PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Players on "the Bubble"

FanInAZ
07-17-2017, 05:04 PM
I decided to start this thread when I came across this article on Facebook:

5 Broncos veterans on the roster bubble

The Denver Broncos will open training camp in less than two weeks.

Though much of the focus on camp this year will be on the quarterback competition — and rightfully so —t here will be plenty of compelling storylines to go around.

Much of those will center around which players will make the final 53-man roster and which ones will be left looking for a new team. With the NFL making the decision to eliminate the early cut deadline from 90 players to 75 players this year, fans will see just one mass roster cut instead — from 90 down to 53.

Like all teams, the Broncos will have several experienced veterans fighting for their professional lives. Waiting in the wings are several young, hungry players just waiting for their chance.

Here, I have identified five players who will have to perform well this summer in order to stick around for at least another season.

http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/17/5-broncos-veterans-on-the-roster-bubble/

Although I don't want to chain this thread down with too narrow of a topic, I was wondering which "bubble players" might make a meaningful contribution to another team's roster if we did cut them. Not just getting signed to be at the bottom of the depth chart to be used in case of injuries, but actually contribute to their new teams success or failure. Here's my thoughts on the 5 listed in this article:

Cody Latimer, Wide Receiver: I can see GMs & HCs wondering if he just needs a team that's a better fit for him & putting him at the bottom of their depth chart to see how he works out, but he'll have to work hard to earn his playing time.

Michael Schofield, Offensive Lineman: He might have to wait by the phone a few weeks before a team calls him to come and replace someone they just put on IR.

Todd Davis, Linebacker: This article projects him to be a starter when camp begins. If we have that much depth at LB, any LB we do kick to the curb should get serious consideration for quality playing time from someone.

Lorenzo Doss, Cornerback: Might have the best chance for the most playing time for another team if we cut him. He could be someone's nickelback.

Jamaal Charles, Running Back: If we cut him, the next contract that he signs will be his last, a 1 day so he can retire as a Chief.

BroncoWave
07-17-2017, 05:06 PM
I would like to see Charles and Doss make the team. The rest I could take them or leave them.

FanInAZ
07-17-2017, 05:28 PM
For me, it depend on whether Charles making the team has more to do with the skills he still has or how bad the other RBs on our roster are.

Hawgdriver
07-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Are any of those five actually on the bubble?

FanInAZ
07-17-2017, 05:39 PM

USA Today thinks so.

Cugel
07-17-2017, 07:59 PM

Most of them? Not really.

Cody Latimer for instance. His problems are not a lack of talent. Just in terms of pure athleticism he's perhaps the most gifted one on one WR on a roster that includes D.T. But, that immense talent that had the team taking him in the 2nd round with great expectations hasn't translated onto the field. At all.

Supposedly the problem is that he hasn't really mastered the playbook because of a lack of intensity in his practicing and studying. Until this year. Now we hear that he's changed his life, gotten more serious and is determined to succeed in ways he just wasn't earlier in his career. Well, that's actually understandable, but is it too late? All his career he was able to succeed by being much more athletic than his opponents - until he reached the NFL that is.

He's either going to take a huge step into being the kind of WR they expected out of college, or he's gone. I don't think he has a chance to make the team just based on his outstanding Special Teams play again.

Jamaal Charles. Unless he gets injured during the off-season he's making the team. He's going to have to prove in training camp that he's still 100% healthy, but assuming he is, then the team is NOT going to play him a lot in the preseason. Why wear him down and run risks with injury when it's beyond obvious that Charles will be able to fit into the system without much effort? They will save him for the regular season, which means he's almost certainly making the opening day roster.

Todd Davis: This makes the least sense of all these picks. Davis is the #1 starter as of now. He might be bumped by Corey Nelson or Zaire Anderson, but he's not going to be cut! Why would they get rid of a player who would immediately make the starting lineup for about 1/2 the teams in the NFL and would be a valuable backup on almost all of them?

Simple Jaded
07-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Davis would be on the bubble of any team that valued ILB at all, the Broncos apparently are not one of those teams. Hard to argue.

Honestly, if there were any depth whatsoever behind Davis he'd be a STer-only, Anderson is a scrub and Nelson (while much better than Davis, imo) is just a backup level talent.

I don't get Davis, he's not actually good.

