PDA

View Full Version : Broncos acquire veteran OL Allen Barbre in trade with Eagles

Denver Native (Carol)
07-26-2017, 06:39 PM
The Broncos on Wednesday acquired veteran offensive lineman Allen Barbre from the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for a conditional seventh-round draft pick in 2019.

The 6-foot-4, 310-pound lineman has played both tackle and guard since he entered the league as a fourth-round pick by Green Bay in 2007.

Barbre, 33, signed with the Eagles in 2013 and inked a three-year extension the following season. In 2015, he started all 16 games at left guard and last year started 12 games, playing primarily left guard and some right tackle.

On Wednesday, the Eagles initially announced they released Barbre but later opted to deal him to Denver.

In an interview with 104.3 The Fan, Barbre said he was on his way to the gym when he got the call from the Eagles informing him he had been traded. He worked out anyway, then headed home to pack his bags and hop on flight for Denver in the evening.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/26/broncos-allen-barbre-trade/

turftoad
07-26-2017, 06:53 PM
O Line depth if he makes the final roster.

BeefStew25
07-26-2017, 08:38 PM
Depth if he makes it.

DenBronx
07-26-2017, 08:46 PM
Well, it will be an extra body for depth if he makes it.

BroncoWave
07-26-2017, 09:03 PM

Depth if he makes it.

I dunno you guys, he might provide some depth if he makes the roster!

Slick
07-26-2017, 09:21 PM
He graded out way higher than Garcia did last year according to what I read on the Mane. He just might end up starting.

Poet
07-26-2017, 09:23 PM
He's going to make it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-26-2017, 09:51 PM
He graded out way higher than Garcia did last year according to what I read on the Mane. He just might end up starting.

That's what I was wondering. The only guy who couldn't really beat out at either the RT or OG spot would be Leary

DenBronx
07-26-2017, 10:13 PM

Depth if he makes it.

I dunno you guys, he might provide some depth if he makes the roster!

You put alot of depth in that reply.

Jsteve01
07-26-2017, 11:12 PM

Just Google his name and Pro Football Focus. He was the 16th ranked guard in the League last year. You figure every team has two guards that ain't too bad.

turftoad
07-26-2017, 11:29 PM
He's going to make it.

If he makes it. :D

Poet
07-26-2017, 11:31 PM
if he makes it. :d

dammit toad!

Timmy!
07-27-2017, 01:55 AM
My sources say he will be good depth or possibly start.

Hawgdriver
07-27-2017, 03:48 AM
My main source (code name timofy) has it on authority that this guy Barbell will be great depth, and might even start.

Shazam!
07-27-2017, 04:58 AM
He will be Starting. Bank on it.

DenBronx
07-27-2017, 07:42 AM
Just read a post from someone with a solid source that said not only will he be good for depth but could possibly even start.

Mike
07-27-2017, 08:15 AM
Final roster if he makes the depths.

BeefStew25
07-27-2017, 09:19 AM

Hell of a point

BroncoWave
07-27-2017, 09:21 AM

Damn, I haven't thought of it that way before. Really good point!

Buff
07-27-2017, 10:36 AM
Should add depth if he makes the roster - and if not we can always move him to safety.

NightTrainLayne
07-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Just read a post from someone with a solid source that said not only will he be good for depth but could possibly even start.

If he makes the team! ;)

Cugel
07-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Just points out that Elway and the coaching staff are by no means satisfied with the shape of the OL and are desperately trying to add depth and give themselves options. This is common sense. Menelik Watson is a good player - if healthy. He's missed 1/2 of his starts over his career.

Over at G Max Garcia looked good at times last year, and at times looked like a little lost lamb in passing sets. Might it not be a good idea to bring in some competition there?

Schofield might not make the team at this point, and if he does he'll have to step up. Do we really want to see him in the lineup? I vote no!

Starting LT is still a pure mystery. Obviously they would like to start Garrett Bolles, and Ty Sambrailo has been alternating with him. Maybe Sambrailo will take a big step up if he can stay healthy. But, Bolles is a rookie and this team is in a SB window with a defense that in 2015 was not just good but historically great - in that elite class of SB Champion winning Defenses along with the '85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens & the 2002 Bucs.

The entire season can't be sidetracked like last year due to poor QB play, and the lack of any running game because the OL is just horrible.

What if Sambrailo either isn't very good or doesn't stay healthy, Bolles struggles as a rookie Garcia is pretty bad again, and Watson goes back on the IR again like he usually does? What then? Well, it might be a great idea to have a guy who can step into the lineup at G and not suck to shore up that side. Then at least you have two really strong G's and with Paradis at C, the middle of the Broncos OL would be stout.

