PDA

View Full Version : Broncos hire Gary Kubiak as scout advisor

VonDoom
07-25-2017, 10:30 AM
KUSA—The Denver Broncos are bringing back Gary Kubiak as a senior personnel executive where he will essentially fill a scouting role, a coaching source told 9News.

The source said Kubiak will be based at his home near Houston, Texas, while occasionally visiting Broncos headquarters for meetings. Kubiak is expected to specialize in evaluating college players for the draft while also contributing as part of NFL free agency efforts.

The hire only makes sense. No one understands the top-end of the Broncos’ football operations department better than Kubiak. He was general manager John Elway’s head coach the previous two years, guiding the Broncos to a combined 21-11 record and a Super Bowl 50 title following the 2015 season.

Kubiak was also previously a head coach for the Houston Texans, where his secondary coach for three seasons was Vance Joseph, the Broncos’ current head coach.

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/broncos-hire-gary-kubiak-as-scout-advisor/459360674

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 7m7 minutes ago

Ian Rapoport Retweeted James Palmer

Kubiak will be involved in scouting the top 100 offensive players, while Tom Heckert will do the top 100 defensive players.

NightTrainLayne
07-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Interesting. I wasn't expecting this at all.

Buff
07-25-2017, 10:42 AM
Just adds to an already bizarre 8 months. It's clear now that he would have liked to continue coaching if he could have continued to do everything his way. But Elway was going to mandate some changes - likely a new OC among other things - and Kubiak decided he'd rather fall on his sword than fire Rico. So we all sat through that super weird exit press conference where we ignored the tension and awkwardness of having a retirement presser for a guy who didn't really want to retire.

I'm happy we found a role for him in the organization - but I wonder if Kubiak is ultimately happy with all of this. I feel like he's kind of being a good soldier and putting the organization first, but have got to believe that deep down he still wants to be the HC.

VonDoom
07-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Just adds to an already bizarre 8 months. It's clear now that he would have liked to continue coaching if he could have continued to do everything his way. But Elway was going to mandate some changes - likely a new OC among other things - and Kubiak decided he'd rather fall on his sword than fire Rico. So we all sat through that super weird exit press conference where we ignored the tension and awkwardness of having a retirement presser for a guy who didn't really want to retire.

I'm happy we found a role for him in the organization - but I wonder if Kubiak is ultimately happy with all of this. I feel like he's kind of being a good soldier and putting the organization first, but have got to believe that deep down he still wants to be the HC.

I hear what you're saying, but I'm thinking kind of the opposite, that this goes against the idea that him and Elway were on opposite sides last year. If he was really "forced" out, why would he come back to scout for this team? I'm sure the Texans would take him back for a similar role, for example.

Buff
07-25-2017, 10:51 AM
I hear what you're saying, but I'm thinking kind of the opposite, that this goes against the idea that him and Elway were on opposite sides last year. If he was really "forced" out, why would he come back to scout for this team? I'm sure the Texans would take him back for a similar role, for example.

I think Kubiak has too much respect for Bowlen, his legacy, Elway, etc. I don't think he was truly "forced" out - I think he came to the decision on his own but was really pained by it and had some external pressures (health, a terrible offense, Elway) that led him to it.

I think that he appreciates the opportunity to still be involved in football - but I've got to think he would prefer to still be HC if it weren't for all those external pressures.

I also think this is Elway's nod to Kub for doing the right thing by the organization.

Joel
07-25-2017, 10:54 AM
B-b-but... what about the irreparable breach between Elway and Kubiak? Y'know, when the GM who flew to Houston and went to Kubiaks house to invite him to coach the Broncos permanently severed their close personal and professional relationship of 33 years because the coach dared FORCE his handpicked final round scrub QB on Elway, leaving his BOSS' handpicked first round QB to go to waste on the bench all year? The one so damaging Elway and Kubiak made up that cockamamie "health" story to hide it (even TIME TRAVELING so Kubiak could fake a collapse during a game and be hospitalized TWO WHOLE YEARS BEFORE RETURNING TO DENVER!)

Yeesh, it's like some of these "news" "sources" don't even READ fan websites.... :rolleyes:

I'd rather Kubiak returned as a part-time QB coaching consultant, since 1) he has a long consistently successful career developing QBs and RBs and 2) of the four QBs on our roster, the "experienced vet" has played 14 games in his two-year career (half have never had a pro snap.) But that might be too big a shadow looming over McCoy his first year back, and maybe Scout Kubiak won't eat, sleep, breathe and micromanage football till it destroys his health. Scouts don't do much traveling or analysis, right? :tongue:

More seriously, that the article says Kubiaks particular "advisory" scouting role will leave him in Houston most of the time, with only the occasional flight to "HQ" rather than to every community college scattered over half a continent, further corroborates the idea that he and Elway really WEREN'T LYING TO OUR FACES (and everyone elses) when they said Kubiak resigned because of his health.

