PDA

View Full Version : Cut Paxton

Pages : [1] 2

Hawgdriver
08-22-2017, 11:39 AM
This is the thread where I say we should cut Paxton and everyone tells me why my idea is dumb.

Reasons:

1. Paxton is has demonstrated a lack of awareness and consistent accuracy incompatible with the NFL QB position.

2. It invites a perpetual QB competition in future years and sustains the distracting Trevor vs. Paxton narrative.

3. It signals strong leadership and direction, unifies the team. Reminds me of the decision to roll with Russell Wilson despite spending millions on Flynn.

4. It allows Sloter or to stay on the roster, and/or opens up another spot on the 53.

Reasons not to:

1. Trevor has not proven he can stay healthy a full season.

2. It requires the front office to admit drafting him was incorrect.

3. Paxton might turn it around.

4. Player contract and payroll/cap factors along with current ability.

VJ apparently cut Sloter from the 53, but it seems to me if you are going to keep an underseasoned QB on the roster, it should be Sloter and not Lynch.

Buff
08-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Counterpoints:

-- Sloter will be on the practice squad and can easily be activated if Trevor goes down with injury.

-- Paxton's running ability, and brief regular season experience, actually make him a pretty attractive backup QB. He's serviceable for a backup. As Klis said on twitter the other day, you could amend the playbook, limit his liability, and get by with him if you had to.

-- A first round talent with his physical skills would at least fetch a 5th-7th rounder if we decided to give up on him.

Timmy!
08-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Your idea is bad and you should feel bad.

BeefStew25
08-22-2017, 12:00 PM
Hawg doing lash out threads. Wow.

ShaneFalco
08-22-2017, 12:01 PM
you could just trade him....

Buff
08-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Hawg doing lash out threads. Wow.

You'd be pissed too if you wife made you drive 10 hours to see that eclipse.

Hawgdriver
08-22-2017, 12:02 PM
Counterpoints:

-- Sloter will be on the practice squad and can easily be activated if Trevor goes down with injury.

-- Paxton's running ability, and brief regular season experience, actually make him a pretty attractive backup QB. He's serviceable for a backup. As Klis said on twitter the other day, you could amend the playbook, limit his liability, and get by with him if you had to.

-- A first round talent with his physical skills would at least fetch a 5th-7th rounder if we decided to give up on him.

I disagree with points 1 and 3, but if you are right then I am stoked to be wrong.

For #2, I don't see either Lynch or, e.g., Sloter winning games as QB unless they are carried by the rest of the team. Amending the playbook for Lynch...I guess? Would rather not have to find out because that sounds to me like an offense that is easier to limit.

BeefStew25
08-22-2017, 12:04 PM
You'd be pissed too if you wife made you drive 10 hours to see that eclipse.

Its like online dating. You drive an hour and meet her and she's fat, and you realize she didn't have any full body shots in her profile.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2017, 12:09 PM
I have no counter points. I suggested the same thing yesterday. The eye test tells me Sloter is much closer to being ready than Lynch and yet has similar tangibles.

I will be pissed if Sloter goes elsewhere because he might have the highest ceiling out of all of our quarterbacks. Cutting him and keeping some WR who will make little to no contribution makes no sense to me.

BeefStew25
08-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Its like online dating. You drive an hour and meet her and she's fat, and you realize she didn't have any full body shots in her profile.

Or she does, but it was when W was in office. Hey take a full body shot with today's USA Today.

Hawgdriver
08-22-2017, 12:19 PM

What is Paxton's trade value?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2017, 12:21 PM

Probably not much at this point

FanInAZ
08-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Counterpoints:

If he's on the PS, any other team can simply sign him away, like the Cards did back in 2014 when they signed QB Ryan Lindley off of the Chargers' PS. Granted, we would be given a chance to block it, but we'd have to put him on the active roster which would require us to cut someone else.

NightTerror218
08-22-2017, 12:37 PM
Lynch is very raw and needs time to develop. He was projected as multi year project. I think that is why Musgrave is here.

Also he needs like experience. A couple games and a few live series really means nothing in terms of a QB. I think his issues is learning a new playbook. He was looking good in OTA with a smaller playbook.

Tned
08-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Cut Hawgdriver!!!

Tned
08-22-2017, 12:46 PM

A fifth rounder, maybe a fourth, but I think that would be pushing it. If you have a team with an OC/QB coach that thinks he can make the difference (we've seen that a lot over the years), then maybe someone offers a bit more.

Hawgdriver
08-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Lynch is very raw and needs time to develop.

Is there proof that Lynch has the ability to 'develop'?

Tned
08-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Is there proof that Lynch has the ability to 'develop'?

Yes. He's a first round pick with a high ceiling. It's been established that scouts always get it right. /sarcasm

Serious answer. No, obviously not, but when you look at what the upside would be if he does, it's worth giving the kid some more time.

Hawgdriver
08-22-2017, 01:00 PM
Yes. He's a first round pick with a high ceiling. It's been established that scouts always get it right. /sarcasm

Serious answer. No, obviously not, but when you look at what the upside would be if he does, it's worth giving the kid some more time.

"if he does"

It seems wrong to me to sidestep the central question.

Tned
08-22-2017, 01:01 PM
"if he does"

It seems wrong to me to sidestep the central question.

We would have to have "the vision" and a crystal ball to know if it's an "if" or "when." It's impossible to know if he will improve or how much he will.

ShaneFalco
08-22-2017, 01:04 PM

Jets. Jags. Still LF a prospect.

Prolly could get a 3rd.

Or a player at least.

Hawgdriver
08-22-2017, 01:25 PM
We would have to have "the vision" and a crystal ball to know if it's an "if" or "when." It's impossible to know if he will improve or how much he will.

This attitude--throws hands in air--is markedly different than the attitude that presents data regarding 1st year QB performance. It's not impossible to measure a developing QB's progress, we just don't have quick access to the data.

Tned
08-22-2017, 01:40 PM
This attitude--throws hands in air--is markedly different than the attitude that presents data regarding 1st year QB performance. It's not impossible to measure a developing QB's progress, we just don't have quick access to the data.

There is a difference. Siemian is good enough to be an NFL starter, not just on the Broncos, but quite a few teams. So, the fact that he started 14.5 games, we can compare his performance (not potential) against other first year starters.

In Lynch, we have a guy that was a 2-3 year project and that couldn't beat out Siemian as a rookie or second year player. To our eyes, in limited playing time, he doesn't seem markedly improved, but the coaches claim he has made strides. Considering last year he was working on skills like repeating plays on the sideline, because in college he was never asked to call a play in a huddle, he had a long way to go.

There is absolutely no way to know if Lynch can develop, other than to give it time and see if he does develop. The same way there is no way to know if Siemian will get better in his 2nd or 3rd year starting, unless he gets a second and third year. All the talk of him already reaching his ceiling or being able to do much better with a better line and running game is nothing more than speculation. Siemian has to go and prove it. Lynch has to go and prove whether he can develop into a starting QB, there is no way to know if he can.

slim
08-22-2017, 01:41 PM
I disagree with points 1 and 3, but if you are right then I am stoked to be wrong.

For #2, I don't see either Lynch or, e.g., Sloter winning games as QB unless they are carried by the rest of the team. Amending the playbook for Lynch...I guess? Would rather not have to find out because that sounds to me like an offense that is easier to limit.

Teams typically don't carry 3 QBs. Do you really think a team is going to sign Sloter to their 53 man roster as a QB2?

He will be on the PS.

Buff
08-22-2017, 01:48 PM
There is a difference. Siemian is good enough to be an NFL starter, not just on the Broncos, but quite a few teams. So, the fact that he started 14.5 games, we can compare his performance (not potential) against other first year starters.

In Lynch, we have a guy that was a 2-3 year project and that couldn't beat out Siemian as a rookie or second year player. To our eyes, in limited playing time, he doesn't seem markedly improved, but the coaches claim he has made strides. Considering last year he was working on skills like repeating plays on the sideline, because in college he was never asked to call a play in a huddle, he had a long way to go.

There is absolutely no way to know if Lynch can develop, other than to give it time and see if he does develop. The same way there is no way to know if Siemian will get better in his 2nd or 3rd year starting, unless he gets a second and third year. All the talk of him already reaching his ceiling or being able to do much better with a better line and running game is nothing more than speculation. Siemian has to go and prove it. Lynch has to go and prove whether he can develop into a starting QB, there is no way to know if he can.

Siemian flashed sufficient ability in his rookie year that we felt obligated to keep 3 QBs on a Super Bowl winning roster.

Paxton hasn't flashed that ability. He's just getting by on pedigree. Or in other words, I think we know more than you suggest at this stage. We should probably look hard at trading Paxton this offseason if we feel like Sloter and Kelly are on the come.

Tned
08-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Siemian flashed sufficient ability in his rookie year that we felt obligated to keep 3 QBs on a Super Bowl winning roster.

Paxton hasn't flashed that ability. He's just getting by on pedigree. Or in other words, I think we know more than you suggest at this stage. We should probably look hard at trading Paxton this offseason if we feel like Sloter and Kelly are on the come.

Unless the 2-3 projections on him were correct, and then he might be worth waiting for. How Siemian does this year, combined with Kelly's health and lack of shooting up any nightclubs, along with how the Broncos feel about Sloter could go a long way in determining if they want to wait on Paxton.

It's only a guess, but my guess is that Joseph is serious when he talks about how a coaching staff loves the idea of a QB with Lynch's physical tools. The fact that the reports are that Lynch is dramatically improved in shorts and one on one type drills, but starts to struggle in padded, team drills and non scripted, tells me that he's starting to get the fundamentals down, but is still having to think too much when it comes to real scenario-based football.

That part could become more second nature to him with more time, and let him just go out and focus on making plays, rather than thinking hard to not make mistakes.

On the flip side, his apparently inability to go through his progressions and scan the whole field maybe something he can never overcome. I just think it's too early to know, and the upside to it "clicking" when he's a Broncos is more valuable than a mid to late round pick we might get for him.

Timmy!
08-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Holy shit, I just figured it out. Defective eclipse glasses have caused hawgs brain to melt. Others are showing symptoms as well. We're gonna miss you guys.