"Yeah but he never missed a tackle in his life"

Yeah. Yeah. Blah. Blah. Burp. Fart.

Poet
07-17-2017, 09:36 PM
I decided to start this thread when I came across this article on Facebook:

Although I don't want to chain this thread down with too narrow of a topic, I was wondering which "bubble players" might make a meaningful contribution to another team's roster if we did cut them. Not just getting signed to be at the bottom of the depth chart to be used in case of injuries, but actually contribute to their new teams success or failure. Here's my thoughts on the 5 listed in this article:

Cody Latimer, Wide Receiver: I can see GMs & HCs wondering if he just needs a team that's a better fit for him & putting him at the bottom of their depth chart to see how he works out, but he'll have to work hard to earn his playing time.

Michael Schofield, Offensive Lineman: He might have to wait by the phone a few weeks before a team calls him to come and replace someone they just put on IR.

Todd Davis, Linebacker: This article projects him to be a starter when camp begins. If we have that much depth at LB, any LB we do kick to the curb should get serious consideration for quality playing time from someone.

Lorenzo Doss, Cornerback: Might have the best chance for the most playing time for another team if we cut him. He could be someone's nickelback.

Jamaal Charles, Running Back: If we cut him, the next contract that he signs will be his last, a 1 day so he can retire as a Chief.

Latimer can kick rocks. He's rarely even flashed ability.

Todd Davis is a special teamer and a bad starter, unfortunately. I wish he was better because the guy's style is impeccable.

Doss is going to stick, IMO. He's got some talent.

Charles is going to stick. He's still got the talent, and our lack of RB depth of talented players is not the best. Even if Booker does get better, Charles still is the guy who fills Anderson's all around game the best.

Mike
07-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Latimer is a good ST player. He may not contribute as a receiver, but he made nice plays last year on ST.

BeefStew25
07-18-2017, 09:27 AM
hopefully the bubble screen is on the bubble

Shazam!
07-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Schofield is doomed imo

Joel
07-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Todd Davis: This makes the least sense of all these picks. Davis is the #1 starter as of now. He might be bumped by Corey Nelson or Zaire Anderson, but he's not going to be cut! Why would they get rid of a player who would immediately make the starting lineup for about 1/2 the teams in the NFL and would be a valuable backup on almost all of them?
Is Brandon Marshall hurt again? Because that's pretty much the only way Davis or any of our other scrub ILBs will be our #1 starter. If we didn't play a 3-4 none of them would start AT ALL. As it is they don't stay on the field long unless the bad guys run game is consistently gashing us for 5+ yds on 1st down; all three of our top CBs excel both on the edge and inside, while Davis, Nelson and the rest are equally "versatile" at SUCKING, so no DC in his right mind will keep Roby on the bench just for what Davis brings to the table (i.e. a glorified safety role that Roby plays much better anyway.) Speaking of CBs...

I gotta think Kayvon Websters big payday dramatically improved not only Doss' chance of remaining on the roster, but getting significant playing time. We get away with making guys like Davis and Nelson "starters" because they only nominally qualify since we spend so much time in nickel and dime packages to deal with the pro arena league, and Websters departure probably makes Doss our "starting" dimeback unless someone else really steps up a lot.

Simple Jaded
07-18-2017, 05:02 PM
There's two #1 ILB starting spots, Joel.

Btw, Webster's "big payday" was a whopping 2 years $8 M, can't believe they didn't give him his #36 jersey number...disgraceful.

Joel
07-19-2017, 08:27 AM
There's two #1 ILB starting spots, Joel.
Can't have a pair of #1 ILBs: "In the end, there can be only one." Same way we have two starting WRs (usually three,) but Sanders is undeniably #2. The main difference is our #2 WR doesn't suck so bad he spends half the game on the bench because any of multiple TEs do his job better and their own FAR better. Marshall's our "#1 and only" ILB; if we ran a 4-3 he'd start while Davis joined Nelson on the bench, precisely as each does when we go to nickel coverage.

Thank God and Elway our #3 CB is (much) better than our #2 ILB, not only in sideline to sideline coverage, but sideline to sideline run stopping

Btw, Webster's "big payday" was a whopping 2 years $8 M, can't believe they didn't give him his #36 jersey number...disgraceful.
For a career dimeback and STer, that's good money. Pity we couldn't match, because we'll need him in a year or two (if we don't now, but I won't get back into that. ;))

slim
07-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Paxton has a nice bubble.

