PDA

View Full Version : Broncos center Matt Paradis medically cleared to resume football activity

Denver Native (Carol)
07-05-2017, 05:59 PM
DENVER - Offseason medical news doesn’t always have to be a downer.

After missing the offseason to recover from surgeries on each hip, Denver Broncos center Matt Paradis has been medically cleared and is expected to participate in most on-field activity when training camp commences later this month.

Did Paradis ever wonder about how double-hip surgery would affect his career?

“I never was that worried,’’ Paradis said in a phone interview Wednesday with 9News. “I might have been worried about quality. And that’s something we’re still going to have to work out. But man, they’re feeling great. I guess I never realized how much pain I was in previously and now it’s like, “You mean I’m not supposed to be in pain all day, every day?’’

rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-center-matt-paradis-medically-cleared-to-resume-football-activity/454438365

GEM
07-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Thank heavens!

Simple Jaded
07-06-2017, 10:52 PM
Yay!

:golfclap:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-06-2017, 11:32 PM
Yay!

:golfclap:

What's our alternative, a guy who would not only miss his assignment, but flub the snap too?

Simple Jaded
07-07-2017, 12:25 AM
What's our alternative, a guy who would not only miss his assignment, but flub the snap too?

Buy low sell high, that's all I'm saying.

I love Boise.

Shazam!
07-07-2017, 09:45 AM
Hopefully he will blossom into Nalen II.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Buy low sell high, that's all I'm saying.

I love Boise.

Boulder is a Rocky Mountain dream

Buff
07-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Here is my concern - he is already undersized, he already gives up a ton of strength to his opponents and his game is based on speed and leverage - and now he has 2 new hips this offseason. I just think we're being overly optimistic to assume he's going to slide seamlessly back into his prior production.

Davii
07-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Here is my concern - he is already undersized, he already gives up a ton of strength to his opponents and his game is based on speed and leverage - and now he has 2 new hips this offseason. I just think we're being overly optimistic to assume he's going to slide seamlessly back into his prior production.

I don't think so. The man was playing in pain, constantly. His physical abilities SHOULD BE greater at this point in time than at the same time last year, probably at the same time in any of the past few years. There is no reason to believe that this would cause him to regress. Were he playing at 100% and had an injury I would agree with you, but he was at, let's say 65% and he's now at 80%.

BroncoWave
07-07-2017, 02:04 PM

Nice take Mr Positivity. :D

BroncoJoe
07-07-2017, 02:06 PM
I guess I missed the story where he got both hips replaced.

Buff. :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
07-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Broncos center Matt Paradis has been medically cleared after undergoing surgery on both hips earlier this year, putting him well ahead of schedule in his recovery. 9News first reported Paradis’ impending return.

Paradis played every snap of every game the last two seasons, but was held out of the majority of practices late last year because of the pain in his hips.

His agent, Brian McLaughlin, said the problem has been known since Paradis’ college days at Boise State, and was even brought up by a few teams ahead of the NFL draft in 2014, when the Broncos selected him in the sixth round.

At the conclusion of last season, Paradis headed to Vail to first have his right hip arthroscopically repaired by Dr. Marc Philippon of The Steadman Clinic. A month later, he returned to have the same procedure done on his left hip.

The goal then was to simply to have him physically ready by the start of the regular season. But now he is expected to practice — though likely not in full initially — when Broncos training camp begins July 27.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/05/matt-paradis-medically-cleared-broncos/

Buff
07-07-2017, 03:35 PM
I guess I missed the story where he got both hips replaced.

Buff. :tsk:

Yeah I think I confused him with my grandma there for a minute talking about new hips... But the point stands - I worry that a guy who relies on his agility and leverage is coming off double hip surgery and we're thin at the position.

Valar Morghulis
07-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Max Garcia for center

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Max Garcia for center

See post #4

Simple Jaded
07-07-2017, 11:58 PM
Boulder is a Rocky Mountain dream

For Boulderites.

Cugel
07-08-2017, 07:07 PM
It is a concern because normally players who have double hip surgery struggle coming back 100%, especially season 1. But, he wasn't missing time, he was playing despite injuries so debilitating that he couldn't really practice during the week.

One of the reasons the OL sucked so bad last year was that their leader - Paradis - couldn't practice with the team during the week.

