PDA

View Full Version : Respect, loyalty, competition: The complex legacy of Broncos CB Aqib Talib

Denver Native (Carol)
06-11-2017, 10:39 AM
RICHARDSON, Texas – The humidity is draining on this 80-something degree Texas day even though the sun is hidden. The clouds gain control of the skies and threaten rain which never comes. The hot, worn turf field is starting to hurt some feet.

Front and center stands Broncos all-pro cornerback Aqib Talib, full of energy, rocking a gray Yellow Jackets United long-sleeved shirt, representing the youth football organization he helps run and finance. On this recent Sunday, he is “Coach Aqib” to more than 100 grade-school children hanging on every word of his postcamp speech, during which he tells them to chase their dreams and emphasizes the importance of staying out of trouble.

It’s odd to hear this message from Talib, who has had his share of off-the-field incidents extending back to his college days at Kansas. But that’s exactly what makes him real to the kids.

Talib probably is a little bit of whatever you think he is — rough around the edges, a special talent, authentic, a loose cannon — but here he is the man. And, at age 31, entering the twilight of his NFL career, the word legacy has been eating at him. He is beginning to wonder how he will be remembered.

rest - plus video - http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/11/aqib-talib-broncos-respect-loyalty-competition/

DT88TheGreat
06-11-2017, 10:11 PM
Talib is a Broncos legend. Stealing him from the cheatriots is one of the best things elway has done.

Simple Jaded
06-11-2017, 11:52 PM
Someday he's gonna suck, let's trade him now.

FanInAZ
06-12-2017, 01:07 AM

Move him to safety.

Shazam!
06-12-2017, 11:18 PM

Move him to safety.

He was kidding I thought.

Hawgdriver
06-12-2017, 11:33 PM

https://twinpeaksfreaks.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/zen.png

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-12-2017, 11:45 PM

Joel has been saying for two years we should trade Talib because he's gonna lose a step and won't be worth his contract anymore

Canmore
06-13-2017, 12:00 AM
Joel has been saying for two years we should trade Talib because he's gonna lose a step and won't be worth his contract anymore

Some day he will be right...some day.

FanInAZ
06-13-2017, 12:28 AM

Are we that far removed from Champ Bailey that only Dave caught on to what I was doing?

Hawgdriver
06-13-2017, 12:30 AM
Are we that far removed from Champ Bailey that only Dave caught on to what I was doing?

Maybe, idk. It was obvious to me. Probably most others.

Valar Morghulis
06-13-2017, 12:35 AM

Don't worry, I gotcha!!

Buff
06-13-2017, 10:26 AM
I absolutely love the man - but this piece was kind of silly... It's like it had aspirations of launching his sainthood candidacy - and clumsily tried to work in the "shot myself in the ass accidentally but learned from it" narrative.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-13-2017, 10:44 AM
I absolutely love the man - but this piece was kind of silly... It's like it had aspirations of launching his sainthood candidacy - and clumsily tried to work in the "shot myself in the ass accidentally but learned from it" narrative.

It's one of those, "you can't make this stuff up" moments.

HORSEPOWER 56
06-17-2017, 08:16 AM
I love Talib. He and Ward are the attitude of the defense and really the whole team. Talib is the hood rat, shit-talking, spokesman who backs it up on the field and Ward is the enforcer.

I think it's awesome that Talib has become our unofficial spokesman for after prime time pressers.

dogfish
06-17-2017, 06:07 PM
#Drippin'

Cugel
06-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Basically, Talib is "touched". He's a bit dangerous and sometimes he lives his life that way. He's also one of the top 3 CBs in the NFL over the last 3 seasons, nobody has caught a TD pass on him in all that time.

Not one.

Every team needs a few of those kind of guys, especially on Defense. Does he sometimes do stupid things? Yes. So what? You deal with it unless his skills actually do diminish to the point where he's not worth while. At that point they will release him and you'll know "he can't play anymore."