PDA

View Full Version : Heads up: Moving server in next one to two weeks, might be downtime

tned-admin
06-15-2017, 02:37 AM
The company where I lease the server from has been bought and based on the reports I'm hearing, the new company is having major support issues. People are having trouble tickets taking 12+ hours to get responses, etc. This server has not been migrated to the new company, but it will likely happen soon. So, I'm going to move BF to a different company that has a very good reputation for fast response on support issues.

I'll either do it this weekend or next week. I'll be tied up with a business event/out of town most of next week, so if I get confirmation that this server isn't scheduled to be moved to the new company in the next week or two, then I will probably wait until after next week and likely move it the weekend of the 24th.

Unlike recent moves that have just been upgrading servers, this will be moving to a new company, with new server IPs, etc. So, there might be some downtime, but hopefully not more than a few hours at most.

T

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-15-2017, 07:53 AM
How do you feel about rompers?

weazel
06-15-2017, 09:10 AM
How do you feel about rompers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td1KAgrYUGA

dogfish
06-15-2017, 01:07 PM
cool, thanks for the head's up-- i will be sure to blame any inconvenience on NTL. . . :D

tned-admin
06-15-2017, 01:57 PM
The other thing I noticed last night was that there was something wrong with the ads which was making the site load slow and keep popping you to the bottom of the page. I went ahead and disabled virtually all the ads until I have time to investigate. I think they were all being served by the USA Today Sports Media Group so I am surprised by that behavior. Ideally, I will be able to get some back up at some point, as they partially offset the monthly cost, but until I have time to investigate, I've just pulled them down so they aren't screwing with the site performance. If that's been going on for a while, sorry, but haven't been on in a bit and didn't know.

BroncoJoe
06-15-2017, 02:50 PM
The other thing I noticed last night was that there was something wrong with the ads which was making the site load slow and keep popping you to the bottom of the page. I went ahead and disabled virtually all the ads until I have time to investigate. I think they were all being served by the USA Today Sports Media Group so I am surprised by that behavior. Ideally, I will be able to get some back up at some point, as they partially offset the monthly cost, but until I have time to investigate, I've just pulled them down so they aren't screwing with the site performance. If that's been going on for a while, sorry, but haven't been on in a bit and didn't know.

We miss you T. Well, at least I do.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2017, 06:12 PM
We miss you T. Well, at least I do.

So do I T

sneakers
06-16-2017, 06:27 AM
AAaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:

DenBronx
06-16-2017, 06:36 AM
Wow, kiss up to "the man" why don't ya.

tned-admin
06-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Going to switch in an hour or so. It will likely be down for an hour or so, once it starts. More accurately, I will turn off the forum on the old server (so I think you will be able to view but not post), so you will know you are on the new server when you are able to post again (plus I'll post in this thread).

It "should" be fairly non disruptive.

Northman
06-17-2017, 11:31 AM
You really should hang out more. I feel abandoned.... lol

tned-admin
06-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Ok, I've tested (ish) the forum on the new server. I'm going to start the live transfer now. In order to minimize downtime, I can't turn the forum off on the old server, so any posts on the old server after this time might not show up on the new server.

So, if you post something and it winds up not being there in an hour or so, that's why.

T

tned-admin
06-17-2017, 01:20 PM
I'm checking things out, but I "think" this is posted on the new server.

Nomad
06-17-2017, 05:31 PM
Thanks, tned. BF is an awesome community.

dogfish
06-17-2017, 06:05 PM
You really should hang out more. I feel abandoned.... lol

really. . . T, come hoooome. . .

Nomad
06-17-2017, 06:06 PM
really. . . T, come hoooome. . .

T...phone home:D

tned-admin
06-17-2017, 07:16 PM
Well, I might start spending more time here, but gotta admit, I've been spending most of my time on a Las Vegas Raiders board.

They have best O-line in the west. Best QB in the west. Best WR in the west. Best pass rusher in the west. Best washed up RB making a comeback in the west...

It's hard to tear myself away from that...