Now back to your regularly scheduled drama llama, already in progress.... ;)

Freyaka
07-25-2017, 10:56 AM

Exactly, if anything this reinforces the "I can't deal with the stress of being a HC and want to find something less demanding while still being involved with football" narrative.

NightTerror218
07-25-2017, 11:00 AM
So much for that rift between elway and kubiak. If there was bad blood kubiak would not join backup.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000821770/article/gary-kubiak-rejoining-broncos-in-scouting-department

Freyaka
07-25-2017, 11:04 AM
So much for that rift between elway and kubiak. If there was bad blood kubiak would not join backup.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000821770/article/gary-kubiak-rejoining-broncos-in-scouting-department

Don't tell Buff, he's still trying to spin it :D

dogfish
07-25-2017, 11:08 AM
i love seeing this. . . i wasn't okay with feeling like gary got shown the door. . . i'm glad that they found a way to keep him with the organization in a less stressful capacity. . .

buff, i don't care if deep down he still wants to be the HC-- no one wants to watch him die on the sidelines. . . this is a better situation for everyone involved. . .

Buff
07-25-2017, 11:10 AM
You idiots aren't even reading what I'm saying...

I think there can be a healthy professional tension without causing a personal rift - nobody who is close to the team every bought into the idea that there was bad blood between the two... I'm not suggesting that. However I don't think Kubiak would have "retired" solely for health reasons either. If that were the case - I'd think he would just retire and quit working. So the truth lies somewhere in the middle for me. He didn't feel up to reinventing himself in the HC role, so Elway made his transition as smooth as possible given the circumstances. They are obviously close friends - but came to a professional impasse I believe.

I just think it remains such a weird and bizarre tale in today's NFL. That's all. I've got love for Kubiak and am happy the organization has a place for him.

Poet
07-25-2017, 11:15 AM
Buff is convincing me.

Buff
07-25-2017, 11:21 AM
i love seeing this. . . i wasn't okay with feeling like gary got shown the door. . . i'm glad that they found a way to keep him with the organization in a less stressful capacity. . .

buff, i don't care if deep down he still wants to be the HC-- no one wants to watch him die on the sidelines. . . this is a better situation for everyone involved. . .

Of course not - but the health narrative was ALSO a convenient way around the idea that Kubiak's offense looked dated and ineffective and wasn't putting players in the best position to succeed. Which doesn't mean that the health thing wasn't ALSO a consideration. They aren't mutually exclusive.

chazoe60
07-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Kubiak belongs here and with his health issues I'm glad he's in a lower leverage spot than HC.

Poet
07-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Of course not - but the health narrative was ALSO a convenient way around the idea that Kubiak's offense looked dated and ineffective and wasn't putting players in the best position to succeed. Which doesn't mean that the health thing wasn't ALSO a consideration. They aren't mutually exclusive.

This outcome is as good as it can be in the weird amalgam scenario that Kubiak and Elway were in, imo.

Buff
07-25-2017, 11:34 AM
This outcome is as good as it can be in the weird amalgam scenario that Kubiak and Elway were in, imo.

Totally... And credit to those guys for taking the high road and not letting their professional disagreements bog down a lifelong friendship. Also credit to Elway for still having the difficult conversations and not just giving Kubiak a pass because he's his guy. It seems to be the best case scenario - assuming Vance Joseph isn't a dumpster fire of a HC.

Tned
07-25-2017, 11:35 AM

Agreed. If they were at odds, they wouldn't have brought him back. Instead, it probably shows that he still wants to have his hand in football, but his health just want hold up to a head coaching position.

Poet
07-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Totally... And credit to those guys for taking the high road and not letting their professional disagreements bog down a lifelong friendship. Also credit to Elway for still having the difficult conversations and not just giving Kubiak a pass because he's his guy. It seems to be the best case scenario - assuming Vance Joseph isn't a dumpster fire of a HC.

This also lets Kubiak work his way back up to snuff in regards to health and hit the refresh button on his coaching. I could see him be a scout for (or get promotions) us or get a coaching job later on down the road.

underrated29
07-25-2017, 11:58 AM
Or we could succumb to occums razor and that Kubes did indeed hang it up for health reasons primarily. However, he still has love for the game and wanted to continue to do so in a much less stressful environment, one that does not require him to leave his home state of texas ever week either.