Hawgdriver
08-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Teams typically don't carry 3 QBs. Do you really think a team is going to sign Sloter to their 53 man roster as a QB2?

He will be on the PS.

Probably, but there is precedent for claiming UDFA QB after cuts. His preseason film is of a quality similar to other highly drafted rookie QBs. Some reports of scouts that hoped to nab him after the draft, and now he's got real film.

There are some teams with QB questions, and about 10-20 teams will carry 3, including a developing player. Is Sloter a better use of a roster spot than a Nathan Peterman, Cooper Rush, Brad Kaaya, Dan Orlovsky, Nate Sudfeld, or Thaddeus Lewis? It would not surprise me if some front offices out there felt the answer is yes.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB

BroncoJoe
08-22-2017, 03:43 PM
Cut the bitch.

:yo:

BroncoJoe
08-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Cut the bitch.

You know, the more I think about it and watch his presser, the more I don't like the kid.

"I'm not sure, specifically, what I need to do."

I get he was upset he wasn't chosen - but comeon. He is a little bitch.

Tned
08-22-2017, 04:29 PM
Cut the bitch.

He's going to have to man up quite a bit to reach bitch level.

Tned
08-22-2017, 04:30 PM
You know, the more I think about it and watch his presser, the more I don't like the kid.

"I don't know what I need to improve."

I get he was upset he wasn't chosen - but comeon. He is a little bitch.

Participation :first:

Northman
08-22-2017, 04:54 PM
Nah, you dont cut him, not this soon. If he cant progress after this year than you can decide on what to do with him but right now is way to early.

Hawgdriver
08-22-2017, 05:08 PM
but right now is way to early.

Why?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2017, 06:01 PM
It's not so much that I don't think Lynch should be given another year to develop. I just don't think he's a better prospect than Sloter

Northman
08-22-2017, 06:06 PM
Why?

No QB is made after one year, especially when they have barely seen the field. Most QB's dont even hit their stride until year 3.

Tned
08-22-2017, 06:20 PM
No QB is made after one year, especially when they have barely seen the field. Most QB's dont even hit their stride until year 3.

That's not what people have been saying about Siemian... ;)

BeefStew25
08-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Then there is the chick whose not fat but smiles with her mouth closed. Meet her in person and her mouth looks like a gently used leatherman. Get out your Phillips head.

Northman
08-22-2017, 06:21 PM
That's not what people have been saying about Siemian... ;)

Im well aware of what they have been saying about Trevor and i tell them the same thing. But nobody wants to listen to reason. lol

Freyaka
08-22-2017, 06:22 PM

I mean, if you are getting rid of him, this seems like the logical thing to at the very least attempt.

Hawgdriver
08-22-2017, 07:00 PM

So the rule is three years minimum?

Canmore
08-22-2017, 07:31 PM
No QB is made after one year, especially when they have barely seen the field. Most QB's don't even hit their stride until year 3.

And how many years has Trevor been in the league? Starting?

Tned
08-22-2017, 08:27 PM
And how many years has Trevor been in the league? Starting?

Different rule. He's a seventh round pick, so he would rightly be considered a bust if not HOF caliber after first year of starting... /sarcasm

FanInAZ
08-22-2017, 09:52 PM

That was the old rule before Os got so complicated. Today, every QB should plan to spend their rookie year on the bench & then have 3 years of starting experience. Most QBs that are declared their team's starter the day they're drafted usually become train wreck. There are a few exceptions, but not many. The only player that I'm aware of that wasn't given a 3rd year to get his game together was Tebow.

Simple Jaded
08-22-2017, 09:59 PM
Typical Broncos fans, even Tim ****ing Tebow got 2 years.

Shit, at this point in Teebs career morons were renting billboards.

BeefStew25
08-22-2017, 10:31 PM
Maybe one day Lynch can beat the Steelers.

chazoe60
08-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Maybe one day Lynch can beat the Steelers.

Maybe one day Jaded will get over Tebow.

Simple Jaded
08-22-2017, 10:44 PM

Doubt it.

Simple Jaded
08-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Basically the only thing Tebow is any good for is to make a point.

Northman
08-23-2017, 05:31 AM

99% of the time, yes.

Shazam!
08-23-2017, 07:06 AM
Broncos could bundle Paxton and a RB to be named in a place where most QBs go to die (NYJ).

Valar Morghulis
08-23-2017, 10:37 AM
Broncos could bundle Paxton and a RB to be named in a place where most QBs go to die (NYJ).

Jaded.... Can you think on anyone on the jets you would like us to acquire.......

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Jaded.... Can you think on anyone on the jets you would like us to acquire.......

The music just stopped.

Freyaka
08-23-2017, 11:44 AM

I mean, there is that sheldon richardson dude lol.

FanInAZ
08-23-2017, 03:52 PM

Draft picks :nod:

Cugel
08-23-2017, 05:43 PM
I have no counter points. I suggested the same thing yesterday. The eye test tells me Sloter is much closer to being ready than Lynch and yet has similar tangibles.

I will be pissed if Sloter goes elsewhere because he might have the highest ceiling out of all of our quarterbacks. Cutting him and keeping some WR who will make little to no contribution makes no sense to me.

Anybody who wanted to pick Sloter up off waivers would have to put him on their 53 man active roster. Few will consider doing that. There are a lot of developmental QBs around. So far there's absolutely nothing special about Sloter. He was little regarded by NFL scouts to begin with.

Most teams have a Kyle Sloter on the roster all ready - a developmental QB. I think he'll breeze through waivers and move onto the PS.

Cugel
08-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Trading Paxton would be monstrously stupid, and VJ would laugh in your face if you recommended it!

He's cheap, under contract for another 3 years, has limited trade value, and useful as a backup even if he never becomes a starter. Especially stupid considering that Trevor has NEVER, EVER stayed healthy for playing a full season - not even in High School or college.

Anybody who thinks you can just line up and expect him to play 16 games this year is fooling themselves. And, right now, the ONLY other QB on the roster capable of starting is Paxton, not Kyle Sloter.

Good against "future dry wall installers" or "future Real Estate Brokers" in meaningless pre-season games doesn't really count. You have NO idea whether Kyle Sloter can be any good in the future, but he's certainly not ready right now.

They will keep him and next year we'll see whether he or Chad Kelly has any real potential.

Cugel
08-23-2017, 05:51 PM

I will never understand the attraction to that worthless talentless scrub. Dude couldn't play dead in a Western.
And No, it's not a conspiracy of NFL GMs who are desperate to win, but inexplicably don't want Tebow despite his being "da awesome!"

If he could play he would. Period.

Cugel
08-23-2017, 06:13 PM
BTW: Sloter got picked off today. But, check out by whom:

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis

DL Adam Gotsis just picked off Kyle Sloter screen pass. Rumbled the other way. #9sports

dogfish
08-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Good against "future dry wall installers" or "future Real Estate Brokers" in meaningless pre-season games doesn't really count.

in all fairness, though, lynch hasn't even done that. . .

but i did hear that he went 12-12 in practice the other day. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-23-2017, 07:51 PM

7-7 against the 9ers.

I find it interesting that after the Chicago game everyone raved about how the Bears rookie looked like he was ready for the big time, but Sloter's play is passed off as meaningless, yet they were in the game at the same time, both against the bottom of the roster.

Tned
08-23-2017, 08:43 PM
7-7 against the 9ers.

I find it interesting that after the Chicago game everyone raved about how the Bears rookie looked like he was ready for the big time, but Sloter's play is passed off as meaningless, yet they were in the game at the same time, both against the bottom of the roster.

As an undrafted QB, Sloter has a very low ceiling, Trubisky has a very high one. There is no upside in wasting time or a roster spot on a low ceiling UDFA.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-23-2017, 08:57 PM
As an undrafted QB, Sloter has a very low ceiling, Trubisky has a very high one. There is no upside in wasting time or a roster spot on a low ceiling UDFA.

You still didn't address the point I made. Sloter played just as well as Trubisky did.

He has a low ceiling because he's undrafted? That doesn't make sense to me. I understand it, but I disagree with it. Rod Smith, Chris Harris were UDFA. I really believe Sloter is a better QB than Lynch and would outplay him by a country mile in a regular season game if given the opportunity.

Hawgdriver
08-23-2017, 09:02 PM

Obviously. It's in Corinthians I think, or Ephesians.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-23-2017, 09:06 PM
Obviously. It's in Corinthians I think, or Ephesians.

What do Pauline Epistles have to do with Tned's post?

Hawgdriver
08-23-2017, 09:09 PM
What do Pauline Epistles have to do with Tned's post?

It's gospel that late round draft picks and UDFAs are low ceiling chumps. Sarcasm.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-23-2017, 09:12 PM
It's gospel that late round draft picks and UDFAs are low ceiling chumps. Sarcasm.

Ah, I thought your sarcasm was in implying Sloter's only hope was redemptive grace. :lol:

Hawgdriver
08-23-2017, 09:14 PM
I think Sloter has legit starter potential. I understand that very few humans can become NFL starting QBs. He needs seasoning and some thickness, but unlike Lynch he's shown some animal cunning in getting the job done on a short schedule.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-23-2017, 09:16 PM
I think Sloter has legit starter potential. I understand that very few humans can become NFL starting QBs. He needs seasoning and some thickness, but unlike Lynch he's shown some animal cunning in getting the job done on a short schedule.

He seems to process information faster and he has better mechanics.

Northman
08-24-2017, 05:36 AM

Meh, he's also done it against 2nd and 3rd stringers which really isnt a true measurement of his skills. We kind of see this every year where a 3rd string guy looks like a world beater but never ending up doing anything on the pro level.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-24-2017, 07:08 AM
Meh, he's also done it against 2nd and 3rd stringers which really isnt a true measurement of his skills. We kind of see this every year where a 3rd string guy looks like a world beater but never ending up doing anything on the pro level.

Who, for example? Dysert and Siemian never looked as good as Sloter in their first year

Tned
08-24-2017, 07:55 AM
Who, for example? Dysert and Siemian never looked as good as Sloter in their first year

Everyone was in love with BVP. I'm pretty sure he was 3rd string. I'm with Dog, it's happened a lot over the last couple decades. Maybe not every year, but quite a bit.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Everyone was in love with BVP. I'm pretty sure he was 3rd string. I'm with Dog, it's happened a lot over the last couple decades. Maybe not every year, but quite a bit.