There's almost no way he gets worse after having his hips surgically repaired. He's basically free from pain for the first time in years. In the end that's much better than letting it just fester.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2017, 01:03 AM
Not practicing and still starting was bullshit, having Ferentz be the backup was even bigger bullshtness. If Paradis can't practice this season he needs to sit, we're not talking about irreplaceable here.

Traveler
07-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Connor McGovern for Center!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-10-2017, 04:50 PM

Et tu?

Davii
07-10-2017, 07:44 PM

Davii for assistant line coach! I don't know Jack shit about the technique, but I can motivate them and get them to put forth their best!

Lol

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Davii for assistant line coach! I don't know Jack shit about the technique, but I can motivate them and get them to put forth their best!

Lol

You could also threaten to shoot the guy who grades the lowest.

Davii
07-10-2017, 08:32 PM

I thought that was a given.

Jsteve01
07-10-2017, 10:59 PM
Not practicing and still starting was bullshit, having Ferentz be the backup was even bigger bullshtness. If Paradis can't practice this season he needs to sit, we're not talking about irreplaceable here. not Irreplaceable but ranked out as a top five Center both of the past two years. That's pretty good.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-10-2017, 11:15 PM
I thought that was a given.

Forgive me, I have a tendency to state the obvious.

FanInAZ
07-10-2017, 11:25 PM

Why put them out of their misery too soon? Have them do triple the number of wind sprints 1st, then shoot them.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Why put them out of their misery too soon? Have them do triple the number of wind sprints 1st, then shoot them.

A true marksman can shoot to injure without causing fatality. I consider Davii to be amongst this special breed.

He'd start by taking an ear off, or a toe.

Davii
07-11-2017, 01:13 PM
A true marksman can shoot to injure without causing fatality. I consider Davii to be amongst this special breed.

He'd start by taking an ear off, or a toe.

Maybe start by giving them a nice clean shave?

FanInAZ
07-11-2017, 02:37 PM

I know your in the military, but I don't recall you ever saying what you do. I know SR was a Air Force mechanic, and I remember someone writing about Top being at D-day, but what is the non-classified version of what you do to defend your country?

Davii
07-11-2017, 02:40 PM
I know your in the military, but I don't recall you ever saying what you do. I know SR was a Air Force mechanic, and I remember someone writing about Top being at D-day, but what is the non-classified version of what you do to defend your country?

To sum it up easily, Communications.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-11-2017, 03:34 PM

Indeed

LawDog
07-11-2017, 07:29 PM
To sum it up easily, Communications.

Shit-talker?

Valar Morghulis
07-12-2017, 05:33 AM
To sum it up easily, Communications. I helped trial the interoperability of our two nations crypto over vhf prior to Iraq

BroncoWave
07-12-2017, 06:18 AM
Not practicing and still starting was bullshit, having Ferentz be the backup was even bigger bullshtness. If Paradis can't practice this season he needs to sit, we're not talking about irreplaceable here.

Not one of your better takes man. He was rated as our best o-lineman last season. If that means he can't practice to be able to play, then so be it. That would be stupid to hamstring your roster because a guy can't practice.

Valar Morghulis
07-12-2017, 06:47 AM
Not one of your better takes man. He was rated as our best o-lineman last season. If that means he can't practice to be able to play, then so be it. That would be stupid to hamstring your roster because a guy can't practice.

I'm with jaded.... An individual means nothing, average players that have gelled as a team is better than one above average player and four others with no chemistry

Valar Morghulis
07-12-2017, 06:50 AM
I helped trial the interoperability of our two nations crypto over vhf prior to Iraq

To put this in context... You know in the movies when a big drug deal goes down and the kingpin brings along a disease riddled addict to try the product....i was the disease riddled addict to the boffins making our kit talk to each other

BroncoWave
07-12-2017, 07:18 AM
I'm with jaded.... An individual means nothing, average players that have gelled as a team is better than one above average player and four others with no chemistry

I hate to pull this card, but I'm going to trust the coaches to know what's better for the team in that case. I don't think they'd be putting Paradis out there if it was hurting the cohesion of the line.

Davii
07-12-2017, 07:28 AM
Shit-talker?

Boom.