Given the uncertainty at T, adding as many veteran OL as you can for competition at G is a great idea!

BroncoWave
07-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Should add depth if he makes the roster - and if not we can always move him to safety.

Two memes in one post, I like it!

Cugel
07-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post

I heard a rumor that he's in the mix at QB in the event that Trevor and Paxton fail to impress in the pre-season.

Ziggy
07-27-2017, 03:05 PM
I think he's more than depth. He's been a quality starter on a good line for a while. I won't be surprised if he beats Garcia out of the starting spot.

dogfish
07-27-2017, 03:57 PM
I think he's more than depth. He's been a quality starter on a good line for a while. I won't be surprised if he beats Garcia out of the starting spot.

that's what i expect. . . garcia can't tell a line stunt from a hole in the ground. . . barbre is a solid vet who knows what he's doing, and can line up where they need him. . .

FanInAZ
08-02-2017, 04:36 AM
My sources say he will be good depth or possibly start.

Are you still paying the guy you collects all of the used towel after games and practices to give you "insider information?" Serious, if the guy was a good with covert surveillance devices as claims, he'd be working for the NSA or CIA.

Ziggy
08-02-2017, 10:01 AM
After two days of camp, it was fairly obvious that Garcia can run block. His pass blocking is still putrid. Barbre is working in with the second team already. If he gets some first team reps at guard this week, Max may be demoted soon. The problem this creates is that Bolles has to learn the NFL way, a new system, and playing next to a different and unknown entity continually. I hope they move Leary back over to left guard and let Barbre and Garcia compete on the other side.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-02-2017, 11:17 AM
After two days of camp, it was fairly obvious that Garcia can run block. His pass blocking is still putrid. Barbre is working in with the second team already. If he gets some first team reps at guard this week, Max may be demoted soon. The problem this creates is that Bolles has to learn the NFL way, a new system, and playing next to a different and unknown entity continually. I hope they move Leary back over to left guard and let Barbre and Garcia compete on the other side.

Agreed

Poet
08-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Leary has stated he doesn't have a preference as to which guard spot he plays, so that's a plus!

underrated29
08-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Leary has stated he doesn't have a preference as to which guard spot he plays, so that's a plus!

yes it is. However, I just read that Leary said he would prefer to play just the one spot. Meaning he likes the left more and wants to go back there.

Totally unrelated, but I still think Tysam would make a great RG. Once he gets his hands on guys he does well. His problem is he never can on the edge.

Hawgdriver
08-02-2017, 07:51 PM
yes it is. However, I just read that Leary said he would prefer to play just the one spot. Meaning he likes the left more and wants to go back there.

Totally unrelated, but I still think Tysam would make a great RG. Once he gets his hands on guys he does well. His problem is he never can on the edge.

But they haven't given him any looks at G, have they? A lot of speculation that Tysam is out this year.

underrated29
08-02-2017, 09:36 PM
But they haven't given him any looks at G, have they? A lot of speculation that Tysam is out this year.

As far as I know, no. And they know more than I (hard to believe I know), but they have not. I still think his strength ability to pull and his mean demeanor would work well at guard. Watch him get cut and be a great guard somewhere

Simple Jaded
08-03-2017, 12:10 AM
He should try C, cause he's SO athletic.

Cugel
08-03-2017, 10:12 PM

This is the very question that perplexes all observers! Why in the hell is Leary not automatically placed at his normal LEFT G position?

The OL isn't remotely good enough to allow them to just move guys all over the place. It's not automatic that you can just switch a guy from the left side to the right side and expect him to master the new position in less than 1 full season. I just heard one of the Broncos OL say that exact thing on the radio this morning. He said that he was getting used to playing on the right side but that it was a big adjustment. However, fortunately he'd previously switched sides so that he had overcome that particular hurdle in the past.

But switching T's is much worse, because now everything is backwards. Your plant leg is your post leg now and vice versa! So the player who has spent maybe years of constant practice every day having his right leg be his plant leg, the anchor leg, now suddenly has to swich: and that makes him THINK "where do I plant my leg. Oh, yeah."

You have years and years of muscle memory where your stance and movement are completely automatic, now suddenly you have to think about where to put your leg and how to move. Thinking during a play means the DL is past you before you can react.

I honestly don't know how they do it. Try and imagine being a professional golfer and then some coach comes in and completely changes your grip. You're not using the grip you practised for 10,000 hours or more. Now get out there kid because it's the opening round of the Masters and you're up next!

