PDA

View Full Version : All Things Star Trek

FanInAZ
06-29-2017, 03:20 PM
I've been thinking that we need a thread for this like we already have for Star Wars. I saw this video & decided to would be a great to kick-off things off with :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpE1uUL5NOM

Magnificent Seven
06-29-2017, 04:53 PM

BroncoWave
06-29-2017, 06:29 PM
Big Star Trek fan. What is your favorite series AZ? I'm a DS9 fan myself, closely followed by TNG.

Valar Morghulis
06-30-2017, 12:17 AM
TNG rocked as a kid.

Hawgdriver
06-30-2017, 01:26 AM
I like it better than the other one.

FanInAZ
06-30-2017, 02:59 AM
Although I like all of the post-TNG series better, I do wish they didn’t have so many “filler episodes” (many of which were just dumb) that served no purpose then to stretch out the seasons. My ranking of best to worse:

DS9: Although all of the series (except for the animated) had a lot of thought proving plotline, DS9 just did a better job at them. I also like the fluid political environment that required Captain Sisko to have the right balance of diplomat and a rock of strength in opposition to tyranny. Although the Federation did have high moral values, it also compromised those values from time to time in the name of political expediency, which added an element of realism that TNG lacked until towards the end of their series after DS9 raised the bar. However, what really puts it over the top for me is that it did the best job of consistently coming up with excellent conclusion episodes to their preceding cliff-hangers of any TV series of any kind that I’ve ever watched.

The Homecoming/The Circle/The Siege
The Maquis (Part 1 & 2)
Improbable Cause/The Die Is Cast
Way of the Warrior (Parts 1 & 2)
Home Front/Paradises Lost
In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light
Behind the Lines/Favor the Bold/Sacrifice of Angels
Penumbra/'Til Death Do Us Part/Strange Bedfellows/The Changing Face of Evil/When It Rains.../Tacking Into the Wind/Extreme Measures/The Dogs of War/What You Leave Behind (which were the series final 9 episode)

How many other series can produce such an impressive list over a 6 year span (I’m not counting the 1st season because it didn’t have any 2 part cliff hanger/conclusion episodes).

Enterprise: Captain Archer wanted to be an explorer & diplomat. Unfortunately, he kept getting caught in the middle of conflicts that he wanted no part of. He tried to resolve these situations as diplomatically as possible, but there some which required force. The 3rd season, which was a futuristic-fictional “9-11 scenario” (which started with the season 2 finale), was well done (aside from it having so many of the dumb filler episode I previously mentioned that really detracted from the flow of the season).

Voyager: Best job of any series of any kind in which so many characters developed over the seasons to become better than they were when they were 1st introduced. Ensign Kim developing from a raw academy graduate to a confident & competent officer. Paris & Neelix had backstories of being scoundrels who both grew to be reliable and intrical parts of the crew. B'Elanna had so much anger issues, especially towards Star Fleet, in the pilot episode that she only referred to Ensign Kim as “Star Fleet.” In the 2nd episode, she punched Lieutenant Carey & broke his nose because he got in her way when she wanted to do something differently then he said it should be done. Over the course of the 1st season, she became a model Star Fleet officer after she was promoted to chief engineer at the end of episode 2. Last, but certainly not least, 7 of 9 being disconnected from the Borg & the process she went through to regain her humanity that was stolen from her as a child.

TNG: It was good & obviously far better than the cheesy original. I’d also say that it was cutting edge because it wasn’t just a series of almost all standalone episodes that rarely tied into the prior ones. It was definitely 1st TV series that I can remember doing what’s now probably considered SOP for TV series, a single storyline through several episodes, some separated by several unrelated episodes &/or seasons. Although the original Battlestar Galactica did have a series of 6 consecutive episodes that did tie together, I just don't put what they did in that stretch the same league as TNG, which I see as pioneering the practice.

The Original: It may have been cutting edge for its time, but that’s not really saying much :lol:

The Animated Series: I guess it wasn’t any dumber than any other children’s cartoon from my childhood, but Super Friends was my #1 & Scooby Doo was probably a distant 2nd :listen:

Tned
06-30-2017, 02:16 PM
I liked DS9 and TNG, but think Enterprise was my favorite.

Valar Morghulis
06-30-2017, 02:24 PM
I liked DS9 and TNG, but think Enterprise was my favorite.

I love Scott balka or what ever his name is, but I couldn't get into that

Surprised they are not making a new series in the tradition of ten episode big budget tv shows these days, I bet that would be awesome

BroncoWave
06-30-2017, 02:25 PM
I never saw any of Enterprise. It just never struck me as something I was dying to watch. Maybe I will one day just so can check it off my list.

Timmy!
06-30-2017, 03:21 PM
I love Scott balka or what ever his name is, but I couldn't get into that

Surprised they are not making a new series in the tradition of ten episode big budget tv shows these days, I bet that would be awesome

Oh Dave......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery

BroncoJoe
06-30-2017, 03:47 PM
Anyone who doesn't appreciate the original Star Trek isn't really a Star Trek fan. It's easily #1.