BVP was a running QB. I don't recall anyone raving about his arm talent.

Tned
08-24-2017, 08:38 AM
BVP was a running QB. I don't recall anyone raving about his arm talent.

Not saying they were talking about his arm per se, but fans were infatuated with him in his brief stay. I couldn't name all of our 3rd stringers that came through camps, I'm just with Dog that this isn't the first time we've seen fans fall in love for a third string QB or 4th string RB that tore up the other teams 3rd/4th teamers.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-24-2017, 09:14 AM
Not saying they were talking about his arm per se, but fans were infatuated with him in his brief stay. I couldn't name all of our 3rd stringers that came through camps, I'm just with Dog that this isn't the first time we've seen fans fall in love for a third string QB or 4th string RB that tore up the other teams 3rd/4th teamers.
That is a valid point, but I've never been one. Sloter is the first one I've seen buried on the depth chart who passes the eye test like that.

Cugel
08-24-2017, 10:15 AM

That's why he isn't starting! And nobody, but nobody thinks he should be the starter over Kyle Orton - er, Siemian. But, if Siemian is going to get hurt and miss some games this season, then they need a QB who knows the system and can go out and play in it.

That just isn't Kyle Sloter. Why else do you suppose that VJ laughed off any suggestion that Sloter should divide reps with the #2s. He's not even going to be on the 53 man roster!

VJ just announced yesterday they are carrying 2 QBs on the active roster. TWO, not three. Sloter will go on the PS, and Chad Kelly will be on IR.

They have no intention of using Sloter this year, unless one of the top 2 QBs gets hurt. And you have to remember that VJ doesn't have to do anything! He's a 1st year head coach, and Elway & co, are going to give him whatever he wants. If he wanted Sloter on the active roster he could have him.

Clearly the fans leaping wildly overboard about Sloter does not impress VJ. He is taking those steps he thinks will help him win games. And Sloter apparently doesn't qualify, except as an emergency QB.

Now, next year is going to be a different story altogether!

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 10:17 AM
Everyone was in love with BVP.

Not me.

MOtorboat
08-24-2017, 10:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3yt2aH42JE

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 10:20 AM

This is a poor argument.

Hey guys, there's a wolf at the door.

Yeah, whatever, somebody is always crying wolf. I'm done listening to anyone that tells me there is a wolf out there.

Cugel
08-24-2017, 10:23 AM
7-7 against the 9ers.

The obvious answer to your question: The Bears suck! They had a top 10 pick last year. The Bears are going nowhere in their division. They would be wildly lucky to win 8 games.

Now, imagine if the Broncos had a bad team, a rotten team that had no decent QB on the roster (did you see Mike Glennon looking absolutely worthless out there? And Mark Sanchez? They were so bad I felt sorry for them.

In that case, you can bet that Lynch would be the starter and Sloter would be getting a lot more reps, because why not? Might as well play the first round pick. Find out whether he can develop over the course of a season, while we continue to suck and acquire high draft picks for next year.

Expectations are somewhat different here. The Broncos have a SB winning defense with a bunch of All-Pros, and some really good players on offense. They could compete for a SB THIS year if they got a top 10 QB somehow.

The Bears might win 10 games - if they had a young Peyton Manning. As they don't they'll be lucky to win 7. So, yes, there's a lot more excitement about Mitch Trebisky. He's going to play.

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 10:30 AM
At no point does that long post respond to Mayor's point that there is hype for Trubisky playing against the same replacement level competition as Sloter with similar eye-test results in terms of playing the position. Trubisky is considered a starter in waiting because he was drafted early.

There is a super simple explanation. People missed on Sloter because he had little exposure.

Cugel
08-24-2017, 10:36 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post

Fans always LOVE the backup QB. If he comes in the game they cheer wildly and waste endless amounts of time talking about how excited they are to see the development of . . . .

.. . . wait for it. . . . . . 7th round picks QBs Matt Mauch, and Bradly Van Pelt. I remember the Stadium erupting in wild cheers when Brad Van Pelt scored a TD against a bunch of scrubs in the meaningless 4th pre-season game. The starter that year was Jake Plummer who led the team to a 10-6 record and a wild card playoff loss to Peyton Manning & the Colts. Reuben Droughns ran for 1200 yards & 6 TDs.

And after all that hoopla, neither Bradly Van Pelt nor Matt Mauch ever started a game in the NFL. Both bounced around for a while and then were cut.

Normally, all that fan enthusiasm would focus around Paxton as the backup, but he was a first round pick and so far has been a bust, so. . . all the over-excitement focuses on some 7th round backup like Sloter or Chad Kelly.

So, every time I see a lot of wild fan enthusiasm about some 7th round QB I remember Brad Van Pelt, and check that roll. There is no indication that VJ intends to make Sloter a starter at any point in the future.

The best we can say for him is that he'll probably get a chance in 2018 against the #1s and #2 defense, unless the Broncos go out and acquire a veteran FA - like Matt Stafford or Drew Brees, both of whom might be FAs next off-season.

Cugel
08-24-2017, 10:41 AM
At no point does that long post respond to Mayor's point that there is hype for Trubisky playing against the same replacement level competition as Sloter with similar eye-test results in terms of playing the position. Trubisky is considered a starter in waiting because he was drafted early.

There is a super simple explanation. People missed on Sloter because he had little exposure.

There's no proof that anybody "missed" on Sloter at all. He had a nice game against guys who won't be in the league soon. And the history of the NFL is that 7th round QBs almost NEVER become stars in this league.

What 7th round or undrafted QBs ever won SBs? I can think of one guy - Kurt Warner, and that's it. Normally, the scouts are right. So far, they've been wrong about Trevor. He's exceeded expectations. But, he has as far to go still as he's already come before he could be the long term answer at QB.

Maybe he'll get there and become the next Kurt Warner. That would be fun to watch! But, that ain't the way to bet.

The overwhelming probability is that ten years from now the name "Kyle Sloter" will be about as famous as Brad Van Pelt is among Broncos fans today.

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 10:50 AM
There's no proof that anybody "missed" on Sloter at all. He had a nice game against guys who won't be in the league soon.

There is evidence that Sloter should have been drafted. He played small school. He didn't have a significant body of work. He played well in NFL preseason live action against NFL replacement level players, similar to other NFL starters or starter-candidates, and better than some drafted players against the same competition. This evidence supports the claim that Sloter was under-scouted and under-drafted.

slim
08-24-2017, 10:51 AM

AW made a good point. I wish I would have high 5d his post.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-24-2017, 10:59 AM
AW made a good point. I wish I would have high 5d his post.

It's not too late!

Cugel
08-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Not me.

Aw, what a party pooper! Who can't cheer the backup QB beating up on scrubs? You're probably the kind of guy who gobbles his desert before his meat in fear of sudden attack. I remember thinking "this guy has something."

Only the coaches knew better. He didn't.

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 11:02 AM
The overwhelming probability is that ten years from now the name "Kyle Sloter" will be about as famous as Brad Van Pelt is among Broncos fans today.

Correct. That is not the argument. The argument is that he has shown enough to merit further evaluation.

BVP seems to be the main argument used by those dismissing Sloter, so let's discuss it. Sloter is not BVP, and BVP has no relation to Sloter on no bearing on the evaluation of Sloter. Both were UDFA and both have had Broncos fans support them in their goal of making the team. The similarity ends there. To compare them on this basis would be similar to comparing two black men in a criminal trial using the argument 'he's black, and a lot more black people commit crimes, so he's guilty.' An analysis this unthinking shouldn't even require rebuttal.

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Aw, what a party pooper! Who can't cheer the backup QB beating up on scrubs? You're probably the kind of guy who gobbles his desert before his meat in fear of sudden attack. I remember thinking "this guy has something."

Only the coaches knew better. He didn't.

He didn't seem like NFL QB material to me, but I admit I discounted him almost immediately after watching him once or twice. I figured he was just getting hype like Tebow would later get because of his personality and so forth.

Cugel
08-24-2017, 11:06 AM
There is evidence that Sloter should have been drafted. He played small school. He didn't have a significant body of work. He played well in NFL preseason live action against NFL replacement level players, similar to other NFL starters or starter-candidates, and better than some drafted players against the same competition. This evidence supports the claim that Sloter was under-scouted and under-drafted.
I'd like to think you are right, but. . .

Here's the clincher: Vance Joseph is going to release him in about 1 week. HE doesn't agree with you that Sloter is one of the 2 best QBs on the roster.

And if anybody wants Sloter they can have him. And if nobody picks him up, which is probable, then he goes on the practice squad for a year. And next season they will trot him out and perhaps take a look.

And possibly they won't. Sloter is a wild long shot to make it in the NFL. IF Trevor fails, and I'm not saying he necessarily will, I hope not, then the most probable step is for Elway to draft another QB in the first round, or pick up a veteran FA to be the starter, until the new guy can get ready.

That's normally how NFL franchises work, not by promoting the practice squad QB to starter. If he was a really GREAT prospect he wouldn't be on the PS.

So, unless you think Joseph is a big idiot, I'd say he's evaluated Sloter and is not too upset at the prospect of possibly losing him to another team. Because they would keep him on the 53 man roster if they were at all worried about losing him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-24-2017, 11:18 AM
I don't think VJ is an idiot. He obviously knows the game better than I do. I just don't agree with releasing him.

I trust my eye for QB's and I think Sloter "has it".

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 11:49 AM
I'd like to think you are right, but. . .

Here's the clincher: Vance Joseph is going to release him in about 1 week. HE doesn't agree with you that Sloter is one of the 2 best QBs on the roster.

And if anybody wants Sloter they can have him. And if nobody picks him up, which is probable, then he goes on the practice squad for a year. And next season they will trot him out and perhaps take a look.

And possibly they won't. Sloter is a wild long shot to make it in the NFL. IF Trevor fails, and I'm not saying he necessarily will, I hope not, then the most probable step is for Elway to draft another QB in the first round, or pick up a veteran FA to be the starter, until the new guy can get ready.

That's normally how NFL franchises work, not by promoting the practice squad QB to starter. If he was a really GREAT prospect he wouldn't be on the PS.

