PDA

View Full Version : Best Athlete Ever

MOtorboat
07-21-2017, 02:29 PM
Not most accomplished, best physical specimen.

Go.

BroncoJoe
07-21-2017, 02:32 PM
BroncoJoe. Hands down.

Tned
07-21-2017, 02:33 PM
In his day, maybe Bo Jackson.

Poet
07-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Mike Vick, Randy Moss, Jim Brown, Jim Thorpe, Willie Mays, LBJ, Phelps, Sugar Ray Robinson, Ali, Elway, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Elway.

MOtorboat
07-21-2017, 02:35 PM
BroncoJoe. Hands down.

I'm gonna need some proof.

MOtorboat
07-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Mike Vick, Randy Moss, Jim Brown, Jim Thorpe, Willie Mays, LBJ, Phelps, Sugar Ray Robinson, Ali, Elway, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Elway.

Michael Johnson?

Poet
07-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Michael Johnson?

Steroids

slim
07-21-2017, 02:37 PM
BroncoJoe. Hands down.

Meh, he's got nothing on BroncoAlex!

Bo Jackson.

Poet
07-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Jesse Owens. Before the Roids I'd have said Brock Lesnar.

Valar Morghulis
07-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Cody latimer

Poet
07-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Cody latimer

:mad:

chazoe60
07-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Bo Jackson.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Bo Jackson

Also ran:
John Elway
Calvin Johnson
Deion Sanders
Champ Bailey
Michael Jordan
Jesse Owens (yes, I got this idea from you king)

Poet
07-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Bo Jackson ran fast and trucked people. He was bad at baseball and frail. Intrinsically frail.

Doctor J should be on the list, too.

Tned
07-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Bo Jackson ran fast and trucked people. He was bad at baseball and frail. Intrinsically frail.

Spoken like someone that was too young to have watched him.

Jackson was not bad at baseball. He wasn't a high average hitter, but he was a power speed threat with an elite arm. As to frail, he suffered a serious hip injury.

Your shaky analysis aside, reread the OPs question. I think you missed his very specific instructions.

MOtorboat
07-21-2017, 03:15 PM
My answer is Bo Jackson.

Tned
07-21-2017, 03:22 PM
My answer is Bo Jackson.

After BroncoJoe, who of course is hands down the greatest ever, Mo Knows Bo is the next best to Joe....

MOtorboat
07-21-2017, 03:29 PM
After BroncoJoe, who of course is hands down the greatest ever, Mo Knows Bo is the next best to Joe....

BroncoRico.

Slick
07-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Bo Jackson.

underrated29
07-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Jaramir Jagr
Vernon Davis
Leanard Fournette
Jamarcus Russell
Spud Webb

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-21-2017, 04:20 PM
Jaramir Jagr
Vernon Davis
Leanard Fournette
Jamarcus Russell
Spud Webb

Be gone with you sir!

BroncoWave
07-21-2017, 04:25 PM
All trolling from the other thread aside, I'm also on the Bo Jackson train. He legitimately could have had a hall of fame career in two different major sports had he not gotten injured. Dude was a freak.

Honorable mention I'll go with:

LeBron
Deion Sanders
Usain Bolt
Mike Vick
Barry Bonds
Randy Moss

I'm sure there are a ton I'm missing but those were the ones who popped into my head.

BroncoWave
07-21-2017, 04:29 PM
Also, shame on no one for including LeBron on their lists until I got into this thread. As purely a physical specimen, which is what this thread asked for, there are very few athletes in sports history who can hold a candle to him.

Poet
07-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Jackson had great speed, and he was quite strong. Yet aside from one year as RB, maybe two, his abilities never really manifested. OP is talking about just ability, and I get that. However, part of one's ability is to be able to actually...do it. And his body, the same body that let him run a 4.1 at 230 pounds, was the same one that was flawed heavily by his bad hip. He was a ticking time bomb. I don't think the two can be divorced, but if someone would, joking aside from the prior thread, I wouldn't fault them.

I'm going to say Elway, Jesse Owens, or Vick.

Poet
Also, shame on no one for including LeBron on their lists until I got into this thread. As purely a physical specimen, which is what this thread asked for, there are very few athletes in sports history who can hold a candle to him.

I said LBJ before you, bro. Shame on you.

Slick
Yes, LeBron is up there no doubt.

BroncoWave
07-21-2017, 04:31 PM
I said LBJ before you, bro. Shame on you.