Poet
07-19-2017, 01:48 PM
Paxton has a nice bubble.

He's the future.

underrated29
07-19-2017, 02:14 PM
none of those.

Is doss still on the team? THought we cut him for the bengals player. Or was that Taureen Nixon? I think it was Doss wasnt it. Doss is gone.

----------------------

If I had to guess id say:

Virgil Green and Jared Crick

As for other guys who arent necessarily vets/starters...Ferentz, Fowler, Rookie RB, Doss/nixon (whichever is still here), I could see Shaq Barrett being traded. Maybe to a team like Baltimore for that Maxx williams guy who was supposed to be a baller TE but is always hurt. They need pass rush and we LOVE ourselves some hurt players, especially TEs.

Charles is going to light it up this year. I know it. Have to see him in camp to know for sure for sure, but I bet anything he does. I am targetting him in FF in all leagues, assuming I like what I see in camp and with our OL.

slim
07-19-2017, 04:25 PM
none of those.

Is doss still on the team? THought we cut him for the bengals player. Or was that Taureen Nixon? I think it was Doss wasnt it. Doss is gone.

----------------------

As for other guys who arent necessarily vets/starters...Ferentz, Fowler, Rookie RB, Doss/nixon (whichever is still here), I could see Shaq Barrett being traded. Maybe to a team like Baltimore for that Maxx williams guy who was supposed to be a baller TE but is always hurt. They need pass rush and we LOVE ourselves some hurt players, especially TEs.

Charles is going to light it up this year. I know it. Have to see him in camp to know for sure for sure, but I bet anything he does. I am targetting him in FF in all leagues, assuming I like what I see in camp and with our OL.

No, it was Nixon.

Get it together, UR

NightTerror218
07-19-2017, 05:05 PM
Some an article that andwrson could be trade bait with the amount of RBs we have and his salary. Just gossip but interesting.

BroncoJoe
07-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Some an article that andwrson could be trade bait with the amount of RBs we have and his salary. Just gossip but interesting.

Don't get me wrong, because I love the kid. It wouldn't make me upset if he got traded or was simply waived. We way overpaid for him based on his production and time on the field.

Simple Jaded
07-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, because I love the kid. It wouldn't make me upset if he got traded or was simply waived. We way overpaid for him based on his production and time on the field.
Agreed.

He's one of my favorites when he's on the field.

Simple Jaded
07-19-2017, 10:02 PM
none of those.

----------------------

He's gone, that boy dead.

I dream of trading Barrett for Sheldon Richardson or David Irving (so we can count them out).

NightTerror218
07-19-2017, 10:43 PM
Juwuan thompson
Anderson or charles ( only 1 will make team tc Will determine)
Crick
Norwood
Sambrailo
Lattimer
Green

Simple Jaded
07-19-2017, 10:49 PM
Juwuan thompson
Crick
Norwood
Sambrailo
Lattimer
Green

Norwood wasn't resigned, thank God.

underrated29
07-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Juwuan thompson
Crick
Norwood
Sambrailo
Lattimer
Green

Not a chance CJ and Charles dont make the roster. Same with Sambrailo. Hes the starting LT right now. Norwood is already gone. Thompson is def gone. Green IMO is gone too. I hope crick is gone. Latimer makes it I bet as numero 4. We see things pretty close

Freyaka
07-20-2017, 11:50 AM
hopefully the bubble screen is on the bubble

Don't hold your breath. This is McCoy we're talking about after all.

FanInAZ
07-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Charles dont make the roster.

He most certainly can miss the cut if his performance has deteriorated too much due to injury.

underrated29
07-20-2017, 01:44 PM
He most certainly can miss the cut if his performance has deteriorated too much due to injury.

It wont be.
I need to see him in pre-season/tc but I bet anything he is our full time starter by week 5 (even though they say they want to limit him and keep him fresh). His performance will drop CJ and book down the depth chart. We just need the line to work. Thats it! IF the line works we be fvcking!

Freyaka
07-20-2017, 02:32 PM
It wont be.
I need to see him in pre-season/tc but I bet anything he is our full time starter by week 5 (even though they say they want to limit him and keep him fresh). His performance will drop CJ and book down the depth chart. We just need the line to work. Thats it! IF the line works we be fvcking!