So, unless you think Joseph is a big idiot, I'd say he's evaluated Sloter and is not too upset at the prospect of possibly losing him to another team. Because they would keep him on the 53 man roster if they were at all worried about losing him.

Everything here is generally fine and doesn't prevent both of us from being essentially correct in what we say.

Couple things--1. I never claimed Sloter is one of the 2 best QBs on the roster, just that a roster spot for a developing QB seems better for the QB that has shown more ability to develop. Paxton is obviously ahead of Sloter today and for this season. Paxton is the better backup, but if we need him as a backup there's much less likelihood of postseason success, so why not develop the project that shows a more rapid development profile?

2. VJ can both be upset about losing Sloter and correct to risk him to waivers given the circumstances.

Tned
08-24-2017, 11:55 AM
This is a poor argument.

Hey guys, there's a wolf at the door.

Yeah, whatever, somebody is always crying wolf. I'm done listening to anyone that tells me there is a wolf out there.

I think the underlying point, that I didn't articulate very well, is that 3rd QB/4th RB performances against 3rd/4th stringers can often be deceptive. Personally, I hope they keep Sloter some how, because we don't know if Kelly will be healthy next year, if Lynch is even capable of being a backup (obviously jury still out on starter).

So, I think we should keep him, I think we are just saying that we have to be wary of the evaluating the performance in the 4th quarter of early preseason games.

BroncoJoe
08-24-2017, 11:55 AM
LOL - Cugel trying to match wits with Hawg.

VonDoom
08-24-2017, 11:57 AM
What 7th round or undrafted QBs ever won SBs?

Trevor Siemian, 2017. :D:strongy:

VonDoom
08-24-2017, 11:59 AM
The Jaguars seem to be ready to break up with Bortles. Try to pawn Lynch off on them so they can work on his "potential" before they pick up another failed giraffe of ours when Osweiler gets released.

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 12:11 PM
I think the underlying point, that I didn't articulate very well, is that 3rd QB/4th RB performances against 3rd/4th stringers can often be deceptive. Personally, I hope they keep Sloter some how, because we don't know if Kelly will be healthy next year, if Lynch is even capable of being a backup (obviously jury still out on starter).

So, I think we should keep him, I think we are just saying that we have to be wary of the evaluating the performance in the 4th quarter of early preseason games.

Agreed. He lit it up against replacement level dudes, big friggin deal. Still, it's more competition than he faced at the collegiate level and he looked good irrespective of the defense, just him doing his own thing--his decisions.

All I want is that he gets further evaluation based on some good film in his only chance to make this league. Hope he makes the PS if they cut him, he probably will. Aware the deck is stacked against him. No big.

The underlying premise is that a franchise should make a priority of finding their guy as long as it's not at the expense of championships. This might be a case of losing a guy for an improved 53 and giving up some % of getting their guy for some % of better postseason success. He probably will make the PS, probably a risk worth taking but maybe slim can hold me and I'll be ok.

FanInAZ
08-24-2017, 04:22 PM
There's no proof that anybody "missed" on Sloter at all. He had a nice game against guys who won't be in the league soon. And the history of the NFL is that 7th round QBs almost NEVER become stars in this league.

What 7th round or undrafted QBs ever won SBs? I can think of one guy - Kurt Warner, and that's it. Normally, the scouts are right. So far, they've been wrong about Trevor. He's exceeded expectations. But, he has as far to go still as he's already come before he could be the long term answer at QB.

Maybe he'll get there and become the next Kurt Warner. That would be fun to watch! But, that ain't the way to bet.

Johnny Unitas was drafted in the 9th round: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/U/UnitJo00.htm

Northman
08-24-2017, 06:15 PM

This is a joke right? :lol:

Northman
08-24-2017, 06:17 PM

Wtf.... Hawg i love you but holy shit stay off the crack dude. :lol:

What the hell have you guys been smoking?

Northman
08-24-2017, 06:24 PM
I just saw where Sloter went to school, that explains the complete jergens session. lol

VonDoom
08-24-2017, 06:28 PM

What did he say that was incorrect? We're talking about guys playing against third stringers, so that's not indicative of anything in the long run, but Sloter looks the part. What did Dysert or Siemian do to impress in the fourth quarter of preseason games?

Siemian is the perfect example of why Sloter should be kept, actually. An unheralded guy, third on the depth chart and didn't dress all year, ends up becoming our starting QB two years in a row. And at the time, he was behind Manning and his hand picked successor. Sloter is behind two other young guys who might never be anything. Why not keep the third QB and let him develop this year and then reassess in 2018?

Northman
08-24-2017, 06:32 PM
What did he say that was incorrect? We're talking about guys playing against third stringers, so that's not indicative of anything in the long run, but Sloter looks the part. What did Dysert or Siemian do to impress in the fourth quarter of preseason games?

Not a single thing and thats what im talking about.

The verdict isnt even in yet for Siemian as we are not sure if he is the answer at this stage. Point is, we see this every single year where people start crowing about 3rd string QB's thinking they are the second coming and then they end up getting cut and either become journeyman or selling car insurance. Trying to pretend that this doesnt happen every year is just naive and means you are not paying attention to what goes on in Broncoland. People were going nuts over Dysert the same way.

Poet
08-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Most backups suck ass. Many of them aren't as gifted as PL. If we get stuck on the backup we're probably going to get styled on. So, I don't think cutting PL makes any sense unless we hire a seasoned journeyman type of guy. And we're not doing that.

In regards to Hawg's belief that PL isn't going to be shit and will just leech reps later on from TS - I don't agree with him, but it's a point where people can disagree. Hawg is the RBG to my Scalia.

Northman
08-24-2017, 06:51 PM
Most backups suck ass. Many of them aren't as gifted as PL. If we get stuck on the backup we're probably going to get styled on. So, I don't think cutting PL makes any sense unless we hire a seasoned journeyman type of guy. And we're not doing that.

In regards to Hawg's belief that PL isn't going to be shit and will just leech reps later on from TS - I don't agree with him, but it's a point where people can disagree. Hawg is the RBG to my Scalia.

Wentz is looking good. I bet having Jeffrey and Smith will pay dividends for him this year in Philly.

Poet
08-24-2017, 06:59 PM
Wentz is looking good. I bet having Jeffrey and Smith will pay dividends for him this year in Philly.

Wentz had an up and down year, but as a true rookie with a bad line, his ranked production was pretty solid. That guy has a ton of skill.

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 07:07 PM
Wtf.... Hawg i love you but holy shit stay off the crack dude. :lol:

What the hell have you guys been smoking?

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/zac-dysert-player-stats?seasonType=3

Dysert's rookie film is not as impressive as Sloter's. Dysert's rookie production is well short of Sloter's.

Different people than me went nuts for Dysert, BVP, etc.

Your argument is heavy on appalled disbelief but light on reason.

To me he is a legit prospect based on his preseason film. You don't see it, fine. I can accept that. All you need to do is explain the reasons why he has shown he's not a valuable prospect.

The Dysert argument isn't that strong, either. He has shown enough for three teams to give him a chance to develop.

Which is all I'm asking for. Give him a chance to develop.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-24-2017, 07:11 PM

I thought Siemian and Dysert both looked erratic and sloppy in their rookie pre-season games

Northman
08-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Dysert's rookie film is not as impressive as Sloter's.

Netiher are impressive because all came against third string talent. And comparing both preseason films have flaws since both did not have all the same players on the Broncos during their time with the Broncos.

Doesnt matter, the point is this happens every year with the same (in my opinion) silly excitement.

Incorrect. The reason i will give below

To me he is a legit prospect based on his preseason film. You don't see it, fine. I can accept that. All you need to do is explain the reasons why he has shown he's not a valuable prospect.

The big reason is he has been cut. The other big reason is he wasnt drafted high let alone at all. Your assumption that he didnt get exposure is flawed because then you would be saying that the scouts simply dont know how to do their job. I did a quick google search and while the "reports" were positive for Sloter it tells me despite that he still didnt turn any heads on draft day. Now, our own HC doesnt feel he is worth keeping which judging by how our 1st round pick isnt playing that well says a lot to me on whether or not Sloter has what it takes to even develop.

The Dysert argument isn't that strong, either. He has shown enough for three teams to give him a chance to develop.

Just 3 teams? I remember 4 teams giving Tebow a chance and now he is playing baseball.

Well, maybe there is 2 more teams willing to give him a chance. :beer:

Poet
08-24-2017, 07:27 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/zac-dysert-player-stats?seasonType=3

Dysert's rookie film is not as impressive as Sloter's. Dysert's rookie production is well short of Sloter's.

You'd give everyone a chance to develop other than the rawer prospect we've had. For what it's worth, most of the time the scouts aren't wrong on who can't be a QB - ergo the draft status. Catch all reasoning? Sure. But the first round QB's bust a lot, but they become 'the guy' more often than the lower ranked players.

If you want a reason why not to accept him as a prospect, I don't have one. But I don't have a real reason to accept him as one, either. He made some really nice throws. He's worth keeping around on the PS. But the default should be disbelief, because that's what the 'QB pan out rate' suggests, especially lower down the tier you go.

Tned
08-24-2017, 07:29 PM
Hawg is the RBG to my Scalia.

******* BAN HIM!!!! There are certain lines not to be crossed. You? Scalia? Sacrilege!!!!

Northman
08-24-2017, 07:33 PM
I just find it hard to believe that with the Broncos QB situation the way it is right that if Sloter had anything to offer in any facet that he would still be on the roster. I cant imagine that the HC staff would cut him if they felt he had some kind of "it" factor.

Poet
08-24-2017, 07:37 PM
******* BAN HIM!!!! There are certain lines not to be crossed. You? Scalia? Sacrilege!!!!

I promise you I've read more Scalia cases and have a higher appreciation of the man than you could fathom. I cried when the man died. He was a great jurist, a greater writer, and was a true legend. He, much like myself, are often misunderstood by the lessor minds, and have to dumb down concepts for the layman. I often disagreed with him. But god damn did I love reading his opinions, and he got a lot of things correct.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2017, 09:11 PM
After everything Sloter's done for you? Smh

Poet
08-24-2017, 09:17 PM
Tned and I are gushing over Scalia. Don't ruin our moment. I think we're bonding.