Dammit. Well then I will just yell at you for not formatting your list as a column. Ain't nobody trying to read a long list of names like that!

Poet
07-21-2017, 04:34 PM
Dammit. Well then I will just yell at you for not formatting your list as a column. Ain't nobody trying to read a long list of names like that!

The column is still a list, though, and while you said "like that," I'm interpreting it as not the literal version. If it is the literal version, then I declare the list of names was given in a readable fashion, and your formatting issue is not as important as your lack of thorough reading!

#civilstylewar
#stoptheviolence

Slick
07-21-2017, 04:48 PM
Wayne Gretzky?

Poet
07-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Wayne Gretzky?

Should be on the list - he's the most skilled hockey player ever right?

Slick
07-21-2017, 04:51 PM

Yes. He was in the top 3 when ESPN did their list. Skating is hard enough let alone playing the game so I have a lot of respect for those guys.

BroncoWave
07-21-2017, 04:53 PM
I never watched Gretzky play so I don't know enough about him to know if he's actually an insane physical specimen, or just really skilled at hockey. MJ, for example, retired as the greatest basketball player ever, but there were other players who purely from a physical specimen perspective, had him beat.

NightTrainLayne
07-21-2017, 05:03 PM
It's gotta be Jim Thorpe. Dude was superhuman.

BroncoJoe
07-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Joe knows Bo.

Bo Jackson. No doubt about it. As someone mentioned, He'd be a HOF'er in the NFL had he not got injured, and was a pretty damn good baseball player*.

*need MO's input here, because MO knows Baseball.

Tned
07-21-2017, 05:09 PM
Jackson had great speed, and he was quite strong. Yet aside from one year as RB, maybe two, his abilities never really manifested. OP is talking about just ability, and I get that. However, part of one's ability is to be able to actually...do it. And his body, the same body that let him run a 4.1 at 230 pounds, was the same one that was flawed heavily by his bad hip. He was a ticking time bomb. I don't think the two can be divorced, but if someone would, joking aside from the prior thread, I wouldn't fault them.

:confused:

MOtorboat
07-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Joe knows Bo.

Bo Jackson. No doubt about it. As someone mentioned, He'd be a HOF'er in the NFL had he not got injured, and was a pretty damn good baseball player*.

*need MO's input here, because MO knows Baseball.

Let's say he focused on baseball, played from age 23-40 full time, so he got the full 600 PA per year that a 17-year baseball vet would get, he was on pace to hit 550 home runs. I think he could have hit 600. His batting average went up every year, I'd say he's a .270 hitter/550 HR type makeup. Here are those players in MLB history: Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Alex Rodriguez, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey, Jim Thome, Sammy Sosa, Albert Pujols, Frank Robinson, Rafael Palmeiro and Manny Ramirez.

Poet
07-21-2017, 05:29 PM
He wasn't getting those numbers - the hip. le sigh. LE SIGH!

MOtorboat
07-21-2017, 05:32 PM

Correct. He did not achieve those numbers, but I did not intend for this to be about numbers or achievements. He was that type of hitter, as well as being a top 10 fielder with the best arm in baseball for five seasons. He also was the most explosive running back in the NFL at the same time.

He was, for a very short time albeit, one of the greatest athletes to ever live.

underrated29
07-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Wayne Gretzky?

negative.

He is the best hockey player. Largely the best sports player. His records will never be broken. But as MO said we are talking specimens. He is not one. Jaramir Jagr is. Huge. Super strong. Really fast. Did I say super strong. He is also like 45 years old and is still kicking ass in the NHL to this day. He is an elite physical specimen and is one of the most athletic people I have ever seen. He is really good at hockey too but just all around fitness this guy is a god.

MOtorboat
07-21-2017, 05:54 PM
negative.

He is the best hockey player. Largely the best sports player. His records will never be broken. But as MO said we are talking specimens. He is not one. Jaramir Jagr is. Huge. Super strong. Really fast. Did I say super strong. He is also like 45 years old and is still kicking ass in the NHL to this day. He is an elite physical specimen and is one of the most athletic people I have ever seen. He is really good at hockey too but just all around fitness this guy is a god.

I'm curious what you think about if he had played basketball instead of hockey. I understand he's only 6-3, but do you think he would have the athleticism to play point guard in the NBA. Is he that type of specimen?

(This also assumes he trains all of his life to be a basketball player)

Tned
07-21-2017, 06:02 PM

King, aka, Tin Cup -- when you go down, you go down in flames.

