by O'Brien finally figuring out which guy he ALREADY HAD should start—only took FOUR SEASONS! :)
Indianapolis: Luck, Tolzien, Stephen Morris, Phillip Walker. Yeah, if I had Indys line I'd carry four QBs too (yet Joseph refuses to even carry three.)
Jacksonville: Bortles, Henne and Brandon Allen
Kansas City: Smith, Mahomes and Tyler Bray
Chargers: Rivers, Clemens and Cardale Jones
Rams: Goff, Manion and Orlovsky
Miami: Tannehill, Moore and David Fales
Minnesota: Bridgewater (?) Keenum and Taylor Heineke
New England: A 40-year-old Brady, Garoppolo and Brissett
New Orleans: A 38-year-old Brees, Daniel, Garrett Grayson and Ryan Nassib
Giants: Eli, Geno Smith, Davis Webb and Josh Johnson
Jets: Josh McCown, Hackenberg and Petty
Oakland: Carr, Cook and Manuel
Philadelphia: Wentz, Foles and McGloin
San Francisco: Hoyer, Beathard and Barkley
Seattle: Wilson and Boykin
Tampa Bay: Winston, Fitzpatrick, Griffin and Liufau
Tennessee: Mariota, Cassel and Alex Tanney
Washington: Cousins, McCoy and Sudfeld

Some of that's open to debate; it's too soon to know whether Trubisky, Kizer, Watson, Hackenberg and Beathard will be the saviors their GMs hoped, the doom they feared or (much more likely) something in the vast area in between. The same applies to a great extent with Goff, Wentz and even Bortles. Likewise, we can't know how well Tannehill and Bridgewater will recover from their injuries; the latter practically detached his lower leg from his body, so Peyton Manning's played more recently.

That said, I count 11 teams likely to be in need of a potential starter a year from now, four of them likely to be in DESPERATE need. Eleven teams couldn't draft in the top ten even if there were ten plausible franchise QBs in next years draft, which there won't be: All but a few of those teams will be left out in the cold, forced to reach in mid-rounds in hopes of a Wilson or Dak—or make a decent offer for someone elses former 1st rounder and hope he's the next Young or Favre.

We're talking about a former 1st round QB, not a 4th round RB. If Lynch can't win the starting job by this time next year, there WILL be interest, it's just a question of how much and whether it's enough to convince Elway he'd gain more from a trade than keeping Lynch for his final contract year and hoping fourth try's a charm.

Joel
08-30-2017, 12:24 PM
As to potential vets we could bring in for $1-2 million/week through the end of September, Broncos Wire lists 7 QBs who "may become available" to us (http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/28/nfl-roster-cuts-7-quarterbacks-may-become-available-to-denver-broncos/2/) after final cuts:

1. Geno Smith/Josh Johnson. Johnson cons: He has 5 TDs in 10 seasons. Johnson pros: He's not Geno Smith.
2. Matt Barkley. The guy who couldn't take the starting job from Cutler evidently can't even take it from Hoyer, and Beathard's the designated QBotF.
3. Cody Kessler. He's the best QB they've had since longer than their fans want to remember, so naturally Cleveland's dumping him to ride with Kizer backed by Oz.
4. Luke McCown. I'd say something biting but, like most people, can't tell the difference between him and his brother. Which actually IS a pretty biting comment.
5. Connor Shaw. Shown in a Browns jersey and losing the backup battle to Glennon and Butt Fumble: Even Chicago and Cleveland felt safer with a rookie and SanchOz.
6. Ryan Nassib. I have NO idea who this is, but the article says he's fighting for the #3 spot on a team that may carry only two QBs.
7. Austin Davis. We could get him BACK, Broncos fans! Rub your lucky Kroenke voodoo doll, Shane, because he or possibly Kessler look like the best of the bunch.

"Best" is, however, a relative term. None of those guys screams title contender, nor even murmurs game manager (maybe Davis does the latter, a little.) If you've only got one shot it's still automatically the "best"—but we have Sloter, who may not be a first ballot HoFer, but looks at least as good as any of them yet costs millions less. And we're not seeking someone to run the offense all year: If we pick a dud, the worst case is an 0-3 start IF (heaven forbid) Siemian goes down Opening Day.