Poet
08-24-2017, 09:18 PM
FWIW right now, gun to my head, I'd say Sloter should be on the team.

Tned
08-24-2017, 09:19 PM

Ahh, I thought with a gun to your head, you were going to tell us about Heller... ;)

Poet
08-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Ahh, I thought with a gun to your head, you were going to tell us about Heller... ;)

You're such a tease!!!!!!!!!!!

Tned
08-24-2017, 09:24 PM

Cough, no, cough.

Broncos already have too many hard roster decisions, on a team that could be a playoff contender or better. They can't afford the luxury of a project 3rd QB. If they weren't a playoff contender, then I would agree, but keeping Sloter, a long shot project, will mean one less linemen, RB, NT or something. Not to mention, if the sacrifice is in LB, RB or WR, then it likely costs you a special teams player as well.

I don't think the Broncos can afford the roster spot on a team that can win this year.

Poet
08-24-2017, 09:59 PM
That's a fair point.

Tned
08-24-2017, 10:09 PM
That's a fair point.

Hopefully, he clears and goes to the practice squad and can run the scout team against our first string D and get a chance to develop.

While I would never root against any Bronco and really hope that Lynch develops and 'beats' Siemian out in a clear cut way, because those physical tools are amazing. That said, think how great the story would be if the Broncos draft a 7th rounder that becomes a pro-bowler and is backed up by a UDFA? Cool story.

Poet
08-24-2017, 10:10 PM
Hopefully, he clears and goes to the practice squad and can run the scout team against our first string D and get a chance to develop.

While I would never root against any Bronco and really hope that Lynch develops and 'beats' Siemian out in a clear cut way, because those physical tools are amazing. That said, think how great the story would be if the Broncos draft a 7th rounder that becomes a pro-bowler and is backed up by a UDFA? Cool story.

I agree. Especially if we could consistently draft those late round guys and parlay them into some picks! FLEECE THE LEAGUE BABY!

Simple Jaded
08-24-2017, 10:19 PM
Cough, no, cough.

Broncos already have too many hard roster decisions, on a team that could be a playoff contender or better. They can't afford the luxury of a project 3rd QB. If they weren't a playoff contender, then I would agree, but keeping Sloter, a long shot project, will mean one less linemen, RB, NT or something. Not to mention, if the sacrifice is in LB, RB or WR, then it likely costs you a special teams player as well.

I don't think the Broncos can afford the roster spot on a team that can win this year.

Is there really tough roster decisions to be made? There's no chance a scrub like Zaire Anderson makes it to PS? Or that there isn't another scrub just like him to replace him if he doesn't?

Kyle Peko? They're exactly 1 deep at NT regardless of whether he makes the roster or not.

There's nothing at OLB after Barrett. Vontarious 5.10 Forty Dora? **** that!

Tned
08-24-2017, 10:21 PM
Is there really tough roster decisions to be made? There's no chance a scrub like Zaire Anderson makes it to PS? Or that there isn't another scrub just like him to replace him if he doesn't?

Kyle Peko?

There's nothing at OLB after Barrett. Vontarious 5.10 Forty Dora? **** that!

As Elway usually keeps 25 offensive players, if they keep a 3rd QB, that likely means only keeping 3 RBs, 9 OLs or 2 TEs. There is no free lunch on cut down day.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2017, 10:41 PM
As Elway usually keeps 25 offensive players, if they keep a 3rd QB, that likely means only keeping 3 RBs, 9 OLs or 2 TEs. There is no free lunch on cut down day.

What does food have to do with this? Always thinking with your stomach.

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 10:51 PM
Cough, no, cough.

Sound argument.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2017, 10:54 PM
Sound argument.

No! Erroneous!

What would you rather have, a QB with starting potential or the backup OL that will get him killed?

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 10:57 PM
No! Erroneous!

What would you rather have, a QB with starting potential or the backup OL that will get him killed?

I didn't say I agreed with it, just that it was the right argument if the facts assumed are true. I can get behind what Tned is saying if the roster spot helps a postseason run.

If that's not true, if the extra roster spot is disposable, then the argument collapses.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2017, 10:59 PM
I didn't say I agreed with it, just that it was the right argument if the facts assumed are true. I can get behind what Tned is saying if the roster spot helps a postseason run.

If that's not true, if the extra roster spot is disposable, then the argument collapses.

Erroneous!

#Erroneous

Poet
08-24-2017, 11:00 PM

I'm not sure anymore if this is the case, but some playoff teams carry three guys because the starter has health issues. In years past Pittsburgh used to do that. I'm not saying that this is the case for us, but there are roster constructions that account for different injury stimuli.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2017, 11:03 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/4FgvRiBYBAjUQ/giphy.gif

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Jaded, if you are right that the depth at certain positions is practice-squad caliber, they can afford to keep Sloter on the 53.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2017, 11:13 PM
Jaded, if you are right that the depth at certain positions is practice-squad caliber, they can afford to keep Sloter on the 53.

Tyrique Jarrett is probably headed to PS, have you seen Kyle Peko make a solo tackle for loss yet like Jarrett's? I haven't.

Poet
08-24-2017, 11:15 PM
Hawg, gun to your head, you'd cut Lynch?

Simple Jaded
08-24-2017, 11:21 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/P0Uh4KC2EbjdC/giphy.gif

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-24-2017, 11:22 PM

Wow, we've really raised the stakes around here. I'll be in the kitty pool.

Poet
08-24-2017, 11:26 PM
Wow, we've really raised the stakes around here. I'll be in the kitty pool.

I'm tired of your wonderful posts and conversational #style.

Hawgdriver
08-24-2017, 11:36 PM

I can't answer with a simple yes or no. I'd like to give you a 0 or 1. But I need more context. Do I have any trade interest? Let's say no. Does my QB coach see something that tells me after another year in the same system he expects a starting quality player? Do I need a roster spot? Is it the best use of cap space and payroll? Is Sloter a good locker room guy (this is my biggest ? about him, his personality--does he rub coaches or players the wrong way?)

All in all, I don't see from Lynch the progress and attitude you expect from a steely eyed killer that is your franchise-defining starting QB. I don't think he'll ever be the guy even though the more I look at it the more I like him personally and love his stylegod arm. I like bold, transformational decisions once you can make them with adequate data and a good gut feel. I like leaders who set a clear vision and nuke ambiguity.

My gut says yes, move on right now and promote the young gun that is competing his ass off and looking sharp. But there's not a strong confidence in that answer.

If we did, we'd probably eat something and have to get a vet backup.

Tned
08-24-2017, 11:41 PM
Erroneous!

#Erroneous

Assuming Elway takes his normal approach and keeps 25 on offense, after the three QBs, list the other 22 players to finish out the offense

Poet
08-24-2017, 11:47 PM
I can't answer with a simple yes or no. I'd like to give you a 0 or 1. But I need more context. Do I have any trade interest? Let's say no. Does my QB coach see something that tells me after another year in the same system he expects a starting quality player? Do I need a roster spot? Is it the best use of cap space and payroll? Is Sloter a good locker room guy (this is my biggest ? about him, his personality--does he rub coaches or players the wrong way?)

All in all, I don't see from Lynch the progress and attitude you expect from a steely eyed killer that is your franchise-defining starting QB. I don't think he'll ever be the guy even though the more I look at it the more I like him personally and love his stylegod arm. I like bold, transformational decisions once you can make them with adequate data and a good gut feel. I like leaders who set a clear vision and nuke ambiguity.

My gut says yes, move on right now and promote the young gun that is competing his ass off and looking sharp. But there's not a strong confidence in that answer.

If we did, we'd probably eat something and have to get a vet backup.

Context is king.

Hey Tned, can you change my name to Artful Dodger?

Tned
08-25-2017, 12:00 AM
Context is king.

Hey Tned, can you change my name to Artful Dodger?

Nope, you've exceeded your name change limit. Your total will reset after the totality of the next United States solar eclipse.

Poet
08-25-2017, 12:00 AM
Nope, you've exceeded your name change limit. Your total will reset after the totality of the next United States solar eclipse.

I'll write a song in your honor.

Hawgdriver
08-11-2018, 11:00 PM
Ahem

Poet
08-11-2018, 11:04 PM
Ahem

Swag on them?

aberdien
08-11-2018, 11:11 PM
Walmart is always hiring door greeters, Pax.

GEM
08-11-2018, 11:22 PM
I love me some Elway, but his infatuation with this witch doctor shrunken headed pirate is ******* pissing me off now. He's making Elway look like a dumb ****.

Canmore
08-11-2018, 11:25 PM
I love me some Elway, but his infatuation with this witch doctor shrunken headed pirate is ******* pissing me off now. He's making Elway look like a dumb ****.

Elway is making Elway look like a dumb ****.

I love Elway too.

Shazam!
08-12-2018, 12:16 AM
Walmart is always hiring door greeters, Pax.

They are usually short and special tho. Like Mo.

WARHORSE
08-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Paxton looked horrible. Even on some stretch runs the man couldnt even hand the ball off correctly. All he can do is hit a RB in the middle of the field 5 yards down if no one is within 5 yards.

The man is not an NFL caliber QB and if Joseph and the boys cant recognize that Kelly is the one to work with, fire the whole staff. Kelly needs the reps, he got NONE last year due to injury and if hes gonna be the back up he needs to get as many reps as possible this preseason and in practice.

He clearly looks alot sharper.

MOtorboat
08-12-2018, 01:10 AM
Yeah, this dude sucks.

MasterShake
08-12-2018, 12:22 PM
Get rid of Lynch, but I still want a solid veteran backup if possible. Is Bridgewater still be floated as trade bait? Chad Kelly did impress me but could we count on him for a few weeks if Keenum goes down? I hope so, because Lynch seems like he just doesn't give a crap.

Northman
08-12-2018, 12:41 PM
Get rid of Lynch, but I still want a solid veteran backup if possible. Is Bridgewater still be floated as trade bait? Chad Kelly did impress me but could we count on him for a few weeks if Keenum goes down? I hope so, because Lynch seems like he just doesn't give a crap.

Bridgewater did pretty well the other night (i think for the Jets) so im not sure if he will be let go in light of that. I think we just have to go with Kelly unless a team lets a veteran go after preseason.

aberdien
08-12-2018, 12:45 PM
We should've got Bridgewater instead of Case.

