PDA

View Full Version : Shaquil Barrett delivers keynote address at the Broncos' Futures Football banquet

Denver Native (Carol)
05-17-2017, 10:13 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Shaquil Barrett had never given a speech like this before.

On Tuesday night, though, he stood up in front of 500 middle school football players and coaches at the Broncos' 10th annual Futures Football banquet to share his story of becoming an NFL athlete and a Super Bowl 50 champion.

Here is the speech that Barrett gave:

“Hi, everyone. My name’s Shaquil Barrett. I’m a linebacker for the Denver Broncos. I’m from Baltimore, and for those of you that don’t know, that’s in Maryland. I’ve got a couple stories I want to tell y’all about how I overcame adversity, how to be mentally tough and how to be a great athlete, team player and selfless player. I want to share with you how to be successful as a person and as a player in whatever you do in life.

I want to start off by congratulating you all on finishing up another season, and congratulate everyone who is about to go to high school. There’s a lot of opportunity and a lot of chances for you to become a better player, better athlete and better student.

For me in high school, I tried out for the JV team in 10th grade. I was a running back, fullback and tight end my entire career. The coaches did tryouts and decided that I wasn’t the best person for that position. In my head, I’m disappointed. I think, ‘I’m one of the best players on this team. I should be running back or full back.’ Coach didn’t agree and said, ‘You’re going to play offensive line.’

rest - long but good - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Shaquil-Barrett-delivers-keynote-address-at-the-Broncos-Futures-Football-banquet/a2641130-644a-4372-a591-207ebe361162