PDA

View Full Version : Beth Mowins, Rex Ryan to call Broncos/Chargers MNF opener

VonDoom
05-15-2017, 08:10 AM
The last woman to call play by play for an NFL regular season game was Gayle Sierens, who retired in 2015 after a long career as a news anchor in Tampa, Fla. For those too young to remember, Sierens was assigned by NBC Sports to call the Seahawks-Chiefs game on Dec. 27, 1987, a game played on the final week of the regular season that year. Following that broadcast and good reviews, then-NBC Sports executive producer Mike Weisman offered Sierens six more games for the following season. But Sierens’ local NBC station did not want her to call more games and miss work. So Sierens never called another NFL game.

You are now officially updated on all the women who have served as game-callers for an NFL regular season game.

That is about to change, according to multiple sources. ESPN broadcaster Beth Mowins will be given the play by play assignment for the Sept. 11 game between Chargers and Broncos in Denver, the late game of the Monday Night Football opening week doubleheader. Former Bills and Jets head coach Rex Ryan is likely to be her game analyst. Ryan was hired by ESPN in April and the Monday Night Football assignment would be his debut as an NFL color commentator. Mowins and Ryan called the Florida State spring game together last April.

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/05/14/media-circus-beth-mowins?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Awesome, I hope she hits it out of the park.

Hawgdriver
05-15-2017, 09:31 AM
What do you guys think about Ryan? I'm not crazy about him, but he might be good at this kind of thing.

Who is Beth?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2017, 09:33 AM
What do you guys think about Ryan? I'm not crazy about him, but he might be good at this kind of thing.

Who is Beth?

Well, he likes to talk.

Rick
05-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Hopefully she covers her feet.

turftoad
05-15-2017, 10:09 AM
This should be interesting!

MOtorboat
05-15-2017, 11:08 AM

Who is Beth?

She's done a ton of college athletics for ESPN. She's one of the voices on early Big Ten football games. I think she's good, she'll get out of Ryan's way.

Buff
05-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Can't be worse than Berman/Dilfer who have been calling that slot for the last couple years.

slim
05-15-2017, 02:04 PM
Is she hot?

Timmy!
05-15-2017, 04:40 PM
Ummmm, alright. I think Rex could be pretty good as a color guy. He's got a sense of humor.

Hawgdriver
05-15-2017, 05:47 PM
Is she hot?

That's all that really matters here. Something to offset Rex's turdfactor.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2017, 09:42 PM
Considering Rex's quantity of golden sound bites he might turn out to be a rock star at calling games

MOtorboat
05-15-2017, 10:12 PM
His bit should be "let's go get a snack." And he'll go try some food somewhere in the area.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2017, 10:16 PM
His bit should be "let's go get a snack." And he'll go try some food somewhere in the area.

That made me chuckle.

He should put his foot to the ground and grab some grub.

FanInAZ
05-15-2017, 10:37 PM
Is she hot?

That's all that really matters here. Something to offset Rex's turdfactor.

Actually, she is pretty hot, for someone who will be turning 50 in 11 days.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Beth+Mowins&fr=yset_chr_syc_oracle&type=default

In all seriousness, I'm sick & tired of all of these eye candy sideline reporters that don't know enough about football to ask intelligent questions, especially during post-game interviews. If she has genuine football knowledge, then I'd be happy to listen to her.

As far as Rex, I'm also sick & tired of QBs & WRs getting all of the prime game spots, resulting in people getting this idea that the passing game is all that matters. I'm not just talking about the fan base, but also the owners who hire the GMs & HCs. If Rex does a decent job of explaining why Ds matter, then maybe we won't have as many New Orlean Saints type teams that have great Os every year, but hasn't had a respectable D since possibly the early 90s. Then all we'll need is to get a RB to be given a chance at a prime spot so the fan base, especially the owners, will understand that an effective running game is still needed in today's NFL, especially if you don't want to get your superstar QB kill because they throwing 40+ passes per game behind garbage OLs.

Freyaka
05-16-2017, 09:27 AM
Actually, she is pretty hot, for someone who will be turning 50 in 11 days.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Beth+Mowins&fr=yset_chr_syc_oracle&type=default

In all seriousness, I'm sick & tired of all of these eye candy sideline reporters that don't know enough about football to ask intelligent questions, especially during post-game interviews. If she has genuine football knowledge, then I'd be happy to listen to her.

As far as Rex, I'm also sick & tired of QBs & WRs getting all of the prime game spots, resulting in people getting this idea that the passing game is all that matters. I'm not just talking about the fan base, but also the owners who hire the GMs & HCs. If Rex does a decent job of explaining why Ds matter, then maybe we won't have as many New Orlean Saints type teams that have great Os every year, but hasn't had a respectable D since possibly the early 90s. Then all we'll need is to get a RB to be given a chance at a prime spot so the fan base, especially the owners, will understand that an effective running game is still needed in today's NFL, especially if you don't want to get your superstar QB kill because they throwing 40+ passes per game behind garbage OLs.

Don't like people gushing and talking about QB's non-stop? I've got great news for you, Rex Ryan doesn't know a dang thing about QB's, never has :D

Buff
05-16-2017, 09:45 AM

This is a 5 star poast.

BeefStew25
05-16-2017, 09:17 PM
I'm gonna be the contrarian here. Not a fan of this.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-16-2017, 09:18 PM
I'm gonna be the contrarian here. Not a fan of this.

Why is that?

BeefStew25
05-16-2017, 09:26 PM
Why is that?

In totally good faith, I like my football to be masculine. It's a dude escape. I don't know if she is good or not. She prolly is. But every male thing is invaded by women. And most dudes cheer it on to kiss ass to feminists.

MasterShake
05-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Can't be worse than Berman/Dilfer who have been calling that slot for the last couple years.

Berman is ok in small doses but he really sucked at the game call. I think Ryan could be good, but I don't know anything about Beth Mowins. The key will be chemistry and I am looking forward to see how it translates. I just hope Romo doesn't make me miss Phill Simms, I keep forgetting his smug ass got fired. I think he is doing the NFL Today show now?

slim
05-17-2017, 10:44 AM
In totally good faith, I like my football to be masculine. It's a dude escape. I don't know if she is good or not. She prolly is. But every male thing is invaded by women. And most dudes cheer it on to kiss ass to feminists.

Giving them the right to vote was a big mistake.

BeefStew25
05-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Giving them the right to vote was a big mistake.

It's doesn't matter now. They would just identify as a man.

Shazam!
05-18-2017, 05:18 AM
I'm not for her but she can't be worse than Tony Kornheiser.