I'll give you credit, once you dig your heels in on something, no matter how far afield it is, you stick to your guns to the end.

Next up, we'll be learnt about how water is dry and today is Tuesday... ;)

The mere fact that you referred to him as frail just shows you are clueless about him.

Of those old enough to watch him play, he's been nearly universal hailed in this thread (and I'm sure in lots of other threads, articles, books and who knows what else) as one of the greatest athletes to ever grace a sport.

He had a freak accident destroy his hip, which resulted in the need for a hip replacement, and he still played a couple seasons and hit something like 30-40 home runs.

Tned
07-21-2017, 06:06 PM
I'm curious what you think about if he had played basketball instead of hockey. I understand he's only 6-3, but do you think he would have the athleticism to play point guard in the NBA. Is he that type of specimen?

Huge Gretzky fan. Only got to see him live one time playing my Islanders in Nassau Coliseum. It was like watching Ichabod Crane on ice. He looked like the least athletic person on the ice, but made everyone else look like they were some kids playing hockey on a pond. I'm not sure I could call him a great athlete and certainly not one of the greatest (I would probably put Mario Lemuix or Jamir Jagr above him in pure athleticism), but there is not doubt he was the greatest hockey player of his generation. I marvel to watch.

Hawgdriver
07-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Not most accomplished, best physical specimen.

Go.

Herschel Walker.

Tned
07-21-2017, 06:25 PM
Herschel Walker.

Pfft, a journeyman that bounced around to four different teams and only had a 1,000 yards twice. Not to mention he couldn't hit a curve ball.

BroncoWave
07-21-2017, 06:38 PM
Huge Gretzky fan. Only got to see him live one time playing my Islanders in Nassau Coliseum. It was like watching Ichabod Crane on ice. He looked like the least athletic person on the ice, but made everyone else look like they were some kids playing hockey on a pond. I'm not sure I could call him a great athlete and certainly not one of the greatest (I would probably put Mario Lemuix or Jamir Jagr above him in pure athleticism), but there is not doubt he was the greatest hockey player of his generation. I marvel to watch.

Same deal with MJ. Greatest basketball player ever (albiet debatably now), but as a physical freak he's not in the league of guys like Bo, LeBron, etc.

Tned
07-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Same deal with MJ. Greatest basketball player ever (albiet debatably now), but as a physical freak he's not in the league of guys like Bo, LeBron, Hillis, etc.

Yea, really good point. I completely forgot about Hillis. You're right for putting him in the Bo and Lebron group.

Simple Jaded
07-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Bo Jackson.

BroncoWave
07-21-2017, 06:41 PM

Vick vs Elway is an interesting comparison. As a pure athlete, I think I'd have to go with Vick though. Similar arm to Elway (Elway probably gets the nod there), but his speed to go along with that arm puts him on a different planet. I would be interested to see what Vick's career would have looked like if he didn't have that chunk taken out right in the middle of his athletic prime.

BroncoWave
07-21-2017, 06:42 PM
Yea, really good point. I completely forgot about Hillis. You're right for putting him in the Bo and Lebron group.

:lol: Ok that made me legitimately laugh.

Hawgdriver
07-21-2017, 06:42 PM
Pfft, a journeyman that bounced around to four different teams and only had a 1,000 yards twice. Not to mention he couldn't hit a curve ball.

He was a better track and field athlete than Bo. Faster, stronger.

BroncoWave
07-21-2017, 06:45 PM
Giannis Antetokoumnpo might be a guy that we'll have to put on this list at some point as well. He might be the second most freakish athlete in the NBA right now behind LeBron.

Tned
07-21-2017, 06:49 PM
:lol: Ok that made me legitimately laugh.

I figured it would!! :laugh: You dang, McD lovin fool! ;)

Poet
07-21-2017, 06:55 PM
King, aka, Tin Cup -- when you go down, you go down in flames.

I'll give you credit, once you dig your heels in on something, no matter how far afield it is, you stick to your guns to the end.

Next up, we'll be learnt about how water is dry and today is Tuesday... ;)

The mere fact that you referred to him as frail just shows you are clueless about him.

Of those old enough to watch him play, he's been nearly universal hailed in this thread (and I'm sure in lots of other threads, articles, books and who knows what else) as one of the greatest athletes to ever grace a sport.