That's actually not going to go well.

Cugel
08-03-2017, 10:16 PM
Oh, and to add depth to the confusion at OL, they are now apparently moving Sambrailo back over to Right T, and Donald Stephenson is now moving over from the right side, and alternating with Bolles at Left Tackle. This from this mornings' practice.

Since Bolles is a total rookie your starting Left Tackle until further notice is Donald Stephenson! I hope they don't line up to start the regular season against San Diego with Donald Stephenson as the LT!

Cugel
08-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Oh, and to add depth to the confusion at OL, they are now apparently moving Sambrailo back over to Right T, and Donald Stephenson is now moving over from the right side, and alternating with Bolles at Left Tackle.

Since Bolles is a total rookie your starting Left Tackle until further notice is Donald Stephenson! I hope they don't line up to start the regular season against San Diego with Donald Stephenson as the LT! I'm saying this as someone who actually watched Donald Stephenson at RT last year and wondered this entire winter why he was still on the team.

dogfish
08-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Oh, and to add depth to the confusion at OL, they are now apparently moving Sambrailo back over to Right T, and Donald Stephenson is now moving over from the right side, and alternating with Bolles at Left Tackle. This from this mornings' practice.

Since Bolles is a total rookie your starting Left Tackle until further notice is Donald Stephenson! I hope they don't line up to start the regular season against San Diego with Donald Stephenson as the LT!

dude, bowles is starting on the left. . .

Poet
08-04-2017, 11:13 AM
dude, bowles is starting on the left. . .

Over Bolles?

dogfish
08-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Over Bolles?

oh, hush. . . they've most likely realized that sambrailo is worthless, and they're trying to determine if stephenson can hack playing swing tackle. . .

Poet
08-04-2017, 11:26 AM
oh, hush. . . they've most likely realized that sambrailo is worthless, and they're trying to determine if stephenson can hack playing swing tackle. . .

Listen here, Mister! You hit me with that correction stuff from time to time! I will not have this! I thought we all knew that Samb was dookie? Stephenson is super dookie. Bolles is getting better, slowly, and he's an actual talent. His starting spot was guaranteed from the day he was drafted, IMO. So we agree. Just hold me, DF. Just hold me.

dogfish
08-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Listen here, Mister! You hit me with that correction stuff from time to time! I will not have this! I thought we all knew that Samb was dookie? Stephenson is super dookie. Bolles is getting better, slowly, and he's an actual talent. His starting spot was guaranteed from the day he was drafted, IMO. So we agree. Just hold me, DF. Just hold me.

we may need that man-beast slim to hold both of us before this is through. . .

i think the line will absolutely be better if we stay healthy. . . but i'm starting to fear that the depth is just as shaky as it was the last couple years. . . if sobrero's shoulder is healed and he's not better than last season, he may be a lost cause-- stephenson is complete dookie, and ty was worse than him last year. . . reports on garcia's progress haven't been all that promising, either. . . i still expect barbre to end up starting at one of the guard spots at some point. . . we're really crossing our fingers that menelik watson can stay healthy. . . it will be huge for us if bolles can at least hold his own enough to stabilize the left tackle spot. . . i'd bet our pro scouts are doing a good bit of due diligence right now on OTs around the league, and whether we could still potentially upgrade that backup spot through a trade, or camp cuts. . .

Poet
08-04-2017, 12:28 PM

i think the line will absolutely be better if we stay healthy. . . but i'm starting to fear that the depth is just as shaky as it was the last couple years. . . if sobrero's shoulder is healed and he's not better than last season, he may be a lost cause-- stephenson is complete dookie, and ty was worse than him last year. . . reports on garcia's progress haven't been all that promising, either. . . i still expect barbre to end up starting at one of the guard spots at some point. . . we're really crossing our fingers that menelik watson can stay healthy. . . it will be huge for us if bolles can at least hold his own enough to stabilize the left tackle spot. . . i'd bet our pro scouts are doing a good bit of due diligence right now on OTs around the league, and whether we could still potentially upgrade that backup spot through a trade, or camp cuts. . .

In a sense of optimism, remember that we have multiple guys who can more around the line, too. That is a sort of hidden depth that can pay dividends.

BroncoWave
08-04-2017, 12:29 PM

The problem is, o-line play is so bad throughout the league right now that it will probably be near impossible to find anything better than what we currently have off of teams' trash heaps. No one is getting rid of any o-lineman who can even kind of play.