I helped trial the interoperability of our two nations crypto over vhf prior to Iraq

As in between different radio sets? All of our gear SHOULD work together if using the same crypto, timing, frequencies, etc. I think you all also have the same Harris radio sets we do, IIRC you just call them different names than we do. Every time I've been on an op with you all, whether here in the states or forward deployed, we all used NATO crypto and had very minimal issues.

Valar Morghulis
07-12-2017, 07:34 AM
Boom. As in between different radio sets? All of our gear SHOULD work together if using the same crypto, timing, frequencies, etc. I think you all also have the same Harris radio sets we do, IIRC you just call them different names than we do. Every time I've been on an op with you all, whether here in the states or forward deployed, we all used NATO crypto and had very minimal issues.

We have Harris, in particular for ground to air.

This was before we upgraded out kit, we were still on Clansman radios, which were from the fifties, I never got to see what they were doing or what kit you guys were using....i just needed to sit there all day on an airfield in South Germany giving radio checks all day waiting to hear a little American voice at the other end

Valar Morghulis
07-12-2017, 07:39 AM
I hate to pull this card, but I'm going to trust the coaches to know what's better for the team in that case. I don't think they'd be putting Paradis out there if it was hurting the cohesion of the line.

People make mistakes, over half your country don't blindly agree with your President and his decisions despite the fact he is your President.

Sometimes the best decisions appear counter intuitive. When you are getting a lot of bad publicity for your porous offensive line... It would take a brave coach to drop your best player as per pff rankings

I'm not even 100%'sure of my opinion on Paradis, I just know "coaches know best" is stupid when used in this context.

BroncoWave
07-12-2017, 07:43 AM
People make mistakes, over half your country don't blindly agree with your President and his decisions despite the fact he is your President.

Sometimes the best decisions appear counter intuitive. When you are getting a lot of bad publicity for your porous offensive line... It would take a brave coach to drop your best player as per pff rankings

I'm not even 100%'sure of my opinion on Paradis, I just know "coaches know best" is stupid when used in this context.

I agree that "coaches know best" is usually a bad argument to use, but let's not pretend like either of us are experts on o-line cohesion. Maybe it's just my dumb fan mind, but I think it's the right call to play your best o-lineman if he is able to play, even if he can't practice.

As for the bad publicity thing, I don't think the team would have gotten any bad pub at all for not playing a guy with two known hip injuries. No one would have known he would have been our best o-lineman had he not played, so I don't think there would have been any fan outrage over it.

BroncoWave
07-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Also, it seems like the majority time during the week is spent on film study/gameplanning as opposed to physically being on the field practicing, and Paradis can still participate in all that stuff. They are only actually on the field for, what, a couple of hours a day? And they are probably in the building for 10-12 hours?

Valar Morghulis
07-12-2017, 08:01 AM
Also, it seems like the majority time during the week is spent on film study/gameplanning as opposed to physically being on the field practicing, and Paradis can still participate in all that stuff. They are only actually on the field for, what, a couple of hours a day? And they are probably in the building for 10-12 hours?

There you go wave, a critical argument that doesn't make you sound like a retard. Well done, I have no riposte.

BroncoWave
07-12-2017, 08:09 AM
There you go wave, a critical argument that doesn't make you sound like a retard. Well done, I have no riposte.

Every once in a while among all the hot takes I throw out there I can come up with something that makes a little sense. :D

Davii
07-12-2017, 12:31 PM

True, but which of those hours do you think are the most important for building chemistry on the field? I'm willing to bet it's those few hours on the field. For instance, I can take 4 days in a classroom teaching you how to shoot a rifle and when we hit the range on day one you're probably going to suck. However, if I had just taken you to the range immediately you'd be a lot better shot at the same point in time. Physical activities are best learned by performing them.

Valar Morghulis
07-12-2017, 12:32 PM
True, but which of those hours do you think are the most important for building chemistry on the field? I'm willing to bet it's those few hours on the field. For instance, I can take 4 days in a classroom teaching you how to shoot a rifle and when we hit the range on day one you're probably going to suck. However, if I had just taken you to the range immediately you'd be a lot better shot at the same point in time. Physical activities are best learned by performing them.

Check mate wave. In your face.

BroncoWave
07-12-2017, 01:56 PM

If his backup were about as good as him, I would be more in agreement with playing the backup. But Paradis is our best lineman and our backup center options were all awful last year. I agree it's not ideal to play a guy who can't practice, but I'm not really sure what other option we had. I don't think that a little better chemistry is worth the huge drop in talent we would be suffering by playing the backup.

