PDA

View Full Version : #7 will be here for another 5 years -- MERGED

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 5m

Broncos and John Elway have agreed to a new 5-year contract that ties him to Denver through the 2021 season, source tells ESPN.

VonDoom
07-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 4m4 minutes ago

Broncos and John Elway have agreed to a new 5-year contract that ties him to Denver through the 2021 season, source tells ESPN.

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 34s35 seconds ago

#Broncos Elway deal agreed to. Could be as long as 5 years. Developing story. Obviously good news to get done before camp @DenverChannel

Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer now12 seconds ago

Elway's negotiation was a big one in the NFL. Why? Others in the scouting community have been hoping he'd change the market for GMs.

VonDoom
07-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Beat me by seconds! Mods - merge?

BroncoWave
07-24-2017, 03:57 PM
Yeeeeeeessssssssss!!! It seems almost sure to happen, but it's a relief to have it official.

Buff
07-24-2017, 03:59 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/social_assets/nfl/Week_2/Broncos_Falcons/VonMiller_sackDance.gif

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 30m

No figures yet on John Elway's new 5-year contract with Broncos, but it is fully expected to make him NFL's highest paid GM.

Northman
07-24-2017, 04:50 PM
Love it.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2017, 04:51 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – John Elway has said repeatedly he hopes to be in Denver a long time.That hope is now a reality.

Elway and the Broncos agreed to a new five-year contract Monday that will keep Elway in Denver through at least 2021, President and CEO Joe Ellis announced.

“We’re pleased to reach an agreement on a five-year contract with John to continue leading our football operations,” Ellis said. “During these last six seasons, John’s clearly established himself as one of the best general managers in all of sports. He’s demonstrated impressive football instincts, a strong business acumen and a consistent ability to build competitive teams.

“There’s no doubt John means a great deal to the Broncos, our fans and the entire community. It was important for us to reach this long-term agreement, and we’re all excited to now turn our full attention toward the 2017 season.”

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/President-and-CEO-Joe-Ellis-announces-GM-John-Elways-new-five-year-contract/c896519a-a804-4050-acfc-563f1822c031

BroncoJoe
07-24-2017, 04:53 PM
http://49.media.tumblr.com/e0a4c1c5b7f7a8d695dafa05117724e1/tumblr_miq3t7hqkT1renuivo1_500.gif

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2017, 05:08 PM
The Broncos officially announced the signing of John Elway to a new five-year contract through 2021.

“We’re pleased to reach an agreement on a five-year contract with John to continue leading our football operations,” president and CEO Joe Ellis said, via the team press release. “During these last six seasons, John’s clearly established himself as one of the best general managers in all of sports. He’s demonstrated impressive football instincts, a strong business acumen and a consistent ability to build competitive teams.

“There’s no doubt John means a great deal to the Broncos, our fans and the entire community. It was important for us to reach this long-term agreement, and we’re all excited to now turn our full attention toward the 2017 season.”

Elway, entering his seventh season as the Broncos’ executive vice president of football operations/General Manager, has overseen a team that has the second-most overall wins (73) in the NFL since 2011. Denver has five AFC West titles and two Super Bowl appearances in that span.

The Broncos say that Elway ranks as the only GM in the NFL in the past six years to acquire future Pro Bowl players through the NFL Draft, street free agency, unrestricted free agency and college free agency.

Elway, who has made Denver home since a 16-year Hall of Fame career with the Broncos, never was leaving. But both sides appear happy to have a long-term deal in place.

“I appreciate the trust and confidence that Joe has shown in me,” Elway said. “[Owner] Pat Bowlen has always put outstanding leadership in place, and I’m grateful for the support Joe gives us to compete for championships each and every year.

“This is a special place, and the Broncos are home to me. While there’s still a lot of work to be done, I’m excited about the future of this team and this organization.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/24/john-elway-this-is-a-special-place-and-the-broncos-are-home-to-me/

Tned
07-24-2017, 05:38 PM
Have they said if it's guaranteed for performance or just injury?

Cugel
07-24-2017, 05:42 PM
This is critically important for reasons few will state. With Pat Bowlen disabled, and no new family member chosen to replace him, there is a void of leadership at the very top. Having John Elway as the undisputed head of football operations is vital since it brings stability to the organization in a time of transition within the Bowlen family where nobody is really in charge in the way that Pat was in charge.