Timmy!
06-30-2017, 03:56 PM
Thanks father time!

weazel
06-30-2017, 04:08 PM
star trek is awesome

http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/ccManager/clips/bsgorigcylonleader.mp4/thumbnailImage

BroncoJoe
06-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Thanks father time!

It was an amazing show considering when it was made.

Like it or not, all the resurrections of the show are due to the original.

It's kind of like people complaining about the original Star Wars film not being up to standards of today's films in regard to CGI. Silly.

MOtorboat
06-30-2017, 05:37 PM
I've enjoyed some of the movies, especially the newest ones. Couldn't get into any of the TV shows. I thought the Next Generation (?) shows and movies were not very good at all.

FanInAZ
06-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Anyone who doesn't appreciate the original Star Trek isn't really a Star Trek fan. It's easily #1.

It was an amazing show considering when it was made.

Like it or not, all the resurrections of the show are due to the original.

It's kind of like people complaining about the original Star Wars film not being up to standards of today's films in regard to CGI. Silly.

I never said I didn't appreciate the original for what it was compared to what it was up against and that I watched when I was a kid. However, it was like the 2016 Texans who won the AFCS, but would finished in last place in the AFCW due to us having the tie breaking advantage if they they switched the divisions with the Chargers. I would say that "Space: 1999" was the 2016 Jaguars because there aren't too many shows that are worse no matter what time period you put it in, but that didn't come out until the mid-70s. Feel free to nominate a show for the late 60s as the metaphoric 2016 Browns :D

Note that the assessments in my previous posts don't mention anything about special effects because for me, its all about the quality of the story lines. In fact, I consider most of today's "action" films as comedies because the stunts & special effect are so ridiculous. Now that they are maximising the body count, including innocents that get murdered, I now consider this the glory days for the Hollywood terrorists. Its impossible to determine the exact body count in "London Has Fallen," but I'd estimate the kill ratio to be somewhere between 100-1 to 1,000-1 in favor of the terrorists. So the bottomline is that all of these special effects that have supplanted quality plots as the foundations of the movies & TV shows are a complete turnoff to me.

BroncoWave
06-30-2017, 07:24 PM

#oldmanthings

FanInAZ
06-30-2017, 07:45 PM
I've enjoyed some of the movies, especially the newest ones. Couldn't get into any of the TV shows. I thought the Next Generation (?) shows and movies were not very good at all.

How far did you make it through TNG? Gene Roddenberry, the creator of the entire franchise, was still a writer and producer of the show until he passed away during the airing of the 5th season. A lot of things changed after that, most notably for me as a Christian, the show stopped being so condescending toward those who embraced "backward superstitions." "Q" was a character with Godlike attributes that behaved like a court jester, until he started behaving like an adult in season 6. Although he was still an annoying narcissus through out his remaining appearances on TNG, DS9 & Voyager.

MOtorboat
06-30-2017, 07:51 PM
About an episode.

FanInAZ
06-30-2017, 07:56 PM
About an episode.

Tell me that it wasn't the pilot, which was probably the worse pilot of any of the series. If it was, I understand why you gave up on it so quickly.

BroncoWave
06-30-2017, 08:39 PM
About an episode.

Dude, seriously? You didn't give it more of a chance than that? The first two seasons are kinda meh, but it really picks up after that. Watch "The Best of Both Worlds" if you really want to see it at its peak.

MOtorboat
06-30-2017, 08:51 PM
Dude, seriously? You didn't give it more of a chance than that? The first two seasons are kinda meh, but it really picks up after that. Watch "The Best of Both Worlds" if you really want to see it at its peak.

I like most of the movies. I've tried a few of the series. I watched a couple episodes of Deep Space Nine and the pilot there. I just don't have the desire to watch the series. I didn't think any of it was very good. Just my opinion of it. The new movies are excellent. The first five movies I like, especially Search for Spock, The Voyage Home and Final Frontier.

BroncoWave
06-30-2017, 09:39 PM
Pretty much all of the new trek series are pretty mediocre in the first few seasons then they get really good. I admit I don't know your tastes but I do think you'd like them if you watched the better seasons. The episode I mentioned of TNG is every bit as good if not better than any of the new movies.

Hawgdriver
06-30-2017, 11:50 PM
I keep thinking I should try to get into TNG since there is so much content. Tried once.

Valar Morghulis
07-01-2017, 12:32 AM
I used to spend a few minutes every night thinking about deanna troy and Beverley crusher.

FanInAZ
08-10-2017, 03:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUiDc6pOfxw

FanInAZ
09-02-2017, 12:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIRRDO7_SZI

FanInAZ
12-30-2018, 04:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HliIwL4isA

Nomad
02-28-2019, 01:51 PM
LoL. I thought this was funny.