I don't know for sure man. Have you seen recent pictures of his knees? Some jacked up looking knees for sure.

NightTerror218
07-24-2017, 02:17 PM
Not a chance CJ and Charles dont make the roster. Same with Sambrailo. Hes the starting LT right now. Norwood is already gone. Thompson is def gone. Green IMO is gone too. I hope crick is gone. Latimer makes it I bet as numero 4. We see things pretty close

We have 2 RB drafted in last 2 years. Both almost guarenteed to make it. Cj is ofyen injured amd charles coming off major injury. Cj could be major trade bait if charles is looking great.

No chances bolles is not starting at LT. Players are raving including von.

Sunshine makes it over lattimer plus our 2 new draft picks who are return aces.

underrated29
07-24-2017, 02:22 PM
i bet latimer is #4 wr

FanInAZ
07-24-2017, 02:53 PM
We have 2 RB drafted in last 2 years. Both almost guarenteed to make it. Cj is ofyen injured... Cj could be major trade bait if charles is looking great.

Nobody is going to trade for CJ because of his injuries. Its very likely that another team would take a chance on him if we do cut him, but no one is going to trade for him.

NightTerror218
07-25-2017, 12:03 AM
Nobody is going to trade for CJ because of his injuries. Its very likely that another team would take a chance on him if we do cut him, but no one is going to trade for him.

Several teams went after him as a RFA. We matched Miami's big offer. He would have a market if elway went that route. He would not be cut.

Simple Jaded
07-25-2017, 03:39 AM
Should trade CJ to Dallas, he should be getting hurt just about the time Elliott's 2-4 game suspension is over.

#DavidIrving

sneakers
07-25-2017, 04:28 AM
Schofield is still on the team? He is the worst tackle I have seen in ages.

Simple Jaded
07-25-2017, 03:49 PM

They moved him to G where he was the 2nd worst G on the team.

Cugel
07-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Latimer is a good ST player. He may not contribute as a receiver, but he made nice plays last year on ST.

Personally, I thought Latimer was just garbage, except on STs where he developed into an ace. But, supposedly his problem is that he's never really mentally developed understanding of the game. Normal veteran WRs hear the play call, know their route and what adjustments they have to make. They don't have to think about "what do I do on this play?" That allows them to play "fast". When the QB comes to the line, and changes the play, the WR then adjusts on the fly.

Latimer would be THINKING about what he had to do on the play so he was SLOW to adapt. Slow to get off the line, etc. Great in practice, invisible on game day for that reason.

But, starting next week he has a chance to prove that his new found attitude and determination to grow up and become a real professional has paid off and he can translate his knowledge onto the field. We'll see.

He has just phenomenal athleticism - in practice - and could easily be a #1 WR somewhere if he could ever figure it out.

If not, then he's an easy cut to predict. They just added 2 rookie WRs, so they will make the team year one barring just massive sucking (like former Broncos 1st round pick Marcus Nash). Throw in DT & Sanders that makes 4. The team will carry 5 or 6 WRs, so everybody else is fighting for 2 spots. And there are a lot of guys.

Cugel
07-26-2017, 11:49 AM

Schofield sucked as a starter. But, he's really cheap, and he plays multiple positions, and he always does what he's asked. He's the kind of player the fans want to see GONE, yet somehow he sticks around because the coaches find use for him as a utility backup.

Michael Schofield signed a 4 year, $2,777,200 contract with the Denver Broncos, including a $521,200 signing bonus, $521,200 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $694,300. In 2017, Schofield will earn a base salary of $1,797,000, while carrying a cap hit of $1,927,300 and a dead cap value of $130,300.

That's still cheap by NFL standards.

Cugel
07-26-2017, 11:58 AM
CJ Anderson? Well, he's earning $3million this season, but next year he's not earning his $4 Million unless he plays 16 games and plays great or close to it.

As for Jamal Charles, can he even stay healthy for a season? If so, can he regain his form in the way he couldn't the last 2 years?

If the answers to these questions are "yes" then he could wind up being the #1 RB just due to amazing talent. If not he could be cut and out of the league. He's an oft injured 30 years old+ RB and those players don't have a great history of coming back from serious and repeated knee injury.

Personally, I'd love to see Charles brutalizing the Chiefs on game day and the Chiefs fans booing him.