Cugel
08-04-2017, 12:35 PM

You mean he used the old football cliche in interviews "I don't really care where they put me. I just want to help the team win." :noidea:

Of course he would prefer to play where he's most familiar. I don't know why they are moving him around to the right side and leaving Garcia at LG. Now they have 2 players who are less than stellar at their positions instead of one.

The Broncos are notorious for moving guys around on the OL and creating more problems than solutions by doing it. They did this most of the last 4 seasons.

Poet
08-04-2017, 12:36 PM
You mean he used the old football cliche in interviews "I don't really care where they put me. I just want to help the team win." :noidea:

Of course he would prefer to play where he's most familiar. I don't know why they are moving him around to the right side and leaving Garcia at LG. Now they have 2 players who are less than stellar at their positions instead of one.

The Broncos are notorious for moving guys around on the OL and creating more problems than solutions by doing it. They did this most of the last 4 seasons.

Leary has played both spots, Watson has played LT and RT, Babre plays all over the play, Garcia can move around, etc. So I meant what I said, and not just about one player, Mr. Cugel.

Cugel
08-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

The problem is, o-line play is so bad throughout the league right now that it will probably be near impossible to find anything better than what we currently have off of teams' trash heaps. No one is getting rid of any o-lineman who can even kind of play.

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post

I'm afraid coach Chaz is right. The Broncos tried to work a deal for Joe Thomas during draft week, but no sale. The attempt was 2 years too late and the Browns have long since moved on and were no longer interested in a deal. There is no help out there now. The Broncos missed out on landing a starting LT in FA. Now they're stuck with either rookie Bolles or *gulp* Donald Stephenson.

So, they are scrambling at a number of positions along the OL. Obviously they want Bolles to start, but he obviously isn't ready - not for a team that expects to make the playoffs. We are now seeing exactly what lots of former NFL players like Mark Schlereth, Tyler Polumbus and others have been saying. IT's just not reasonable to expect Bolles to step in and start and be any good at LT his rookie year. LT is the second most difficult position to learn in football.

So, it's no surprise that he has a lot to learn. Meanwhile, having tried Sambrailo at LT, they switched him back to the right side where he will presumably back up Watson, if he makes the team.

Meanwhile Donald Stephenson is alternating at LT with Bolles. Doesn't take a great amount of tea-leaf reading to see that Stephenson is tentatively your LT starter until Bolles shows that he's ready. Hopefully Bolles makes some big strides between now and the start of the regular season or this could be a long-ass season.

Poet
08-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Bolles is already better than Okung, though. Okung got crushed by every single great pass rusher, is worse against the run, and older. If Okung was the 'answer' we got a better answer.

Cugel
08-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Leary has played both spots, Watson has played LT and RT, Babre plays all over the play, Garcia can move around, etc. So I meant what I said, and not just about one player, Mr. Cugel.

I have to like being called "Mr. Cugel." Sure, these guys have played there before. That doesn't make it any better though. It's still a transition. You're taking players who aren't exactly hall of fame to begin with and then moving them around to positions they might have played sparingly at times before. But, they have a "normal" position, and none of them is great at their "normal" positions to begin with, let alone playing them out of position.

I mean, Leary is a very good LG, but not great. How good will he be playing full time at RG? We don't know. He might not be as good - presumably still better than Max Garcia, or Schofield, but they are taking a pretty good LG and moving him to a position where he might not be as good. I don't know why the hell they are doing that, but so far it's not looking great along the left side of the OL. So, maybe they will ultimately move him back again.

Right now the OL is not doing great at pass-protection, and this is against a defense lacking any pass-rushers outside Von Miller (who for obvious reasons is not seeing a ton of action in the pre-season). Things are not likely to improve when they face Joey Bosa, Kalil Mack or Justin Houston in games that matter.

Cugel
08-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Bolles is already better than Okung, though. Okung got crushed by every single great pass rusher, is worse against the run, and older. If Okung was the 'answer' we got a better answer.

What the hell has Okung got to do with it now? That ship sailed a long time ago. The question is now: "Is either Bolles or Donald Stephenson good enough to keep Trevor Siemian from going on IR again?" So far I'd say the answer is "no." Upgrading what the OL did last year? The question is "by how much?" Because last year they were what, 29th in the league at running the ball? And terrible in pass-protection.

They could improve a lot and still suck and get their QB killed.

Is Bolles a long term answer at LT? We better hope so. But, this team wants to compete for a championship. Which won't happen unless the OL is actually GOOD. Meanwhile they might have to start Donald Stephenson at LT and that won't be pretty. No, not nice at all.