He had a freak accident destroy his hip, which resulted in the need for a hip replacement, and he still played a couple seasons and hit something like 30-40 home runs.

http://deadspin.com/could-modern-medicine-have-saved-bo-jacksons-career-1443105382

Bo's transcendent career was cut short in January 1991, when an awkward but unremarkable-looking tackle injured his hip, leading to a hip replacement and his retirement. The injury is often described as a dislocation which, unsurprisingly, oversimplifies the medical facts. So let's look a little deeper.

The first thing to understand is that a lot of things went into Bo's injury. The hip dislocation itself is what happened on the field, but it isn't what forced Jackson into retirement. That would be a bone disease called avascular necrosis (AVN), which happens when blood supply to the bone is disrupted, as it was with Jackson.

I'm not clueless about him. At least I knew what his health was, and as you pointed out, I didn't even watch him play.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great athlete. I'm saying that the same physical body that made him great came with a degenerative issue, one so severe that they're not sure modern medicine could help him today (per the rest of the article). So the argument that I'm making is that I can't divorce that issue from his as an athlete - and we're talking about what his body could do, per the OP. The OP, disagrees with me, but hasn't dismissed my argument, just disagreed with it.

So, on logical ground, I stand just fine.

I'm going to ask you to stop taking potshots at me. I don't take them at you. Our history has rendered it to the point where I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt. If you can't adhere to that, your choice, but I'll just put you on ignore.

Hawgdriver
07-21-2017, 06:59 PM
Bo is a fine choice, but he was overhyped.

If anyone comes back at me with, "but Techmobowl," I'll concede.

Simple Jaded
07-21-2017, 06:59 PM
Hershel Walker was stiff as a board, fast/strong, that's about it.

Also, I'd be interested evidence that suggests he's a better physical specimen than Bo Jackson, something tangible...like arm length and/or 3-cone...banging Josh McDaniels wife. Something worthwhile and notable.

Poet
07-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Bo is a fine choice, but he was overhyped.

If anyone comes back at me with, "but Techmobowl," I'll concede.

Techmobowl is being invoked.

Tned
07-21-2017, 07:02 PM
I'll just put you on ignore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk16glWoMCk

underrated29
07-21-2017, 07:18 PM
Wayne Gretzky?

Assuming he'd trained his whole life I think he would have been pretty good but not NBA level good, no. Not imo.

Wayne had the ability to see the ice like no one else. He also had such sick hands and he could deke players while skating at top speed. His shot was also very good and accurate. I do not think imo in his prime, and having practiced bball his whole life, that he would be able to hang with current nba players.

The great one imo (and I could be off on his athleticism) was a technician. He could see plays develop before they did. He knew angles and how to exploit them. He always said he would skate to where the puck would end up, not where it is. Being able to forsee where it will end up is remarkable. It separates good from greats. Also, and not to take away from him, but the game has changed so much since then. Goalies are much much much much much x 1000000000000 better than they were when he was playing. Other players were not as good either. It is one of the reasons why his records will never be broken. The rest of the world has caught up to his level of play. He was still better than them but not to the degree now. If he was to come out now as an 18 year old kid. Hed probably be like Mcdavid and be a phenom, but not the all time, best player with records that are better than like 2nd, 3rd and 4th combined.

Hawgdriver
07-21-2017, 07:21 PM
Hershel Walker was stiff as a board, fast/strong, that's about it. Also, I'd be interested proof that's he's a better physical specimen than Bo Jackson, something tangible...like arm length and/or 3-cone.

100 meter, 10.23 (HW) vs. 10.44 (BJ). Both were pretty big dudes when they ran it. Herschel at 225 and idk about Bo, he was a freshman then, but ran the famous 4.12(h) at 227 pounds. Walker was gold medal Olympics sprinting material, Jackson was a world-class sprinter.

http://www.flotrack.org/article/9569-track-and-the-nfl-who-s-the-fastest-ever

Hawgdriver
07-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Techmobowl is being invoked.

I concede. But Walker deserves mention.

Hawgdriver
07-21-2017, 07:24 PM
Assuming he'd trained his whole life I think he would have been pretty good but not NBA level good, no. Not imo.

Wayne had the ability to see the ice like no one else. He also had such sick hands and he could deke players while skating at top speed. His shot was also very good and accurate. I do not think imo in his prime, and having practiced bball his whole life, that he would be able to hang with current nba players.

