PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy's Training Camp Takeaways 7/28/17

Ziggy
07-28-2017, 03:44 PM
It's that time again! Let me preface this report by saying, no pads were worn today. Knowing that, my focus was on speed, size, and vision. This will be a short one guys, but some report is better than none. Here were some of my impressions today.

1. The defensive line is MUCH bigger. Wolfe, Gotsis, and even Crick look bigger. Add in Peko and Kerr and there is a noticeable difference between this season and last.

2. Isaiah McKenzie moves like a flash. Blink and you miss him.

3. The QB competition is wide open. I saw all the tweets myself, and they seemed to heavily favor Lynch. That's not what I saw. I saw Lynch struggle with the touch passes, and Siemian being completely inept at the long passes. Siemian had an interception, and Lynch should have been picked by Talib. Lynch did make a couple of 'wow' plays on long throws, while Siemian made one amazing touch pass in the red zone. Siemian struggles on anything past mid range, while Paxton often has trouble with anything beyond his first read. I gave Lynch a slight edge today, but I think the competition is probably neck and neck.

4. The battle is on at LT......and it's over IMO. Watching Bolles move and set, it's obvious that his skill set is more than a notch above Sambrailo. I'm expecting that decision to be made very soon.

5. De'Angelo Henderson looks really good with the pads off. He was mixed in with the first and second team today and finds the holes quickly. He also accelerates on the cut well.

6. Von has become the team leader, hands down. He was revving up the crowd, his teammates, the ball boys, and anything or anyone else who showed up at Dove Valley. He was pumping up Bolles after he shut down Edembali, he handled a couple of kickoffs from the JUGGS Machine at the beginning of practice, and he even jumped in on one special teams return drill later. Oh by the way, Von looks quicker and stronger. I have no idea how that can happen, but it's what I'm seeing.

7. Practices are shorter, but still fun to watch. There was just as much O vs. D, but a lot less individual unit drills.

8. The Oline is bigger, but not as noticeably bigger as the D line is.

9. There was some bad blood going on between DT and Chris Harris. Talib actually played peacemaker on both sides, but the jawing went on for a while.

10. There is a lot emphasis on special teams than I've seen before. That may just be a today thing, but who knows. I'll find out tomorrow when I go.

Other thoughts-

Brendan Langley made an impression today as well. He broke up a pass in the endzone during red zone drills and Talib and Harris went nuts. You can tell that he's well liked by the No Fly Zone.

McKenzie did individual drills with the WR's not the RB's. I'm wondering if he'll split that up later, since McCoy had said that they may use him out of the backfield.

Brandon Marshall was wearing a weight vest during practice, and still had great coverage during the 7 on 7's.

Oh yeah, I'll be there tomorrow as well. Looking forward to seeing the shoulder pads come on for the first time.

BroncoWave
07-28-2017, 03:50 PM
These things are like drugs. I need more!!!

Slick
07-28-2017, 03:53 PM
Thank you Ziggy.

Ziggy
07-28-2017, 03:53 PM
One other observation:

Jamaal Charles doesn't look right to me. He walks with a little hitch in his giddyup. It may just be the brace, but he's not moving like he's completely recovered. I hope I'm off on this one.

guitarj
07-28-2017, 03:56 PM
You are awesome. Thank you!

underrated29
07-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Ill be there tomorrow Ziggs. BUT I heard that pads go on sunday not saturday. Tomorrow is just shells.

NightTerror218
07-28-2017, 04:49 PM
So glad you give these annual reports from TC.

We love you ziggy.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-28-2017, 05:06 PM
One other observation:

Jamaal Charles doesn't look right to me. He walks with a little hitch in his giddyup. It may just be the brace, but he's not moving like he's completely recovered. I hope I'm off on this one.

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 3h

#Broncos Charles worn brace last two days. Still trying to get comfortable with it. If doesn't like it, will junk it @DenverChannel

topscribe
07-28-2017, 05:25 PM
Thanks, Zig. Reading these is like getting a fix . . .

Denver Native (Carol)
07-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Ill be there tomorrow Ziggs. BUT I heard that pads go on sunday not saturday. Tomorrow is just shells.

Jeff Legwold‏Verified account @Jeff_Legwold 4h

And from Friday's Broncos practice ...

Overheard: The Broncos will practice in pads for the first time Sunday... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0682689490879258245-4 …

Ziggy
07-28-2017, 08:27 PM
Full pads on Sunday, but the shoulder pads go on tomorrow. Should be more physical tomorrow, then full blown nasty on Sunday.

Ziggy
07-28-2017, 08:28 PM

Hey UR, watch Charles jogging back to the huddle after the play tomorrow and see if you can see what I'm seeing please.

Nomad
07-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the updates, Ziggy. :salute:

VonDoom
07-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Thanks Ziggy. Love the first hand accounts. Interesting stuff, especially with the QB's

underrated29
07-28-2017, 11:30 PM
Hey UR, watch Charles jogging back to the huddle after the play tomorrow and see if you can see what I'm seeing please.

You got it man. You know I'm a tough critic when I critique. I'll notice and tell you what I see.

pnbronco
07-28-2017, 11:33 PM
Thanks Ziggy....I got down there really late today. Threw my back out yesterday, plus we have a dog that should not still be alive, but is, so I've gotten very little sleep this last week. Anyway...the little I saw I thought Trevor looked composed and had some really nice throws. Paxton still looks young to me....so glad to read your thoughts....maybe this weekend I'll be able to get out of the house at a decent time...or maybe not....:lol:

Simple Jaded
07-28-2017, 11:55 PM
Ziggy, zoggy, Ziggy, zoggy...Oye! Oye! Oye!

Poet
07-29-2017, 12:28 AM
Ziggy is the GOAT!