I think the simplest explanation is more likely. He retired for health reasons first and foremost. He still wants to be a part of football. He now can with no stress and no travel aside from occasional meetings/vacations to denver.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-25-2017, 11:58 AM

Agree. IMO, his retiring had all to do with what happened, not only while at Texas, but also here, in regards to his health. He felt he had to give up all of the long hours, all of the stress that comes with being a HC, etc. I am thrilled he will, once again, be a part of the Broncos.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-25-2017, 12:04 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — When Gary Kubiak announced he was stepping down from his role as the Broncos’ head coach, he vowed he would find another outlet for his dedication.

“I’m getting out of coaching, but I have a lot to give,” said Kubiak at his Jan. 2 retirement press conference. “I’m going to find something else to do and I’m going to wake up with that same passion and do that, just like I’ve coached for the last 20-something years. It’s time for me to step away from the coaching field.”

Just seven months later, Kubiak has found his next endeavor.

Kubiak, who led the Broncos to a Super Bowl 50 win in Feb. 2016, will rejoin the Broncos as a senior personnel advisor.

“It’s an honor for me to continue to be part of this great organization,” Kubiak said. “John [Elway] and I talked long ago about any opportunity like this, and I’m very happy to be able to contribute on the personnel side.

“I said when I left that I still wanted to be involved in football. This gives me an opportunity to be involved with the game, and I’m excited to get to work.”

EVP/GM John Elway, who agreed to a new five-year contract Monday, said Kubiak will be based in Texas but will travel to Denver for "various personnel meetings."

“With as much experience as he has evaluating players, Gary’s going to be a tremendous resource for our personnel department,” Elway said. “He’ll primarily help on the college side and assist us in free agency as well.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Former-head-coach-Gary-Kubiak-rejoins-Broncos-as-senior-personnel-advisor/0bceb901-e680-4986-ab86-a52651e30110

Poet
07-25-2017, 12:05 PM
Or we could succumb to occums razor and that Kubes did indeed hang it up for health reasons primarily. However, he still has love for the game and wanted to continue to do so in a much less stressful environment, one that does not require him to leave his home state of texas ever week either.

I think the simplest explanation is more likely. He retired for health reasons first and foremost. He still wants to be a part of football. He now can with no stress and no travel aside from occasional meetings/vacations to denver.

Except the simplest explanation is that he was having issues as a HC and he and his boss gracefully found a way to part amicably. A lot of coaches 'leave for health reasons' just to come back. The simplest explanation has to use all of the facts, UR.

Buff wins. ;)

underrated29
07-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Except the simplest explanation is that he was having issues as a HC and he and his boss gracefully found a way to part amicably. A lot of coaches 'leave for health reasons' just to come back. The simplest explanation has to use all of the facts, UR.

Buff wins. ;)

Buff can win.

But retiring from coaching, one in which he has had 2 separate hospital visits is much more likely, than Elway gracefully finding a way to fire his friend and not hurt any feelings while also leaving everything so amicably that he would bring him back without hestitation 7 months later.

I think you chose the wrong stance here.

Rick
07-25-2017, 01:24 PM
Ya I am not seeing the Kubiak quit because of mandates thing in this at ALL.

I think this strengthens the narrative that has always been reported, Kubiak stepped away for health.

I still have never heard any major insider report the supposed riff.

slim
07-25-2017, 01:26 PM
Buff, you are overthinking it.

Timmy!
07-25-2017, 01:30 PM

I'm in this camp. Notice he basically gets to stay home in Houston a lot. That make sense if his health really was a major factor. Happy to have him back with the organization.

Buff
07-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Buff, you are overthinking it.

It's a nicer story if Kubiak sails off into the sunset due to health issues - I think we all just want to believe that nice clean narrative.

The reality is just slightly more complicated where he didn't want to overhaul his offense and his offensive coaching staff in the midst of also being his age and having health issues - and he is a man of such high integrity that he saw the right thing to do was to step aside.

Clearly health was an issue - but if health was the only issue then he doesn't talk about how he's not retiring and looking for his next challenge at his exit press conference.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 32s

Best part of Kubiak returning? Silences conspiracy theorists who insisted there was a falling out w Elway. Never was case @DenverChannel

slim
07-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 32s

Best part of Kubiak returning? Silences conspiracy theorists who insisted there was a falling out w Elway. Never was case @DenverChannel

It hasn't silenced Buff!

Buff
07-25-2017, 01:36 PM
It hasn't silenced Buff!

I am an imperfect messenger because I'm so insufferable.