Anybody who's even been in business knows "if you nobody's really in charge, then the organization cannot succeed." Period.

MOtorboat
07-24-2017, 05:51 PM
So is this the 5-year plan to ownership partner? Make that happen.

Poet
07-24-2017, 06:09 PM
This news makes me feel joyous.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2017, 06:12 PM
This is critically important for reasons few will state. With Pat Bowlen disabled, and no new family member chosen to replace him, there is a void of leadership at the very top. Having John Elway as the undisputed head of football operations is vital since it brings stability to the organization in a time of transition within the Bowlen family where nobody is really in charge in the way that Pat was in charge.

Anybody who's even been in business knows "if you nobody's really in charge, then the organization cannot succeed." Period.

Joe Ellis has been taking on Pat's role.

Tned
07-24-2017, 07:11 PM
Joe Ellis has been taking on Pat's role.

Exactly. As important as Elway is to the football operations, Joe Ellis is the one making the business decisions, including whether or not to extend Elway's contract. He and the other two trustees will be tasked with putting one of the Bowlen children in charge of the team, or if one doesn't step up soon enough, be forced by the NFL to sell the team (I hope that doesn't happen).

Elway does nothing to fill the void left by Mr. Bowlen's illness.

dogfish
07-24-2017, 07:51 PM
yuge!!

Magnificent Seven
07-24-2017, 10:31 PM
Elway Era continues! :salute:

ShaneFalco
07-25-2017, 03:18 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/zDUt8OgKLqA0g/giphy.gif

Simple Jaded
07-25-2017, 03:37 AM
Shit, Ellis was the only reason I worried.

chazoe60
07-25-2017, 06:34 AM
I never understood why people were panicking about this, it was bound to happen eventually.

MasterShake
07-25-2017, 07:52 AM
I never understood why people were panicking about this, it was bound to happen eventually.

Yeah they kept trying to make it a thing on sports talk but you never heard about any reports of Elway being pissed off at the organization or vice-versa. I just figured it would be done before training camp or near the beginning of it. I don't think I could handle the local sports media between the QB competition and Elway not having his deal signed at the same time. Still glad to hear the news though.

Joel
07-25-2017, 10:59 AM
Have they said if it's guaranteed for performance or just injury?
I'm happy as long as it doesn't cost us picks. :)

BeefStew25
07-25-2017, 02:32 PM
The drama. Who really thought this wasn't going to get worked out? Bowlens condition probably didn't get worse. Thus the new contract.

Simple Jaded
07-25-2017, 03:06 PM
I'm happy as long as it doesn't cost us picks. :)

But what if it means they can't afford that FA OLman that will be out of the league in a matter of months?

Joel
07-25-2017, 05:04 PM
But what if it means they can't afford that FA OLman that will be out of the league in a matter of months?
Tons of current Broncos linemen will be out of the league in a few months: Just give that dude the salary Schofield or Sambrailo aren't earning.

Or, Joseph's probably making less than Kubiak, so give the new lineman the difference and we'll still get under the Team Exec Salary Cap, while upgrading our line AND coach: That's a win-win, as these things were explained to me.

Simple Jaded
07-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Tons of current Broncos linemen will be out of the league in a few months: Just give that dude the salary Schofield or Sambrailo aren't earning.

Or, Joseph's probably making less than Kubiak, so give the new lineman the difference and we'll still get under the Team Exec Salary Cap, while upgrading our line AND coach: That's a win-win, as these things were explained to me.

Kubiak is scouting OL now, God help us!

Denver Native (Carol)
07-26-2017, 06:43 PM
Five more years, more money and a new title.

In addition to signing John Elway to a five-year contract this week, the Broncos also promoted him to president of football operations/general manager, a bump up from executive vice president of football operations/GM.

Elway retains full autonomy over the team’s football decisions. But his new title, Broncos president/CEO Joe Ellis said Wednesday, better reflects his value to the team.

“We’re football first here at the Broncos and obviously John is our leader of the team,” Ellis said. “I think he is definitely deserving of this title elevation. It’s really a recognition that he deserves for all that he does and all that he has done for this team over the years since he arrived here in 1984.”

rest - plus Ellis video from today
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/26/john-elway-broncos-promotion/