Also, your example is kinda flawed. It's not like Paradis is just learning how to play Center. He knows how to play the position.

Checkmate back in your face, Dave!

Valar Morghulis
07-12-2017, 02:40 PM

Damn you

BroncoWave
07-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Damn you

Don't lie, you know you like it when I give it to you in the face.

Davii
07-12-2017, 03:01 PM
If his backup were about as good as him, I would be more in agreement with playing the backup. But Paradis is our best lineman and our backup center options were all awful last year. I agree it's not ideal to play a guy who can't practice, but I'm not really sure what other option we had. I don't think that a little better chemistry is worth the huge drop in talent we would be suffering by playing the backup.

Also, your example is kinda flawed. It's not like Paradis is just learning how to play Center. He knows how to play the position.

Knowing how to play center and building chemistry with your linemates are two completely different things. A change to the analogy, I can teach you to be a basic rifleman, have you understanding everything about how to shoot, move, and communicate. However, if I place you in a fireteam with three other guys that are also fully trained and ready to go your fireteam will not be as good as a group of guys who might be worse individually but have been together and training together. I'm not suggesting replacing Paradis, he is our best lineman, and I see no reason he won't be able to practice this year. All I'm saying is that practice time is essential in building the chemistry needed to work and function together as one unit no matter how awesome the individual parts are.

Your checkmate is rescinded and Dave's reinstated.

Valar Morghulis
07-12-2017, 03:06 PM

In waves and his sister's/wife/cousin's face

BroncoWave
07-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Knowing how to play center and building chemistry with your linemates are two completely different things. A change to the analogy, I can teach you to be a basic rifleman, have you understanding everything about how to shoot, move, and communicate. However, if I place you in a fireteam with three other guys that are also fully trained and ready to go your fireteam will not be as good as a group of guys who might be worse individually but have been together and training together. I'm not suggesting replacing Paradis, he is our best lineman, and I see no reason he won't be able to practice this year. All I'm saying is that practice time is essential in building the chemistry needed to work and function together as one unit no matter how awesome the individual parts are.

I never said practice time isn't important in building chemistry. Obviously it is. My only point is that given the options we had last year, playing Paradis was probably the least bad option.

Davii
07-12-2017, 03:10 PM
I never said practice time isn't important in building chemistry. Obviously it is. My only point is that given the options we had last year, playing Paradis was probably the least bad option.

I don't think that can definitely be proven either way. While I personally agree, I don't think there's really a definitive answer. Would a center who's not as good but had better chemistry with his teammates improved overall line play? No idea.

Hawgdriver
07-12-2017, 03:56 PM

I communicated displeasure via depleted uranium carrier pigeons.

Simple Jaded
07-12-2017, 09:00 PM
not Irreplaceable but ranked out as a top five Center both of the past two years. That's pretty good.

Sell high.

Simple Jaded
07-12-2017, 09:03 PM

Top was at D-day? I wish Top were my dad.

Simple Jaded
07-12-2017, 09:06 PM

It is a good take because you're not hamstringing the OL that needs to play/practice together if they have any chance of gelling and becoming better than the sum of their parts. My further point of Ferentz being backup was alluding to the fact that he's not any better healthy than Paradis at 50%, so your point (while a good take itself) was addressed.

#goodtakesaremythang

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-13-2017, 12:11 AM
Sell high.

I think you're selling while high.

Valar Morghulis
07-13-2017, 12:30 AM
I communicated displeasure via depleted uranium carrier pigeons.

******* flash pilots

Simple Jaded
07-13-2017, 10:14 PM
I think you're selling while high.

I figure we could get Sheldon Richardson and a #1 pick.

I'm just thinking bout what's best for the team. T. E. A. M...team.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-13-2017, 11:13 PM
I figure we could get Sheldon Richardson and a #1 pick.

I'm just thinking bout what's best for the team. T. E. A. M...team.

Sheldon and a #1? You really are high.

FanInAZ
07-13-2017, 11:30 PM
Top was at D-day? I wish Top were my dad.

I believe it was the 80th anniversary of D-day when someone asked if Top would be showing up online and someone else said he wouldn't because he doesn't want to talk about it.