My only point is that if Kubiak had the #1 offense in the league last year he'd still be our head coach. Reasonable folks can disagree.

slim
07-25-2017, 01:37 PM
It's a nicer story if Kubiak sails off into the sunset due to health issues - I think we all just want to believe that nice clean narrative.

The reality is just slightly more complicated where he didn't want to overhaul his offense and his offensive coaching staff in the midst of also being his age and having health issues - and he is a man of such high integrity that he saw the right thing to do was to step aside.

Clearly health was an issue - but if health was the only issue then he doesn't talk about how he's not retiring and looking for his next challenge at his exit press conference.

Agree to disagree. It was obvious when he had health issues that he was going to have to step down as HC (in fact I said so when it happened). There was no other possible outcome.

BroncoJoe
07-25-2017, 01:39 PM
I am an imperfect messenger because I'm so insufferable.

My only point is that if Kubiak had the #1 offense in the league last year he'd still be our head coach. Reasonable folks can disagree.

Well, if your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle. Or, maybe he preferred to be a woman.

I'm not sure what I'm saying here.

Poet
07-25-2017, 01:42 PM
Buff: Working relationships that also are friendship and brotherhood relationships are more complicated than just 'everything is good or bad'.

Everyone else: NOPE!

;)

Poet
07-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Buff can win.

But retiring from coaching, one in which he has had 2 separate hospital visits is much more likely, than Elway gracefully finding a way to fire his friend and not hurt any feelings while also leaving everything so amicably that he would bring him back without hestitation 7 months later.

I think you chose the wrong stance here.

It's just a graceful parting of ways. I don't think either men had planned on a departure - I think they talked their way through it.

No one is assuming there was a massive riff or schism.

Simple Jaded
07-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Ok now I'm saying it, We're Screwed!

Hopefully this isn't a personnel decision appointment, cause his eye for talent sucks.

Good for Kubes, though, love me some Kube.

VonDoom
07-25-2017, 03:46 PM
Ok now I'm saying it, We're Screwed!

Hopefully this isn't a personnel decision appointment, cause his eye for talent sucks.

Good for Kubes, though, love me some Kube.

Kinda getting mixed signals here ...

Simple Jaded
07-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Kinda getting mixed signals here ...

I <3 Kube and I'm glad for him, but he sucks as a personnel evaluator.

I'm a complicated man, VonDoom.

BroncoJoe
07-25-2017, 04:00 PM
I <3 Kube and I'm glad for him, but he sucks as a personnel evaluator.

I'm a complicated man, VonDoom.

Nah. You're just Jaded.

Simple Jaded
07-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Nah. You're just Jaded.

Jaded af.

Joel
07-25-2017, 05:01 PM
Except the simplest explanation is that he was having issues as a HC and he and his boss gracefully found a way to part amicably. A lot of coaches 'leave for health reasons' just to come back.
How many of them collapse during a game twice in four years, ending up hospitalized both times? If you believe the "official" story (read: Conspiracy) Lombardi also retired for "health reasons" too (i.e. he was dying of cancer,) but everyone knows he was really FORCED out because he only won 7 games his final season. ;)

Kubiak drives himself mercilessly, and we can (and should) all be very grateful that was a big part of winning ALL THREE of the franchises Championships. But he was in his mid-thirties when we won the first one: Now he's in his mid-fifties, and a lot of stuff you can physically shrug off in your thirties becomes dangerous in your fifties—especially if you've BEEN doing it since your twenties, or teens; that adds up after a few decades, too. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, folks.

BroncoWave
07-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Y'all overthink this shit too much.

underrated29
07-25-2017, 05:14 PM
It's just a graceful parting of ways. I don't think either men had planned on a departure - I think they talked their way through it.

No one is assuming there was a massive riff or schism.

I am not in disagreement with this. My contention is the primary reason why and the dispelling of the rumors about the rift between them.
I believe this was part of the equation. I believe Health was the bigger and primary factor in that equation. Which naturally dispels the whole rift thingy.

dogfish
07-25-2017, 05:19 PM

i agree that they aren't mutually exclusive. . . not sure about this, however. . .

remember that he also had a stroke in houston, and the man has a family. . . would john have given up on his friend so quickly? i didn't want to believe so, and this is one of the reasons that GK coming back makes me feel better about the situation. . . i will always feel a little bad for gary about the way he went out. . . yes, in a difficult season, he failed to get the most out of our offense. . . it was also an offense built completely out of spare parts outside of the two starting wideouts. . . kubes' offense in baltimore two years back was one of the best in the league, and he didn't have elite playmakers there either. . . i feel like he kinda fell on the sword for the rest of the guys last year-- the bill came due for that super bowl defense, and guys like barone and rico failed hard, but GK is the guy who's had to shoulder the lion's share of the blame. . . i understand that it's part of the responsibility that comes along with the top chair, but it just hasn't sat right with me. . . gary has been a big part of all three of our championships-- he's meant too much to this organization to see him slink off in disgrace just because he couldn't coax greatness out of a banged up trevor siemian in his first year starting. . . this is a much better situation, and i don't see why gary would have come back if he didn't feel good about it. . . he certainly would have had other solid opportunities. . .