BroncoWave
08-12-2018, 12:46 PM

This seems like a bit of an overreaction to one preseason game. Case has been excellent in camp from all reports I've seen.

Northman
08-12-2018, 12:49 PM

As much as i dont really care for Bridgewater i think you are right.

Northman
08-12-2018, 12:50 PM
This seems like a bit of an overreaction to one preseason game. Case has been excellent in camp from all reports I've seen.

1/4 for 5 yds against a team that you are very familiar with is pretty bad. Im with Abe on this one and until Case proves he wasnt a one year wonder i will continue to have my doubts about him.

Shazam!
08-12-2018, 12:50 PM
I dont wamt any NYJ QBs

Shazam!
08-12-2018, 12:56 PM

It is not. This is systematic from last Season. The offense comes out dead, flat and devoid of leadership or any sense of urgency. This is a VJ issue.

aberdien
08-12-2018, 12:57 PM
That's fine but i've always been on the Teddy bandwagon and thought signing Case at that price was bad when you could get somebody like Bridgewater who is at least no worse than Case but cheaper. I'm not anti-Case.

UnderArmour
08-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Drew Stanton, Mike Glennon, or Teddy Bridgewater are the realistic trade targets if the team goes for a veteran. Honestly, I see Elway sticking it out with the current 3 on the roster and skipping admitting to the Paxton mistake until next year.

Cugel
08-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Paxton looked horrible. Even on some stretch runs the man couldnt even hand the ball off correctly. All he can do is hit a RB in the middle of the field 5 yards down if no one is within 5 yards.

The man is not an NFL caliber QB and if Joseph and the boys cant recognize that Kelly is the one to work with, fire the whole staff. Kelly needs the reps, he got NONE last year due to injury and if hes gonna be the back up he needs to get as many reps as possible this preseason and in practice.

He clearly looks alot sharper.

But, Kelly is not in competition for #2. They elected to go with Keenum as their QB, which means they need a veteran backup. This isn't a "developmental" team. IT's supposed to compete for the division this year. And if that's going to happen they need a backup who is a veteran capable of coming in during the season if Keenum's hurt.

If Kelly beats out Paxton that means they trade or release Paxton, but bring in a veteran, like maybe Teddy Bridgewater whom the Jets are looking to trade?

Plus, if Keenum sucks and it's obvious by week 5 or so that he's just not going to be any good, then having a backup capable of coming in and starting is going to be key, and that rookie is not Kelly.

I hate to say it but I think Kelly won't make the practice squad and that the Broncos will keep 3 QBs, Keenum, a new veteran, and Paxton, despite his sucking. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I see happening - Elway continuing to make excuses about "not wanting to just kick Paxton to the curb."

Then I think VJ will be fired by about mid-season. If they get rid of Lynch and get a veteran backup who can actually play a little bit, then things could turn out much better. WE'll see.

Hawgdriver
08-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Cugel, I'd like you to share your thoughts on Elway's genius regarding Paxton Lynch.

Just kidding man. We all make mistakes when hyped about the team we love.

VonDoom
08-12-2018, 04:02 PM
Drew Stanton, Mike Glennon, or Teddy Bridgewater are the realistic trade targets if the team goes for a veteran. Honestly, I see Elway sticking it out with the current 3 on the roster and skipping admitting to the Paxton mistake until next year.

Stanton and Glennon are bad - Glennon is basically just Lynch. I wanted Bridgewater and still wouldn’t mind. Jets will likely trade him since Darnold is looking good and they have McCown to mentor him

spikerman
08-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Stanton and Glennon are bad - Glennon is basically just Lynch. I wanted Bridgewater and still wouldn’t mind. Jets will likely trade him since Darnold is looking good and they have McCown to mentor him

Disagree. Although limited, Glennon has had some success in the league.

WARHORSE
08-12-2018, 05:11 PM
But, Kelly is not in competition for #2. They elected to go with Keenum as their QB, which means they need a veteran backup. This isn't a "developmental" team. IT's supposed to compete for the division this year. And if that's going to happen they need a backup who is a veteran capable of coming in during the season if Keenum's hurt.

If Kelly beats out Paxton that means they trade or release Paxton, but bring in a veteran, like maybe Teddy Bridgewater whom the Jets are looking to trade?

Plus, if Keenum sucks and it's obvious by week 5 or so that he's just not going to be any good, then having a backup capable of coming in and starting is going to be key, and that rookie is not Kelly.

I hate to say it but I think Kelly won't make the practice squad and that the Broncos will keep 3 QBs, Keenum, a new veteran, and Paxton, despite his sucking. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I see happening - Elway continuing to make excuses about "not wanting to just kick Paxton to the curb."

Then I think VJ will be fired by about mid-season. If they get rid of Lynch and get a veteran backup who can actually play a little bit, then things could turn out much better. WE'll see.

Sorry. I think thats way out in left field. Could be me, but if Paxton makes the roster and Kelly doesn't after what we know, then whoever makes those decisions, whether Joseph or Elway should be fired on the spot.

This is Paxtons 3rd year and he's seen the field plenty of times. To come into a preseason game like this and look that bad, he's done for in my mind. He has regressed if anything.

All Kelly did is show promise in his gameday debut and you say he's not going to make the PS??

We're in different playbooks.

I agree that Denver probably wont want to go into the season with Kelly (basically a rookie) as the backup and will look to sign a vet......but that all depends. Once again, Kelly has all the potential in the world and so far has done nothing to say he won't progress. If he did go into the season as the backup, that would be a heck of a statement. This team is built to compete, but if teams will go into the season with a rookie QB starter, I don't think its that far out of whack to think that Denver may go into the season as the clipboard holder.

I'll wait and see, but Kelly has shown nothing but promise so far for a guy in his very first season, learning the ropes. He looked a little skittish......but just watch his face at the line of scrimmage vs Siemian and Paxton. He's trying to decipher the defense.

Loved what I saw from him. He ain't Peyton or Elway, but he IS showing promise so far.

gregbroncs
08-12-2018, 08:02 PM
Paxton should not still be on the roster after that showing. I've said since last preseason that he just doesn't look like an NFL QB. Against the Viking's he looked hesitant, lost and incompetent. He couldn't hit wide open receivers, he couldn't find wide open receivers and he couldn't even throw it to guys 5 yards away who were wide open. He should be cut right now, wasting any more reps on him at this time is pointless.

tripp
08-12-2018, 08:36 PM
Sam Monson
‏Verified account @PFF_Sam

Paxton Lynch's passer rating this game was almost half what it would have been if he'd just thrown the ball at the floor every down and walked to the bench

Canmore
08-12-2018, 09:08 PM
Sam Monson
‏Verified account @PFF_Sam

Paxton Lynch's passer rating this game was almost half what it would have been if he'd just thrown the ball at the floor every down and walked to the bench

Lol.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-12-2018, 09:19 PM
I’m afraid the kid is gonna get boo’d off the field the next time he plays

ShaneFalco
08-12-2018, 10:46 PM

yea that saturday night was something. Whole stadium booing him. Chanting Kelly.

WARHORSE
08-12-2018, 11:43 PM

Nothing to be afraid of. If he doesn't like getting booed, play better or quit.

It really is up to him to show everyone hes the real deal. If booing is going to make you curl up into a fetal position on the sideline, then it doesn't matter what kind of ability you have.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Nothing to be afraid of. If he doesn't like getting booed, play better or quit.

It really is up to him to show everyone hes the real deal. If booing is going to make you curl up into a fetal position on the sideline, then it doesn't matter what kind of ability you have.

Don’t misunderstand me, I have been vocally critical going back to last year. I thought the Broncos should have kept Sloter last year, who actually showed upside. I guess I feel bad for anyone being booed, deserved or not.

ShaneFalco
08-13-2018, 12:34 AM
The really telling thing is that Chad basically ran a spread at ole miss as well. Almost the same type of thing Paxton ran. And he is making checks at the line in the Broncos offense for blitz protections and moving TE in motion back for more protection. His massive run on 3rd down, he checked the TE back by him in shotgun, and as soon as the ball is snapped, the TE blocked the defender blitzing down the middle. That stuff you just cant make up for a guy in his first game in 2 years.

Kelly showed confidence and showed he could read defenses as he changed the protection on certain plays. Meanwhile, Lynch continues to look like a fish out of water.
https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/11/instant-analysis-denver-broncos-chad-kelly-outplays-paxton-lynch-first-preseason-game/

Something Lynch could only dream to do in his 3rd year. There is no comparison. Swag can also scramble better then Lynch too, which i find hilarious, because that was Lynchs "strength." Chad moves the ball down the field and is not afraid. And that may be his only real problem when it comes to turnovers. Being afraid of nothing.

And after having limp dick QBs for years afraid to throw the ball. Its time for swag, even if we crash and burn and get kicked out of the club, we come back gunning with machine gun kelly to spray the place.

ChubbNYiadom
08-13-2018, 01:19 AM
The really telling thing is that Chad basically ran a spread at ole miss as well. Almost the same type of thing Paxton ran. And he is making checks at the line in the Broncos offense for blitz protections and moving TE in motion back for more protection. His massive run on 3rd down, he checked the TE back by him in shotgun, and as soon as the ball is snapped, the TE blocked the defender blitzing down the middle. That stuff you just cant make up for a guy in his first game in 2 years.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/11/instant-analysis-denver-broncos-chad-kelly-outplays-paxton-lynch-first-preseason-game/

Something Lynch could only dream to do in his 3rd year. There is no comparison. Swag can also scramble better then Lynch too, which i find hilarious, because that was Lynchs "strength." Chad moves the ball down the field and is not afraid. And that may be his only real problem when it comes to turnovers. Being afraid of nothing.

And after having limp dick QBs for years afraid to throw the ball. Its time for swag, even if we crash and burn and get kicked out of the club, we come back gunning with machine gun kelly to spray the place.

You know when Kelly entered the game Musgrave went to a hurry up shot gun offense though right?

ShaneFalco
08-13-2018, 01:36 AM
You know when Kelly entered the game Musgrave went to a hurry up shot gun offense though right?

the first 3 plays.

