PDA

View Full Version : Sloter TD

ShaneFalco
08-11-2017, 03:03 AM
https://j.gifs.com/k5GAOr.gif

Hawgdriver
08-11-2017, 03:08 AM
Wow. That is as accurate and as driven of an NFL throw you will ever see.

Timmy!
08-11-2017, 05:18 AM
Wow. That is as accurate and as driven of an NFL throw you will ever see.

8 yard step up, wr open by 15 yards. Yay preseason.

#golfclap

Northman
08-11-2017, 05:53 AM

#golfclap

It is preseason but i actually loved that he utilized the pocket like a QB should. Siemian and Lynch still have a problem with this. Granted, Sloter was playing against the scrubs of scrubs but it was good to see he didnt shit the bed like Lynch did last night.

BroncoWave
08-11-2017, 06:46 AM

#golfclap

Right? There was barely even another Bears player in the screen when he caught the ball. Like I said in the other thread, Sloter appears to be this year's "great undrafted hope".

That's usually reserved for some scrub RB or WR, so good to see people shaking things up this year!

BroncoWave
08-11-2017, 07:57 AM
To add to that last post, if he makes that same throw with a pass rusher barreling down on him and a CB draped all over his WR and still drops it right in there, I will be on board. But any QB on an NFL roster should be able to reliably make that throw he made last night with no pressure in his face and no one in the same zip code as the WR.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-11-2017, 08:01 AM
Yes the WR was wide open, anyone can see that. What excites me is how easy it was for him to drop a 50 yard time. It was effortless. That dude has a cannon with the ability to put touch on the ball.

Hawgdriver
08-11-2017, 10:34 AM

#golfclap

Asddftyijoo

Joel
08-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Yes the WR was wide open, anyone can see that. What excites me is how easy it was for him to drop a 50 yard time. It was effortless. That dude has a cannon with the ability to put touch on the ball.
Pfft, that throw barely had 49 yds of air time: Get off Sloters jock, fanboi! :tongue: More seriously, I question whether "any QB on an NFL roster should be able to" launch a ball over half the field yet still so accurately his receiver doesn't even break stride and can practically fall into the end zone.

Ok, sure, it was the dreg team D and he didn't have a huge pass rush in his face nor three DBs guarding his man (is throwing into triple coverage something we WANT our QBs to do? :confused:) But it's not the QBs "fault" his WR was wide open, and if the worst thing we ever have to say about a Broncos starting QB is that he throws a ton of "low difficulty" game-tying TDs I won't complain. If only because I'm well aware there will always be plenty of OTHER people to that for me. ;)

Anyway, unless Lynch AND Siemian are absolutely HORRIBLE the only way Sloter's seeing the field is in the kind of kneeldown duty that produced Siemians single-play 2015 "season" when HE was the 3rd stringer. The biggest thing I liked about that play was the California King-sized pocket, but, again: Most of those "pass rushers" will be working on a loading dock by the end of the month.

underrated29
08-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Asddftyijoo

Wbyceiydbo

webeesadevo!

NightTerror218
08-11-2017, 11:23 AM
I think it is safe to say any QB should make that throw WE so open. He did throw it perfectly.

Slick
08-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Carol would have made that play.

Rick
08-11-2017, 01:31 PM

This is exactly it.

For me, it was that the ball rocketed out of his hand. It was right on target and yes the receiver was open, but damn that ball just took off like it was shot out of a cannon with no effort from him.

BroncoJoe
08-11-2017, 01:40 PM
Seriously. Anyone that doesn't appreciate that throw is just, well, dumb.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-11-2017, 01:52 PM
He has excellent feet. I also liked how fluid he looked taking snaps from under center. There is no way this dude gets cut.

BroncoWave
08-11-2017, 01:57 PM

No one is saying it wasn't a good throw. But it's not dumb to point out the context of the play.

BroncoJoe
08-11-2017, 02:01 PM
No one is saying it wasn't a good throw. But it's not dumb to point out the context of the play.

Which, you've missed.

My point is (and I maintain) that the other two QB's on the roster might not have even seen the WR streaking down the field wide open, let alone drop on a dime. There were at least two "wide open" receivers to his left and right. The throw he made was probably his 3rd option. Plus, there was pressure. He had to step up 5 yards to avoid the rush and still delivered a strike.

It was 3rd and 17. All the Bears DB's were playing 10 yards off the ball.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-11-2017, 02:01 PM

It is dumb to assume the context wasn't noticed simply because the throw was commended.

Not to say you did that-

BroncoWave
08-11-2017, 02:03 PM
Which, you've missed.

My point is (and I maintain) that the other two QB's on the roster might not have even seen the WR streaking down the field wide open, let alone drop on a dime. There were at least two "wide open" receivers to his left and right. The throw he made was probably his 3rd option. Plus, there was pressure. He had to step up 5 yards to avoid the rush and still delivered a strike.

It was 3rd and 17. All the Bears DB's were playing 10 yards off the ball.

There was no pressure whatsoever on that play. Simply a wide open pocket that he was able to step in to. Maybe he had to get that 5 yard running start to chuck it that far. :D

WARHORSE
08-11-2017, 02:25 PM
First of all, Sloter.....the 3rd string QB has been getting mentioned all during this offseason OTAs and the training camp. Hes been mentioned every practice.

When I see the dude play.......I see a comfortable 6'5" QB who has poise, feet, accuracy and a cannon. Oh.....did you know he runs a 4.5?

I even loved his near pick.....he sees the field.

It will take him time to figure out what his arm can and cannot do in the NFL........what I DIDNT see was a pass into double or triple coverage under pressure.

Im not anointing him........but I do LOVE this kid!!

BeefStew25
08-11-2017, 02:58 PM
He just needs to gel

topscribe
08-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Well, as Hawgdriver implied, the context would include what the QB may have done to get the WR open.
How much did his eye contact draw the safeties out of the area? Just a thought (well, not my thought, actually).

BroncoWave
08-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Well, as Hawgdriver implied, the context would include what the QB may have done to get the WR open.
How much did his eye contact draw the safeties out of the area? Just a thought (well, not my thought, actually).

Which I realize and appreciate, but a more seasoned safety, like he might normally face as a starter, probably wouldn't be fooled that badly by the QB's eyes.

I'm not trying to hate on the guy, just trying to keep a level perspective here.

topscribe
08-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Which I realize and appreciate, but a more seasoned safety, like he might normally face as a starter, probably wouldn't be fooled that badly by the QB's eyes.

I'm not trying to hate on the guy, just trying to keep a level perspective here.
That's true. They were mostly third-stringers out there by that time.

Tned cautioned us not to get too high on a partial game performance. Good advice.

BroncoWave
08-11-2017, 03:23 PM
That's true. They were mostly third-stringers out there by that time.

Tned cautioned us not to get too high on a partial game performance. Good advice.

I do think he showed enough to get a bit of a more extended look. He's probably playing himself onto the 53 man roster this year.

Hawgdriver
08-11-2017, 03:30 PM
I do think he showed enough to get a bit of a more extended look. He's probably playing himself onto the 53 man roster this year.

It was a busted coverage, whether or not Sloter did his part to cause that--3d string DBs probably are pushing to make a splash play and read too much into QB eyes--and a nice conversion. He did about as well as a #3 could so he should get some more looks.

Poet
08-11-2017, 03:39 PM

You call a lot of people who disagree with you dumb. We can all appreciate that it was a TD, that it was a fun play, that it looked great. We can also realize that if you miss someone that open with a pocket clean than the Pope's soul you are garbage.

Hawgdriver
08-11-2017, 03:45 PM
You call a lot of people who disagree with you dumb. We can all appreciate that it was a TD, that it was a fun play, that it looked great. We can also realize that if you miss someone that open with a pocket clean than the Pope's soul you are garbage.

You are saying two things here. It looked great and it was also a play every QB would make every time. Which is it?

I am saying it's not a play every QB would make every time, to convert the blown coverage, to hit his receiver perfectly (no need to slow down, compensate), with that velocity. It was a great play.

Poet
08-11-2017, 03:47 PM
You are saying two things here. It looked great and it was also a play every QB would make every time. Which is it?

I am saying it's not a play every QB would make every time, to convert the blown coverage, to hit his receiver perfectly (no need to slow down, compensate), with that velocity. It was a great play.

It looked great as in it is aesthetically pleasing - there is no dichotomy here.

He had all day to climb the ladder and set up the shot.

Hawgdriver
08-11-2017, 03:48 PM
It looked great as in it is aesthetically pleasing - there is no dichotomy here.

He had all day to climb the ladder and set up the shot.

You are hard to please! I am glad that I enjoyed that pedestrian play as much as I did.

Poet
08-11-2017, 03:51 PM
You are hard to please! I am glad that I enjoyed that pedestrian play as much as I did.

Dude, when the game is on I'm just a fan. FFS, TS made a throw last night that damn near got me out of my seat. This is me in a different mode.

I will say this, your comment made me rethink this a bit. I would think that almost anyone would hit the player. I think most would be able to give their best, or all-star game throw. His all-star game throw looks better than a lot of player's, even some really good QB's, like Brady, for instance. So while he just got to slam dunk it on that play, we could ascretain that his arm would be able to do more on some plays than other guys.

Hitting him was a pedestrian play. The way he did it wasn't.

Hawgdriver
08-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Dude, when the game is on I'm just a fan. FFS, TS made a throw last night that damn near got me out of my seat. This is me in a different mode.

I will say this, your comment made me rethink this a bit. I would think that almost anyone would hit the player. I think most would be able to give their best, or all-star game throw. His all-star game throw looks better than a lot of player's, even some really good QB's, like Brady, for instance. So while he just got to slam dunk it on that play, we could ascretain that his arm would be able to do more on some plays than other guys.

Hitting him was a pedestrian play. The way he did it wasn't.

:werd:

Slam dunk, that's a great analogy. It was a Blake Griffin highlight posterizing dunk.

Poet
08-11-2017, 03:53 PM
:werd:

Slam dunk, that's a great analogy. It was a Blake Griffin highlight posterizing dunk.

One of the reasons why I love the boards and dialectics is that two points that are valid can be interchanged in an exchange and made better. A true synthesis. This exchange was great.

BroncoJoe
08-11-2017, 05:54 PM

You're DUMB!!!!!!

Jsteve01
08-11-2017, 08:17 PM
He throws a great ball with very high velocity. When they put him on the gun at the CU pro day he had as much velocity as any quarterback in the last two drafts. His arm strength is not in doubt. Honestly the play that got me more excited about him was when he slid left with the pocket breaking down and rather than breaking and running which any big athletic guy that runs a 4.5 you would think would prefer to do found Raymond. That to me was his signature play of the night.

Poet
08-11-2017, 09:37 PM
You're DUMB!!!!!!

Thanks for the validation.

Joel
08-12-2017, 12:26 PM
I remain unconvinced any and all NFL starters have that COMBINATION of range and accuracy. This wasn't Joe Flacco blindly launching a lob in hopes Torrey Smith could run under it. But for sake of argument, let's say equal field vision, precision and arm strength are all routine for each and every one of 32 starting NFL QBs.

I don't recall ANY of OURS making a similar throw since 2013. That includes BOTH guys we started last year.

In itself, that doesn't make Sloter a potential HoFer nor even starter: Maybe it just means we haven't had a starting quality QB since age and a Swiss cheese line reduced Manning to the walking wounded. Yet in the interest of starting "whoever gives us the best chance to win," it IS an argument against both Lynch and Siemian. A weak argument until/unless Sloter replicates, while Lynch and Siemian continue failing to match, that lone throw, but an argument nonetheless.

Ignoring their respective charter fan clubs, the biggest concern about our QB uncertainty is that if Lynch OR Siemian were anything special there would almost certainly be some clear separation between them. As it stands, we were either amazingly lucky to draft a PAIR of perennial Pro Bowlers or NEITHER is franchise QB material. Their performance so far is also an argument, for the second scenario.

Is Sloter the solution to that problem? Almost certainly not, just because of the law of averages. That said, the biggest reason the deck is stacked against late round (let alone undrafted) QBs is that their high profile position coupled with the scale and rigor of NFL scouting makes them largely known quantities after three or four years of college play: Someone lacking that collegiate resume due to circumstances beyond his control is PRECISELY the kind of player who could be an exception.

The only way to know is to put them on the field against real opposition and see who performs best (even if "best" is still pretty bad.) That's why Mark Sanchez was cut and Lynch rode pine last year, while an unknown 7th round sophomore with a single pro SNAP (a kneeldown) and single collegiate season starting wound up at the helm of the reigning World Champs. I have misgivings about McCoy; ironically, all the criticisms that Kubiak was conservative and unimaginative are dead on target with McCoy, IMHO. Yet he does have the experience to recognize genuine QB talent when he sees it, so I imagine he'll put the best QB we have on the field Opening Day.

It's easy to imagine Sloter winding up as our TBA starters backup though, with whoever's caught in the middle soon traded to another team even more desperate for even a potential franchise QB. That is fairly routine in the NFL also and, however good or bad our current situation, I'm glad we didn't commit two years and nearly $40M of cap space to Oz when we could (and did) get equal or better QB play for orders of magnitude less.