It hasn't silenced Buff!

he's a monster. . .

Slick
07-25-2017, 06:02 PM
I was more disappointed about Wade leaving than what happened to Gary.

Wade won the Superbowl for Denver as far as I'm concerned. Beating the snot out of Brady and Newton was glorious.

tomjonesrocks
07-25-2017, 06:12 PM
Pleased to read this. The idea there was a rift (promoted by DMac, etc.) seemed like such a bummer.

Feel oddly and overly happy to read this.

Hawgdriver
07-25-2017, 06:29 PM

The simplest explanation for me is that Kube's health was the main factor in his departure, but it was cemented by discussions that something had to change on offense. It explains his health episodes, the presser, this job, and the fumigation of the offensive staff this offseason.

Buff
07-25-2017, 07:19 PM
The simplest explanation for me is that Kube's health was the main factor in his departure, but it was cemented by discussions that something had to change on offense. It explains his health episodes, the presser, this job, and the fumigation of the offensive staff this offseason.

Right - I just come back to the idea that if the offense is firing on all cylinders, he's got a longtime #2 in Dennison who in theory should have been in a position to take on more of the burden - I think he finds a way to finish out his 4 year contract... But he was faced with overhauling the offense and the offensive staff, which combined with his health issues I think made the decision easier for him.

Simple Jaded
07-25-2017, 07:31 PM
I doubt Dennison comes back as any kind of OC and I firmly believe Barone is flat out fired, and it's apparent Wade Phillips was on his way out. I think that, along with health, was why Kubiak decided to walk away.

VonDoom
07-25-2017, 09:14 PM
Y'all overthink this shit too much.

I believe this thread is currently about twice as long as the thread about Elway's new contract. That's how we roll around here.

VonDoom
07-25-2017, 09:15 PM
I doubt Dennison comes back as any kind of OC and I firmly believe Barone is flat out fired, and it's apparent Wade Phillips was on his way out. I think that, along with health, was why Kubiak decided to walk away.

I'm so curious how Dennison does in Buffalo, his first time away from Kubiak.

dogfish
07-25-2017, 09:16 PM
I believe this thread is currently about twice as long as the thread about Elway's new contract. That's how we roll around here.

in fairness, what's to discuss about elway's contract? we all say "awesome," and move on. . .

also, please! BTB is the king of arguing pointless shit for pages. . . ironic posts are ironic. . .

VonDoom
07-25-2017, 09:18 PM
in fairness, what's to discuss about elway's contract? we all say "awesome," and move on. . .

I know, that was kind of my point. Positivity is great but there's usually not much to say. The debate about conspiracy theories is much more interesting (generally, not just here)

Simple Jaded
07-25-2017, 09:23 PM

Me too, hope he kills it because he doesn't have a single OLman that fits the mold of the ones he coached back in the Shanatan era. I need him to kill it with Cordy Glenn.

Cugel
07-26-2017, 12:13 PM

He's had 2 cardiac incidents in the last few years. He needed to retire, but yes, you are totally right. He didn't want to fire Clancey Barone or Rico, or any of the coaches Elway fired and preferred to step down. But, he's probably not done with football and this allows him to participate in a non-stressful way.

He could wind up back in coaching in a year or two. Those coaches are insanely driven and don't know what to do with themselves in retirement.

Cugel
07-26-2017, 12:17 PM

Well, he probably won't be invisible and have zero impact, so that will be a big step up. Rico wasn't even running the offense really. Kubiak did that pretty much himself and it was a disaster. A car wreck. An offense that is supposed to emphasize running the ball first and they couldn't convert 3rd and 1.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-31-2017, 11:22 PM
He's had 2 cardiac incidents in the last few years. He needed to retire, but yes, you are totally right. He didn't want to fire Clancey Barone or Rico, or any of the coaches Elway fired and preferred to step down. But, he's probably not done with football and this allows him to participate in a non-stressful way.

He could wind up back in coaching in a year or two. Those coaches are insanely driven and don't know what to do with themselves in retirement.

Hopefully scouting will help fill that void for him. It's not like scouts have bankers hours.