Poet
08-04-2017, 12:53 PM
What the hell has Okung got to do with it now? That ship sailed a long time ago. The question is now: "Is either Bolles or Donald Stephenson good enough to keep Trevor Siemian from going on IR again?" So far I'd say the answer is "no." Upgrading what the OL did last year? The question is "by how much?" Because last year they were what, 29th in the league at running the ball? And terrible in pass-protection.

They could improve a lot and still suck and get their QB killed.

You brought up what Schelreth and others said. They were saying to sign Okung. That's what they said.

Cugel
08-04-2017, 01:08 PM
You brought up what Schelreth and others said. They were saying to sign Okung. That's what they said.

Back in March maybe. But, there were other LTs on the market other than Okung, if they didn't want him. They got nobody, and now it's down to Donald Stephenson or Bolles. If neither of them is good enough then the team just suffers because as Chaz put it, there's no help coming to the rescue. What they have is what they've got on the roster. Conceivably some OL gets cut can they pick him up, but that is usually an ageing veteran who can't play anymore for his original team who gets cut. In short, not really an answer.

Poet
08-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Back in March maybe. But, there were other LTs on the market other than Okung, if they didn't want him. They got nobody, and now it's down to Donald Stephenson or Bolles. If neither of them is good enough then the team just suffers because as Chaz put it, there's no help coming to the rescue. What they have is what they've got on the roster. Conceivably some OL gets cut can they pick him up, but that is usually an ageing veteran who can't play anymore for his original team who gets cut. In short, not really an answer.

They got Bolles, who is doing fine. He's been up and down. Who gives a shit? He's a rookie, he's an upgrade over the LT's we've had since Clady was hurt. It's a fine answer, and an upgrade that's cheap compared to Okung.

Cugel
08-04-2017, 01:59 PM
They got Bolles, who is doing fine. He's been up and down. Who gives a shit? He's a rookie, he's an upgrade over the LT's we've had since Clady was hurt. It's a fine answer, and an upgrade that's cheap compared to Okung.

There's nothing wrong with drafting Bolles for the long term. They needed a long term answer at LT. We don't know any reason to think he won't be successful long term.

It's just for RIGHT NOW that's the problem.

Poet
08-04-2017, 02:06 PM
There's nothing wrong with drafting Bolles for the long term. They needed a long term answer at LT. We don't know any reason to think he won't be successful long term.

It's just for RIGHT NOW that's the problem.

Hes' going to be on par with the LT that we had last year - whom you, and several other talking heads that you cited to, said was good enough. If he's on par with that, by definition, it can't be a problem.

Simple Jaded
08-04-2017, 09:46 PM
Russell Okung sits down to pee.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-04-2017, 09:51 PM
That joke never gets old.

Cugel
08-04-2017, 10:53 PM
Hes' going to be on par with the LT that we had last year - whom you, and several other talking heads that you cited to, said was good enough. If he's on par with that, by definition, it can't be a problem.

Sure it can. If you watched last season you saw crapola. I thought Okung was as good as it was going to get so they might as well keep him. But, so what? He's gone so that's super irrelevant now.

If Bolles continues to suck periodically like he has so far, that's not going to make for a lot of wins this season. And that won't be "no problem" at all.

underrated29
08-05-2017, 12:10 AM
Granted, these pills I'm on mess with my head, but Mr. Cugel, what games have we already played that I have missed. And when in those games did bolles suck so bad?

What I remember seeing with my own eyes was a guy who is really good. He got owned by von a time or two but every LT and RT gets to say that. I did not see any George foster, Michael scofield, tysam in him.

So when did we play that you saw it that I missed.

Bronco4ever
08-05-2017, 12:41 AM
Ryan Clady gave up only a half a sack his rookie season. I'm not sure Bolles could have an All Pro season like that, but he certainly has a chance to have a really solid rookie season.

Ziggy
08-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Bolles will be fine. There may be some growing pains, but watching his feet and athletic ability in camp was encouraging. The Broncos haven't had a tackle with that kind of athletic ability since Clady was healthy. McCoy is also smart enough to help him out when he needs to. I wouldn't read too much into Stephenson alternating first team reps. I think Vance just wants the rookie to clearly beat out every other left tackle candidate on this team so he can say that Bolles wasn't handed the starting job. Stephenson will be the swing tackle, and Sambrailo has a shot at being a surprise cut.

Simple Jaded
08-05-2017, 06:47 PM
But, unfortunately, RT is inarguably more important in the AFCWest with all the strong side pass rushers in this division. And Watson is already missing time with injuries.

Slick
08-05-2017, 08:23 PM
But, unfortunately, RT is inarguably more important in the AFCWest with all the strong side pass rushers in this division. And Watson is already missing time with injuries.

I wasn't happy when they signed Watson. John should have paid more for a better RT earlier in free agency. I know the contracts were crazy but so what.

Simple Jaded
08-05-2017, 10:40 PM
I wasn't happy when they signed Watson. John should have paid more for a better RT earlier in free agency. I know the contracts were crazy but so what.

He's got the talent but so does/did Stephenson, hopefully they can get 16+ solid games out of that combo. That's if they keep Stephenson. Apparently Barbre can play RT, I won't pretend to know but VJ has already (basically) said that he can't play RG.

I'm waiting to see Sampro play, I haven't heard anything good but I don't think we're getting very good coverage.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-05-2017, 11:04 PM
He's got the talent but so does/did Stephenson, hopefully they can get 16+ solid games out of that combo. That's if they keep Stephenson. Apparently Barbre can play RT, I won't pretend to know but VJ has already (basically) said that he can't play RG.

I'm waiting to see Sampro play, I haven't heard anything good but I don't think we're getting very good coverage.

Your sig-

Unless you're expecting Denver to go 0-16 we don't have a chance at Josh Allen.

NightTerror218
08-06-2017, 12:03 AM

Oakland had 1 of the best OL last season and watson was the RT. If he is healthy it is a good signing.

Simple Jaded
08-06-2017, 12:45 AM
Your sig-

Unless you're expecting Denver to go 0-16 we don't have a chance at Josh Allen.

Derwin James.

Arden Key too.

Basically all of them.

That's for you guys, names to keep an eye on.

#amancandreamcanthe?

Slick
08-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Oakland had 1 of the best OL last season and watson was the RT. If he is healthy it is a good signing.

Him being healthy is the big question and that was my problem with the signing.

Cugel
08-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Bolles will be fine. There may be some growing pains, but watching his feet and athletic ability in camp was encouraging. The Broncos haven't had a tackle with that kind of athletic ability since Clady was healthy. McCoy is also smart enough to help him out when he needs to. I wouldn't read too much into Stephenson alternating first team reps. I think Vance just wants the rookie to clearly beat out every other left tackle candidate on this team so he can say that Bolles wasn't handed the starting job. Stephenson will be the swing tackle, and Sambrailo has a shot at being a surprise cut.

That would be an idea scenario. That's what we thought would happen the last 2 seasons and it only got worse. But, of course, this is a new year.

But, I don't think Sambrailo getting cut would be a surprise any more. His career was crippled by injury and now he's just not one of the better players at his position.

Right now there are 7 tackles on the roster from Ourlads (http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DEN):

LT 74 Sambrailo, Ty 15/2 72 Bolles, Garett 17/1 68 Wilkinson, Elijah CF17 70 Lang, Cedrick SF17
RT 71 Stephenson, Donald U/KC 75 Watson, Menelik U/Oak 64 Murray, Justin CF16

Know how many T's they kept on the 53 man roster last season? Three (http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/189/DEN).

LT 73 Okung, Russell U/Den 74 Sambrailo, Ty 15/2
RT 71 Stephenson, Donald U/KC 74 Sambrailo, Ty 15/2

And Murray was on the practice squad. He could go there again, assuming he has eligibility remaining.

So, they had Sambrailo as the swing tackle to backup both Okung and Stephenson, and Schofield who they had moved to G as the backup to the swing T.

By my count, they could keep 4 T's this year because Bolles is a rookie. But, that still mean 3 Ts currently on the roster will have to be cut/traded.

Let's take a look at who they might be? Hmmmmn.

Safe: Bolles obviously. Stephenson has been alternating with the ones. He's your starting LT in case Bolles underachieves or is injured. So, he's safe. Watson is your RT if healthy, so three.

On-The-Bubble: Sambrailo, Wilkinson, Lang.

"It don't take a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." -- Bob Dylan

Cugel
08-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Him being healthy is the big question and that was my problem with the signing.

It beats the hell out of starting Donald Stephenson at RT! Or Sambrailo! :alien:

Blasphemer! Art thou a secret Raiders fanlet in disguise come to troll us with your doubts? It's going to be fine! Watson is going to have the first season of his career where he stays completely healthy and plays 16 games. And I know this because I have a tip from an inside source! :2thumbs: