PDA

View Full Version : NFL Spring League Meeting: Owners likely to shorten overtime

Denver Native (Carol)
05-23-2017, 09:04 AM
CHICAGO -- With relocation no longer looming over their agenda, NFL owners are expected to turn their attention at a brief meeting here to two issues that will shape the game on the field.

Owners are expected to approve a proposal to reduce the length of overtime in the preseason and regular season from 15 minutes to 10 minutes. The shift is being billed as a player-safety issue, because of concerns about the number of additional plays if teams play a full 15-minute overtime, particularly if one of those teams has to play its next game on a short week.

When first discussed during March's Annual League Meeting in Phoenix, the idea garnered strong support from coaches, who see the effects of long overtimes up close. Baltimore's John Harbaugh said players are usually exhausted by the 10-minute mark of overtime, and they are merely trying to hang on for the final five minutes.

Reaction from fans, though, has been largely negative, mostly rooted in the premise that shorter overtimes will lead to more ties. Since the creation of modern overtime rules in 1974, there has never been more than two ties in a single season.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000810189/article/nfl-spring-league-meeting-owners-likely-to-shorten-overtime?campaign=tw-nf-sf80769875-sf80769875&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Davii
05-23-2017, 10:25 AM
I don't like it. If player safety on a short week is such a concern for the league maybe getting rid of Thursday football would be a better move. Especially given that Thursday games are typically terrible.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-23-2017, 10:39 AM
I don't like it. If player safety on a short week is such a concern for the league maybe getting rid of Thursday football would be a better move. Especially given that Thursday games are typically terrible.

I think there's an easy solution where teams involved don't play the Sunday before or after a Thursday game

Davii
05-23-2017, 11:20 AM
I think there's an easy solution where teams involved don't play the Sunday before or after a Thursday game

So the only teams that play Thursday then would be coming off a bye. I think that could work, but I brought it up more because it was mentioned in the story as "those poor players have to play 5 extra minutes when they might have a Thursday game upcoming", so if they're REALLY worried about that they'll do away with Thursday.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-23-2017, 11:28 AM
So the only teams that play Thursday then would be coming off a bye. I think that could work, but I brought it up more because it was mentioned in the story as "those poor players have to play 5 extra minutes when they might have a Thursday game upcoming", so if they're REALLY worried about that they'll do away with Thursday.

I understood what you were saying and am in agreement that Thursday games demonstrate a fair amount of hypocrisy from the league.

The Glue Factory
05-23-2017, 11:32 AM
I'm ok with a 10 min OT. Gives a bit more incentive for the players to hurry up and win the cotton picking game already!

Denver Native (Carol)
05-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Touchdown celebrations:
snow angels, group demonstrations
and more are back!
Just as NFL teams use the offseason to get better, at the league we use this time to listen to players, coaches, officials and fans about how we can continue to improve our great game.

Earlier this spring, we announced plans to deliver a more exciting game experience, with changes to improve the pace of the game and minimize unnecessary disruptions to the action on the field. We also took important steps on health and safety, including approving new rules prohibiting the "leaper" block attempt—a top priority from our players.

Today, we are excited to tell you about another change that comes after conversations with more than 80 current and former players: we are relaxing our rules on celebrations to allow players more room to have fun after they make big plays.

rest - http://epidm.edgesuite.net/CMS/NFL/Commissioner_Letter.html

DT88TheGreat
05-23-2017, 09:53 PM

This is a good move, allowing fun back into the league. Aslong as players kill the twerking BS.

FanInAZ
05-23-2017, 10:17 PM

This is one of the few time the NFL has actually made a change the fans wanted :2thumbs: