PDA

View Full Version : PFT is reporting that Devontae Booker is hurt

dogfish
07-26-2017, 10:54 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/26/devontae-booker-has-wrist-injury/

well, shit. . . there's no link, so not sure where it's coming from, but they are claiming that he's expected to miss 6-8 weeks. . . no idea how accurate this is, but it will suck if it's correct. . . that would have him missing all of camp, and potentially missing games in september as well. . . all the more reason for us to hope that jamaal charles is in fact healthy enough to give us some quality production, because we're gonna be real thin behind CJ all of a sudden if he's not-- and CJ's not exactly a model of durability himself, especially if you have to give him a heavy workload every week. . .

Jsteve01
07-26-2017, 11:14 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/26/devontae-booker-has-wrist-injury/

well, shit. . . there's no link, so not sure where it's coming from, but they are claiming that he's expected to miss 6-8 weeks. . . no idea how accurate this is, but it will suck if it's correct. . . that would have him missing all of camp, and potentially missing games in september as well. . . all the more reason for us to hope that jamaal charles is in fact healthy enough to give us some quality production, because we're gonna be real thin behind CJ all of a sudden if he's not-- and CJ's not exactly a model of durability himself, especially if you have to give him a heavy workload every week. . . Klis confirmed it. Well it looks like we're going to get a good long look at Henderson.

Poet
07-26-2017, 11:38 PM
Sign DeAngelo Williams.

MOtorboat
07-26-2017, 11:59 PM
That's at most 2 games, and if it's 6 weeks, he's back for the opener. I don't see it as too big of a deal, other than missing some reps it'd be nice he had.

VonDoom
07-27-2017, 05:48 AM
We'll see more Charles and Henderson for now, I guess. Juwan Thompson could stick around into the regular season as well. Not the end of the world, but kind of a bad start to TC, considering they haven't even gotten on the field yet

BroncoWave
07-27-2017, 09:25 AM
Too bad Hillman got signed by the Cowboys. :couch:

Buff
07-27-2017, 10:16 AM
I may be too down on him after one year - but I thought he was your classic "Look like Tarzan, play like Jane" guy last year. He doesn't seem to have any vision, patience or natural feel. He's like a slightly more talented Juwan Thompson. Hoping Charles and the rook can rise to the occasion.

NightTerror218
07-27-2017, 10:19 AM
He is niwing going to be playing from behind. Henderson should jump to behind charles and cj since bookwr has to learn playbook too. Inliked him in college and think he could be really good.

underrated29
07-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Hes a lot more talented than Juwanna man.

But we have Bernard Pierce as well. He is the best back that is not CJ and Jamal (henderson unknown)....

Booker is a boss. He did not fit the zbs at all. He should do well in this system.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-27-2017, 10:57 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Running back Devontae Booker will miss about six weeks with a fracture in his right wrist, Head Coach Vance Joseph said Thursday.

“We won’t lose him for the season, but training camp’s out,” said Joseph on Thursday on Orange and Blue Radio. “And that’s a shame for him, because he had a strong spring. He’s coming on strong. He wants to be the guy. He’s got good, young legs. So for him, it’s a shame. But that being said, it’s a full room. We’ve got plenty of guys to play until he comes back. We’ve got four or five guys to play here.”

Booker will undergo surgery on Friday.

Added Joseph: “It happened in OTAs, and he felt fine with it. He went home for the summer and came back and got his physical and it was still bothering him a little bit so we took an X-ray, and it was there.”

Joseph said the injury wouldn’t prevent Booker from playing, but that the team was concerned with his “quality of life moving forward.”

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Devontae-Booker-out-estimated-six-weeks-with-small-wrist-fracture/5028a7da-3518-4b9c-be82-22b93eb807d1

Cugel
07-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Well, Booker figured to be CJ's backup and press him for starting time, with Charles coming off the bench as a 3rd down guy, who can catch passes out of the backfield.

I don't know if this affects much. Perhaps they give Charles a bigger role? But, in truth, IF he's healthy and IF he can stay healthy, and IF he hasn't lost too much physically, Charles is by FAR the best RB on the roster. It's not even close. I'd look to see CJ alternate with Charles until they get a view on how much Charles can contribute this season.

But, that man is on a mission to prove everybody wrong and the likelihood is that he's got at least 1 good year left. If that is the case, losing Booker isn't anything to worry about. If not, then they might want to add some depth at RB because the other RBs on the roster are either scrubs (Jawan Thompson) or unproven. Henderson is a nice change of pace back - in theory, but he's a rookie and you can't count on rookies.

Tned
07-27-2017, 12:05 PM
CJ, Henderson, Charles and Janovich, maybe Thompson. I think they are fine.

Cugel
07-27-2017, 01:29 PM
CJ, Henderson, Charles and Janovich, maybe Thompson. I think they are fine.

Well, Janovich isn't going to be carrying the ball a lot. He's a great lead blocker and they will use him in that role a lot. He can also catch an occasional pass coming out of the backfield. We didn't see much from him last year because the OL was so terrible. This year should be different.

I'm getting the feeling that Jamal Charles who is currently "bouncing around between the 1's the 2's and the 3's" is more from bringing him along slowly to evaluate his health, rather than just putting him into a straight up competition with CJ.

Personally, I'm counting on him to make a monster impact in at least 1 game this year. I think he will have a good season left and if so, remember those horrible moments when he would make a move on a defender and get free in the secondary and as a fan you're screaming "NO! NO! Get him down! Get him down!" because of the fear he'd just take it to the House?

That could still be happening for the Broncos this year. :salute:

BroncoWave
07-27-2017, 01:37 PM
Given CJ's injury history and the fact that Booker is already hurt, we might be relying on Charles in a bigger way than we thought this season. Hope he is up to it.

MOtorboat
07-27-2017, 01:57 PM
Given CJ's injury history and the fact that Booker is already hurt, we might be relying on Charles in a bigger way than we thought this season. Hope he is up to it.

He's got an injury history too.

:coffee:

Poet
07-27-2017, 01:59 PM
DeAngelo Williams!

BroncoWave
07-27-2017, 02:05 PM
He's got an injury history too.

:coffee:

Fair point. If only we had a guy who was fairly reliably healthy and productive as a Bronco RB and was super cheap as well. If only we had a guy like that...

MOtorboat
07-27-2017, 02:06 PM
Fair point. If only we had a guy who was fairly reliably healthy and productive as a Bronco RB and was super cheap as well. If only we had a guy like that...

Tatum Bell isn't walking through that door.

BroncoWave
07-27-2017, 02:08 PM

:lol: Well played.

Tatum Bell is a guy who I will always appreciate for being the only player who looked like he gave a shit in that one week 17 blowout loss we had to the Chargers years ago. I was always surprised he never got another chance with a team after that.

Buff
07-27-2017, 02:10 PM
:lol: Well played.

Tatum Bell is a guy who I will always appreciate for being the only player who looked like he gave a shit in that one week 17 blowout loss we had to the Chargers years ago. I was always surprised he never got another chance with a team after that.

I don't think he did himself any favors when he tried to jack Rudi Johnson's luggage in Detroit.

dogfish
07-27-2017, 02:12 PM

game, set and match to the midget!

dogfish
07-27-2017, 02:23 PM
That's at most 2 games, and if it's 6 weeks, he's back for the opener. I don't see it as too big of a deal, other than missing some reps it'd be nice he had.

I may be too down on him after one year - but I thought he was your classic "Look like Tarzan, play like Jane" guy last year. He doesn't seem to have any vision, patience or natural feel. He's like a slightly more talented Juwan Thompson. Hoping Charles and the rook can rise to the occasion.

i wasn't that impressed with him last year-- but in fairness, it's become a much more difficult transition for RBs over the past decade. . . i just have a feeling we're gonna need him at some point, and with us installing a new offense, it certainly doesn't help to have him miss all of camp. . . i am hopefully about charles, but we should probably keep in mind that he basically hasn't produced anything the last two years-- that could mean that he's fresh now, or it could mean that he's done. . . given that we'll be rolling with an inexperienced QB, i'd feel better if we had our whole stable of backs available going into the season. . .

with all that they did with danny woodhead and brandon oliver in san diego, i'm pretty curious to see what deangelo henderson can do, and whether we will get an isaiah mckenzie or carlos henderson involved at all in a gadget role-- running reverses and jet sweeps and the like. . . we saw last year how effective guys like tyreek hill and ty montgomery can be as receivers out of the backfield-- unless charles is right, we don't necessarily have another traditional back who can do that stuff. . .

Simple Jaded
07-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Probably broke wrist slamming into holes that aren't there.

Simple Jaded
07-27-2017, 02:35 PM
DeAngelo Williams!

Carlos Hyde was rumored to be available.

Simple Jaded
07-27-2017, 02:36 PM
We'll see more Charles and Henderson for now, I guess. Juwan Thompson could stick around into the regular season as well. Not the end of the world, but kind of a bad start to TC, considering they haven't even gotten on the field yet

Broncos have Bernard Pierce too, btw.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-27-2017, 02:41 PM
Isn't Henderson a WR?

VonDoom
07-27-2017, 02:55 PM
Isn't Henderson a WR?

That's the other Henderson. Carlos is the WR, De'Angelo is the RB.

VonDoom
07-27-2017, 02:56 PM
On a probably related note:

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 8m8 minutes ago

RB Stevan Ridley worked out for the Broncos today.

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis 8m8 minutes ago

Stevan Ridley was 1,263-yard rusher for Patriots in 2012. Fumbles got him in Bill Belichick's doghouse in 2013. Still only 28. #9sports

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis 4m4 minutes ago

Stevan Ridley was with the Atlanta Falcons for four weeks last season. Played in one game, had 7 yards on 3 carries. #9sports

Tned
07-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Well, Janovich isn't going to be carrying the ball a lot. He's a great lead blocker and they will use him in that role a lot. He can also catch an occasional pass coming out of the backfield. We didn't see much from him last year because the OL was so terrible. This year should be different.

I wouldn't rule Janovich out as a runner. While it was limited carries, he showed in college that he can run and catch the ball.

Buff
07-27-2017, 04:04 PM
The fact that we're signing Ridley at this stage makes me very uneasy about our RB depth. Suddenly Booker doesn't seem so bad.

Tned
07-27-2017, 04:07 PM
The fact that we're signing Ridley at this stage makes me very uneasy about our RB depth. Suddenly Booker doesn't seem so bad.

Depth. It's a high injury position. I'm not sure you can read anything into the state of the backfield from the signing. They probably want x number of RBs in camp. One went down, bring in another.

Buff
07-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Depth. It's a high injury position. I'm not sure you can read anything into the state of the backfield from the signing. They probably want x number of RBs in camp. One went down, bring in another.

I hear you - I'm sure that's true... But I am already uneasy about Charles being able to make the team. So then the prospect of Ridley actually having to play for us doesn't seem encouraging. Especially because it's July. He's the type of guy you sign in December when there's nobody else available.

Tned
07-27-2017, 04:10 PM
I hear you - I'm sure that's true... But I am already uneasy about Charles being able to make the team. So then the prospect of Ridley actually having to play for us doesn't seem encouraging. Especially because it's July. He's the type of guy you sign in December when there's nobody else available.

That's why I have to go with "he's just training camp fodder" because it's too painful to think that Ridley is going to be a integral part of the backfield during the season. :sad:

Simple Jaded
07-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Take advantage of the relationship with the SF FO and Send something legit for Hyde and Trenton Brown, who doesn't fit their ZBS.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-27-2017, 05:13 PM
My feelings, that's what's really hurt.

Simple Jaded
07-27-2017, 05:17 PM
My feelings, that's what's really hurt.

Trenton Brown is a T, not a C?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-27-2017, 05:54 PM
Trenton Brown is a T, not a C?

Oh it's something much worse, my oldest son is a patriots fan

NightTerror218
07-27-2017, 06:11 PM
Welcome steven ridley

MOtorboat
07-27-2017, 06:13 PM
Take advantage of the relationship with the SF FO and Send something legit for Hyde and Trenton Brown, who doesn't fit their ZBS.

I don't see San Francisco trading Hyde in a year where they'll need to run someone into the ground.

VonDoom
07-27-2017, 06:15 PM
I'm kind of surprised they signed Ridley but I guess they wanted another veteran body. I'm guessing he doesn't make the 53, but anything is possible

NightTerror218
07-27-2017, 06:16 PM
I'm kind of surprised they signed Ridley but I guess they wanted another veteran body. I'm guessing he doesn't make the 53, but anything is possible

He was productive with pats and i bekieve is a good receiving rb

VonDoom
07-27-2017, 06:24 PM
He was productive with pats and i bekieve is a good receiving rb

He was productive with the Pats in 2012. That's a lifetime ago in football years

Simple Jaded
07-27-2017, 07:47 PM
I don't see San Francisco trading Hyde in a year where they'll need to run someone into the ground.

I wouldn't either but they put him on blast and apparently Shanatan Jr has a chubby for Joe Williams. I'd be more surprised if they were willing to trade Brown, but I just don't see how he'd ever fit a ZBS.

Simple Jaded
07-27-2017, 07:48 PM

What.......have you done?

Poet
07-27-2017, 08:02 PM

I'm sorry to hear that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-27-2017, 08:19 PM
What.......have you done?
I don't know man. It's the Tom Brady thing. This was after I spent $1500 taking him to a game 7 years ago for his 13th birthday. He even got his hat signed by Knowshon Moreno.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Not as sorry as I am.

I think it's time I showed him that video of Brady dancing like a total goober at the Rio carnival.

Poet
07-27-2017, 08:22 PM
Woof.

Simple Jaded
07-27-2017, 08:25 PM
I don't know man. It's the Tom Brady thing. This was after I spent $1500 taking him to a game 7 years ago for his 13th birthday. He even got his hat signed by Knowshon Moreno.

Not as sorry as I am.

I think it's time I showed him that video of Brady dancing like a total goober at the Rio carnival.

I blame our school systems, that could apply here too.

Hawgdriver
07-27-2017, 08:55 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Does your insurance cover it?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-27-2017, 09:07 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Does your insurance cover it?

Yes, I have life insurance on all of my kids.

dogfish
07-27-2017, 10:37 PM
dear gods, man!

Poet
07-27-2017, 10:55 PM
Yes, I have life insurance on all of my kids.

:lol:

Tned
07-28-2017, 08:15 AM

Not as sorry as I am.

This is why corporal punishment (although in this case, we must consider capital punishment) should not only be allowed but encouraged!!!

dogfish
07-28-2017, 02:14 PM
FWIW, the guys on 104.3 (particularly brandon stokley) were raving about deangelo henderson's performance in camp today. . . they noted that jamaal charles still looks a little ginger making cuts, but that henderson was explosive. . .

Tned
07-28-2017, 02:43 PM
FWIW, the guys on 104.3 (particularly brandon stokley) were raving about deangelo henderson's performance in camp today. . . they noted that jamaal charles still looks a little ginger making cuts, but that henderson was explosive. . .

Isn't he a wide receiver?

dogfish
07-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Isn't he a wide receiver?

nope, that's carlos. . . we drafted two hendersons this year. . . looks like you're still in off-season form, man, we gotta get you up to speed! i guess that's what training camp is for. . .

:laugh:

Tned
07-28-2017, 03:10 PM
nope, that's carlos. . . we drafted two hendersons this year. . . looks like you're still in off-season form, man, we gotta get you up to speed! i guess that's what training camp is for. . .

:laugh:

Are you sure? (said with my Independence Day drunken Randy Quaid voice).

Yes, Carlos, he's a WR, but played RB in college, hence the confusion. Have you been hitting the dogfish in the middle of the day again?

Simple Jaded
07-28-2017, 08:26 PM
Carlos did start college as a RB, iirc, do not stand for this Tned.

Tned
07-28-2017, 08:52 PM
Carlos did start college as a RB, iirc, do not stand for this Tned.

I know, they are screwing with us and trying to tell us there are two Henderson's. Next thing they will claim there are multiple Pekos, Harrises and Thomases. Come on, we know better.

Henderson is a WR with an RB pedigree.

tomjonesrocks
07-29-2017, 05:21 PM

Am firmly in this camp. Unfortunately RB is a position Denver hasn't evaluated well since Shanahan. 4th round or not these slow-developing/underwhelming RBs have become a pattern.

Next man up I guess - hopefully Henderson is a quick impact guy.

Simple Jaded
07-29-2017, 05:56 PM
You get what you pay for with RB's, if you keep shopping in the 4th round you're always going to get Davontae Booker.

Should've traded up to get Mixon/Cook.