Kellys td throw was a 5 step drop back

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2018, 12:17 PM
The Denver Broncos may or may not be in the market for a veteran to backup quarterback Case Keenum, but it’s a longshot the team will accomplish that by trading Paxton Lynch, says ESPN Insider Adam Schefter.

Joining “Schlereth and Evans” on Friday, Schefter said he could see the Broncos being in the market for a veteran arm should Lynch or third-team quarterback Chad Kelly not impress during the preseason.

On Saturday, Lynch went 6-for-11 for 24 yards and a pick while Kelly had 177 yards on 14-of-21 passing for two touchdowns and an interception.

The free agency market for quarterbacks is not “ideal” at the moment, Schefter said, though T.J. Yates and Matt Moore could be options.

But it’s when teams cut rosters from 90 to 53 players that the Broncos could find a suitable backup for Keenum, Schefter said, not via trade for Lynch.

“I don’t think he’s got much value around the league. He doesn’t have until he shows something in Denver, which he hasn’t done,” Schefter said.

rest - http://1043thefan.com/2076287/schefter-trade-value-paxton-lynch/

Shazam!
08-13-2018, 12:28 PM

Kelly showed confidence and showed he could read defenses as he changed the protection on certain plays. Meanwhile, Lynch continues to look like a fish out of water.

Im all in.

wayninja
08-13-2018, 02:53 PM
I'm hoping Elway gives us a hint and announces that he wants lynch to be a bronco for a long time.

BroncoJoe
08-13-2018, 02:55 PM
What is the cap hit (if any) if Lynch quits? I could see him doing this if he's demoted to 3rd string.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-13-2018, 03:23 PM
rest - http://1043thefan.com/2076287/schefter-trade-value-paxton-lynch/

Thank you captain obvious Schefter.

BeefStew25
08-13-2018, 03:30 PM
What is the cap hit (if any) if Lynch quits? I could see him doing this if he's demoted to 3rd string.

I don’t see him quitting.

Davii
08-13-2018, 03:34 PM

Paxton would be a big dead money hit were he cut now. I, personally, don't care, cut him, but I can see why there's hesitation.

Hawgdriver
08-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Paxton would be a big dead money hit were he cut now. I, personally, don't care, cut him, but I can see why there's hesitation.

This is the part the baffles me a bit. If you carry 3 qbs on the roster and have limited resources to develop them each year, and QB is by far the most important position for franchise value, why ride a loser with justification that it's a cap hit?

Houston ditched their loser, Osweiler, when it was obvious misuse of limited resources. Seattle, too, with Flynn. I realize there is a difference, but the boldness of leadership is the point. I think that management thought process is both tepid and incorrect. Until you have a QB, you might as well ignore cap nuance.

Davii
08-13-2018, 03:45 PM
This is the part the baffles me a bit. If you carry 3 qbs on the roster and have limited resources to develop them each year, and QB is by far the most important position for franchise value, why ride a loser with justification that it's a cap hit?

Houston ditched their loser, Osweiler, when it was obvious misuse of limited resources. Seattle, too, with Flynn. I realize there is a difference, but the boldness of leadership is the point. I think that management thought process is both tepid and incorrect. Until you have a QB, you might as well ignore cap nuance.

That's why I said I don't care, kick the bum to the curb. However, I think he was possibly looked at as a passable backup. Which, he isn't. With Kelly outplaying him, I don't think he makes the team this year

Cugel
08-13-2018, 04:06 PM
That's why I said I don't care, kick the bum to the curb. However, I think he was possibly looked at as a passable backup. Which, he isn't. With Kelly outplaying him, I don't think he makes the team this year

It would be nice to think that, but it's not at all clear that Elway will permit VJ to just dump Paxton. For one thing they would have to go out and hire a veteran, and the time frame for doing that is narrowing quickly.

For instance, one viable backup would be Teddy Bridgewater, but the Jets want a 3rd round pick for him. That might be more than teams will pay, but they will want something, and Denver would have to decide whether to give up a draft pick to secure a backup who doesn't totally suck.

Meanwhile time is passing and they are doing nothing to address the problem. That indicates they are just damning all criticism, and insisting on keeping Paxton and "developing" him, whatever that even means at this point.

If Lynch has even a mediocre performance they are going to ride into the season with him as the backup. And Chad Kelly will be on another team. If he continues to be outplayed by Kelly that presents a real problem.

They weren't planning on having a QB competition for 2nd string. VJ has already said "no" - there's no QB competition. Kelly is #3 and Paxton #2. They don't want to change that. They are being forced to consider it because Kelly is not going to get through waivers so they can't stash him on the practice squad.

Plus they don't want to carry 3 QBs.
Plus, only Paxton is a veteran backup with actual regular season experience.
Plus, their plan all along was to continue to "develop" him.
Their plan for Kelly was to "see what we've got."

I doubt they expected him to outplay Lynch, and thought they would see if he's worthy of stashing on the practice squad for another year. Now that won't be an option, since he'd be claimed off waivers - just like Kyle Sloter was last year.

And of course the fans will be enraged if they keep Lynch and cut Kelly!

ChubbNYiadom
08-13-2018, 04:07 PM
Th Broncos can't afford to.have 5 million of dead money the next few year's, we will probably have too carry 3 quarterbacks now.

LawDog
08-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Th Broncos can't afford to.have 5 million of dead money the next few year's, we will probably have too carry 3 quarterbacks now.

Paxton’s dead cap for this year is around $4.5 mil, and next year is around $1.9 mil. Please tell us how you get to “5 million of dead money the next few year[‘]s”?

DenBronx
08-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Tim Tebow was better than Paxton. We need to move on while there is still time. Kelly should be the #2.

FanInAZ
08-13-2018, 05:07 PM

I've seen Stanton with the Cards & his OK if you need him to fill in for a few games if your QB goes down. If our D is a good as advertised, then we could win some games against borderline play-off contenders with him.

FanInAZ
08-13-2018, 05:10 PM

We're going to carry 3 QBs because that's what we do.

Freyaka
08-13-2018, 05:20 PM
Paxton’s dead cap for this year is around $4.5 mil, and next year is around $1.9 mil. Please tell us how you get to “5 million of dead money the next few year[‘]s”?

Ya'll know that's Yash right? Like has anyone figured that out yet lol.

VonDoom
08-13-2018, 05:36 PM

Yeah, this. If we cut him, it just accelerates the dead money till this year. I’ll take it to be rid of him. Kelly is officially number two now - I can’t see them going back to Lynch

Krugan
08-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Think it works out to just over 1.8 mil cap hit this year if released. Although i may have done bad math.

Krugan
08-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Think it works out to just over 1.8 mil cap hit this year if released. Although i may have done bad math.

That is adding from his now cap hit to his dead money, is an additional 1.8.

Timmy!
08-13-2018, 05:41 PM
Kelly is now the #2. Rejoice peasants.

Dzone
08-13-2018, 08:29 PM
Thats right and he's going to beat out Casey Keesum and start week one. Go Kelly! Kelly=Favre!!!!

Shazam!
08-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Thats right and he's going to beat out Casey Keesum and start week one. Go Kelly! Kelly=Favre!!!!

You know i thought of Farve watching him

ChubbNYiadom
08-13-2018, 10:35 PM

4.5 and 1.9 is 5 million, dead money.

I have a strange feeling that Lynch play's well this week and thing's are going to get very sketchy.

ChubbNYiadom
08-13-2018, 10:37 PM
We're going to carry 3 QBs because that's what we do.

Might be hard to do so honestly, Lynch could very well be on his way out if he doesn't turn in some impressive play the next few games.

Cugel
08-13-2018, 11:45 PM
Moving Paxton to the #3 team is a sign that the Broncos are getting ready to move on from him. Either he climbs back to #2 or else gets released. I can't imagine keeping him on the roster if he can't beat out Mr. Irrelevant after failing to beat out 7th rounder Trevor.

I just never thought Elway would permit them to move him out. I suppose Paxton gave them no cover to keep him with the #2s.

slim
08-14-2018, 12:06 AM
I suppose Paxton gave them no cover to keep him with the #2s.

Ya think?

ChubbNYiadom
08-14-2018, 12:38 AM
I'm joking by the way, I just think it would be hilarious if Paxton played great this week just too see people reaction.

Reality of that happening is slim too none.

slim
08-14-2018, 12:40 AM
I'm joking by the way, I just think it would be hilarious if Paxton played great this week just too see people reaction.

It's been a minute, jwalk. Glad to see you are still around.

Elevation inc
08-14-2018, 07:13 AM
I will rejoice the day Paxton is finally cut.

Freyaka
08-14-2018, 09:25 AM
Yeah, this. If we cut him, it just accelerates the dead money till this year. I’ll take it to be rid of him. Kelly is officially number two now - I can’t see them going back to Lynch

At this point it isn't about money, it's about who we have to cut that is more talented to make room for him.

If we as an example have to cut someone like Lindsay, holland, Patrick or Jewell to keep him on the roster to save the $5m....I'd rather we lose the $5M. Lynch is taking up a valuable roster space, we only have 53 of those and we're going to need each and every one of them.

Freyaka
08-14-2018, 09:26 AM

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sEkFvZ45seI/Vt266d9tjaI/AAAAAAAANjE/v4cmUZuJJM4/s200/adama-sosayweall.jpg

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-14-2018, 09:48 AM

Drive by post. :D

Northman
08-14-2018, 03:49 PM
https://scontent.fphl2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/39040811_2470906479802455_3805032409380945920_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=a72e6ca57b28ff50bd8afc0e5a4ca84a&oe=5C097529

Canmore
08-14-2018, 04:01 PM
4.5 and 1.9 is 5 million, dead money.

I have a strange feeling that Lynch play's well this week and thing's are going to get very sketchy.

There's a first for everything.

Northman
08-14-2018, 04:04 PM

Why? Would Paxton playing well against 3rd stringers really mean he has improved over everything else in his body of work thus far as a Bronco?

spikerman
08-14-2018, 04:30 PM
I was on the “give Lynch a chance” train, but after what I saw on Saturday with three years of NFL experience, any one of us could have looked just as good. Time to give up.

BeefStew25
08-14-2018, 05:08 PM
I was on the “give Lynch a chance” train, but after what I saw on Saturday with three years of NFL experience, any one of us could have looked just as good. Time to give up.