Hawgdriver
06-17-2017, 09:58 PM
*ahem*

-rubs nose-

Yo, wtf Tned???

Tned
06-17-2017, 10:14 PM
*ahem*

-rubs nose-

Yo, wtf Tned???

I think someone must have hacked that account, so I'm switching back to my non-mod, posting account....

Northman
06-18-2017, 04:28 AM
Lol

WTE
06-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Well they do have the best QB in the West.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Well they do have the best QB in the West.

Agreed-

FanInAZ
06-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Best WR was perplexing, best pass rusher went way too far. My 1st thought that is looked like something OR would post, but he never gave any indication of having enough computer savvy to hack someone's account.

Rick
06-18-2017, 07:34 PM
I think you moved away from virtual servers didn't you?

You might think on them again someday and look into azure. We used azure servers at work for several things and it's a great service.

Can be pricey though, but nice to have the easy to scale up or down options and very easy database backup and restore.

Tned
06-18-2017, 08:13 PM
I think you moved away from virtual servers didn't you?

You might think on them again someday and look into azure. We used azure servers at work for several things and it's a great service.

Can be pricey though, but nice to have the easy to scale up or down options and very easy database backup and restore.

I switched back to virtual servers about a year ago. The biggest issue with hosted VPS in the past was I/O bottlenecks, but RAID10 SSD based arrays generally fixed that, along with nodes having 26-32 cores of 6th or 7th gen processors, and I've found that for the dollars there is much more performance per dollar with VPS vs single (four core) proc server.

I started to look at cloud about a year ago, but decided to give the VPSs a try.

Tned
06-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Ooops, and down goes frazier. I setup a backup job that filled up the disk, which is why the site crashed for about 15 minutes this morning.

BroncoJoe
06-19-2017, 08:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V0TYIO6yv4

:D

Tned
06-19-2017, 01:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V0TYIO6yv4

:D

That's the same damn thing I asked!!

BroncoJoe
06-19-2017, 02:33 PM
That's the same damn thing I asked!!

Right? And I bet there were like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo

Tned
06-19-2017, 04:42 PM
How long have the icons been all messed up? The MHS being a dark star (or is that a sherrif's badge) and stuff?

Denver Native (Carol)
06-19-2017, 06:00 PM
How long have the icons been all messed up? The MHS being a dark star (or is that a sherrif's badge) and stuff?

For quite a while

Tned
06-19-2017, 06:02 PM
For quite a while

Yea, I know what happened now. I upgraded the forum in March, right before I went on a trip, because there was a security vulnerability. I did quick testing to make sure all was working, but didn't notice the buttons and since I haven't been posting regularly, didn't realize they were messed up. Oops. But, at least I have them fixed now.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Yea, I know what happened now. I upgraded the forum in March, right before I went on a trip, because there was a security vulnerability. I did quick testing to make sure all was working, but didn't notice the buttons and since I haven't been posting regularly, didn't realize they were messed up. Oops. But, at least I have them fixed now.

You know how Gem is. She's noticed for a long time, but has the gangsta tude about it.

She don't care 'bout no stinkin icons.

Simple Jaded
06-19-2017, 09:57 PM
I'd like to change my avatar to something inappropriate and/or offensive but the site is being a tw@t, what happened?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-19-2017, 10:30 PM
I'd like to change my avatar to something inappropriate and/or offensive but the site is being a tw@t, what happened?

Your posts have all that covered.

Tned
06-20-2017, 06:09 AM

Depends. Are you saying we are old and stodgy and won't let yo have a smokin half naked hottie as your avatar. Or, are you saying the system won't let you change it? If the latter, can you tell me exactly what's happening so I can try and replicate and fix?

Tned
06-20-2017, 04:11 PM
Just found out image uploads weren't working correctly (not sure if it's been that way for a while or just since the server move a few days ago). I fixed that. Anything else messed up I should know of?

By the way, if your buttons (reply, MHS, etc.) are still the dark grey and not orange, you need to delete your temp files/cache or possibly do a CTRL-Refresh.