The great one imo (and I could be off on his athleticism) was a technician. He could see plays develop before they did. He knew angles and how to exploit them. He always said he would skate to where the puck would end up, not where it is. Being able to forsee where it will end up is remarkable. It separates good from greats. Also, and not to take away from him, but the game has changed so much since then. Goalies are much much much much much x 1000000000000 better than they were when he was playing. Other players were not as good either. It is one of the reasons why his records will never be broken. The rest of the world has caught up to his level of play. He was still better than them but not to the degree now. If he was to come out now as an 18 year old kid. Hed probably be like Mcdavid and be a phenom, but not the all time, best player with records that are better than like 2nd, 3rd and 4th combined.

If you go with the coordination aspect of athletics, I'd lean toward Gretzky. Physical specimen, I'd pick Walker. Overall, Bo's case is pretty strong.

Simple Jaded
07-21-2017, 07:35 PM
100 meter, 10.23 (HW) vs. 10.44 (BJ). Both were pretty big dudes when they ran it. Herschel at 225 and idk about Bo, he was a freshman then, but ran the famous 4.12(h) at 227 pounds. Walker was gold medal Olympics sprinting material, Jackson was a world-class sprinter.

http://www.flotrack.org/article/9569-track-and-the-nfl-who-s-the-fastest-ever

Arm length?

Tned
07-21-2017, 07:46 PM
I concede. But Walker deserves mention.

The Cowboys won Super Bowls due to Walker, that says something about what he was.

NightTrainLayne
07-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Correct. He did not achieve those numbers, but I did not intend for this to be about numbers or achievements. He was that type of hitter, as well as being a top 10 fielder with the best arm in baseball for five seasons. He also was the most explosive running back in the NFL at the same time.

He was, for a very short time albeit, one of the greatest athletes to ever live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB9wi_zvMdM

Way back I used to watch all the Royals games. I remember watching this game.

NightTrainLayne
07-21-2017, 09:34 PM
There's not many bigger Bo Jackson fans than I.

And yet: Jim Thorpe.

NightTrainLayne
07-21-2017, 09:38 PM
A nice piece from the Smithsonian on Thorpe:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/why-are-jim-thorpes-olympic-records-still-not-recognized-130986336/

MOtorboat
07-21-2017, 09:39 PM
How do you slow down?

https://youtu.be/Lk3l_L-VJ3w

Poet
07-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Surprised his hip didn't implode.

NightTrainLayne
07-21-2017, 09:54 PM
How do you slow down?

https://youtu.be/Lk3l_L-VJ3w

I remember that one too.

Back in the day in rural Western Kansas we only had a few channels. Royals baseball was one of those few options.

Simple Jaded
07-22-2017, 12:10 AM
Surprised his hip didn't implode.

Paxton Lynch sits down to pee.

aberdien
07-22-2017, 12:17 AM
Adrian Peterson

Poet
07-22-2017, 12:23 AM
Paxton Lynch sits down to pee.

Only because your mom's face is comfortable.

Simple Jaded
07-22-2017, 12:33 AM
Only because your mom's face is comfortable.

Ok...damn...dude...just...damn.

Dayum.

Poet
07-22-2017, 12:36 AM
Ok...damn...dude...just...damn.

Dayum.

I blacked out. What happened?

Simple Jaded
07-22-2017, 02:09 AM
I blacked out. What happened?

You monster.

Dapper Dan
07-23-2017, 09:44 PM
Champ Bailey. If given the chance, he could have played safety.

Simple Jaded
08-19-2017, 08:13 PM
WooPp3UVCp8

Best athlete ever, huh?

MOtorboat
08-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Somebody was watching NFLN.

Simple Jaded
08-19-2017, 08:33 PM
Somebody was watching NFLN.

Yep. Took longer to find this thread than the YouTube of that play.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-19-2017, 08:46 PM
That was impressive. I'm referring to Adam V, not Jaded's opportunism.

Dapper Dan
08-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Holy shit.

dogfish
09-23-2017, 01:08 AM
hoes is a dirtbag?

dogfish
09-23-2017, 01:09 AM
negative.

eff jagr. . . peter forsberg FTMFW!

#Prototype

dogfish
09-23-2017, 01:13 AM
and y'all crazy on jordan. . . dude might have been a solid pro golfer if he'd wanted. . . not to mention being one of the most explosive guys to ever play in a league of physical freaks. . . i would also add wilt the stilt. . .

and for just pure specimens, probably reggie white, JJ watt, and sean taylor. . .

Dapper Dan
09-23-2017, 02:00 AM
eff jagr. . . peter forsberg FTMFW!

#Prototype

I like Filip Forsberg.