PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Von Miller becomes 'new DeMarcus,' mentors Bolles

Denver Native (Carol)
06-22-2017, 10:01 AM
CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- The evolution of Von Miller played out before my eyes.

Last Monday, between first-team snaps, Miller pulled aside rookie left tackle Garett Bolles. He worked with Bolles on his feet, his hand placement, on nuances to prevent the former Utah star from tipping off a fang-bearing pass rusher of his intent.

The scene looked strikingly familiar. It played out countless times the previous three seasons. Except DeMarcus Ware served as the teacher. Miller credits Ware, a player he grew up idolizing, for arriving at the perfect time in his life. Ware helped Miller mature, sharing everything from pass rush tips to diet and sleeping advice.

Ware retired, but Miller continues to pay it forward, filling the vacuum

AND

No one is more aware than Bolles. Miller has taken to the rookie. Bolles is not a kid, turning 25 last month. The Broncos appreciate his intensity, and enthusiasm. Miller sees the wag in the puppy's tale, and loves it. The pair has talked repeatedly over the last few weeks. It happened organically, leading to the scene at practice last week.

"Oh yeah. You know I really like Bolles. It's bigger than just trying to help him so he can become a great rookie. I see a lot of similarities in who I was when I first came into the league," Miller told Denver7. "I am spending a lot of time with him not just on the football field but in the locker room. We are the last ones out of the the locker room. He's goofy like me. He asks a million questions. I like kicking it with Bolles. He's a good dude."

full article - http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/broncos-von-miller-becomes-new-demarcus-mentors-bolles

dogfish
06-23-2017, 10:40 AM
that is awesome. . . we need bowles to come on in a hurry, and personal coaching from von certainly can't hurt. . . it's also cool to see VM stepping up to that leadership role after getting the contract he did. . .

Simple Jaded
06-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Miller needs an OLB to mentor, someone not named Shaq Barrett.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Miller needs an OLB to mentor, someone not named Shaq Barrett.

Lawrence Taylor?

Simple Jaded
06-24-2017, 11:10 PM
Lawrence Taylor?

I don't think I like your tone...

Cugel
06-24-2017, 11:39 PM
that is awesome. . . we need bowles to come on in a hurry, and personal coaching from von certainly can't hurt. . . it's also cool to see VM stepping up to that leadership role after getting the contract he did. . .

Yes it doesn't suck that Von is giving Bolles help on not tipping off the defender as to the play by his stance. This is a big deal for rookie linemen. Normally, they are so intent on what they have to do on a given play that they often telegraph the blocking scheme by their stance alone. "Oh, he's rocking back a bit on his heels getting ready to go into pass protection."

NFL DL are so good you can't give them any added advantage or they will win almost every battle. And the offense has only 1 real advantage over the defense. They know the play and the defense doesn't. Lose that and it's an uneven contest.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-25-2017, 12:40 AM
I don't think I like your tone...

C'mon man, he obviously needs a little life wisdom.

Simple Jaded
06-25-2017, 05:43 PM
C'mon man, he obviously needs a little life wisdom.

Randy Gregory or Aldon Smith.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-25-2017, 07:55 PM

Yes

dogfish
06-25-2017, 08:14 PM

he can mentor gregory by teaching him how to pay off the sample collector, or dilute properly. . .

Simple Jaded
06-26-2017, 12:10 AM
he can mentor gregory by teaching him how to pay off the sample collector, or dilute properly. . .

Allegedly.