Imagine Mo under center.

spikerman
08-14-2018, 05:10 PM
Imagine Mo under center.

The offensive line would have to stay in a 3 point stance for him to be able to throw the ball.

Davii
08-14-2018, 05:10 PM
Imagine Mo under center.

Literally

BeefStew25
08-14-2018, 05:15 PM
The offensive line would have to stay in a 3 point stance for him to be able to throw the ball.

Rudy Rudy Rudy Rudy

MOtorboat
08-14-2018, 05:20 PM
We gon’ chuck dat pigskin.

Hawgdriver
08-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Imagine Mo under center.

I bet he would kick ass. Get himself fired up about these slights, light up your team like a Christmas tree, then turn to you, beef, and treat you to a fistful of crotch.

It's what short QBs do.

MOtorboat
08-14-2018, 05:53 PM
I bet he would kick ass. Get himself fired up about these slights, light up your team like a Christmas tree, then turn to you, beef, and treat you to a fistful of crotch.

It's what short QBs do.

How dare you do that.

wayninja
08-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Gonna need a step-stool in order to do any ass kicking.

BeefStew25
08-14-2018, 09:34 PM
Gonna need a step-stool in order to do any ass kicking.

Don’t talk about my friend like that.

wayninja
08-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Don’t talk about my friend like that.

I offer my heartfelt apologies and withdraw my comment. Any offense taken is sincerely regretted and I will commit to refrain from any microaggression in the future that threatens your sensibilities in any way for your friends and family in perpetuity.

Hawgdriver
08-14-2018, 10:05 PM
How dare you do that.

I bet you would kick ass though, really. You understand this game pretty well from what I can tell.

MOtorboat
08-14-2018, 10:09 PM
I bet you would kick ass though, really. You understand this game pretty well from what I can tell.

I’ll take the headset and head upstairs. I don’t think you want me on the field.

Hawgdriver
08-14-2018, 10:10 PM
I’ll take the headset and head upstairs. I don’t think you want me on the field.

But if you had to....

....?

MOtorboat
08-14-2018, 10:11 PM
But if you had to....

....?

Vontaze Burfict would probably literally kill me.

Hawgdriver
08-14-2018, 10:14 PM
Vontaze Burfict would probably literally kill me.

When you put it like that, I don't understand why they all don't wilt like a Siemian. What a truly violent game.

MOtorboat
08-14-2018, 10:17 PM
When you put it like that, I don't understand why they all don't wilt like a Siemian. What a truly violent game.

https://youtu.be/UJeH5nUrPss

BeefStew25
08-14-2018, 10:28 PM

Big Daddy is LT.

Buff
08-15-2018, 09:34 PM
It's time...

In my second season in the NFL I was starting for my hometown team, the Denver Broncos, and I did not play good football. To make matters worse, the coach who believed in me, Mike Shanahan, had been fired and his replacement, Josh McDaniels, made it clear I was starting only because he had no one else. Not because he believed in me.

One bad performance turned into two, two into three, three turned into a player on the field that didn’t believe he belonged there. My coaches had lost faith in me, and instead of picking me up when I was down they kicked me. My confidence was shattered and, by the next training camp, I was released.

At the time it was devastating. In hindsight, it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I started over with the Seahawks. My coaches wanted me, believed in me and encouraged me. They reshaped my game and turned me into a player that, including the playoffs, would start 60-some games over an eight-year career and win a Super Bowl. Had I not been cut by Denver and given a fresh start in Seattle I’m not sure I would have even continued playing football. That’s how little confidence I had and how miserable I was at my work environment.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticDEN/status/1029918166191730688

Davii
08-15-2018, 09:47 PM
It's time...

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticDEN/status/1029918166191730688

I wish I could read the whole thing, mainly because it speaks to how shitty of a coach McDumbass is.

Shazam!
08-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Actually it was Polumbus who immediately helped solidify the OLine in 2015 in his return. The already crippled offense never would have crawled down the stretch. Oddly enough he returned where it all started and won there. His story is interesting.

ChubbNYiadom
08-15-2018, 10:04 PM
Well so far it has ben best for lynch to get demoted, he definitely earned it.

The last few day's have been great day's for him after being demoted. Long ways to go for him though, if he sucks Saturday it was all for nothing.

Davii
08-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Well so far it has ben best for lynch to get demoted, he definitely earned it.

The last few day's have been great day's for him after being demoted. Long ways to go for him though, if he sucks Saturday it was all for nothing.

If being demoted was good imagine how good cutting him will be!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-15-2018, 10:11 PM
Paxton has always played well in shorts/7 on 7. You have to take that with a grain of salt.

slim
08-15-2018, 10:45 PM
Most 3rd team QBs look good in the preseason.

ChubbNYiadom
08-15-2018, 11:50 PM

Yeah id imagine that would light some real fire.

ChubbNYiadom
08-15-2018, 11:53 PM
Most 3rd team QBs look good in the preseason.

Are you taking shots at Kelly, sloter and the new 3rd team star Lynch?

Elevation inc
08-16-2018, 07:08 AM
Paxton has always played well in shorts/7 on 7. You have to take that with a grain of salt.

Exactly. I don't understand that Paxton throwing well to the 3's the last couple days is a verification of anything. Especially since VJ himself said he wasn't happy with our 2nd team defense because partly the depth at S, and CB. That essentially means that he is throwing well against a depleted secondary on the third string LMAO, cause that ain't anything good in my book.

BroncoWave
08-16-2018, 07:16 AM
Exactly. I don't understand that Paxton throwing well to the 3's the last couple days is a verification of anything. Especially since VJ himself said he wasn't happy with our 2nd team defense because partly the depth at S, and CB. That essentially means that he is throwing well against a depleted secondary on the third string LMAO, cause that ain't anything good in my book.

FWIW, we're practicing against the bears right now, so Paxton isn't going against our defense.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-16-2018, 07:23 AM
FWIW, we're practicing against the bears right now, so Paxton isn't going against our defense.

Well, all those throws yesterday were in shorts, which means no pass rush

BroncoWave
08-16-2018, 07:35 AM
Well, all those throws yesterday were in shorts, which means no pass rush

No argument here, certainly not defending the guy. Just wanted to clarify the point of who he was going up against.

Elevation inc
08-16-2018, 08:03 AM

I meant the first 2 days was where most of that was Paxton looked good stuff was stated. What I have read here and there was that Paxton had a strong 1st 2 days of practice Mon and Tuesday. So my point in previous posts holds water, and the fact he looked good should be meaningless considering who he was playin against in practice on day 1 and 2. I haven't heard or read anything that says he did really well yesterday against the bears other than some twitter stuff that he looked good in individual drills which has no validity to me after 3 years in the NFL. At this point Paxton is a BUM who has no work ethic, and looks good with no pressure or live action, but is completely lost in live action because of poor work ethic and bad study habits as well as a lack of drive to be a Pro in this league. That was even more evident by the fact he got upset about being benched after a horrendous showing in his pre-season action. I liken him to Corey Coleman of the browns who was just traded. Watch the hard knocks episode and you see bad practice habits and then a whiny little scene about why he is second team, and if they don't want to play him trade him. It reminded me so much of our own entitled first rd pick in lynch. Cleveland was smart and did exactly that. Its time for Denver to cut bait end of story. There is no hope for Paxton regardless of the fluff pieces now coming out of camp since his benching. All he should worry about now is playing his ass off on 3rd string so some team might give him a shot as a 2nd(doubtful) or 3rd QB for the season.

Freyaka
08-16-2018, 09:23 AM

Wonder if New-Yash will keep posting here once his hero Paxton gets cut.

BeefStew25
08-16-2018, 03:45 PM
Wonder if New-Yash will keep posting here once his hero Paxton gets cut.

Attack the post not the poster.

Freyaka
08-16-2018, 03:53 PM
Attack the post not the poster.

And there it is...

Cugel
08-16-2018, 10:06 PM
This thread is now unnecessary. Elway today just basically admitted they are cutting Paxton.

He was asked what he's looking for in a 2nd string QB and said a veteran guy who can come in if the starter is hurt and win the game. And then he added that they will be looking for a veteran and that they will be patient.

What that means is they will take a look at what Chad Kelly looks like this week going against the 2's and especially against the Bears this game.

If Kelly makes them feel confident he can handle it, they go with 2 QBs. If not they go out and get a QB in FA. The only thing keeping Paxton on the roster right now is that they need 3 QBs for camp and that they can't find anybody to trade for him because the entire league knows he's pure garbage.

I think Elway is screwing up again though. They need to just pick up a #3 QB for a training camp arm and cut Paxton right now, so that he has a chance to land on another roster this year. If he does, then they gain some cap relief. If he sits out the season they have to pay him $4 million against the cap.

Nobody is going to trade for him knowing the Broncos will only cut him. And if they wait until the final cuts he's probably not going to make a roster this season.

Davii
08-16-2018, 10:56 PM
This thread is now unnecessary. Elway today just basically admitted they are cutting Paxton.

He was asked what he's looking for in a 2nd string QB and said a veteran guy who can come in if the starter is hurt and win the game. And then he added that they will be looking for a veteran and that they will be patient.

What that means is they will take a look at what Chad Kelly looks like this week going against the 2's and especially against the Bears this game.

If Kelly makes them feel confident he can handle it, they go with 2 QBs. If not they go out and get a QB in FA. The only thing keeping Paxton on the roster right now is that they need 3 QBs for camp and that they can't find anybody to trade for him because the entire league knows he's pure garbage.

I think Elway is screwing up again though. They need to just pick up a #3 QB for a training camp arm and cut Paxton right now, so that he has a chance to land on another roster this year. If he does, then they gain some cap relief. If he sits out the season they have to pay him $4 million against the cap.

Nobody is going to trade for him knowing the Broncos will only cut him. And if they wait until the final cuts he's probably not going to make a roster this season.

Just a few days ago you were saying Elway was forcing Paxton on VJ and Kelly had zero chance of making the squad...

ChubbNYiadom
08-17-2018, 12:21 AM
Just a few days ago you were saying Elway was forcing Paxton on VJ and Kelly had zero chance of making the squad...

Whoa....

BeefStew25
08-17-2018, 09:07 AM

Cugels jugular slowly bleeds out.

Freyaka
08-17-2018, 09:47 AM